Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Sam -- did you see Tanner's post? I'm betting he'll be tripping something soon and bringing home another Montana!

After you get yours tomorrow and decide you want a sampler pack of bullets to play with give me a shout. I'm DEEP in 6mm and can send some your way. No sense in spending big $$$ if you want to try several different bullets.

Yes D, he's lovin' it....grin

I'm gonna bed right off the bat and check for any other issues.

Thanks for the bullet offer. Got a couple box's of the 95 BT's here and if they don't work I'll take you up on that!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tanner
Montana's are just too good of a basis for an awesome hunting rifle to NOT put in some good work on. I wouldn't care if I had to dremel the thing out and re-bed it, grind the mag-box down, lap/coat the bore, recrown, or rebarrel. Fact is, I kind of like dicking around with rifles, though I know it's not for everyone.

The things are perfectly light, stainless, feature an incredible stock, feed like a champ, and are just badass rifles on the whole. If you've got to put in 2 or 3 nights of tuning and connecting dots, you're still going to be ahead of the curve regarding $1,000 rifles, and that is a fact. Mine shot perfectly acceptable out of the box....

Damn.... just salivated a little.

And you should be in gunsmith school. If I've ever seen a calling, you're it!
If there were any schools around here or Fort Collins.... I'd be enrolled. But, alas...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sammo,

If Darrik doesn't have 105's for you to spin, I do.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Marty, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What do you guys think about shooting the Forbes rifle at range - let's say out to 700 yards?

Think she'll settle down enough for that to be a realistic and repeatable?

I know some of you think that's a chip shot, but I'm talking about real world situations when you're exhausted and cold. It took a few tricks to get my Lil sky (and me) to settle down the last two seasons. I killed, sure ... but it took serious concentration.

Last edited by petr; 03/25/13.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think shooting a sub 8lb rifle accurately at 700 yards requires more concentration and attention paid to the fundamentals than anything, but I'd not buy one with the intent of shooting out to 700 how they've got them chambered now (yes, I know both a .270 and an '06 will make it to 700 fine). Soon as they pop out a few .280 A.I.'s and you can whistle 162 A-Maxes through them, then you'll be talking...

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I had a NULA in .300 WSM and a heavy 17lb Bat actioned comp rifle. The NULA Had the mechanical accuracy to shoot out to and beyond 700 yards and I shot it out to 1000 as well. But it took your utmost concentration to do so. And the repeatable accuracy was very difficult to obtain. The bat however would group 10 shots almost always within 5 or 6" for 10 shots. Always! (Given conditions)
Not a fair comparison for sure, and the NULA is not made for 1000 or 700 yard shooting, but for normal hunting out to 500 or so with a rifle you can carry up a sheep mountain they are a pretty remarkable rifle.

Lefty

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by petr
What do you guys think about shooting the Forbes rifle at range - let's say out to 700 yards?

Think she'll settle down enough for that to be a realistic and repeatable?

I know some of you think that's a chip shot, but I'm talking about real world situations when you're exhausted and cold. It took a few tricks to get my Lil sky (and me) to settle down the last two seasons. I killed, sure ... but it took serious concentration.

Seven hundreds yards for fun? Yes. For hunting? No. I'd rather use cover and the wind to get much closer.
However if the intended target was carrying a RPG or AK? Well then, windage and elevation!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good info Lefty.... I totally agree.

The Kimber MT .270 WSM I had kind of mirrored leftycarbon's experience. The times I shot it at 1,000, I hit a 13" gong around 40%, with most misses coming horizontally. However, the same rifle would hang sub MOA at 550 yards consistently, with very acceptable vertical deviation.

I guess what it comes down to, is to explore your limits, and know your limits with every rifle you own.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tanner
Good info Lefty.... I totally agree.

The Kimber MT .270 WSM I had kind of mirrored leftycarbon's experience. The times I shot it at 1,000, I hit a 13" gong around 40%, with most misses coming horizontally. However, the same rifle would hang sub MOA at 550 yards consistently, with very acceptable vertical deviation.

I guess what it comes down to, is to explore your limits, and know your limits with every rifle you own.

One of the best things I ever did was start spinning turrets on a .270 cooper shooting 140 grain beger vld. I think it was JB who said to stop analyzing rifle gack and start shooting what you have. So I did. A lot. 600 is where I stop with that combo.

Cooper makes a great rifle but, that sucka is heavy and I'm tired of carrying it on 9 mile hikes.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Before....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

After....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Did you ever take delivery of that 7mm-08 from TAK?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yes I did. The deal was smooth and he was up front about the issues. Actually, a pretty good guy to deal with. Kimber should be ashamed of the cluster [bleep] they let get out the door. His assessment was spot on.

I think I've got the rifle straightened out now........(see pics above)

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I may have missed it somewhere, but what were the issues and the solutions?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Front action screw was too long and bottoming out under barrel, max box was binding (1/8" had to be removed from bottom of mag box) and the slave bedding sucked.

I'm betting the action was moving around after every shot (because of long screw, crap bedding and mag box binding. It was far from stress free. The tang would move when the rear action screw was loosened.

Kimber screwed the pooch with this one!

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
What'd that take you, an hour or two to figure out and resolve? And that dumphuck bittched about it for years?... crazy

I'd also wager his experience with Kimber would've been totally different had he not screwed with the crown.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I measure late night gun tinkering time in beers. I stretched this one out over about 18...

Personally, I still think Kimber should have fixed it. The reputation of their customer service department is worth more than an unsatisfied customer. The crown job looks great. He sent his Kimber work order in the box. The dumbazzez noted that they didn't perform any work to his "pistol".....all while verifying the serial number, make, chambering and model of the rifle. Maybe that's the problem -- they can't distinguish a rifle from a pistol. I bet their 7-08 1911 is a doozy!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I will add I really like Kimber rifles....it's Sergio and the rest of the azz hats that need to go. A company and their product is only as good as their employees...

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I never dealt with Sergio, it was a woman when I sent my rifle back to them, but can't remember her name. She was great to work with, Sergio may need a kick in the ballz.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I will add I really like Kimber rifles....it's Sergio and the rest of the azz hats that need to go. A company and their product is only as good as their employees...

A big +1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A company and their product is only as good as their employees...

Truer words were never spoken, or written....

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1minute, 65 invisible), 2,348 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,706
Posts18,513,879
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.