Home
Posted By: RAS 360 Buckhammer - 01/18/23
Remington’s new invention for a straight walled case. A 200 yard lever round. Thoughts?

Some states recently are allowing this instead of using shotgun slugs. So there is a need in some areas. The best I have gotten with slugs is 100 yards.

https://www.remington.com/360buckhammer/media/hammering-with-360buckhammer.html
Posted By: cv540 Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/18/23
Sounds interesting and promising.

But dont think it will get much traction. Remington will hype it for a few years, but in 10 years time they will stop producing ammo for it.

Call me a cynic, but Remington doesnt have the strongest record of standing behind it's proprietary cartridges.
Posted By: jshks Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/18/23
With Ruger owning them, wonder why the 357 Maximum didn’t make it.
I hope to see a .480 Ruger in a lever gun at some point.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/18/23
Remington's response to Winchester's .350 Legend?
Posted By: RAS Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/18/23
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Never thought of that, but probably this.

I thought the 350 was going to be a dead duck. I was wrong. Many many people in southern Michigan are using it in traditionally shotgun slug areas. All due to the law change
Posted By: clockwork_7mm Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/18/23
Except Winchester will actually ensure it sticks around with sufficient rifles and the ammo is already everywhere. Sad, but I wouldn't trust Remington at all on either count.
Posted By: WiFowler Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/18/23
Yawn . . . .
Posted By: SKane Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/18/23
Originally Posted by RAS

Never thought of that, but probably this.

I thought the 350 was going to be a dead duck. I was wrong. Many many people in southern Michigan are using it in traditionally shotgun slug areas. All due to the law change

As of the first of the year, Illinois has adopted the same.
Posted By: bbassi Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/18/23
I think it's going to have a narrow following, depending on who chambers a gun for it. The 350L has a big head start and most people I know are leery of Remington's long term viability. Time will tell I guess.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/18/23
I would buy a new 336 if Marlin chambers it. I’m hunting more and more with levers. I’ve got just about every caliber that readily available. That would be a new one and it’s easy to make cases and bullets are plentiful even if Remington doesn’t support it that well.
Posted By: John55 Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/18/23
Originally Posted by jshks

Who or what does Ruger own? They don't own Remington ammo, that's part of Vista who also own Federal.
Posted By: SKane Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/18/23
Originally Posted by cv540
Remington will hype it for a few years, but in 10 years time they will stop producing ammo for it.
Call me a cynic, but Remington doesnt have the strongest record of standing behind it's proprietary cartridges.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/18/23
Originally Posted by RAS
Remington’s new invention for a straight walled case. A 200 yard lever round. . .

Whitetail deer can be killed at 200 yards
with the same Marlin 30/30s they've been
making for decades, and with regular ammunition.
My buddy's dad used a scoped 336 to regularly
kill deer way past the mythical 100 yard limit for
30/30 rifles. Most of mine were less than 200, but
I've killed a few at 160-170. I don't know where the
myth got started that after 100 yards 30/30 rounds
take a 90 degree turn into the dirt. Lack of firsthand
experience and many "hunting " magazines and
videos I guess
Posted By: Teal Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/18/23
Originally Posted by Ranger99
Originally Posted by RAS
Remington’s new invention for a straight walled case. A 200 yard lever round. . .

videos I guess

The problem isn't with 30/30 or magazines/videos - it's with states taking issue with bottlenecked cartridges.

This is a way around it. To be legal, not provide some real/imaginary improvement over a 30/30.

What RIFLE will Remington put this in? Because unless they make their own - why would someone else when the 350 Legen is already on mile 8 of the race?
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/18/23
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Except Winchester will actually ensure it sticks around with sufficient rifles and the ammo is already everywhere. Sad, but I wouldn't trust Remington at all on either count.
Yep. Just like they did the 17 WSM

LMAO
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/18/23
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by Ranger99
Originally Posted by RAS

videos I guess

The problem isn't with 30/30 or magazines/videos - it's with states taking issue with bottlenecked cartridges.

This is a way around it. To be legal, not provide some real/imaginary improvement over a 30/30.

What RIFLE will Remington put this in? Because unless they make their own - why would someone else when the 350 Legen is already on mile 8 of the race?

Yessir
Just putting that in there since the door was open.
Lots of people don't realize how effective many
of the old "obsolete " rounds can be.
357 and 44 mag rifles will kill deer and porkers
just fine, and I'm sure the " new" 360 will as well.

They'll have to make it fairly affordable, or they
might as well put it in the closet and forget about
it .
Posted By: RickyBobby Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/18/23
I just picked up two new rifles for myself and my boy chambered in 450 bushmaster because we live in Illinois and straight wall cartridges became legal January 1st. We both took a doe each with them this past weekend during our late antlerless season and I was really impressed how the 450 bushmasters knocked em off their feet! If you are going straight wall go 450 bushmaster! It has great knockdown energy.
Posted By: clockwork_7mm Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/18/23
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

LMAO
Riiiiiight. Winchester and Remington's recent financial and support situations are comparable...

350L isn't going anywhere. Much as it pains me, lever guns are not making a huge comeback when you can get the straight wall rounds in a bolt gun, re: from Winchester.
Posted By: hookeye Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/18/23
Remington cartridge, Henry rifles.
Posted By: earlybrd Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/18/23
What’s wrong with a 30-30?
Posted By: Deere_Man Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/18/23
Originally Posted by earlybrd

It’s not legal to hunt with in like five states.
Posted By: GuideGun Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/19/23
I think it's a pretty neat cartridge honestly. The numbers match or exceed the old 35 Remington which is a fantastic hunting round for its purposes. I think Remington did a decent job designing it, it can be formed from simple .30-30 brass blown out and trimmed down. Something the .35 Remington can't do. For this I will give the .360 a leg up. Factory brass or not, at least you can make it from something common. Can't say the same for my .35 Rem unfortunately, and good luck finding .35 Rem brass.

If Marlin makes it in the new 336 I will be a buyer.
Posted By: Dave_Spn Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/19/23

LMAO
Plenty of that next to the WSSM's on the shelf.
Originally Posted by JoeBob
I would buy a new 336 if Marlin chambers it. I’m hunting more and more with levers. I’ve got just about every caliber that readily available. That would be a new one and it’s easy to make cases and bullets are plentiful even if Remington doesn’t support it that well.

I'm in the same boat, though I could do a single shot in one. Rimmed cartridges and single shots go together.
It will also be a better platform for launching cast bullets.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/19/23
Originally Posted by Dave_Spn

LMAO
Plenty of that next to the WSSM's on the shelf.
But no Winchester or Browning rifles besides a single shot , genius
Posted By: moosemike Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/19/23
Originally Posted by Deere_Man

It’s not legal to hunt with in like five states.

And parts of Pennsylvania
Posted By: Scorpion Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/19/23
Reading is hard for a lot of folks. It’s a pretty cool round for deer in straight wall areas. Lots of guys can’t handle or don’t want the 444 or 450 Marlin, or a hot 45-70. Might be a lot of fun in a Ruger built 336.

The 350 Legend is a helluva deer killer. Many friends bought them for our special regulations areas and now use them statewide. Kind of going full circle ballistically from where we started as kids.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/19/23
Kauger Arms did a lot of testing using straight walled cartridges. The .444 out preformed them all in custom built bolt guns. Pretty much a 400 to 500yd deer round in the right rifle and scope combo.
Posted By: RAS Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/19/23
This has nothing to do with a 360 vs 30-30 or any other necked round.

There seems to be a nationwide trend to now allow straight walled cases to be used where only traditionally slugs or muzzleloaders were allowed before. More than likely, this is to get hunter interest back up. Most states are losing hunters by the thousands. That means less licenses sold.

I hunted with a slug gun for years and bought many. The farthest I felt comfortable shooting one was 100 yards. I would take a straight walled case any day over any slug gun if I could. Now a lot of hunters are doing just that since it’s legal.

The absolute best places to hunt deer in Michigan are in these urban and agricultural areas of southern Michigan. Lots of giants live there. An extra 100 yards to shoot farther is a huge advantage in you hunt in an area like this. My gut tells me that a pile of slug guns are available in southern MI gun stores right now.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/19/23
Heaven forbid Henry or anyone else make a lever gun in 357 Max. Nahh, let's make a whole new cartridge.
Posted By: clockwork_7mm Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/19/23
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
Heaven forbid Henry or anyone else make a lever gun in 357 Max. Nahh, let's make a whole new cartridge.

I get it... but it's a 40 year old cartridge that virtually no one outside of forums like this or gun nuts know, so I'm assuming they wanted a PR splash with something new. (And it doesn't seem nearly as powerful with 200 grain bullets.)
Posted By: PennDog Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/19/23

I get it... but it's a 40 year old cartridge that virtually no one outside of forums like this or gun nuts know, so I'm assuming they wanted a PR splash with something new. (And it doesn't seem nearly as powerful with 200 grain bullets.)

Yep - all about the Benjamins’ - if it was based on logic they would just legalize the .35 Remington (or just use the .357 Maximum) but the powers that be and the “average” hunter wouldn’t be able to figure that one out. It’s sad really - just very, very sad!!

PennDog
Posted By: eaglemountainman Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/19/23
I'm a big fan of the 35 Rem for stillhinting NE big woods whitetails. In a Marlin 336 or Rem 760, it's about perfect.

I'm intrigued by the new 360 Buck Hammer round, with that same big .358 frontal mass. It's got a bit more juice than the 35 Rem, which just might make it perfecter.
If I could buy it in a Marlin or Remington of their former quality, I might jump. I don't see that happening, though.
Posted By: hikerbum Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/19/23
Originally Posted by PennDog

Yep - all about the Benjamins’ - if it was based on logic they would just legalize the .35 Remington (or just use the .357 Maximum) but the powers that be and the “average” hunter wouldn’t be able to figure that one out. It’s sad really - just very, very sad!!

PennDog

It is pretty much about the Benjamins. Look at the companies that are hunting and gun related that are no longer around because they did not have enough Benjamins. The 360 is coming out to fill the need for a straight wall cartridge that the 35 Rem does not fit legally. If you want a new cartridge, and manufacturers supply it, and that gets more hunters afield, and continues to support our Constitutional rights...... I am all in favor of it.

For info, I use 30-06, .243, .357, 38 sple,.380, 12 ga for most needs. Will I buy a new whiz bang cartridge? Maybe, but give it a chance.
Originally Posted by hikerbum

PennDog

It is pretty much about the Benjamins. Look at the companies that are hunting and gun related that are no longer around because they did not have enough Benjamins. The 360 is coming out to fill the need for a straight wall cartridge that the 35 Rem does not fit legally. If you want a new cartridge, and manufacturers supply it, and that gets more hunters afield, and continues to support our Constitutional rights...... I am all in favor of it.

For info, I use 30-06, .243, .357, 38 sple,.380, 12 ga for most needs. Will I buy a new whiz bang cartridge? Maybe, but give it a chance.
I think a lot of folks -- myself included -- agree that it's good if it fills a genuine niche. I just have zero faith that Remington won't screw it up. Maybe Henry keeps them on the straight and narrow. We'll see.
Posted By: hikerbum Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/19/23
Originally Posted by hikerbum

PennDog

I think a lot of folks -- myself included -- agree that it's good if it fills a genuine niche. I just have zero faith that Remington won't screw it up. Maybe Henry keeps them on the straight and narrow. We'll see.

Remember that Remington is not the old Remington. I wish them great success. I encourage everyone to support all firearm and ammo manufacturers. This includes the local small guns shops......
Posted By: himmelrr Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/19/23
Remington is a new company. Past track record really does not matter. The fact of the matter is that if enough shooters buy a rifle in 360BH, then it will be supported. If not, it will go away. It is just business.

You guys whine about things not being made in America then complain about products that are made here.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/19/23
While philosophically I dislike having guns/ammo trends dictated by legislatures, here is one incidence where it did some good in a backhanded way: it fostered some "outside the box" thinking on the part of gun designers/makers, ammo companies, and hunters. Could you picture those three entities thinking about something like the Legend and now the Buckhammer 20 years, or even 10 years ago? And now embracing them? It took government decree to get things moving, and not we hidebound sticks-in-the-mud. And also, for once a class of cartridge came into being driven not by "Western standards" but rather by/for Eastern woods hunters (who make up about half or more of total American hunters). We here aren't best served by high velocity long range gizmos (although some misguided souls think otherwise)!

It's a shame the .357 Maxi didn't catch on in this role more than it has. It's a great cartridge that fights way outside its weight class, in a rifle. (I load mine nowhere near max, but out of my 26" barrel I'm getting 1900 fps/1600ft.lbs. with a 200 grain soft cast bullet which puts it squarely in competition with the .35 Remington when it's launched with a short carbine barrel. I could go quite a bit hotter but choose not to out of respect for my shoulder and a 6 pound rifle.) Lack of respect/popularity for the cartridge is probably a holdover from the bad press it got 40 years ago with it's poorly thought out vehicles of choice. This new round, along with the ballistic twin to the Maxi - the Legend - has it in its power to change that, and the Maxi will continue running ahead shouting "follow me!"

Personally I probably won't buy a lever gun Buckhammer, nor will I buy a bolt or semi-auto Legend. I don't need either of those contraptions in my life anymore. The little hunting I do here in MD's "straight wall zone" is easily covered by my custom Martini .357 Maxi (thankfully the zones I mainly hunt in are immune from such regulation). But, I'm intrigued a bit by the BH and if BrowWinMiroku brought it out in their modern Low Wall single shot I may well reach for my wallet - but not as a hunting rifle, rather as another new toy to play with at the range. It looks to be a nigh ideal cast bullet launcher. But then again, so is the Maximum.
Originally Posted by himmelrr
Remington is a new company. Past track record really does not matter. The fact of the matter is that if enough shooters buy a rifle in 360BH, then it will be supported. If not, it will go away. It is just business.

You guys whine about things not being made in America then complain about products that are made here.

The average guy complaining on the Fire is 105 years old.

The specific track record of Remington doesn't matter in the sense that Vista owns the ammo side and Henry is making the lever guns... and I would trust those two companies for QC and CS. But if it's going to end up in anything that the "other" Remington (Rem Arms) actually produces, or if longer term support is contingent on them in a significant way, I think it's pretty fair that folks are leery. Most of the recently-sold and rebooted rifle firms have not worked out all that well.

Who actually owns the 360 Buckhammer... Vista or RemArms?

PS -- You're on a hunting rifle forum after hunting season has ended... what did you expect everyone to be doing lol?
Posted By: okie john Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/19/23
Originally Posted by RAS
Remington’s new invention for a straight walled case. A 200 yard lever round. Thoughts?

Some states recently are allowing this instead of using shotgun slugs. So there is a need in some areas. The best I have gotten with slugs is 100 yards.

It's interesting.

I'd like to know what barrel length they used to get these ballistics.

Okie John
Posted By: John55 Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/19/23
Rem Arms has NOTHING to do with the round, it was developed by Remington and that company is owned by Vista. I'm sure the round will be chambered in many lever guns and single shots. Being a rimmed case it won't go in ARs or bolt guns, which could likely hurt the sales to some degree.
Posted By: KenMi Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/19/23
Yep, the 350 Legend has versatility. Bolt guns, ARs, and some have converted lever guns.

360 Buckhammer is a single shot or lever action cartridge. Or possibly a revolver.

It will have the same fate as the Marlin Express cartridges or the 450 Marlin.
Originally Posted by John55
Rem Arms has NOTHING to do with the round, it was developed by Remington and that company is owned by Vista. I'm sure the round will be chambered in many lever guns and single shots. Being a rimmed case it won't go in ARs or bolt guns, which could likely hurt the sales to some degree.

Hopefully that bodes well for it, re: Vista being in charge. Obviously the straight wall laws helped the 350L launch. But one of the things that I think really helped it was that Winchester absolutely FLOODED the market with it -- I mean it was EVERYWHERE on shelves -- which probably helped sales just because regular people want a rifle with ammo availability. I.e., random guy walks past the Wal-Mart ammo counter 20 times, sees 350L there *every time* when others are gone, and figures it's worth a shot. Because the 360BH will be limited to lever guns and single shots, it doesn't seem like it could/would make sense to go that route. There just aren't enough folks with lever guns to make it worthwhile.
Posted By: MrMuskie Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/19/23
Nobody buys lever guns, single shots or revolvers ? LMAO.
Ya gotta love the folks here who have never done a marketing study but somehow "know" what will succeed and fail.
It fills a niche market just like the 350L as everyone doesn't want an AR or bolt gun.
I'm looking forward to S&W chambering for it, will be nicer to shoot than my 460.

The specific track record of Remington doesn't matter in the sense that Vista owns the ammo side and Henry is making the lever guns... and I would trust those two companies for QC and CS. But if it's going to end up in anything that the "other" Remington (Rem Arms) actually produces, or if longer term support is contingent on them in a significant way, I think it's pretty fair that folks are leery. Most of the recently-sold and rebooted rifle firms have not worked out all that well.

Who actually owns the 360 Buckhammer... Vista or RemArms?

PS -- You're on a hunting rifle forum after hunting season has ended... what did you expect everyone to be doing lol?

I can make 360 BH cases from the tons of 30/30 brass I have.
Originally Posted by MrMuskie
Ya gotta love the folks here who have never done a marketing study but somehow "know" what will succeed and fail.
It fills a niche market just like the 350L as everyone doesn't want an AR or bolt gun.
I'm looking forward to S&W chambering for it, will be nicer to shoot than my 460.
Show us the annual sales stats of bolt vs. lever guns. Then show us production output of Henry vs. who is producing 350L rifles. You've studied all the data, why not share it?

No one said "no one buys lever guns" to hunt deer but if you think *new* lever gun sales are anywhere close to bolt guns (especially outside of the straight wall niche), you're just clueless. Then again, that last point *was* the point of my last post, which you clearly didn't read.
Show us the annual sales stats of bolt vs. lever guns. Then show us production output of Henry vs. who is producing 350L rifles. You've studied all the data, why not share it?

No one said "no one buys lever guns" to hunt deer but if you think *new* lever gun sales are anywhere close to bolt guns (especially outside of the straight wall niche), you're just clueless. Then again, that last point *was* the point of my last post, which you clearly didn't read.

Considering how stupid most people are, it doesn't mean much. It seems Henry is in the levergun business, so I don't think they are too concerned at present. Ruger can't keep up with the demand for Marlin lever actions.
Posted By: 2500HD Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/19/23
I’ve been playing with the last couple years with a .358 x 1.8” straight wall based on starline .223 basic brass. Started on it just prior to the announcement of the 350 legend. A full case of AA 1680 will push a 180 gr hornady ssp at 2600 fps out of a 26” MGM encore barrel. It’s a hammer on deer. We also have a couple of 357 maximums. Deer take very few steps from a hit from a 180 gr bullet out of the maximum Most our shots are within 150 yards with our food plot layout. Food plot is longer but the deer don’t necessarily need to be shot much farther than 150.
The .358 x 1.8” I call the.357 Rimless I also have built a Remington 700 with a .223 Wyatts box dm and it feeds flawlessly and gives plenty of length for this round.I’ve found with Head spacing off the rim makes brass length critical for accuracy. Same in the 450 bushmaster. The 357 maximum and new 360 BH with the rim does eliminate that critical case length but limits the platforms it can use.

Considering how stupid most people are, it doesn't mean much. It seems Henry is in the levergun business, so I don't think they are too concerned at present. Ruger can't keep up with the demand for Marlin lever actions.

The new walnut/blued 336s look great. But I'm guessing MSRP is gonna be 3 or 4x more than what JMs were going for on GB right before COVID/insanity.

Anything good for lever guns in general, I'm all for. Hope the 360 works out.
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/19/23
Originally Posted by jshks

Rossi made some a good while back. If you keep your eyes peeled, you might find one.

Puma .480 Ruger Levergun from Legacy Sports International - Gunblast.com
Posted By: MileHighShooter Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/19/23
Lever gun sales have increased the last few years. Pre covid wed have an assortment of them on our racks. Now they get bought up pretty dang quick unless it's a higher priced collector/rare gun. I still get asked several times per week about special order Henry rifles, especially 30-30 and 45-70, and that's in colorado where a bolt really is more useful for general use. Not sure what brought on the uptick in popularity with newer shooters, but its becoming target popular.

Now we add in a new cartridge legal in those straight wall states, but will likely have ammo all over the country, I think we'll see a decent number of shooters buying one. ATK hopefully keeps the supply steady, prices reasonable and can contract some good deals with rifle makers. The Ruger 336 ... i think they'll wait and see, Ruger normally partners with Hornady on new to market stuff.
Originally Posted by MileHighShooter
Lever gun sales have increased the last few years. Pre covid wed have an assortment of them on our racks. Now they get bought up pretty dang quick unless it's a higher priced collector/rare gun. I still get asked several times per week about special order Henry rifles, especially 30-30 and 45-70, and that's in colorado where a bolt really is more useful for general use. Not sure what brought on the uptick in popularity with newer shooters, but its becoming target popular.

Now we add in a new cartridge legal in those straight wall states, but will likely have ammo all over the country, I think we'll see a decent number of shooters buying one. ATK hopefully keeps the supply steady, prices reasonable and can contract some good deals with rifle makers. The Ruger 336 ... i think they'll wait and see, Ruger normally partners with Hornady on new to market stuff.
Just curious: is it mostly older 336s and newer Henry's you're selling? (I see lots of Marlins around here on the used rack, but never any 94s worth picking up.)
Posted By: Lonerider Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/19/23
It aint a legal cartridge in the states where the case must be 1.8 inches in length, .35 caliber and straight wall! That is the reason for rounds like this and the .350 legend etc.
Posted By: ChipM Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/19/23
I think it will be the death of the 35 rem. Its similiar in performance and will get factory support up front. 35 rem ammo and components are non existant now
Posted By: smallfry Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/19/23
What is case length and pressure of this cartridge?
S.
Posted By: Rodell Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/20/23
If I could get a BLR in this caliber I might even give up some long range calibers. As I get (much) older, I’m willing to sneak closer.
Posted By: clockwork_7mm Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/20/23
Originally Posted by Rodell
If I could get a BLR in this caliber I might even give up some long range calibers. As I get (much) older, I’m willing to sneak closer.
Why not just get a BLR in 358?
Posted By: smallfry Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/20/23
1.8” case and .358” bullet. These ballistics are similar to the 35 Rem but is shorter case without neck for pathetic states people live in with misguided rules. This will be more than adequate. Even 357 in rifle quite damaging on deer. The 360 will be good for cast 220-250.
Posted By: bbassi Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/21/23
Originally Posted by GuideGun
I think it's a pretty neat cartridge honestly. The numbers match or exceed the old 35 Remington which is a fantastic hunting round for its purposes. I think Remington did a decent job designing it, it can be formed from simple .30-30 brass blown out and trimmed down. Something the .35 Remington can't do. For this I will give the .360 a leg up. Factory brass or not, at least you can make it from something common. Can't say the same for my .35 Rem unfortunately, and good luck finding .35 Rem brass.

If Marlin makes it in the new 336 I will be a buyer.

If I can truly make brass for it from 30-30 I just changed my mind. More and more my buying decisions are based on long term availability of components. If true I'm less concerned with Remington's track record of cartridge support.
Posted By: ready_on_the_right Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/23/23
I think I would like this in that Henry single shot!

Posted By: Dave_Spn Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/23/23
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

That's exactly what I want.
Posted By: BustemAgain Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/23/23
I’d like mine in a Ruger No.1A.
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/23/23
Nothing wrong with a 30-30 except it’s not legal in my state. I caught the 350 Legend bug in 2019. I bought a 350 Legend upper for my AR-15 and mounted a Leupold scope that I already had. It shot close to MOA with factory ammo. Kills deer as well as my shotgun. I bought a lefty bolt rifle this past year. It’s even more accurate than the AR. I’m all in on the 350. I have bullets, brass, dies, and powder. I hope the Buckhammer makes it. But at this point it’s 350 all the way for me. I’m trying to find some 200 grain .358 FTX bullets to run through the sizing die and test (after reading John Barsness’ Handloader article). These bullets at 2100 fps would equal the .35 Remington.

Ron
Posted By: SuperCub Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/23/23
I wonder if one of those older Savage 340s in 30-30 could be re-bored for that.
Posted By: weagle Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/25/23
Originally Posted by SuperCub

I'm sure Jess will be on it. He already does a 35-30 rebore and he said he could rebore my savage 340 to 375 win. 360 BH shouldn't be a problem.

I'm curious if 38 specials would function as plinking loads through a break action single shot like the Henry or CVA.

Edit. A little more research indicates that the 360 BH chamber wouldn't clean up the 30-30 chamber, so it wouldn't be a simple Jess style re-bore / rechamber.
Posted By: Remington92 Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/25/23
If a fella had to have a lever gun I guess it would be somewhat intriguing. If I still lived in southern Illinois and needed a new deer gun my money would be on a savage 220 with remington accutips or something like a Ruger American 350 legend. Over all the buckerhammer is a dreadful name and not terribly interesting cartridge to me. Bit different strokes for different folks I guess.
Posted By: weagle Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/25/23
If it's possible to shoot 38 special and 357 mag though a single shot 360 Buckhammer it will be a very good choice for a kids first hunting rifle. Train and practice with cheap powder puff loads and work up to the big game loads.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/25/23
Not under the 1.8"x 358 restrictions myself so no dog in the race. I'd think that one of those 360 buckwangers chambered in a 336A or a angle eject winchester in a 64 configuration might be the tits. All based with the 180 gr fn speer bullet use just my 2 cts worth even though I have both pre crossbolt safety m1894 Marlins in 357 and 44...mb
Posted By: tzone Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/25/23

The average guy complaining about it, isn't going to get off the couch and go buy one anyway.
Posted By: Dave_Spn Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/25/23
Originally Posted by weagle

I'm sure Jess will be on it. He already does a 35-30 rebore and he said he could rebore my savage 340 to 375 win. 360 BH shouldn't be a problem.

I'm curious if 38 specials would function as plinking loads through a break action single shot like the Henry or CVA.

Edit. A little more research indicates that the 360 BH chamber wouldn't clean up the 30-30 chamber, so it wouldn't be a simple Jess style re-bore / rechamber.

If you look at a drawing, it won't work as the 360 BH has a smaller diameter than a 30/30 about half way up.

That single shot looks pretty sweet. I'd like to check one out.
Originally Posted by okie john
Originally Posted by RAS

It's interesting.

I'd like to know what barrel length they used to get these ballistics.

Okie John

The Youtube video posted on page 4 say's it was designed to run on a 20" barrel.
Posted By: Fotis Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/25/23

With the more available .358 cal bullets. Ruger needs to chamber (American rifle) for this if they can make the rimmed case work well in a bolt.
Posted By: Fotis Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/25/23

why not?
Posted By: pka45 Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/25/23
Why didn’t they just make it a 357 ultramax?? Then 357 dies would work and you could fire 38/357 in it. The Legend and the Buckhammer both just seem to want to create a need for more components…
Posted By: Dave_Spn Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/25/23
Originally Posted by Fotis

why not?
Because it won't clean up the chamber from what I've seen of the drawing. So there is that.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/26/23

The only real gripe I have with the Henrys is that they’re stocked for irons or shotgun use. I have a Beartooth riser sleeve on my .357. Scoping them can be a bit of a challenge because new scopes tend to have big honkin’ eyepieces. I found an old K4 that clears the hammer without a spur, but currently am running a prism. Might go red dot eventually, who knows? I’m optics fickle.
Posted By: UncleAlps Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/26/23
Henry needs to redesign their buttstock for use with optics or at least make it an option.
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/26/23
It was touched on earlier in the thread, but there is no such thing as "Remington" anymore. The Remington ammunition division was purchased by Vista. Vista is the parent for Federal, CCI, American Eagle, Blazer, Bushnell, Weaver, RCBS and others. Remington doesn't exist! It's just another company putting the label on the box. Nothing more than a marketing ploy to keep a familiar name in front of the consumer. Sure they acquired real estate and machinery, but there is nothing "Remington" about this. Just a box with a private label. Nothing more, nothing less. All managed by Vista executives.

Same with Rem Arms. It's not your daddy's Remington 700. Rem Arms won't even do warranty work on older Remington 700's, 870's, 1100's, etc. The Remington that we all recognize is gone and never coming back.

And someday Vista will start to bleed then they'll liquidate 'brands" that don't fit their agenda. Look at Savage. Vista bought it, then sold it because manufacturing firearms wasn't politically correct for their Board of Directors.

Everyone on this website should be throwing all of their support to the few privately owned companies left and convince them not to sell out! We'll see a time where these huge corporations (think Vista) that are publicly traded will be gobbled up by liberals and things we need cease to exist. I think everyone on here agrees there is an evil agenda we're fighting and they'll do anything to win.

We're in different times, but we need to make sure the privately owned manufacturers are given a look before we spend money elsewhere. Let them make enough to stay in business and not have the need to put for sale signs in the yard.
Posted By: moosemike Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/26/23
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
It was touched on earlier in the thread, but there is no such thing as "Remington" anymore. The Remington ammunition division was purchased by Vista. Vista is the parent for Federal, CCI, American Eagle, Blazer, Bushnell, Weaver, RCBS and others. Remington doesn't exist! It's just another company putting the label on the box. Nothing more than a marketing ploy to keep a familiar name in front of the consumer. Sure they acquired real estate and machinery, but there is nothing "Remington" about this. Just a box with a private label. Nothing more, nothing less. All managed by Vista executives.

Same with Rem Arms. It's not your daddy's Remington 700. Rem Arms won't even do warranty work on older Remington 700's, 870's, 1100's, etc. The Remington that we all recognize is gone and never coming back.

And someday Vista will start to bleed then they'll liquidate 'brands" that don't fit their agenda. Look at Savage. Vista bought it, then sold it because manufacturing firearms wasn't politically correct for their Board of Directors.

Everyone on this website should be throwing all of their support to the few privately owned companies left and convince them not to sell out! We'll see a time where these huge corporations (think Vista) that are publicly traded will be gobbled up by liberals and things we need cease to exist. I think everyone on here agrees there is an evil agenda we're fighting and they'll do anything to win.

We're in different times, but we need to make sure the privately owned manufacturers are given a look before we spend money elsewhere. Let them make enough to stay in business and not have the need to put for sale signs in the yard.

Why would RemArms do warranty work on guns they had nothing to do with? And have to take on the Walker trigger nightmare to boot. Ruger isn't doing Marlin warranty work either. Nor should they
Posted By: clockwork_7mm Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/26/23
Originally Posted by moosemike

Why would RemArms do warranty work on guns they had nothing to do with? And have to take on the Walker trigger nightmare to boot. Ruger isn't doing Marlin warranty work either. Nor should they
Not surprised at all that they aren't. But Ruger has also made very clear that they are Ruger producing Marlin guns. There's no illusion that Marlin is Marlin. The folks at Rem Arms haven't been nearly as transparent and it's virtually impossible if shopping online to tell if a 700 is brand new or new old stock... which is exactly how I think they want it.
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/26/23
I wasn’t bashing Rem Arms. Just making a point that Remington doesn’t exist. I just think it’s laughable that they’re promoting this cartridge as something new and exciting from Remington when it’s actually Federal (Vista) calling the shots.

In fact, Rem Arms needs our support. They’re a privately owned company. I don’t feel as they should be required to do warranty work either. That statement above was made to validate the point that Remington won’t support the cartridge because there is no Remington.
Posted By: SKane Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/26/23

Darik – all fair enough and I agree with you. But they still bought and kept the Remington brand, and, rightly so – there's a lot of equity in the name.
But some of the past support decisions made by Remington is/are still brand baggage that will follow the name until they prove otherwise.

I'm pleased to see some of the long-overdue changes to legacy models.
Posted By: Dave_Spn Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/27/23
Ironically, Henry Arms (Privately owned) are the ones teaming with Remington (read Vista) concerning the introduction of the 360 Buckhammer.

Buying a Henry so chambered will help a private business, but buying ammo from Remington will hurt private business.

I'm going to need a scorecard, but I do certainly agree in supporting private companies.
Posted By: Swamplord Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/27/23
Interesting to see folks getting wound up about buying stuff from the new Remington (Vista)

yet bend over and take it balls deep from Steve "No Jab, no job) wHorenady

y'know, the corksucker that sold his fkn soul in a deal with the devil (USGOV) to keep his contracts and was allowed to flood the stores with his products while other mfgs were ordered to stand down
Posted By: PeeDeeRiver Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/27/23
Originally Posted by Swamplord
Interesting to see folks getting wound up about buying stuff from the new Remington (Vista)

y'know, the corksucker that sold his fkn soul in a deal with the devil (USGOV) to keep his contracts and was allowed to flood the stores with his products while other mfgs were ordered to stand down

Was the big company that runs the LC plant not let in on that supposed deal? Their prices sure went up, while Horndays have remained quite low, comparatively.
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/27/23
Originally Posted by Swamplord

That’s not entirely accurate. Yes, Hornady’s decision was his to make. I didn’t agree with the no jab, no job stance.

The other manufacturers that shut down weren’t all forced either. It all depended on state laws. The manufacturer and retail sales of firearms and firearms accessories were deemed essential business during the pandemic. Several companies that could have been in operation weren’t because of fear of liability. Others never shut down.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/27/23
Yesterday I read in G&A that Vista will also be producing ammo under the Federal banner. In that same article, Boddington described taking some deer and a pig or two with a prototype Henry built on one of the old-style leverguns (no side-gate). Killed well, but that specimen was not very accurate with the “Remington” ammo he was provided.

Seems odd that the chose the Remington banner to introduce the new round. Maybe it’s tied to the name Buckhammer, which might be a trademark that went with the ammo line. Looks like that choice and the names of the new entities are causing some confusion. I would’ve called it the .360 Henry.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/27/23
Or called it the .35-40 Maynard which is what it is. But how many enlightened (unenlightened?) souls would have bought into a 140 year old cartridge as being "The Best New Thing"?
Posted By: Dave_Spn Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/27/23
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Or called it the .35-40 Maynard which is what it is. But how many enlightened (unenlightened?) souls would have bought into a 140 year old cartridge as being "The Best New Thing"?

You need to get laid.
Posted By: clockwork_7mm Re: 360 Buckhammer - 01/27/23
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
The old Remington would change the name 2-3 to make sure they botched the release. If Vista follows tradition there's still time for the 35-40, the 35 Express, and the .358 Bankruptcy. 😂😂😂😇😇😇😇
© 24hourcampfire