Home
Here's a thought. If you were setting out to build a rifle as good as it could be built, with the expectation that it could be the last one you ever had, and wanted it to handle any big game hunting you might do in North America, what would it be? CRF or not? Lightweight or anvil weight? All of us want a rifle that weighs a pound or less, shoots to point of aim out to infinity, and kicks like a bull-barreled .22LR, but if you were to have only one rifle for the rest of your days, what would you need? Super reliable, supremely sturdy, and as accurate as possible are my criteria.

I have gotten the old idea of "beware the man with one gun" in my head, and can't get it out. Figured I'd share the misery and let you guys twist your minds up trying to come up with the perfect all-around rifle, too. Right now, I am leaning toward a CRF action, with sporter weight barrel, synthetic stock, iron sights and fixed power scope. I want reliability first, shootability a close second, and the sturdiest setup I can build. Weight comes dead last, behind accuracy, which needs to be 1.5moa or less. I'd still like to keep the weight under 8.5 lbs. all up, if possible. What would you do? Caliber, action, barrel, stock, scope? What's your idea of the ultimate all-around hunting rifle for this continent?
Kimber Montana 84L in 30-06. End of story.
One of three choices:

Marlin 1895GBL with some custom work 45/70. This is on my short list of rifles to buy.

Currently at the smith: Remington ADL in 30-06 in a take off stock from a Ti has the iron sights on it and is being bedded. It will wear a leupold FXII 6x with Post/duplex in a set of talleys or Warne QR.

Third choice is a BLR in 358 wearing a VX3 2.5x8x36 again in some sort of QR. I really want this rifle, but it will be a while before funds allow for that one.

The first two on my list could do it all with no problem with no worry on reliability. The BLR might not be the best one rifle choice, but its one I'd sure like to have.
imo, any decent bolt 30-06 would work (ditto the 7remmag).
If I had to go back to one factory rifle, I would go back to the one that I started with: a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in .30-06. These days, it would probably be the Extreme Weather version. If I were doing a build, it would be a Model 70 action, Featherweight contour barrel, cerakoted, in a McMillan Edge classic stock. FWIW...
encore, light weight, packable, accurate, reliable, affordable, and can carry an extra barrel if needed.
m70 CRF, McMillan edge stock, 22" barrel with sights, fairly light contour, Cerkoted, Talley QDs I might do 300wsm but about any cartridge between 7mag and 338wm would do fine. Scope wise maybe a 2.5-8 or 3.5-10 VX3 withe B&C reticle.
M70 EW in .30-06
Good Walnut, polished blue, maybe a 7x57? I like classics, any flavor would really work for me.
Something stainless in a McMillan.
My G33/40, in my old Brown or an Edge, with a Lilja #2 cut to 23" on it, Talley's, Uncle Mikes mtn sling and a 2-8 Leo with dotz in it.

Dober
Mudhen, noknees, Blargon, we think somewhat alike.

As to the remington 700 folks, I have a Mountain Guide in .308, which would be almost perfect, were it not for the tiny extractor. For an all-around rifle, I like the CRF rifles as much for the beefy extractor as for the minute possibility that they might be needed during a rough-and-tumble with an angry carnivore. In a rifle that I intend to have as an only rifle in remote areas and over a lifetime, parts failure is to be avoided at all costs. The simple, open trigger mechanism of the Model 70 and Mauser actions, as well as that giant claw extractor, go a long way toward this goal. Less parts to break, and what parts there are being designed to be tough and not give the elements or dirt any way to cause damage is important. For this reason, I personally do not like the 700 with its small extractor and closed trigger mechanism(for this job). By the same token, I want follow-up shot capability, so the single-shots, as nice as they are, are out for me.
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
My G33/40, in my old Brown or an Edge, with a Lilja #2 cut to 23" on it, Talley's, Uncle Mikes mtn sling and a 2-8 Leo with dotz in it.

Dober

Dober, I notice there's no reference to a chambering... not surprising as it's the rifleman, not the cartridge, that makes the difference.
Tikka Lam/SS, or Sako Grey Wolf
7MM Rem Mag
Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40MC
I already have it. It is an Interarms Mark X with a 26" barrel chambered in .375 H&H. Wears a 3X9 Leupold & a Bell & Carlson stock. Pobably goes 10-10.5 lbs. The only thing I would change on this rifle is getting it sooner.
More of the same here. I would take my pet Pre-64 M70 fwt 30-06 and put it in a Hunter's EDGE. On top a VX-3 2.5-8 with B&C reticle in low rings. To do this I would have the bolt bent down and reblued so it would clear the ocular.

Load up some 150TSX's to 2950 or 165TSX's to 2875 and I'm good to go.
M70 CRF stainless action fitted with 24 inch stainless barrel of medium contour. Cerakoted matte black on all parts that would normally be blued. NECG barrel band front sight with Talley bases with built-in rear aperture on rear mount. QD Talley steel rings. Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36 with standard duplex. All in an olive McMillan Edge stock.

Caliber: 338 Winchester Magnum.
For me, it'd be a M70 pre-64 or classic in a McMillan, chambered in 300 Wby. That round is just very versatile. Can load down to '06 velocity with ease and push to beast level without breaking a sweat. Plenty, but not too much for everything. I'd want it to come in around 8lbs. flat.

David
Mine is in the gun safe.
Kimber Montana in 300 WsM
Leupold 1.75x6 in talley lightweight rings
Barnes TSX 200 gr at 2750 fps
I could use this rig the rest of my hunting career here in AK.
Pre 64 M70 FW 30/06.

Yep.....
Where the concept of the all around big game rifle becomes less ideal is when:

1. The terrain changes.
2. The distances change.
3. The quarry changes.
4. Finally I changed! Age and health dictated lighter guns for most use.

I have two that'll do just fine!!

Wood/Blue Remington 700 Mtn 30-06 Sprg w/Leupold VX-III 2.5x8x36

Kimber 84M Select Claro 308 Win w/Leupold VX-III 2.5x8x36
Originally Posted by 257Deland

Almost said that in a .257 Roberts, and for what I hunt 95% of the time, .257 Roberts is more than enough.
Originally Posted by Brad

Dober

Dober, I notice there's no reference to a chambering... not surprising as it's the rifleman, not the cartridge, that makes the difference.

Amen to that Mac, the round doesn't make that much diff to me when it comes to killiing.

Dober
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Pre 64 M70 FW 30/06.

Bob-if I didn't have my G33 the pre/fwt in an Edge, Talley, UN Mtn sling, and a leo with dotz is exactly what I'd run. Except most likely in 06 Improved.. wink

Dober
Dober I am with you and my first choice is really the improved :);but you get those damn bears in the mix,and ....well since I have only used a 375 on them (and even though I have former buds who used the 270 with success on the big bruins)I like that the 06 can use those 200-220 gr bullets,which is why I have to choose it,with that special purpose in mind..........but for everything else I would be comfy with the 270,30/06,and maybe bestest of all a 7 mag with 160-175 gr bullets.
I hear you Bob, and perhaps cause I've never seen them b4 I feel this way but I feel that I'd be just fine on the big boys with my 270 and the 160 Nozler. I could be way wrong but I'd shoot the first round on my terms and the first round would be fatal. Now if the bugger still decided he wanted a piece of me I feel confident that I'd place the next bullet CNS and end the discussion toot sweet.

The 280 and the Mashburn with 175 Noz semi's would work for me as well.

Right or wrong I feel very intimate with my G33 and feel comfy defending myself against all but a couple critters in the world which I have no desire to shoot.

But an 06 with 200's or 220's wouldn't hurt my feelers either.

In all my time with black bruins (a world of diff I know) I've only had to defend my skin once. Bruin came from 9' at me and fast and I shot him uder the chin with my clients 25/06. End of the discussion with said pissed of bruin right now...grin

Dober
I would use my .340 Wby Mag with 250 Nosler Partitions and be very happy!
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by 257Deland

Almost said that in a .257 Roberts, and for what I hunt 95% of the time, .257 Roberts is more than enough.

I've thought about selling the Kimber 308 and getting a Kimber Roberts, but already have four 257's. Why do I need five? Maybe I do need a fifth; wish they still made the Kimber Select Claro.

Amen to that Mac, the round doesn't make that much diff to me when it comes to killiing.

Dober

It's the man that makes the tool, not the tool that makes the man, eh?

To a point but it's far better to work smarter not harder. Driving 10 penny nails with a sledge or railroad spikes with a ball peen hammer is a fool's folly
Of course Scott, but we're talking about using common sense and reason here.

At the end of the day, anything from a 260 Rem to a 340 Wby makes a good one-gun-gun, and its effectiveness is more up to the operator than many on these forums that hand-wring over minutia would understand.

But you're a guy that understands this stuff more than most I think...
Yep, then I'll go back to my previous and recommend something stainless in a McMillan.
This idea and the thought of getting too complicated lately is what got me building the rifle i am building now. I have a 700 ADL in .270 win on a B&C Ti stock( picked up on the fire) and a new weaver K6 fixed power scope. So far the rifle weighs around six and a half pounds or so. Ive adjusted the trigger, free floated the barrel and might bed the action. I wanted to build one that is light, accurate and doesnt kick like a missouri mule. Pending the range test i think ive done it. And all for less than $600.
Originally Posted by countryboy73

I have gotten the old idea of "beware the man with one gun" in my head, and can't get it out.

I think nowadays I fear the man with one gun for a different reason. From the folks I've known and met, the man with one gun likely doesn't know how to use it very well and really isn't into rifles. And because he isn't into rifles very much, he also doesn't shoot very much. This is also the guy who will buy the wrong ammo for his gun because it is typically the cheapest. And if a man can only afford one rifle, he likely can't afford much ammo to shoot it and truly be proficient enough to be some sort of fearsome marksman.

That being said, I'm now down to one personal rifle for the moment, don't imagine that will last much longer though.
Stainless/synthetic Ruger M77 Mk II
Originally Posted by exbiologist

I have gotten the old idea of "beware the man with one gun" in my head, and can't get it out.

I think nowadays I fear the man with one gun for a different reason. From the folks I've known and met, the man with one gun likely doesn't know how to use it very well and really isn't into rifles. And because he isn't into rifles very much, he also doesn't shoot very much. This is also the guy who will buy the wrong ammo for his gun because it is typically the cheapest. And if a man can only afford one rifle, he likely can't afford much ammo to shoot it and truly be proficient enough to be some sort of fearsome marksman.

That being said, I'm now down to one personal rifle for the moment, don't imagine that will last much longer though.

I know plenty of old men that are quite handy with the one rifle they own. I believe there are some men out there that are just really practical and dont feel they need multiple rifles and usually get whatever job needs doing done with the one they got. For a long time i only had one rifle due to not being able to afford another and became quite proficient with it.
Bob, Brad and Mark, it's ironic that as you know I'm putting this rifle together as we speak. The Hunter's Edge should ship this week. And the only hard decision is whether to put the 270 or 30-06 P-64 fwt barreled action in it when it gets here. I probably won't know until I have it in hand.

What makes the decision tougher is knowing there is no wrong decision.
Absolutely no wrong decision... I know what you mean about a "tough decision"... I'm going with 270, but could as easily go 30-06.
stainless 30-06 with a kevlar stock, fixed 4X scope.
Have you guys noticed any advantage from one to another? I use nothing but .270 win and debate with my buddies that have '06s all the time.
if I could only have one rifle it would not be a Remington 700. I have owned many of them and never had a problem. But I just cannot wrap myself around the extracter . I would want a mauser type action.you can change the extracter without any tools so a replacement would be carried with the rifle. 30-06,308,or 223 caliber as the ammo is more avaible.JMO
Originally Posted by exbiologist

I think you are right, somewhat. I know a LOT of guys here in the midwest, who hunt with a 30-30 every year, or a 742 Remington in .243, because that's what they have. Some of them are still using the box of shells they bought five years ago, and most of them have long stories about tracking deer well after dark.

I, on the other hand, currently have, among others, a pre-war Model 70 in '06, a Remington Mountain Guide in .308, and a Marlin Guide Gun .45-70, plus a Model 70 Classic Featherweight in 6.5x55 that I just got. All of these get shot regularly, because I love to shoot. My interest here is in building yet another rifle, or modifying an existing one, to fit the one-gun profile as best as it can be done. Not because I am too cheap to own more than one rifle, but because I am looking to put together one that fits my vision of the ideal one-gun rifle. One that always does the job asked of it, whatever that might be, and makes you want to use it more than the rest. And for the record, I have not tracked a deer in better than 15 years, because I have not had to. Call it the result of shooting the rifle year round.
Originally Posted by podunkkennels
Have you guys noticed any advantage from one to another? I use nothing but .270 win and debate with my buddies that have '06s all the time.

Extremes notwithstanding, like the 30-06's ability to use 200TSX's or 200+ NP's, I think it is completely a mental exercise.

For open field deer and other long range stuff, the 270 shoots a bit flatter. But for either you still need to know how far it is, and know where to hold. That flatter trajectory with the 270 does give you a bit more margin for error if you don't use a rangefinder and some sort of aiming device like dots in a scope.

For larger stuff like moose and elk, I am more comfortable with the larger bore of the 30-06. But I know the 270 will do the job too. A good friend of mine uses my handloads in his 270 year after year to take moose. He rips a 150 Hornady through the ribs and watches them topple over.

Truthfully, the 30-06 makes me more comfortable due to the large population of grizzlies that live in this part of BC. Even the farm I hunt each fall for deer has a large sow (with two 2-year old cubs last year) that live in the woods and silos there. For those, especially three of those, larger is better.

Either way, pick the one that blows your hair back. Pick a good bullet and as a shady character on here sez, "Go forth and fill up an ark!"
I guess it would depend on how spendy I was. Right now I could live with the Blaser R-93 7mm RM very well and quite happy too. Ditto's for the Sako 75 in 338. But this is not the question. One Rifle cartridge for all of North America, Common sense would say something 30-06 and Winchester M-70 but common sense has nothing to do with either hunting or the rifles we like or think we like. So If I was really flush I would have D'Arcy Echol's build me a Legend in 300 Winchester Mag and call it a day, Put what ever scope he suggests. If I am not so flush, I would call up Mel Forbes and Have him build me a NULA Model 28 in 7mm Remington Mag and put a fixed 4x Ziess Conquest or spend a bit more for a S+B. Both would be very shootable. The legend would be heavier and so the recoil would be about the same with the NULA. These sort of questions live on the internet for some reason, I never really gave it much though in the era before windows 95 and Compuserve at 2.50 an hour. Now it seems that we have this sort of question on a regular basis. Oh well its spring and there is a lot of boardom.
North America is a large continent. I would feel comfortable with my .300WBY on everything from prairie dogs to AK brown bears. I have a farmer buddy that has shot a gazillion KS coyotes with one in a pre-64 mod 70 out to 7-800yds.

I dreamed one time about only having one rifle. It turned out to be a nightmare!
A stainless Sako chambered for 300 Win mag.
A FN commercial Mauser action cradled in a laminate stock, chambered in 30-06. It would be topped with a wide view Redfield 3x9 and a set of back up irons.

When it comes to cartridges; I am a firm believer that it all starts with the 30-06 as the perfect compromise and then moves up or down to ideally fit conditions and game.

You just can't go wrong by starting with the 30-06 and then learning how to hunt and shoot. That wouldn't feed our addiction,now would it?
338 Winchester (remember all of NA). stainless synthetic with 4X Schmidt & Bender German #4 in Weaver steel mounts. (Yes the old bulletproof ones). Steel white line front sight and NEGC peep (fits weaver base) in trap butt.

Tell me what it won't handle?
Originally Posted by oldman1942
Tell me what it won't handle?

No question it will work as well as about 50 other combinations. wink
[Linked Image] [/img]
One rifle???

Idiocy in the extreme! wink

But I have killed more animals with a Tikka/Ithaca M65/LSA65 chambered in 30-06 in the last 35 years than any other rifle I own, other than a 22LR.
I generally like to match the caliber to the game, and I hope lightning doesn't strike me for saying this, but I think if I never buy another rifle, I already have good enough spread of calibers in my safe to have one matched to every game animal and season in North America.

But to answer the question of this thread, if I had to pick one rifle for all animals in North America, varmints to brown bear, close in the dark timber or on the next ridge, I would grab my .300 Weatherby with it's 4-12x Leupold.
Rick, where I hunt here in the Yellowstone region we have an abundance of grizzlies. I've never been especially concerned about them, despite cutting their fresh tracks year in and year out. I'm convinced a 270 with a good bullet would be no better or worse than a good bullet from a 30-06. But I tend to like heavy-for-caliber bullets and would run 150 partitions in the 270 or 180's in the 30-06.

Either is ideal as a one-rifle-rifle no doubt. On a given day, I could do either one. The 270 kicks less and in a light rifle like the Kimber MT 84L that's not exactly a bad thing.
my vote would be a .35 whelen built on a mauser action with a 25 inch stainless steel barrel bedded into an all weather synthetic stock
I like da .270 as well
Absolutely no wrong decision... I know what you mean about a "tough decision"... I'm going with 270, but could as easily go 30-06.

Thinkin' a guy should eventually get both and then be saved a good deal of torment and anguish....till it comes time to go hunting when you can only carry one LOL!
Ruger MKII stainless synthetic 30-06 could do it all, on the cheap.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Something stainless in a McMillan.

I hate you a little less.

Thinkin' a guy should eventually get both and then be saved a good deal of torment and anguish....till it comes time to go hunting when you can only carry one LOL!

Hah! True...
I enjoy seeing the .270 get so much love. I may never get to test mine on grizzly but so far its handled the biggest and baddest floridas got to offer, Ive rolled up plenty of big hogs with mine and a hornady 140 gr interlock. It definitely aint no joke.
A good 30-06 is all it takes to make this simple man happy.

.... all the other rifles in the safe are just for... uh... more happiness?

....better get used to just one because by the time these socialists in Congress and the White House get done,you'll be lucky if you have that......

We just turned a corner in a very bad direction.Not sorry for hijacking this thread.
They are traitors to the people who work or worked for a living. They are traitors to the people who produce in this country and a friend to every deadbeat, drug addict, illegal alien, or failure to graduate from high school that every lived.
I guess I need to buy my one rifle as well a bolt action 30-06
One rifle?

A Cooper Model 52 chambered in 30-06 and topped with a Leupold 6x42 scope.

I'd saved a lot of money if I'd done that first instead of amassing a collection of other rifles, and I'd probably be a better marksman too.
Tikka or Vanguard in 300 WSM
Tikka T3 Lite stainless in .308 or .270 or 30-06. Top it with something along the lnes of a 4.5-14 Leupold with turrets.

Throw in a handfull of 5 round varmint magazines and I would be happy as a clam.

In fact I did just that with a .308 chopped to 20"s. The scope is a Nightforce though.
Remington LTR in 308.
Remington (old style) 700 TI in .308
....better get used to just one because by the time these socialists in Congress and the White House get done,you'll be lucky if you have that......

We just turned a corner in a very bad direction.Not sorry for hijacking this thread.

My "one rifle" rifle will be the rifle I pick up to run to the hills with after all the others are broken or out of ammo. And that will be WAY down the road. Hear that, uncle? Believe it. I have said for years that if a blood uncle treated me like Uncle Sugar does, I'd kill the SOB. Even old Sugar is pushing his luck these days.
Well, since it's Just One-

Action: Bolt- M70, Wby MkV or Vanguard
Weight: 8.75-9 lb, all up
Caliber: fast .30- candidates are .300 Wby, .300 Jarrett, etc.
Barrel: Pac-Nor Super Match grade, stainless, #2 contour, twist optimized for 180 gr. bullets
Accuracy: less than 1 MOA- if this rifle is to be able to handle anything, it includes a rare 400+ yard shot or several, in its lifetime.
Stock: Synthetic, either McMillan or Bansner
Trigger: factory stock pre'64 M70 Win, or Wby MkV, otherwise Timney
Scope: Variable, Leupold and up, 2.5x8 to 3.5x10 magnification range. Talley LW rings.

Now, you may be able to find most of these criteria with a factory offering, except for the custom barrel. IMHO, this is the most important piece of the puzzle. You want an accurate, easy to clean barrel, which will remain so throughout its life.
Stock Type: Synthetic
Metal Type: Stainless Steel
Action Type: Bolt
Caliber: 300 WSM
Scope: Leupy VX3 3.5-10x w/ B&C Reticle

PS. My preference would be an X-Bolt Stainless Stalker w/ integrated scope mounts
i probably don't own as many rifles as most who post here... i'm guessing though that most of what i own, in centerfires at least, would do for the stated purpose of the OP...

i reckon that my choice would be the model 70 classic fwt or the newer fn fwt...

my youngest is firmly convinced that he is invincible with my H&R Sako L461 .222...
he has never laid eyes on, and has no knowledge of the model 70 fwt .308 laid back for him....
I have enough components to last me the rest of my life for my 35 Whelen, Remington 700 Classic. Right out of the box except for some trigger adjustment.
Blued with wood stock, have oily rag will travel!
I hung a Leupold 1.75-6X Vari X III and like it!
I like to see the look on their eyes when I pull the trigger. wink
whelennut [Linked Image]
A full blown custom Mauser mod. 98 with barrel band swivel, and front sight, shallow V on a quarter rib or island ramp, Timney trigger, M-70 3 pos. safety etc. A piece of Russian walnut, short forend, Biesen type butt plate and grip cap..no cheek piece, low comb, no forend cap...caliber 30-06 with Talley QD scope mounts or claw mounts...Iron sights sighted in for 220 gr. Noslers, and scope sighted in for 200 gr. Noslers..

That would work for a one gun deal for me, but I wouldn't want to be restricted to one gun, that is unamerican..:)
Well, if I can only have one - it would probably just be a .22 long rifle. I'll just have to get closer and use head shots. If i can have one plus a .22, then I'll take my unfired FN mauser 7x57 and break it in.
Ruger M77 mk II .308
22" Krieger Barrel
Stock trigger adjusted to 2#
Mcmillan or Brown handle
4.5-14 Leupold VX3
Coated with Cerakote
I'm a little disappointed that nobody picked the obvious choice for a NA all-arounder - NULA in 280Rem!! cool

120gr SPs for varmints/deer and 120gr TSXs for big stuff.....
Here's a thought. If you were setting out to build a rifle as good as it could be built, with the expectation that it could be the last one you ever had, and wanted it to handle any big game hunting you might do in North America, what would it be? CRF or not? Lightweight or anvil weight? All of us want a rifle that weighs a pound or less, shoots to point of aim out to infinity, and kicks like a bull-barreled .22LR, but if you were to have only one rifle for the rest of your days, what would you need? Super reliable, supremely sturdy, and as accurate as possible are my criteria.

I have gotten the old idea of "beware the man with one gun" in my head, and can't get it out. Figured I'd share the misery and let you guys twist your minds up trying to come up with the perfect all-around rifle, too. Right now, I am leaning toward a CRF action, with sporter weight barrel, synthetic stock, iron sights and fixed power scope. I want reliability first, shootability a close second, and the sturdiest setup I can build. Weight comes dead last, behind accuracy, which needs to be 1.5moa or less. I'd still like to keep the weight under 8.5 lbs. all up, if possible. What would you do? Caliber, action, barrel, stock, scope? What's your idea of the ultimate all-around hunting rifle for this continent?
Caliber: 300SAUM, Action: Short Bolt Action, Barrel: 22 inch, Stock: Synthetic, Scope: Leupold VX III 3-9 variable, Bullet: 180grain Nosler Partition, Finish: Matte Stainless Steel.......That combination (minus the scope which I can't yet afford) is my Model 7 Remington sitting in the gunsafe.
© 24hourcampfire