Home
Posted By: Just a Hunter NULA Rifles ? - 11/23/20
I have been thinking of getting a NULA in .284 Win for awhile now. I have never seen one, but have heard good things about them? What is the balance like? I have a Barrett Fieldcraft that I really like, is very accurate and balances nice, but aren't made anymore sadly. And didn't come in the .284. Does the NULA have a similar feel?
Posted By: Teeder Re: NULA Rifles ? - 11/23/20
Interested in this as well.
Posted By: battue Re: NULA Rifles ? - 11/23/20
Yes....although if you want you can specify different barrel diameters than what come standard on a Nula. At which time Mr Forbes will balance the rifle for your specified barrel.
Posted By: lhead71 Re: NULA Rifles ? - 11/23/20
I have that exact rifle and to me it is both similar and different. Weight is similar but the stock is different in the wrist area. It would be the last rifle I sold.
Posted By: StudDuck Re: NULA Rifles ? - 11/24/20
Anyone know his current lead-time?
Posted By: gene270 Re: NULA Rifles ? - 11/24/20
i find the grip to be very similar on the nula vs fieldcraft but find the forearm thinner on the nula
i talked to melvin last week he said 5 months we shall see
Posted By: JoeBob Re: NULA Rifles ? - 11/24/20
Find a Forbes rifle and get it re-barreled. You will have a cheap NULA in less time.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: NULA Rifles ? - 11/24/20
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Find a Forbes rifle and get it re-barreled. You will have a cheap NULA in less time.

You might or might not. Only the early Forbes rifles were made to the correct specs--which is why Melvin demanded his "partners" buy him out after less than two years into the deal. (It's also why the Melvin-free Forbes company went out of business within another year or so.)

Plus, if I recall correctly, none of the short-action Forbes rifles were made in .284. Instead they were all in .308-based rounds. A Forbes rebarreled to .284 might not feed correctly.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: NULA Rifles ? - 11/24/20
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

You might or might not. Only the early Forbes rifles were made to the correct specs--which is why Melvin demanded his "partners" buy him out after less than two years into the deal. (It's also why the Melvin-free Forbes company went out of business within another year or so.)

Plus, if I recall correctly, none of the short-action Forbes rifles were made in .284. Instead they were all in .308-based rounds. A Forbes rebarreled to .284 might not feed correctly.

Getting it re-barreled and the stock fit correctly and a thorough going over by Melvin will cost you about $700. Melvin is easy enough to talk to, that he’ll probably tell you if you could expect any chambering problems before you even find a Forbes rifle to buy.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: NULA Rifles ? - 11/24/20
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I have been thinking of getting a NULA in .284 Win for awhile now. I have never seen one, but have heard good things about them? What is the balance like? I have a Barrett Fieldcraft that I really like, is very accurate and balances nice, but aren't made anymore sadly. And didn't come in the .284. Does the NULA have a similar feel?

I had a 22” #1 ULA in 284 and several others over the years. Sold them all. There’s nothing not to like about them, except the cost and the action is chrome moly. Also had several Forbes rifles and now have several Fieldcraft. My suggestion, if you have a Fieldcraft short action, would be to have it rebarreled in 284 Win if that cartridge is your preference. But, unless you are just nostalgic about the 284 (I was), I’d just do a 7-08.

I lucked into a Fieldcraft 7-08, and love it. I would put it up against the NULA any day. All stainless. Same quality stock bedded full length. Accurate. Timney trigger, etc. You know because you have one.
Posted By: sheephunter2 Re: NULA Rifles ? - 11/24/20
A real Melvin Forbes NULA Model 20 in 284 Win is hard to beat. I've had one (a ULA) with a #2 contour 22" Douglas barrel for 30 years. Only thing I've ever shot in it is what Melvin said to shoot when I bought it a 140 grain Nosler Partition (yesterday's bullet today) and 55 grains of IMR 4350. Pretty much kills whatever you point it at. Over the years I have collected 2 more ULA 284's (they are like that) and several more ULAs and one NULA. Best mountain rifle out there IMHO. I recently acquired a Barrett Fieldcraft w 24" #2 contour barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor and it is a Very nice rifle. A close second to Melvin's NULA but it is his design after all. If you have your heart set on a NULA Model 20 in 284 Win you will not regret it. That Barrett is growing on me though and am looking for another. It's your deal man. Pull the trigger.
Posted By: vabowhntr Re: NULA Rifles ? - 11/25/20
Had a chance to buy a used .308 NULA at cabelas in Gainesville Va for $999 a year or so ago. I figured they thought it was a Forbes and priced it accordingly. Passed as the camo was well worn and there was enough copper in the barrel to see by just glancing at it. Decided I already had a fieldcraft I loved in 30-06, and didn’t need another rifle.

Now, I wish I would have bought it.
Posted By: skeen Re: NULA Rifles ? - 11/25/20
Originally Posted by vabowhntr
Had a chance to buy a used .308 NULA at cabelas in Gainesville Va for $999 a year or so ago. I figured they thought it was a Forbes and priced it accordingly. Passed as the camo was well worn and there was enough copper in the barrel to see by just glancing at it. Decided I already had a fieldcraft I loved in 30-06, and didn’t need another rifle.

Damn!
Posted By: gene270 Re: NULA Rifles ? - 11/25/20
quick trip to melvin would have fixed all that for about 700.00 you would have had a new NULA
Posted By: 257heaven Re: NULA Rifles ? - 11/25/20
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by vabowhntr

Damn!

Yea....we really don't want to hear stories like that. If I were vabowhntr, I'd be kicking myself in the azz at least twice a day for passing up that deal.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: NULA Rifles ? - 11/25/20
Originally Posted by 257heaven

Yea....we really don't want to hear stories like that. If I were vabowhntr, I'd be kicking myself in the azz at least twice a day for passing up that deal.

😂
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: NULA Rifles ? - 11/26/20
Originally Posted by 257heaven
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

I had a 22” #1 ULA in 284 and several others over the years. Sold them all. There’s nothing not to like about them, except the cost and the action is chrome moly. Also had several Forbes rifles and now have several Fieldcraft. My suggestion, if you have a Fieldcraft short action, would be to have it rebarreled in 284 Win if that cartridge is your preference. But, unless you are just nostalgic about the 284 (I was), I’d just do a 7-08.

I lucked into a Fieldcraft 7-08, and love it. I would put it up against the NULA any day. All stainless. Same quality stock bedded full length. Accurate. Timney trigger, etc. You know because you have one.

My Fieldcraft is a 6.5x55 and shoots great. As far as the .284 goes I have lots of cases so would like to keep going that route.
Posted By: jeeper Re: NULA Rifles ? - 11/26/20

I went the "Melvinized Forbes " route a few years ago . Sent a Forbes 308 to him and He sent me a 284 Win. back. It is a nice rifle and shoots very well. I went with His recommended 22" #1 barrel and am happy with it. The Nula stock and Forbes stock is the same thing I believe and works well for me.
Posted By: Tarquin Re: NULA Rifles ? - 11/28/20
Originally Posted by StudDuck
Anyone know his current lead-time?

I just took delivery on a new Model 20. Melvin quoted me a year, but I had it in 11 months. Had to send it back though for a barrel issue. Melvin was great about it (miscommunication issue).
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: NULA Rifles ? - 12/01/20
Thanks guys for your input.
Posted By: DBoston Re: NULA Rifles ? - 12/01/20
The Forbes rifle is the 24 action at least for medium cartridges, the 08 cartridges are on the model 20 but I don't think many were made. If you want the real thing get a NULA and maybe even go with a #1 contour barrel. At one time Melvin made more .284s than any other cartridge. A 6.5x284 NULA is very tempting to me, but I have a 6.5x55 Forbes so some what redundant.

Melvin is getting close to retiring so I would not wait, as soon as you are over the sticker shock you will not regret the choice. Try to see if you can handle one, I think the stocks are great but some don't care for the ergonomics.
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: NULA Rifles ? - 12/02/20
Originally Posted by DBoston
The Forbes rifle is the 24 action at least for medium cartridges, the 08 cartridges are on the model 20 but I don't think many were made. If you want the real thing get a NULA and maybe even go with a #1 contour barrel. At one time Melvin made more .284s than any other cartridge. A 6.5x284 NULA is very tempting to me, but I have a 6.5x55 Forbes so some what redundant.

Melvin is getting close to retiring so I would not wait, as soon as you are over the sticker shock you will not regret the choice. Try to see if you can handle one, I think the stocks are great but some don't care for the ergonomics.

That's the problem, I have never seen one. I never have heard bad things about them and like you said they come in .284 Win.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: NULA Rifles ? - 12/02/20
I just got my Forbes NULA back from him yesterday. It’s a 7mm-08. I had him rebarrel it with the same contour as was on the Forbes with a stainless barrel. He cut the stock to the correct length and repainted it. He refinished the action, replaced the trigger with his three position trigger, replaced the magazine spring, and put a new trigger guard in it. It is basically a brand new rifle and a NULA in almost every way. I could not be happier and I can’t wait to pop a deer or two with it next weekend.
Posted By: 30338 Re: NULA Rifles ? - 12/03/20
I had a ULA in 284 Win. Nice to have had one and tried it. Just wasn't for me. And I think it was around the time he was having staffing issues as service was less than spectacular. I'd do a 7mm-08 Montana or something similar if I needed a lightweight.
Posted By: 257heaven Re: NULA Rifles ? - 12/03/20
I just got my Forbes NULA back from him yesterday. It’s a 7mm-08. I had him rebarrel it with the same contour as was on the Forbes with a stainless barrel. He cut the stock to the correct length and repainted it. He refinished the action, replaced the trigger with his three position trigger, replaced the magazine spring, and put a new trigger guard in it. It is basically a brand new rifle and a NULA in almost every way. I could not be happier and I can’t wait to pop a deer or two with it next weekend.

Jealous. Enjoy it!
Posted By: JSmith62198 Re: NULA Rifles ? - 12/04/20
I’ve been jonesing for a Nula but on the fence about going full Nula or having him rework a CLR or Forbes. I figure I could save $1000-1400 but in the end would I be happy.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: NULA Rifles ? - 12/04/20
Originally Posted by JSmith62198
I’ve been jonesing for a Nula but on the fence about going full Nula or having him rework a CLR or Forbes. I figure I could save $1000-1400 but in the end would I be happy.

Only you can answer on the happy part.

One thing to note, the CLR actions were magnum action sized (even if they were a 06/270 standard bolt face), which is the Model 28 size that Mr. Forbes produces. This means they are ~4 oz's heavier than a standard bolt face NULA or Forbes long action (Model 24). If you're going to have it reworked to a 7mm mag or 300 mag it will be the same/same. Only an issue if you're focusing on weight.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: NULA Rifles ? - 12/04/20

There really isn’t any reason why you wouldn’t be happy. Like I said, I just got my reworked Forbes back and it is for all intents and purposes a brand new rifle. Heck, I looked at the bolt face and it doesn’t even look like it has ever been fired. I’m sure he didn’t replace the bolt, but he refinished it so that it looks brand new.

The Forbes rifle already was dimensionally an exact copy of the NULA with the exact same stock. It just wasn’t as refined and had a different trigger. After a rework by Melvin, the only difference is that it still says Forbes Rifle on the receiver.
Posted By: lotech Re: NULA Rifles ? - 12/04/20
I don't know what a NULA costs these days, but I've had a Model 28 in 7x61 Sharpe & Hart Magnum for about ten years; ordered it new. It weighs about seven pounds or slightly less with a 26" #3 barrel and a Leupold 2.5x - 8x scope. I think Mr. Forbes added a little weight somewhere for balance. Now on it's third barrel, it's been a perfect elk rifle.

Opinions vary, but if I was buying a rifle and the savings difference between a reworked rifle and a NULA was $1000 - $1400, it might be a tough choice. However, I'm pretty sure desirability and resale value might steer me in the direction of a NULA.
I think I would be happy with either one in the aspect of performance. I am more referring to me always wanting a Melvin Forbes built rifle.

I would more than likely go with a 24 in 280ai either way do it would be a tad heavier using the CLR. I do like the Forbes, converts CLRs as well but may night the bullet and get on the books for a full Nula. I appreciate all of the insights.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: NULA Rifles ? - 12/04/20
I think I would be happy with either one in the aspect of performance. I am more referring to me always wanting a Melvin Forbes built rifle.

I would more than likely go with a 24 in 280ai either way do it would be a tad heavier using the CLR. I do like the Forbes, converts CLRs as well but may night the bullet and get on the books for a full Nula. I appreciate all of the insights.

I mean unless you want to get too wrapped up in the fact that the action wasn’t made in his shop, it is a Melvin Forbes built rifle. He put the barrel on. He chambered it. He fit the stock. He trued the action. He put his trigger on it. He bedded it. He put the new pad on it. He refinished the action and bolt. And he painted the stock. I’m not too sure what else he could do to “build” the rifle except open up a forge and hand make the parts.

I mean unless you want to get too wrapped up in the fact that the action wasn’t made in his shop, it is a Melvin Forbes built rifle. He put the barrel on. He chambered it. He fit the stock. He trued the action. He put his trigger on it. He bedded it. He put the new pad on it. He refinished the action and bolt. And he painted the stock. I’m not too sure what else he could do to “build” the rifle except open up a forge and hand make the parts.

All very valid points.
Posted By: DropTyne Re: NULA Rifles ? - 12/04/20
I have both, a Model 24 NULA and Model 24B Forbes. I sent the Forbes to Melvin and he looked over the rifle, shortened the LOP, repainted the stock, and installed one of his triggers. The only difference in appearance between the 2 rifles is the NULA has a stainless barrel and the Forbes barrel is a black CM. Of course the NULA action says NULA and the Forbes says Forbes.

As far as function, there is no difference between the two. I would not hesitate to go the Forbes/CLR route if you aren't hung up on what name is on the action. As a matter of fact, I have been looking hard for a Forbes Model 20B for over a year to send to Melvin.
Posted By: gene270 Re: NULA Rifles ? - 12/04/20
just about all the forbes and fieldcraft models have dried up in the used market the last year or two...i sent melvin two model 20b to rework and havent seen one since then that could be bought to do that again..i guess all the people who didnt like them have gotten rid of them at this point
© 24hourcampfire