-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am very pleased with my CZ550 in 9.3X62.
The trigger is only fair and the action was a bit rough out of the box(it has smoothed out considerably after about 300rds fired)

Not a bad rifle, and shoots very small groups-especially for a big-bore.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by safariman
One of the best value's in hunting rifles out there, period. I have been packing one around in 416 Rigby for a long time and wrote about it and the mod's I did to it in African Hunter Magazine. I have reccomended this rifle, in this caliber, to hunting buddies and safari clients and all have been very happy with thier rifles. Accurate, terrific double set trigger, true and honest to gosh Mauser style controlled round feed fixed blade ejector, real blued steel, good walnut with good point style checkering, integral scope bases..... what's not to like? To me they feel good in the hands and just right for weight and balance.

++1

I looked over a couple of used 'old' model 550 Americans comparing them to the 'new' 550 American that has the reworked stock. The newer version has a much slimmer, trimmer stock that is just as handy as anything I've hunted with from Winchester, Remmy, or Ruger (pre-Hawkeye). I ordered one in 6.5 Swede and have been a happy camper.

P.S. - the included scope rings are monstrosities and should be swapped out - I went with Talleys.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
CZs are the best Mausers made today that a working man can afford.
They are a bit heavy, actions could be smoother, accuracy is usually about 1.5 MOA and the factory rings are too high (S&K scope mounts in PA has the cure).
Would I buy one for a Varmint rifle? No, I'd get a 700 or Savage.
But for a serious big game rifle (30-06 to 505 Gibbs) they are the go to rifle as, like all good Mausers, they always work.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I took off Friday as I need to burn some days and Thursday was my birthday. I had been studying my seating depths and took a new hot (for me) load to the range which shot very well. I decided to shoot up all prior reloads so as to have only one load recipe loaded. figures... I found my last load for the 140 grainers was even more accurate than this one. I picked up my targets but had two 130 grainers left in the carrier. There was a piece of paper about twice the size of a postage stamp downrange so I took a shot and placed one right along side it. Last shot was abuot 1/4 over and dead center on it. So both my original loads, the one for the 130 and the one for the 140 shot moa and to the same poi. The hot load was centered and consistent but higher. Love the CZ. Oh - and I finally found primers - even the match grade ones.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My 550FS 9.3X62 is my current favorite hunting rifle. It is very accurate and handles well. CZ rings are too high, get Warnes or Talleys instead.

IC B2

M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
mine didnt come with rings. its a "minnesota" model according to the manual, and that one didn't have the slots for cz rings on the receiver.

oh well i still only paid $495 for the rifle and $35 for mounts and rings and $139 for the bushnell lagend 2-7x33.

very nice setup.

Last edited by mjbgalt; 09/21/09.
M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
the stupid bolt hits the scope...grr...guess i am buying higher ones or just filing it down a tad...

going to the range tomorrow...letcha know how it goes

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Please show us a picture after you gring on the scope a bit smile

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
lol i am going to use sandpaper (for metal) on the bolt and smooth it down...basically the thickness of a piece of paper.

then reblue.

no big deal.

M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
wow do i feel dumb.

AFTER i touched the bolt up with the file i thought "duh, i could just put tape at the bottom of the rings and shim them upward that way.

so now i have to reblue the bolt but at least it clears now.]

wow do i feel dumb.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You should see some of the gunsmithing goofs I have done. Ruined a good 22lr revolver by re chambering to 22 Mag then realizing AFTER the fact that the cylinder was too short for the WMR cartridges! Load it, OK, try to cock it or otherwise get the cylinder to turn? Not happenin.

Congrats on your CZ find. You have a good one there.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
shot it a bit at the range tonight, was in a hurry cuz it was getting dark.

got it close, at 50 yards.

now time for load development...my favorite...:)

M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
this barrel is ridiculous. damn, its heavy and 24" long.

for a .243 its wayyyy too heavy and cumbersome. so its getting chopped back 2", fluted, and a smalled recoil pad added, since this huge thick one makes the length of pull too much for me, and i am a big guy...can't imagine short guys with short arms tryin this thing.

also, the crown...have seen better ones on BB guns. so having that redone when the barrel gets chopped...recessed target crown.

i THINK, with that stuff done, it will be perfect.

as it is, for a factory rifle, its great. just needs tweaked into perfection.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
mjb,
sounds like you have a keeper, despite the tweaks it needs.

I know I sure like my CZ550 in 9.3X62, and mine is the earlier one, before they slimmed down the stock some.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
anyone make a good synthetic stock for these?

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Try McMillan

M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
anyone make a synthetic stock that is reasonably priced lol

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
You gonna do all that work and put in in a cheap stock??? Call CZ USA and maybe they can sell you one of theirs.

M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
no but i refuse to spend insane amounts of money on a damn plastic stock that cost $19 to make.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Too nice of a gun to put it in tupperware, expensive or not. If you got the heavy barrel version it was intended to be a varmint rifle more than a packing around deer gun, though it could serve that purpose quite well. You could have the barrel fluted, have a bit of wood removed from the buttstock area or just enjoy it as is. Not going hog wild on a scope that can see the rings of Saturn will go a long ways toward keeping the gun a reasonable hunting wieght. It will probably shoot extremely well. My CZ in 416 Rigby wieghs nearly 12 lbs with scope sling and ammo and I have carried and used it a lot. It is the rifle in the avatar to the left and was in my hands for 8 days before we got this Ele to sit still for a picture smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

222 members (16penny, 204guy, 1_deuce, 280Ackleyrized, 2ndwind, 260Remguy, 32 invisible), 2,277 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,621
Posts18,474,021
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.