Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep.....

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Where the concept of the all around big game rifle becomes less ideal is when:

1. The terrain changes.
2. The distances change.
3. The quarry changes.
4. Finally I changed! Age and health dictated lighter guns for most use.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have two that'll do just fine!!

Wood/Blue Remington 700 Mtn 30-06 Sprg w/Leupold VX-III 2.5x8x36

Kimber 84M Select Claro 308 Win w/Leupold VX-III 2.5x8x36

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 257Deland

Almost said that in a .257 Roberts, and for what I hunt 95% of the time, .257 Roberts is more than enough.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
My G33/40, in my old Brown or an Edge, with a Lilja #2 cut to 23" on it, Talley's, Uncle Mikes mtn sling and a 2-8 Leo with dotz in it.

Dober

Dober, I notice there's no reference to a chambering... not surprising as it's the rifleman, not the cartridge, that makes the difference.

Amen to that Mac, the round doesn't make that much diff to me when it comes to killiing.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Pre 64 M70 FW 30/06.

Bob-if I didn't have my G33 the pre/fwt in an Edge, Talley, UN Mtn sling, and a leo with dotz is exactly what I'd run. Except most likely in 06 Improved.. wink

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Dober I am with you and my first choice is really the improved :);but you get those damn bears in the mix,and ....well since I have only used a 375 on them (and even though I have former buds who used the 270 with success on the big bruins)I like that the 06 can use those 200-220 gr bullets,which is why I have to choose it,with that special purpose in mind..........but for everything else I would be comfy with the 270,30/06,and maybe bestest of all a 7 mag with 160-175 gr bullets.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hear you Bob, and perhaps cause I've never seen them b4 I feel this way but I feel that I'd be just fine on the big boys with my 270 and the 160 Nozler. I could be way wrong but I'd shoot the first round on my terms and the first round would be fatal. Now if the bugger still decided he wanted a piece of me I feel confident that I'd place the next bullet CNS and end the discussion toot sweet.

The 280 and the Mashburn with 175 Noz semi's would work for me as well.

Right or wrong I feel very intimate with my G33 and feel comfy defending myself against all but a couple critters in the world which I have no desire to shoot.

But an 06 with 200's or 220's wouldn't hurt my feelers either.

In all my time with black bruins (a world of diff I know) I've only had to defend my skin once. Bruin came from 9' at me and fast and I shot him uder the chin with my clients 25/06. End of the discussion with said pissed of bruin right now...grin

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 03/21/10.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I would use my .340 Wby Mag with 250 Nosler Partitions and be very happy!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by 257Deland

Almost said that in a .257 Roberts, and for what I hunt 95% of the time, .257 Roberts is more than enough.

I've thought about selling the Kimber 308 and getting a Kimber Roberts, but already have four 257's. Why do I need five? Maybe I do need a fifth; wish they still made the Kimber Select Claro.

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Amen to that Mac, the round doesn't make that much diff to me when it comes to killiing.

Dober

It's the man that makes the tool, not the tool that makes the man, eh?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
To a point but it's far better to work smarter not harder. Driving 10 penny nails with a sledge or railroad spikes with a ball peen hammer is a fool's folly

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Of course Scott, but we're talking about using common sense and reason here.

At the end of the day, anything from a 260 Rem to a 340 Wby makes a good one-gun-gun, and its effectiveness is more up to the operator than many on these forums that hand-wring over minutia would understand.

But you're a guy that understands this stuff more than most I think...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yep, then I'll go back to my previous and recommend something stainless in a McMillan.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
This idea and the thought of getting too complicated lately is what got me building the rifle i am building now. I have a 700 ADL in .270 win on a B&C Ti stock( picked up on the fire) and a new weaver K6 fixed power scope. So far the rifle weighs around six and a half pounds or so. Ive adjusted the trigger, free floated the barrel and might bed the action. I wanted to build one that is light, accurate and doesnt kick like a missouri mule. Pending the range test i think ive done it. And all for less than $600.

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by countryboy73

I have gotten the old idea of "beware the man with one gun" in my head, and can't get it out.

I think nowadays I fear the man with one gun for a different reason. From the folks I've known and met, the man with one gun likely doesn't know how to use it very well and really isn't into rifles. And because he isn't into rifles very much, he also doesn't shoot very much. This is also the guy who will buy the wrong ammo for his gun because it is typically the cheapest. And if a man can only afford one rifle, he likely can't afford much ammo to shoot it and truly be proficient enough to be some sort of fearsome marksman.

That being said, I'm now down to one personal rifle for the moment, don't imagine that will last much longer though.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stainless/synthetic Ruger M77 Mk II

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Originally Posted by countryboy73

I have gotten the old idea of "beware the man with one gun" in my head, and can't get it out.

I think nowadays I fear the man with one gun for a different reason. From the folks I've known and met, the man with one gun likely doesn't know how to use it very well and really isn't into rifles. And because he isn't into rifles very much, he also doesn't shoot very much. This is also the guy who will buy the wrong ammo for his gun because it is typically the cheapest. And if a man can only afford one rifle, he likely can't afford much ammo to shoot it and truly be proficient enough to be some sort of fearsome marksman.

That being said, I'm now down to one personal rifle for the moment, don't imagine that will last much longer though.

I know plenty of old men that are quite handy with the one rifle they own. I believe there are some men out there that are just really practical and dont feel they need multiple rifles and usually get whatever job needs doing done with the one they got. For a long time i only had one rifle due to not being able to afford another and became quite proficient with it.

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bob, Brad and Mark, it's ironic that as you know I'm putting this rifle together as we speak. The Hunter's Edge should ship this week. And the only hard decision is whether to put the 270 or 30-06 P-64 fwt barreled action in it when it gets here. I probably won't know until I have it in hand.

What makes the decision tougher is knowing there is no wrong decision.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Absolutely no wrong decision... I know what you mean about a "tough decision"... I'm going with 270, but could as easily go 30-06.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

475 members (160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 163bc, 10Glocks, 43 invisible), 2,332 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,660
Posts18,512,866
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.