Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mosinwolf762
After much research, if I do decide to sell my buddy my 700 mountain my replacement should be an upgrade. I am looking very closely now at the new weatherby mark v hunter and the Kimber Montana. Does anyone have any experience with either?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
GB1

J
J
I bought a Savage Storm light weight last year. I waited over four months for it. I have an old Savage but this new one was sure a big letdown. It sure took alot to make it shoot acceptable. I think it will be the last Savage I buy. It was not a cheap gun. Price of reloading components are getting too expensive to waste them trying to get something to shoot. Sure, Savage sent me a few parts without problem, but I would rather not be paying for customer service.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by Seafire
you can't go wrong with a Savage... but you do it with style when you pick a Tikka....
Tiika t3x style?...wow!....Hb

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Seafire
you can't go wrong with a Savage... but you do it with style when you pick a Tikka....

laugh

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
After much research, if I do decide to sell my buddy my 700 mountain my replacement should be an upgrade. I am looking very closely now at the new weatherby mark v hunter and the Kimber Montana. Does anyone have any experience with either?

You have a lot of votes for Tikka and then you want to get a Weatherby? Sorry, but that is not an upgrade over the mountain rifle. The Tikka is an upgrade because it is more mechanically sound/reliable, plus it will outshoot that mountain rifle any day of the week.. It's your choice, but you are trying to take a step backwards on that one. Good luck with your search. Hell, the mauser I just bought is an upgrade over all the rifles you mention. ha ha..

+1 well said

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SKane

Yep!

Get the Tikka.

If you hate it - you’ll be able to sell it here in 10 seconds.

One cannot assume that buying a more expensive Kimber, and certainly not a Weatherby will outshoot the lowly, plastic Tikka - ask how we know this. (I own 5 MkV & now 1 Kimber Classic - none of them outshoot my Tikkas right out of the box)

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft

Yep!

Get the Tikka.

One cannot assume that buying a more expensive Kimber, and certainly not a Weatherby will outshoot the lowly, plastic Tikka - ask how we know this. (I own 5 MkV & now 1 Kimber Classic - none of them outshoot my Tikkas right out of the box)

Makes it hell being a M70 guy grin

Semper Fi
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by beretzs

Yep!

Get the Tikka.

Yep. It's harder when you value aesthetics too.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Agreed

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Originally Posted by beretzs

Yep!

Get the Tikka.

Yep. It's harder when you value aesthetics too.

Two very good points.

IC B3

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
The Tikka does definitely seem to be coming very highly recommend, the only thing that worries me is I keep hearing horror stories about the magazines. Primarily them somehow coming out wile on the trail or climbing through thick brush. Other than that, a Tikka would definitely be the winner

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The Tikka does definitely seem to be coming very highly recommend, the only thing that worries me is I keep hearing horror stories about the magazines. Primarily them somehow coming out wile on the trail or climbing through thick brush. Other than that, a Tikka would definitely be the winner

Never had an issue losing a magazine. If that is a concern, I can't see how the Ruger would fare better unless a blind magazine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The mags coming out is news to me. And for all the fanfare Tikka gets here, one would think that topic would be more rampant.

I can see how it's possible but if there's a place it'd be beotched about and completely blown out of proportion, this would be THE place. laugh

WWP53D
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
The mags coming out is news to me. And for all the fanfare Tikka gets here, one would think that topic would be more rampant.

I can see how it's possible but if there's a place it'd be beotched about and completely blown out of proportion, this would be THE place. laugh
Maybe I should not pay too close attention to YouTube reviews! Maybe the Tikka would be the way to go

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
As to the magazine, plastic? Yep. Single stack? Yep. And?

It's quite rigid and is part of the what makes it feed so smoothly.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

I have owned T3's since the first year they were introduced and not only have not had an issue with maigazines coming loose, this is the first reference I have seen that it is an issue. The magazine catch on the T3 is so positive that if it is not properly snapped in place then that would qualify as user error, not a T3 issue.

If you have ever handled one then it should be obvious that poor magazine seating and latching is not an issue. But then there are people who can break an anvil, and there are also a lot of people who would rather blame the equipment rather than admit that they may have made an error by not seating the magazine properly.

The most logical answer is to purchase one or the other and if you don't like it sell it and buy the other one, then you too can be an internet expert about which one is best.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by drover

I have owned T3's since the first year they were introduced and not only have not had an issue with maigazines coming loose, this is the first reference I have seen that it is an issue. The magazine catch on the T3 is so positive that if it is not properly snapped in place then that would qualify as user error, not a T3 issue.

If you have ever handled one then it should be obvious that poor magazine seating and latching is not an issue. But then there are people who can break an anvil, and there are also a lot of people who would rather blame the equipment rather than admit that they may have made an error by not seating the magazine properly.

The most logical answer is to purchase one or the other and if you don't like it sell it and buy the other one, then you too can be an internet expert about which one is best.

drover
I appreciate the information coming from experience. Like I said the complaints I heard came from YouTube reviews and the rifle I held in the gun shop did not have a magazine with it because the owner removes them all before he puts the guns on display

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
After going down and looking real close at the Tikka I decided to take the consensus of the advice given here and I kept the rem 700 and bought a Tikka t3x lite in 6.5 creedmoor lol. I told my buddy he should go check out the Tikka himself and put his money towards buying himself a new rifle or just fix up that old Remington 760 he was using.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have had a Tikka T3 hunter in .300 wsm with the wood stock since 2004. I haven’t had any issues with it at all. Killed antelope in New Mexico with it, as well as numerous hogs and deer here in south Mississippi. My one complaint is the recoil pad that is as soft as a brick. Only thing I have changed from factory is a Mountain Tactical recoil lug.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Tikka in 6.5 CM will be a great all around Rifle. Throw a set of Sports Match rings and your scope of choice and your gonna love that rig.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (21, 35, 7887mm08, afisher, 257_X_50, 9 invisible), 924 guests, and 843 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,978
Posts18,519,917
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.