Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Been thinking about buying a Tikka T3X Lite stainless in 308 or 7mm 08 and then upgrading the stock to possibly a Bell and Carlson. What other rifle would you buy for around the same price $950-1000 before the Tikka?

GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have two Tikka T3Xs and had a T3 that I sold. My current rifles are a 30-06 and a 6.5CM. I can't think of another rifle I'd buy in the price range. There are some other competitors if you want to go cheaper (Ruger American, Savage 16/116) or spend some more money (Kimber, Barrett, Winchester, and others), but to me the Tikka is the best balance of performance and price. What I would say for sure is don't spend your money on the B&C stock. I had one and sold it pretty quickly. It added weight, didn't imrpove performance, and the original tikka stock is good in all respects. I actually like the feel of the orginal T3x stock better than the B&C. If you want to change appearance paint it, or have it dipped. If you want a better stock spend more money on an McM or another high quality, light stock. My suggestion: Buy the tikka, use the original stock, and spend the money you would have spent on the B&C on a nicer scope.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
look at whittaker guns. their tikkas, they are priced right.

id buy a tikka before id buy any other production rifle.

all 4 ive owned are tack drivers and carry very well

FJB
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If not a tikka I would look at bergera rifles

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
If you buy a Tikka lite stainless and an MCM you're in Barrett territory and saying this, I own both and I would spend the money on the latter if you go that way.

But, If you want a great shooting rifle that doesn’t weigh a ton and has a nice slick action then you can’t go wrong with the Tikka. My Tikka T3 stainless lite in 308 is honestly one of the most accurate guns I own and is not finicky with ammo choices. It's twisted right and is an all around great rifle. But I just got the Barrett and have only been to the range twice with it, so I’m still getting to know it. but so far, it is awesome and all I could ever want in a lightweight, quick handling, accurate package.

Enough already, just shoot it!
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a T3 in 7mm-08, so does my brother. He bought me a B&C stock for Christmas or I wouldn't have bought one. He put a B&C on his, too. Mine doesn't shoot any better and it's a little heavier. His didn't shoot near as well as before, despite experimenting with torque. He put the old stock back on, sub-MOA.

Buy the T3 or T3x and shoot it first.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I have a T3 in 7mm-08, so does my brother. He bought me a B&C stock for Christmas or I wouldn't have bought one. He put a B&C on his, too. Mine doesn't shoot any better and it's a little heavier. His didn't shoot near as well as before, despite experimenting with torque. He put the old stock back on, sub-MOA.

P

That's disappointing to hear. I just don't like the looks and feel of the factory stock, although I've never held the B&C sporter stock either. Regardless, I would hate to sacrifice accuracy for looks and add weight too.

Last edited by andymick32; 04/09/18.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I installed my factory Tikka T3x stock on a barreled action that I purchased from my buddy and couldn't be happier. At first I didn't like the looks of the stock but once installed my '06 shoots sub moa. I also have a B&C medalist on another Tikka in stainless, and really like it also.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by andymick32

P

That's disappointing to hear. I just don't like the looks and feel of the factory stock, although I've never held the B&C sporter stock either. Regardless, I would hate to sacrifice accuracy for looks and add weight too.

I really doubt you would sacrifice accuracy... it's just that tikkas generally shoot so well as they come from the factory that the B&C stocks don't make a noticeable improvement, at least it didn't for me or anyone I've heard from. I do think they look better than the plain black factory stock. But you do gain weight. 6oz by my scale

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If you like the BC better you should go for it. Mine was certainly effective with the BC stock on it.

[Linked Image]

In terms of looks, I like the spiderweb look BC does. This is a stock I painted that way. It's a savage lightweight hunter. Stock started out plain black like the tikka. Easy to do. Only took about an hour of work with lots of dry time between many coats.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by CORDrew; 04/09/18.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Might want to consider a Wildcat Composite stock too.

You also got to think that you could just save $400 more and buy a Barrett Fieldcraft. Great stock already,and a 3" short action mag box. The Tikka might be fine and great but you can nickle and dime it until it isn't such a bargain any more and you would have been better off with different gun to start with.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 04/09/18.
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

P

Agree totally on that , have tried to B&C's on Tikkas and they feel like clubs. I also do not like the recoil lug arrangement, would prefer the lug had its own recess like Mcmillan and others do .

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I don't see the B&C as an upgrade. The factory Tikka stock is one of the best. If you don't like the looks a couple of cans of Krylon will fix that

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Not surprisingly NO one has brought up a Tikka T3x versus a Remington 700 yet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JMR40
I don't see the B&C as an upgrade. The factory Tikka stock is one of the best. If you don't like the looks a couple of cans of Krylon will fix that

And the T3x has grip options. I had a BC for about 10 minutes. It looked like termites lived in it and the inlet was schit. Zero gains other than weight.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If there’s another rifle in the Tikka weight class with a reputation for accuracy and a butter smooth bolt throw in stainless and sub $700 in cost I’m all ears. IMO you have to spend $1200-$2000 on a Kimber, Barrett, or Christensen Arms to say you dun better than a Tikka. There’s a few rifles out there with chopped barrels that get close to the Tikka in weight but your giving up performance to get in the low 6’s in weight.

Putting a clubby 34 oz B&C on a Tikka is like smearing chit on your jelly instead of peanut butter.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My son bought a Kimber Hunter late last year and it was nicer than I expected. The jury's still out on how it shoots since all he did was sight it in, miss a deer, and kill a coyote, but it looks nice and the magazine looks to be of good qualty and fits flush. I'm not a fan of trigger guards that are part if the stock, but the one on the Hunter looks very solid.

If you like the Tikka, but not the stock, get one (stainless!) with factory wood or laminated. Both look a lot more like quality goods to me than the plastic.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore

Old Remington 700 vs T3x no comparison. Remington by a mile. I just picked up a pre-cerberus 700 LSS and I am impressed with the overall quality of the rifle and the way it was put together.That said I have yet to shoot it . The 700 has so many options to customize compared to the Tikka that is unfair .

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Pappy348
My son bought a Kimber Hunter late last year and it was nicer than I expected. The jury's still out on how it shoots since all he did was sight it in, miss a deer, and kill a coyote, but it looks nice and the magazine looks to be of good qualty and fits flush. I'm not a fan of trigger guards that are part if the stock, but the one on the Hunter looks very solid.

If you like the Tikka, but not the stock, get one (stainless!) with factory wood or laminated. Both look a lot more like quality goods to me than the plastic.

+1
I had a laminated SS Tikka in the gay 270 , it was a very nice rifle. The stock IMHO is an upgrade over the factory synthetic.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Old Remington 700 vs T3x no comparison. Remington by a mile. I just picked up a pre-cerberus 700 LSS and I am impressed with the overall quality of the rifle and the way it was put together.That said I have yet to shoot it . The 700 has so many options to customize compared to the Tikka that is unfair .

You mean so many sub-par things that have to be replaced. Tikka has the same number of options, just doesn't need them replaced to shoot worth a schit.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 16bore
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

You mean so many sub-par things that have to be replaced. Tikka has the same number of options, just doesn't need them replaced to shoot worth a schit.

Well I have a Remington 700, T3x and a Sako A7 to compare it with not to mention other rifles. What needs to be replaced so it will shoot? I adjusted the trigger easily to 2.5 lbs. The trigger is just as crisp if not better then what is on the T3x or Sako. The bolt is as smooth or smoother. It has a milled steel follower . I guess the bottom metal is inferior to the plastic used on the T3x. What is it ? Oh and it has a 26" barrel that is beautifully crowned.

Tikka has the same options, what are you smoking?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (10gaugeman, 222Sako, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 257robertsimp, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 1,723 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,144
Posts18,523,316
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.