Home
Posted By: andymick32 Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/10/18
Been thinking about buying a Tikka T3X Lite stainless in 308 or 7mm 08 and then upgrading the stock to possibly a Bell and Carlson. What other rifle would you buy for around the same price $950-1000 before the Tikka?
Posted By: CORDrew Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/10/18
I have two Tikka T3Xs and had a T3 that I sold. My current rifles are a 30-06 and a 6.5CM. I can't think of another rifle I'd buy in the price range. There are some other competitors if you want to go cheaper (Ruger American, Savage 16/116) or spend some more money (Kimber, Barrett, Winchester, and others), but to me the Tikka is the best balance of performance and price. What I would say for sure is don't spend your money on the B&C stock. I had one and sold it pretty quickly. It added weight, didn't imrpove performance, and the original tikka stock is good in all respects. I actually like the feel of the orginal T3x stock better than the B&C. If you want to change appearance paint it, or have it dipped. If you want a better stock spend more money on an McM or another high quality, light stock. My suggestion: Buy the tikka, use the original stock, and spend the money you would have spent on the B&C on a nicer scope.
Posted By: rockchucker Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/10/18
look at whittaker guns. their tikkas, they are priced right.

id buy a tikka before id buy any other production rifle.

all 4 ive owned are tack drivers and carry very well
Posted By: Dan700mn Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/10/18
If not a tikka I would look at bergera rifles
Posted By: lhead71 Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/10/18
If you buy a Tikka lite stainless and an MCM you're in Barrett territory and saying this, I own both and I would spend the money on the latter if you go that way.

But, If you want a great shooting rifle that doesn’t weigh a ton and has a nice slick action then you can’t go wrong with the Tikka. My Tikka T3 stainless lite in 308 is honestly one of the most accurate guns I own and is not finicky with ammo choices. It's twisted right and is an all around great rifle. But I just got the Barrett and have only been to the range twice with it, so I’m still getting to know it. but so far, it is awesome and all I could ever want in a lightweight, quick handling, accurate package.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/10/18
I have a T3 in 7mm-08, so does my brother. He bought me a B&C stock for Christmas or I wouldn't have bought one. He put a B&C on his, too. Mine doesn't shoot any better and it's a little heavier. His didn't shoot near as well as before, despite experimenting with torque. He put the old stock back on, sub-MOA.

Buy the T3 or T3x and shoot it first.

P
Posted By: andymick32 Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/10/18
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I have a T3 in 7mm-08, so does my brother. He bought me a B&C stock for Christmas or I wouldn't have bought one. He put a B&C on his, too. Mine doesn't shoot any better and it's a little heavier. His didn't shoot near as well as before, despite experimenting with torque. He put the old stock back on, sub-MOA.

P

That's disappointing to hear. I just don't like the looks and feel of the factory stock, although I've never held the B&C sporter stock either. Regardless, I would hate to sacrifice accuracy for looks and add weight too.
Posted By: Remington280 Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/10/18
I installed my factory Tikka T3x stock on a barreled action that I purchased from my buddy and couldn't be happier. At first I didn't like the looks of the stock but once installed my '06 shoots sub moa. I also have a B&C medalist on another Tikka in stainless, and really like it also.
Posted By: CORDrew Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/10/18
Originally Posted by andymick32

P

That's disappointing to hear. I just don't like the looks and feel of the factory stock, although I've never held the B&C sporter stock either. Regardless, I would hate to sacrifice accuracy for looks and add weight too.

I really doubt you would sacrifice accuracy... it's just that tikkas generally shoot so well as they come from the factory that the B&C stocks don't make a noticeable improvement, at least it didn't for me or anyone I've heard from. I do think they look better than the plain black factory stock. But you do gain weight. 6oz by my scale

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If you like the BC better you should go for it. Mine was certainly effective with the BC stock on it.

[Linked Image]

In terms of looks, I like the spiderweb look BC does. This is a stock I painted that way. It's a savage lightweight hunter. Stock started out plain black like the tikka. Easy to do. Only took about an hour of work with lots of dry time between many coats.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/10/18
Might want to consider a Wildcat Composite stock too.

You also got to think that you could just save $400 more and buy a Barrett Fieldcraft. Great stock already,and a 3" short action mag box. The Tikka might be fine and great but you can nickle and dime it until it isn't such a bargain any more and you would have been better off with different gun to start with.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/10/18

P

Agree totally on that , have tried to B&C's on Tikkas and they feel like clubs. I also do not like the recoil lug arrangement, would prefer the lug had its own recess like Mcmillan and others do .
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/10/18
I don't see the B&C as an upgrade. The factory Tikka stock is one of the best. If you don't like the looks a couple of cans of Krylon will fix that
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/10/18
Not surprisingly NO one has brought up a Tikka T3x versus a Remington 700 yet.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/10/18
Originally Posted by JMR40
I don't see the B&C as an upgrade. The factory Tikka stock is one of the best. If you don't like the looks a couple of cans of Krylon will fix that

And the T3x has grip options. I had a BC for about 10 minutes. It looked like termites lived in it and the inlet was schit. Zero gains other than weight.
Posted By: AlaskaCub Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/10/18
If there’s another rifle in the Tikka weight class with a reputation for accuracy and a butter smooth bolt throw in stainless and sub $700 in cost I’m all ears. IMO you have to spend $1200-$2000 on a Kimber, Barrett, or Christensen Arms to say you dun better than a Tikka. There’s a few rifles out there with chopped barrels that get close to the Tikka in weight but your giving up performance to get in the low 6’s in weight.

Putting a clubby 34 oz B&C on a Tikka is like smearing chit on your jelly instead of peanut butter.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/10/18
My son bought a Kimber Hunter late last year and it was nicer than I expected. The jury's still out on how it shoots since all he did was sight it in, miss a deer, and kill a coyote, but it looks nice and the magazine looks to be of good qualty and fits flush. I'm not a fan of trigger guards that are part if the stock, but the one on the Hunter looks very solid.

If you like the Tikka, but not the stock, get one (stainless!) with factory wood or laminated. Both look a lot more like quality goods to me than the plastic.
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore

Old Remington 700 vs T3x no comparison. Remington by a mile. I just picked up a pre-cerberus 700 LSS and I am impressed with the overall quality of the rifle and the way it was put together.That said I have yet to shoot it . The 700 has so many options to customize compared to the Tikka that is unfair .
Originally Posted by Pappy348
My son bought a Kimber Hunter late last year and it was nicer than I expected. The jury's still out on how it shoots since all he did was sight it in, miss a deer, and kill a coyote, but it looks nice and the magazine looks to be of good qualty and fits flush. I'm not a fan of trigger guards that are part if the stock, but the one on the Hunter looks very solid.

If you like the Tikka, but not the stock, get one (stainless!) with factory wood or laminated. Both look a lot more like quality goods to me than the plastic.

+1
I had a laminated SS Tikka in the gay 270 , it was a very nice rifle. The stock IMHO is an upgrade over the factory synthetic.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Old Remington 700 vs T3x no comparison. Remington by a mile. I just picked up a pre-cerberus 700 LSS and I am impressed with the overall quality of the rifle and the way it was put together.That said I have yet to shoot it . The 700 has so many options to customize compared to the Tikka that is unfair .

You mean so many sub-par things that have to be replaced. Tikka has the same number of options, just doesn't need them replaced to shoot worth a schit.
Originally Posted by 16bore

You mean so many sub-par things that have to be replaced. Tikka has the same number of options, just doesn't need them replaced to shoot worth a schit.

Well I have a Remington 700, T3x and a Sako A7 to compare it with not to mention other rifles. What needs to be replaced so it will shoot? I adjusted the trigger easily to 2.5 lbs. The trigger is just as crisp if not better then what is on the T3x or Sako. The bolt is as smooth or smoother. It has a milled steel follower . I guess the bottom metal is inferior to the plastic used on the T3x. What is it ? Oh and it has a 26" barrel that is beautifully crowned.

Tikka has the same options, what are you smoking?
Last time I checked a rifle had an action, stock, trigger, and barrel. Didn't realize that they can only be replaced on a Remington.
Last time I checked a rifle had an action, stock, trigger, and barrel. Didn't realize that they can only be replaced on a Remington.

For starters how many different aftermarket stocks, triggers, barrels, bottom metal combinations , bolt combinations,scope mounts,Safeties, are made for a Remington vs a Tikka ?

AFAIK none of these parts have to be replaced on a Remington at least the older manufactured ones unless the owner really wanted to. As good a bargain the T3x is it cannot compare in any way shape or form to a properly constructed Remington 700. Obviously more then a handful of bolt action manufacturers agree since every last one of their custom actions is based on the 700 footprint and not the Tikka T3 action. Cerberus really screwed the pooch.

BTW you never answered my question.

Trying to compare a gun that can no longer be bought new to a gun available on shelves right now does not make much sense. And the older 700 will be close to a lb heavier than the Tikka unless the barrel has been chopped to 20”. If a guy wants a 7lb rifle then the list of comparable grows significantly. At 6 lbs give or take the options only go way up in price.
New stock 700's are a pig in a poke. Triggers suck ass. Tupperware to Tupperware, Tikka is better. "Properly constructed" anything is better than off the rack, regardless of brand. So maybe Remington can start proper construction when they get out of bankruptcy.

Remington probably has more replacement parts than Winchester, Sako, Kimber, etc. as well.

So do VW Beetles.
New stock 700's are a pig in a poke. Triggers suck ass. Tupperware to Tupperware, Tikka is better. "Properly constructed" anything is better than off the rack, regardless of brand. So maybe Remington can start proper construction when they get out of bankruptcy.

I think I have already said that concerning current production. Just like the Tikka 595/695 are way better made then the current T3x .

Remington probably has more replacement parts than Winchester, Sako, Kimber, etc. as well.

So do VW Beetles.

Duh, they sold more of them then all the brands you mentioned combined.
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Trying to compare a gun that can no longer be bought new to a gun available on shelves right now does not make much sense. And the older 700 will be close to a lb heavier than the Tikka unless the barrel has been chopped to 20”. If a guy wants a 7lb rifle then the list of comparable grows significantly. At 6 lbs give or take the options only go way up in price.

There are a lot more options bringing a 700 to a gunsmith then showing up with a Tikka T3 or X. I love the T3x I have but I would not ever say it is the endall of all hunting rifles. It is a box blind gun , I would rather carry my Sako A7 that has a secure magazine system .
I hear ya, you can take any rifle to a gunsmith and dump money in to it for whatever reason, asthetics or to put it on a diet, it just takes money. But in the $700 or less range there aren’t many options that compete with the Tikka IN the 6lb range. Sure a guy can spend $300 more on an A7 (without the heavy ass Roughtech stock of course). But now your at a grand for a slightly different mag latch and a little more open action. I’m not spending a grand on an A7, I’d bump up to a Kimber or Barrett at that point. Of course I’m only speaking of new rifles currently available on shelves.
I hear ya, you can take any rifle to a gunsmith and dump money in to it for whatever reason, asthetics or to put it on a diet, it just takes money. But in the $700 or less range there aren’t many options that compete with the Tikka IN the 6lb range. Sure a guy can spend $300 more on an A7 (without the heavy ass Roughtech stock of course). But now your at a grand for a slightly different mag latch and a little more open action. I’m not spending a grand on an A7, I’d bump up to a Kimber or Barrett at that point. Of course I’m only speaking of new rifles currently available on shelves.

I bought a A7 7mag 3 years ago with that horrible roughtech stock at the Cabelas in Garner, NC. I paid 850 out the door, Cabelas had a special promotion that day and the Beretta rep was there as well. I hated that [bleep] gun and the 49 ounce stock. I ended up buying a plain A7 SS a few months ago in 7mag and it was 850 out the door. I would take it over any Tikka made it is that nice and it is a freaking shooter just like my T3x. I might add it is a bit lighter and shoots better then the roughtech as well, the stock certainly feels better to me grin
Remember when dealers were offloading the SS A7’s on GB for $650 that was a steal!
Remember when dealers were offloading the SS A7’s on GB for $650 that was a steal!

Yeah that was a steal, I don['t think the earlier synthetic stocks are as nice as the one I have that i recently bought
Posted By: slm9s Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/10/18
Been thinking about buying a Tikka T3X Lite stainless in 308 or 7mm 08 and then upgrading the stock to possibly a Bell and Carlson. What other rifle would you buy for around the same price $950-1000 before the Tikka?

I tried a 30-06 T3 superlite and while accurate, it just didn't feel right to me. I replaced it with an early serial number Forbes for $1000 and found I liked it much better. In fact its very hard to tell the difference between the Forbes vs the ULA I had owned previously. (then I bought its twin a Forbes in 270 also!)

My $0.02
Originally Posted by slm9s

I tried a 30-06 T3 superlite and while accurate, it just didn't feel right to me. I replaced it with an early serial number Forbes for $1000 and found I liked it much better. In fact its very hard to tell the difference between the Forbes vs the ULA I had owned previously. (then I bought its twin a Forbes in 270 also!)

My $0.02

I could like a Forbes, it would certainly be cheaper then a T3x superlite in a mcmillan stock
My Forbes is one of the first dozen made and is the most accurate rifle I've ever owned. The safety feels a bit wonky and they jeweled the inside of the bolt rather than the outside when the bolt is closed. It also has an ejection angle so high I can't use a scope with much of a windage turret. It works fine with a Z5. I will never get rid of it though. It's shot more 5 shot 1/2 inch 100 yard groups than not.

I know the very early ones are reported as very accurate. I don't know if I would bet on the later ones though. At a $1200 price,I think you are a lot safer to just add a couple hundred and get the Barrett. I traded into mine and just lucked out.
Posted By: JJWise Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/10/18
I was looking for a Tikka T3 lite or a Remington 700 Mountain SS in that gay old round a few months ago. Handled a Tikka and it was good but didn’t feel it lived up to the hype. Ended up with a Remington Model 7 stainless synthetic in 308, paid $600 and am very happy. It rounded out my gun cabinet better than another long action 22” barreled rifle anyways.
Posted By: fairchase Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/10/18
I am currently tricking out a T3x in 708. Cerakote, painting the stock, bolt work, etc. Not because it needs it but it’s just fun to have a working mans custom 😀
Posted By: Formidilosus Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/10/18
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

You also got to think that you could just save $400 more and buy a Barrett Fieldcraft. Great stock already,and a 3" short action mag box. The Tikka might be fine and great but you can nickle and dime it until it isn't such a bargain any more and you would have been better off with different gun to start with.

I like most people, used to think of Tikka as a budget gun. However after using them heavily, seeing the results of how they performed in two military trials, and seeing about every failure that can happen occur with every popular action/rifle/trigger- I would take a Tikka over any other action/rifle for general hunting and shooting. The Barret is an excellent true mountain hunting rifle, but for a general shooter and hunter the T3 Lite is unmatched.

Regardless of how they were advertised or thought of, and regardless of how many issues and custom Rem 700’s and clones I’ve owned and used, the Tikka T3/T3x’s get more right.

All Remington’s and all Remington clones (Surgeon/Stiller/GAP/etc) suffer from the same problem, and there is no way to replace it... the trigger. The way Remington 700 compatible trigger are made means they will have reliability issues. It has shown up in every military dust and ice test. AI, Sako TRG, and Tikka T3 triggers all do better in the same conditions. Couple that with better reliability of the bolt design in dust/dirt and ice conditions, better barrels with chambers cut correctly, bolt handles that don’t fall off, actions that don’t need to be squared and trued, scopes mounting holes that are concentric and square, a 2.5 lb factory trigger, not to mention one of the/the smoothest actions made that is extremely resistant to binding, and you are right.... there is no comparison.
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

I like most people, used to think of Tikka as a budget gun. However after using them heavily, seeing the results of how they performed in two military trials, and seeing about every failure that can happen occur with every popular action/rifle/trigger- I would take a Tikka over any other action/rifle for general hunting and shooting. The Barret is an excellent true mountain hunting rifle, but for a general shooter and hunter the T3 Lite is unmatched.

Regardless of how they were advertised or thought of, and regardless of how many issues and custom Rem 700’s and clones I’ve owned and used, the Tikka T3/T3x’s get more right.

All Remington’s and all Remington clones (Surgeon/Stiller/GAP/etc) suffer from the same problem, and there is no way to replace it... the trigger. The way Remington 700 compatible trigger are made means they will have reliability issues. It has shown up in every military dust and ice test. AI, Sako TRG, and Tikka T3 triggers all do better in the same conditions. Couple that with better reliability of the bolt design in dust/dirt and ice conditions, better barrels with chambers cut correctly, bolt handles that don’t fall off, actions that don’t need to be squared and trued, scopes mounting holes that are concentric and square, a 2.5 lb factory trigger, not to mention one of the/the smoothest actions made that is extremely resistant to binding, and you are right.... there is no comparison.

All enclosed trigger actions will suffer from dust conditions. How many Tikka actions are used in combat ? Why is the bolt design better in dust/dirt and ice conditions? You making that up? They might have smoother barrels, I'll give you that but If my gun can shoot dime sized groups then the squared and trued, scope mounting holes yada yada is just conjecture . Bolt that binds, didn';t they do something about that 20 years ago ? I have a Tikka T3x and an older 700 and I cannot tell the difference in bolt smoothness. There is a gunsmith here that has seen Tikka bolts crack right at the dovetail.

All enclosed trigger actions will suffer from dust conditions. How many Tikka actions are used in combat ? Why is the bolt design better in dust/dirt and ice conditions? You making that up? They might have smoother barrels, I'll give you that but If my gun can shoot dime sized groups then the squared and trued, scope mounting holes yada yada is just conjecture . Bolt that binds, didn';t they do something about that 20 years ago ? I have a Tikka T3x and an older 700 and I cannot tell the difference in bolt smoothness. There is a gunsmith here that has seen Tikka bolts crack right at the dovetail.

I’m not making anything up. And no, not all enclosed triggers work the same nor do they all suffer the same issues. The most reliable action and trigger system by far is Accuracy International SWS’s. That has been proven by every single military trail where the rifles were legitimately tested. They have an closed trigger, and have outdone M98’s, M70’s, M700’s, etc. in multiple tests. The next closest guns have been Sako TRG’s (especially their newest 2 stage trigger) which is at worst a sister to the T3. The T3 has been tested by two countries, and is fielded by more entities than most know.

Someone who has shot a gun before can immediately tell the difference between a Tikka and a Remington action. Saying that you can’t is telling on multiple levels.

I’m not making anything up. And no, not all enclosed triggers work the same nor do they all suffer the same issues. The most reliable action and trigger system by far is Accuracy International SWS’s. That has been proven by every single military trail where the rifles were legitimately tested. They have an closed trigger, and have outdone M98’s, M70’s, M700’s, etc. in multiple tests. The next closest guns have been Sako TRG’s (especially their newest 2 stage trigger) which is at worst a sister to the T3. The T3 has been tested by two countries, and is fielded by more entities than most know.

Someone who has shot a gun before can immediately tell the difference between a Tikka and a Remington action. Saying that you can’t is telling on multiple levels.

Hint, you don't have to even shoot the gun to be able to tell the difference. I could care less about the other brands you mentioned like that is really going to impress me dickhead. I think you are full of chitt personally.
Posted By: GregW Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/10/18

Hint, you don't have to even shoot the gun to be able to tell the difference. I could care less about the other brands you mentioned like that is really going to impress me dickhead. I think you are full of chitt personally.

You old grumpy dudes are a hoot...

PS - you are barking up a tree way over your paygrade.....
The only way to get a Tikka to shoot like a Remington is to miss a little bit...

TEEKERS RULE!
Originally Posted by GregW

What did I say that was out of context? We are discussing T3's and 700's, I own them both and shoot them both. He is a condescending azzhole.

PS I am not evaluating rifles and scopes for military use Hint. I could care less what works in a sandbox
Posted By: devnull Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/10/18
Where is Big Stick In The Mud for this conversation? Did he hit his 1 post quota for today? It's funny, he's bad mouthed TEEKER for years and now, he's gone and bought one and played with it.

Originally Posted by Big Stick In The Mud

Shot all day and am just now dragging ass home.

The Teeker were in tow and shot #1 was at 580yds,to see how Guesstimated DOPE jived. Didn't bother to chronograph the load,as I know/knew ES/SD was gonna be welllllll under control,due load density and quality componentry(Lapooey Virgins,400's,Lever and rech through die 75gr A-Max Smooches). I plugged in a velocity hunch,with the one and only load tried(bumped my tried/true Krunchenticker ASC 75HPBT load a halfa grain,due the increase in COAL latitude inherent the platform in AICS footprinted steel AM 5rd mags). Called it 2900fps and loaded the data to elicit projected DOPE and caught some fair to middlin' weather to boot.

Shot #1 was at 580yds and dead nuts on the money in height. It was shot "up the pipe",less any wind holdoff and the elevation dots were connected.

Shot #2 was at 1030yds and the same thing correlated,so I felt purty good about DOPE. Pard said it best "nowadays you can just throw your [bleep] chronograph away!"...which is a fact.

It got banged around pretty hard,hither and yon',with the 6x MQ doing what they always do. I asked him "would you buy one?" and he replied quickly "I'd rather have a S/S RAR in a Chassis". Be curious to see/hear the thoughts of everyone,after the next pass and some real trigger time. The '06 action is a common complaint amongst others and I mighta noticed that myself,some time ago.(grin)

If Teeker tossed the '06-223 in a plywood handle and it fed from an AICS footprint DBM,they'd have sumptin'. Doubly so,if the receiver was 1913 slotted.

Alas..................(grin)

Forgot to mention, long action only matters in Teeker if you have a Big Schnoz. (grin)
Originally Posted by devnull
Where is Big Stick In The Mud for this conversation? Did he hit his 1 post quota for today? It's funny, he's bad mouthed TEEKER for years and now, he's gone and bought one and played with it.

Originally Posted by Big Stick In The Mud

Shot all day and am just now dragging ass home.

The Teeker were in tow and shot #1 was at 580yds,to see how Guesstimated DOPE jived. Didn't bother to chronograph the load,as I know/knew ES/SD was gonna be welllllll under control,due load density and quality componentry(Lapooey Virgins,400's,Lever and rech through die 75gr A-Max Smooches). I plugged in a velocity hunch,with the one and only load tried(bumped my tried/true Krunchenticker ASC 75HPBT load a halfa grain,due the increase in COAL latitude inherent the platform in AICS footprinted steel AM 5rd mags). Called it 2900fps and loaded the data to elicit projected DOPE and caught some fair to middlin' weather to boot.

Shot #1 was at 580yds and dead nuts on the money in height. It was shot "up the pipe",less any wind holdoff and the elevation dots were connected.

Shot #2 was at 1030yds and the same thing correlated,so I felt purty good about DOPE. Pard said it best "nowadays you can just throw your [bleep] chronograph away!"...which is a fact.

It got banged around pretty hard,hither and yon',with the 6x MQ doing what they always do. I asked him "would you buy one?" and he replied quickly "I'd rather have a S/S RAR in a Chassis". Be curious to see/hear the thoughts of everyone,after the next pass and some real trigger time. The '06 action is a common complaint amongst others and I mighta noticed that myself,some time ago.(grin)

If Teeker tossed the '06-223 in a plywood handle and it fed from an AICS footprint DBM,they'd have sumptin'. Doubly so,if the receiver was 1913 slotted.

Alas..................(grin)

He evidently bought one and hates it
Originally Posted by GregW

What did I say that was out of context? We are discussing T3's and 700's, I own them both and shoot them both. He is a condescending azzhole.

PS I am not evaluating rifles and scopes for military use Hint. I could care less what works in a sandbox

You don't have to agree with him or even like him,but you were the first one to be condescending and personally insulting.
That Mountain Tactical BM looks to be decent.

Condescending? Not at all. I try to post as bluntly and unemotionally as possible, with the least amount of bias as I can.

I never stated one couldn’t hunt with a 700. You, and a lot of people believe that Remington 700 rifles (and others) are superior designed and better/more reliable/etc. From a mechanical and execution perspective- that’s not the case. Mechanically and executionaly the Tikka trigger, barrel, stock, and action is better.

This has little to do with the “sandbox” and everything to do with lots of rounds and lots of examples of both. In hunting and competition I have personally seen or had happen to me with 700 based guns- frozen triggers and frozen firing pins from both ice/slush and dust/sand. One bolt handle come off as well as a couple of triggers that failed and fired when the safety was taken off. Multiple locked of bolts due to sand/dust, and bolts that could be closed due to same. A T3 isn’t an AI, but side by side they have not suffered the same rate of issues as 700’s.

The Tikka isn’t perfect, but it’s very good.

Condescending? Not at all. I try to post as bluntly and unemotionally as possible, with the least amount of bias as I can.

I never stated one couldn’t hunt with a 700. You, and a lot of people believe that Remington 700 rifles (and others) are superior designed and better/more reliable/etc. From a mechanical and execution perspective- that’s not the case. Mechanically and executionaly the Tikka trigger, barrel, stock, and action is better.

This has little to do with the “sandbox” and everything to do with lots of rounds and lots of examples of both. In hunting and competition I have personally seen or had happen to me with 700 based guns- frozen triggers and frozen firing pins from both ice/slush and dust/sand. One bolt handle come off as well as a couple of triggers that failed and fired when the safety was taken off. Multiple locked of bolts due to sand/dust, and bolts that could be closed due to same. A T3 isn’t an AI, but side by side they have not suffered the same rate of issues as 700’s.

The Tikka isn’t perfect, but it’s very good.

I don[t think the Remington is the perfect rifle nor do I think a Tikka for that matter is either. I seriously doubt the Tikkas being evaluated for extreme service are out of the box T3's or T3x that anyone can buy. I have had more failures with a 700 then any other gun I have owned , I had a firing pin freeze up on a montana elk hunt and it was all my fault because I didn't maintain the rifle correctly. I have I have had a 1971 700 25-06 go off when taking off the safety, the gun was pointed in the right direction or I would have had a very dead friend. Yes they have had QC issues and still do but when one finds a good one they can be a good rifle.

Tell me then why does the military insist on using Remington 700's and their clones?

I also apologize for being a bit of an azz and I won't offer any excuses for why I said what i said.
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/10/18
That Mountain Tactical BM looks to be decent.

It’s better than decent....
Posted By: jeffbird Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/10/18

Tell me then why does the military insist on using Remington 700's and their clones?

I’m not Form, but I have laid eyes on internal trade industry memos, not SAAMI or firearms specifically, that MILSPECS are written by and for the benefit of certain companies and trade group members.

The better question is why are our soldiers and Marines given R700 and Leupolds rather than Accuracy International and Nightforce?

I personally have lent a Nightforce to a soldier deploying because the Leupold issued to him did not work correctly. I’ve watched parents buying Nightforces and S&B’s to mail to their deployed sons to replace the garbage Obama gave them.

Don’t even get me going on this subject. Every single Congress member should spend a few weeks with a front line unit, eat what they eat, wear what they wear, carry what they carry, shoot what they shoot, and follow the rules of engagement they follow. Same applies to riding with some patrol officers on an overnight shift for a few weeks.
Originally Posted by jeffbird

I’m not Form, but I have laid eyes on internal trade industry memos, not SAAMI or firearms specifically, that MILSPECS are written by and for the benefit of certain companies and trade group members.

The better question is why are our soldiers and Marines given R700 and Leupolds rather than Accuracy International and Nightforce?

I personally have lent a Nightforce to a soldier deploying because the Leupold issued to him did not work correctly. I’ve watched parents buying Nightforces and S&B’s to mail to their deployed sons to replace the garbage Obama gave them.

Don’t even get me going on this subject. Every single Congress member should spend a few weeks with a front line unit, eat what they eat, wear what they wear, carry what they carry, shoot what they shoot, and follow the rules of engagement they follow. Same applies to riding with some patrol officers on an overnight shift for a few weeks.

Troops should have the absolute finest , reliable equipment made no question. It would no surprise me that our Gov would favor a vendor with inferior goods.
Posted By: ChetAF Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/11/18
Originally Posted by jeffbird

Not to mention the "Lowest bidder" part of the equation.
Posted By: ChetAF Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/11/18

Form, I always enjoy your posts and value your advice. If a guy wanted the ultimate, bombproof rifle, it sounds like an Accuracy International SWS with a Nightforce NXS Milspec scope would be about as close as one could get?
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/11/18
I had a Tikka. Nice little rifle, accurate, real nice to hunt with. I just couldn't get used to all the plastic, and the long bolt throw on a 223. Sold it to a guy for his kid to deer hunt with, and it's done the job just as it should.

I have 5 Model 700's and 4 Model 7's, a couple old, the rest mostly new. All are every bit as accurate as the Tikka was, and for my hunting and shooting needs, they shoot better than I do. Yeah, the new Remington triggers suck, and those on the Tikka don't. But, you get used to something, as I am the Model 700's and 7's, and it's hard to change. I just happen to prefer the Remington 700, just as a lot of people do. That doesn't mean anything else won't work, and I'd buy another Tikka if the opportunity arose. But, I can guarantee you one thing, I'll always have more Remington's.
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/11/18
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I had a Tikka. Nice little rifle, accurate, real nice to hunt with. I just couldn't get used to all the plastic, and the long bolt throw on a 223. Sold it to a guy for his kid to deer hunt with, and it's done the job just as it should.

I have 5 Model 700's and 4 Model 7's, a couple old, the rest mostly new. All are every bit as accurate as the Tikka was, and for my hunting and shooting needs, they shoot better than I do. Yeah, the new Remington triggers suck, and those on the Tikka don't. But, you get used to something, as I am the Model 700's and 7's, and it's hard to change. I just happen to prefer the Remington 700, just as a lot of people do. That doesn't mean anything else won't work, and I'd buy another Tikka if the opportunity arose. But, I can guarantee you one thing, I'll always have more Remington's.

Never even owned a Tikka,so help me out. I know they are all long actions but is the bolt throw longer? I thought they had bolt stops specific to the caliber?

I know the new T3X has metal bolt shroud and can't you get all metal bottom metal and metal mags? Though I think the Mountain Tactical mags have a slotted hole in the center which I see as a stupid design allowing trash or dirt or snow to get in your mags. Am I wrong on the bottom metal and mags or is there something else available?
Posted By: Formidilosus Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/11/18

I don[t think the Remington is the perfect rifle nor do I think a Tikka for that matter is either. I seriously doubt the Tikkas being evaluated for extreme service are out of the box T3's or T3x that anyone can buy. I have had more failures with a 700 then any other gun I have owned , I had a firing pin freeze up on a montana elk hunt and it was all my fault because I didn't maintain the rifle correctly. I have I have had a 1971 700 25-06 go off when taking off the safety, the gun was pointed in the right direction or I would have had a very dead friend. Yes they have had QC issues and still do but when one finds a good one they can be a good rifle.

I also apologize for being a bit of an azz and I won't offer any excuses for why I said what i said.

I don’t take offense over what is said on the internet.

The Tikkas that have been tested/adopted were in fact factory Tikkas with the addition of the two stage trigger on one.

The reason for military use of M700’s and clones are numerous and none of them have to do with performance. The number one reason is the were selected fbybthe Marnines because I’m the 70’s there wasn’t a whole lot better available. The Army followed suit on the 80’s before the AI became a thing, and they remained with the army until the mid 2000’s when the M110 replaces them. Those replaced rifles were turned into the M2010 300WM. The Marines still utilize a 700 in the M40A6- it being a continuos “upgrade” from the M40 to M40A1, etc.

In no particular order of why most are using a M700 based rifle and not a purpose built sniper weapon system-

1) The US military is not composed of “shooters”, especially at the staff level. Even then the actual snipers only know what they’ve been issued; they aren’t gun guys.

2) Not unvented here syndrome.

3) No actual tests for durability, reliability and zero retention.

4) No perceived need by both line users and command due to ignorance.

5) Politics.

The same could be said for most of the scopes used as well.

Originally Posted by ChetAF

Form, I always enjoy your posts and value your advice. If a guy wanted the ultimate, bombproof rifle, it sounds like an Accuracy International SWS with a Nightforce NXS Milspec scope would be about as close as one could get?

Without a doubt.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/11/18
Wow. The Tikkler wolfpack has attacked one of their own.

I have to say that Oldelkhunter and I don't see eye to eye, but if nothing else, he is a fan of the Tikka. I know, because we've argued the merits of the T3 over the years. And he has always defended it.

Seems that his preference of old 700 rifles has struck a nerve.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/11/18
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Wow. The Tikkler wolfpack has attacked one of their own.

I have to say that Oldelkhunter and I don't see eye to eye, but if nothing else, he is a fan of the Tikka. I know, because we've argued the merits of the T3 over the years. And he has always defended it.

Seems that his preference of old 700 rifles has struck a nerve.

It would be a boring world if everyone agreed on the same thing. I am not locked into one brand or have excessive loyalty to such.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/11/18
When I was a teen, the argument among boys over cars was what was best.....Ford or Chevy. Our Sunday School class teacher worked in an auto parts store, so I asked him which brand he sold more parts for. At that time in my life, I was a Chevy fan, and I told the Ford fans that their car was junk and always breaking down, so I asked the teacher which brand he sold more parts for. Without hesitating, he said Chevrolet. Of course that made the Ford boys cheer, but then he said......that's because Chevy is a lot more popular than a Ford, which shut them up.

When people say that their Remington rifle has "failed", and they write a post telling the world about it, just remember that the Model 700 is the most popular centerfire hunting rifle by far, which means there are a lot more of them to break when compared to another brand. I've had one to break, a very expensive XCR Tactical. The bolt handle came off after bout 5 shots. If I'd been a new customer of Remington, I'd probably been very peed, but that was my first, and so far only, incident with a 700.

Anything manmade is subject to break, I don't care what it is. I've had a Weatherby Vanguard to break twice, the extractor both times. I haven't bought another Vanguard, but I have bought the same rifle in the Howa, and never had another problem. I'm also sure that if I had a safe full of Tikkas , Savages, or any other brand, and had used them for as many years as I have Remngtons, I'd be outspoken about them, one way or another.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/11/18
If there’s another rifle in the Tikka weight class with a reputation for accuracy and a butter smooth bolt throw in stainless and sub $700 in cost I’m all ears. IMO you have to spend $1200-$2000 on a Kimber, Barrett, or Christensen Arms to say you dun better than a Tikka. There’s a few rifles out there with chopped barrels that get close to the Tikka in weight but your giving up performance to get in the low 6’s in weight.

Putting a clubby 34 oz B&C on a Tikka is like smearing chit on your jelly instead of peanut butter.

The only other rifle that I'm aware of that can compete with the Tikka at it's price range is the Sauer 100. It has a few features that the Tikka lacks and it's bolt throw is as smooth as the Tikka.
- 5 round flush magazine
- externally adjustable trigger
- scope mount spacing based on Remington 700 so there is a world of options
- Not offered in LH models

The rifle comes in black synthetic or wood but the wood looks like its been finished with a hershey bar. Not a good quality wood (Beech) and not a good finish, but the rifle is accurate, priced right and competes well with the T3X.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/11/18
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

The only other rifle that I'm aware of that can compete with the Tikka at it's price range is the Sauer 100. It has a few features that the Tikka lacks and it's bolt throw is as smooth as the Tikka.
- 5 round flush magazine
- externally adjustable trigger
- scope mount spacing based on Remington 700 so there is a world of options
- Not offered in LH models

The rifle comes in black synthetic or wood but the wood looks like its been finished with a hershey bar. Not a good quality wood (Beech) and not a good finish, but the rifle is accurate, priced right and competes well with the T3X.

I sold a couple of rifles and replaced them with a Tikka T3x Superlight from Sportsmans Warehouse. While I was there, I noticed they had a couple of the Sauer 100's on the shelf and I got a chance to handle one for the first time. I didn't even look at the price tag, but I was favorably impressed by the rifle. Especially the magazine.
Posted By: pointer Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/11/18
Form- For the Tikka's you use for hunting, what, if anything, do you add/replace/modify it get it ready? IOW, how do you set yours up?
Posted By: BMR Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/11/18
The only thing I added were Talley lightweight mounts, a Leupuld VX-2 3-9x40 scope, and a Sims limb saver recoil pad. And I adjusted the trigger pull to 2 lbs., 12 oz.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/11/18
CrimsonTide, I bought one for my wife and although not a frequent shooter, she really likes it. It is extremely accurate, but most rifles today can make that claim.
Posted By: Formidilosus Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/11/18
Originally Posted by pointer
Form- For the Tikka's you use for hunting, what, if anything, do you add/replace/modify it get it ready? IOW, how do you set yours up?

Disassemble, adjust the trigger all the way down, degrease all screws, apply thread locker, torque, mount scope, feed bullets.
Posted By: pointer Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/12/18
Thanks. I'm pretty sure I could like plug-and-play.
Posted By: David_Walter Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/12/18
CrimsonTide, I bought one for my wife and although not a frequent shooter, she really likes it. It is extremely accurate, but most rifles today can make that claim.

The Sauer 100 or the Tikka?
Posted By: 16bore Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/12/18
Originally Posted by pointer
Thanks. I'm pretty sure I could like plug-and-play.

This is the way to roll....

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...le-turrets-and-proper-usage#Post12448503
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/12/18
Originally Posted by David_Walter

The Sauer 100 or the Tikka?

Sauer 100. I have several Tikka T3's but was able to get the Sauer through Blaser-USA
Posted By: bobmn Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/13/18
Sauer 100 weighs 6 lb. 12 oz. Tika Superlight weighs 6 lb. 0 oz.
Posted By: Formidilosus Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/13/18
The Sauer 100 is interesting, and they are offering it in 6.5 PRC.....
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/13/18
Originally Posted by JamesJr

Never even owned a Tikka,so help me out. I know they are all long actions but is the bolt throw longer? I thought they had bolt stops specific to the caliber?

I know the new T3X has metal bolt shroud and can't you get all metal bottom metal and metal mags? Though I think the Mountain Tactical mags have a slotted hole in the center which I see as a stupid design allowing trash or dirt or snow to get in your mags. Am I wrong on the bottom metal and mags or is there something else available?

The slots will not be visible outside the magazine well . I should have preordered 2 of them when they were 39.99 , price almost doubled on them
Posted By: SAKO270WSM Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/13/18
Sako A7 roughtech, semi custom rifle feel. I have one in 308 and the other is a Tecomate 270 wsm. A shade over $1000 but worth every penny IMO
Posted By: Nrut Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/13/18
Originally Posted by SAKO270WSM
Sako A7 roughtech, semi custom rifle feel. I have one in 308 and the other is a Tecomate 270 wsm. A shade over $1000 but worth every penny IMO

What is the mag. box length on your Tecomate 270 WSM?
TIA
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/13/18
Sauer 100. I have several Tikka T3's but was able to get the Sauer through Blaser-USA

OSU,

What size groups, and have you had any issues with the barrel contacting the stock?

Thanks,

Jason
I went to SW a few weeks ago just to look at the Sauer 100.

Things I like about the Sour:

-5-rd flush mag
-3-pos. safety (locks bolt)
-handle won't fall off
-good trigger
-supposedly excellent barrels, but almost everyone makes a decent barrel today
-good bolt stop

I was told that the safety blocks the sear, and not just the trigger, but I don't know for sure

Only gripe is that it is blued, so I would treat the bore with DynaCoat. And the fore end didn't see quite as stiff as Tikkler.
Compared to the Tikkler, I like the Sour 100 due to:

1. Flush mag
2. Appears better at handling stray gas from a case rupture (due to fat bolt)
3. Solid bolt stop
4. Safety blocks sear (?)

Not sure about #4, but if true, that would be an improvement over the T3 for some people.

I was pleasantly surprised by the bolt stop. On the rifle that we looked at, the impact force from moving the bolt rearward went into the stop and into the receiver. It did not appear that the stop pin was taking the load. On a Tikka or RAR, the pin gets loaded. Although rare, there are instances of the pins failing.
Posted By: jwall Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/14/18

I have a Tikka T3x and an older 700 and I cannot tell the difference in bolt smoothness.

First : I have and like both Tikka & older 700s.

My first T3Lite goes back to 2003. Still got it. This year I got a T3x Lite in 7 mag.

I’ve had more 700s than any other brand. From 1976 to date I’ve not had one malfunction or breakage w/700s.

OTOH - None of the 700s’ bolts were or are as SMOOTH as the Tikka’s, Mainly because of the double stack magazine with its follower.

Some knock the D M latch on the Tikka. ? ? Since 2003 mine has NEVER unlatched itself. I’ve never dropped it. I’ve never left it (forgot).
I’ll take a D M every day OVER a blind mag, my personal preference.

Jerry
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/14/18
Originally Posted by jwall

I have a Tikka T3x and an older 700 and I cannot tell the difference in bolt smoothness.

First : I have and like both Tikka & older 700s.

My first T3Lite goes back to 2003. Still got it. This year I got a T3x Lite in 7 mag.

I’ve had more 700s than any other brand. From 1976 to date I’ve not had one malfunction or breakage w/700s.

OTOH - None of the 700s’ bolts were or are as SMOOTH as the Tikka’s, Mainly because of the double stack magazine with its follower.

Some knock the D M latch on the Tikka. ? ? Since 2003 mine has NEVER unlatched itself. I’ve never dropped it. I’ve never left it (forgot).
I’ll take a D M every day OVER a blind mag, my personal preference.

Jerry

I agree there I won't have a blind magazine rifle.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/14/18
DBM, floorplates, and blind mags used to matter to me...but somehow they don't anymore.
Posted By: jwall Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/14/18
O E H & 16 -

I've been using a 700 Syn in 7 RM since 1995. That's my newest 700. I've killed coyotes and deer with it and NO problems.

I've replaced it with the T 3x for 3 reasons only.

A. S S

B. Lighter

C. D M

Both rifles hold 3 rounds in the mag so I didn't lose any round capacity.

NOW - I only have 1 blind magazine, in my 70 Black Shadow 300 WM. I like this gun so well I ignore the blind mag.

My preference for either hinged floorplate or D M is there is NO access to the mag well W/O removing barrelled action from the stock.
That's not often a problem but when it is.... it is.

Jerry
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/14/18
My preference for either hinged floorplate or D M is there is NO access to the mag well W/O removing barrelled action from the stock.

Jerry

I hear what you're saying Jerry.

Call me an idiot, but I jammed a Kimber Montana while doing a timed "practice drill" where I had to top the mag to capacity, improvise a firing location on a downslope, and hit a target at 500 yards. It was cold, with deep snow. My excuse was cold/numb fingers, but it was really simple operator error under the "stress" of beating the clock.

I didn't seat the top round properly. The rifle was jammed solid with the claw not letting go, nor allowing the cartridge to feed. Game over. Had to get the allen key out of my pack.

A pushfeed with blind mag isn't a problem. Neither is a CRF with a blind mag, as long you don't do something stupid like I did. A hinged floorplate or DBM certainly makes things even easier.

Jason
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/14/18
Originally Posted by 4th_point

Jerry

I hear what you're saying Jerry.

Call me an idiot, but I jammed a Kimber Montana while doing a timed "practice drill" where I had to top the mag to capacity, improvise a firing location on a downslope, and hit a target at 500 yards. It was cold, with deep snow. My excuse was cold/numb fingers, but it was really simple operator error under the "stress" of beating the clock.

I didn't seat the top round properly. The rifle was jammed solid with the claw not letting go, nor allowing the cartridge to feed. Game over. Had to get the allen key out of my pack.

A pushfeed with blind mag isn't a problem. Neither is a CRF with a blind mag, as long you don't do something stupid like I did. A hinged floorplate or DBM certainly makes things even easier.

Jason

Stuff happens all the time, not having a blind magazine minimizes that . Some people love them Quien Sabe?
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Tikka T3X vs ? - 04/14/18
Everyone has their own preference.
© 24hourcampfire