Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
When I get my taxes back this year I will be picking up a mountain rifle. I already know what caliber I want, I just can't decide on the rifle itself. I am looking at the Tikka t3x superlite and the savage 110 ultralight. I have handled both in a gun shop and they both feel good, any thoughts from those that own one or the other or even both?

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Feeding and extraction are more solid in my opinion on the Tikka. I also like the trigger better on a Tikka. Barrel fouling is also less on the Tikka. I can't think of any reason I choose a Savage over a Tikka. Lastly, Tikkas seem to hold their value better should you decide to sell it down the road. However, only you know what fits and feels the best to you.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Tikka. Hands down.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As mentioned…Tikka.

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Tikka

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B2

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
So far it sounds to be overwhelmingly the Tikka. I am going to look a lot closer at it!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Tikka

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by devnull
Feeding and extraction are more solid in my opinion on the Tikka. I also like the trigger better on a Tikka. Barrel fouling is also less on the Tikka. I can't think of any reason I choose a Savage over a Tikka. Lastly, Tikkas seem to hold their value better should you decide to sell it down the road. However, only you know what fits and feels the best to you.

Great post. I'd also add that the Tikka's seem to edge out the Savage in precision/accuracy, most times. Not always, but most times. The ergo's on the Tikka are better, but that is a personal thing.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Between those two tikka. Honestly I’m having a hard time coming up with any factory rifle I would take over a tikka

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have both, Tikka for sure.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Mosinwolf762
When I get my taxes back this year I will be picking up a mountain rifle. I already know what caliber I want, I just can't decide on the rifle itself. I am looking at the Tikka t3x superlite and the savage 110 ultralight. I have handled both in a gun shop and they both feel good, any thoughts from those that own one or the other or even both?

I Have both and the tikka is smoother and has a better trigger.
What caliber are you looking at?

Last edited by remingtonman; 01/16/23.

"When guns are outlawed,only the outlaws will have guns".
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
.270 win.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Tikka barrels are very smooth, and very easy to clean, with little fouling. Very close, in fact, to a custom barrel in this regard. I have a savage 116 that shoots reasonably well ,( 1moa) but it has a really rough barrel and begins to copper foul between 20, -25 rounds. My tikkas have been very accurate as well. I would go with tikka if I were you.

Last edited by atse; 01/16/23.
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Was checking out a new savage at LGS the other day. Spiral fluted bolt, carbon wrapped barrel etc. Just can't get over how junkie the action was and have heard of mag/feeding issues. My Tikka at half the price was head and shoulders above it in every way IMO.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Tikka.....and I own a lot of savages and like them a lot.

Texas bred and born
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have had two Savage Ultralight's with the Proof Carbon wrapped barrel (I still have one ) and they are extremely accurate (.5 moa accurate) and Savage 110 models have a very strong aftermarket, I have changed bolt handles and added Timney triggers as im not a fan of the accutrigger with the blade and I really love the adjustable Savage stock, all rifles should have this, I am 6ft 2" tall so why should i shoot the same LOP as my 5ft 9" buddy? ...that being said I think overall the T3x is a better rifle, and there are several Tikka fanboys on this site that will agree ( its always the same 5 or 6 guys that chime in) the Tikka has a better action (I like the Sako style extractor) the Tikka factory trigger is better and you can replace the "plastikka" bottom metal and change other parts ( bolt stop, shroud etc.) I have owned 14 Tikka T3/T3x rifles and every one was an moa shooter right out of the box but the ergo's of the stock are not for everybody and I dont care for the cheesy recoil lug system, also if by the unlikely chance you ever need customer service you will be on your own cause Beretta wont do chit! ...These are both excellent Mountain rifles and there is not a bad choice here.....Good luck....Hb

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by brush_buster
Tikka.....and I own a lot of savages and like them a lot.

I used to own a lot of Savage rifles as well. The best one was actually a Steven's 200 that I sold to a buddy a few months ago. That barrel was phenomenal and the rifle was lightweight, but it always shot sub moa. Not just 3 or 5 shot groups, but sub moa 10 shot groups. I wouldn't have sold it, but one of my buddies was in search of a good yote rifle. The reason I got rid of the other Savage rifles was because of the reasons already mentioned. Mainly function. The Savage rifles do not always extract or eject in a real positive manner, like the Tikka does. I have never had 1 failure with a Tikka rifle and that is how I prefer my go to hunting rifles. If I'm not using my Tikka's, I'm using my Winchester model 70's and old warhorse m1917's. Those always work without fail.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
It is definitely sounding like the Tikka is the way to go! And like earlier mentioned it is also 1/2 the price.
What actually started this idea is like you I will probably be selling a rifle to a buddy. He had a problem with his scope last deer season so I loaned him my 90s era Remington 700 mountain and he fell in love with it. He has been bugging me ever since to sell him it so I figured what the heck I might as well upgrade. The choices I'm looking into are almost 1lb lighter than the 700 mountain.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don’t own either, but wouldn’t mind a Tikka, and would take it over any current Savage any day.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Tikka

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

495 members (06hunter59, 1moredeer, 12344mag, 160user, 21, 10gaugeman, 52 invisible), 10,573 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,831
Posts18,537,065
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.