Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I have been thinking of getting a NULA in .284 Win for awhile now. I have never seen one, but have heard good things about them? What is the balance like? I have a Barrett Fieldcraft that I really like, is very accurate and balances nice, but aren't made anymore sadly. And didn't come in the .284. Does the NULA have a similar feel?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interested in this as well.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes....although if you want you can specify different barrel diameters than what come standard on a Nula. At which time Mr Forbes will balance the rifle for your specified barrel.

Last edited by battue; 11/23/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have that exact rifle and to me it is both similar and different. Weight is similar but the stock is different in the wrist area. It would be the last rifle I sold.

Enough already, just shoot it!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anyone know his current lead-time?

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
i find the grip to be very similar on the nula vs fieldcraft but find the forearm thinner on the nula
i talked to melvin last week he said 5 months we shall see

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Find a Forbes rifle and get it re-barreled. You will have a cheap NULA in less time.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Find a Forbes rifle and get it re-barreled. You will have a cheap NULA in less time.

You might or might not. Only the early Forbes rifles were made to the correct specs--which is why Melvin demanded his "partners" buy him out after less than two years into the deal. (It's also why the Melvin-free Forbes company went out of business within another year or so.)

Plus, if I recall correctly, none of the short-action Forbes rifles were made in .284. Instead they were all in .308-based rounds. A Forbes rebarreled to .284 might not feed correctly.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by JoeBob

You might or might not. Only the early Forbes rifles were made to the correct specs--which is why Melvin demanded his "partners" buy him out after less than two years into the deal. (It's also why the Melvin-free Forbes company went out of business within another year or so.)

Plus, if I recall correctly, none of the short-action Forbes rifles were made in .284. Instead they were all in .308-based rounds. A Forbes rebarreled to .284 might not feed correctly.

Getting it re-barreled and the stock fit correctly and a thorough going over by Melvin will cost you about $700. Melvin is easy enough to talk to, that he’ll probably tell you if you could expect any chambering problems before you even find a Forbes rifle to buy.

Last edited by JoeBob; 11/23/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I have been thinking of getting a NULA in .284 Win for awhile now. I have never seen one, but have heard good things about them? What is the balance like? I have a Barrett Fieldcraft that I really like, is very accurate and balances nice, but aren't made anymore sadly. And didn't come in the .284. Does the NULA have a similar feel?

I had a 22” #1 ULA in 284 and several others over the years. Sold them all. There’s nothing not to like about them, except the cost and the action is chrome moly. Also had several Forbes rifles and now have several Fieldcraft. My suggestion, if you have a Fieldcraft short action, would be to have it rebarreled in 284 Win if that cartridge is your preference. But, unless you are just nostalgic about the 284 (I was), I’d just do a 7-08.

I lucked into a Fieldcraft 7-08, and love it. I would put it up against the NULA any day. All stainless. Same quality stock bedded full length. Accurate. Timney trigger, etc. You know because you have one.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A real Melvin Forbes NULA Model 20 in 284 Win is hard to beat. I've had one (a ULA) with a #2 contour 22" Douglas barrel for 30 years. Only thing I've ever shot in it is what Melvin said to shoot when I bought it a 140 grain Nosler Partition (yesterday's bullet today) and 55 grains of IMR 4350. Pretty much kills whatever you point it at. Over the years I have collected 2 more ULA 284's (they are like that) and several more ULAs and one NULA. Best mountain rifle out there IMHO. I recently acquired a Barrett Fieldcraft w 24" #2 contour barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor and it is a Very nice rifle. A close second to Melvin's NULA but it is his design after all. If you have your heart set on a NULA Model 20 in 284 Win you will not regret it. That Barrett is growing on me though and am looking for another. It's your deal man. Pull the trigger.

Last edited by sheephunter2; 11/23/20.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Had a chance to buy a used .308 NULA at cabelas in Gainesville Va for $999 a year or so ago. I figured they thought it was a Forbes and priced it accordingly. Passed as the camo was well worn and there was enough copper in the barrel to see by just glancing at it. Decided I already had a fieldcraft I loved in 30-06, and didn’t need another rifle.

Now, I wish I would have bought it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by vabowhntr
Had a chance to buy a used .308 NULA at cabelas in Gainesville Va for $999 a year or so ago. I figured they thought it was a Forbes and priced it accordingly. Passed as the camo was well worn and there was enough copper in the barrel to see by just glancing at it. Decided I already had a fieldcraft I loved in 30-06, and didn’t need another rifle.

Damn!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
quick trip to melvin would have fixed all that for about 700.00 you would have had a new NULA

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by vabowhntr

Damn!

Yea....we really don't want to hear stories like that. If I were vabowhntr, I'd be kicking myself in the azz at least twice a day for passing up that deal.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 257heaven

Yea....we really don't want to hear stories like that. If I were vabowhntr, I'd be kicking myself in the azz at least twice a day for passing up that deal.

😂

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 257heaven
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

I had a 22” #1 ULA in 284 and several others over the years. Sold them all. There’s nothing not to like about them, except the cost and the action is chrome moly. Also had several Forbes rifles and now have several Fieldcraft. My suggestion, if you have a Fieldcraft short action, would be to have it rebarreled in 284 Win if that cartridge is your preference. But, unless you are just nostalgic about the 284 (I was), I’d just do a 7-08.

I lucked into a Fieldcraft 7-08, and love it. I would put it up against the NULA any day. All stainless. Same quality stock bedded full length. Accurate. Timney trigger, etc. You know because you have one.

My Fieldcraft is a 6.5x55 and shoots great. As far as the .284 goes I have lots of cases so would like to keep going that route.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I went the "Melvinized Forbes " route a few years ago . Sent a Forbes 308 to him and He sent me a 284 Win. back. It is a nice rifle and shoots very well. I went with His recommended 22" #1 barrel and am happy with it. The Nula stock and Forbes stock is the same thing I believe and works well for me.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by StudDuck
Anyone know his current lead-time?

I just took delivery on a new Model 20. Melvin quoted me a year, but I had it in 11 months. Had to send it back though for a barrel issue. Melvin was great about it (miscommunication issue).

Tarquin
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks guys for your input.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (308ld, Anaconda, 35, BamBam, 11 invisible), 1,691 guests, and 829 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,744
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.