Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
DMW Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
CZ-USA sells a kevlar stock for the 550 standard actions, but it's not cheap...something in the range of $400. Not sure who makes it for CZ, but i am guessing HS Precision, considereing they did the kevlar stock for the 527 & 550 varmint series rifles.

McMillan doesn't make a stock for the standard 550 action, all they have listed are the AHR & Express, which use magnum actions.

I don't know of any other company that offers synthetic stocks for the 550. I've been looking for one myself. I email hogue a while back asking if they had any plans to...i got a firm "No.". It's a shame because i would love one of their overmolded stocks for my 550 American.

Also of note, is that CZ doens't offer the 550 in a "short" action. Rifles chambered in cartidges based off the .308 case use detachable magazines to get over any possible feeding issues from the shorter case in a standard length action.

DW

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
DMW,

According to the McMillan web site, they do make one for the CZ550. Located under "Hunting and Sport" then select "additional stocks". It's about 4th from the bottom.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Contributing to the delinquency of another rifleman, I see. Shame...shame.... shame.....

The CZ stock looks and works GREAT!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
yeah i do like the wood but the finish is horrid.

the serial is in the A0900 range, so maybe this is a very early one.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Mine is plain as dirt but it shoots so good I don't want to mess with it. There used to be some posts on here where a guy actually took all the finish off his and underneath it was quite a good looking stock. His handle was 7X57mm Mauser

Last edited by Redhat; 10/02/09.
IC B2

M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
its a very solid rifle, well made.

i like the fact that nothing is plastic or cheap-looking.

i think i will lighten it where i can and leave it be.

i can't get the trigger light enough. i got all creep out, but the weight is still too much. maybe it needs stoned? i don't know enough about this trigger to do it. i can with a remington or winchester...but?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have you used the set feature? Push the trigger forward until you hear it click, THEN tell us what you think of the trigger pull! That feature is adjustable as well.

Try re finishing the stock as has been suggested and maybe fluting the barrel but I would probably stop at the stock re finish as I prefer a heavy barrel.

Have you shot it for group at 100 yards yet?

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
yeah i did try the set trigger and i just don't like it yet....can't get used to it.

this one is so light it scares me lol

once i use it more i will probably grow to like it for targets.

-Matt

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All it took was about four shots with the set trigger for me to go from "Holy cow I am going to kill someone with this thing" to "holy cow I love this thing". BTW- I am short too but my CZ shooting is done sitting with a rest and gives no problems. My scope has great eye relief. Its regular trigger pull is about perfect for a hunting rig too.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
short? i am confused.

IC B3

M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
oh. you meant because of the length of pull i mentioned.

yeah it does seem long...my custom mauser is shorter than average though, so maybe that's why this feels long.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I don't like the set trigger on mine due to the way it feels when set. It feels like the lock time increases...That's the best way I can explain it. I never use it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Timney makes a good replacement trigger for this, I had a NECG trigger put on mine, but it was and is a more expensive option than is needed on a normal rifle.

M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
ok guys....freefloated this and bedded it. the scope is good to go because i put it on myself. the trigger is tuned. my bench technique is fine with my other rifles.

i have tried 2 bullets and 3 powders.

fliers and crappy groups abound.

this thing better shape up, because i don't have a lot of time this time of year to get it ready before i need to use it.

ideas?

-Matt

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What kind of scope?

How much open space around the barrel in the freefloated area? Have you tried slipping a piece of heavy paper under it and making sure the paper does not touch anywhere along the barrel channel?

Have you tried Barnes TTSX's yet? Load them kinda deep and give them a go, then report back.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
ok guys....freefloated this and bedded it. the scope is good to go because i put it on myself. the trigger is tuned. my bench technique is fine with my other rifles.

i have tried 2 bullets and 3 powders.

fliers and crappy groups abound.

this thing better shape up, because i don't have a lot of time this time of year to get it ready before i need to use it.

ideas?

-Matt

I had a 308 CZ 550 Varmint. Bought this gun because some people told me that they were very accurate. I never accomplish nothing under .750" three shot group with regularity. Yes, sometimes I could get a .400 3-shots or a .500 5 shots but these were what I would call "lucky" groups. most were around .750 to 1". (I can do better than that with my two slim Win 70 Featherweights in 308 and 270).

I made a trade with a friend who had a Savage VLP same caliber. He wanted a CZ and I wanted a VLP. I by far prefer the VLP. Much less fussy about what to feed it.

It was my first and probably last CZ.

[Linked Image]
M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
scope is a bushnell legend 2-7x32.

the barrel is free of touching the stock.

i am not buying expensive bullets i wont use in ohio, just to make a gun shoot that so far is not impressing me.

i may be looking to trade this for something if i can't make it shoot. the gun is quality, steel everything. it is controlled round feed and the bluing is great.

but if it doesnt shoot the bullets i wanna use, with powder i have used in 6 other .243's and worked just fine...

all the nice stuff means nothing. kinda like the last 2 rugers i bought.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
hmmm - Doesn't this kind of sounds like a classic problem with the crown? ( oh, and yes- I was talking about l.o.p. earlier). Please keep us informed - and good luck. Really hope you get it ironed out. Feels great to finally solve a rifle - but at some point one has to determine his allotment of time and energy.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
thought of the crown. but thats where my interest ends.

i paid for the damn thing as if it were 100% fine, and ended up having to bed and free float it and buy rings that should have come with it.

i am not going to throw more money at a relatively expensive rifle that should be right to start with.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
certainly understand. Just hate you losing the effort you already put forth on her. What about touching it up yourself? Won't cost anything really and shouldn't lower the resale value. I fixed a 700 that way when I had come to a similar impasse. Took it to a smith who obviously botched it. Figured I had nothing to lose if I tried it myself - guessing next step was to chop an inch off it anyway. So I bought a little Dremel grinding ball and put it in a cordless drill. Put a few drops of oil on the crown and just touched it a few times at low rpms. I doubt I had 3 seconds of contact. No one was more surprised when the rifle began to group group with consistency. I won't say it instantly turned sub moa but the fliers stopped and group size cut in half. Afterwards I bedded and did some other tweaks but it proved the rifle could shoot.

. Confucius
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

214 members (16penny, 204guy, 1_deuce, 280Ackleyrized, 2ndwind, 260Remguy, 30 invisible), 2,263 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,621
Posts18,474,021
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.