Home
Posted By: Dogslife57 Nosler rifle opinions ? - 04/18/16
Who has one or shot one? Looking at one in a standard caliber.
Posted By: Dogslife57 Re: Nosler rifle opinions ? - 04/18/16
What scope bases and mounts fit these? Anybody Know LOP? Thanks.
Posted By: oldguns Re: Nosler rifle opinions ? - 04/18/16
I'm curious about the Nosler 48 also
One of the best rifles made. Mine is chambered in 6.5x284. Takes standard Remington bases and rings. Feeds like glass, shoots sub 1/2" with 140gr Accubonds over H4831SC.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Nosler rifle opinions ? - 04/18/16
Does the safety lock the bolt?
Posted By: STS45 Re: Nosler rifle opinions ? - 04/18/16
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264
One of the best rifles made. Mine is chambered in 6.5x284. Takes standard Remington bases and rings. Feeds like glass, shoots sub 1/2" with 140gr Accubonds over H4831SC.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This was my experience with a Nolser Outfitter in 35 Whelen. It's feeding was extremely smooth, good trigger, and excellent accuracy. I would not hesitate to buy another Nolser Rifle.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Nosler rifle opinions ? - 04/18/16
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Curious about this myself.
The stocks just look a little goofy to me with the rear of the stock at an upward angle.
Posted By: geedubya Re: Nosler rifle opinions ? - 04/18/16
Originally Posted by bwinters

No!

I've had the Custom Sporters in 325 WSM and 270 WSM. Recently picked up a Patriot in 7mm-08.

All shooters. I got the Patriot used from JG Raider who posts here. Don't know if he or he had the trigger adjusted but it is sweet.

The 325 WSM was my go to hog thumper for several years.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

JAPPFT,

GWB
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Nosler rifle opinions ? - 04/18/16
In other words, just another dressed up, glorified, 700 action. Hope the safety, extractor and bolt handle are different. Still, can't understand any rifle that one cannot lock the bolt..Pass
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Nosler rifle opinions ? - 04/18/16
Geedub my friend.......yes, trigger slightly adjusted and I agree.....that is a sweeeet rig all the way around, and as you say, a real shooter. Glad to see you're putting it to good use whacking the vermin down there.

Keep up the good work!
JG
Posted By: Dogslife57 Re: Nosler rifle opinions ? - 04/18/16
Thanks for the responses.
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Nosler rifle opinions ? - 04/18/16
In other words, just another dressed up, glorified, 700 action. Hope the safety, extractor and bolt handle are different. Still, can't understand any rifle that one cannot lock the bolt..Pass

Believe they are glorified HOWA actions with a few changes. The stock design is horrendous for me.

A normal cheek weld resulted in very little of the bottom of the stock contacting my shoulder. If I pulled it down to where it should be, i had to lay my head over to see through the scope.

I have this problem with other brands as well, so it's not just Nosler.

The scope was mounted in high rings as well.

May fit some fine, just odd design.
Posted By: HuntNRef Re: Nosler rifle opinions ? - 04/18/16
Originally Posted by bwinters

On Nosler's website, their custom rifles are available with a 3 position safety (rocker type with bolt lock) for $50 extra.

I fondled a M48 (Patriot or Liberty?) in 26 Nosler at the store the other day, but it was heavy. The website lists them at reasonable weights though? I am also interested in a standard caliber version.
If you think for one second they are, "Glorified Howas" please think again. Nosler Patriots are ten times the rifle a Howa is, in both asthetics and quality. Noslers customer service is also top-notch, which to me is worth every penny. The Nosler Patriots have a match grade barrel, and great trigger. They feed reliably and I am happy to say I own one of their rifles. I own many many top notch rifles, I tend to reach for my Nosler Rifle in 6.5x284 more than the others....just saying.

Posted By: WhelenAway Re: Nosler rifle opinions ? - 04/18/16
I agree. They are a very nice rifle.

The stock doesn't seem to fit everybody well, but I had no issues with it on the Outfitter 338WM that I had.

Barrels are PacNor, and fit and finish are top notch.

I would buy another, without a doubt.

Posted By: bellydeep Re: Nosler rifle opinions ? - 04/18/16
Even if they are a glorified Howa, that ain't a bad thing.
Posted By: Capt_Craig Re: Nosler rifle opinions ? - 04/18/16
I agree, awesome rifle, very accurate, nice looking, and well put together. I have a TGR (Trophy Grade Rifle) in 7-08 that I bought from a guy unfired. Had it for a few years now, hunted it a few times, and took a few deer and hogs with it. Super easy to find accurate loads. Shot Nosler factory 140 AB well less than one inch, also shot factory Fusions and hand loaded Barnes TTSX 120s equally well with the accuracy edge going to the TTSXs but the stock just doesn't fit me well. Recently bought a Kimber MT in the same cal and was thinking of selling mine. Just haven't had a chance to get some pics up with a price. If it fit me better it would never leave, but at lest for me, the Montanas fit me way better. Strongly recommended.

Thanks,
Craig
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Nosler rifle opinions ? - 04/19/16
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Even if they are a glorified Howa, that ain't a bad thing.

THIS. And the Howas's safety locks the action in both of mine. I am sure they are very well-made rifles, but the non-locking bolt is a no-starter for me.
Posted By: 25aught6 Re: Nosler rifle opinions ? - 04/19/16
As I understand it just about everything on a Nosler rifle is outsourced. If that is the case and you want a rifle with the components that you choose, to fit your needs.... Why not apply those funds to your own build?
Posted By: geedubya Re: Nosler rifle opinions ? - 04/19/16
I've owned prolly 200 bolt action rifles. Only had one "built". I buy used "purpose built" customs for 1/3 to 1/2 of what the original owner paid. I can get a Nosler in a couple days at a price significanly lower than a custom.
As far as bolt locking on safety. No big deal. I don't carry a rifle with a shell in the chamber. My type of hunting that's a factor that is no consequence to me.
As always, different stroke for different folks.
As I used to say with Coopers. Don't like em', don't buy em'. Leaves more for me to buy, cheap.

[Linked Image]

JAPPFT,

GWB
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Nosler rifle opinions ? - 04/19/16
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264
If you think for one second they are, "Glorified Howas" please think again. Nosler Patriots are ten times the rifle a Howa is, in both asthetics and quality. Noslers customer service is also top-notch, which to me is worth every penny. The Nosler Patriots have a match grade barrel, and great trigger. They feed reliably and I am happy to say I own one of their rifles. I own many many top notch rifles, I tend to reach for my Nosler Rifle in 6.5x284 more than the others....just saying.

I think for one second you can't comprehend very well.

Re-read my comment. Jorge asked if it was a glorified 700 action.

I responded it was a glorified Howa action.... which it is. Not knocking it, just letting Jorge know it wasn't a 700 clone- That it was a Howa clone. smirk
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Nosler rifle opinions ? - 04/19/16
Actually, he didn't ask if it was a glorified Howa action. He posted:
"In other words, just another dressed up, glorified, 700 action."
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Nosler rifle opinions ? - 04/19/16
CZ_IN_AK,

The basic actions for Nosler rifles are investment cast near Portland, Oregon to Nosler's specs, and the final machining done by Nosler at their facilities. So no, they are not "out-sourced."

The barrels are Pac-Nor (also made in Oregon) and the stocks from various makers, but the final fitting and assembly is all done by Nosler.

You can do whatever you want, but if you add up all the parts in a Nosler, plus the Cerakoting, triggers, "blue-printing" of the action, etc. they are a pretty good deal.

Of course, you are free to build whatever you want. But Nosler rifles are more efficiently produced than anybody can build one rifle at a time, so do represent a good value. Which is what people who have actually owned and shot them have been saying here.

Posted By: Capt_Craig Re: Nosler rifle opinions ? - 04/19/16
Just an FYI, if anyone is interested in a 7mm-08 TGR, I just posted mine for sale in the classifieds.

Thanks,
Craig
Posted By: WhelenAway Re: Nosler rifle opinions ? - 04/19/16
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
I agree. They are a very nice rifle.

The stock doesn't seem to fit everybody well, but I had no issues with it on the Outfitter 338WM that I had.

Barrels are PacNor, and fit and finish are top notch.

I would buy another, without a doubt.

BTW, the 338 Outfitter I had didn't go far.

My son wanted it for an elk hunt as soon as he saw it, and he bought it at my cost.

He has a way of adopting some of my best rifles.

Kind-of a standing joke; I do all the shopping, and he reaps the benefits frown
Posted By: jeeper Re: Nosler rifle opinions ? - 04/19/16
How generous is the the mag well on Nosler short actions ?
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Nosler rifle opinions ? - 04/20/16
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Actually, he didn't ask if it was a glorified Howa action. He posted:
"In other words, just another dressed up, glorified, 700 action."

If you can't understand my response either, then I'm afraid your schit out of luck too mule head.

Posted By: jorgeI Re: Nosler rifle opinions ? - 04/20/16
So I take it one can order one with a safety that locks the bolt for extra cost?
Posted By: HuntNRef Re: Nosler rifle opinions ? - 04/20/16
It looks like that's the case, but then only if you order a custom Nosler rifle ($2500+). I can't find where you can get the bolt lock option with the $1800 stock rifle (even with a pre-order).
OK, thanks. That's too bad, they look like pretty nice rifles. For Tuperware types anyway smile
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Nosler rifle opinions ? - 04/20/16
..but the non-locking bolt is a no-starter for me.

Why is that? I have friends who believe the opposite.
Personal preference, virtually every other rifle in the bcivilized world works that way and because too many times I've witnessed bolts come open whilst walking in the woods and the chambered round come out.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Nosler rifle opinions ? - 04/20/16
Originally Posted by Reloder28

For my 2 cents. I am left handed but right eye dominant. I feel more comfortable with the rifle slung over my left shoulder. A non-bolt locking push feed rifle ends up with an open bolt and an empty magazine.

I had to carry a borrowed Rem 700 .30-06 on a moose hunt a couple years ago after United routed my rifle to east BF. It cemented my opinion on this.
Posted By: EdM Re: Nosler rifle opinions ? - 04/20/16
Originally Posted by Pugs

For my 2 cents. I am left handed but right eye dominant. I feel more comfortable with the rifle slung over my left shoulder. A non-bolt locking push feed rifle ends up with an open bolt and an empty magazine.

I had to carry a borrowed Rem 700 .30-06 on a moose hunt a couple years ago after United routed my rifle to east BF. It cemented my opinion on this.

I have never been able to make that happen on the push feeds I have owned. Also, it is a rare time when I am walking with a round chambered.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Nosler rifle opinions ? - 04/20/16
Originally Posted by EdM

I have never been able to make that happen on the push feeds I have owned. Also, it is a rare time when I am walking with a round chambered.

Ed. I can only pass my experience. I don't hunt with a round in the chamber either. After it happened I ended up hunting with an empty magazine with the rounds in my pocket. Worked out fine for me, not so good for the moose grin but with solid alternatives I see no reason to go with a non-bolt locking rifle.
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Nosler rifle opinions ? - 04/20/16
Reviews are very good, and they have some interesting cartridges. I was looking at a new rifle about 2 months ago and considered a Nosler. I got to handle one a an LGS, and it did not work for me, a bit heavy, front heavy, and the stock fit was a bit off for myself. Seemed well made and everything looked good. A bit expensive as well. It was a Patriot model.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Nosler rifle opinions ? - 04/21/16
I ALWAYS hint with a round in the chamber and safety engaged. In Africa, not only does the PH insist on it, but when you are hunting big stuff, the reason is obvious. Still, I am considering one of these, as long as I can pay to have the locking bolt option installed. No issues whatsoever with a PF action.
Posted By: Techsan Re: Nosler rifle opinions ? - 04/21/16
I assume folks who never walk with a round in the chamber hunt strictly from stands/blinds, and don't care about missing an opportunity at game walking to/from said stand/blind.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Nosler rifle opinions ? - 04/21/16
Originally Posted by Techsan
I assume folks who never walk with a round in the chamber hunt strictly from stands/blinds, and don't care about missing an opportunity at game walking to/from said stand/blind.

Good call bringing up a noncontriversal topic. grin That's a pretty long thread from some time ago.

I have not lost a shot still hunting with a cold chamber in WA, ID, KY, MD, VA, TX, FL or TN. I'm sure there are places that it's a factor but I haven't seen it yet. I often do chamber a round if I am in a stand.

Once I start hunting in the deep woods in NH/ME I reserve the right to change my opinion. whistle

Originally Posted by EdM

[Linked Image]
The only time I ever had a bolt open was with a Model 70 with the safety in third, locked bolt position.

I was carrying with a round in the chamber, bolt locked, and slung the rifle over my shoulder to use both hands to move through some brush. A bit later I unslung the rifle to find the bolt open and fully back with the chambered round lost to the woods somewhere behind me.

Some small bump moved the safety to the middle position where there is no resistance to the bolt opening, then some branch must have snagged the handle and opened the bolt.

Not making any blanket statements, it's one data point among millions, just shows that there are no hard and fast rules to anything.

Nowadays I'm safer. I keep a Lee loader in my pocket with a couple of primed cases, powder in a small container and loose bullets, and literally don't load the rounds until I see game....
Posted By: geedubya Re: Nosler rifle opinions ? - 04/21/16
OK, thanks. That's too bad, they look like pretty nice rifles. For Tuperware types anyway smile

J,

I resemble that remark........

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ya'

JAPPFT,

GWB
Posted By: Pugs Re: Nosler rifle opinions ? - 04/22/16
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Not making any blanket statements, it's one data point among millions, just shows that there are no hard and fast rules to anything.

Me either. Just my experience like yours.

Nowadays I'm safer. I keep a Lee loader in my pocket with a couple of primed cases, powder in a small container and loose bullets, and literally don't load the rounds until I see game....

See! That's the kind of innovative thinking that will prevent all of this! Perhaps you can convince the kids at my range who like to dump a magazine of 5.56 as quick as they can that this is a tacticool thing to do? grin
Posted By: ingwe Re: Nosler rifle opinions ? - 04/23/16

Interesting to hear others experiences. Ive done a bunch of hunting in a bunch of places and never seen a bolt action open for lack of a bolt lock.
If Im still hunting, I have a round in the chamber, if Im hunting from a Texas stand I don't chamber one till I'm all set up in the stand. No need.

The 'hot vs. cold' argument has always intrigues me. You either trust yourself with a loaded gun, or you don't.

And my favorite thing is a lot of the 'cold' fanatics think nothing of carrying a loaded concealed weapon into crowds of people....

People are curious creatures.....
Posted By: Canazes9 Re: Nosler rifle opinions ? - 04/23/16
Originally Posted by ingwe

Interesting to hear others experiences. Ive done a bunch of hunting in a bunch of places and never seen a bolt action open for lack of a bolt lock.
If Im still hunting, I have a round in the chamber, if Im hunting from a Texas stand I don't chamber one till I'm all set up in the stand. No need.

The 'hot vs. cold' argument has always intrigues me. You either trust yourself with a loaded gun, or you don't.

And my favorite thing is a lot of the 'cold' fanatics think nothing of carrying a loaded concealed weapon into crowds of people....

Ingwe,

This past year I was Aoudad hunting with a buddy in the Big Bend area of Texas. A lot of the "hunting" was more mountain climbing with a rifle than hunting. My buddies Remington 700 bolt repeatedly opened while we climbed, occasionally dropping a round out of the magazine. He finally dry fired on an empty chamber such that tension was added to the bolt and the problem was eliminated.

David
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Nosler rifle opinions ? - 04/24/16
I have two Nosler rifles. Both are accurate. My 26 Nosler did fine on a Goat this past fall. It is a great rifle for Alaska.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Nosler rifle opinions ? - 04/24/16
Originally Posted by Canazes9
Originally Posted by ingwe

Ingwe,

This past year I was Aoudad hunting with a buddy in the Big Bend area of Texas. A lot of the "hunting" was more mountain climbing with a rifle than hunting. My buddies Remington 700 bolt repeatedly opened while we climbed, occasionally dropping a round out of the magazine. He finally dry fired on an empty chamber such that tension was added to the bolt and the problem was eliminated.

David

this...
© 24hourcampfire