Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Don't know much about these Cooper rifles except everyone that has them says they shoot extremely well. Are they worth the money or do you just have Eddie,Karl or one of the other guys on here build you one for similar money? I picked an Excalibur up today at Scheels and seemed like a nice gun. THnink they use a bell and Carlson stock on syn models. Just curious what you guys experience with them are. Thanks Jerrad

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have two and like 'em! My hunting buddy just ordered his second. If they float your boat go with it. They are well made, and have a short bolt thro, wich I like. Mine shoot very well, most of the people that own them report the same.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any guesses on how long it would take to get one from Cooper if you ordered one?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't think Cooper is too backed up on orders right now. That said, I don't know how long their turn around time is. Their rifles have almost a cult like following, though I am a bigger fan of Dakota Arms myself.

I am typing this less than two miles from the Cooper factory. I drove by on the highway about a half-hour ago, and they have about 50 elk all around the place. 1 small spike bull with some stickers was in there, but still was not legal.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JerradPelzer
Are they worth the money or do you just have Eddie,Karl or one of the other guys on here build you one for similar money?

Don't Coopers sell for around $1500? In my experience, a custom from a known accuracy 'smith will set you back close to double that amount.

One of my friends has a couple Coopers and they are extremely accurate.

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have one and another on the way. The other has been ~7 months now. I'm told should be here any time. I would figure 6-7 months if you want something custom and at their prices you might as well get exactly what you want.

I like their rifles with wood and a stainless steel barrel rather than blue; not something easily found in stock here in Canada. So I ordered what I wanted.

The only concern I have is that they are a bit on the heavier side; really depends on what you are planning to do with it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In my experience and opinion, Coopers are a bargain for what you get. With that said, mine are Model 21 and 22 varmint rifles. I haven't used or owned an Excalibur yet.

It's worth mentioning that I rarely find someone with just one Cooper and even fewer who aren't planning for their next one.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have 2 and love 'em, although they were purchased back when Coopers were actually a bit of a value (now you have to figure the rising prices are probably going to more corporate executives' pay and perks.)
Go to GunsAmerica.com's Cooper section and check out First Stop Gun's offerings. They have good prices and a fair selection of ready-made rifles. Whittaker's in Ky. usually has a few, also, if you check their website.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 405wcf
Originally Posted by JerradPelzer
Are they worth the money or do you just have Eddie,Karl or one of the other guys on here build you one for similar money?

Don't Coopers sell for around $1500? In my experience, a custom from a known accuracy 'smith will set you back close to double that amount.

One of my friends has a couple Coopers and they are extremely accurate.

My buddy is picking up his .308 Excaliber today, it was $2350.00 thru Michigun. The classics run $1950.00, or so.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Scheels all sports in Montana stocks a dozen + different Coopers on the sales floor.
No wait at all, pick the one you want and put your dollars down.. Thats how and where I bought mine..

Last edited by Talf; 11/18/13.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a few "bumps" with my first Cooper. I had problems getting it to shoot 1 MOA. While shooting my stock had developed a hole in the comb of it. I contacted Cooper and was informed it was an air bubble that had been painted over. They sent me a shipping label and took care of the issue. They did not have the stocks on hand so their was some delay in the amount of close to 2-3 months.

I contacted Cooper about the rifle having a hard time shooting MOA and the tech did not have much to offer other than to let him know if I get it resolved?

Well I ended up finding a decent load with a max load of H414 and 140 TTSX! I also discovered this rifle likes to be fouled slightly or it will shoot 2-3 inch groups with a clean barrel. The barrel is the easiest to clean rifle I have ever owned. I have since had a few light primer strikes with it? Not sure if it is the rifle or a bad lot of WLR primers?

For the money I can buy a firearm that is much less expensive and get 1-1.25 groups with it.

Worth the money maybe, maybe not? I was disenchanted that it took quite some time and components to get it to shoot. That being said Cooper has great customer service and answers the phone when you call and will respond back to emails. I don't know if I got a "lemon" but expected a little more for the price I paid!

I am still thinking that down the road I will pick up a 7 rem mag or 308 from Cooper but haven't decided completely yet! I hope to shoot some animals this season with it to lift the curse?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bought my .204 from Scheels in Grand Forks ND. They are a stocking dealer. Good folks. I think everyone should own at least one Cooper.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have a 21 in 204 that's a tack driver and fit and finish is impeccable.

`Bring Enough Gun`
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Essox, That is to bad about your experience with Cooper. As i have found over the years every company can send out a dud now and then. It's all about how many the let out the door and how they handle it when the customer lets them know. If you are unhappy with the rifle, I would let them know, and see what they can do for you. mine shoot alot better, than what you report, I wouldn't be happy either.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Bogtrotter, It was just my "one" experience with their rifle. There are 10 plus more experiences that were great, so I don't discount Cooper products. Just disappointed at my experience.

I believe I found a load that will do quite well in this rifle. Yes fit and finish are great on these rifles. The triggers are the nicest I have felt on any rifle and are easy to adjust! They are also very light for the rifle and package.

This was my first Cooper and 7mm-08 caliber. I can't say I won't try another one down the line. I have my eye on a 308 or 7 rem mag.

The customer service has been great! Better than most companies and they actually listen! The tech was not helpful, and quoted me Sierra Reloader Manual info and the 130 SMK with IMR 4064 but as I explained this was for hunting and would not use a bullet not made for hunting. I guess I could take all head shots with it, if it shot as great as the test target ;o)?

I felt confident I could have had them recheck the firearm, but it has been to the factory once and didn't want to send her off again.....yet. I did manage to find two loads that are starting to be consistent and accurate, so here is to hoping!

Good Shooting.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I find it odd that Cooper provides a target with every rifle, shot at 50 yards, with match grade target ammo, for a non target rifle. Maybe it's just me.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cooper Model 54 Excaliber SS 7mm-08

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Above: 120 gr. TTSX

[Linked Image]

Above: 140 gr. Nosler Partition

[Linked Image]

I am pretty much satisfied with mine.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Nice rig lastround. No offense towards you or Cooper rifles, and as a matter of fact I'd like to have one, but my T3 7-08 shoots like that with 120 BT's and 140 AB's.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Lastround: very nice

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

63 members (badwolf, BDR1, beefan, batch, 10 invisible), 1,430 guests, and 914 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,056
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.