Home
Posted By: EFHutton 223 bolt guns - 12/21/21
Any idea why these rifles are non existent from any manufacturer out there ?
Posted By: Youper Re: 223 bolt guns - 12/21/21
I bought a Savage model 10 new about 15 years ago, when ever the accutrigger came out, but haven't looked for one since. FWIW, I won't buy another rifle with the accutrigger.
Posted By: Featherweight6555 Re: 223 bolt guns - 12/21/21
I have a Ruger M77 Hawkeye. Bought it 2006 when I first learned about them . Great shooter with Hornady 55 grain Vmax factory stuff. So good I don’t even bother to load for it.
Doesn’t Kimber offer a .223. Seems at least at one time they did.

Just checked Kimber offers their Pro varmit in 223 and 22-250
Posted By: Seafire Re: 223 bolt guns - 12/21/21
I am sure they exist. Production is probably selling out as fast as they hit the shelves.....

Cheapest round to shoot.... Ammo is probably the most of any caliber available.

Folks are back to hoarding with democRats back in office...

My local gun store always has a good supply of bolt actions in 223 available
Posted By: MOW Re: 223 bolt guns - 12/21/21
I hear you, I have been looking for a Browning X-Bolt hunter in 223 for about 3 years. Nothing, not even online, there are a lot "heavy barrel" X-bolt type 223s out there, but I wanted the standard 22" barrel. Not sure if Browning only does a run of those only so often and that's why it was hard to find. I found one about month ago, and a few sites listed them all with in a few days and then they were all sold out again. Lucky I had the "notify me" in at a bunch of sites and I got one. My recommendation would be, if you know what you want, go to all the online sites and click on the "notify me" and wait patiently, it could take awhile.
Posted By: viking Re: 223 bolt guns - 12/21/21
I’ll keep my Tikka 1/8, thank you.
Posted By: hikerbum Re: 223 bolt guns - 12/21/21
CZ makes them I believe
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: 223 bolt guns - 12/21/21
A quality .223 bolt gun with a fast twist barrel in a "close-to" blueprint of your favorite hunting rifle is worth the investment. .22 rimfire aside, I shoot a lot more .223/.223AI rounds every year than I do all other centerfire rounds combined. About any time I'm shooting there's a 223/223AI along for the ride.

Just my opinion, but I think a manufacturer should make a fast twist .223 version of every rifle they produce.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: 223 bolt guns - 12/21/21
Left hand .223 bolts are not as common as they used to be. And when you find one, the prices can get spendy. A LH .223 Rem 700 CDL (NIB?) just sold on GB last week for Left Hand Win M70 price.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: 223 bolt guns - 12/21/21
Of my .223/5.56 rifles, only one is a bolt gun. It's a Remington 700 in the "Compact Tactical Rifle" format of their "Extreme Condition Rifle." (That's XCR/CTR for short.) 20" fluted heavy, 9 twist barrel, barrel and action stainless but coated with some high-tech black finish anyway, B&C kevlar stock, aluminum bedding block and an extra sling swivel stud on the forearm so a sling and bipod can both be mounted at once. I replaced the trigger with a Timney. The rifle has proven very accurate with 65 grain SGK's over Varget. With a VX-3 1.75 - 6 it makes a pretty good deer/coyote rifle. I only regret that I didn't get a .308 version also.
Posted By: scottfromdallas Re: 223 bolt guns - 12/21/21

Here is one.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Tikka-T3X-CTR-223-Rem-20-Barrel-1-8-Rifle-JRTXC314R8.aspx
Posted By: DV_Ramrod Re: 223 bolt guns - 12/21/21
Good time to build one..
Posted By: hotsoup Re: 223 bolt guns - 12/21/21
I would say the primary reason why 223 chambered rifles are somewhat rare these days is due to the effect of covid throughout our workforce. Same is true for ammunition. However, manufacturers are beginning to increase production, but it will take many months to reach pre-covid levels. And having liberal democrats running the country isn't helping.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: 223 bolt guns - 12/21/21
I have a new,(test fired only) 223 built with a new Remington receiver and bolt, #4 contour Shilen SS match barrel in a 12t, Shilen trigger, and a Grayboe stock that is bedded. It is in black cerekote.
$1300+shipping.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: 223 bolt guns - 12/22/21
Originally Posted by cra1948
Of my .223/5.56 rifles, only one is a bolt gun. It's a Remington 700 in the "Compact Tactical Rifle" format of their "Extreme Condition Rifle." (That's XCR/CTR for short.) 20" fluted heavy, 9 twist barrel, barrel and action stainless but coated with some high-tech black finish anyway, B&C kevlar stock, aluminum bedding block and an extra sling swivel stud on the forearm so a sling and bipod can both be mounted at once. I replaced the trigger with a Timney. The rifle has proven very accurate with 65 grain SGK's over Varget. With a VX-3 1.75 - 6 it makes a pretty good deer/coyote rifle. I only regret that I didn't get a .308 version also.

I have one of these. It was marketed as the XCR Compact Tactical. Nice shooting rifle, mine likes 60 grain Sierra's. I've thought about selling it, as it's a little too heavy for use as a hunting rifle for my liking. I have a couple other 223 bolt rifles that I use on a regular basis, and the XCR spends most of it's time in the safe.
Posted By: Houston_2 Re: 223 bolt guns - 12/22/21
Originally Posted by hikerbum
CZ makes them I believe

I have a model 527 and that mini Mauser is a sweet shooter.
Posted By: DesertMuleDeer Re: 223 bolt guns - 12/22/21
I've wondered why so few .223 bolt rifles are out there also. I looked for the right one for a couple of years and then walked into a local gunshop Saturday and they had a new old stock 2016 production Model 7 in .223 with 1:9 twist. For less than $650 OTD, I couldn't resist.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: 223 bolt guns - 12/22/21
I have two. A Remington 5R Stainless with HS Precision stock and a Savage lightweight hunter stainless. The Savage is more accurate. Love that little rifle.
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
I've wondered why so few .223 bolt rifles are out there also. I looked for the right one for a couple of years and then walked into a local gunshop Saturday and they had a new old stock 2016 production Model 7 in .223 with 1:9 twist. For less than $650 OTD, I couldn't resist.

I've got a Model 7 stainless in 223 that stays in my truck, 1-9 twist. It's a good shooter too. One of my favorites.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 223 bolt guns - 12/22/21
Was going to call BS on this, until I looked a few places. Nothing, except a couple of $4K plus Blasers on GB. Glad I have the one I do, even though it’s pretty heavy for everyday use.

Lots of semis…
Posted By: hanco Re: 223 bolt guns - 12/22/21
I have a Ruger with a 1in8 twist, uses AR magazines. It’s an fun to shoot. It likes my load with 62 grain Bear Claws, pigs don’t!
Posted By: aboltfan Re: 223 bolt guns - 12/22/21
My second A-bolt purchased thirty years ago was a .223 hunter model. Love that little rifle. Accurate as hell too. Most of it's life has been spent shooting varmint type critters. Trying to talk myself into joining the "Clan of the Stunt Shooters" and use it on deer in January. I have 55gr. Hornady SPs ready to go.

.223 bolt guns do seem hard to find. Mine is the only .223 Browning I've ever come across.
Posted By: drano 25 Re: 223 bolt guns - 12/22/21
There are at least 5 Howa Mini Action rifles in various sporting stocks on Gunbroker right now. Another 3 if you include those in a chassis.

I believe they are 8” twist and I’d think the Howa mini is a tough platform to beat for a 223.
Posted By: Sakohunter264 Re: 223 bolt guns - 12/22/21
.223 CZ 527 that I got in 2000 for high school graduation
.223 Browning Micro Medallion
.223 Remington Classic
.223 Howa

These make up the .223s I have in my collection. The browning seems to take up space in the front seat more than the others these days. Know idea why, they are all good quality rifles
Grice in PA has a Ruger American and a Howa Mini in 223 if anyone is interested.
Posted By: MOW Re: 223 bolt guns - 12/22/21
Originally Posted by aboltfan
My second A-bolt purchased thirty years ago was a .223 hunter model. Love that little rifle. Accurate as hell too. Most of it's life has been spent shooting varmint type critters. Trying to talk myself into joining the "Clan of the Stunt Shooters" and use it on deer in January. I have 55gr. Hornady SPs ready to go.

.223 bolt guns do seem hard to find. Mine is the only .223 Browning I've ever come across.

I thought about 223 A-bolt (I have a few in other calibers, 338 Fed), but decided on the X-Bolt Hunter because a wanted the fast twist barrel. Finally, found a new Hunter model about month ago. I could find "heavy barrel" X-Bolts" but I wanted the standard 22" barrel and it was impossible to find.
Posted By: skeen Re: 223 bolt guns - 12/22/21
I have 3 of 'em, 2 Remingtons and a Kimber Montana, but since I've gone mostly AR, they see no love. blush
Posted By: Teeder Re: 223 bolt guns - 12/22/21
I have a .223 bolt, but what I'd use it on, I tend to just grab a .22 mag.
As a matter of fact I just sold an extra Montana .223 that I never shot.
Posted By: buffybr Re: 223 bolt guns - 12/22/21
Here are my Weatherby Vanguards. The bottom one is a .223. On my weekly trips to our range, I love to shoot golf balls at 100 yards with it and hear the plink as it hits the steel gongs out to 430 yards.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: DeanAnderson Re: 223 bolt guns - 12/22/21
There's 2 listed in lake-link.com right now. A NIB camo Rem M7 and a Howa.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 223 bolt guns - 12/22/21
Originally Posted by Teeder
I have a .223 bolt, but what I'd use it on, I tend to just grab a .22 mag.
As a matter of fact I just sold an extra Montana .223 that I never shot.

Man, I need to watch your classifieds closer!
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: 223 bolt guns - 12/22/21
A friend of mine in Oregon has a NIB Tikka T3x Varmint listed for $900 plus shipping.

I can put you in touch with him.

P
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 223 bolt guns - 12/23/21
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
A friend of mine in Oregon has a NIB Tikka T3x Varmint listed for $900 plus shipping.

P

If I was looking, I’d be all over that, unless I needed a light one. Both of .223s are SS too, but these are difficult times…..
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: 223 bolt guns - 12/23/21
I have one of the Howa Kuiu rifles in .223 mounted in a Bansner stock from the Alpine rifles. Absolutely love it.
Posted By: 5thShock Re: 223 bolt guns - 12/24/21
The market is flooded with 223/5.56 Ar's, many of them good to very good, accurate, military grade rifles. Back in the 30/06 and 270 years
semi-autos were rare compared to the AR numbers today. The 223 bolt gun is, as they say, a niche item.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: 223 bolt guns - 12/24/21
Originally Posted by 5thShock
The 223 bolt gun is, as they say, a niche item.

I'm not trying to start an argument here, because we all see things the way we want to see them, but I don't see it as a niche item. I shoot my 223 bolt rifles a lot more than I do my AR's, and even though I have a few AR's that are very accurate, I consider my bolt rifles to be more so. I have 3 bolt 223's, a M7 stainless, M7 Predator, and a 700 XCR Compact Tactical. The Predator is the most accurate, followed closely by the XCR, The little stainless 223 is my truck gun, and it shoots as good as my most accurate AR.

I expect someone will say that maybe I don't have an "accurate" AR, but that's not the case. It may very well be that I am partial to bolt action rifles for hunting, as that's what I grew up hunting with. I just prefer them over an AR for most of my uses, and go to great lengths finding accurate loads for them. I'm sure I'm not the only one who does that either.

On a side note, a year or so ago I snagged one of those 700 ADL 223's that Walmart had marked down on clearance at $89. I had the 24 inch barrel cut back to 20 inches, restocked to a BDL style, and experiment with some reloads until I found one it liked. Gave it to my son, and he's now using it for a coyote rifle because he likes it better than the AR he was using.
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: 223 bolt guns - 12/24/21
AR rifles definitely have there uses, but I prefer a bolt action .223 as well. I have a Stevens 200, M700, and M70 in .223 Rem. The M70 is by far my favorite of the .223 rifles, but the 1:12 twist limits bullet selection a little. It's still a great rifle for 3-400 yard shots with 55 grain and less bullets.

I have a few AR-15 rifles and pistols as well, but I practice and hunt far more with the bolt action rifles than I do anything else. If I get another .223 Rem it'll probably be a full custom and a fast twist so I can use it more for hunting deer where legal. Not that I can't use what I have, I just want things different than factory offerings.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 223 bolt guns - 12/24/21
I didn't need two .223's, so I sold the heavy barreled very accurate AR and kept the Browning single shot. Life is simpler now, and still satisfying.
Posted By: GeoW Re: 223 bolt guns - 12/24/21
I enjoy using the 223 bolts for different recreational tasks. The ARs more for just in case... or use if necessary.

There is a difference.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: 223 bolt guns - 12/24/21
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

P

If I was looking, I’d be all over that, unless I needed a light one. Both of .223s are SS too, but these are difficult times…..

That's a Goat Fhuqk Rifle. Hint.

Purty easy to align COAL,RPM and ThroatGeometry,along with S/S Bore Sanctity...thusly. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

You reap COAL Latitude that exceeds RPM and Throat Geometry,which is a GOOD thang. It's also double stacked,so 10rds is tucked fairly trite. It ain't AICS,butcha' can meld. The Kenworth Shifter don't hurt. Mountain Tactical extended 1913 40 MoMo's don't suck and 10x MQ's are on fhuqking Sale. Scoop the BC's and Swiffer Low's,so all is in the same box. Hint.

Just sayin'.....................
Posted By: 5thShock Re: 223 bolt guns - 12/25/21
Personally, I'm glad to see all these bolt guns. The gun landscape gets flat and dull when one thing dominates.
Posted By: HitnRun Re: 223 bolt guns - 12/25/21
Originally Posted by EFHutton

This place has been off course so long, no one even knows what is going on in the world of guns. I doubt there is a manufacturer of guns that doesn’t make a 223.
Posted By: Billewe Re: 223 bolt guns - 12/29/21
I've got a Smith & Wesson I bought new about 30 years ago or when they bought Husqvarna. I never shot it till last year. Put on a scope I had on my on. Bore sighted by eyeball at 50yrds.as luck would have it I printed the bullet about 2" high. Moved back to 100 yards but didn't change a thing. I just wanted to see the group from five shots and I couldn't believe it. A nice tight cloverleaf pattern. I stopped their . Went home and cleaned the gun . I had some 52grs that I loaded for it but haven't shot it since. Love the little thing but I've been to busy shooting other guns. Since components I heard was hard to get I made a search of my inventory. Found I had over 5000 primers plus had about 1000 brass given to me.
Posted By: philthygeezer Re: 223 bolt guns - 01/04/22
I like the Kimber .223 bolt actions.

Also think that CZ makes a great little 527.

Ruger used to make a Mark II Sporter in .223 as well.

There's nothing quite like a sweet little .223 Rem bolt action sporter.
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: 223 bolt guns - 01/04/22
Originally Posted by philthygeezer
I like the Kimber .223 bolt actions.

Also think that CZ makes a great little 527.

Ruger used to make a Mark II Sporter in .223 as well.

There's nothing quite like a sweet little .223 Rem bolt action sporter.

CZ has stopped making the 527, unfortunately.

And Kimber doesn’t chamber their 84 in 223 anymore either. I’m happy I got my 223 Montana when I did. It’s a fabulous rifle.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: 223 bolt guns - 01/04/22
I have a LH Kimber of Oregon 84 in 223 Rem. It's a beautiful little rifle.
Posted By: scoony Re: 223 bolt guns - 01/04/22
Yeah, this thread is about 223 bolt actions, and I have a Rem 700 Walmart clearance special with a SWFA 6 that shoots phenomenal, but this Ruger #3 in 223 seems to get carried afield more.

That 4-14x mounted in this pic was a bit much so I replaced it with a FX-II in 4x. This is my only 223 that has taken deer so far.

I keep thinking of getting it rebored or rebarreled, but it is so much fun in 223 that I have to leave it as is.
Posted By: frogman43 Re: 223 bolt guns - 01/05/22
I sought out, and purchased, a Ruger Hawkeye 77 RSI in .223 a couple years ago, a Lipsey's special. So glad I bought it when I did! Fantastic little Pig/Deer rifle and all around plinker that looks great!
Posted By: Bohsandos1 Re: 223 bolt guns - 01/23/22
Ive got a CZ 527 American in .223 and it shoots great with 68 gr boat tail hollow points
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: 223 bolt guns - 01/23/22
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
A quality .223 bolt gun with a fast twist barrel in a "close-to" blueprint of your favorite hunting rifle is worth the investment. .22 rimfire aside, I shoot a lot more .223/.223AI rounds every year than I do all other centerfire rounds combined. About any time I'm shooting there's a 223/223AI along for the ride.

Just my opinion, but I think a manufacturer should make a fast twist .223 version of every rifle they produce.

Exactly. I bought a .223 M700 SPSS (plain-jane stainless) some years ago, slow twist and all, and rebarreled it to a fast twist Pac-Nor .223AI, 20” sporter profile, and I love it for exactly the reasons you say. I even put a brake on it so I can easily see my shots at longer ranges. Love the little rifle.

Just got a package from Midway- 30mm Talleys- I did a big scope shuffle and have a Zeiss v4 4-16x44 left over; it’s about to land on that rifle. My youngest is hangin’ here for the winter and is excited to learn to shoot a rifle for reals. smile
Posted By: Raferman Re: 223 bolt guns - 01/23/22
Jeff O is ready to vote away his rifles.
Or does that only apply to Republican voters.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 223 bolt guns - 01/23/22
My boy was home on leave and we zeroed an AR he built but right about dark I pulled the Tikka outta the truck.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

He had quite a smile after shooting it. Great rifle for the money.
I’ve got 1/2 pound of 335 left then I’m switching to Lever. Already got some... sounds like it’s the shizzle in .223/.223AI bolt guns.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 223 bolt guns - 01/23/22
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I’ve got 1/2 pound of 335 left then I’m switching to Lever. Already got some... sounds like it’s the shizzle in .223/.223AI bolt guns.

It works well. Just finished up with the 6 ARC and 108 ELDs. It was good there as well.
“I hear good things”.... lol

I’ll be running 75 ELD’s from my AI with it. Sounds like I’ll pick up significant FPS over 335.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 223 bolt guns - 01/24/22
What sorta speeds do you get with the AI and 75’s?

I’m right at 2800 with 77’s and couldn’t be happier but I’ll never turn down free speed whistle
Posted By: mibowhunter Re: 223 bolt guns - 01/24/22
Originally Posted by beretzs
What sorta speeds do you get with the AI and 75’s?

I’m right at 2800 with 77’s and couldn’t be happier but I’ll never turn down free speed whistle

I get 3k with H335 and 75s out of 22"
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: 223 bolt guns - 01/24/22
2934 with Varget and 75 ELDM, vanilla.223.
Posted By: Higginez Re: 223 bolt guns - 01/24/22
.223AI loads

27.6 gr Lever in FF'd Rem brass and CCI 400 is running 75 ELD's at 3,080 fps in a 21" Bartlein.

25.3 gr Lever is a pretty mild FF load with CCI 400 running 75 ELD's at 2,840 in 21" Bart.

Nice. I could probably step on it a little I guess if I wanted. Thanks for the heads up.
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: 223 bolt guns - 01/24/22
I agree seems to be a lack of sporter weight 223s
The heavy barrel ones are common
Don’t really look for them much as I have a 223 zitel get lots of use
Posted By: lastround Re: 223 bolt guns - 01/24/22

39 years ago, I owned and shot a lot a very accurate Ruger No. 3 single shot. Lord, I wish I still had that one………
Posted By: Higginez Re: 223 bolt guns - 01/24/22
Nice. I could probably step on it a little I guess if I wanted. Thanks for the heads up.

My .223AI 75 gr load is 280 fps faster than yours.

My 22 Creed is only 370 fps faster than my .223AI load.

Step on it a little my friend. smile
Originally Posted by Higginez

My .223AI 75 gr load is 280 fps faster than yours.

My 22 Creed is only 370 fps faster than my .223AI load.

Step on it a little my friend. smile

Damnit, back to the bench! I need a push now and again.
Posted By: Journeyman Re: 223 bolt guns - 01/24/22
Originally Posted by EFHutton

$699.99 at SW a few weeks back...8 twist SuperLite

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mooshoo Re: 223 bolt guns - 01/24/22
Originally Posted by Houston_2
Originally Posted by hikerbum
CZ makes them I believe

I have a model 527 and that mini Mauser is a sweet shooter.

I've got the cz 527 with the full length stock super cool!!!!!!!!
Posted By: scoony Re: 223 bolt guns - 01/24/22
LGS has a Howa mini in 223 with a 1-8 twist skinny barrel. Stock sucks and mag sucks, but it is calling my name over and over. Don’t think I can resist much longer.
Posted By: huntjinx Re: 223 bolt guns - 01/24/22
If you can find one you better go get it if funds allow.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: 223 bolt guns - 01/24/22
I have a Ruger American Ranch Rifle in .223. Accurate enough and fun to shoot.
Posted By: tzone Re: 223 bolt guns - 01/25/22
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

I had a compact RAR in .223. It was fun. I'd get another not in compact if I can find one
Posted By: roverboy Re: 223 bolt guns - 01/26/22
I got a Savage 110E that I've had since '90.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: 223 bolt guns - 01/26/22
I have rebarreled to 223 in bolt actions:
1972 Sav 110
Stevens 200 [sav 110 old parts getting used up at the factory]
1903 Turkish Mauser
Mosin Nagant bottom eject. manual lifter, single shot
Posted By: Tesoro Re: 223 bolt guns - 01/27/22
I wanted a 223 bolt and found this little Sako a1 L461 made in 1979. Was unfired. Paid 1300 for the gun and put on the scope. fantastic trigger. Shoots better than I can. They can be found if you hunt around but 223 is rare. Most were in 222

[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/16890399/sako-a1-l461-223[/img]
Posted By: Igloo Re: 223 bolt guns - 01/27/22
I bought my girlfriend a Savage Axis left hand, youth model with a 20" barrel. Rough, and the ejection is spotty but its a pretty consistent just below an inch shooter, better with a load it likes. Cheap Hornady 55 gr SP shoots into about 1.2 inches.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 223 bolt guns - 01/28/22
I think that by ‘79, the .223s were more common. I bought one in ‘73 ($257!) and mounted a Lyman All American 8X. Foolishly traded it for something that was gone in short order.
Posted By: Tesoro Re: 223 bolt guns - 01/28/22
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I think that by ‘79, the .223s were more common. I bought one in ‘73 ($257!) and mounted a Lyman All American 8X. Foolishly traded it for something that was gone in short order.

With the availability and cost of ammo, one might see them becoming more popular for shooting/hunting. Can kill any deer with them now that we have better bullets.Thats why I bought that Sako.
Posted By: philthygeezer Re: 223 bolt guns - 01/30/22
IMO the Kimber .223 is the best form factor for the .223. Like a little mini Model 70. CRF and easy scope mounting. Easier than the 527 I used to own.

Did the 84M not sell in .223?
Posted By: Buzzaw Re: 223 bolt guns - 01/31/22
Bergara made a special run on these. Compact and stout! I shopped forever. Couldn't find one I really liked till Bergara anwered my prayer. It has a Trigger Tech Primary, I will replece it with a Diamond and add a small pic rail to forend..

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: cas6969 Re: 223 bolt guns - 01/31/22
I can see production numbers being low, manufacturers figuring most "regular" purchasers who buy a .223 are buying ARs. "Long range" is the craze in rifles sales, so .223 is out in the cold there. Only varmint hunters and like want .223 bolt guns these days?? Dunno.

I'd like a Steyr Scout in .223 but I'm not willing to pay the going rate.
Posted By: screaminweasil Re: 223 bolt guns - 01/31/22
Originally Posted by Buzzaw
Bergara made a special run on these. Compact and stout! I shopped forever. Couldn't find one I really liked till Bergara anwered my prayer. It has a Trigger Tech Primary, I will replece it with a Diamond and add a small pic rail to forend..

Yep. Sweet rifles. I have one. Shoots great with 75gr ELD's and Lever
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: 223 bolt guns - 01/31/22
Originally Posted by Buzzaw

Ya, I've been looking for one of those on the used market for what seems like forever. I don't think they made many, or at least, it seems like they didn't. Either that, maybe they are so good that nobody gets rid of them. Heck, maybe it's a little of both.
Posted By: Josh Sorensen Re: 223 bolt guns - 02/06/22
There are a few tikka t3x out there to be found. I picked this one up last week to replace one I foolishly sold years ago. I’ve been very impressed with them. I put a mark 3 HD 4-12x40 on this one. Hoping to keep it sleek and compact. Not sure if I’m sold on the mark 3, It tracked well today but the crosshairs are a bit on the thick side.

Any good light compact aftermarket stocks out there for the t3x?
Posted By: Troutnut Re: 223 bolt guns - 02/06/22
Ive got a few . Couple 700s , 700 VLS, Ruger 77 , hoping to pick up a 788 this week
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 223 bolt guns - 02/06/22
This is my Hawkeye AW, wearing walnut I picked up here. The Hawke is gone, replaced by a Trijicon Credo HX 2.5-10x56.

It’s a “sporter”, but a pretty dang heavy one. The scope weighs 25oz. Nice glass though.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JamesJr Re: 223 bolt guns - 02/06/22
I have 223 bolt rifles that cover all the bases as far as I'm concerned.

Remington 700 Compact Tactical XCR, 1-9 twist. They were a high dollar rifle that never sold well in 223. Shoots pretty good.

Remington Model 7 Predator, 1-12 twist, one of my favorite rifles. Very accurate.

Remington Model 7 Stainless, 1-9 twist. My truck rifle. Lightweight and also a very good shooter.
Posted By: Featherweight6555 Re: 223 bolt guns - 02/06/22
For anyone interested Ed’s gun shop in Vass NC ( google it) has a used Remington 700 in .223 . 999.99
Looks to be synthetic and blued IDK. Maybe ceracoated?

Not affiliated in any way just passing it along.

Nice Hawkeye Pappy. I have one just like it. Bought in 2006. Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40 on mine . Loves it some Hornady v max’s .
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555
For anyone interested Ed’s gun shop in Vass NC ( google it) has a used Remington 700 in .223 . 999.99
Looks to be synthetic and blued IDK. Maybe ceracoated?

Not affiliated in any way just passing it along.

Nice Hawkeye Pappy. I have one just like it. Bought in 2006. Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40 on mine . Loves it some Hornady v max’s .

Thanks. I paid $600 for it, and $150 for the stock, then sold the plastic one for $75 IIRC. I have a bunch invested in rings though!
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: 223 bolt guns - 02/06/22
Only pic I have of this one but I'm pretty fond of it:

Posted By: Buzzaw Re: 223 bolt guns - 02/06/22
Haven't shot my Bergara yet but the best bolt .223 I've owned was a Remington 5R. You can still find them on Gunbroker
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Only pic I have of this one but I'm pretty fond of it:

Drool!

I think they’re really missing the boat by not offering that now, or at least the Hunter.
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: 223 bolt guns - 02/07/22
I had a red-dot sight that another guy wanted, said he'd trade me a Plain-Jane Savage Modle 11 for it. I figured I'd shoot the rifle more than I'd use the sight, so the deal was done.

I got it home, cleaned the barrel, borescoped it and thought it looked horribly rough (I'm used to Pac-nor, etc.), retorqued the action screws, and put a spare 3-9X40 VX-2 on it. I had some 69 grain SMK ammo I'd loaded for an SPR which I ended up shooting 77 grain SMKs out of. I haven't even adjusted or replaced the trigger, which is an accutrigger so it's not too bad.

That thing surprised me how well it shot. And fun, too.

If I ever find time to hunt Coyotes, it and the SPR will be what I take.
Posted By: snoeproe Re: 223 bolt guns - 02/07/22
Savage and Browning are both still producing a 223 hunting/range rifle in bolt action
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: 223 bolt guns - 02/07/22
I had the only one at the gun show this weekend
Sold pretty quick
Posted By: philthygeezer Re: 223 bolt guns - 04/23/22
Still think that Kimber ought to reinstate the stainless 84M in .223. Great training rifle for using the same thing .308 Win.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: 223 bolt guns - 04/23/22
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Mannlicher;
Good evening my friend, I hope the week behaved itself for you and you're all well.

Regarding your Ruger American Ranch, a younger fellow who I'm helping to get started hunting, shooting and reloading picked on up after fooling with my Ruger American that I've had since they first brought out the 1:8 twist.

This was the old stock with the floopy fore end still, so it's hogged out enough to throw a cat into it, but it shoots okay enough to have a lot of fun for not much money.

[Linked Image]

I've not got out with the chap yet to see if it shoots better than mine, but I believe it might.

Way back when 'Fire member cotis was making the magazine extensions I was fortunate enough to source a couple, so I can load 75gr bullets out now, which is nice, though I must say some mystery 62gr HP shoot better groups at 100yds.

A good bolt gun in .223 is something I've now been recommending new shooters get as they're both relatively cheap to shoot and teach good shooting habits too - or can do if one is so inclined.

All the best to you all this weekend Mannlicher.

Dwayne
Posted By: rockdoc Re: 223 bolt guns - 04/23/22
I bought an as new Kimber Montana 223 earlier in the year. Can’t wait to shoot it in a couple of months. First one I’ve seen advertised here.

I didn’t realize that the action was shorter than the standard 84M.

Have some LW Talleys. But not sure of scope.
Posted By: Teeder Re: 223 bolt guns - 04/23/22
Originally Posted by rockdoc

It's not. The action and bolt are the exact same length. The loading port is different.
Posted By: rockdoc Re: 223 bolt guns - 04/23/22

It's not. The action and bolt are the exact same length. The loading port is different.

Aah, thank you.

Will have a look in the morning but makes perfect sense.
Posted By: Teeder Re: 223 bolt guns - 04/23/22

Aah, thank you.

Will have a look in the morning but makes perfect sense.

👍
© 24hourcampfire