-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Last time I checked a rifle had an action, stock, trigger, and barrel. Didn't realize that they can only be replaced on a Remington.

HR IC

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 16bore
Last time I checked a rifle had an action, stock, trigger, and barrel. Didn't realize that they can only be replaced on a Remington.

For starters how many different aftermarket stocks, triggers, barrels, bottom metal combinations , bolt combinations,scope mounts,Safeties, are made for a Remington vs a Tikka ?

AFAIK none of these parts have to be replaced on a Remington at least the older manufactured ones unless the owner really wanted to. As good a bargain the T3x is it cannot compare in any way shape or form to a properly constructed Remington 700. Obviously more then a handful of bolt action manufacturers agree since every last one of their custom actions is based on the 700 footprint and not the Tikka T3 action. Cerberus really screwed the pooch.

BTW you never answered my question.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Trying to compare a gun that can no longer be bought new to a gun available on shelves right now does not make much sense. And the older 700 will be close to a lb heavier than the Tikka unless the barrel has been chopped to 20”. If a guy wants a 7lb rifle then the list of comparable grows significantly. At 6 lbs give or take the options only go way up in price.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
New stock 700's are a pig in a poke. Triggers suck ass. Tupperware to Tupperware, Tikka is better. "Properly constructed" anything is better than off the rack, regardless of brand. So maybe Remington can start proper construction when they get out of bankruptcy.

Remington probably has more replacement parts than Winchester, Sako, Kimber, etc. as well.

So do VW Beetles.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 16bore
New stock 700's are a pig in a poke. Triggers suck ass. Tupperware to Tupperware, Tikka is better. "Properly constructed" anything is better than off the rack, regardless of brand. So maybe Remington can start proper construction when they get out of bankruptcy.

I think I have already said that concerning current production. Just like the Tikka 595/695 are way better made then the current T3x .

Remington probably has more replacement parts than Winchester, Sako, Kimber, etc. as well.

So do VW Beetles.

Duh, they sold more of them then all the brands you mentioned combined.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Trying to compare a gun that can no longer be bought new to a gun available on shelves right now does not make much sense. And the older 700 will be close to a lb heavier than the Tikka unless the barrel has been chopped to 20”. If a guy wants a 7lb rifle then the list of comparable grows significantly. At 6 lbs give or take the options only go way up in price.

There are a lot more options bringing a 700 to a gunsmith then showing up with a Tikka T3 or X. I love the T3x I have but I would not ever say it is the endall of all hunting rifles. It is a box blind gun , I would rather carry my Sako A7 that has a secure magazine system .

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hear ya, you can take any rifle to a gunsmith and dump money in to it for whatever reason, asthetics or to put it on a diet, it just takes money. But in the $700 or less range there aren’t many options that compete with the Tikka IN the 6lb range. Sure a guy can spend $300 more on an A7 (without the heavy ass Roughtech stock of course). But now your at a grand for a slightly different mag latch and a little more open action. I’m not spending a grand on an A7, I’d bump up to a Kimber or Barrett at that point. Of course I’m only speaking of new rifles currently available on shelves.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I hear ya, you can take any rifle to a gunsmith and dump money in to it for whatever reason, asthetics or to put it on a diet, it just takes money. But in the $700 or less range there aren’t many options that compete with the Tikka IN the 6lb range. Sure a guy can spend $300 more on an A7 (without the heavy ass Roughtech stock of course). But now your at a grand for a slightly different mag latch and a little more open action. I’m not spending a grand on an A7, I’d bump up to a Kimber or Barrett at that point. Of course I’m only speaking of new rifles currently available on shelves.

I bought a A7 7mag 3 years ago with that horrible roughtech stock at the Cabelas in Garner, NC. I paid 850 out the door, Cabelas had a special promotion that day and the Beretta rep was there as well. I hated that [bleep] gun and the 49 ounce stock. I ended up buying a plain A7 SS a few months ago in 7mag and it was 850 out the door. I would take it over any Tikka made it is that nice and it is a freaking shooter just like my T3x. I might add it is a bit lighter and shoots better then the roughtech as well, the stock certainly feels better to me grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Remember when dealers were offloading the SS A7’s on GB for $650 that was a steal!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Remember when dealers were offloading the SS A7’s on GB for $650 that was a steal!

Yeah that was a steal, I don['t think the earlier synthetic stocks are as nice as the one I have that i recently bought

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by andymick32
Been thinking about buying a Tikka T3X Lite stainless in 308 or 7mm 08 and then upgrading the stock to possibly a Bell and Carlson. What other rifle would you buy for around the same price $950-1000 before the Tikka?

I tried a 30-06 T3 superlite and while accurate, it just didn't feel right to me. I replaced it with an early serial number Forbes for $1000 and found I liked it much better. In fact its very hard to tell the difference between the Forbes vs the ULA I had owned previously. (then I bought its twin a Forbes in 270 also!)

My $0.02

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by slm9s
Originally Posted by andymick32
Been thinking about buying a Tikka T3X Lite stainless in 308 or 7mm 08 and then upgrading the stock to possibly a Bell and Carlson. What other rifle would you buy for around the same price $950-1000 before the Tikka?

I tried a 30-06 T3 superlite and while accurate, it just didn't feel right to me. I replaced it with an early serial number Forbes for $1000 and found I liked it much better. In fact its very hard to tell the difference between the Forbes vs the ULA I had owned previously. (then I bought its twin a Forbes in 270 also!)

My $0.02

I could like a Forbes, it would certainly be cheaper then a T3x superlite in a mcmillan stock

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
My Forbes is one of the first dozen made and is the most accurate rifle I've ever owned. The safety feels a bit wonky and they jeweled the inside of the bolt rather than the outside when the bolt is closed. It also has an ejection angle so high I can't use a scope with much of a windage turret. It works fine with a Z5. I will never get rid of it though. It's shot more 5 shot 1/2 inch 100 yard groups than not.

I know the very early ones are reported as very accurate. I don't know if I would bet on the later ones though. At a $1200 price,I think you are a lot safer to just add a couple hundred and get the Barrett. I traded into mine and just lucked out.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 04/10/18.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I was looking for a Tikka T3 lite or a Remington 700 Mountain SS in that gay old round a few months ago. Handled a Tikka and it was good but didn’t feel it lived up to the hype. Ended up with a Remington Model 7 stainless synthetic in 308, paid $600 and am very happy. It rounded out my gun cabinet better than another long action 22” barreled rifle anyways.

Last edited by JJWise; 04/10/18.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I am currently tricking out a T3x in 708. Cerakote, painting the stock, bolt work, etc. Not because it needs it but it’s just fun to have a working mans custom 😀

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Might want to consider a Wildcat Composite stock too.

You also got to think that you could just save $400 more and buy a Barrett Fieldcraft. Great stock already,and a 3" short action mag box. The Tikka might be fine and great but you can nickle and dime it until it isn't such a bargain any more and you would have been better off with different gun to start with.

I like most people, used to think of Tikka as a budget gun. However after using them heavily, seeing the results of how they performed in two military trials, and seeing about every failure that can happen occur with every popular action/rifle/trigger- I would take a Tikka over any other action/rifle for general hunting and shooting. The Barret is an excellent true mountain hunting rifle, but for a general shooter and hunter the T3 Lite is unmatched.

Regardless of how they were advertised or thought of, and regardless of how many issues and custom Rem 700’s and clones I’ve owned and used, the Tikka T3/T3x’s get more right.

Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
Not surprisingly NO one has brought up a Tikka T3x versus a Remington 700 yet.

Old Remington 700 vs T3x no comparison. Remington by a mile. I just picked up a pre-cerberus 700 LSS and I am impressed with the overall quality of the rifle and the way it was put together.That said I have yet to shoot it . The 700 has so many options to customize compared to the Tikka that is unfair .

All Remington’s and all Remington clones (Surgeon/Stiller/GAP/etc) suffer from the same problem, and there is no way to replace it... the trigger. The way Remington 700 compatible trigger are made means they will have reliability issues. It has shown up in every military dust and ice test. AI, Sako TRG, and Tikka T3 triggers all do better in the same conditions. Couple that with better reliability of the bolt design in dust/dirt and ice conditions, better barrels with chambers cut correctly, bolt handles that don’t fall off, actions that don’t need to be squared and trued, scopes mounting holes that are concentric and square, a 2.5 lb factory trigger, not to mention one of the/the smoothest actions made that is extremely resistant to binding, and you are right.... there is no comparison.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Might want to consider a Wildcat Composite stock too.

You also got to think that you could just save $400 more and buy a Barrett Fieldcraft. Great stock already,and a 3" short action mag box. The Tikka might be fine and great but you can nickle and dime it until it isn't such a bargain any more and you would have been better off with different gun to start with.

I like most people, used to think of Tikka as a budget gun. However after using them heavily, seeing the results of how they performed in two military trials, and seeing about every failure that can happen occur with every popular action/rifle/trigger- I would take a Tikka over any other action/rifle for general hunting and shooting. The Barret is an excellent true mountain hunting rifle, but for a general shooter and hunter the T3 Lite is unmatched.

Regardless of how they were advertised or thought of, and regardless of how many issues and custom Rem 700’s and clones I’ve owned and used, the Tikka T3/T3x’s get more right.

Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
Not surprisingly NO one has brought up a Tikka T3x versus a Remington 700 yet.

Old Remington 700 vs T3x no comparison. Remington by a mile. I just picked up a pre-cerberus 700 LSS and I am impressed with the overall quality of the rifle and the way it was put together.That said I have yet to shoot it . The 700 has so many options to customize compared to the Tikka that is unfair .

All Remington’s and all Remington clones (Surgeon/Stiller/GAP/etc) suffer from the same problem, and there is no way to replace it... the trigger. The way Remington 700 compatible trigger are made means they will have reliability issues. It has shown up in every military dust and ice test. AI, Sako TRG, and Tikka T3 triggers all do better in the same conditions. Couple that with better reliability of the bolt design in dust/dirt and ice conditions, better barrels with chambers cut correctly, bolt handles that don’t fall off, actions that don’t need to be squared and trued, scopes mounting holes that are concentric and square, a 2.5 lb factory trigger, not to mention one of the/the smoothest actions made that is extremely resistant to binding, and you are right.... there is no comparison.

All enclosed trigger actions will suffer from dust conditions. How many Tikka actions are used in combat ? Why is the bolt design better in dust/dirt and ice conditions? You making that up? They might have smoother barrels, I'll give you that but If my gun can shoot dime sized groups then the squared and trued, scope mounting holes yada yada is just conjecture . Bolt that binds, didn';t they do something about that 20 years ago ? I have a Tikka T3x and an older 700 and I cannot tell the difference in bolt smoothness. There is a gunsmith here that has seen Tikka bolts crack right at the dovetail.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

All enclosed trigger actions will suffer from dust conditions. How many Tikka actions are used in combat ? Why is the bolt design better in dust/dirt and ice conditions? You making that up? They might have smoother barrels, I'll give you that but If my gun can shoot dime sized groups then the squared and trued, scope mounting holes yada yada is just conjecture . Bolt that binds, didn';t they do something about that 20 years ago ? I have a Tikka T3x and an older 700 and I cannot tell the difference in bolt smoothness. There is a gunsmith here that has seen Tikka bolts crack right at the dovetail.

I’m not making anything up. And no, not all enclosed triggers work the same nor do they all suffer the same issues. The most reliable action and trigger system by far is Accuracy International SWS’s. That has been proven by every single military trail where the rifles were legitimately tested. They have an closed trigger, and have outdone M98’s, M70’s, M700’s, etc. in multiple tests. The next closest guns have been Sako TRG’s (especially their newest 2 stage trigger) which is at worst a sister to the T3. The T3 has been tested by two countries, and is fielded by more entities than most know.

Someone who has shot a gun before can immediately tell the difference between a Tikka and a Remington action. Saying that you can’t is telling on multiple levels.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

I’m not making anything up. And no, not all enclosed triggers work the same nor do they all suffer the same issues. The most reliable action and trigger system by far is Accuracy International SWS’s. That has been proven by every single military trail where the rifles were legitimately tested. They have an closed trigger, and have outdone M98’s, M70’s, M700’s, etc. in multiple tests. The next closest guns have been Sako TRG’s (especially their newest 2 stage trigger) which is at worst a sister to the T3. The T3 has been tested by two countries, and is fielded by more entities than most know.

Someone who has shot a gun before can immediately tell the difference between a Tikka and a Remington action. Saying that you can’t is telling on multiple levels.

Hint, you don't have to even shoot the gun to be able to tell the difference. I could care less about the other brands you mentioned like that is really going to impress me dickhead. I think you are full of chitt personally.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Hint, you don't have to even shoot the gun to be able to tell the difference. I could care less about the other brands you mentioned like that is really going to impress me dickhead. I think you are full of chitt personally.

You old grumpy dudes are a hoot...

PS - you are barking up a tree way over your paygrade.....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (06hunter59, 1234, 1936M71, 007FJ, 160user, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,389 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,528
Posts18,491,150
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.