Home
Sometimes things were just meant to be. Walked into one of my local emporiums and see this rifle on the shelf. Salesman
said it was ordered for the store, than "saved" for a customer who then backed away from the sale. Took over 6 months to get it he said. I just put it on the rack this morning.
After looking it over thoroughly, I said I needed one of those 4473's. Yes, the same price you all are seeing around the country - in 30-06.

Took her home to the wife who said, "nice"! Another one for me?
Ah no, this one is mine, I replied. Did the first thing all loonies do - took it all apart.
Some weights from the digital scale. The rifle weighs 5# 9 oz..
The stock is 1# 8 oz, the bolt 8 oz.. The rifle as pictured with a FX II 6x36 and the factory supplied Talley LW lows end
up at 6# 5 oz.. The barrel diameter at the muzzle is .614".

Fired up some new WW brass for the occasion and headed out.
The rifle came with a measured 3# pull and I left it.
Nothing exotic was loaded - 56 gr. H4350 with some 180gr. B. Tip's, and 180 gr. Accubombers. I saved the Partitions for the next session.
Oh and the max COAL is 3.395" so there is plenty of room to experiment. I stayed .025" off.

The recoil as suspected was definitely snappy but not surprising with a rifle of this weight. While not an "all day gun" it was very tolerable. I would say on par with 165's out of a Kimber Montana 84M .308 or 180's out of a Montana in 30-06.

It took 4 to sight it and then I cleaned the bore. The next four was a group of 180gr. BT's which look very good and then the 180gr. Accubonds, also good. No adjustment was made to the scope. All eight were shot in a continual string in about two minutes. The temp was 30* with a negligible wind.

Yes I know its not a CRF and has a 2 position, 3 function safety. There was no trouble getting used to it. It was interesting to watch it function while out of the stock. Just something to get used to.

The splatter coat paint, is slightly rougher than the finish on the Montana. Same two action screw setup and same recoil pad. The full length bedding is clean and tight.
If one needs to replace the stock, Rick at Titan Machine said the rifle would have to go back to be re-bedded. They'd rather bed it there to the barrel and know its done right than having someone "budda" it up on their own.

According to the instruction booklet, it stated that any attempt to fieldstrip the bolt would void the limited lifetime warranty - which reminds me I have to send in.
I asked Rick about it and he said that based on their conversations (with Melvin too) they felt this was the best way to prevent someone from getting in over their head. It appears to be a Rem.700 style bolt. I am going to call Melvin next week and ask him.

The forward pillar is a robust 5/8" diameter. There is no rear action pillar.

All in all I think this is a very fine copycat of the real Forbes rifle. Is it worth the extra $250 more than a 84L?
Well, yes if there aren't any accuracy/functioning issues.

Certainly not every Forbes 24B will come "perfect" out of the box (my statement). But in talking to Rick and Chris at Titan they seem to be very motivated to deliver just that - perfection. They both were patient nor did I get the feeling that I was bothering them.

If anyone needs another photo angle or two, let me know.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Gee's all you now need is a tag to go along with that, go shoot something with it. I think I will have to get one for myself. Kind of itching for a 270 gone to long with out one. Since I paired down my collection some years back.
Thanks for the write up. I enjoy reading your reviews.
They're nice rifles. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on another...
Congratulations on the new rifle. I have it's identical twin and its an awesome shooter.
Looks awesome. I have emailed them to include Mr. Forbes with no response. Have been looking forward to the release of this rifle but can't say I'm happy with the initial communication.

Joe, what do you think of the grip and its tight radius?
I'm not 'whoop, but I have an opinion on the grip.

It felt awkward in my hands while setting or shooting from a bench. It didn't feel nearly as awkward when standing and shooting freehand. One thing I noticed immediately was the ability to stay on target in the freehand position.

I'm sure others will have the exact opposite opinion, but it was really easy for me to get on target away from a rest.
Patiently waiting for stainless........
....and it will allow the palm of your hand to absorb more of the recoil. Competition shotgun shooters often use it for that reason.

Feels odd for those who have never tried it. For myself it seems I am more solidly locked together with the rifle.

Very nice review. Thanks.

I assume this new Forbes rifle will be available in RH only??

NB
Originally Posted by Natty_Bumpo

NB

Nope. Forbes will produce a wrong-handed version as well. smile
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE

NB

Nope. Forbes will produce a wrong-handed version as well. smile

Thanks for that.

I may be "wrong-handed" but am stongly "right-minded".

24HCF rocks.
Great Information.

Thanks for sharing. This is the best reveiw I have read thus far. I was curious of actual weight.
Thanks again.

.270 on order here.
Thanks for that.

I may be "wrong-handed" but am stongly "right-minded".

24HCF rocks.

LOL. Hopefully you took that in good jest, as it was intended.

Forbes hopes to have a LH version out by the end of the first quarter, if the web site info is still accurate (it's pushed some dates back, fwiw).
I've added a few more photos for those interested.

The first is a look at the fully bedded barrel channel/pillar area.

[Linked Image]

Next for comparison is the Kimber 84L bolt (9.8 oz) and the Forbes bolt (8.4 oz).

[Linked Image]

Now here is the exposed Timney trigger assembly on the right side showing the safety mechanism. While Mr. Forbes forgot more on rifle design and building (in one day) than I will ever know, I have a thought on the safety design.
The opening needed for the safety to pivot may be a collection point for debri and rain. In freezing temps that could become a liability. At some point, debri or ice/snow will render the safe inoperable. But as long as the owner realizes this they can monitor it. I should say in defense of this upon closer examination, there is ample room between the safety and inner stock wall to allow some material to pass thru. Snow and ice forming there come be a problem however.

But with hundreds of Forbes rifles out there and thousands of similar Rem. 700 too, maybe the concern is overblown.

[Linked Image]

Next, the left side which shows the recoil lug. This is very similar to all the Kimbers and I believe it to be press fit.

[Linked Image]

Brad asked about the grip dimensions so here are some photos and measurements which cover that.

The first is an attempt to give you a visual on the Forbes versus the 84L grip openings. The Kimber is the top rifle.

[Linked Image]

Next are the two in a different orientation with measurements.
I'll list them if they are hard to view.
The Kimber 84L has a wider or longer grip profile. As shown by the ruler, I measured the distance between the back of the trigger guard to the nearest point of the radiused edge of the pistol grip. The Kimber measures 3 9/16" and the Forbes 3 1/4". The difference, 5/16" is rather significant.
I also measured the circumference of the grip in the location shown by the sewing tape. The Kimber had a 5" circumference and the Forbes 5 1/4". Also rather significant.

[Linked Image]

The last measurement I made was the drop of the stock. The Kimber "dropped" 1" and the Forbes measured 1/2". No photo.

As to Brads question, the feel is noticeable right away. I must say that I did rap the back of my middle finger against the recoiling trigger guard a couple of times. Lesson learned!
Certainly it was my fault and a firmer grip with a slight change in position was needed. I do like the fuller feel to the grip. It feels easier to maintain a firmer grip as opposed to a slimmer Kimber. Someone with beefier hands will have to realize what the grip profile is and adjust accordingly. This is all nit picking but the differences are there.

I should add that the Talley ringmount system is made at Titan. You might have noticed that the edges are more radiused. They weigh 2 oz and are the 6/48 size. Gary at Tally said they too make a picatinny rail and a "quick detach" system in steel for the Forbes.

Is the Forbes 24B at $1400 worth the difference when compared to the Kimber Montana 84L? Only you can decide as there are
differences to consider.

If there are any other questions or photo requests, let me know. I will post further range results as conditions allow.

According to Rick at Titan, they have plans to bring out the rifle in all stainless, short action, additional calibers and yes left handed models. Of course it all depends on how things progress and how they adapt to the "growing pains".

[quote=8SNAKE
LOL. Hopefully you took that in good jest, as it was intended.

[/quote]

Yup, Roger that smile

Great Infornation again, Big Whoop!!

NB
Originally Posted by MGunns
Looks awesome. I have emailed them to include Mr. Forbes with no response. Have been looking forward to the release of this rifle but can't say I'm happy with the initial communication.

In my experience, a phone call is the way to go. I was also frustrated by a lack of response to emails, but phone calls work well. Hope that helps.
bigwhoop,

How would you compare the felt recoil between a Montana and Forbes? Obviously this info is extremely subjective, but I'd like to hear your impressions.
Thanks Joe, great review and photos as usual....

I had Melvin put one of his safeties on a 673 in 6.5 Rem Mag several years ago and I really like it.
I keep hearing stainless barrels are planned, but not stainless actions. Anyone know for sure?
The serial number in the bedding caught my eye. I bought one in August and the numbers were 224. Not knowing when yours shipped or how long they held it at the shop, but that's 60ish rifles in 6 months. If they are truly in numerical order, that's only about 10 a month!

I see demand far outweighing supply. It also may mean they're taking their time and doing things right.
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
I keep hearing stainless barrels are planned, but not stainless actions. Anyone know for sure?

Stainless actions are planned too.

http://www.forbesriflellc.com/Portals/0/Shot%20Show%202013%20newest.pdf
Best write up on these I've see so far. Thanks for taking the time, especially with the pictures vs the Kimber. It was enough to show me that I'd still rather have a Montana, not a slight against the Forbes at all either. It appears to be a hell of a rifle. Glad their is another choice out there in the quality light rifle ranks.
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE
bigwhoop,

How would you compare the felt recoil between a Montana and Forbes? Obviously this info is extremely subjective, but I'd like to hear your impressions.

I didn't have them at the range together. Just off hand I'd say they will be very comparable.
bigwhoop: Thanks for the usual great review...lokks like a nicely assembled rifle.

My experiences with NULA's is very scant but one thing I liked about the one I shot is that it was an easy,comfortable rifle to shoot off hand...the one I shot just seemed to "hang" far better than a rifle of that weight would indicate.That tighter grip and high comb,combined with the cheekpiece, were all parts of the reason and confirmed in a conversation with Mel Forbes.

I am thinking one of these in 7/08 would be a pretty tidy little package.Do they make it?
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I am thinking one of these in 7/08 would be a pretty tidy little package.Do they make it?

According to their website. 30-06,25-06,.270 and .280 are in production right now. .35 Whelen and 6.5x55 later this year as well as SA models down the road.

I believe one of the most popular ULA rifles was in .284 WIN.?

NB
NB: Thanks....a 280 would be pretty neat! smile
Originally Posted by BobinNH

I believe the initial run of short actions is planned in .308, 7-08 and .243, but it will probably be several months before the 20B's are produced.
Here is a reply to an email I sent to Forbes a couple weeks ago.I was inquiring as to the future of the Forbes and the 7 Rem Mag.

Robert,

Thank you for your interest in the Forbes Rifle line, and thank you for your kind words as well. We will be offering a magnum round but we haven't really figured out all the actions we want to offer. We will for sure have a 300 Win and a 338 Lapua but other than that we haven't really solidified anything. The Forbes Rifle is extremely accurate and our 30-06 model weighs in at around 5.5 lbs. So it makes an excellent pack rifle hence why we call it the ultimate mountain rifle. Can I put you on our waiting list for a rifle?
I e-mailed about a rimfire model- NO plans frown
None of the Forbes rifles interest me at all.I just don't see all of the so called hype for these rifles.I'd much rather have a rifle custom built for me by Kampfeld Custom or Eddie F.
It's the lure of a light rifle at an affordable price. Real world prices of a Forbes in any configuration should max out at $1500. You won't get a complete rifle from Eddie or Kampfeld for that kind of money -- nor should you. Two peas in different pods. A full blown custom versus a production gun....
Originally Posted by crittergetter
None of the Forbes rifles interest me at all.I just don't see all of the so called hype for these rifles.I'd much rather have a rifle custom built for me by Kampfeld Custom or Eddie F.

A true lightweight rifle that drives tacks for less than $1,500 seems pretty alluring to me. You can spend a lot more, but I'm not sure you will gain much.
2 groups shot with this rifle on page 1 didn't impress me at all.I don't like light weight rifles and the 1's from Kampfeld Custom were built the way I wanted and I did gain allot more by having them built.That's just me.
I've had several Senderos and CDLS THAT SHOT BETTER than this rifle right out of the box.

Good luck even getting a Kampfeld these days...
2 groups shot with this rifle on page 1 didn't impress me at all.I don't like light weight rifles and the 1's from Kampfeld Custom were built the way I wanted and I did gain allot more by having them built.That's just me.
I've had several Senderos and CDLS THAT SHOT BETTER than this rifle right out of the box.

If you don't like light weight rifles, of course the Forbes won't be your cup of tea. They are among the best production flyweights you can buy, though. I don't know that I could justify a NULA over a Forbes unless I was set on something very unique. I really wonder how Forbes will impact NULA sales moving forward.
Crittergetter,

If you don't prefer LW rifles that is a personal choice not needing defense. Now as far as groups go-and that Forbes will probably do better-but let's say it will not, but will hold that relative MOA out to distance. How far away would a BG animal have to be before you could blame a miss on the rifle?

Also have you ever compared field position group size with one of your favorites with one that shoots as represented by the above Forbes?

Personal preference in rifles is just that. You couldn't give me a 8.5lb un-scoped 26in barrel Sendero to lug around the hills or any mountain country all day even it shot then all to the same hole all the time.
Originally Posted by battue

Also have you ever compared field position group size with one of your favorites with one that shoots as represented by the above Forbes?

Personal preference in rifles is just that. You couldn't give me a 8.5lb un-scoped 26in barrel Sendero to lug around the hills or any mountain country all day even it shot then all to the same hole all the time.

Take away the bags and bipod and those quarter inch wonders go all to hell in a hurry,and will be no better than the Forbes....nothing wrong with tiny groups of course but you could hunt the continent with that Forbes and never miss a beat...and if you miss an animal with it the way it's shooting so far.....well....you suck. grin
Great write-up and comparison.

Thanks for taking the time Joe.
Any reason one couldn't replace the two position safe with a Gentry 3 position M-70 safety?

I'm so used to the M70 safety.....
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
It's the lure of a light rifle at an affordable price. Real world prices of a Forbes in any configuration should max out at $1500. You won't get a complete rifle from Eddie or Kampfeld for that kind of money -- nor should you. Two peas in different pods. A full blown custom versus a production gun....

That's right!

Dober
Thx for the report BW, I look forward to getting my paws on one as well. I kind of anticipate that I'll like the balance no sure about the grip as it appears sort of closed for my preference. Though when I shot JB's NULA/06 I really liked it and shot it well.

Have you shot it any more?

Glad to see you weighing the bolts. I've done that a few times and far as I know you're the only other fella I've known who's comp'd the two.

Keep us in the loop. Is there an x-tra low made for rings?

Thx
Dober
Did I read correctly forbes is considering a 338 Lapua ? Better hold onto that one or you will be picking it up after every shot !
Great write up! I cant see anything bad with another choice in the factory light rifle market.The groups to me seem very good for taking a new rifle throwing together 2 loads and ending up with those 2 groups.
Nice write-up! I'm not sure I could stand the grip, if it's as similar to the NULA rifle grips as I think it is.

Other than that, which is just personal preference, it looks like Mr. Forbes has a winner on his hands!
BW, as others have said, thanks for taking the time for the great write up.
I really enjoyed this writeup. I have one just like this one, same scope, weighs exactly the same too. I just got back from the range this morning. I just picked a couple loads out of the Nosler manual and shot them today. One group with 200 NP and R-22 was 5/8", one was 1.25". 180 NP went a little under an inch for a couple groups. These were just random loads with nothing special done. I think it will shoot pretty good. The gun didn't feed from the magazine very well, but I smoothed out some rough spots and it's working much better. Scheel's had these on sale for $1200. I think it's worth it.

Ok....?

So you can spend more money wait longer and get a rifle that's made up of parts you personally choose?
Thanks for the write up. Sounds like a nice well made light weight rifle.

Is it too soon to order the 1-8" twist stainless 22-250?.....grin
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Any reason one couldn't replace the two position safe with a Gentry 3 position M-70 safety?

Good question. The way the Timney trigger works I'm not sure.

The only thing I really don't like about the Forbes is the Timney Trigger and slot cut in the stock to accommodate it ala 700...
The stainless barrel/alloy receiver models seem a little strange. I would think most folks wanting stainless would go all stainless. I guess we'll see how well they sell.
You know people, I'm only writing what I observed, weighed and measured. I'm not a spokesman for anyone. Just thought I'd do a little extra for a rifle that has a little bit of interest here. There is nothing to say an occasional Forbes could be a rodeo like a Kimber. They are rifles in a $1200 to $1400 price point that have some specialty features. They are not full blown customs at $4 on up! No one forced me nor will they force you to buy something. If a Tikka in the $500's suit you, great! I have a couple too.

It is not surprising that it only took to page 2 for the first detractors to show up. If you like heavywights - all the best to you.

Rifles like the Kimber Montana, Forbes 24B, Weatherby Ultra Lightweights, Remington Ti's and the like are speciality items.
They serve a niche need whereby some of us pursue a particular weight class.

I am happy we have all the options we do have! We all realize there is a battle raging over the 2A that would limit our access to the options we all prefer.

I purposely shot 4 shots to show as a "group" as some get snooty over 3's. Now I see two groups wasn't enough. There are more coming as time and weather permit. Its obvious that nothing will please everyone so I'll not even try.

Meantime, don't forget to email or call your local politicians and let them know what you think.
I'd guess the stainless barrel option is a result of the high demand for a stainless gun that they didn't anticipate. With barrels coming from Shaw, they were able to supply stainless barrels right now, but getting a stainless action into the mix will take a little longer - like next year.
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

Good question. The way the Timney trigger works I'm not sure.

The only thing I really don't like about the Forbes is the Timney Trigger and slot cut in the stock to accommodate it ala 700...

There was some indication (I forget now who told me) that Titan Machine may eventually come out with their own safety version. No indication as to what it may be. I'm sure its a cost consideration over buying Timneys - even in some volume.
Originally Posted by djpepper
I'd guess the stainless barrel option is a result of the high demand for a stainless gun that they didn't anticipate. With barrels coming from Shaw, they were able to supply stainless barrels right now, but getting a stainless action into the mix will take a little longer - like next year.

I hear ya. Maybe something they will phase out after the all stainless are available.
If I decide to buy a Forbes Rifle I'll wait for all stainless. One all SS 270 please!
I'd be happy to have a stainless barrel and cm action. Sounds like a great rifle as long as the chamberings offered works for the person doing the buying.
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Nice write-up! I'm not sure I could stand the grip, if it's as similar to the NULA rifle grips as I think it is.

Other than that, which is just personal preference, it looks like Mr. Forbes has a winner on his hands!

prairie,

The stock for the Forbes is made by Melvin. They are the same dimensions as are on his own. So yes, the grip is identical.
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Thx for the report BW, I look forward to getting my paws on one as well. I kind of anticipate that I'll like the balance no sure about the grip as it appears sort of closed for my preference. Though when I shot JB's NULA/06 I really liked it and shot it well.

Have you shot it any more?

Glad to see you weighing the bolts. I've done that a few times and far as I know you're the only other fella I've known who's comp'd the two.

Keep us in the loop. Is there an x-tra low made for rings?

Thx
Dober

Dober,
The "low" version is what came as standard. I don't know if Titan makes an "extra low". Next time I call, I'll ask. Titan makes the Talley themselves as I confirmed this talking to Gary at Talley. As I wrote above, Talley makes a picatinny rail and their steel QD for the Forbes.
Mark,
The grip is identical to the NULA.

Lefty

Well lucky [bleep]. You're obviously from the savage_99 school of offering preference when no one asked for it.

BW, thanks for the write up on this.
Originally Posted by Kaleb
I'd be happy to have a stainless barrel and cm action. Sounds like a great rifle as long as the chamberings offered works for the person doing the buying.

Would you buy a Stainless barrel/CM action version if the all stainless version was setting next to it on the shelf for not too much difference in price?
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

prairie,

The stock for the Forbes is made by Melvin. They are the same dimensions as are on his own. So yes, the grip is identical.

Thanks for the info bigwhoop, and thanks for the write-up!
No if I could buy all ss I'd go for that?......if it wasn't an option I'd be happy with cm and ss barrel????

Was you that curious or trying to make a point?
I think we've become programmed to only accept stainless steel barrels through consistent marketing. None of my pre'64 barrels, which are over 50 years old, have a speck of rust on them. But options are what makes the world interesting.
No if I could buy all ss I'd go for that?......if it wasn't an option I'd be happy with cm and ss barrel????

Was you that curious or trying to make a point?

His (already stated) point is that a CM receiver and stainless barrel probably won't sell very well next to an all stainless option if prices are similar.
Ok so what has your point been? You've made a few statements but unsure on your "points"?

My point is if given a choice I'd take a ss barrel. If no choice I'd happily take a Forbes rifle as issued if chambered for something I needed/wanted.

Are you and savaged 99 having a good night?
Ok so what has your point been?

Apparently to state the obvious.
Lol....keep going your doing well
CM actions have proven themselves over time with the most minimal of care. Not having a SS action wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

I would be more concerned about up to spec components put together right the first time.

crittergetter-seems to me that you lean towards heavier rifles. Guess I'm curious as to where you hunt on a yearly basis. IE in what states other than Tx and in what kinds of terrain?

Thx

Dober
$1500 will build a KILLER Rifle,in any twist/throat a guy can concoct. Fact is,$1500 will getcha a Montucky wearing a High Zoot tube,chambered as per whim. BT/DT and I've the t-shirts.

I never was much into [bleep] around and CM spouts are a schitty route of travel...fact is,there ain't a worse way to roll. I can do a CM receiver,though it assuredly ain't my favorite means and a bitter pill to swallow in this day and age. Easy to ruin a spout in a day or two,though I know some will Pipe Dream oil saturated bores and a buncha other contrived bullschit...though they's TOTALLY clueless in the sanctity of POA/POI intersections ala CBS and lengthy strings. I know,I know...someone's Uncle Daddy shot a Mouser at everything for 700 years and never missed a [bleep] lick. I've [bleep] heard it all and relish the influx of hilarity by the clueless.

Light done right has no peer,though a CM barreled version is light done wrong +P,yet apparently horns up the Hay Bale & Crockett faction on dusty roads while opening gates. Laffin'!

Now,were the Forbes spawn offered replete with a 3" box,throats in accords to same and wearing S/S spouts twisted in harmony,they'd mebbe rate consideration at 1500 or so clams. As configured,they's City Slickin' Bean Counter offerings and if that horns folks up,more power to Mel for cashing them checks,as it'd be his fault if he didn't.

This schit cracks me up.

(Addendum for poor/dumb '270)

Gene...that means "extry". Laffin'!

Anywhoo,feel free to denote the word(s) that were too long in length for you too savvy,or too high brow in Intellect for you to keep pace with and I'll happily take the time to shorten 'em,if only to rub your nose in your own stupidity. Feel free to quantify if you are Bitchin' or Braggin',should you be under the supposition that your Bitchin' ain't crystalline to all and two thumbs up in it's relative quality. Feel free to wax eloquent in a rollicking Vagina Monologue narrative and recounting of your "hard charging" ways,if only because it'll be funnier than [bleep].

Hell,I might could mebbe even be looking forward to it,so please swing for the fence.

Bless your heart.
boxer,
if you want us to dwell in all the knowledge you have at least write it in ENGLISH please............
I�m salivating over the used market for CM Forbes'. Boxer, keep drive the price down buddy! Thanks!

P.S., is there something wrong with Cerakote? What�s it going for these days? $200? Couple guys on the fire have announced that academy is selling Forbes 24Bs for $1299. What�s the used market going to be once all the SS hits the market?

New to me rifles are fine by me.
It's not the outside of the tube he's talking about....
I sit corrected. I will definitely include the price of a rebarrel into my offering price. This is just gettng better.
Originally Posted by gene270
boxer,
if you want us to dwell in all the knowledge you have at least write it in ENGLISH please............

Exactly. Nothing like old world Yoda speak with a touch of jackass....
I just bought a new Forbes 24B in 30-06. I'm not scared of the CM one bit. My last CM rifle was a T/C Venture that was blued. Dynatek Bore Coat on the inside and Gun Shield on the outside. No issues with rust at all. I've hunted Michigan winters and Canada with that gun. Not sure about Alaska, never been. I thought the Dynatek products were kind of a gimmick but after reading Mule Deer's (John) comments I tried it and I have all my rifles and muzzleloaders coated now.

I went in to buy a Montana, and I still want one. But the fit, finish and feel of the Forbes was second to none. The safety takes a little getting used to, it sticks a little. Almost feels like a three position. The ability to press down and release the bolt is nice. I haven't shot it yet, but everything I've read leads me to believe it will be a shooter.
40',

Firstly,there ain't gonna be that many of them circulatin',to start with...so the influx of used donors is going to be slim to none. Secondly,noone is gonna be in a hurry to scoop used CM donors for a bushel a pop,despite the Imagined fanfare of the very notion being plausible.

Oh I concur,this Thread is assuredly gettin' better and might could be a right proper hoot,after the dust settles.

This schit cracks me up.

'smoker,

I believe you's onto sumptin',focusing a barrel's nether regions.(grin)

Horse',

I get a kick out of Whining dumbphuckers fawning fluff and skirting the meat and taters...as they race to take stupidity to places it hasn't been before.

Never have seen soooooo many boobs in sucha [bleep] hurry,to hitch carts in front of their ponies. Though in fairness,I groove on folks doing the best they can,with what incredibly little they have to work with.

Oblivious humor,never ain't not the best...and it just might add to the inherent laughter,when schit's gotta be explained to the poor dumbphuckers wallowing in their stupidity and devoid a first [bleep] clue.

I think you run poor/dumb '270 off,as she sure shut the [bleep] up...though you are doing "well".

Laffin'!

'glimpse,

Never been to Alaska either,but it seems like some of them guys is hard on riggin' and I'd be curious to hear how the CM would shake itself out there. May try me a Montana myself some day if I can save the pennies,as it seems it'd fend this Kansas weather and terrain.

Like to try an '06 some day too,as they really seem to have it going on,'specially in a lightweight CM rifle.
"Never been to Alaska either,but it seems like some of them guys is hard on riggin' and I'd be curious to hear how the CM would shake itself out there. "

Ya, un-huh, sure. There is only one person that can destroy language with such aplomb and still make sense...
Very interesting thread, I've been looking into the Forbes pretty heavily, i'm from BC and am going on a DIY sheep hunt, and looking to shave a few LBS. and OZ's wherever I can, i would have to import the Forbes into Canada however, anyone know how long a .270 S/S would take if i ordered one in May, would i get it by the end of august? ive been training my ass off getting ready, 30 km of running a week!
I can tell you that I ordered a 30-06 (blued) about 5 weeks ago and was told to expect about 120 days to reach my ffl dealer in Michigan. Mike
I stopped at a local Scheel's yesterday to see if they had any idea when they might be seeing the 280AI's or 35 Whelen's I have been hearing about. I figured Scheel's would "see them" as soon as anyone give the fact they were as they were one of the more "visible" outfits selling them.

The gun manager stated that they opened their store last Sept. with 6 Forbes rifles and had only sold 4 to date. Given the 4 sales in 7 months, he said they would not likely order any others but rather focus on Kimbers and HS Precision rifles. He also said they would likely just "special order" in the future wrt the Forbes rifles. When I asked him about the reports of a few stores selling them for $1200 (our store was still $1399), he said that was most likely a result of "poor" sales.

Too bad!!! I hope this doesn't reflect on the overall sales of the Forbes Rifle. Melvin obviously intended this rifle to reach a much bigger audience than his ULA's/NULA's. Question is... are the masses ready in terms of interest and/or finances? Maybe it needs a high capacity magazine action option. Perhaps it will still only appeal to "pseudo" rifle looneys who will demand so many option/chamberings that it will not be viable at it's price point. I hope not!

I love my CLR 7 mag. hybrid and have shot it almost exclusively for the last 4 years. I have a "used" ULA M20 7mm-08 that will likely be my "go to" gun in another 10-15 years. My buddy has the new Forbes Rifle in 30-06 and couldn't be happier. Even though I don't "need" one, I too have been tempted by the 30-06, even more so by the 280AI.

Here's to Melvin's success with the current Forbes Rifle venture!!!
I bought a Forbes .270 from the Scheels in Mankato,MN in mid Feb. Put a 6x Leupold on it and sighted it in with Win factory 130 grain ammo. After zeroing, first three group shot 1.25". Next two, three shot groups, were both between 0.75" and 1.0 ". Will try some handloads when I get back home in early April. I hope to kill a pig or two in Oklahoma with it on my way home from Dallas which was the reason for using factory ammo initially. Weighs virtually the same as my Rem 700 Mtn rifle in 30-06 with a Bansner stock and 2.5x8 scope. Previously had a 7mm-08 NULA that I bought used. Like the Forbes better so far since the stock grip fits my hands better than the used NULA which must had a custom sized grip for the original owner.
I guess I am wrong on the 280AI, went back to the Forbes site and it said a 280 was planned, not 280AI. I thought I'd read it somewhere. 30-06 still looks good!!!
Thanks to this thread and you guys talking price. A light went off in my head as to why my ordered 24B in .270 is just under $1600.00!!
I called the GS where the order is placed and they are not going by Forbes rifle codes???
According to Forbes website, My GS ordered a All SS in LEFT Hand!

Grrrr. What a waste of 2 weeks.

I am told that the Blue is shipping faster. I might just change my order from SS to blue.....and make sure it's RIGHT Handed.
Originally Posted by SixGunHunter
I am told that the Blue is shipping faster. I might just change my order from SS to blue.....and make sure it's RIGHT Handed.

Stainless production won't begin for quite a while, so if you want a rifle now you'll have to go with blued.
We all need to keep this in mind, they are not blued. They are milspec black oxide coated. That coating soaks up (and holds) oil and should not be an issue. We use black oxide in a lot of products with great success.
When I spoke to Rick at Titan a couple of weeks ago, he said the coating on the barrel/action is manganese phosphate. He said to coat it with a high quality oil and it will "bond" with the coating.
As many have said here, stainless barrels and actions are coming but no definite release date. No doubt they will cost more but probably worth it as these first edition actions and barrels will rust into junk within a few months. Marketing has done its job.
It is no secret Melvin went into this venture with Titan to produce a rifle at a lower price point. The reality of our economy is going to have a great influence as to how quick new calibers and actions are introduced.
If Titan sees that sales are stagnant they will not be so quick to move into more options.
IZAKAMAN....saw a Kimber Mt Accent and a Montana, both in .280 AI at the Kelowna BCWSS (Sheep) convention over the weekend. Either would make the "ultimate" sheep rifle if you want it now. For sale by a guy from Vancouver Island too.
Isn't "magnesium phosphate" coating otherwise known as "parkerizing?"
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Isn't "magnesium phosphate" coating otherwise known as "parkerizing?"

Yup..I thought Rick told me black oxide. Either way, I'd rather have parkerizing than bluing..

Manganese Phosphate (Parkerize) is a chemical conversion coating that adds 0.0002 to 0.0003 inches to steel and cast surfaces and provides excellent corrosion resistance. Manganese Phosphate can also be used as a base for subsequent coating or paint. Parkerizing provides superior corrosion resistance, lubricity and resistance to galling. These qualities make for an excellent coating on gears, hand and pneumatic tools, and firearms. Parkerizing is the preferred finish for military weaponry and ordinance. Manganese Phosphate is sometimes referred to as "Luberizing" when using the Parco trade name.

A chrome-moly action with a Shaw barrel can be had for a hell of a lot less than $1400...

True....but getting one that weighs 5.5lbs for less than $1400 may be tough. Especially tough when considering the Timney trigger, professional bedding, long action and a comparable stock.....all with a #2 contour.

We've already seen the real street price is less than $1400.
True....but getting one that weighs 5.5lbs for less than $1400 may be tough. Especially tough when considering the Timney trigger, professional bedding, long action and a comparable stock.....all with a #2 contour.

We've already seen the real street price is less than $1400.

I paid $1300 for mine. To me, the stock alone was worth the $100 over the Kimber Montana I went in to get. I'll still buy a Kimber, it just won't be anytime soon.
I'm thinking a 700 long action, #2 barrel (24") and an Edge would be around 6.25lbs. I may be wrong? $349 for the action, $600 for the edge, $330 for the barrel and installation comes to $1279. That doesn't include bedding or a Timney trigger.

It'd be tough to hit $1400 at 5.5 lbs....

The Kimber Montana 84L is closest thing I can think of....and it's 5lbs 10oz....

dont forget the rings you get with the forbes $40.00 and if it is a chrome moly barrel another $100.00 probably to blue
I'm thinking a 700 long action, #2 barrel (24") and an Edge would be around 6.25lbs. I may be wrong? $349 for the action, $600 for the edge, $330 for the barrel and installation comes to $1279. That doesn't include bedding or a Timney trigger.

The Kimber Montana 84L is closest thing I can think of....and it's 5lbs 10oz....

Where can I get a good barrel and installation for $330? I need a couple at that price.
I was being conservative!
Dang, man you got my hopes up!
I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict the Forbes will not be a big seller....Although big among many serious rifle people like you find on this board me included I own 2 NULA rifles, the majority of the rifle buying hunters Havent ever heard of Melvin Forbes or his Rifles and they are perfectly happy with the Rem. 700 or Tikka or Savage ect ect that they already have....I know all the advantages to owning a Melvin rifle but most aren't willing to put down $1300/1400 for a lightweight rifle that shoots under an inch, I bought a factory 700 SPS a little over a year ago put it in a used HS stock and it shoots amazing 1 hole groups with reloads..My Model 28 in 300wm does too...I think factory rifles have caught up in the accuracy dept. and lightweight is just not worth the extra $$$ to most of the Rifle buyers . Just my opinion !
The forbes is sooo close, yet so far away from being something I'd put in my safe.

5.5 lbs vs. 5lbs 10oz is only 2 oz .... not much, units are a silly thing.
Come on Calvin............don't leave us hangin.......... grin
Originally Posted by Aviator
I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict the Forbes will not be a big seller....Although big among many serious rifle people like you find on this board me included I own 2 NULA rifles, the majority of the rifle buying hunters Havent ever heard of Melvin Forbes or his Rifles and they are perfectly happy with the Rem. 700 or Tikka or Savage ect ect that they already have....I know all the advantages to owning a Melvin rifle but most aren't willing to put down $1300/1400 for a lightweight rifle that shoots under an inch, I bought a factory 700 SPS a little over a year ago put it in a used HS stock and it shoots amazing 1 hole groups with reloads..My Model 28 in 300wm does too...I think factory rifles have caught up in the accuracy dept. and lightweight is just not worth the extra $$$ to most of the Rifle buyers . Just my opinion !

Agreed. Not available in enough cartridges and options for the loonies. Too expensive for the one rifle crowd. The hard core guys aren't buying until it's all stainless.

I hope it does well, but in this economy? I see a lot of really nice higher end rifles languishing in the racks or in the classifieds, despite the current buying frenzy on most everything else.

Time will tell.

Agreed. Not available in enough cartridges and options for the loonies. Too expensive for the one rifle crowd. The hard core guys aren't buying until it's all stainless.

I hope it does well, but in this economy? I see a lot of really nice higher end rifles languishing in the racks or in the classifieds, despite the current buying frenzy on most everything else.

Time will tell.

Said it very well here.

I think some of the reasoning for higher end sticks remaining stagnent is the 'black' rifle craze. At the gun show on Saturday/Sunday no one had any 'walking-around' money to wheel and deal, and nobody was a' horse tradin'. My hypothesis is many folks shot-their-nut, so to speak, buying a black rifle thinking it would be the last they'd get. Now that things have calmed down, most don't have a secret stash anymore. Now that isn't entirely true for the hardcore loonies, but most I know have a few slick sticks already.

Just my 2 cents.
Originally Posted by Aviator

Time will tell.

I don't disagree with either of you. My hope is that Forbes understands their market position and strives to fill that niche. If they can be profitable selling 10-20 rifles a month, stay there. That will fill the niche and keep supply/demand in check.

Being a hard core bolt rifle loony, I have my opinions of potential success and failure. Had I been calling the shots, stainless would have been the only option from the start. I would have rolled the 20B out first instead of the 24. Maybe initially offer six chamberings?

They're building a quality rifle. I hope they can continue to do so, while balancing demand, QC and profit. If they can do this successfully, they'll be around a long time. I have no idea about their financial situation, budgets or overhead, but my hope is that they don't have to compete with Remington, Ruger, etc to be successful.

A few comments:

Yes, the higher-end hunting rifle market is down, while the AR/tactical rifle market is up. I know one long-time custom maker of syn-stocked rifles with a fine reputation who is investing in a new tactical stock, just because of that. He was making 100+ rifles a year not long ago, and still makes some, but decided to go with the flow. I know other custom rifle makers who've had to lay off employees.

Despite that, so far the Forbes company has had a hard time keeping up with orders, which is why the introduction of the Model 20 action has been delayed. This despite not yet offering the stainless 24, though it's coming.

Somebody made a comment about 3" magazines for short-action rounds. The NULA Model 20 has always had a 3" magazine, with the chamber throated for the magazine length. The Forbes 20 will have the same magazine, just as the Forbes 24 is basically identical to the NULA Model 24.
Whether the Forbes will be a big seller or not has to be thought of in context of the size of the company. Robust sales for the Forbes probably would make a bean counter from a big name company start mopping his forehead. The Forbes 24B and any other
future release will be a competitive price point with the Kimber Montana and maybe a couple others if still being made.
Coming out with the 24B and the 30-06 family of calibers allows them to pick the "low hanging fruit" of the most commonly used.

Competition is a good thing as it gives the consumer choices and puts pressure on the manufactuturer to deliver the goods at a competitive price.

The Forbes rifle is simply another option to consider.
To me, it seems like the Montana has everything the Forbes has and then some, save the bedding job. You can get the Montana for $1100 and with that you get the stainless barrel and action, an outstanding trigger, and CRF. If the Forbes is 5.5 lbs and the 84L 5 pounds 10oz, then that is a difference of 2 ounces. Skim bedding a Montana is a breeze if a dummy like me can do it.

I'm not here to smash on the Forbes. I am sure they are a wonderful rifle, I just can't see it being any better than a Kimber. Just my 2 cents.
Is it just me, but I think Melvin did a pretty cool thing here. Time will tell, but after seeing one , I think I will have one at some point. I like to think of it this way, that NULA I always wanted just became very reachable. I say kudos to Mr. Forbes, Titain and ER Shaw.........job well done.
Jeffrey,

The construction of the stock of the Forbes is so far beyond the Kimber's it's over the horizon, and the same is true with the precision of the action. And I woild be willing to bet one of either rifle that the accuracy of the average Forbes will be far superior.

If you believe CRF is essential to a lightweight rifle, be my guest.
If it was not for the fire there is a good chance I wouldn't have picked up on the Forbes Rifle or at best only seen it mentioned infrequently. On the other hand, it is hard to pickup a shooting or hunting magazine that doesn't have a Kimber add.

First off people have to know you are selling and in this case the linage. For the most part when at the range, the majority never heard of a Nula when they ask what I'm shooting, and I live within an hour and 15minutes of where they are made. Which is always the next question: Who makes them? Nula's are definitely a word of mouth product with a few infrequent plugs from the shooting mags.

Seems to be most here assume Nula and the Forbes rifles are well known established names. For the average shooter they are not and the Forbes is riding on Nula's coattail.
Mule Deer,

I don't think CRF is essential, just nice. I feel that both rifles far surpass the realm of necessity, but then again I suppose necessity is relative to the buyer and their own needs.

If you say that the Forbes stock is that much better than the Montana, I have no doubt that it is. But, the Kimber stock seems to be pretty good. All three of mine shoot just fine, good enough that I couldn't justify putting a few hundred dollars more into them to improve accuracy.

I'm sure the Forbes is a wonderful rifle, and I will not question anyone who decides to put their money into one.

Take care,
Jeff

http://gunsmagazine.com/a-tale-of-two-rifles/

Here is a link to a recent magazine article comparing the Forbes and the Montana XWR. Mike
That article is the Montana Rifle Co, not the Kimber Montana that I was talking about. Sorry for the confusion.

I would never put money on a factory Kimber against a Forbes in the accuracy department. All three of my Kimbers improved greatly with bedding and a trigger tune. Luckily both jobs are simple to complete, at least in my experience.
CRF certainly isn't essential, but my only failures to extract have been twice on 700s and twice on a Nula. Each time brass shavings from shooting had collected under the extractor and caused the problem. I've shot many more rounds out of CRF rifles than I probably ever will out of 700 variants.

Keep them clean and it's no big deal. Don't and CRF seems to be the winner.
So if you shoot a lot and forget to clean your extractor, that CRF might be essential. smile

One reason I like CRF is because it allows you to unload (with a blind magazine) without putting a round all the way into battery, unlike a puch feed.

I forgot to mention the three position safety in my last posts. Again, not essential, just nice, and functional to boot.
The construction of the stock of the Forbes is so far beyond the Kimber's it's over the horizon, and the same is true with the precision of the action.

And it truly is.

The Kimber 84L I had left me wanting and I let it go. I found it of pseudo quality.

The Forbes I examined was true and worth the extra $$$.
Man I`m liking the looks of these and they come in left hand too smile 270 Win or maybe a 280 Rem is what I would be considering.

Thanks to bigwhoop on an excellent review of the gun, I have no doubt from you initial groups that it will be a shooter those loads are really close right now already.
Another reason to buy a Forbes: Costumer Service!

I recently found a 270 Forbes at my local Scheels and it went home with me. There turned out to be a minor glitch and the folks at Forbes were very, very helpful and responsive. That by itself sold me over. I have not worked it out yet, but I have no fears as I know I will be taken care of if there is a problem.
I spend time everyday looking for deals on rifles. Some day I'll find a deal on a Forbes and try it out.

The only rifle I ever tried used, and then ran out and picked up new - 84L Montana, 30-06. Boring, ok. Get the job done for everything but the most dangerous of game? Yep.

This isn't a Presidential election were you only get to vote for one.
Scheels in Bismarck, ND has 3 of them on the shelf. 270,25-06, and 30-06.

When I have the $ and can put my caliber choice lunacy to rest, I will try a 24b...probably in a 7mm rem mag. I love my Kimber Montana but always wished it had a cheek swell. Plus, the Forbes balances extremely well for a light rifle and Kimber does not chamber a 7mm rem mag; so I'll give em a shot.
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
So if you shoot a lot and forget to clean your extractor, that CRF might be essential. smile

One reason I like CRF is because it allows you to unload (with a blind magazine) without putting a round all the way into battery, unlike a puch feed.

I forgot to mention the three position safety in my last posts. Again, not essential, just nice, and functional to boot.

Never had to chamber a round to unload my 700 ADL's
+1 ... I pop'em outta my 30-06 with my thumb usually ...

some folks NEED CRF and try to justify it by any stretch of the imagination.
How is the bolt handle/scope clearance and bolt handle length relative to safety clearance on the Forbes?

I ask because on my NULA the clearance between the scope and bolt handle knob were tight enough that running it with friction-fit scope covers was problematic. Also, the bolt was short enough that gloves would sometimes catch and engage the safety. From the pictures, it looks like the bolt handle might be a little longer on the Forbes.

If you say that the Forbes stock is that much better than the Montana, I have no doubt that it is. But, the Kimber stock seems to be pretty good. All three of mine shoot just fine, good enough that I couldn't justify putting a few hundred dollars more into them to improve accuracy.

You really should buy more lotto tickets.
Some Kimbers shoot great out of the box, some need some adjustments. Most all can become shooters...
With a little work....
With a little work....
wink
Havent seen a Forbes in my area yet, sure would like to see one first. But I like what i Hear
With a little work....

Show us how it did...grin
Before....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

After....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

You really should buy more lotto tickets.

Never bought a lotto ticket in my life. Have you sold that POS Kimber yet?
That mimics my experience with my two Montanas. To put the icing on the cake, I have 54 loads that, for all intensive purposes, shoot to the same POI in my 223 Montana. Junk stock and all.
I'm going to elaborate a little here. Keep in mind that I'm not a Kimber basher as you read this post. I still like them and continue to buy them. In fact, in my hands nothing compares with how they feel. The Kimber 84m Montana is my preferred rifle above all others...

With that being said, I've seen more train wrecks from the factory with Kimber than any other maker. I'm on my 13th 84m....and this one was an epic [bleep] train wreck from the factory when I received it. Of the 13 I've purchased, 2 were good out of the box. I've given up on them many times in the past, but I keep going back soon after I throw another to my shoulder and say, "what if?".

I've concluded that they're going to need some tinkering to perform...period. I gave up on many in the past before I started asking questions to the right people. I received tons of advice and applied it accordingly.

I've learned that every new Kimber rifle needs a thorough check up. Often the slave bedding sucks, the mag boxes are bottoming out, the front action screw is too long, the crown "isn't" and the barrel is usually making contact somewhere in the channel.

I could scream at Kimber and ask why in the Hell can't they fix these problems before they let them leave the factory --- but I won't. I should probably thank them because they've taught more about rifle trouble shooting than I ever thought possible.

FWIW, I have another 223 Montana on order and I'm on the hunt for a Montana .473" donor.

Montana's are just too good of a basis for an awesome hunting rifle to NOT put in some good work on. I wouldn't care if I had to dremel the thing out and re-bed it, grind the mag-box down, lap/coat the bore, recrown, or rebarrel. Fact is, I kind of like dicking around with rifles, though I know it's not for everyone.

The things are perfectly light, stainless, feature an incredible stock, feed like a champ, and are just badass rifles on the whole. If you've got to put in 2 or 3 nights of tuning and connecting dots, you're still going to be ahead of the curve regarding $1,000 rifles, and that is a fact. Mine shot perfectly acceptable out of the box....

Damn.... just salivated a little.
Nice work with that one Darrik!

Sam -- did you see Tanner's post? I'm betting he'll be tripping something soon and bringing home another Montana!

After you get yours tomorrow and decide you want a sampler pack of bullets to play with give me a shout. I'm DEEP in 6mm and can send some your way. No sense in spending big $$$ if you want to try several different bullets.
Originally Posted by Tanner
Montana's are just too good of a basis for an awesome hunting rifle to NOT put in some good work on. I wouldn't care if I had to dremel the thing out and re-bed it, grind the mag-box down, lap/coat the bore, recrown, or rebarrel. Fact is, I kind of like dicking around with rifles, though I know it's not for everyone.

The things are perfectly light, stainless, feature an incredible stock, feed like a champ, and are just badass rifles on the whole. If you've got to put in 2 or 3 nights of tuning and connecting dots, you're still going to be ahead of the curve regarding $1,000 rifles, and that is a fact. Mine shot perfectly acceptable out of the box....

And you should be in gunsmith school. If I've ever seen a calling, you're it!
Sam -- did you see Tanner's post? I'm betting he'll be tripping something soon and bringing home another Montana!

After you get yours tomorrow and decide you want a sampler pack of bullets to play with give me a shout. I'm DEEP in 6mm and can send some your way. No sense in spending big $$$ if you want to try several different bullets.

Yes D, he's lovin' it....grin

I'm gonna bed right off the bat and check for any other issues.

Thanks for the bullet offer. Got a couple box's of the 95 BT's here and if they don't work I'll take you up on that!

And you should be in gunsmith school. If I've ever seen a calling, you're it!
If there were any schools around here or Fort Collins.... I'd be enrolled. But, alas...
Sammo,

If Darrik doesn't have 105's for you to spin, I do.
Thanks Marty, I'll let you guys know how it goes.
What do you guys think about shooting the Forbes rifle at range - let's say out to 700 yards?

Think she'll settle down enough for that to be a realistic and repeatable?

I know some of you think that's a chip shot, but I'm talking about real world situations when you're exhausted and cold. It took a few tricks to get my Lil sky (and me) to settle down the last two seasons. I killed, sure ... but it took serious concentration.
I think shooting a sub 8lb rifle accurately at 700 yards requires more concentration and attention paid to the fundamentals than anything, but I'd not buy one with the intent of shooting out to 700 how they've got them chambered now (yes, I know both a .270 and an '06 will make it to 700 fine). Soon as they pop out a few .280 A.I.'s and you can whistle 162 A-Maxes through them, then you'll be talking...

I had a NULA in .300 WSM and a heavy 17lb Bat actioned comp rifle. The NULA Had the mechanical accuracy to shoot out to and beyond 700 yards and I shot it out to 1000 as well. But it took your utmost concentration to do so. And the repeatable accuracy was very difficult to obtain. The bat however would group 10 shots almost always within 5 or 6" for 10 shots. Always! (Given conditions)
Not a fair comparison for sure, and the NULA is not made for 1000 or 700 yard shooting, but for normal hunting out to 500 or so with a rifle you can carry up a sheep mountain they are a pretty remarkable rifle.

Lefty
Originally Posted by petr
What do you guys think about shooting the Forbes rifle at range - let's say out to 700 yards?

Think she'll settle down enough for that to be a realistic and repeatable?

I know some of you think that's a chip shot, but I'm talking about real world situations when you're exhausted and cold. It took a few tricks to get my Lil sky (and me) to settle down the last two seasons. I killed, sure ... but it took serious concentration.

Seven hundreds yards for fun? Yes. For hunting? No. I'd rather use cover and the wind to get much closer.
However if the intended target was carrying a RPG or AK? Well then, windage and elevation!
Good info Lefty.... I totally agree.

The Kimber MT .270 WSM I had kind of mirrored leftycarbon's experience. The times I shot it at 1,000, I hit a 13" gong around 40%, with most misses coming horizontally. However, the same rifle would hang sub MOA at 550 yards consistently, with very acceptable vertical deviation.

I guess what it comes down to, is to explore your limits, and know your limits with every rifle you own.
Good info Lefty.... I totally agree.

The Kimber MT .270 WSM I had kind of mirrored leftycarbon's experience. The times I shot it at 1,000, I hit a 13" gong around 40%, with most misses coming horizontally. However, the same rifle would hang sub MOA at 550 yards consistently, with very acceptable vertical deviation.

I guess what it comes down to, is to explore your limits, and know your limits with every rifle you own.

One of the best things I ever did was start spinning turrets on a .270 cooper shooting 140 grain beger vld. I think it was JB who said to stop analyzing rifle gack and start shooting what you have. So I did. A lot. 600 is where I stop with that combo.

Cooper makes a great rifle but, that sucka is heavy and I'm tired of carrying it on 9 mile hikes.

Before....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

After....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Did you ever take delivery of that 7mm-08 from TAK?
Yes I did. The deal was smooth and he was up front about the issues. Actually, a pretty good guy to deal with. Kimber should be ashamed of the cluster [bleep] they let get out the door. His assessment was spot on.

I think I've got the rifle straightened out now........(see pics above)
I may have missed it somewhere, but what were the issues and the solutions?
Front action screw was too long and bottoming out under barrel, max box was binding (1/8" had to be removed from bottom of mag box) and the slave bedding sucked.

I'm betting the action was moving around after every shot (because of long screw, crap bedding and mag box binding. It was far from stress free. The tang would move when the rear action screw was loosened.

Kimber screwed the pooch with this one!

What'd that take you, an hour or two to figure out and resolve? And that dumphuck bittched about it for years?... crazy

I'd also wager his experience with Kimber would've been totally different had he not screwed with the crown.
I measure late night gun tinkering time in beers. I stretched this one out over about 18...

Personally, I still think Kimber should have fixed it. The reputation of their customer service department is worth more than an unsatisfied customer. The crown job looks great. He sent his Kimber work order in the box. The dumbazzez noted that they didn't perform any work to his "pistol".....all while verifying the serial number, make, chambering and model of the rifle. Maybe that's the problem -- they can't distinguish a rifle from a pistol. I bet their 7-08 1911 is a doozy!
I will add I really like Kimber rifles....it's Sergio and the rest of the azz hats that need to go. A company and their product is only as good as their employees...
I never dealt with Sergio, it was a woman when I sent my rifle back to them, but can't remember her name. She was great to work with, Sergio may need a kick in the ballz.
I will add I really like Kimber rifles....it's Sergio and the rest of the azz hats that need to go. A company and their product is only as good as their employees...

A big +1
A company and their product is only as good as their employees...

Truer words were never spoken, or written....
Yes I did. The deal was smooth and he was up front about the issues. Actually, a pretty good guy to deal with. Kimber should be ashamed of the cluster [bleep] they let get out the door. His assessment was spot on.

I think I've got the rifle straightened out now........(see pics above)
Good results! I just wish it hadn't worked out like that. I was hoping you'd re-tubed to 260 and I could buy it off you... wink

I'm picking up a well-used MT tonight, so I may be in touch on troubleshooting in the very near future.
Chambering?
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
What'd that take you, an hour or two to figure out and resolve? And that dumphuck bittched about it for years?... crazy

My sig line remains true to this day.
© 24hourcampfire