Home
Does the Remington 700 have a “ golden period” where there was the quality and craftsmanship was at a high level? I am thinking about adding a 700 to my hunting battery and I enjoy older firearms .
Maybe the early 1990's?? I know I've seen it posted before that the "C" series actions where some of the smoothest 700's produced. I still have one and will say its pretty dang slick but don't really know if its any better but I doubt I'd ever sell that one:)
The .270 I bought in 1990 is a really nice rifle with great fit and finish.
Nope, they've been [bleep] since day one. Remington was told prior to the release of the rifle by Merle Walker that the trigger was unsafe, and would cost $0.04 per rifle to correct. He was told by Remington management to shut his trap. Numerous people died. The rifle itself is a garbage round action designed to minimize manufacturing costs at the expense of stability in the stock. It has a purely inferior safety mechanism, feed, extraction, and ejection. The recoil lug is likewise inferior. When the costs of settling trigger-related wrongful death suits became more then Remingon could bear, they switched to the X-Mark Pro trigger, which was such a piece of garbage every single one ever made was recalled. Literally no M700 has ever been sold with a non-recalled trigger. Every single one is faulty, and the cartridge trigger concept is garbage to boot even if they could make them work (which they can't).

Asking about the golden age of the 700 is like asking where your turd was at its best as it flowed through your sewer pipe. The answer is that it was a turd from the beginning and always will be.
I've owned some from the late 60's, 70's, bunch from the 1980's, and some from the 2010's onward. The 80's seemed to be pretty nicely finished and tended to have decent extraction (which is problem with the more recent RR series and later). But I've heard from rifle builder friends that the more recent ones (despite having terrible extraction/ cam timing) are more square/true. Anything RR and newer has 50/50 chance of needing a trip to accu-tig to get the extraction timing sorted. Dan has done maybe 6-7 for me.
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Nope, they've been [bleep] since day one. Remington was told prior to the release of the rifle by Merle Walker that the trigger was unsafe, and would cost $0.04 per rifle to correct. He was told by Remington management to shut his trap. Numerous people died. The rifle itself is a garbage round action designed to minimize manufacturing costs at the expense of stability in the stock. It has a purely inferior safety mechanism, feed, extraction, and ejection. The recoil lug is likewise inferior. When the costs of settling trigger-related wrongful death suits became more then Remingon could bear, they switched to the X-Mark Pro trigger, which was such a piece of garbage every single one ever made was recalled. Literally no M700 has ever been sold with a non-recalled trigger. Every single one is faulty, and the cartridge trigger concept is garbage to boot even if they could make them work (which they can't).

Asking about the golden age of the 700 is like asking where your turd was at its best as it flowed through your sewer pipe. The answer is that it was a turd from the beginning and always will be.

I guess Merle Walker would be Mike Walkers (the designer of the M700) brother?
I've had 4 from the mid-eighties to a year ago, and haven't struck a bad one yet. They're easy to get accurate if they aren't already, strong actions, light, inexpensive and there are so many high quality aftermarket parts, that you can swap anything out that you're not quite happy with and get exactly what you want. The ability to put extended Wyatt internal mags in for long high bc projectiles seated out is a big plus. Even both the Walker triggers and the X-Mark Pro Adjustable triggers can easily be adjusted to 2 3/4 lbs and are fine for hunting, but if you want a superb trigger, you can put one in. I find it hard to buy a rifle off the shelf and be happy with the way it is, so I'd rather buy a Remington 700 and make it exactly what I want.

I've got a few from different times and they all are good. I must just be lucky.
Amen pass the plate
Originally Posted by BangPop

Merle was Mikes wife, the one who wore the pants in the family. He did whatever she told him to do.

Amen pass the plate.
Pretty much all prior to the bunch of plastic ones after about 2000 were nice. I have a couple very early ones, and they are smooth, nice wood, and shoot great. Also like the pre 700 models 721 and 722.
Was talking with a buddy yesterday about rifles. I did a quick count; I've owned 17 model 700s over the years and still have 4 of them. 17 Remington up to .375h&h. Rifles from as early as the early 70s to just as recent as just a few years ago. Haven't had a bad one yet. Haven't had one fail to shoot MOA or better. No bolt handles fell off, no rifles firing on their own, etc.

laugh laugh laugh

I love it..... laugh (And I've owned a couple/three over the years, still have two, I think, and they're OK, but they're not even on the bottom level of the worst M70.... ) One of the one's I have is the .17 Rem (circa '97) and I really do like this rifle... But I'll never trust that trigger - even with minute inspection and maintenance.. But that's just me - YMMV... smile

Just my opinion, but I think you are full of [bleep] .
Originally Posted by chudly

Yep.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/16593372/1

Mustn't let details and facts get in the way of a good rant.
Originally Posted by Boxerdog
Does the Remington 700 have a “ golden period” where there was the quality and craftsmanship was at a high level? I am thinking about adding a 700 to my hunting battery and I enjoy older firearms .

At the moment I have seven Rem 700's and all are equally as good. To me, the only real difference is the bluing on older rifles was more high gloss compared to today which is more matt to semi gloss on most models. I liked the older 700BDL's from the 70's & 80's which had nice high gloss bluing.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by Mgw619

Yep.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/16593372/1

Why bother with the stupidity ? Troll much ?

Does he sound a lot like David Allen Coe? 😇😂
"Does he sound a lot like David Allen Coe? 😇😂 "

laugh laugh laugh

Jerry
Originally Posted by JamesJr

Merle was Mikes wife, the one who wore the pants in the family. He did whatever she told him to do.

Are you a [bleep] idiot?

His name was Merle. He did sometimes go by Mike.

https://americanshootingjournal.com/fixing-that-darn-trigger/
Originally Posted by JamesJr

Are you a [bleep] idiot?

His name was Merle. He did sometimes go by Mike.

https://americanshootingjournal.com/fixing-that-darn-trigger/

Merle Michael Walker...........hmmmmmm, didn’t he also invent M&M’s candy?
I have 5 700's from the 80's till 2014. All shoot sub moa with great actions. The one from 2014 is of the lowest quality but still nothing I really can complain about in regards to accuracy and function.
I’ve got them from the late 70’s through the current made ones, and as far as I’m concerned, they’re the best bolt action rifle made. If you aren’t a fan, fine, just move on.
I have both Model 70's and 700's. I don't agree that the M70 is better than the 700, it has different attributes. The M70 action is longer (even the short action version) and heavier than the 700 which makes it more difficult to build a very light, short rifle. The 700 usually has an accuracy advantage and possibly it's design is stronger. Anyone who doesn't like the triggers can swap them out and get the very best trigger. The Model 70 has advantages in other areas, and is also a very fine rifle - but one isn't better than the other...just different attributes.
Whenever they cataloged the 700 Mountain rifles and 700 TI.

EDIT: I've owned Remington bolt guns for over 50 years, probably over 200 of them across the years, and have never had a problem with the triggers. This only unintended discharge that I recall having was on a used Krag that someone had done a trigger job on and managed to file the sear just a little too much. The only problem that I've had with Remington bolt guns have been extractors on a couple of different 722s back when I was cutting the barrels back for guys who wanted 600/660s, but either couldn't afford them or couldn't find them. Remington has done a lot of things that haven't made sense to me, like going with the 783 after they owned Marlin and could have had the X guns, but who knows why they do what they do.
I agree with Riflehunter. I have two 700 BDLs, one in .30-06 and one in .270, and I don't consider them worse than my M70s. just different. Both my BDLs are 2017s (I think). Quality is fine. The only issue I had with either is that the inletting on the .270 stock for the bottom metal was such that the floorplate would not lock as far closed as it would on the .30-06. A little sanding and some gloss laquer fixed that. Both function perfectly well. Both are very accurate, every bit as good or better than my M70s of the same caliber.

I got a little anxious about finding OEM parts for them if needed when Remington went tits up, so I bought spare OEM bottom metal, extractors, etc, to have on hand if anything went wrong. It hasn't.
I've owned Model 70's , Mausers, and Remington 700's over the years and I couldn't tell you if I have had a problem with any of them. They just keep working for me, killing game and targets pretty simply and never really seem to stop working. I have sent a few of each off for "improvements" to install a different barrel for a cartridge I was interested in, or replaced a trigger on the Remingtons for better target work, but for hunting I've never had to worry about my Remington rifles for an instant when I needed it. I do prefer the early high gloss blue they used to put on their rifles but most of my newer rifles are all stainless any way so I guess it's a moot point .

Bob
15 pages at least...
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Whenever they cataloged the 700 Mountain rifles and 700 TI.

EDIT: I've owned Remington bolt guns for over 50 years, probably over 200 of them across the years, and have never had a problem with the triggers. This only unintended discharge that I recall having was on a used Krag that someone had done a trigger job on and managed to file the sear just a little too much. The only problem that I've had with Remington bolt guns have been extractors on a couple of different 722s back when I was cutting the barrels back for guys who wanted 600/660s, but either couldn't afford them or couldn't find them. Remington has done a lot of things that haven't made sense to me, like going with the 783 after they owned Marlin and could have had the X guns, but who knows why they do what they do.

That 783 over X7 decision was one of epic stupidity. I’d bet a nice rifle on which one cost the least money to build.
I have trued more than a few 700's over the years and all this talk about the 70's and 80's being the best quality is not true. The new RR series receivers that I have trued have never taken more than .001 to clean up and most are less than .0005. Now they all have varying issue with primary extraction
I’ve been told by more than one gunsmith that the gold standard in 700’s are any with A,B or C serial number prefixes.
Just had a RR remington action built into a 26 Nosler last year by Shane and I had him check it out for true before putting it all together. He told me he couldn't find anything wrong with it and the face barely took a skim cut to make absolutely flat, which was probably unnecessary but makes life easier when measuring and assembling things.... everything I have heard is that since Remington went to CNC manufacture of most of their actions, they have been very well machined and extremely true. Same with their barrel tenons and threads.... as long as you have a good flat surface on your recoil lug or install an aftermarket unit that is machined flat and true, it would be hard to screw up one of these. Now , the primary extraction issue seems to be an ongoing issue, but I hear very few people complaining about it except for here on this site, so I wonder how much of a problem is really is?

Bob
Originally Posted by Sheister
.... everything I have heard is that since Remington went to CNC manufacture of most of their actions, they have been very well machined and extremely true. Same with their barrel tenons and threads.... as long as you have a good flat surface on your recoil lug or install an aftermarket unit that is machined flat and true, it would be hard to screw up one of these.
Agreed - the newer one's I've had in for rebarrel have required extremely minimal machining before barrel install.
Now , the primary extraction issue seems to be an ongoing issue, but I hear very few people complaining about it except for here on this site, so I wonder how much of a problem is really is?

Bob
Still a problem - that, and the Mickey-Mouse extractors still in use... smile
I liked the older A,B,C series BDL with the wooden Monte Carlo stock and polished blue. The most accurate out of the box ones I have owned have been the RR series, they are butt-ugly with the coarse finish and tupperware stock but they all outshot the old ones I owned. The stocks on the old BDL's looked nice on the outside but what passed for inletting of the action and barrel was generally pretty poorly done, they usually required bedding and some barrel channel work to get them to shoot as well as the RR series do out of the box.

So I suppose it all comes down to how one defines "golden age" - if you want nice looking then the old ones win IMO, if you want an out of the box shooter then the RR series win, which means that the "golden age" is past or it is now.
drover

Its not just your opinion....
The Mickey Mouse extractor is really a matter of opinion. I’m 69 and never saw one fail. That includes the ones we beat open with a 2x4 because of overloading or debris on cases. Mine all function perfectly and shoot moa or less. My 300 shot a 3 shot 2.55 inch group at 600 yards the next best was a 3 inch group. Mine are late 70s models. Edk
Originally Posted by Ky221
Was talking with a buddy yesterday about rifles. I did a quick count; I've owned 17 model 700s over the years and still have 4 of them. 17 Remington up to .375h&h. Rifles from as early as the early 70s to just as recent as just a few years ago. Haven't had a bad one yet. Haven't had one fail to shoot MOA or better. No bolt handles fell off, no rifles firing on their own, etc.

I love 700’s but I’ve had my share of bad luck with them, even had a bolt handle come off one and it was a oldie.
I have a .270 made about 82 or 83. It’s really nicely finished and is the most accurate rifle I own. It’s thrown in a BC Carbelite stock and isn’t even bedded. It shoots dime sized groups over and over with any load you put in it.

I should use it more.
When they released the “Pre” Limited Run Classic Models.
And MountaiIn Rifles. Basically early 80’s to early 90’s.

From 1958 to 1961 Remington made 16,635 Model 725 rifles. If you want Model 700 I would look for early one with blackened stainless steel barrel. A 7mm Remington Magnum would be a nice find.
Originally Posted by Slavek

From 1958 to 1961 Remington made 16,635 Model 725 rifles.

Once again, you’ve never seen or owned a gun. You just regurgitate schitt you google.
No one believes or gives a schitt about anything you post.
I have always liked the very early 700 ADL 20 in barrel carbines the best. Certainly, the Mountain rifles and Ti's are up there too.

I have been around a couple since new, both are still in use though the owners are in their 70's and eighties respectively.. Except for one needing a rebarrel a couple of years ago and the other losing aold style extractor after 50 odd years they have been great.
I have owned 30 or more model 700's since the early 1980's (i really dont have a clue how many, could even be 40) My favorite era was from the mid 80's thru the early 90's just before the J-lock models...Every one I owned shot at least decent and some were tack drivers, I only got one bad one that the receiver screw holes were tapped off center, I sent it back to Remington and they sent me a brand new rifle ( even gave me my choice of what model id rather have) ..I dont currently own a model 700 as i dont care for push feed rifles anymore and I dont like the paper clip Remington 700 extractor though I never had trouble out of any i owned they still seem very flimsy to Me.....Hb
Over the years a number of gunsmiths have told me the A series actions were generally the straightest. I've had one tell me the RR's are even straighter. A couple have told me the early SS actions are just as good. Every one of my well and sanely adjusted SS Walker triggers are about as crisp as my Timneys, Shilen, or Trigger Tech trigger. Then again, I'm not dumb enough to try and make a Walker trigger a 2lb trigger on my hunting rifles

Most, if not all "accidental discharges" of the Walker trigger are because of dirty triggers and idjits misadjusting the trigger. The M700 is the most popular bolt action in North America and it stands to reason there will be more stories about them and more people messing with them.

Over the past 50 years I've carried mostly M700's and killed most of my big game with M700's. Backpack hunts, horse pack hunts, two DIY rafting hunts in Alaska for 2 weeks each time--I've never had an extractor break or a bolt handle fall off. The latter almost always happens when the bolt has been beat open with a 2x4.

When it comes to the cro-moly rifles I do like the A series and have had very good luck with accuracy. The 1992 thru the late 90's SS rifles are my favs and my 1993 Mtn Rifle is the most accurate factory rifle I've owned.

But, once I installed a SS Walker trigger on my new 2020 M700 Mtn rifle in 308, it is shooting 150g TTSX's about as well as I can shoot a light rifle. It doesn't even care what powder I've tried with that bullet, it shoots the same.

Of all the eras of M700's, the ones I've seen that had quality control issues were made around 1999- 2010--I generally will take a pass on that era. The 1st generation Ti being a notable exception.

If the rifle cocks and extracts the brass reliably I'm not sure how there can be a "primary extraction" problem. If it really bothers a guy a Gre-Tan FP assembly resolves the non-problem..........

Of all the options out there in the hunting rifle world, the 700's are about the last thing I would spend discretionary money on. If I HAD to have some form of 700, I would think the 725 is the best of a bad lot. But, for the same money you could get into a classic like a Rem model 30 Express, a well done upgrade of a military proven action. Other than just a joy to handle, lightweight, with a scant old style stock, there is a reliability factor that is over the top. You will never experience a failure under any conditions, the bolt handle will not come off, the trigger will not malfunction, the safety will never bump off, it will never fail to feed or extract, the floorplate will never flop open, the factory barrel is old skool cut rifled perfection and on and on. And if you doubt me, just look at the 5 or 6 pages of Brownells catalog, with aftermarket 700 fixes, it's a cottage industry making things to make 700's work. It reminds me of Jeeps built after the 1970's...hell of a 4x4 if dump enough money in aftermarket fixes to make them perform the way they should have from the git-go.
I bought my first 700 around the 1979-80 time period. I have had a bunch, and I mean a bunch, since then. Most were rifles I bought, shot a few times, or maybe restocked or put a scope on, and sold them. I still have quite a few. I've had a bolt handle fall off, and had a trigger go bad on a Model Seven, and even had one that had some rust on it even though it was NIB..............but I have never owned one that would not shoot good enough to please me, and I want any rifle I hunt with to be accurate. I can't say that about other brands I've owned.

Having said that about the 700's, I've also seen rifles of other brands that had issues as well, and some that you couldn't hit a bull in the azz with at 10 yards. Nothing that is man made is going to be perfect every single time. Yet because the Remington 700 is the best selling bolt action rifle of all time, it catches a lot of flack and cheap shots from those who are either jealous or just don't like it. If you prefer another brand, fine, use it and be happy, and leave the ones alone who happen to like something else.
Originally Posted by Godogs57
I’ve been told by more than one gunsmith that the gold standard in 700’s are any with A,B or C serial number prefixes.
I have an A serial number Classic in .30-06 that I bought new around 1979 or 80. It was unusually accurate and smooth. It was scoped with a Leupold VX-3 in 3.5X10. For years it was the only centerfire rifle I owned. It started shooting bigger groups a few years ago so I gave it a thorough bore scrubbing and the groups got much bigger. Dirt Farmer looked at it with his bore scope and pronounced the bore badly pitted (no maintenance) so I found a good rifle man to put on a Douglas barrel. Now it is back to shooting. It now has a Burris Black Diamond 4X16. For years I used Federal Premium Gameking loads but I found it shot perfectly well with cheap Remington Core-Lokt 165s. During the time it was out of commission with barrel trouble I bought a stainless Weatherby Vanguard 2 in .30-06 which is what I carry now but I shot my Weatherby handloads out of the old Remington the other day and it is still sub minute.
Some early ones had just outstanding wood. The S style BDL comes to mind. Any of the Classics are really great and I have a 25-06 and 35 Whelen in those configurations. Have never had a 700 that wouldn't shoot within an inch and most much better. Right now my favorite is a 20" Carbine 6mm and a LH BDL in 308.
Boxerdog: I bought my first Remington 700 back in 1965 and have bought MANY, MANY dozens of them since!
I currently own just 48 (forty eight) of them and will begin next summer to sell them all off (due to the realities of aging).
I will NOT loose one penny in the sale of any of these Remington 700's that I have left - in fact some I will quadruple the money I originally paid for them!
So there's that - and DO NOT let any keyboard cowboy try to disparage the Remington 700 Rifles!
Anyone that does try is easily written off as an uninformed, biased, idiot.
I have been target shooting, plinking, Big Game Hunting and Varmint/predator Hunting with Remington Model 700 Rifles for 56 years now and have as yet to suffer my first failure with one!
Having said those things I must admit that for the last 10+ years I have relied mostly on the used market to buy my Remington 700's.
The last "new" Remington 700 I purchased at retail was an incredibly accurate Remington 700 VSF (Varmint Synthetic Fluted) in caliber 17 Remington Fireball.
This Rifle, again, is amazingly accurate, reliable, great fitting and is now worth way more than I paid for it new back in 2,008.
IF.... accuracy is foremost on your list be confident in about ANY Remington 700 made from 1962 through 2,010 (as long as the barrel is "O.K.") - I base this on an extensive amount or FIRST HAND experience.
I just can not comment "first handedly" on the latest production Remington 700's.
Best of luck to you if you decide to try one.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
"will begin next summer to sell them all off"

I'd love to see that list!
Mine is a sample of a handful of Remingtons since the 80s. The oldest one was a .30-06 and it shot about 1.5 MOA on average. All of the others were 3/4 MOA and under. They're not the slickest action. However, they are the Chevy small block 350 of the gun world. There's a reason why so many custom actions duplicate the footprint of the Rem 700.
1986-2004.

The original run of the ks.

smile

the dumbest shi t I've read in quite a while
Didn't read here where folks favored the early 70's models. I have a BDL .30-06 that I bought new in 1973. My first cenerfire rifle.
I’ve had a bunch, never a bad one, have a few now.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Nice collection hanco, i also like all those Leupold's 👍.......Hb
Oh good God. A picture or Remingtons and leupold scopes. You are never gonna hear the end of that from some dimwits on here. Go say 10 Hail Marys and ask for forgiveness. Edk
lol
I see new Remarms 700 BDLs in .30-06 are available now.
I think they started going down hill around when they came out with the J-lock.
I 've got a 1965 model, a 2019, & a few tweeners.. Don't remember when they changed the follower to not contact the bolt, but while cycling an empty gun, those just felt better.

Just like anything else as far as grades or material, they might feel different. A,B, CDLs might be better or worse. Matte finish WM models rougher, but mainly the finish affects smoothness same as a high polish blued gun vs, stainless.

The damn things, ya gotta have many back ups just to get one out that still has a bolt handle on it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
You old guys need to start unloading all of them beautiful rifles that you don't shoot anymore.....lol.

I have more than a handful of Remington 700 action rifles.
I have never had 1 fail me yet.

Can't believe some of the half wit schit people will repeat...
I have 243 ADL made in ‘86 , good year for sure
They’re all degrees of garbage. 😆

I'm one-and-done with 700's - seriously.

Life's too short to hunt with them.
I’ve had more than I can remember.
Still have several.

NOT 1 Single Solitary Problem.

Most of mine were 80s productions.
My latest, New in 1995.

Jerry
A typical Ferde versus Chebby thread. If you have had a few in the lathe you will find the late model RR series head and shoulders above the other models. They are made on CNC machinery. As probably mentioned the primary extraction needs fixing. I never buy complete rifles and won't comment on barrels from different years.
They are kinda like smallblock Chebbies, cheap and the a lot of aftermarket parts available for them. If I needed a new complete rifle, I don't know what I would buy. I have Enfield, Mauser, and CZ550 for my big bores.
I have an early 90s 700 ADL in 30-06, and I have gotten great accuracy from it. I have done the usual trigger replacement, bedding, and free floating the barrel, but if the accuracy wasn't there in the first place, that wouldn't help much
There was an almost pristine Remington 725 in 30-06 for $399 the other day on the Cabelas used rack. From 1960. It had a neat 3 position safety and a thinner stock with nice checkering unlike the plain clubby stocks on the 721. It was gone today but there was a really nice A prefix 7mm Mag BDL from 1988 for $499. I probably should have got that 725 and wouldn’t have passed it up if it was a 280 or one of the short action offerings.
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

I'm one-and-done with 700's - seriously.

Life's too short to hunt with them.

I take it you missed what you were trying to kill ?
The Remington 700 was and is my father's favorite rifle. He had a 700 in 22-250 whose accuracy was legendary. He didn't say anything when I bought a M70 Winchester and then another. Finally I sold both and to this day I have a 1987 mtn rifle in 280, and an '88 limited classic. Both are favorites. I wouldn't want to be down range from any of them. We mostly deer hunted, but did quite a bit coyote calling to. We never had any problems with our 700's they're just part of the family. As for which are best i like the 80's, but used a 2003 700 in 308 win for a long time too.
© 24hourcampfire