Home
[Linked Image]

As many of you know, we recently lost longtime member and friend BobinNH (Bob Farese) to cancer. Bob held court here for just shy of ten years - his charisma, eloquence and knowledge will be greatly missed.

Bob was steadfast in what worked and what didn’t. whistle

In an effort to keep Bob’s embers burning here, we’re going to build and give away what worked for Bob - a M70 .270 custom rifle, spec’d the way he’d do it. And, the proceeds of the tickets will be distributed to charities on Bob's behalf - see bottom of page.

The Blueprint:

Pre-War Model 70 Action
Hawkins Precision Oberndorf Engraved Bottom Metal
Bansner/LAW Stock
Brux cut-rifled 22" 1:10 barrel (Bob’s favorite #1 contour)
Swarovski Z3 3-9x36
Satin black Cerakote Finish
Soon to be built by Nathan Chesney / Hillbilly Custom Rifles

All of the above is either donated from a company or member, or paid for with contributions from campfire members. In an effort to keep this post as short as possible, there will be a more comprehensive list of donors in a follow up post.

TICKETS

Tickets are $10 each with no limit to the number of tickets you can purchase.
There will be no ceiling on tickets sold. Because the idea behind this rifle is so it can live both in spirit and physicality, the drawing is only being offered to campfire members.

We’ve pursued many avenues in how to arrange tickets/payments and have decided to avoid PayPal for fear of having the account locked due to the nature of the item being offered. Therefore, this is how it’ll work:

1) Download the following PDF ticket form.

http://files.attainkarma.com/BobinNH_ticketform.pdf

With this auto-form file, you’re able to enter your information and simply copy/paste your information to additional tickets. (if purchasing more than one)

How to download PDF once you’ve clicked on above link.
[Linked Image]

2) Print form and cut out the tickets. Please cut out the tickets – pretty please?
If you are unable to print the tickets, please email the form to:
[email protected] (you’ll still send payment to below address – just make sure your name or campfire username is on the check)

3) Make check or money order payable to Susan Farese (Bob's wife).
The family will distribute charitable funds at their discretion.
(Bob’s family has listed Make-A-Wish and Challenge Unlimited as potential recipients – there may be additional charities)

4) Mail tickets with payment to:

Bob’s Custom
PO Box 182
De Pere, WI 54115

The PO Box was setup for security reasons – yours and mine. If you look upon the PO Box with furrowed brow, please PM me and I’ll supply my home address.

When funds/tickets are received, we’ll send you an email confirmation.
Please note, your check may not be cashed for up to a month of receipt so please have some patience.

Deadline for entries is March 10.

Drawing will be done by Bob’s family at the end of March and videotaped to share here. PM me with questions or for further contact information.
Just plain awesome....great work folks, I can see Bob's smile from here.....
Good job guys! Mine will go out tomorrow.

Thanks again. donsm70
Thanks SKane and TDN and everyone else responsible.

Mine will also go out tomorrow.
Good on you guys!
Great job guys!
Fantastic idea! I am sure Bob will be looking down and enjoying this.

I will get my ticket stuff out this weekend.
Well done guys. Very impressed how it all came together.
Very nice to set this up.
Great job guys, I'll be sending in a couple pages.

Funny, I just finished a job up in your neck of the wood in Little Chute yesterday.
Good job guys! Sounds like a great build.
WOW. Fantastic!
This is great! It's a wonderful tribute to a good guy.

There's one thing I'd like to request; Can it please be twisted 1 in 9"?
I can't see saddling a really great hunting rifle with a slow twist.
The future is in fast twist VLD style bullets. Why not make this rifle usable through this next generation of bullets?
It's not like the faster twist is gonna hurt the 130 Partitions any.
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
This is great! It's a wonderful tribute to a good guy.

There's one thing I'd like to request; Can it please be twisted 1 in 9"?
I can't see saddling a really great hunting rifle with a slow twist.
The future is in fast twist VLD style bullets. Why not make this rifle usable through this next generation of bullets?
It's not like the faster twist is gonna hurt the 130 Partitions any.

Absolutely!

Just find an in-stock .270 barrel twisted 1:9, have it contoured to the #1, DONATE IT and have it to the gunsmith by the end of the week. smile

Brux stepped up with the existing tube when others wanted no part.

Obviously that puts the kibosh to that thought!
I hadn't caught that detail.
It's not like the 270 is useless with 1-10.

It's a fine looking blueprint, I'd be honored to hunt with it.

Tickets on the way.
Nor did Bob seem to think much of VLD style bullets for hunting.

Going there may curse that rifle before it ever went into the wood. smile
Good job!
I'm in.

with regards to the twist rate, if I pick up the rifle for the cost of a few tickets, then I could afford to change the barrel out if that was an issue for me. Which it isn't. smile
Originally Posted by battue

YEP. I don't believe in 'curses' as such but...

Bob wasn't a vld fan - for hunting.

Jerry
Personally, I like 130gr Partitions or Grand Slams in my .270...bet that 1:10 Brux would work REAL NICE with either one...
My tickets and check are in the mail today.

Thanks to all who have spear-headed this effort - a class act!
Good deal Scott, I'll get this printed and sent off shortly. Nate is going to do a super job putting that rifle together.
Great rifle and idea. I think that Bob would have liked it. Randy

One does not have to be firing VLDs to realize the advantage of faster twist. For example, a .277 140 Accubond, fired from a 10 twist barrel at 3000 fps in 0 degree temp from 2000 ASL, shows a BC drop from the factory estimated .496 down to .472 due to loss of stability. 9 twist shows no drop in BC in those conditions. This was calculated using the Berger twist rate stability calculator. Those are conditions a fellow could sure run into during a late season hunt.

Now that’s not to say most hunters will every see the difference in the field, but the difference is there. A 10 twist 270 is rarely a mistake for a hunter, but more twist isn’t going to hurt. Bob recognized the advantage of fast twist as well.

With all that being said, the 10 twist certainly wouldn’t stop me from hunting with this rifle, as it looks like a great overall package!
Agreed.
Printing some tickets!!
Great job guys.. I am on the road.. Will mail for tickets soon.. Bob would be pleased..
Originally Posted by jwall

YEP. I don't believe in 'curses' as such but...

Bob wasn't a vld fan - for hunting.

Jerry

Bob did mention many times useing 9 twist barrels for his 270s.

Trystan
And I'm fairly confident this one would have been 9 if they could have obtained one with not having to wait 3 months.

Bob still wasn't a fan of VLD bullets for big game
Originally Posted by Trystan

Bob did mention many times useing 9 twist barrels for his 270s.

Trystan

Never said he didn't ! ! !

Jerry
Gentlemen, let's put the twist thing to bed and this will be the last we need to hear about or debate it here. smile

Per a friend of 30+ years - one that knew Bob better than anyone here, Bob's longtime favorite rifle was a pre64 M70 270 1:10 22".

Over.
Nice work Skane!
Originally Posted by SKane
Gentlemen, let's put the twist thing to bed and this will be the last we need to hear about or debate it here. smile

Per a friend of 30+ years - one that knew Bob better than anyone here, Bob's longtime favorite rifle was a pre64 M70 270 1:10 22".

Over.

Scott, Thank You for your efforts in this endeavor.

Over.

You guys did a fantastic job bringing this together, I wouldn't worry about any nit pickers...some guys would cry if you hung 'em with a new rope.

Over.

I just now checked back in and am in TOTAL agreement. smile

Jerry
My suggestion is we keep the whole thing a fun ride.

Lets get this thread pined to the top, at least until the ticket buying window is over...
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Scott, Thank You for your efforts in this endeavor.

There are a lot of generous others in the mix on this.

A big thank you to woofer for the wonderful idea.
[Linked Image]

Well heck, I knew the 270 was only good for shooting dinks! grin
What a phenomenal job. Bravo Scott and all involved. I'll get these printed and send in the money. What a classic rifle in memory of a classy gentleman.
TTT
Tag!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Man he was proud of that and rightfully so. No small feat
Very very nice....
Just mailed my tickets and check today. You didn't spec stock LOP. I suggest no longer than 13.5". IMO if the winner wants a longer LOP it's easier to add a spacer than cut the stock.
Dave,
I think that's the plan - will confirm.
Bump for the morning crowd.
Bump for the late afternoon/evening crowd
The first entries arrived yesterday - well done folks! smile

If you sent entries and do not get an email confirmation in the coming days, please PM me.
I've got my tickets and check in envelope. It will go in the mail in am. Thanks Scott
Originally Posted by CowboyTim

Funny, I just finished a job up in your neck of the wood in Little Chute yesterday.

I had a cement mason from Little Chute working for me all summer over here in Philadelphia, PA. Small world...

I'll get my tickets out this week. I didn't know Bob but I understand and feel inclined to make a generous donation to a good cause.
up
Originally Posted by d500lnn
I've got my tickets and check in envelope. It will go in the mail in am. Thanks Scott

Excellent! And, thank you!

First piece - courtesy Brux barrels, arrived at Nathan Chesney's shop today.

[Linked Image]

12 tickets in the mail this morning.
[Linked Image]

How are the ticket sales going? Get a fair number in the 1st week?
Tim,

Today was the 4th day of mail.
If the drawing were held this eve, 16 members would be in the running for the rifle.

Pretty good odds. wink
Well I live close enough to that PO box that it should be 17 by Saturday.
Put mine in the mail either today or yesterday...lol. Mind's not what it used to be.
Let's sell some tickets for a good cause, a chance for a nice rifle and in memory of one of the good guys.
Just saw this thread. Tickets coming for a good cause, in memory of a good guy.
Going out in tomorrows mail. A stand up gesture for sure.
Alright! Thanks gentlemen!
bump.
Well done Scott, people like you, your dad and of course Bob are what makes the 'fire such a great place.

Good on you, tickets will head your way today.

On the matter of the NF you recently snaked out from under everyone, you still suck laugh laugh laugh
David,

Thank you. We'll be on the lookout for your submission. smile

Apologies on the NF. Were it not for another member texting me (knowing I was on the hunt for one) I would have lost out on that. I'll PM his handle and you can terrorize him. whistle

Alright gentlemen, we have 25 entrants. I know there are many more big hearts out there with one more spot in the safe - or have been looking for just one more rifle to justify another gun safe.

David,

Thank you. We'll be on the lookout for your submission. smile

Apologies on the NF. Were it not for another member texting me (knowing I was on the hunt for one) I would have lost out on that. I'll PM his handle and you can terrorize him. whistle

Alright gentlemen, we have 25 entrants. I know there are many more big hearts out there with one more spot in the safe - or have been looking for just one more rifle to justify another gun safe.

For a rifle like that, I'd MAKE room...

First piece - courtesy Brux barrels, arrived at Nathan Chesney's shop today.

[Linked Image]

Scott, a 10 twist?!

Oh no, that'll never do......grin

Need to get my wife to hook up the printer and some tickets will be headed your direction.
Let's keep this at the top.
My entry should be there Tuesday. It's a long way from Kaukauna to De Pere crazy. I told my son that if I win, I found his first rifle.
[quote=SKane]

Just find an in-stock .270 barrel twisted 1:9, have it contoured to the #1, DONATE IT and have it to the gunsmith by the end of the week. smile

Brux stepped up with the existing tube when others wanted no part.
[quote=SKane]

Noted, while I am sure everyone has their favorite barrel-maker, this fact is not lost on me.

Bump for a wonderful man. While I know he's killed truckloads of game, there are two things I remember most about Bob.

1) When I was quite new to the Campfire, he was discussing...yup, the 7MM Mashburn and was more than willing to email me information, and

2) He doted on his grandchildren (as it should be) and if memory serves me correct, outfitted them with pairs (did you catch that SKANE?) of Yosemite binoculars.
Originally Posted by jaydub in wi
My entry should be there Tuesday. It's a long way from Kaukauna to De Pere crazy. I told my son that if I win, I found his first rifle.

Jaydub. I'm tink'n your 'bodyguard' should be able to handle that 270 about now--or very soon.
I'll get it in the mail tomorrow.
tag until I get to a printer
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut

Jaydub. I'm tink'n your 'bodyguard' should be able to handle that 270 about now--or very soon.

He just turned 11 recently. He has been "borrowing" my 223 for the youth hunt, but he said he's almost ready to get his own rifle. He's not quite as suspicious of new people anymore. wink
Originally Posted by Akbob5

He doted on his grandchildren (as it should be) and if memory serves me correct, outfitted them with pairs (did you catch that SKANE?) of Yosemite binoculars.

I see what you did there. grin
Bob did indeed dote on his grandchildren. One did not need to spend a lot of time with Bob to understand family was everything to him.

Originally Posted by SamOlson

Scott, a 10 twist?!
Oh no, that'll never do......grin

Need to get my wife to hook up the printer and some tickets will be headed your direction.

The horror, eh? I'm having one put together with the same twist.

Sam, if you don't get the printer squared away, drop me a line and I'll gladly fill it/them out for you.

Your letter will likely travel a couple hundred miles for that 12 mile distance. laugh

A huge thank you to all of you gracious folks - would love to at least triple that number of entrants before it's over. blush
Whitebird has the action enroute to Nathan Chesney and we'll no doubt be seeing some progress photos/updates in the coming weeks.

More parts are coming together!
Sending this and the rings/bases off tomorrow!

THANKS CameraLand for a sweet deal!

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by TDN

[Linked Image]

Nice!
WOW great gesture and defiantly a lost to the fire. i'll have to get some tickets bought and sent in. BTW i assume it is ok to just send cash depending on the amount.
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
WOW great gesture and defiantly a lost to the fire. i'll have to get some tickets bought and sent in. BTW i assume it is ok to just send cash depending on the amount.

Tickets:
[Linked Image]

As many of you know, we recently lost longtime member and friend BobinNH (Bob Farese) to cancer. Bob held court here for just shy of ten years - his charisma, eloquence and knowledge will be greatly missed.

In an effort to keep Bob’s embers burning here, we’re going to build and give away what worked for Bob - a M70 .270 custom rifle, spec’d the way he’d do it. And, the proceeds of the tickets will be distributed to charities on Bob's behalf - see bottom of page.

The Blueprint:

Pre-War Model 70 Action
Bansner/LAW Stock
Swarovski Z3 3-9x36

All of the above is either donated from a company or member, or paid for with contributions from campfire members. In an effort to keep this post as short as possible, there will be a more comprehensive list of donors in a follow up post.

TICKETS

There will be no ceiling on tickets sold. Because the idea behind this rifle is so it can live both in spirit and physicality, the drawing is only being offered to campfire members.

We’ve pursued many avenues in how to arrange tickets/payments and have decided to avoid PayPal for fear of having the account locked due to the nature of the item being offered. Therefore, this is how it’ll work:

With this auto-form file, you’re able to enter your information and simply copy/paste your information to additional tickets. (if purchasing more than one)

[Linked Image]

2) Print form and cut out the tickets. Please cut out the tickets – pretty please?
[email protected] (you’ll still send payment to below address – just make sure your name or campfire username is on the check)

(Bob’s family has listed Make-A-Wish and Challenge Unlimited as potential recipients – there may be additional charities)

Bob’s Custom
PO Box 182
De Pere, WI 54115

The PO Box was setup for security reasons – yours and mine. If you look upon the PO Box with furrowed brow, please PM me and I’ll supply my home address.

Please note, your check may not be cashed for up to a month of receipt so please have some patience.

Drawing will be done by Bob’s family at the end of March and videotaped to share here. PM me with questions or for further contact information.

Scott, the boss had the day off and I just had her help me get them printed and filled out.
Just printed and filled mine out. Will hit the mail tomorrow.
Tickets in the mail.
Nice work gentleman!

As of today, we have 31 participants. smile

The entries today were postmarked either Feb 17 or 18.
If you sent entries earlier than that and have not gotten an email confirmation, please send me a PM.
We want to be certain you're present and accounted for!

Think we can get that number higher...up up up!!!
Just got my tickets printed off. Will drop them in the mail in the morning.

Dink
Tickets went out this morning.
Filled out and ready to go.

The envelope is so fat I stuck an extra stamp on it....

I had to send mine on a pallet.
Originally Posted by kingston

I had to send mine on a pallet.

Post office had to haul mine by pack mule...
Back to the top
Originally Posted by TDN

[Linked Image]

Wanted to try one of these for a while now...
This is going to be ONE FINE RIFLE!

Let's move it up once more.

donsm70
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Just printed and filled mine out. Will hit the mail tomorrow.

In the mail box now. Kept forgetting my check book at home.
I have the honor and privilege to build this rifle for a good cause. In the few conversations I had with Bob, three things came up. Pre 64 70's, 270 and hunting! As most of the parts have arrived, I'll post photos of the build as it progresses!

[Linked Image]
Printed my tickets off today. Will be in the mail by Monday. What a great cause. Never had to many conversations with Bob, but the ones I did were nothing but knowledge on his end.
Will be on the lookout for above entries and will send confirmation - thanks guys!!
32 entrants thus far.

[Linked Image]
Will be on the lookout for above entries and will send confirmation - thanks guys!!
32 entrants thus far.

[Linked Image]

Remember guys, it only takes one ticket to win...and if you only buy one, my odds get a lot better. whistle
I got more part in today!
Let's get these tickets sold!
It's going to be a great rifle and even better cause!

[Linked Image]
Checked out Nathan's website today...NICE looking rifles...
Just saw this! Awesome! I'm in!
Nice Friday mail run. blush
Well done gentlemen!

[Linked Image]
Classy Payment sent
Nice!

(mine might be there tomorrow or Monday)

I hear good things about Nathan's work. whistle whistle
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I hear they all shoot rather well, too. grin

[Linked Image]

Hard to be sure looking all the way from Pa, but is there at least one Model 70 in that line? If not, well.....
battue,

He builds real rifles too - not just 700 platforms. laugh

And unfortunately, I'm not eligible to win this one.

[Linked Image]

😍😍Scott tell us about each. They are all very nice looking.
Sending tickets in today – Thanks for doing this!

Bill
[Linked Image]

The Blueprint:

Pre-War Model 70 Action
Bansner/LAW Stock
Swarovski Z3 3-9x36

TICKETS

[Linked Image]

Bob’s Custom
PO Box 182
De Pere, WI 54115

First I heard of his passing.

My prayers to his family. $100 in tickets coming as soon as I get it done!
battue,

He builds real rifles too - not just 700 platforms. laugh

And unfortunately, I'm not eligible to win this one.

Scott, hate to hijack this thread so maybe we could start a new one showing off some of the rifles Nate has built for fellow campfire members? That way folks will see what a super rifle this one will be, it should get those tickets flooding in!!
oregonmuley - I concur.

winchester88, Teeder, Fotis, Bill_N, Daveh - thanks guys! I'll be on the lookout. smile

I'll get mine out today.

A nice tribute to a Good Man.
My tickets are the mail for a good cause and good man.

colodog & xp100 - thank you!

Today's mail call. blush
[Linked Image]
a comment on Nates works....
I always wanted a Mark Bansner rifle after seeing them at the sports show at harrisburg the fit and finish of his rifles was amazing to me even if they were only synthetic stocks but I never could afford one after he became so popular....

A few years ago I met Nate/Nathan at the same show and was blown away by his fit and finish and had him do a stock install for me two years ago...it looks like the action grew out of the stock and he is now doing another one for my ti 7mm-08...

This BobinNH RIFLE will be first class in every way so dont miss an oppurtunity at a great rifle and cause and thanks to Hillbilly Rifles for a generous contribution....

One of Bob's 270's:

[Linked Image]
Printed tickets... finally!! Mail tomorrow!
tickets on the way....thanks
Most excellent!

I'll plan on taking the truck and using the PO loading dock on Wednesday-ish. smile
[Linked Image]

Monday's entrants. smile
Sweet!

What a wonderful gesture of Honor, wish I had the equipment and skill set to download some tickets.

Good luck to all in this very thoughtful campaign! smile
The check and tickets are in the mail. Thanks to all who got this rolling.

Dale
Looks promising, getting a respectable number of tickets?
Originally Posted by gunner500
What a wonderful gesture of Honor, wish I had the equipment and skill set to download some tickets.

How many do you need? PM me with your address and I'll print some out and mail them to you, I'm off this week anyway.
Alright, as of today, we have 46 entrants.
Looking forward to the rest of the week.

How many do you need? PM me with your address and I'll print some out and mail them to you, I'm off this week anyway.

Many Thanks CowboyTim, PM sent. smile

Well when you win I can at least say I printed the winning ticket...
Nice thing to do - I really liked Bob.

Spot
This is awesome! Putting a couple in the mail today!
Mailing in mine today!
Alright gentlemen, thank you!

5 more today - email confirmation to the below participants this eve.
[Linked Image]
Tickets on the way.

Well when you win I can at least say I printed the winning ticket...

LOL! Thanks again Sir.
Back up ^^^^^
Sent mine out yesterday
Pushing this back up top, be cool as hell if this cracks 5 figures...
[Linked Image]
Let's bump that ticker a bit higher..!
Winning ticket sent,... and a few extras for a great cause. wink
Originally Posted by Cattledog
Let's bump that ticker a bit higher..!

Nice work!

[Linked Image]
do I need to buy more ???
My $100 went out yesterday!

Thank you Scott!
I think we should at least try to push for 1000 tickets sold...there's plenty of guys reading this that ain't got off the fence yet.
Just sent mine in as we discussed. Thanks for working with me to figure out how to make it happen from where I'm at.

This kinda struck a cord, since it was some years back that cancer got my father on a February 19th, and I recall the loss and the memories. I hope this gives some solace to those that were closest to him, in some small way.
hh4whiskey,
Thanks for jumping through a hoop or two - and be safe over there. wink

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Daveh
My $100 went out yesterday!

Thank you Scott!

Nooooo, thank you!
[Linked Image]
Only 6 days left...guess I better make sure I got plenty of 7828ssc in the reloading cabinet... wink
Here's some pictures of the action being blueprinted!
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image][/URL]
[URL=http://s1269.photobucket.com/user/hbrifles/media/20170305_134908_zpsrgl4bsc5.jpg.html]
Nathan,

Thanks for the update - looking good!
WOW! I never got to see one of my new rifles being made before! cool
I was just thinking that I don't need a third 270.

Had to slap myself!
That's gonna be a fine shoot'in iron !
Nathan... you can go ahead and engrave my initials on the tang or something... I'm feeling lucky!

PS. Thanks for all you're doing!
That is going to be one dandy rifle, gave an old .22 to a buddy's kid today to make room in the safe.
WOW! Looking great! Can't wait to see it all finished up..

[Linked Image]

BWAHAHAHA laugh

I hope whoever wins this fine tribute rifle loads 130 gr Partitions in it just like Bob. smile

Chambering!!

[Linked Image]
Sweet!
Coned breech, just like the originals, nice work hbnac, and a big Thank You from Oklahoma!

BWAHAHAHA laugh

I hope whoever wins this fine tribute rifle loads 130 gr Partitions in it just like Bob. smile
I will have some already to go
LOL, and H-4831 too Dan, it's gonna be a fine, fine rifle. smile
You guys are gonna be PISSED when a lefty wins this gun. smile
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz

grin
LOL, wouldn't that be the chits? laugh

BWAHAHAHA laugh

I've got some 130 BBCs if I do! Pretty sure Bob would grin..
Yes, he would B, yes sir he would.
If'n the winner tries a VLD in this rifle, you best be standing in a lightning-free zone. whistle
If'n the winner tries a VLD in this rifle, you best be standing in a lightning-free zone. whistle

That's actually really funny... Grin...

Amen!!! Now that would be funny!
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz

I've been thinking about that from the git go... laugh

And Yes, I would run 130gr Partitions in front of H4831 and never look back...

Heh, heh, heh. I'm a lefty and I'd make it work...no problem! grin And it would learn to like 150 Speers, too. laugh
Originally Posted by beretzs

Sure enough guys, I ain't gonna try it! eek ;]

Heh, heh, heh. I'm a lefty and I'd make it work...no problem! grin And it would learn to like 150 Speers, too. laugh

Speers in that rifle will cause charged blue heat from above to appear. laugh

Sure enough guys, I ain't gonna try it! eek ;]

Me neither...
cool
It will see 2 bullets only 130 gr NP or Hornady Interlocks
H4831
The End

We now have a barreled action!!

[Linked Image]
Rock-n-Roll Nate! laugh

Lookin' good, Nathan!

[Linked Image]
Looking really good! Can't wait to see the finished rifle.
Bob is smiling! cool

Scott, I wasn't even gonna risk shooting a few 140 Accubonds!

Bob became a believer in 150 Speers in Kansas in '15. grin
Is the March ten deadline a postmark deadline?
If I mail tomorrow I am not sure it will get there in time?
Originally Posted by irfubar

Yes sir, postmark is fine.

Scott, I wasn't even gonna risk shooting a few 140 Accubonds!

Oh, I think you'd be alright with the Accubond.
The BT is the one that'd likely be pushing the juju envelope.

Ahhh hell, just shoot a Partition or Bitteroot and sashay without fear.

Yes sir, postmark is fine.

Excellent! Thank you Skane

Bob became a believer in 150 Speers in Kansas in '15. grin

Well, as long as Bob approved, blast away with those Speer's my friend. laugh
C'mon the rest of you fence riders...tick...tick...tick... grin
Looking great Nate!
This will be my first .270! grin
It will complete my hat trick!
Boys, try not to drool too much on my new rifle...the only thing that it's missing is a few good Richland County whitetails under it's belt...I've got plenty of 130gr Partitions...
2 days left
to get your tickets
in the mail. whistle blush

Folks not much time left!

One more day for a chance on a rifle worth about $6000!!

Remember there is a Swarovski Z3 going on this rifle!!

And is for a great cause!!

[Linked Image]
That's a fine lookin' rifle. You can never have too many .270s. Just sent my tickets off.
That's looking REALLY good. Can't wait to see it finished up.
Nathan, thanks for the check-in.
Now get back to work. laugh
Does postmarked on the 10th work? Don't know how I missed this. Got to vist the Hunting Rifle forum more.
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Does postmarked on the 10th work? Don't know how I missed this. Got to vist the Hunting Rifle forum more.
Yes, postmarked today. Was mentioned a few posts back. Send 'em in.
Clint,

You bet - I'll be on the lookout for it.
Will have a progress report later this evening and will send email confirmation to new entrants. smile
Really nice Nathan!!

I rearranged the safe last night, and I have a great spot reserved for it :-)

Tim

I hope you guys got your tickets post marked today!!

The pillars are in!

Looking good Nathan. smile
Someone is going to get a good 'un...

As of this eve:
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by hbnac

The pillars are in!

F me! Was going to send some cash for tickets but I think I'll still send the cash tomorrow. I just hope somebody hunts mule deer with that rifle! Bob loved hunting mule deer
Originally Posted by huntsonora

The pillars are in!

F me! Was going to send some cash for tickets but I think I'll still send the cash tomorrow. I just hope somebody hunts mule deer with that rifle! Bob loved hunting mule deer

Bump for Bob!
Wonder how many tickets are in the mail right now...
HA! I'm one up on all of you, as I went to visit Nathan today, and I actually got to touch the rifle!!! So even when I don't win it, I can still say I got to see it, and I touched it first!!!
All kidding aside, it looks to be coming right along, and will be a fantastic rifle for someone, in memory of a significant presence here on the fire. If ever there was a rifle meant to be hunted, this is it.....
Surely you took some picts. whistle whistle shocked
I would have if Nathan hadn't been doing such a good job of photo documentation of the progress. It didn't look any different than his last picture, as it had been sitting to let the bedding set up. But I do understand- without pictures, it didn't happen!!
I'm not opposed to any of y'all borrowing my rifle 'til I get back. I'd even let you scratch it....just don't lick the stock.
Originally Posted by TBurroughs
But I do understand- without pictures, it didn't happen!!

Yeah, that's about right. grin
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
I'm not opposed to any of y'all borrowing my rifle 'til I get back. I'd even let you scratch it....just don't lick the stock.

Tis a pretty safe bet you'd be able to find one or two folks here to knock the new off for you. *grins*

When you get back, I'll be glad to lend you my rifle...get here during deer season and I'll even see if I can help find ya a whitetail.

When you get back, I'll be glad to lend you my rifle...get here during deer season and I'll even see if I can help find ya a whitetail.

LOL....I'll bring the rifle by for a visit....supervised, of course. wink
Hey Scott and Tim,

I'm curious what the reaction has been from Susan and Bob's extended family regarding the rifle drawing, any word?
Didn't know Bob personally myself, this whole thing just sounds like a good idea for a good cause to me, so I've keep posting on the thread to help keep it on the top of the page.
Originally Posted by colodog
Hey Scott and Tim,

I'm curious what the reaction has been from Susan and Bob's extended family regarding the rifle drawing, any word?

It means a great deal to them. The outpouring of support has really taken all by surprise. smile
Hey Scott and Tim,

It means a great deal to them. The outpouring of support has really taken all by surprise. smile

That's just cool
Hey Scott and Tim,

Perfect! cool
Look forward to hearing the final ticket total Scott. Thanks for all you did to make this happen. I'm sure it will be appreciated by all in Bob's family.

v/r
Rob
I dont know how the family will be donating the proceeds but it would be great to see them do something to help/promote kids in the outdoors with Bobs name attached to it....
[Linked Image]

smile
That's a lot of money raised!

Awesome job men.
Plethora of fine folks here.

Final tally and news on drawing date this evening. smile

Good job Scott!
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Good job Scott!

Plethora of fine folks here.

Final tally and news on drawing date this evening. smile

**Jeopardy! music playing in background**

**Jeopardy! music playing in background**

Oh great, now that #@$% song will be playing in my head all night long! laugh
[video:youtube]IkdmOVejUlI[/video]
[video:youtube]IkdmOVejUlI[/video]

That is just COLD. laugh
laugh, Watching jeopardy shows me how dim my little bulb really burns. blush

***drum roll***

[Linked Image]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^SWEET!!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

***drum roll***

[Linked Image]

Outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!
Nice!

Bob must be getting a kick out of this....
The cover is closed/sealed
and will depart for MA very soon.

[Linked Image]

The intention is to have the drawing toward the end of the month but don't have a specific date/time to announce just yet. (will update)
A member (or multiple members) of Bob's family will pull the name from the box. And it'll be captured on video to share here.

Be it initial monies toward getting the build rolling, ticket purchases or generous donations of product/services - we want to thank everyone that's participated. It is rather humbling to be in the company of great folks here and I know it's touched Bob's family tremendously.

Would also like to give specific propers to the following people that donated the following -

Barrel - Ken - Brux Barrels (free-of-charge)

Stock - Mark Bansner - Legendary Arms Works (free-of-charge)

Action/bottom metal - cliff/whitebird (free-of-charge)

Complete rifle assembly/chambering/fitting/paint etc - Nathan Chesney - Hillbilly Custom Rifles (free-of-charge)

[Linked Image]

Scope - Doug - CameralandNY (significant discount)

THANK YOU.

Smiling here!

laugh laugh
Would also like to give specific propers to the following people that donated the following -

Complete rifle assembly/chambering/fitting/paint etc - Nathan Chesney - Hillbilly Custom Rifles (free-of-charge)

This is awesome and worth putting up again!
Originally Posted by Teeder

Yeah that is , just when you thought that there were no good humans left. YOu see that
Just plain awesome, congrats to all involved for their amazing efforts and for sure, Bob is smiling from up above, seeing the campfire crew come together, thanks guys!

SKane and crew, I don't see how it could have gone any better!

"Great Job" to all that have participated in this project!

donsm70

Sorry if this has been stated and I missed it, but is the final tally of 6,450 the number of tickets sold or the amount of money raised?

Either way, awesome job on this. I'm sure it will end up an awesome rifle and I'm amazed by those individuals and companies that gave so freely. Truly generous!
Azar,

I'm oftentimes clear as mud. blush

That's the money raised. We'll still incur some small incidentals - shipping charges, hard case etc. but it'll be minor.
Awesome job on this!!!
So cool. I'm thrilled to be a part of it. Good luck to each of y'all. What cool way to remember a neat gentleman

laugh laugh

It's so true. grin
Great job guys!!
grin
This just shouldn't be on page 2!
Originally Posted by Teeder

A bump to the top and Thanks to the Sponsors!
Ttt
up
Big thanks to SKane, TND, and the companies that sponsored this endeavor to recognize one of our own!
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Big thanks to SKane, TND, and the companies that sponsored this endeavor to recognize one of our own!

It's been an honor to contribute a bit and coordinate things. The best has been honoring our old friend, knowing it is going to a good cause, and watching the campfire step up in surprising generosity!

Let's keep this bumped up til the drawing!

[Linked Image]

THANK YOU.

Thanks to Scott, Tim, and all the generous folks listed above. This is great.
+1, nice job all the way around gentlemen.
Apologies for the week's worth of darkness but my wife needed help recreating in Mexico. whistle

April 1st (no foolin') is confirmed for the day of the drawing. I will post the video of the drawing on Saturday.
cool
Just got my safe bolted back in post remodel...I'm ready for the results... laugh
Boy this would make a great retirement present for me! I got my orders two weeks ago, after 21 years in the Army and Reserves I'm hanging it up April 1st.
Congratulations taylorce1, and thanks for your service, but I'm pretty sure I sent the winning entry in a long time ago. wink

donsm70
I'm still rooting for a particular South Paw...
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Boy this would make a great retirement present for me! I got my orders two weeks ago, after 21 years in the Army and Reserves I'm hanging it up April 1st.

Congrats bud!

Well done. And thank you for your service.
Good luck in the drawing!

Congrats on the retirement. I just took the plunge last July myself. Pretty good so far.. Tons of luck to you!

Thank you for your service.

Congrats on the retirement. I just took the plunge last July myself. Pretty good so far.. Tons of luck to you!

Yes, good job Men, and good luck! smile
Well, maybe it'll be waiting for me when I get back from deploy, maybe not....but I hope all this gives Bob's family a glow or eases some loss in any small way. In that case, glad to be any tiny cog.
How about a "3 days till the drawing" bump. Good luck to all of ya(although I'm pretty sure the winning ticket was printed in Cazenovia, Wisconsin wink )
Originally Posted by Orion2000
grin

laugh
Gotta be getting close, this is MAJOR COOL! smile
I'm gonna hunt the crap out of that rifle,can't wait!
We'll need to build a lot more rifles for all the winners. laugh
Just want to add my thanks to all that have contributed so generously with parts, time and talents and a special note of appreciation to SKane who coordinated the whole project.

May Bob's family find some solace in his loss with the thought that so many strangers think so highly of his memory here on the 24 Hour Campfire.
Bump for Bob!

THANK YOU to you guys that put this together!

Bob's passion for mule deer was evident and it was a common bond between us and I sure hope whoever ends up with this rifle decides to hunt with it out west.
Two more days... grin

I know it's cheesy...seemed fitting though...
To whomever wins tomorrow, Congradulations!

You really, really suck! Unless it's me. laugh

Thank you to everyone who made this happen.

Prayers to Bob's family in their time of loss.

Thank you Bob for your knowledge, you will be missed on the fire.
back to the top for Bob
I got a wonderiful surprize last week! It really made my day!

One of the reasons I love what I do, is I get to deal with some really nice people! Thank you!!!

I'll have some more pictures of the build soon.

[Linked Image]
Pure awesome!
Just wanted to throw a picture up of my new Mashburn. Bob helped me spec the entire thing out and since back in Dec I knew he wasn't doing great I decided to get something cool on the rifle. Hope you all don't mind me putting these up.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Awesome rifle Scotty. Bob would be damn proud of that one!!!!
Apologies for the week's worth of darkness but my wife needed help recreating in Mexico. whistle

April 1st (no foolin') is confirmed for the day of the drawing. I will post the video of the drawing on Saturday.

Am I the only one that has checked this thread about 400 times already today... laugh
Not 400, but just a couple. grin

Can't wait find out the name of lucky person.
... Am I the only one that has checked this thread about 400 times already today... laugh

No... grin
Brief update:
Just got word from one of Bob's friends - he's heading over to the family's home to video the drawing.
Will post the video when I receive it or have the link.

For the guy's hitting the refresh button every two minutes, this should give you a reprieve for a couple of hours. grin
I got a wonderiful surprize last week! It really made my day!

One of the reasons I love what I do, is I get to deal with some really nice people! Thank you!!!

I'll have some more pictures of the build soon.

[Linked Image]

Karma.
For the guy's hitting the refresh button every two minutes, this should give you a reprieve for a couple of hours. grin

Scott, I just walked in the door and will admit to checking this thread before I bothered to remove my dirty work clothes. Wife wasn't impressed...grin

Can't wait to see who the lucky hunter will be!
I'm sure Matt will be letting us all know soon but one of our own is going to be really happy pretty quick.

Scott, I just walked in the door and will admit to checking this thread before I bothered to remove my dirty work clothes. Wife wasn't impressed...grin

Can't wait to see who the lucky hunter will be!

I hear ya, just came home form helping my dad clean calf pens...my wife wasn't impressed either... shocked
You know Bob was from New Hampshire and loved hunting the northeast but I'm sure Wyoming always held a place in his heart...

Alright, there is a gremlin in the video upload (working to rectify).

But we do have a confirmed winner. wink

Thanks guys!

I am so thankful to have won this! I honestly just wanted to help out monetarily, but to have won this is just amazing!

I will hunt it hard and often I promise!!!!
Congrats. Can't think of a more deserving gentleman.
Congrats Hig.....glad to hear that a real hunter won this.
Originally Posted by Higbean
Thanks guys!

I am so thankful to have won this! I honestly just wanted to help out monetarily, but to have won this is just amazing!

I will hunt it hard and often I promise!!!!

With the way your luck is going I'd book a Alberta hunt asap
Well, before this gets out of hand.......

This is the winner of the rifle.

[Linked Image]
Fugg yeah!

Congrats Battue!
So, next Flave will be the winner.
Well, before this gets out of hand.......

This is the winner of the rifle.

[Linked Image]

Congrats Battue!! Can't wait to see its first group and first kill!
So, next Flave will be the winner.

No schidt.

Who's idea was it to announce on April Fools Day?
Harry Palms?.....anybody?....
Congratulations Harry, How's it shoot? laugh
Congrats to Battue.....
By the way.....who and the heck is Bob?
Congrats Battue!
Congratulations Battue!

Dale
Wow!!!!

Thought about winning and then would think fat chance of that!!!!

So, most importantly thanks to Scott, Tim and Whitebird for taking the initiative to get this going and to successfully follow thru with making it happen. Thanks also to Brux, Bansner, and Hillybilly Customs.

I'm sure the thoughts of all of you have meant more than a little to Bob's family. It's a fine thing that happened here and we all know Bob's example over the years was why it happened. Perhaps something we all can learn from.

Never been a .270W guy, but that is obviously about to change.

Bob, I'll do my best by this rifle.

Wow!!!!
Smiling here!
Congrats Battue !

SKane, TDN,
Any mention from the family what the funds might be used for? Understand if they have not yet decided or do not wish to share. Just curious...
Congratulations Battue, from just north of the "Burgh".

donsm70
Wow!!!!

Thought about winning and then would think fat chance of that!!!!

So, most importantly thanks to Scott, Tim and Whitebird for taking the initiative to get this going and to successfully follow thru with making it happen. Thanks also to Brux, Bansner, and Hillybilly Customs.

I'm sure the thoughts of all of you have meant more than a little to Bob's family. It's a fine thing that happened here and we all know Bob's example over the years was why it happened. Perhaps something we all can learn from.

Never been a .270W guy, but that is obviously about to change.

Bob, I'll do my best by this rifle.

Wow!!!!

This is pure class....great response to an equally classy event to honor one of the good guys.

Should be a sticky for when things get messy around the fire, just as a reminder...

Congrats Battue!
Great stuff, congrats Harry!
Indeed!

Enjoy the 270 Battue, congrats!
Congrats, hope it shoots as good as it looks, aught to be a real dandy of a rifle...
Congrats Harry!
Congrats! Battue.

Wayne
This whole deal has been one class act. Congrats to all. I'm sure Bob is looking down on all of this with a big smile.
Originally Posted by gonzaga
Congrats to Battue.....

A BIG +1 laugh
Congrats Battue, and great work everybody! Great gesture here all the way around.
Congrats well done on all accounts!
Here's the actual video.

[video:youtube]watch?v=LXNRnghIFSk[/video]
Congratulation Battue!

You know you need to plan a WY trip now, right? wink
Thanks Scott,
It's nice to see the family made an event of the drawing.

Very thoughtfully planned and well played, Sir!
Congrats battue! Very happy for you!
Congrats Battue! smile
Enjoy the rifle Battue! Make Bob proud and hunt the hell out of it.
Yep thanks to everybody!
Congrats Harry! I was thrilled when I heard you were drawn!

Enjoy that rig!

And thanks to everyone who made this possible with your generosity!
Congrats Battue! You saved me the dread of figuring out what I would do with a .270!
Here's the actual video.

[video:youtube]watch?v=LXNRnghIFSk[/video]

Scott, et. all,

Watching that video was the highlight of the night! Reminded me of Bob talking about buying his grandsons binoculars......great looking family.

Class act buddy, you done good.
Congrats Harry! Enjoy your new rifle.
Good deal all around.

My apologies to everyone for the drawing delay, April 1st was the earliest we could gather everyone in one place. I think that Susan is still in a state of shock after opening the envelope. I'll post something from her soon and will work with her to define suitable charities to donate funds to, youth hunting and fishing programs would be top of the list, if anyone has any suggestions, feel free to chip in. I know she has some ideas already, but more wouldn't hurt. Once this is finalized, I'll post the charities that will receive funds.

I very heartfelt thanks to Scott Kane for his hard work and dedication organizing this effort, to Cliff for his exceedingly generous donation of the pre-war M70 action and bottom-metal, to Ken at Brux for the barrel, to Mark Banser for the stock, to Doug at Camera Land NY for helping with the Swarovski Z3, and thanks especially to Nate Chesney at Hillbilly Custom Rifles for putting everything together.

I'll update everyone soon, Bob's family are all deeply touched and grateful for your kindness and generosity.

--Matt
Congratulations too Battue, enjoy that fine rifle. smile

A BIG thank you too all involved with this most respectfully cool campaign of honor too our old friend Bob!
Congrats Battue and everyone involved.....CLASS ACT!!!
Congrats Battue! Enjoy that rifle.
Nice! Post pics with groups and game.
Congrats Battue! Even though I don't know you, other than seeing your name on here, I am glad a regular on here won it!
Congrats Battue!

Bunch of great people here.
Just curious, but how much $$ did this effort raise?

***drum roll***

[Linked Image]

Speaking of which Scott, I don't think my check has been cashed?

No rush, just checking...
I was out of town...just saw all of this. congrats Battue! Let's see the finished product!
Thanks for the thumbs up from all. As soon as it arrives pics will be posted.
Susan will cash checks this week, FYI
Congrats Battue!
Here's the latest photos of the build!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
That's going to be one awesome rifle when it is complete. I cannot wait to see some targets and the eventual buck laying under it. Huge congrats again and well deserved.

Hope you have a good stash of 130 Partitions to warm the barrel up. Wished I had some 130 BBC's to send.
Nathan:

Thanks for the progress report.

Beretzs:

Must admit I'm looking forward to its arrival. Next trip or order will have some 130gr Partitions. Will shoot some factory to get brass.

I didn't deserve anything, but good luck is never a bad thing. smile
Battue

Congratulations! That is one sweet rig and I know you will give it a good home.

Lucky Dog. Bob is smiling!

WN
Nathan:

Thanks for the progress report.

Beretzs:

Must admit I'm looking forward to its arrival. Next trip or order will have some 130gr Partitions. Will shoot some factory to get brass.

I didn't deserve anything, but good luck is never a bad thing. smile

That's going to shoot everything great I bet. Cannot beat a great 270 in my opinion. Bob was truly a good dude and when he wanted to plant deer you knew a 270 wasn't too far away.

He did talk me into a 30-06 P64 Featherweight right at Christmas. He had the recipe on good rifles and what made them worth having.

That's going to shoot everything great I bet. Cannot beat a great 270 in my opinion. Bob was truly a good dude and when he wanted to plant deer you knew a 270 wasn't too far away.

He did talk me into a 30-06 P64 Featherweight right at Christmas. He had the recipe on good rifles and what made them worth having.

Bob will be missed here and I wish I could have known him in person. One of the things I'm really interested in is how this rifle balances out and carries while moving around.
Congrats Battue
If it doesn't handle to your satisfaction I would be willing to make room for it in my safe. grin
Just wanted to extend another thank you to the 88 gracious folks that participated in the drawing.

I'm sure we'll be seeing more photos of the rifle in the coming days as well news along the way in regards to the charitable gifts.

The trigger guard needed a little work.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Congrats battue...nice outfit for sure and glad one of the regulars walked away with all the marbles!

[Linked Image]

I guess! Thanks for making this happen Nathan. And nice work. I'm looking forward to seeing Battue's rifle when it's done.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Sorry for the extra work.... That is how Blackburn produced his bottom metal.
The rifle is in the home stretch.

[Linked Image]
Gonna be a fine rifle, he was a great guy!!
Very nice and very damned true Hanco!
The rifle is in the home stretch.

[Linked Image]

Perfect choice. 👍
No pressure battue. You screw up this deal you'll be the most hated man on the 'fire. grin
I've been "out of pocket" for an extended period of time, and I'm just know learning of Bob's passing.

Condolences to his friends and family. I only "knew" Bob from the Campfire, but have traded PM's with him over the years. A truly nice guy. His presence around the 'fire will be missed.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
No pressure battue. You screw up this deal you'll be the most hated man on the 'fire. grin

And I'm the guy who not that long ago posted I wouldn't own a .270W. In addition, I've been fairly fortunate the last couple years in crossing paths with some nice representative Pa Bucks. I'm due for an off year. Best do more than usual scouting this year. 😀

laugh laugh laugh

laugh laugh laugh

Can't be shooting dinks with Bob's rifle neither! whistle
Any photos of the final product?

[Linked Image]

How many of you guys are going to PAY 399.99 to Photobucket to RELAY your pix!....I AIN'T

Jerry

How many of you guys are going to PAY 399.99 to Photobucket to RELAY your pix!....I AIN'T

Jerry[/quote]

Great minds think alike, Jerry! That's just re-friggn-diculous!

Jerry

I'm looking for a good alternative. Any suggestions?
Same here. That's ridiculous
Post Image has worked well for the 15-20 pics I've posted.

Curious about the finished rifle and charitable donation as well.
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264
Any photos of the final product?

Talked with him last week. Still working on it.
Cub, yes, check thread in Campfire "Photobucket Shake Down"

Rocky Raab gives a method to copy - paste. I think it's on P 2 or 3

imgur.com is working for some. I haven't gotten there yet, but headed.

Jerry

edit: Ha! Until it doesn't!
Cub, yes, check thread in Campfire "Photobucket Shake Down"

Rocky Raab gives a method to copy - paste. I think it's on P 2 or 3

imgur.com is working for some. I haven't gotten there yet, but headed.

Jerry

Ok ..... thanks smile
Alright, this update has been a long time in coming and your patience regarding this endeavor is much appreciated.

The rifle is completed and will soon be on its way to battue!
The results with 130 Partitions and R26 (see test targets) would surely have put a smile on Bob’s face. (and it will battue’s face as well grin)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Thanks to all of you that took part in raising $6450 that has been donated in Bob’s name to the charities listed in the below message from his family.

And special thanks to the following for their astounding generosity on the components in the rifle build, and, of course, Nathan Chesney for putting it all together.

Ken @ Brux Barrels – barrel donation

Mark Bansner – stock donation

Cliff/whitebird – pre 64 M70 action and Blackburn bottom metal donation

Doug @ Cameraland – significant discount on scope

Nathan Chesney - Hillbilly Custom Rifles – complete rifle build and load development

Message from Bob’s family:

Thank you for this amazing tribute to Bob, but most of all than you for your friendship. This past year was exceeding difficult. However, each of you helped make it easier for Bob. You were always there to help him focus on the things he loved rather than the daily struggle to fight cancer. Your friendship and generosity continues as seen with the custom rifle. We haven’t had the strength to read all of the posts from everyone in Bob’s memory. I’m sure we will all cherish them one by one in due time. We thank you for that.

Bob was an amazing individual and we were blessed to have him in our lives. He lived every minute to the fullest and he will be sorely missed. Bob faced everything in life with passion, determination and humor; and cancer was no exception. We’d like to share a little memory from last year with you. Bob entered th 6th floor of the Brigham and Women’s Hospital knowing he was facing 10 days of intense non-stop chemotherapy again. He pushes through the double doors of the isolation ward; stands facing the nurses station; throws his arms wide and with a big smile he announces to all “Hi everyone! I’m back!”

In honor of Bob donations will be made to the following organizations: Youth Shooting Sports Alliance, Mule Deer Foundation, Bass Unlimited, Dana Farber and Challenge Unlimited.

The Farese family.

grin
That sucker is beautiful and shoots like crazy! Congrats again Battue. As I've been shooting my new Mashburn I've resisted send Bob a text saying, "you're right, this thing is easy". What a good dude. Miss him everytime I burn a bunch of H1000!
I've had a heads-up Scott was about to post pics and previously saw a couple of the above. It certainly is a special rifle and one I hope to use successfully this coming year. Can't make any guarantees since it looks like I will be hunting new grounds this year. But Lord willing we will give it our best go. Knowing how much Bob was respected here and at home, perhaps just having the opportunity to hunt with it is blessing enough for now.

As an aside, I have had the opportunity to talk with Nathan a couple times in the last month. He obviously builds a great rifle, but even more, he is highly dedicated and enthusiastic with regard his craft. It comes thru in talking with him. The guy overflows with enthusiasm and takes extreme pride in the rifles he makes. If any are thinking of a future build-dumb question hey-I doubt if you would not be pleased with the final product and working thru the build with him. I get the impression if he isn't completely satisfied, then HBR will not go on the rifle until he is.

All that is left is to have the FFL sent to him on Friday and then wait a few more days. Not sure I will be able to tuck them in as tight as him, but I think the rifle will still shine.
Fantastic ! ! ! !

Looks So Very Nice and S H O O T S so very well. Congrats Battue.

I miss Bob more than I can express and I never met him.

Jerry
Thanks for posting, Scott.

I appreciate the update, and another thanks to all who contributed in some way, big and small, to this effort.

donsm70
AWESOME!
That sure came out nice!
Thanks to all who helped bring this about. Bob's presence on the 24 Hour Campfire added immeasurably to the forum. He is missed, but such a project helps keep his memory alive.
This is fantastic.
It certainly is a special rifle and one I hope to use successfully this coming year. Can't make any guarantees since it looks like I will be hunting new grounds this year. But Lord willing we will give it our best go.

Hey, no pressure. whistle whistle

laugh
That is the second time I've heard that. grin I could lay up at my Cousins farm and wait, usually a lot of Does, but the Bucks are not that great. But, I would rather roam around more. May go there for a Doe, however.

Could go to the Mountains with very few Does but some hog Bucks. Best get a game plan going and do some extra scouting around.
Beautifully done! No doubt, a labor out of respect for a beloved gentleman. Again, congrats to battue. I know it will be treasured!
Ruger, that is probably the best summation of the entirety of it from beginning to end.

Carrying that rifle around is going to be an emotional experience. My wish is for it to spend its entire existence in the family. wink
That is a beauty! Glad we could all take part in it!
That is a fine lookin' setup, very nice!
Outstanding 👍Hope you slay the buck of your dreams this fall😎
Alright, this update has been a long time in coming and your patience regarding this endeavor is much appreciated.

The rifle is completed and will soon be on its way to battue!
The results with 130 Partitions and R26 (see test targets) would surely have put a smile on Bob’s face. (and it will battue’s face as well grin)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Thanks to all of you that took part in raising $6450 that has been donated in Bob’s name to the charities listed in the below message from his family.

And special thanks to the following for their astounding generosity on the components in the rifle build, and, of course, Nathan Chesney for putting it all together.

Ken @ Brux Barrels – barrel donation

Mark Bansner – stock donation

Cliff/whitebird – pre 64 M70 action and Blackburn bottom metal donation

Doug @ Cameraland – significant discount on scope

Nathan Chesney - Hillbilly Custom Rifles – complete rifle build and load development

Message from Bob’s family:

Thank you for this amazing tribute to Bob, but most of all than you for your friendship. This past year was exceeding difficult. However, each of you helped make it easier for Bob. You were always there to help him focus on the things he loved rather than the daily struggle to fight cancer. Your friendship and generosity continues as seen with the custom rifle. We haven’t had the strength to read all of the posts from everyone in Bob’s memory. I’m sure we will all cherish them one by one in due time. We thank you for that.

Bob was an amazing individual and we were blessed to have him in our lives. He lived every minute to the fullest and he will be sorely missed. Bob faced everything in life with passion, determination and humor; and cancer was no exception. We’d like to share a little memory from last year with you. Bob entered th 6th floor of the Brigham and Women’s Hospital knowing he was facing 10 days of intense non-stop chemotherapy again. He pushes through the double doors of the isolation ward; stands facing the nurses station; throws his arms wide and with a big smile he announces to all “Hi everyone! I’m back!”

In honor of Bob donations will be made to the following organizations: Youth Shooting Sports Alliance, Mule Deer Foundation, Bass Unlimited, Dana Farber and Challenge Unlimited.

The Farese family.

Well, it sure put a smile on my face, big time! Congrats to all who contributed. I hope and believe your good deeds will come back around to you. Congrats to battue as well.
battue,

If you have even the slightest inkling of feeding that thing a single VLD, I might recommend keeping an eye on the skies and probably doing so beneath a good shelter. laugh
What an absolutely clean pure hunting rifle, and wonderful respectful campaign, well done all, Bob is smiling, and battue will be smiling more than he is now when he trips the trigger on the first of hopefully many head of game.
battue,

If you have even the slightest inkling of feeding that thing a single VLD, I might recommend keeping an eye on the skies and probably doing so beneath a good shelter. laugh

😀 Never touch the stuff and have no intention of starting.
Great looking rifle. Hope all goes well for you this hunting season. Please provide updates as appropriate. Miss the conversations with Bob but this is good medicine! Thanks to all who helped in the effort.
Coming home from walking Merlot, had a nice Buck cross the road in front of the 4Runner. Looked like an 8, but all even. Around an 18-19in spread with high tines. Perhaps a good omen for the coming season. Unfortunately a place I can't hunt him. grin

The rifle should show up in a day or two.
Who knows? They can travel miles during the rut. Looking forward to seeing pics this Fall.
Great looking rifle... Battue, best wishes on many hunts with that rifle.
Originally Posted by Whitebird
Great looking rifle... Battue, best wishes on many hunts with that rifle.

Yes it is and thanks for helping to make it happen. In addition, I'm liking the SN.😎
The hunts are winding down, but not intending to quit yet. 😀
OK, Bob's rifle arrived Saturday and today it went to the range. Little windy, mostly from behind and had the trees above the backstop swirling. Hot--84F
Took 3 to get it close to center.

First off the rifle:

[Linked Image]

Wanted to make brass so the first three were with Nosler 150gr LRAB. I can live with that for a start.

[Linked Image]

Second group I used 3 of Nathans 130gr handloads and I obviously didnt do as well as him. Still OK.

[Linked Image]

Third group was three more with the Nosler 150 LRAB. It shined again.

[Linked Image]

Handloads need to be worked on and move it out, but little doubt the rifle has great potential.

Thanks to all who did the work to have it all come together. I'm sure Bob is pleased.

Scott asked me what I thought of the rifle:

Parts fit: Perfect.

Trigger: Model 70 triggers have a definitive characteristic in that there is a little creep. Even ones worked on by a good Smith usually have some that are easily detectable. Not this one. I talked to Nathan about it yesterday and he said it is there, but he did his best to not have it be evident. His best was better than good enough.

Finish: Can't find a flaw.

Rifle by itself came in at 7lbs 15oz + a smidge. kinda surprised with the bottom metal. Thought it would be more. Balance is just ahead of the front screw. Pretty nice.

Finally, something that jumped out at me. I've had a few bolt rifles worked on by a good smith. With everyone, when you dryfire them the bolt will lift some. Vibrations coming thru from the firing pin falling. Those vibrations are not good for accuracy. With this one, I can't see any jump and I looked hard. Again mentioned it to Nathan and he said that was an excellent receiver he started out with. Well, now it is an excellent plus.

None of this is BS due to circumstances.

Nathan Chesney builds a great rifle. Perhaps some of you should give him consideration on your next build.

Battue,
Again congratulations. Downside to that rifle is it could make all your other rifles obsolete?
What a great shooting rifle. Congrats again.
Excellent.. From one fine member to another.. Bob H and battle make the Fire worthwhile..
Battue,
Again congratulations. Downside to that rifle is it could make all your other rifles obsolete?

Driving back from the range that same thought crossed my mind. grin
Scott asked me what I thought of the rifle:

Parts fit: Perfect.

Trigger: Model 70 triggers have a definitive characteristic in that there is a little creep. Even ones worked on by a good Smith usually have some that are easily detectable. Not this one. I talked to Nathan about it yesterday and he said it is there, but he did his best to not have it be evident. His best was better than good enough.

Finish: Can't find a flaw.

Rifle by itself came in at 7lbs 15oz + a smidge. kinda surprised with the bottom metal. Thought it would be more. Balance is just ahead of the front screw. Pretty nice.

Finally, something that jumped out at me. I've had a few bolt rifles worked on by a good smith. With everyone, when you dryfire them the bolt will lift some. Vibrations coming thru from the firing pin falling. Those vibrations are not good for accuracy. With this one, I can't see any jump and I looked hard. Again mentioned it to Nathan and he said that was an excellent receiver he started out with. Well, now it is an excellent plus.

None of this is BS due to circumstances.

Nathan Chesney builds a great rifle. Perhaps some of you should give him consideration on your next build.

Congrats Battue! That's a great looking rifle. All business. Hope you roll a monster PA buck.

7lb 15oz or 6lb 15 oz for the bare rifle? Near 8lb's seems heavy for a 22" 1 contour and a, I assume, light weight stock? Or is that rifle, mounts, scope.....
Tag
As in the pic rifle plus mounts and scope.

Addition: Good question in that originally it wasn't all that clear.
Most excellent!
Keep us posted on its progress.
And fingers crossed that something walks in front of it for you in the coming months.
Sorry battue my iPad changed the name to battle... Enjoy!!!
As in the pic rifle plus mounts and scope.

Addition: Good question in that originally it wasn't all that clear.

I kinda figured after reading the post again. With the 150 LRAB shooting that well, I'd have a hard time not just buying a big stack of them and running it as the one load to do it all.
Congrats "battle" whistle

Great Rifle. My thanks & appreciation to all who made it happen !!! cool

First groups are excellent for right off the bat !!

Even tho I'd love to own it, I don't think I'll be able to hunt enuff yrs to do it justice.
I'm jealous tho anyway.

Enjoy

Jerry
Have a feeling this is going to be one of those rifles that shoot most anything well.
Originally Posted by MadMooner
... With the 150 LRAB shooting that well, I'd have a hard time not just buying a big stack of them and running it as the one load to do it all. ...

This ^^^^^ Load development = Waiting for SPS to have them on sale and then "load up" the credit card...

Received a Nosler 40% off card when I purchased a Dillon press from SPS. Purchased "several" boxes of the Nosler Trophy Grade .270Win with 130gr NAB's. Shot comparable to the two loads above in 4 different rifles. Now, not sure that I need the press.
Battue,

1) Beautiful rifle.
2) I'm sure you can do better with handloads. However, practically speaking, any of the groups above would be more than sufficient for any KY or PA white tail hunting that I have done.
3) I'm jealous...

Enjoy !
You all are probably right, but I'm fairly sure Bob would fret some if I didn't mess with it.
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Sorry battue my iPad changed the name to battle... Enjoy!!!

I plan on doing just that. smile
You all are probably right, but I'm fairly sure Bob would fret some if I didn't mess with it.

Bob would fret big time if you did not at least try to wring out everything possible. Mess away and have fun doing it. Looks like you are off to a grand start.
Well as far as having something walk by: Just now out the front door window; for sure the yard Deer don't seem scared of it. It's already dry-fired on a couple of them. Solid shoulder holds too, but it didn't seem to phase them.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It must have one of those 'quiet safeties' laugh
I've been telling you all Nathan is good because everyone knows you can't slip an as issued Model 70 off quietly without being a rifle Houdini....

[Linked Image]

I knew the closest one was a buck fawn--before I ZOOMED him.
Give him 4 yrs at least.

Jerry
There have been a few rarely seen studs. By four the big boys disappear. When they die it is usually either by car or arrow.
Have a feeling this is going to be one of those rifles that shoot most anything well.

That is Bob's kinda rifle. If it didn't shoot a few things decent it didn't stick around long.
It must have one of those 'quiet safeties' laugh

You got me wondering, so I picked it up. Again. grin Not sure if Nathan worked on the safety or not, but there would be no reason to ease this one off. Push it forward hard and they are not going to hear it. Perhaps if they are in petting range, but even then maybe not.
You sure you want to shoot one way back in like that? It'd be a difficult drag out.
Originally Posted by smokepole
You sure you want to shoot one way back in like that? It'd be a difficult drag out.

I'll use the Yamaha Rhino. As long as I can get the one next to the driveway. (That's a steep hill to the other three.)
Progress update: So far have not been able to match factor groups with my reloads. Which issss starting to get old. However, so far have settled on 140gr Accubonds. Will be trying some 140gr Partitions shortly. Solid 1MOA out to 200, but I'm sure it has a little more to give. I just haven't hit on it yet. Hot again, wind 5-10.

Around 150 have been shot. Will get it's first cleaning tonight or tomorrow.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Discovered a loose screw on the occular ring mount. Groups have shrunk. This would be the best one of the day. Leupold 6x42 with HD

[Linked Image]
Nice shootin' Hoss!

58-59 grains of H4831sc and a 140 Accubond is the money load.....
Wow! That sucker is singing now! Very nice Battue!
I'm glad it found a good home.

donsm70
S.a.a.a.weet !
Congrats all the way around.

See what you've been missing in 270s ? whistle

Jerry
The rest were around .75, but with a 6x and HD I'm better than happy. Now to try and work up a partition load since that was Bob's deal. Nathan gave me one that sang when he shot it, but so far I haven't been able to make it happen.
Looks like it'll be ready for fall. Hopefully it's as lucky as you are.
Nice shootin' Hoss!

I think I saw you mention that at one time. grin
The rest were around .75, but with a 6x and HD I'm better than happy. Now to try and work up a partition load since that was Bob's deal. Nathan gave me one that sang when he shot it, but so far I haven't been able to make it happen.

Appears to have perked!
Harry, FWIW, Nate uses a fixed 20x with a small dot (IIRC) when shooting customer rifles.
With a 6X HD scope, I'd be mighty happy with that cluster.
Nice shootin' Hoss!

Yes looks excellent! Have you chronographed that load? I just came from the range yesterday with chronographed data for 58gr of H4831SC for a Montana 84L and a RAR.
This morning: Full disclosure--two other three shot 100 yard groups snuck over one inch. On the 200 yard group, I said to myself if number 3 goes in with numbers 1 and 2, I can't post it. It would just have someone thinking BS. It still not may be a good idea, but here it is. Don't get sloppy on the trigger and this rifle shows it's stuff.

Sent a text to Nathan saying the kids use the term "sick" to describe something crazy good. This rifle is definitely "sick."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

No chrono on this end, but it looks like it should be 3000fps plus a little.

Another bonus is it doesn't mind being shot dirty.

Show off. laugh laugh

Good shootin'!
😂

I was worried for awhile. It shot good at first, then tailed off. Then I discovered the loose screw on the ring when changing scopes and the worries left.

Some of you should give Nathan a look when you are considering another build.

[Linked Image]

That's 'pretty' good..... considering you missed the target !! whistle
grin grin

Jerry
3 times in a row, and the reason I quit right there. grin
And no Leupold Leap! laugh

My, *gulp*, .270 is a couple of weeks out. smile
[Linked Image]
Nice!
And no Leupold Leap! laugh

My, *gulp*, .270 is a couple of weeks out. smile
[Linked Image]

Hmmmm, dueling .270's laugh

(And me the one who at one time posted here I would never have a .270W. Never say never.)
Nate's shop is impressive in person. Lots of nice stuff. A guy that truly loves what he does.
I feel guilty the times I have called him. In that, he seems willing to talk rifles and answer questions till, well till I start feeling guilty about taking up his time.

Of course, perhaps I shouldn't feel all that bad. He says there is this one customer who calls him just about every week. He mentioned a name, almost like I should know who it would be. grin
I called him probably once a month and for no less than 10-20 minutes each time. When I went to his shop to pick up the rifle we talked for 3.5 hours and that felt very brief at best.

He's a great guy. I still need to get some good pictures of my rifle and get out to shoot it.
skane what action is that a remington Nathan scalloped on the side ?

no wonder i cant get my stock job back with you guys bothering him.............
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Nice!

WCH, it's a shooter. You would like it I'm sure.
Originally Posted by gene270
skane what action is that a remington Nathan scalloped on the side ?

no wonder i cant get my stock job back with you guys bothering him.............

LOL. Yep, 700 action.
I feel guilty the times I have called him. In that, he seems willing to talk rifles and answer questions till, well till I start feeling guilty about taking up his time.

Of course, perhaps I shouldn't feel all that bad. He says there is this one customer who calls him just about every week. He mentioned a name, almost like I should know who it would be. grin

whistle whistle

Always to BS - never to hound for updates.
Bob's .270 is officially signed off for 2017 Pa Deer. Almost no wind so took it to 300 today. A little bit of guessing going on with the 6xHD, but it kept 4 in just under 2.5inch. Then rang some 10inch steel.
Accubond again beat the partition on paper. Nice thing is, it is the same load and almost the same POI at 100.

I think it would get scary with a different sighting combination.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Dang! I'd say Bob is smiling about that! Great shooting.
looks great!
Bob approves! smile

[Linked Image]
Bob approves! smile

[Linked Image]

YES, Bob approves, BIG TIME!
Skane thanks for that....what a great picture....I miss hearing "bwawb" messages on the answering machine...
Bob approves! smile

[Linked Image]

That grabs at the heart more than a little. wink
It would seem that the rifle found a perfect home.

donsm70
Harry,

Do you happen to have some camo like Bob is donning in the latest photo? laugh
Yes, I do. Especially on a warmer day. Can't say I can match the UA chapeau, but I often hang the same binos the same way. And as he mentioned at one time. "I've been known to shirt sleeve em."
Although it appears I am one up with using the harness. laugh

[Linked Image]

I am just catching up on a couple of threads and didn't realize Bob lived so close to me. Wished I would of been able to have a beer with him and hear some of his stories in person!
Did a little scout in a favorite evening ground blind for the upcoming Deer Season. Took Merlot and he not only can smell them, but also see them a good ways off. In three hours ended up seeing 23 Deer and these Turkeys. Two Bucks, but neither would have been legal for this unit. No chasing going on, but we have the Does and they should draw in the Boys.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This one was close and had Merlot quivering, but he held.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sounds like it was a good evening for you with plenty of potential ahead. Nice photos and thanks for sharing.

My Dad and I went out with the spotlight last night, saw about 20 within a mile of his house. Labor Day weekend we saw 50 on the same trip.

Dale
Deer season in a couple weeks, so the final tuneup with Bob's Rifle; the rifle is most definitely ready.

100yards
[Linked Image]

300Yards: (This left it too high at 100 for my liking. So 100 ended up with a final approx 3in high. If I have to go 300, the hold will be high hair.)

[Linked Image]

And since Bob always advocated field positions we ended up with this. The one at the top, I forgot I always tend to shoot high from field-especially off hand-so I had to drop down the POA.

[Linked Image]

This rifle doesn't take much effort to shoot well. I think Bob would have liked it.

I for one miss his thoughtful, articulate posts.
I'm sure you are not the only one.

He loved his Deer hunting and this would be a good time to remember.
Even though I was on here a short time before he left us way too early, it seems that some of the gentlemen who seemed to always be in the same threads he would interject his views on no longer write as much these days. Either that, or I just don't look on the right threads. But this is a good time to say, thank you to those on the Campfire who entertain, amuse, inspire, and teach this old dog. Thanks...Eddie
battue, now go out and wack a 'Monsta'...as Bwawb would say!
Well, I'm pretty sure there are no "Monsta's" there, but there are a couple that would be nice to tag and right now, they are a little nuts over the females. Of which there are more than a few.

Some others that are legal as would be expected and it always seems a few Bucks show up that none knew were around. Should be interesting.
Hey, no pressure, Harry. laugh

Good luck - hope you find a buck whilst toting that one.
Hey, no pressure, Harry. laugh

Good luck - hope you find a buck whilst toting that one.

When carrying this rifle this season, I've decided to become the Alfred E. Newman of Deer hunting. 😉
Good luck Battue!
We should do a group campfire hunt in Kansas.

Pre-64s in .270 only!

Bob would love it.
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

Pre-64s in .270 only!

Bob would love it.

I'm in.
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

Pre-64s in .270 only!

Bob would love it.

I'm in.

Same here.
I could be in depending on schedule. If so, and if some would like to shoot a Deer with Bob's rifle, then it could be passed around as much as possible.
There's a lot of story to the .270 and the ranch that Bob, dad and I hunted in KS. The owner (and rifle aficionado) of the ranch inherited a general contempt for the .277 from his grandfather. So when both my father and Bob planned to both show up with .270's, it raised a brow. When chatting in the field, I always stood at least 10ft from each of them for fear one of them would get struck by lighting for carrying a .270 on that ground. laugh

It's still a running joke to this day - "Is your dad bringing his rainbow-unicorn rifle again this year?" grin
We are at it. So far in the first two days of the Pa Deer season, we have seen 22 Deer. Two Bucks, neither legal.

Today was hot at 65 degrees in the mid-afternoon.

Some of the country we are hunting.

[Linked Image]

Up on top of the first pic.

[Linked Image]

Caught this guy out in the open, and did a bent over-belly crawl to get within around 150. Eventually he bedded down, but he didn't have enough points up. He is between the trees.
Waited around for maybe 30min thinking maybe another Buck would show. Eventually ran out of patience and moved on. Four Deer in this pic.

[Linked Image]

He had some ladies.

[Linked Image]
Great rifle & great picture of Bob ..
Does, Does and more Does. So far at least 70. Some more than once. Bouncing them out of their beds, catching them feeding, but only 3 small Bucks. Hot again, today in the middle 50's.

Was looking for this one, but a Bud found him first.

Again to be clear. A Bud shot this one in the area I hunt. He was pushed out on a drive. There are a couple more there almost as good. It seems as if the temps have most bedded down in the shadows until just before the lights go dim.

[Linked Image]

Ran into these four while going to an evening stand. Does are in, but I'm not all that interested in shooting one.

[Linked Image]
Nice buck for your buddy. I have had the same experience this season.

donsm70
These two thought they were safe in the grass. And they were. Does are in, but there was no need.

[Linked Image]

Coming out:

[Linked Image]
Today it came together and more so than could have ever been imagined. Had already still hunted for 3 hours-bounced 6 out of their beds-and then hooked up with the Bud who shot the one pictured yesterday said, "You want me to push out that little thicket?" "Ya. let's do it." 30minutes or so later 4 Does and this guy came running out at around 50yards. Got on him and finally was running the cross hairs in sync. He hit an opening and I hit the trigger. Saw him hunch in the scope and figured I hit middle on my side with a little angle on the other. Got another off to no effect. Went up and found hair and blood and the further I went the more there was. He made it perhaps 60 yards before going down. I think Bob would approve of the shot.

[Linked Image]

Not much else to say. It happened quick and there wasn't any time to think about it. I hunted every day, saw many Deer, and this was the fourth Buck.

[Linked Image]
Nice!!!
I think Bob would approve of the shot.
[Linked Image]

Ummmmm, AND the buck!

This is so awesome! Congrats Harry!
Outstanding. and a great buck.
Congrats Battue!

Ummmmm, AND the buck!

This is so awesome! Congrats Harry!

I've put in the time and the effort and I mentioned that to him. I'd like to think he perhaps had something to do with the ending.
Big Congrats, beautiful buck ( and rifle) it's been fun following along on your hunt...., you bet Bob's smiling!
I had some help, from a best friend who I have hunted with for 40 plus years.
Unbelievable Harry! That's a beauty!!!! Just wow!
That rifle has good mojo! congrats, Bob is smiling. wink
Way to go and a damn fine old Buck. Love the character in that Rack.. And that .270 ain't gay. smile
Well done...
Outstanding! What a PA deer to be taken with a special rifle. I didn't know Bob like many of you, but I bet he's nodding with approval.
Incredible buck! Congrats. I imagine old Bobby is beaming!
Great buck, congrats. Bob is smilin'
Beautiful buck. Congrats!
This human interest story just got better. Congrats battue.
Very cool.
Thanks for posting this fall.
Awesome buck Harry! Good mojo on that rifle...

I actually saw the picture and said, "I know that guy!". I got on here and looked up this thread. I couldn't be happier for you.
Thanks to all, but I think there was more going on than any hunting abilities on my part.

An for an FYI, Shortactionsmoker also put me onto a really nice Buck a few years back. smile
Congrats, Harry! This has been an awesome story to watch unfold. One of the best things about the Campfire...
Way cool! Makes my heart happy to see the rifle used for a big deer by a good guy, in a manner in which Bob was a proponent.
Bob would like that!!
That's a JIM DANDY ! ! ! ! wink

I'm so very glad for you and the guys who BUILT that rifle. cool

F A N T A S T I C. smile

Now, whatcha think of a 270?

Jerry
That is a great buck. Congrats, Battue.

Well done.
Congrats way to hunt hard and this is a fitting tribute to Bob!
Heck of a deer Battue. I'm sure Bob approves. Congratulations.
That's a great buck!
What a wonderful way to start the lucky rifle, congrats all-around for the rifle and buck.
That rifle has good mojo! congrats, Bob is smiling. wink

That's exactly what I was thinking, way to go Harry!
Great buck, story and memories.

Congrats.

donsm70
Campfire at its finest! Good job Battue.
Outstanding.. Congratulations!!!
Wowee! and a great story to go along with it.

Dale
Way to go, Harry!! Thrilled for you, awesome buck, way to get out there and break in that rig just how we all hoped it would be!!!
Outstanding!!!!!!! Bob is smiling down!!!!! Congratulations!
Great buck!
I think Bob would approve of the shot.

[Linked Image]

Indeed he would!

Next year, I'd like to see you shoot a small one and win the dink contest!

I happen to know that IngweJudge is a softie, and he might accept a lower bribe than is his custom because he'd like the 24hour "Bob" rifle to win!

John
I sincerely hope that you are NOT serious !!

Bob was known as a 'Maven' for big antlers. I can't imagine he'd be honored to win a
'dink' contest.

May wiser heads prevail.

Jerry

ps: I took at least 2 hrs before responding. This is the most polite I could possibly be.
Jwall,

Don't fret, I have no desire to win the dink contest with Bob's or any of my rifles. Fun event and I find no fault with those who want to participate. I even posted a dink I had shot years ago when it all started, however letting them grow to at least representative size is more interesting on this end.

I'm sure it was all meant in fun with no disrespect towards Bob. He probably would have laughed while he thought "Not for me."
Holy Moses that’s a BUCK! Very, very nice shooting excellent work Bob’s spirit obviously abides...
Jwall,

Don't fret, I have no desire to win the dink contest with Bob's or any of my rifles.
... however letting them grow to at least representative size is more interesting on this end.

Thank You Battue.

Jerry
Great original thread and great outcome. Nice job Battue on a real woods Fall experience. Bob would be proud to be attached to something like this.

Well done and a worthy rifle and cause.
Wow!!!! I just came across this. Congratulations, Harry!!!! What a great buck!!!!!! I bet that one makes the wall.
Definelty wall worthy, hunted Pa many years, thats a special deer without the Bob mojo.
Again, thanks to all. It will go on the wall, but it will be a European mount.
Today it came together and more so than could have ever been imagined. Had already still hunted for 3 hours-bounced 6 out of their beds-and then hooked up with the Bud who shot the one pictured yesterday said, "You want me to push out that little thicket?" "Ya. let's do it." 30minutes or so later 4 Does and this guy came running out at around 50yards. Got on him and finally was running the cross hairs in sync. He hit an opening and I hit the trigger. Saw him hunch in the scope and figured I hit middle on my side with a little angle on the other. Got another off to no effect. Went up and found hair and blood and the further I went the more there was. He made it perhaps 60 yards before going down. I think Bob would approve of the shot.

[Linked Image]

Not much else to say. It happened quick and there wasn't any time to think about it. I hunted every day, saw many Deer, and this was the fourth Buck.

[Linked Image]

CONGRATULATIONS!
Hell of a deal Congrats! beautiful buck, beautiful rifle, Bob would approve. smile
Good job! That's a nice Pa buck.
© 24hourcampfire