Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Does the Remington 700 have a “ golden period” where there was the quality and craftsmanship was at a high level? I am thinking about adding a 700 to my hunting battery and I enjoy older firearms .

Memento mori ( remember you must die) enjoy every day for tomorrow you may not wake

You can always borrow and pay the money back but you can never get the time back

Everyone hunter should own a fine rifle, life is short.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe the early 1990's?? I know I've seen it posted before that the "C" series actions where some of the smoothest 700's produced. I still have one and will say its pretty dang slick but don't really know if its any better but I doubt I'd ever sell that one:)

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The .270 I bought in 1990 is a really nice rifle with great fit and finish.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Nope, they've been [bleep] since day one. Remington was told prior to the release of the rifle by Merle Walker that the trigger was unsafe, and would cost $0.04 per rifle to correct. He was told by Remington management to shut his trap. Numerous people died. The rifle itself is a garbage round action designed to minimize manufacturing costs at the expense of stability in the stock. It has a purely inferior safety mechanism, feed, extraction, and ejection. The recoil lug is likewise inferior. When the costs of settling trigger-related wrongful death suits became more then Remingon could bear, they switched to the X-Mark Pro trigger, which was such a piece of garbage every single one ever made was recalled. Literally no M700 has ever been sold with a non-recalled trigger. Every single one is faulty, and the cartridge trigger concept is garbage to boot even if they could make them work (which they can't).

Asking about the golden age of the 700 is like asking where your turd was at its best as it flowed through your sewer pipe. The answer is that it was a turd from the beginning and always will be.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've owned some from the late 60's, 70's, bunch from the 1980's, and some from the 2010's onward. The 80's seemed to be pretty nicely finished and tended to have decent extraction (which is problem with the more recent RR series and later). But I've heard from rifle builder friends that the more recent ones (despite having terrible extraction/ cam timing) are more square/true. Anything RR and newer has 50/50 chance of needing a trip to accu-tig to get the extraction timing sorted. Dan has done maybe 6-7 for me.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Nope, they've been [bleep] since day one. Remington was told prior to the release of the rifle by Merle Walker that the trigger was unsafe, and would cost $0.04 per rifle to correct. He was told by Remington management to shut his trap. Numerous people died. The rifle itself is a garbage round action designed to minimize manufacturing costs at the expense of stability in the stock. It has a purely inferior safety mechanism, feed, extraction, and ejection. The recoil lug is likewise inferior. When the costs of settling trigger-related wrongful death suits became more then Remingon could bear, they switched to the X-Mark Pro trigger, which was such a piece of garbage every single one ever made was recalled. Literally no M700 has ever been sold with a non-recalled trigger. Every single one is faulty, and the cartridge trigger concept is garbage to boot even if they could make them work (which they can't).

Asking about the golden age of the 700 is like asking where your turd was at its best as it flowed through your sewer pipe. The answer is that it was a turd from the beginning and always will be.

I guess Merle Walker would be Mike Walkers (the designer of the M700) brother?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've had 4 from the mid-eighties to a year ago, and haven't struck a bad one yet. They're easy to get accurate if they aren't already, strong actions, light, inexpensive and there are so many high quality aftermarket parts, that you can swap anything out that you're not quite happy with and get exactly what you want. The ability to put extended Wyatt internal mags in for long high bc projectiles seated out is a big plus. Even both the Walker triggers and the X-Mark Pro Adjustable triggers can easily be adjusted to 2 3/4 lbs and are fine for hunting, but if you want a superb trigger, you can put one in. I find it hard to buy a rifle off the shelf and be happy with the way it is, so I'd rather buy a Remington 700 and make it exactly what I want.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I've got a few from different times and they all are good. I must just be lucky.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Amen pass the plate

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BangPop

Merle was Mikes wife, the one who wore the pants in the family. He did whatever she told him to do.

IC B3

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Amen pass the plate.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Pretty much all prior to the bunch of plastic ones after about 2000 were nice. I have a couple very early ones, and they are smooth, nice wood, and shoot great. Also like the pre 700 models 721 and 722.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Was talking with a buddy yesterday about rifles. I did a quick count; I've owned 17 model 700s over the years and still have 4 of them. 17 Remington up to .375h&h. Rifles from as early as the early 70s to just as recent as just a few years ago. Haven't had a bad one yet. Haven't had one fail to shoot MOA or better. No bolt handles fell off, no rifles firing on their own, etc.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

laugh laugh laugh

I love it..... laugh (And I've owned a couple/three over the years, still have two, I think, and they're OK, but they're not even on the bottom level of the worst M70.... ) One of the one's I have is the .17 Rem (circa '97) and I really do like this rifle... But I'll never trust that trigger - even with minute inspection and maintenance.. But that's just me - YMMV... smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

Just my opinion, but I think you are full of [bleep] .

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by chudly

Yep.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/16593372/1

You'll shoot your eye out
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Mustn't let details and facts get in the way of a good rant.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Boxerdog
Does the Remington 700 have a “ golden period” where there was the quality and craftsmanship was at a high level? I am thinking about adding a 700 to my hunting battery and I enjoy older firearms .

At the moment I have seven Rem 700's and all are equally as good. To me, the only real difference is the bluing on older rifles was more high gloss compared to today which is more matt to semi gloss on most models. I liked the older 700BDL's from the 70's & 80's which had nice high gloss bluing.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Mgw619
Originally Posted by chudly

Yep.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/16593372/1

Why bother with the stupidity ? Troll much ?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Does he sound a lot like David Allen Coe? 😇😂

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 12344mag, 16gage, 54 invisible), 2,591 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,461
Posts18,471,311
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.