Home
When I get my taxes back this year I will be picking up a mountain rifle. I already know what caliber I want, I just can't decide on the rifle itself. I am looking at the Tikka t3x superlite and the savage 110 ultralight. I have handled both in a gun shop and they both feel good, any thoughts from those that own one or the other or even both?
Feeding and extraction are more solid in my opinion on the Tikka. I also like the trigger better on a Tikka. Barrel fouling is also less on the Tikka. I can't think of any reason I choose a Savage over a Tikka. Lastly, Tikkas seem to hold their value better should you decide to sell it down the road. However, only you know what fits and feels the best to you.
Tikka. Hands down.
As mentioned…Tikka.
Tikka
So far it sounds to be overwhelmingly the Tikka. I am going to look a lot closer at it!
Tikka
Originally Posted by devnull
Feeding and extraction are more solid in my opinion on the Tikka. I also like the trigger better on a Tikka. Barrel fouling is also less on the Tikka. I can't think of any reason I choose a Savage over a Tikka. Lastly, Tikkas seem to hold their value better should you decide to sell it down the road. However, only you know what fits and feels the best to you.

Great post. I'd also add that the Tikka's seem to edge out the Savage in precision/accuracy, most times. Not always, but most times. The ergo's on the Tikka are better, but that is a personal thing.
Between those two tikka. Honestly I’m having a hard time coming up with any factory rifle I would take over a tikka
I have both, Tikka for sure.
Originally Posted by Mosinwolf762
When I get my taxes back this year I will be picking up a mountain rifle. I already know what caliber I want, I just can't decide on the rifle itself. I am looking at the Tikka t3x superlite and the savage 110 ultralight. I have handled both in a gun shop and they both feel good, any thoughts from those that own one or the other or even both?

I Have both and the tikka is smoother and has a better trigger.
What caliber are you looking at?
.270 win.
Tikka barrels are very smooth, and very easy to clean, with little fouling. Very close, in fact, to a custom barrel in this regard. I have a savage 116 that shoots reasonably well ,( 1moa) but it has a really rough barrel and begins to copper foul between 20, -25 rounds. My tikkas have been very accurate as well. I would go with tikka if I were you.
Was checking out a new savage at LGS the other day. Spiral fluted bolt, carbon wrapped barrel etc. Just can't get over how junkie the action was and have heard of mag/feeding issues. My Tikka at half the price was head and shoulders above it in every way IMO.
Tikka.....and I own a lot of savages and like them a lot.
I have had two Savage Ultralight's with the Proof Carbon wrapped barrel (I still have one ) and they are extremely accurate (.5 moa accurate) and Savage 110 models have a very strong aftermarket, I have changed bolt handles and added Timney triggers as im not a fan of the accutrigger with the blade and I really love the adjustable Savage stock, all rifles should have this, I am 6ft 2" tall so why should i shoot the same LOP as my 5ft 9" buddy? ...that being said I think overall the T3x is a better rifle, and there are several Tikka fanboys on this site that will agree ( its always the same 5 or 6 guys that chime in) the Tikka has a better action (I like the Sako style extractor) the Tikka factory trigger is better and you can replace the "plastikka" bottom metal and change other parts ( bolt stop, shroud etc.) I have owned 14 Tikka T3/T3x rifles and every one was an moa shooter right out of the box but the ergo's of the stock are not for everybody and I dont care for the cheesy recoil lug system, also if by the unlikely chance you ever need customer service you will be on your own cause Beretta wont do chit! ...These are both excellent Mountain rifles and there is not a bad choice here.....Good luck....Hb
Originally Posted by brush_buster
Tikka.....and I own a lot of savages and like them a lot.

I used to own a lot of Savage rifles as well. The best one was actually a Steven's 200 that I sold to a buddy a few months ago. That barrel was phenomenal and the rifle was lightweight, but it always shot sub moa. Not just 3 or 5 shot groups, but sub moa 10 shot groups. I wouldn't have sold it, but one of my buddies was in search of a good yote rifle. The reason I got rid of the other Savage rifles was because of the reasons already mentioned. Mainly function. The Savage rifles do not always extract or eject in a real positive manner, like the Tikka does. I have never had 1 failure with a Tikka rifle and that is how I prefer my go to hunting rifles. If I'm not using my Tikka's, I'm using my Winchester model 70's and old warhorse m1917's. Those always work without fail.
It is definitely sounding like the Tikka is the way to go! And like earlier mentioned it is also 1/2 the price.
What actually started this idea is like you I will probably be selling a rifle to a buddy. He had a problem with his scope last deer season so I loaned him my 90s era Remington 700 mountain and he fell in love with it. He has been bugging me ever since to sell him it so I figured what the heck I might as well upgrade. The choices I'm looking into are almost 1lb lighter than the 700 mountain.
Don’t own either, but wouldn’t mind a Tikka, and would take it over any current Savage any day.
Tikka
Tikka.
It is definitely sounding like the Tikka is the way to go! And like earlier mentioned it is also 1/2 the price.
What actually started this idea is like you I will probably be selling a rifle to a buddy. He had a problem with his scope last deer season so I loaned him my 90s era Remington 700 mountain and he fell in love with it. He has been bugging me ever since to sell him it so I figured what the heck I might as well upgrade. The choices I'm looking into are almost 1lb lighter than the 700 mountain.

Ah ha. Its good to have buddies, but sometimes it means you sell stuff to them at great prices and both of you win. Another one of my buddies bought 3 of my Savage rifles. He loves Savage though, and 2 of them were the older Predator models (223 rem and 22-250). Then a coworker needed a long range rifle, so I gave up my Savage 12FV 6.5 Creedmoor. We would go to a private range after work and would shoot 4-500 yards. He felt left out because he did not have a good rifle. I sold the package deal for cheap. I told him that I would not sell it to anyone from my club because I would not want to compete against that rifle. Slowly, my Savage rifle collection dwindled away. I hate to make it sound like I'm bad mouthing Savage, because they have all been great shooters. I just believe they are not as rock solid as the Tikka's are...
There aren't many (rifles) that I wouldn't take over a Savage. whistle

Another tally for the Tikka.
.270 win.

Great cartridge. The epitome of "mountain rifle" cartridges. Hard to go wrong with that choice.. Others that work well would be 7mm08, 308w, and of course 6.5 Creedmoor. Of course, there are many more cartridges that would work well. For my lightweight Tikka's, I don't like to go over 7mm rem mag, because they will pound you..
Zero question. Tikka. I own 7 and years ago slid my Savages or Stevens 200’s down the road.

Tikka = BMW ergonomics that shoots like a 3k custom.

Savage = Ford Pinto looks but shoots like a Dodge Dart
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
Zero question. Tikka. I own 7 and years ago slid my Savages or Stevens 200’s down the road.

Tikka = BMW ergonomics that shoots like a 3k custom.

Savage = Ford Pinto looks but shoots like a Dodge Dart
I bought my first Savage left hand 110 in 1972 I bought 6 after that.Then I bought a Tikka 595 I never bought another Savage but have bought T3,T3x and T1x I would buy more but Beretta in their stupidity doesn’t bring in a lot of left hand models.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
.270 win.

Great cartridge. The epitome of "mountain rifle" cartridges. Hard to go wrong with that choice.. Others that work well would be 7mm08, 308w, and of course 6.5 Creedmoor. Of course, there are many more cartridges that would work well. For my lightweight Tikka's, I don't like to go over 7mm rem mag, because they will pound you..

I’ve got a 300 Win in the Superlite and you are 100% correct. It’s very accurate and very sporty off the bench.
Tikka - no contest
Tikka, no question. I own 2 of them in 270, got the T3x Lite stainless. I liked the first one so much I bought a second one for a back up.
Damn! If you already have a 90's era Remington 700 Mountain rifle your not going to be upgrading with either of the rifles you are considering, I would rather have the Mountain Rifle any day.....Hb
I have a Savage UL in 280 AI. It took me awhile to smooth out the action, and the AccuTrigger is not my favorite (will likely replace it with a Timney soon). I think the Tikka edges out the Savage in several factors. My main decision on the Savage over the Tikka was Tikka doesn’t make a 280 AI, and I didn’t want the buy a new rifle and re-barrel it. I do like the Savage now, it’s very accurate and the action has smoothed out nicely.
So far it sounds to be overwhelmingly the Tikka. I am going to look a lot closer at it!

Buy the dam thing........then look as close as you want.....

I would suggest you find a decent optic, zero. .....and never look back.
Originally Posted by SCgman1

Buy the dam thing........then look as close as you want.....

I would suggest you find a decent optic, zero. .....and never look back.

I apologize for my outburst.......imma drinking likker and in my buzziness......mistook this comparison of a tikka and the savage as an idiotic question.......im sorry as i am lord of the idiotic questions.
I have owned a lot of tikkas and one Savage UL. Tikkas are great for alot reasons, my only real negative that applies to all of the ones owned is they are slow compared to other brands with the same barrel length.

I have a 100 UL in 6.5 creed. I bought it used and got a good deal. It is a crazy accurate rifle, honest .5-.75 moa shooter, likes all 5 loads I have tried. The action is pretty smooth. The accutrigger takes a little getting used to. the stock could be stiffer but I love the adjustable comb and lop kit it comes with. The pad is great. The magazine is a beyond stupid one, I like blind mags or floorplates, but it feeds smooth. I like the nitride finish.

The savage blows the tikka away for weight.

Your call. But all I know who have the 110 UL are more than happy with them, especially the accuracy.

Spence
I have several of both and like them all. Both will shoot well. I would try and handle both and see what fits. If I was forced to choose, the only thing that would make me pick the Savage is wanting a short action or needing the lighter Savage. Outside of those being requirements, I would get a Tikka.
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Damn! If you already have a 90's era Remington 700 Mountain rifle your not going to be upgrading with either of the rifles you are considering, I would rather have the Mountain Rifle any day.....Hb

I was thinking the same thing!
I haven't done the deal yet because it is a damn good gun. Dragging my feet giving him an answer lol. He really wants it and the Tikka is a sweet shooting rifle and almost a pound less weight... Decisions definitely...lol

There are a few options for putting your 700 on a diet, that would probably net you a pound.
Originally Posted by taylorce1

There are a few options for putting your 700 on a diet, that would probably net you a pound.
Just out of curiosity what would that be?
I haven't done the deal yet because it is a damn good gun. Dragging my feet giving him an answer lol. He really wants it and the Tikka is a sweet shooting rifle and almost a pound less weight... Decisions definitely...lol

Get the Tikka, it's a better rifle.
Tikka

Agree, this would not be an upgrade in any way. Keep the beauty rem mountain rifle and buy the tikka. Then sell the tikka down the road.
I would get the Tikka but id keep the Mountain Rifle 👍....Tikka's shoot good but thats really about it, Tikka's are a dime a dozen, you can find them at any local Bass Pro shop in the price point rack right next to the Ruger Americans and Savage 110's..Tikka rifles have no soul like a vintage Model 700 Mountain Rifle does. When you hunt a Tikka nobody looks twice ( or gives a rip) but if your packin a 90's era Remington 700 Mountain rifle other hunters will take notice with envious eyes at your rare and beautiful classic hunting rifle 😁....Hb
I would hold out for a new browning coming out for the faster twist rates in 270, can shoot the longer heavier bullets than in the other two mentioned
Tikka
If your set on a lightweight mountain rig, watch for Rem 700 titanium. Their rare but out there. I have one in 260 rem that weighs in scoped at 6lb even. Great handling and shooting classic. They were years ahead of their time when they were introduced. Guess I’m partial to good solid classics with metal trigger guards.
Originally Posted by taylorce1

Just out of curiosity what would that be?

Take a look at scope, rings, bases, and your stock.
Originally Posted by laker1
If your set on a lightweight mountain rig, watch for Rem 700 titanium. Their rare but out there. I have one in 260 rem that weighs in scoped at 6lb even. Great handling and shooting classic. They were years ahead of their time when they were introduced. Guess I’m partial to good solid classics with metal trigger guards.

And schidt extractors and horrible triggers. But to each their own..
I don't think that the Savage can even be compared to the Tikka.

And schidt extractors and horrible triggers. But to each their own..

I’ll take your so called horrible trigger behind a metal trigger guard over a molded in plastic trigger guard on a whimpy plastic stock any day. Some components on todays firearms may be considered upgrades. But not enough for me.
I would get the Tikka but id keep the Mountain Rifle 👍....Tikka's shoot good but thats really about it, Tikka's are a dime a dozen, you can find them at any local Bass Pro shop in the price point rack right next to the Ruger Americans and Savage 110's..Tikka rifles have no soul like a vintage Model 700 Mountain Rifle does. When you hunt a Tikka nobody looks twice ( or gives a rip) but if your packin a 90's era Remington 700 Mountain rifle other hunters will take notice with envious eyes at your rare and beautiful classic hunting rifle 😁....Hb

My thoughts exactly. But what I’ve come to realize is the new age hunters haven’t got a clue what the “class” is we’re talking about. It’s funny you mention the part about looking twice. I used pretty much the same analogy with a son in law who is just getting into hunting. He didn’t quite understand what I was trying to get at until I compared it to his high end golf equipment. Like showing up at the club house with Kmart clubs. Then he got it.
I'm genuinely curious why the Tikka is supposedly so much better than the Savage (aside from folks just not wanting to say they shoot a Savage... and I'm talking about 110/10 vs. Tikka not the Axis line)? They're both plastic. They're both known to be MOA or better out of the box. They both *used* to be known as dependable budget options, though the Tikka price keeps going up in spite of nothing changing about the rifle itself... and guys replacing lots of factory parts anyway.

Is it weight? Twist rates? What makes the Tikka so much better?
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
I'm genuinely curious why the Tikka is supposedly so much better than the Savage (aside from folks just not wanting to say they shoot a Savage... and I'm talking about 110/10 vs. Tikka not the Axis line)? They're both plastic. They're both known to be MOA or better out of the box. They both *used* to be known as dependable budget options, though the Tikka price keeps going up in spite of nothing changing about the rifle itself... and guys replacing lots of factory parts anyway.

I think part of it may involve the resale value. Savages don't hold up as well in that department.
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm

Good question. I’ve noticed the same. I can’t say for me one is any better than the other. Tikkas have a growing fan base, which I’m sure they love.
I’ve got 3 of those older ‘90 era R700 mountain rifles. (270, 25-06 & a converted 338-06) and yeah they are good for the time but each one has required a little/alot of work to get shooting to my standards. My ‘C’ prefix .270 has a rough spot in the barrel but still shoots ok somehow.

As for Savage 10/110/Stevens 200: I’ve only owned two or three and none now. The stock triggers are garbage to me. I’m not an accutrigger guy. The overall fit/finish/bluing are lacking and generally they feel clumsy in the ergo department. The action always reminded me of a slightly refined Arisaka and to my design eye seemed over engineered but in a rough way. Granted I never owned a modern version or what they may declare as an upscale version but they still use the same basics as I understand.

Directly comparing them to a Tikka T3x is silly to me though. My first Tikka was a T3x Superlite 308. First time I shot it with factory WW power point 150g it clustered 5 shots into 3/4” @100. Bought a 6.5 Creed Superlite and worked up to MuleDeer’s load of Hunter under a 129gr Hornady Interlock. Literally every test group was 1/2”-3/4”. I just picked the one that gave me the best velocity. Next I bought a 300 Win Superlite. 180gr & H4831 had me in the same accuracy range right off the bat. Then I picked up a T3x compact on 6.5CM and with the same load mentioned above it’s same accuracy. I now have a .223 & .308 compacts all shooting similarly.

Honestly I’ve owned/own far more Remington 700’s over the years and never - I mean never has any one particular rifle been so accurate with so little work as the Tikka. Winchester 70 is about the next closest in my experience to similar accuracy but even those needed a little tweaking.

I fully get the wood/blue romance but dang the accuracy & ergo are ridiculously good. Not perfect but for the price? Very good with the T3x despite its plastic nature. It’s the Glock of the rifle world.

My .02 - not hating on anyone or anything but sharing my honest appraisal
Good stuff Pinto. Thanks for your input. Helped me with my direction........................
I've never owned a Tikka but I've used a T3x at the range. I owned one Savage (an American Classic in 243). So my 2 cents might only be worth a penny! That said...

To me, the Tikka stock is pretty flimsy *for what they cost* at present. When you pay $450 for a Ruger, you expect MOA and a garbage molded stock. The Tikka is nicer, obviously, but not almost twice the price nicer. That's sort if where I'm coming from with the Savage comparison. Tons of guys on here defend Tikka "because the rifle is a tool and it's accurate out of the box"... which is a diplomatic way of saying it's ugly and plastic but it shoots great. But then the diehard Tikka guys never seem to want to apply that criteria to other rifles that are ugly but also MOA from the box.
I’m a fan of Tikka but also a realist. Plastic is plastic for sure - comes down to aesthetic preferences & Tikkas are of a design that fit me well. I’ve also got a couple Ruger American Ranch rifles. They are indeed much rougher than a Tikka but dang they shoot very good - still cost me $575 for the Grendel so not super cheap. I picked up my compact .308 for $659 during a sale. Not even $100 difference but Tikka is much better to me.

Thing is though - a guy can change the stock easily but not the action & design. That could be good or bad depending on how a guy looks at things.

I’m actually a Sako AV & Kimber 84 fan - I’m reasonably new to Tikka - just full disclosure.

Pints
"The action always reminded me of a slightly refined Arisaka . . ."

Maybe a late war 99. My M38 carbine is beautifully machined and slick as schit through a goose.

Also have the Savage.Predator in .223. Very accurate but the action seems rough but works.
I also have a ruger American, bought it for $100 with redfield 2-7 scope. It weighs the same as a tikka superlite

Trigger adjusted down nicely, and I polished the bolt with lapping compound for 5 minutes. Not a big deal.

It shoots everything into less than 3/4 of an inch.

Compared to the Tikka:
The American is an actual short action so weighs less and is shorter/more compact than the standard tikka.

The American has a faster 1:10 rifling twist rate.

The American has a better bedding system, that doesn't fail like the tikkas.

The American holds more rounds, and flush fitting for carry at the balance point.

Mine is sighted for 220 grain nosler partitions over 45 grains of lever revolution,for 2480 fps.

It's a loaner rifle for guests that come moose/caribou hunting with me.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
I also have a ruger American, bought it for $100 with redfield 2-7 scope. It weighs the same as a tikka superlite

Trigger adjusted down nicely, and I polished the bolt with lapping compound for 5 minutes. Not a big deal.

It shoots everything into less than 3/4 of an inch.

Compared to the Tikka:
The American is an actual short action so weighs less and is shorter/more compact than the standard tikka.

The American has a faster 1:10 rifling twist rate.

The American has a better bedding system, that doesn't fail like the tikkas.

The American holds more rounds, and flush fitting for carry at the balance point.

Mine is sighted for 220 grain nosler partitions over 45 grains of lever revolution,for 2480 fps.

It's a loaner rifle for guests that come moose/caribou hunting with me.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Can I come moose/caribou hunting with you?

I'll even bring my own rifle!
Tikka rifles have some fanboys on this site that think they are the best rifle ever made and Salvage 110's also have their fan base. I own a few Tikka T3x and a few Salvage 110 rifles and they both have their merits and detractions first plus for both is they shoot great! (And that is ALL that some guys need or care) I have owned some Salvage rifles that were scarey accurate right out of the box (sub .5") 👍....BUT Salvage 110's have their pieced together bolt ( thats very easy to work on) but rougher than the smooth T3x, along with their bladed trigger (which I change out to a Timney immediatly) and a Salvage rifle aint the prettiest girl at the dance but some models have the Accustock which I find excellent for fitting to my preferance, all hunting rifles should have this.....Tikka T3x also shoot/work great with a fantastic trigger and smooth as silk action but they have the notorious "plastikka" bottom metal along with a non-adjustable plastic stock that has a very cheesy recoil lug system and dont forget the plastic magazines and the one size fits all action from .223 Rem to .300 Win 😵‍💫 ..In the end both rifles are built to a price point and they do work great but neither can be compared to a fine classic hunting rifle like a Model 70 or many others......Good hunting ....Hb
Check out the Superlite version at Sportman's Warehouse.
Hell, lets really get this discussion going. I'll throw out getting a Browning X-Bolt in one of several models. Plain old Stainless Stalker, Hells Canyon Speed etc. IMO the bolt throw, smoothness and tang safety cant be beaten. Weight and accuracy are good also. I say the Browning is better than both the Tikka or Savage.
Yeah I cant argue with the Browning X-bolt being a dandy rifle, i have owned several (maybe 8 ) and they have been on average the most accurate rifle's right out of the box I have owned. my only complaint is i dont care for the busy trigger ( lots of parts ) and im not a fan of the bolt handle but I do like the short bolt lift and weight is fine, not too heavy not too light and X-bolt's have nice looking aluminum bottom metal👍..They make a dandy rifle at Miroku Corp..Hb
Originally Posted by Whiptail
That's the exact one I'm looking at
There is a lot to like about the X-Bolt. I like the fact that the safety locks the bolt. Would be tempted to pick up basic X-Bolt SS in 308 but alas, I'm left handed.

One down side is that many (most) of their models are pretty expensive. You could be into a pretty snazzy semi-custom for the same money.
Originally Posted by Whiptail
That's the exact one I'm looking at
I also looked at a couple weatherby vanguards while I was there. They look to be really sweet rifles as well, but weighed in about 7.5 lb possibly a little heavy for a mountain rifle?
I have both rifles. My Savage is a 223 and my Tikka is a 6.5CM. I am a huge fan of both rifles, but would pick the Tikka every day of the week. The Savage is lighter, but with the spiral cuts in the bolt, the bolt does not slide very smoothly. It feels more like a titanium action. The Tikka on the other hand is super slick. It is great. Both shoot very well. The only reason I would consider the Savage over the Tikka is if you like to tinker with barrel and bolt head swaps or if you were a dedicated sheep hunter where every ounce counts. I have never used a prefit on a Tikka so I can not speak to that. I have on the other hand had dozens of Savages apart tinkering and having fun. Like I said, I am a huge fan of both rifles. I think I own five or six Savages and four Tikkas. Neither will disappoint on accuracy.
If you’re not dead set on a new mountain rifle, look at a good used weatherby mk5 ultralight. I have one in 280rem. Deadly accurate and weighs in at 5.75lbs. Very hardy well built rifle.super slick action and Shoulders like a dream. And has soaked up a lot of mountain abuse and keeps on ticking. Highly, Highly recommend.
If you’re not dead set on a new mountain rifle, look at a good used weatherby mk5 ultralight. I have one in 280rem. Deadly accurate and weighs in at 5.75lbs. Very hardy well built rifle.super slick action and Shoulders like a dream. And has soaked up a lot of mountain abuse and keeps on ticking. Highly, Highly recommend.
I was actually playing online earlier tonight and was looking really close at the new weatherby mark v hunter. It weighs in at right around 6 lbs and the price is really good too!
After much research, if I do decide to sell my buddy my 700 mountain my replacement should be an upgrade. I am looking very closely now at the new weatherby mark v hunter and the Kimber Montana. Does anyone have any experience with either?
Tikka

If accuracy is the only criteria you judge a rifle by IME the Ruger is a tie with Tikka. I've had 3 of the Ruger Predators, 223, 308, and 6.5CM. All were quite accurate. But I had magazine issues with the 308 and 6.5. The 223 uses AR magazines which work, and I still have that rifle. The magazines work on my Tikka's and the 5 round mags don't protrude far enough below the stock to be an issue for me. That is all I use.

I paid $350 each for my Predators and can remember seeing the standard Americans priced at $200 on sale. At that price I'd look hard at the Ruger. But the Predators are now approaching $500. I can still get a blue Tikka for $600 and it is well worth $100 more to me.

A SS Tikka is around $750. SS isn't a regular option with Ruger, although I've seen one.
Yeah if accuracy is your only concern in a New rifle you can save a LOT of money by buying Tikka T3/Ruger American/Savage 110 rifles and have a great time with some very accurate rifles 👍👍.....Hb
After much research, if I do decide to sell my buddy my 700 mountain my replacement should be an upgrade. I am looking very closely now at the new weatherby mark v hunter and the Kimber Montana. Does anyone have any experience with either?

You have a lot of votes for Tikka and then you want to get a Weatherby? Sorry, but that is not an upgrade over the mountain rifle. The Tikka is an upgrade because it is more mechanically sound/reliable, plus it will outshoot that mountain rifle any day of the week.. It's your choice, but you are trying to take a step backwards on that one. Good luck with your search. Hell, the mauser I just bought is an upgrade over all the rifles you mention. ha ha..
My son has a Tikka t3 in 270 Win. We think it is a good rifle, however it is a terrible idea to take the safety off to get the round out of the chamber. We can talk about " dont be stupid" , " just be carefull", but when it is cold out and maybe even with big gloves, it does not take that much to make a mistake. One slip of your hand when you are out all morning hunting and you are cold, your hands don't worth the same. To make matters worse, a 2 lb trigger does not take much to set off. There is no reason for it. My Ruger American, TC Venture, Rem. 700 all let you take the round out with the safety on. Also, That gun kicks like a mule in 270 Win . especially with hard loads with 150 gr. for our bear loads. The recoil pad is all but useless too. Many say it has a weak part in the recoil lug too. One poster said he would not go bigger than 270 WIn . because of that. There is no reason for that neither , if it is true. As for my only Savage, a model 12FV with a bull barrel in .223 Rem. Sure, it shoots good, real good, but the round hardly ever goes into the chamber . This makes it basically a single shot. Not that it matters, it has never been in the woods. I wanted to trade the Savage in for a Tikka T3 light but with that "safety" I don't think I will buy one. Would be a coyote gun. Below 0 temps are common. This leaves me with a Ruger Ranch rifle if I want a super light .in .223 Rem. Cant find them at the gun shops though . ,.. After 100 yrs of making rifles, they still seem to be stupid . Why dont they make a Ruger compact in .223 Rem?? I like mine in .243 WIn.
I apologize, I would like to set the record straight. The rifle I have that my buddy wants to buy isn't 90s era, it is early to mid 2000s. It is a model 700 mountain SS. I got it mixed up with my 90s Winchester 70 .30-06(which is not going anywhere 😉)
Originally Posted by ihookem
My son has a Tikka t3 in 270 Win. We think it is a good rifle, however it is a terrible idea to take the safety off to get the round out of the chamber. We can talk about " dont be stupid" , " just be carefull", but when it is cold out and maybe even with big gloves, it does not take that much to make a mistake. One slip of your hand when you are out all morning hunting and you are cold, your hands don't worth the same. To make matters worse, a 2 lb trigger does not take much to set off. There is no reason for it. My Ruger American, TC Venture, Rem. 700 all let you take the round out with the safety on. Also, That gun kicks like a mule in 270 Win . especially with hard loads with 150 gr. for our bear loads. The recoil pad is all but useless too. Many say it has a weak part in the recoil lug too. One poster said he would not go bigger than 270 WIn . because of that. There is no reason for that neither , if it is true. As for my only Savage, a model 12FV with a bull barrel in .223 Rem. Sure, it shoots good, real good, but the round hardly ever goes into the chamber . This makes it basically a single shot. Not that it matters, it has never been in the woods. I wanted to trade the Savage in for a Tikka T3 light but with that "safety" I don't think I will buy one. Would be a coyote gun. Below 0 temps are common. This leaves me with a Ruger Ranch rifle if I want a super light .in .223 Rem. Cant find them at the gun shops though . ,.. After 100 yrs of making rifles, they still seem to be stupid . Why dont they make a Ruger compact in .223 Rem?? I like mine in .243 WIn.

Are you going to compare the trigger on a Tikka T3 with one out of a Remington 700 in regards to functionality? Especially in cold weather.
you can't go wrong with a Savage... but you do it with style when you pick a Tikka....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I bought a Savage Storm light weight last year. I waited over four months for it. I have an old Savage but this new one was sure a big letdown. It sure took alot to make it shoot acceptable. I think it will be the last Savage I buy. It was not a cheap gun. Price of reloading components are getting too expensive to waste them trying to get something to shoot. Sure, Savage sent me a few parts without problem, but I would rather not be paying for customer service.
Originally Posted by Seafire
you can't go wrong with a Savage... but you do it with style when you pick a Tikka....
Tiika t3x style?...wow!....Hb
Originally Posted by Seafire

laugh

You have a lot of votes for Tikka and then you want to get a Weatherby? Sorry, but that is not an upgrade over the mountain rifle. The Tikka is an upgrade because it is more mechanically sound/reliable, plus it will outshoot that mountain rifle any day of the week.. It's your choice, but you are trying to take a step backwards on that one. Good luck with your search. Hell, the mauser I just bought is an upgrade over all the rifles you mention. ha ha..

+1 well said
Originally Posted by SKane

Yep!

Get the Tikka.

If you hate it - you’ll be able to sell it here in 10 seconds.

One cannot assume that buying a more expensive Kimber, and certainly not a Weatherby will outshoot the lowly, plastic Tikka - ask how we know this. (I own 5 MkV & now 1 Kimber Classic - none of them outshoot my Tikkas right out of the box)

Yep!

Get the Tikka.

One cannot assume that buying a more expensive Kimber, and certainly not a Weatherby will outshoot the lowly, plastic Tikka - ask how we know this. (I own 5 MkV & now 1 Kimber Classic - none of them outshoot my Tikkas right out of the box)

Makes it hell being a M70 guy grin
Originally Posted by beretzs

Yep!

Get the Tikka.

Yep. It's harder when you value aesthetics too.
Agreed
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Originally Posted by beretzs

Yep!

Get the Tikka.

Yep. It's harder when you value aesthetics too.

Two very good points.
The Tikka does definitely seem to be coming very highly recommend, the only thing that worries me is I keep hearing horror stories about the magazines. Primarily them somehow coming out wile on the trail or climbing through thick brush. Other than that, a Tikka would definitely be the winner
The Tikka does definitely seem to be coming very highly recommend, the only thing that worries me is I keep hearing horror stories about the magazines. Primarily them somehow coming out wile on the trail or climbing through thick brush. Other than that, a Tikka would definitely be the winner

Never had an issue losing a magazine. If that is a concern, I can't see how the Ruger would fare better unless a blind magazine.
The mags coming out is news to me. And for all the fanfare Tikka gets here, one would think that topic would be more rampant.

I can see how it's possible but if there's a place it'd be beotched about and completely blown out of proportion, this would be THE place. laugh
The mags coming out is news to me. And for all the fanfare Tikka gets here, one would think that topic would be more rampant.

I can see how it's possible but if there's a place it'd be beotched about and completely blown out of proportion, this would be THE place. laugh
Maybe I should not pay too close attention to YouTube reviews! Maybe the Tikka would be the way to go
As to the magazine, plastic? Yep. Single stack? Yep. And?

It's quite rigid and is part of the what makes it feed so smoothly.

I have owned T3's since the first year they were introduced and not only have not had an issue with maigazines coming loose, this is the first reference I have seen that it is an issue. The magazine catch on the T3 is so positive that if it is not properly snapped in place then that would qualify as user error, not a T3 issue.

If you have ever handled one then it should be obvious that poor magazine seating and latching is not an issue. But then there are people who can break an anvil, and there are also a lot of people who would rather blame the equipment rather than admit that they may have made an error by not seating the magazine properly.

The most logical answer is to purchase one or the other and if you don't like it sell it and buy the other one, then you too can be an internet expert about which one is best.

drover
Originally Posted by drover

I have owned T3's since the first year they were introduced and not only have not had an issue with maigazines coming loose, this is the first reference I have seen that it is an issue. The magazine catch on the T3 is so positive that if it is not properly snapped in place then that would qualify as user error, not a T3 issue.

If you have ever handled one then it should be obvious that poor magazine seating and latching is not an issue. But then there are people who can break an anvil, and there are also a lot of people who would rather blame the equipment rather than admit that they may have made an error by not seating the magazine properly.

The most logical answer is to purchase one or the other and if you don't like it sell it and buy the other one, then you too can be an internet expert about which one is best.

drover
I appreciate the information coming from experience. Like I said the complaints I heard came from YouTube reviews and the rifle I held in the gun shop did not have a magazine with it because the owner removes them all before he puts the guns on display
After going down and looking real close at the Tikka I decided to take the consensus of the advice given here and I kept the rem 700 and bought a Tikka t3x lite in 6.5 creedmoor lol. I told my buddy he should go check out the Tikka himself and put his money towards buying himself a new rifle or just fix up that old Remington 760 he was using.
I have had a Tikka T3 hunter in .300 wsm with the wood stock since 2004. I haven’t had any issues with it at all. Killed antelope in New Mexico with it, as well as numerous hogs and deer here in south Mississippi. My one complaint is the recoil pad that is as soft as a brick. Only thing I have changed from factory is a Mountain Tactical recoil lug.
The Tikka in 6.5 CM will be a great all around Rifle. Throw a set of Sports Match rings and your scope of choice and your gonna love that rig.

Strange, I don't know where you've heard those "horror stories" from, but I've never seen it. Seems like you may be making excuses. Not even valid excuses. Is there a reason you haven't bought a Tikka yet? Besides hearing the magazines fall out on their own? If that was really something that happened to Tikka's, there would be people biotching about it here. Trust me on that one. This thread has been far too long and drawn out without a rifle purchase going on. You are going to be very hard pressed to find a better shooting, handling, lightweight, smooth operating, exceptional trigger, and super reliable rifle out there for the price. You will likely not find a better rifle for twice the money you'd pay for a Tikka.

Strange, I don't know where you've heard those "horror stories" from, but I've never seen it. Seems like you may be making excuses. Not even valid excuses. Is there a reason you haven't bought a Tikka yet? Besides hearing the magazines fall out on their own? If that was really something that happened to Tikka's, there would be people biotching about it here. Trust me on that one. This thread has been far too long and drawn out without a rifle purchase going on. You are going to be very hard pressed to find a better shooting, handling, lightweight, smooth operating, exceptional trigger, and super reliable rifle out there for the price. You will likely not find a better rifle for twice the money you'd pay for a Tikka.

The OP did buy a T3X chambered in 6.5 CM, as stated on the last page...
I went with Talley lightweight 1peice rings, but so far I do love it
I went with Talley lightweight 1peice rings, but so far I do love it

25 in/lbs for the bases, 18 in/lbs for the rings.

P
Appreciate it. I had the gun shop install them. They offered to do it free because I bought the rifle, rings, and scope from them so I took them up on it

I did have a magazine fall out of my old Tikka 595 while climbing a mountain side in the dark once, but I hit the magazine release accidently and could have happened with a number of other rifles. I still love Tikkas. The older 595's as well as the newer T3's.
© 24hourcampfire