(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
HR IC

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mosinwolf762
It is definitely sounding like the Tikka is the way to go! And like earlier mentioned it is also 1/2 the price.
What actually started this idea is like you I will probably be selling a rifle to a buddy. He had a problem with his scope last deer season so I loaned him my 90s era Remington 700 mountain and he fell in love with it. He has been bugging me ever since to sell him it so I figured what the heck I might as well upgrade. The choices I'm looking into are almost 1lb lighter than the 700 mountain.

Ah ha. Its good to have buddies, but sometimes it means you sell stuff to them at great prices and both of you win. Another one of my buddies bought 3 of my Savage rifles. He loves Savage though, and 2 of them were the older Predator models (223 rem and 22-250). Then a coworker needed a long range rifle, so I gave up my Savage 12FV 6.5 Creedmoor. We would go to a private range after work and would shoot 4-500 yards. He felt left out because he did not have a good rifle. I sold the package deal for cheap. I told him that I would not sell it to anyone from my club because I would not want to compete against that rifle. Slowly, my Savage rifle collection dwindled away. I hate to make it sound like I'm bad mouthing Savage, because they have all been great shooters. I just believe they are not as rock solid as the Tikka's are...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There aren't many (rifles) that I wouldn't take over a Savage. whistle

Another tally for the Tikka.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
.270 win.

Great cartridge. The epitome of "mountain rifle" cartridges. Hard to go wrong with that choice.. Others that work well would be 7mm08, 308w, and of course 6.5 Creedmoor. Of course, there are many more cartridges that would work well. For my lightweight Tikka's, I don't like to go over 7mm rem mag, because they will pound you..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Zero question. Tikka. I own 7 and years ago slid my Savages or Stevens 200’s down the road.

Tikka = BMW ergonomics that shoots like a 3k custom.

Savage = Ford Pinto looks but shoots like a Dodge Dart

IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
Zero question. Tikka. I own 7 and years ago slid my Savages or Stevens 200’s down the road.

Tikka = BMW ergonomics that shoots like a 3k custom.

Savage = Ford Pinto looks but shoots like a Dodge Dart
I bought my first Savage left hand 110 in 1972 I bought 6 after that.Then I bought a Tikka 595 I never bought another Savage but have bought T3,T3x and T1x I would buy more but Beretta in their stupidity doesn’t bring in a lot of left hand models.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
.270 win.

Great cartridge. The epitome of "mountain rifle" cartridges. Hard to go wrong with that choice.. Others that work well would be 7mm08, 308w, and of course 6.5 Creedmoor. Of course, there are many more cartridges that would work well. For my lightweight Tikka's, I don't like to go over 7mm rem mag, because they will pound you..

I’ve got a 300 Win in the Superlite and you are 100% correct. It’s very accurate and very sporty off the bench.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Tikka - no contest

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Tikka, no question. I own 2 of them in 270, got the T3x Lite stainless. I liked the first one so much I bought a second one for a back up.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
It is definitely sounding like the Tikka is the way to go! And like earlier mentioned it is also 1/2 the price.
What actually started this idea is like you I will probably be selling a rifle to a buddy. He had a problem with his scope last deer season so I loaned him my 90s era Remington 700 mountain and he fell in love with it. He has been bugging me ever since to sell him it so I figured what the heck I might as well upgrade. The choices I'm looking into are almost 1lb lighter than the 700 mountain.
Damn! If you already have a 90's era Remington 700 Mountain rifle your not going to be upgrading with either of the rifles you are considering, I would rather have the Mountain Rifle any day.....Hb

IC B3

B
B
I have a Savage UL in 280 AI. It took me awhile to smooth out the action, and the AccuTrigger is not my favorite (will likely replace it with a Timney soon). I think the Tikka edges out the Savage in several factors. My main decision on the Savage over the Tikka was Tikka doesn’t make a 280 AI, and I didn’t want the buy a new rifle and re-barrel it. I do like the Savage now, it’s very accurate and the action has smoothed out nicely.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So far it sounds to be overwhelmingly the Tikka. I am going to look a lot closer at it!

Buy the dam thing........then look as close as you want.....

I would suggest you find a decent optic, zero. .....and never look back.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SCgman1
So far it sounds to be overwhelmingly the Tikka. I am going to look a lot closer at it!

Buy the dam thing........then look as close as you want.....

I would suggest you find a decent optic, zero. .....and never look back.

I apologize for my outburst.......imma drinking likker and in my buzziness......mistook this comparison of a tikka and the savage as an idiotic question.......im sorry as i am lord of the idiotic questions.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have owned a lot of tikkas and one Savage UL. Tikkas are great for alot reasons, my only real negative that applies to all of the ones owned is they are slow compared to other brands with the same barrel length.

I have a 100 UL in 6.5 creed. I bought it used and got a good deal. It is a crazy accurate rifle, honest .5-.75 moa shooter, likes all 5 loads I have tried. The action is pretty smooth. The accutrigger takes a little getting used to. the stock could be stiffer but I love the adjustable comb and lop kit it comes with. The pad is great. The magazine is a beyond stupid one, I like blind mags or floorplates, but it feeds smooth. I like the nitride finish.

The savage blows the tikka away for weight.

Your call. But all I know who have the 110 UL are more than happy with them, especially the accuracy.

Spence

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have several of both and like them all. Both will shoot well. I would try and handle both and see what fits. If I was forced to choose, the only thing that would make me pick the Savage is wanting a short action or needing the lighter Savage. Outside of those being requirements, I would get a Tikka.

“Lighten up Francis”
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Damn! If you already have a 90's era Remington 700 Mountain rifle your not going to be upgrading with either of the rifles you are considering, I would rather have the Mountain Rifle any day.....Hb

I was thinking the same thing!

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I haven't done the deal yet because it is a damn good gun. Dragging my feet giving him an answer lol. He really wants it and the Tikka is a sweet shooting rifle and almost a pound less weight... Decisions definitely...lol

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T

There are a few options for putting your 700 on a diet, that would probably net you a pound.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by taylorce1

There are a few options for putting your 700 on a diet, that would probably net you a pound.
Just out of curiosity what would that be?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I haven't done the deal yet because it is a damn good gun. Dragging my feet giving him an answer lol. He really wants it and the Tikka is a sweet shooting rifle and almost a pound less weight... Decisions definitely...lol

Get the Tikka, it's a better rifle.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (16gage, 160user, 10ring1, 12savage, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 63 invisible), 2,697 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,314
Posts18,505,660
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.