Home
Posted By: JerradPelzer Cooper Rifles? - 11/17/13
Don't know much about these Cooper rifles except everyone that has them says they shoot extremely well. Are they worth the money or do you just have Eddie,Karl or one of the other guys on here build you one for similar money? I picked an Excalibur up today at Scheels and seemed like a nice gun. THnink they use a bell and Carlson stock on syn models. Just curious what you guys experience with them are. Thanks Jerrad
Posted By: Bogtrotter Re: Cooper Rifles? - 11/17/13
I have two and like 'em! My hunting buddy just ordered his second. If they float your boat go with it. They are well made, and have a short bolt thro, wich I like. Mine shoot very well, most of the people that own them report the same.
Posted By: Gristle Re: Cooper Rifles? - 11/17/13
Any guesses on how long it would take to get one from Cooper if you ordered one?
Posted By: T_Inman Re: Cooper Rifles? - 11/18/13
I don't think Cooper is too backed up on orders right now. That said, I don't know how long their turn around time is. Their rifles have almost a cult like following, though I am a bigger fan of Dakota Arms myself.

I am typing this less than two miles from the Cooper factory. I drove by on the highway about a half-hour ago, and they have about 50 elk all around the place. 1 small spike bull with some stickers was in there, but still was not legal.
Posted By: 405wcf Re: Cooper Rifles? - 11/18/13
Originally Posted by JerradPelzer
Are they worth the money or do you just have Eddie,Karl or one of the other guys on here build you one for similar money?

Don't Coopers sell for around $1500? In my experience, a custom from a known accuracy 'smith will set you back close to double that amount.

One of my friends has a couple Coopers and they are extremely accurate.
Posted By: canoetrpr Re: Cooper Rifles? - 11/18/13
I have one and another on the way. The other has been ~7 months now. I'm told should be here any time. I would figure 6-7 months if you want something custom and at their prices you might as well get exactly what you want.

I like their rifles with wood and a stainless steel barrel rather than blue; not something easily found in stock here in Canada. So I ordered what I wanted.

The only concern I have is that they are a bit on the heavier side; really depends on what you are planning to do with it.
Posted By: 8SNAKE Re: Cooper Rifles? - 11/18/13
In my experience and opinion, Coopers are a bargain for what you get. With that said, mine are Model 21 and 22 varmint rifles. I haven't used or owned an Excalibur yet.

It's worth mentioning that I rarely find someone with just one Cooper and even fewer who aren't planning for their next one.
Posted By: RowdyYates Re: Cooper Rifles? - 11/18/13
I have 2 and love 'em, although they were purchased back when Coopers were actually a bit of a value (now you have to figure the rising prices are probably going to more corporate executives' pay and perks.)
Go to GunsAmerica.com's Cooper section and check out First Stop Gun's offerings. They have good prices and a fair selection of ready-made rifles. Whittaker's in Ky. usually has a few, also, if you check their website.
Posted By: Bogtrotter Re: Cooper Rifles? - 11/18/13
Originally Posted by 405wcf
Are they worth the money or do you just have Eddie,Karl or one of the other guys on here build you one for similar money?

Don't Coopers sell for around $1500? In my experience, a custom from a known accuracy 'smith will set you back close to double that amount.

One of my friends has a couple Coopers and they are extremely accurate.

My buddy is picking up his .308 Excaliber today, it was $2350.00 thru Michigun. The classics run $1950.00, or so.
Posted By: Talf Re: Cooper Rifles? - 11/18/13
Scheels all sports in Montana stocks a dozen + different Coopers on the sales floor.
No wait at all, pick the one you want and put your dollars down.. Thats how and where I bought mine..
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Cooper Rifles? - 11/18/13
I had a few "bumps" with my first Cooper. I had problems getting it to shoot 1 MOA. While shooting my stock had developed a hole in the comb of it. I contacted Cooper and was informed it was an air bubble that had been painted over. They sent me a shipping label and took care of the issue. They did not have the stocks on hand so their was some delay in the amount of close to 2-3 months.

I contacted Cooper about the rifle having a hard time shooting MOA and the tech did not have much to offer other than to let him know if I get it resolved?

Well I ended up finding a decent load with a max load of H414 and 140 TTSX! I also discovered this rifle likes to be fouled slightly or it will shoot 2-3 inch groups with a clean barrel. The barrel is the easiest to clean rifle I have ever owned. I have since had a few light primer strikes with it? Not sure if it is the rifle or a bad lot of WLR primers?

For the money I can buy a firearm that is much less expensive and get 1-1.25 groups with it.

Worth the money maybe, maybe not? I was disenchanted that it took quite some time and components to get it to shoot. That being said Cooper has great customer service and answers the phone when you call and will respond back to emails. I don't know if I got a "lemon" but expected a little more for the price I paid!

I am still thinking that down the road I will pick up a 7 rem mag or 308 from Cooper but haven't decided completely yet! I hope to shoot some animals this season with it to lift the curse?
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Cooper Rifles? - 11/18/13
Bought my .204 from Scheels in Grand Forks ND. They are a stocking dealer. Good folks. I think everyone should own at least one Cooper.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Cooper Rifles? - 11/19/13
Congrats!
Posted By: orion03 Re: Cooper Rifles? - 11/19/13
Have a 21 in 204 that's a tack driver and fit and finish is impeccable.
Posted By: Bogtrotter Re: Cooper Rifles? - 11/19/13
Essox, That is to bad about your experience with Cooper. As i have found over the years every company can send out a dud now and then. It's all about how many the let out the door and how they handle it when the customer lets them know. If you are unhappy with the rifle, I would let them know, and see what they can do for you. mine shoot alot better, than what you report, I wouldn't be happy either.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Cooper Rifles? - 11/19/13
Thanks Bogtrotter, It was just my "one" experience with their rifle. There are 10 plus more experiences that were great, so I don't discount Cooper products. Just disappointed at my experience.

I believe I found a load that will do quite well in this rifle. Yes fit and finish are great on these rifles. The triggers are the nicest I have felt on any rifle and are easy to adjust! They are also very light for the rifle and package.

This was my first Cooper and 7mm-08 caliber. I can't say I won't try another one down the line. I have my eye on a 308 or 7 rem mag.

The customer service has been great! Better than most companies and they actually listen! The tech was not helpful, and quoted me Sierra Reloader Manual info and the 130 SMK with IMR 4064 but as I explained this was for hunting and would not use a bullet not made for hunting. I guess I could take all head shots with it, if it shot as great as the test target ;o)?

I felt confident I could have had them recheck the firearm, but it has been to the factory once and didn't want to send her off again.....yet. I did manage to find two loads that are starting to be consistent and accurate, so here is to hoping!

Good Shooting.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Cooper Rifles? - 11/19/13
I find it odd that Cooper provides a target with every rifle, shot at 50 yards, with match grade target ammo, for a non target rifle. Maybe it's just me.
Posted By: lastround Re: Cooper Rifles? - 11/19/13
Cooper Model 54 Excaliber SS 7mm-08

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Above: 120 gr. TTSX

[Linked Image]

Above: 140 gr. Nosler Partition

[Linked Image]

I am pretty much satisfied with mine.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Cooper Rifles? - 11/19/13
Nice rig lastround. No offense towards you or Cooper rifles, and as a matter of fact I'd like to have one, but my T3 7-08 shoots like that with 120 BT's and 140 AB's.
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: Cooper Rifles? - 11/19/13
Lastround: very nice
Posted By: lastround Re: Cooper Rifles? - 11/19/13
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Nice rig lastround. No offense towards you or Cooper rifles, and as a matter of fact I'd like to have one, but my T3 7-08 shoots like that with 120 BT's and 140 AB's.

I have read lots of reports on the accuracy of T3s. Not saying Coopers are the best or the most accurate out there, just answering the OPs question. However, this is the second Excaliber 7mm-08 I have had (first was blued) and both shot lights out. The one pictured also shoots 120 gr. BTs into way less than an inch, I just didn't post the picture.
Posted By: 8SNAKE Re: Cooper Rifles? - 11/19/13
I find it odd that Cooper provides a target with every rifle, shot at 50 yards, with match grade target ammo, for a non target rifle. Maybe it's just me.

I don't think they're all shot with match-grade bullets? It is my understanding that the distance was a result of limitations Cooper had to construct its indoor range many years ago, but perhaps that has changed with the new facility?
Posted By: 8SNAKE Re: Cooper Rifles? - 11/19/13

Plenty of Savage rifles will shoot like that, too. They just don't have the feel or fit & finish of a Tikka or Cooper. If your only concern is tiny groups, there are cheaper ways to get there than a Cooper.
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: Cooper Rifles? - 11/19/13
I've owned every rifle brand mentioned on this thread. While toting a Savage or Tikka, I've never had anyone ask to see my rifle -- never.

The same can't be said while toting a Cooper.
Posted By: RDW Re: Cooper Rifles? - 11/20/13

It's not odd at all, it was intentional so that people point it out in every Cooper thread providing more exposure and selling more rifles.

Well played JG!
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: Cooper Rifles? - 11/20/13
Let's not ignore the fact that they offer a "1/2" at 100" guarantee. I've owned a couple and that guarantee was easily met -- with hunting bullets.

Don't know much about these Cooper rifles except everyone that has them says they shoot extremely well. Are they worth the money or do you just have Eddie,Karl or one of the other guys on here build you one for similar money? I picked an Excalibur up today at Scheels and seemed like a nice gun. THnink they use a bell and Carlson stock on syn models. Just curious what you guys experience with them are. Thanks Jerrad

The 50 yard target provided with my Cooper 22 is dated 3/6/03, handload, 180gr Speer, H380 and the carbon mark is .362" at the widest. The target was nice but as SAS points out above, Cooper guaranteed 1/2" 100 yard groups when I was looking to buy a new rifle.

At the time they did not offer a repeater and they did not offer stainless barrels much less stainless actions. The wood was beautiful and the craftsmanship at that time, much better than Kimber and no other manufacturer was even in the running.

A few targets after switching over to Varget and 155 Scenar's, the previous decade looked the same with 4064 and 168 SMK's or Nosler J4's.

The text may not be readable but those loads vary in charge weight and beat the guarantee easily at 100 yards. I have not had time to tune the 155 Scenar load at long range but the last time I shot it the results are 2.8" at 300 yards. I bet with some fine tuning it will hold MOA to 600.

The straight taper barreled Classic would not be my choice today, but fine in the Varminter, I would certainly give the Excalibur some thought. Also, Cooper will install a new barrel at a dang good price.

[Linked Image]

They'll install one for free if you shoot yours out. I've been told that in more than one question and answer phone call with them.

That's a pretty good deal too!
I noticed the Excalibur did not have options, but the Jackson Hunter 54 has the stainless barrel option with an estimated weight of 6.5 pounds and offered in 260, 6.5 Creed and 6.4x47 Lapua with an 8 twist laugh
Posted By: Esox357 Re: Cooper Rifles? - 11/20/13
I noticed it also?
Posted By: VaHunter Re: Cooper Rifles? - 11/20/13
Cooper built me an Excalibur with a stainless fluted barrel a few years ago, and it was not listed as an option then.

Call them and ask, they seem to be fairly flexible.
Originally Posted by RDW
I noticed the Excalibur did not have options, but the Jackson Hunter 54 has the stainless barrel option with an estimated weight of 6.5 pounds and offered in 260, 6.5 Creed and 6.4x47 Lapua with an 8 twist laugh

The Excalibur has options. The website sucks. Shoot them an email or give them a call. You can get the all stainless option, custom serial numbers, different paint colors for the stock and they even have some special twist options. Example: they'll do a 22-250AI with an 8" twist. They confirmed that in an email.

They'll also give you the barrel length you desire. The more options you choose, the more money you spend.
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Cooper Rifles? - 11/20/13
Don't forget the 1/2 MOA guarantee from TC.
Posted By: geedubya Re: Cooper Rifles? - 11/20/13
As you can see, I'm kinda biased......

[Linked Image]

top to bottom, all Classics, model 22, 257 Roberts AI, Model 22 6mm BR Remington, Model 21, 223 Rem., Model 21, 222 Rem., Model 21, Tactical 20.

And,at my age, a man can't have too much wood!

[Linked Image]

so take what I say with a grain of salt!

A couple posts in regards to Coopers......

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...earch/true/Re_Cooper_54_7_08#Post7914493

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8192644/1

Best,

GWB

Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Cooper Rifles? - 11/20/13
Originally Posted by RowdyYates
...Whittaker's in Ky. usually has a few, also, if you check their website...

Have lived in KY all my life. Never heard of Whittakers. May have to head that way, do some gun shopping and grab a little Bar-b-que at Moonlight while we are at it... Thanks for the heads up...
Whittaker's is the largest store in the state. Last inventory had them at around 11,000 guns in stock. Fortunately -- or unfortunately -- I live about 7 miles from the shop. I usually stop by 3-4 times a week.

Although they have several (30-40) Cooper's on the shelf, they don't currently have any 54 Excaliburs. They do have a few Jackson Game rifles on the 54 platform though. They don't update the website on new inventory, just used rifles. Call or drive over, it would be worth the trip.

FWIW -- they probably have 75 Dakota's on the shelf too.
Posted By: Goats260 Re: Cooper Rifles? - 11/21/13
http://www.covecreekoutfitters.com/brands/Cooper-Firearms.html?page=2&sort=featured
Just 2 examples of what they have now and I have purchased one of my Excalibur's from them. They are worth a look. I have 2 Excalibur's and both shoot 1/2 inch.

Cooper Firearms Model 52 Excalibur 280 AI

$1,899.99

Cooper Firearms Model 52 Excalibur 30-06

$1,899.99

Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Cooper Rifles? - 11/22/13
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
They'll install one for free if you shoot yours out. I've been told that in more than one question and answer phone call with them.

That's a pretty good deal too!

That was not the case when I toasted a Swift tube a few years back. 04 Manufacture, re-tubed by cooper in 08. You pay for the tube, they INSTALL it no charge. laugh

It wasn't free by any stretch.

© 24hourcampfire