Home
Posted By: mjbgalt cz 550 american - 09/16/09
been wanting one for years and never bought one. ran into a hell of a deal on a new one today. can't afford it but the guy wants my browning gold 20 gauge in trade and he will give me $200 in credit on top of that. what do you guys think of these rifles? someone told me zastava makes actions for them. i say BS.

-Matt
Posted By: steffen Re: cz 550 american - 09/16/09
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
someone told me zastava makes actions for them. i say BS.

so do i, Ceska Zbrojovka make their own.
the safety and bolt shroud are different and the cz action just feels better.

if i ever buy a 9.3x62 it will be a cz550, too bad they don't make a 7lb 22" barreled 6.5x55
Posted By: passport Re: cz 550 american - 09/16/09
That BS, CZ is the largest small arm mfg in the world. I owned a 550 in 30-06 and that thing was accurate and good looking.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: cz 550 american - 09/16/09
Browning golds are awful nice and you might hate parting with it. Only you can say if it is worth it. I have a 550 in 270 and like it very much. Some don't like the set trigger and for the life of me I am stymied by that. They are fantastic at the range. I do think that new 550's are priced a little high and may find it hard competing with new Featherweights. Not saying one is better- just many might rifle purchasers may prefer something American for the price. The CZ's are very well made and old school stout, and include good rings and often really nice wood - though under some very tough finish that can hide it. If I had a complaint it would be that I wish the bolts were smoother -but that is the price for a mauser action I guess. The CZ is available in 6.5x55 -but with a 23.5" barrel. Talked Dad into one. It is a pussy cat to shoot. All come with decellerator recoil pads.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: cz 550 american - 09/16/09
ha ha . I got bleeped for that. Funny.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: cz 550 american - 09/16/09
i may not have to cough up the gold after all...

he is asking $495 for a new cz 550 american in .243...

cant pass that up!

-Matt
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: cz 550 american - 09/16/09
are these free floated? i couldn't tell on the one i was looking at. kinda had a heavier barrel.

i am thinking of re-doing the stock with oil, because the finish is very plain and dry looking.

i have been wanting one of these in exactly this configuration...glad i could put $100 on it and hold it.

this gunshop is way out of the way and no one knows its there, other than the Amish. the guy is amish...its funny to go to a gunshop that doesn't have lights smile old school...
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: cz 550 american - 09/17/09
at that price -no brainer get it. I think the short actions (243, 308) come with a detachable mag - at least that is how they were listed so at least some of them do. The barrel is free floated - but by all means look for contact. I did a little sanding on mine - then just used Minwax to seal it. Think long and hard about refinishing the stock - it will take a lot of effort and some time - though will probably be worth it as you can end up with a real beauty. Just want you to know before you decide to start. The factory finish has been described as gorilla snot, meaning it is just thick and difficult to remove. Karnis (on this sight) offered to do mine and I felt sorry for him later. The checkering will require a good bit for care to cleanly remove. So if you don't fear the work -go for it but be prepared to do more work than might normally be required. BTW -you will not find a softer shooting 243 anywhere. Keep us posted.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: cz 550 american - 09/18/09
i have a deposit on it. just have to decide if i am going to buy or trade.

i have loads worked up already from another .243 i owned. going to try the sierras first, the 60 grain hollowpoint and the 85 grain boattail hollowpoint. both have been sub-MOA in several .243's i have owned over the years. varget powder has also been good to me.

Posted By: bearstalker Re: cz 550 american - 09/18/09
They're porky, and balance just wasn't there for me when shouldering a CZ.
Posted By: verhoositz Re: cz 550 american - 09/18/09
My 9.3x62 'Merican shot 4 rnd practice groups under an inch in Speer 270's from the first time I went to the range with it 2 years ago. If I could get better control of my Operator errors I've shot many 3 rnd touching groups with a flyer sommers in the middle of the string.
Dug it out to start with some now discontinued 250gr NBT's - Nozzler swapped the BT's for AB's & upped the price bigtime! - the other day and got the same result. I never believed I could 2 or 3 in the same ragged hole before in this size caliber until this un came home with me. Just wish't I'da uh bought more of them before the Dollar was devalued against the Euro or whatever and jacked the price.
Only knock IMO on the short 308 length ammo is the lack of a short length receiver to match...
OBTW I NEED the Xtra weight of the old style 'Merican stock in big mouthed Mauser as the x62 shoves me around more than my factory tupperware stocked M70 300 Winnie in max loaded 180's that also has a Decelerator on it.
In a 243 or Swede a CZ 550 ought to be a pussycat for recoil. I saw a new style American last week and am looking for a 550 FS or American Swede to do a deal on right now in the Dallas/North Texas area.
Ron
Ron
Posted By: devnull Re: cz 550 american - 09/19/09
I have a CZ550 in .243 and it is an absolute joy to shoot....Not so much to carry as it's heavier than today's run of the mill .243s. It is an accurate rig and it all steel. Too bad they are as expensive as they are these days. I paid $490 for mine just a few short years ago.
Posted By: safariman Re: cz 550 american - 09/19/09
One of the best value's in hunting rifles out there, period. I have been packing one around in 416 Rigby for a long time and wrote about it and the mod's I did to it in African Hunter Magazine. I have reccomended this rifle, in this caliber, to hunting buddies and safari clients and all have been very happy with thier rifles. Accurate, terrific double set trigger, true and honest to gosh Mauser style controlled round feed fixed blade ejector, real blued steel, good walnut with good point style checkering, integral scope bases..... what's not to like? To me they feel good in the hands and just right for weight and balance.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: cz 550 american - 09/19/09
the new msrp is like $795 or something ridiculous like that.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: cz 550 american - 09/19/09
the damn dog knocked over my new tv. $700 up in smoke. so even though i need a tv i am going to try to still buy the rifle. maybe shoot the dog with it?
Posted By: tj3006 Re: cz 550 american - 09/19/09
I had a 550 american in .243.
Shot real well. But I sold it as I did not want to lug around an 8 lb .243.
I would love one in 9.3X62 or a 7mm Rem mag.
I would like to see them build one in .375 and 416 ruger.
I did,nt mind the set trigger on the .243 But I would change it out on a 9.3X62 or If I bought a dangerious game rifle.
Simplicity is what i want in a hunting rifle. Fewer working parts means less chance of one breaking.
Timney makes a trigger for the CZ 550...tj3006
Posted By: devnull Re: cz 550 american - 09/19/09
One other observation I'd like to to make about the CZ 550 is that the stock's LOP feels very long to me. I am 5'11" and fairly lanky and it feels longer than my Remingtons.
Posted By: USAFA71 Re: cz 550 american - 09/19/09
Now if they would just make them in a left-hand version, preferably in 6.5x55, I would go for it!
Posted By: Tonk Re: cz 550 american - 09/19/09
We now have 3 CZ rifles at the house and two of them are mine, one the wifes. I have a CZ-527 model in .222 Rem and my wife has a .223 caliber. They both shoot under 1/2 groups from the bench with factory Hornady ammo. I also have a CZ-550 that is as accurate as any hunting rifle I have in the safe or vault. One thing is for sure, you can't beat the set trigger for predator/varmint huntnig!!!
Posted By: safariman Re: cz 550 american - 09/19/09
Originally Posted by tj3006
I had a 550 american in .243.
Shot real well. But I sold it as I did not want to lug around an 8 lb .243.
I would love one in 9.3X62 or a 7mm Rem mag.
I would like to see them build one in .375 and 416 ruger.
I did,nt mind the set trigger on the .243 But I would change it out on a 9.3X62 or If I bought a dangerious game rifle.
Simplicity is what i want in a hunting rifle. Fewer working parts means less chance of one breaking.
Timney makes a trigger for the CZ 550...tj3006

That is one of the modifications I made to mine, along with a model 70 style safety (La Pour) and a few other upgrades. Agreed that a simple trigger is better than a complicated one on a DGR, and I want no part of a hot loaded 416 Rigby with a 4oz trigger! I built mine before Timney came out with their trigger so I had Ed LaPour retrofit a NECG trigger designed for a model 98 Mauser to it. Time consuming and expensive but at the time worth it to me. Several long and arduous dangerous game hunts and kills later I would do it again.

If one wanted one of these in 375 Ruger, buying one in 300WM or 338WM and then having the original barrel re-bored and re-chambered would be a good route but no flies on a Ruger African other than the safety lever.

Posted By: 340boy Re: cz 550 american - 09/19/09
I am very pleased with my CZ550 in 9.3X62.
The trigger is only fair and the action was a bit rough out of the box(it has smoothed out considerably after about 300rds fired)

Not a bad rifle, and shoots very small groups-especially for a big-bore.
Posted By: Puddle Re: cz 550 american - 09/19/09
Originally Posted by safariman
One of the best value's in hunting rifles out there, period. I have been packing one around in 416 Rigby for a long time and wrote about it and the mod's I did to it in African Hunter Magazine. I have reccomended this rifle, in this caliber, to hunting buddies and safari clients and all have been very happy with thier rifles. Accurate, terrific double set trigger, true and honest to gosh Mauser style controlled round feed fixed blade ejector, real blued steel, good walnut with good point style checkering, integral scope bases..... what's not to like? To me they feel good in the hands and just right for weight and balance.

++1

I looked over a couple of used 'old' model 550 Americans comparing them to the 'new' 550 American that has the reworked stock. The newer version has a much slimmer, trimmer stock that is just as handy as anything I've hunted with from Winchester, Remmy, or Ruger (pre-Hawkeye). I ordered one in 6.5 Swede and have been a happy camper.

P.S. - the included scope rings are monstrosities and should be swapped out - I went with Talleys.
Posted By: oldman1942 Re: cz 550 american - 09/19/09
CZs are the best Mausers made today that a working man can afford.
They are a bit heavy, actions could be smoother, accuracy is usually about 1.5 MOA and the factory rings are too high (S&K scope mounts in PA has the cure).
Would I buy one for a Varmint rifle? No, I'd get a 700 or Savage.
But for a serious big game rifle (30-06 to 505 Gibbs) they are the go to rifle as, like all good Mausers, they always work.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: cz 550 american - 09/21/09
I took off Friday as I need to burn some days and Thursday was my birthday. I had been studying my seating depths and took a new hot (for me) load to the range which shot very well. I decided to shoot up all prior reloads so as to have only one load recipe loaded. figures... I found my last load for the 140 grainers was even more accurate than this one. I picked up my targets but had two 130 grainers left in the carrier. There was a piece of paper about twice the size of a postage stamp downrange so I took a shot and placed one right along side it. Last shot was abuot 1/4 over and dead center on it. So both my original loads, the one for the 130 and the one for the 140 shot moa and to the same poi. The hot load was centered and consistent but higher. Love the CZ. Oh - and I finally found primers - even the match grade ones.
Posted By: husqvarna Re: cz 550 american - 09/21/09
My 550FS 9.3X62 is my current favorite hunting rifle. It is very accurate and handles well. CZ rings are too high, get Warnes or Talleys instead.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: cz 550 american - 09/21/09
mine didnt come with rings. its a "minnesota" model according to the manual, and that one didn't have the slots for cz rings on the receiver.

oh well i still only paid $495 for the rifle and $35 for mounts and rings and $139 for the bushnell lagend 2-7x33.

very nice setup.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: cz 550 american - 09/22/09
the stupid bolt hits the scope...grr...guess i am buying higher ones or just filing it down a tad...

going to the range tomorrow...letcha know how it goes
Posted By: safariman Re: cz 550 american - 09/22/09
Please show us a picture after you gring on the scope a bit smile
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: cz 550 american - 09/22/09
lol i am going to use sandpaper (for metal) on the bolt and smooth it down...basically the thickness of a piece of paper.

then reblue.

no big deal.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: cz 550 american - 09/23/09
wow do i feel dumb.

AFTER i touched the bolt up with the file i thought "duh, i could just put tape at the bottom of the rings and shim them upward that way.

so now i have to reblue the bolt but at least it clears now.]

wow do i feel dumb.
Posted By: safariman Re: cz 550 american - 09/23/09
You should see some of the gunsmithing goofs I have done. Ruined a good 22lr revolver by re chambering to 22 Mag then realizing AFTER the fact that the cylinder was too short for the WMR cartridges! Load it, OK, try to cock it or otherwise get the cylinder to turn? Not happenin.

Congrats on your CZ find. You have a good one there.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: cz 550 american - 09/24/09
shot it a bit at the range tonight, was in a hurry cuz it was getting dark.

got it close, at 50 yards.

now time for load development...my favorite...:)
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: cz 550 american - 09/24/09
this barrel is ridiculous. damn, its heavy and 24" long.

for a .243 its wayyyy too heavy and cumbersome. so its getting chopped back 2", fluted, and a smalled recoil pad added, since this huge thick one makes the length of pull too much for me, and i am a big guy...can't imagine short guys with short arms tryin this thing.

also, the crown...have seen better ones on BB guns. so having that redone when the barrel gets chopped...recessed target crown.

i THINK, with that stuff done, it will be perfect.

as it is, for a factory rifle, its great. just needs tweaked into perfection.
Posted By: 340boy Re: cz 550 american - 09/24/09
mjb,
sounds like you have a keeper, despite the tweaks it needs.

I know I sure like my CZ550 in 9.3X62, and mine is the earlier one, before they slimmed down the stock some.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: cz 550 american - 10/02/09
anyone make a good synthetic stock for these?

Posted By: Redhat Re: cz 550 american - 10/02/09
Try McMillan
anyone make a synthetic stock that is reasonably priced lol
You gonna do all that work and put in in a cheap stock??? Call CZ USA and maybe they can sell you one of theirs.
no but i refuse to spend insane amounts of money on a damn plastic stock that cost $19 to make.

Posted By: safariman Re: cz 550 american - 10/02/09
Too nice of a gun to put it in tupperware, expensive or not. If you got the heavy barrel version it was intended to be a varmint rifle more than a packing around deer gun, though it could serve that purpose quite well. You could have the barrel fluted, have a bit of wood removed from the buttstock area or just enjoy it as is. Not going hog wild on a scope that can see the rings of Saturn will go a long ways toward keeping the gun a reasonable hunting wieght. It will probably shoot extremely well. My CZ in 416 Rigby wieghs nearly 12 lbs with scope sling and ammo and I have carried and used it a lot. It is the rifle in the avatar to the left and was in my hands for 8 days before we got this Ele to sit still for a picture smile
Posted By: DMW Re: cz 550 american - 10/02/09
CZ-USA sells a kevlar stock for the 550 standard actions, but it's not cheap...something in the range of $400. Not sure who makes it for CZ, but i am guessing HS Precision, considereing they did the kevlar stock for the 527 & 550 varmint series rifles.

McMillan doesn't make a stock for the standard 550 action, all they have listed are the AHR & Express, which use magnum actions.

I don't know of any other company that offers synthetic stocks for the 550. I've been looking for one myself. I email hogue a while back asking if they had any plans to...i got a firm "No.". It's a shame because i would love one of their overmolded stocks for my 550 American.

Also of note, is that CZ doens't offer the 550 in a "short" action. Rifles chambered in cartidges based off the .308 case use detachable magazines to get over any possible feeding issues from the shorter case in a standard length action.

DW
DMW,

According to the McMillan web site, they do make one for the CZ550. Located under "Hunting and Sport" then select "additional stocks". It's about 4th from the bottom.
Posted By: safariman Re: cz 550 american - 10/02/09
Contributing to the delinquency of another rifleman, I see. Shame...shame.... shame.....

The CZ stock looks and works GREAT!
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: cz 550 american - 10/03/09
yeah i do like the wood but the finish is horrid.

the serial is in the A0900 range, so maybe this is a very early one.
Posted By: Redhat Re: cz 550 american - 10/03/09
Mine is plain as dirt but it shoots so good I don't want to mess with it. There used to be some posts on here where a guy actually took all the finish off his and underneath it was quite a good looking stock. His handle was 7X57mm Mauser
its a very solid rifle, well made.

i like the fact that nothing is plastic or cheap-looking.

i think i will lighten it where i can and leave it be.

i can't get the trigger light enough. i got all creep out, but the weight is still too much. maybe it needs stoned? i don't know enough about this trigger to do it. i can with a remington or winchester...but?

Posted By: safariman Re: cz 550 american - 10/03/09
Have you used the set feature? Push the trigger forward until you hear it click, THEN tell us what you think of the trigger pull! That feature is adjustable as well.

Try re finishing the stock as has been suggested and maybe fluting the barrel but I would probably stop at the stock re finish as I prefer a heavy barrel.

Have you shot it for group at 100 yards yet?
yeah i did try the set trigger and i just don't like it yet....can't get used to it.

this one is so light it scares me lol

once i use it more i will probably grow to like it for targets.

-Matt
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: cz 550 american - 10/03/09
All it took was about four shots with the set trigger for me to go from "Holy cow I am going to kill someone with this thing" to "holy cow I love this thing". BTW- I am short too but my CZ shooting is done sitting with a rest and gives no problems. My scope has great eye relief. Its regular trigger pull is about perfect for a hunting rig too.
short? i am confused.
oh. you meant because of the length of pull i mentioned.

yeah it does seem long...my custom mauser is shorter than average though, so maybe that's why this feels long.

Posted By: devnull Re: cz 550 american - 10/03/09
I don't like the set trigger on mine due to the way it feels when set. It feels like the lock time increases...That's the best way I can explain it. I never use it.
Posted By: safariman Re: cz 550 american - 10/03/09
Timney makes a good replacement trigger for this, I had a NECG trigger put on mine, but it was and is a more expensive option than is needed on a normal rifle.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: cz 550 american - 10/04/09
ok guys....freefloated this and bedded it. the scope is good to go because i put it on myself. the trigger is tuned. my bench technique is fine with my other rifles.

i have tried 2 bullets and 3 powders.

fliers and crappy groups abound.

this thing better shape up, because i don't have a lot of time this time of year to get it ready before i need to use it.

ideas?

-Matt
Posted By: safariman Re: cz 550 american - 10/04/09
What kind of scope?

How much open space around the barrel in the freefloated area? Have you tried slipping a piece of heavy paper under it and making sure the paper does not touch anywhere along the barrel channel?

Have you tried Barnes TTSX's yet? Load them kinda deep and give them a go, then report back.
Posted By: Qc_BearHunter Re: cz 550 american - 10/04/09
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
ok guys....freefloated this and bedded it. the scope is good to go because i put it on myself. the trigger is tuned. my bench technique is fine with my other rifles.

i have tried 2 bullets and 3 powders.

fliers and crappy groups abound.

this thing better shape up, because i don't have a lot of time this time of year to get it ready before i need to use it.

ideas?

-Matt

I had a 308 CZ 550 Varmint. Bought this gun because some people told me that they were very accurate. I never accomplish nothing under .750" three shot group with regularity. Yes, sometimes I could get a .400 3-shots or a .500 5 shots but these were what I would call "lucky" groups. most were around .750 to 1". (I can do better than that with my two slim Win 70 Featherweights in 308 and 270).

I made a trade with a friend who had a Savage VLP same caliber. He wanted a CZ and I wanted a VLP. I by far prefer the VLP. Much less fussy about what to feed it.

It was my first and probably last CZ.

Posted By: mjbgalt Re: cz 550 american - 10/04/09
scope is a bushnell legend 2-7x32.

the barrel is free of touching the stock.

i am not buying expensive bullets i wont use in ohio, just to make a gun shoot that so far is not impressing me.

i may be looking to trade this for something if i can't make it shoot. the gun is quality, steel everything. it is controlled round feed and the bluing is great.

but if it doesnt shoot the bullets i wanna use, with powder i have used in 6 other .243's and worked just fine...

all the nice stuff means nothing. kinda like the last 2 rugers i bought.

Posted By: kenjs1 Re: cz 550 american - 10/05/09
hmmm - Doesn't this kind of sounds like a classic problem with the crown? ( oh, and yes- I was talking about l.o.p. earlier). Please keep us informed - and good luck. Really hope you get it ironed out. Feels great to finally solve a rifle - but at some point one has to determine his allotment of time and energy.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: cz 550 american - 10/05/09
thought of the crown. but thats where my interest ends.

i paid for the damn thing as if it were 100% fine, and ended up having to bed and free float it and buy rings that should have come with it.

i am not going to throw more money at a relatively expensive rifle that should be right to start with.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: cz 550 american - 10/06/09
certainly understand. Just hate you losing the effort you already put forth on her. What about touching it up yourself? Won't cost anything really and shouldn't lower the resale value. I fixed a 700 that way when I had come to a similar impasse. Took it to a smith who obviously botched it. Figured I had nothing to lose if I tried it myself - guessing next step was to chop an inch off it anyway. So I bought a little Dremel grinding ball and put it in a cordless drill. Put a few drops of oil on the crown and just touched it a few times at low rpms. I doubt I had 3 seconds of contact. No one was more surprised when the rifle began to group group with consistency. I won't say it instantly turned sub moa but the fliers stopped and group size cut in half. Afterwards I bedded and did some other tweaks but it proved the rifle could shoot.
© 24hourcampfire