Home
Posted By: Golficeman All-around rifle? - 11/21/18
I hunt from VA to FL and have a few rifles already in my stable, but I'm looking for that one that I'll carry 90% of the time. I used to use 3-4 different rifles during the season and want that one that I get to know like the back of my hand. I do reload. My thoughts of rifles and calibers. I'm sure this has been done a million times on here. Shots from 25-400yds depending on the state. I have good glass to put on the rifle that I finally decide on. My initial thoughts....

Rifles:
Bergara B14
Christensen Mesa
Tikka T-3X

Caliber choices:
6.5 Creedmoor
7mm mag
* A 280 if I could find one in the right rifle.

It's ashame the rifle business for manufacturers has gone where it's gone. Id love a 338 Federal in a Tikka or a 358 Winchester in a Ruger Hawkeye 77 for a lot of my hunting under 300yds.
Posted By: edapp Re: All-around rifle? - 11/21/18
I picked up a barrett fieldcraft this year in 6.5 CM and it has become my all around rifle. So much so that I may be selling nearly every other hunting rifle I have soon...
Posted By: memtb Re: All-around rifle? - 11/21/18
Of the listed choices: Tikka T-3X.......but none of the listed calibers! memtb
Posted By: Golficeman Re: All-around rifle? - 11/21/18
Memtb, It was a suggestion list, what caliber would you go with?
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: All-around rifle? - 11/21/18
Handle a bunch of rifles personally and pick the one that fits you best, including stuff like safety manipulation, magazine type, etc. Then decide on the cartridge from those available in that model. Honestly, I see no need for any of the magnums in the East, even if you include Kentucky elk. Other than that, pick a cartridge and use good bullets, and you should be fine. There's all kinds of debate here on cartridge virtues, but except for very specialized usage, they're all fine, especially if you reload and aren't dependent on Walmart for your ammo. Any of the standard rounds should give you good bore-life too, important I think in one's go-to rifle.

BTW, there are caliber restrictions on those Kentucky and Pennsylvania elk, if those are on your list of possibilities.
Posted By: Dobegrant Re: All-around rifle? - 11/21/18
I use a Tikka T3 lite in .270 win.
Posted By: Travis13 Re: All-around rifle? - 11/21/18
Fieldcraft in 243
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: All-around rifle? - 11/21/18
Any of those would be fine. You need to handle them in short and long action,except the Tikka which is only long. If I went Tikka I would get the 7 mag. You could load it any way you want.

You just have to decide on rifle choice as to how it feels to you. That might change a few years down the road too. I just turned 50 and already like carrying my lighter rifles in lighter recoiling calibers. For me personally, a Barrett Fieldcraft either in 6.5 or 270 would be about perfect.

After over 40 years of hunting and about 35 hunting by myself and hard,I wish I had then what I have now. I would have done much better. I've missed multiple deer in one day with an old $60 Spanish 308 Mauser I picked up, which was all I could afford at the time.

Right now my favorite rifles are a Kimber Montana 7mm-08 and a early Forbes 270 that likes to shoot one hole groups. Both rifles would be very close to the current Barret Fieldcrafts in size but I feel the Fieldcrafts are superior in workmanship and design.

Of your choices I would likely pick a Tikka. I wouldn't mind a Mesa but I've heard some customers complain that their particular rifle wasn't all that ,and they had a hard time with CS. I may be totally wrong but I feel it is either hit or miss with misses being fewer currently than in the past. I would put Kimber in the same category.

I might try a Bergara if it felt and looked good. I haven't even seen one here in this hick town and I haven't needed one bad enough to go looking.

I think the key to knowing what to choose is in what you already have. You said you have several rifles. What do you like and dislike about what you have? Do you want a lighter rifle? Have you ever shot a truly light rifle? My Forbes is right at 7 lbs all up and my Kimber is 6 all up. I shoot the Forbes better and would rather carry it if I might get a longer shot,but if I am going to be in the woods,I would rather carry the Kimber. So the question becomes what do you have,and what do you want?
Posted By: Golficeman Re: All-around rifle? - 11/21/18
I've owned more than my share of rifles. I'd say I'm somewhere North of 200. Through hard times or divorce I've parted with 2 pretty big collections. I've had rifles built in 280Ack, 338-06, standard 280, and 6.5-284. At one time in the late 80's I had most of the Ruger M-77 rifles and calbers available. Tons of Remington BDL and mountain rifles. I've been on the bad end of three Kimbers including the 7mm-08 I currently own. 1.5 inches was about the best I've ever done with a Kimber out of the box. I've had this one bedded, trigger adjusted,and crown re-cut. I finally got a load to do ¾" . There service isn't the greatest either. I've had all kinds if Weatherbys from Mark V's to VGX's. I currently have mostly Sako, Tikka, and Bergara rifles. I like what I have, but nothing just jumps out as a carry me every day. I have long range stand rifles, and mostly 100yd walkers. I Like the Tikka T3X in 6.5 Creedmoor, but I'd have 2"s of barrel lopped off the 24" tube they currently have. The Mess fits and feels great, but I haven't seen too many people carrying it. The Bergara shoots great, but a tad bulky. I'm just getting some info on what opinions everyone else thinks if current manufacturers offerings and caliber choices.
Posted By: KH1473 Re: All-around rifle? - 11/21/18
Fieldcraft 7-08 will do anything you want in NA. Will be my next purchase, been playing with a pard's and I love it
Posted By: memtb Re: All-around rifle? - 11/21/18
Originally Posted by Golficeman
Memtb, It was a suggestion list, what caliber would you go with?

You mentioned “all around”! My thoughts are one rifle/caliber for any use here in NA, should you decide to hunt “large” big game....as well as Whitetails. It’s pretty difficult to beat the .338 WM. A readily available,wide variety of factory ammo. A very capable long range caliber ( with proper bullets). Excels for elk, moose, bear....while working very well on deer/antelope sized big game! Likely “more” than what you need for eastern Whitetails and/or hogs....but it is a good “all around”, one caliber for everything in NA.

Our thoughts are similar to yours, use one rifle exclusively.....so it “fits like a glove”! This has been my wife’s “only” hunting rifle caliber, since ‘95! memtb
Posted By: yukon254 Re: All-around rifle? - 11/21/18
A 308 is about as versatile as anything, and certainly all the gun you need, especially in the lower 48. Even here in northern Canada a 308 is preferred by a lot of hunters for everything including grizzly bears. In your position I would buy a Sako, in 308, but like Col Townsend Whelen said "a 30/06 is never the wrong choice," so that would be on my list as well....also in a Sako.
Posted By: Canazes9 Re: All-around rifle? - 11/21/18
Originally Posted by KH1473
Fieldcraft 7-08 will do anything you want in NA. Will be my next purchase, been playing with a pard's and I love it

Hard for a handloader to do much better.

David
Posted By: Poconojack Re: All-around rifle? - 11/21/18

All depends where one plans to hunt, but for me a rifle between 6 1/2 and 7 lbs. chambered for the 270 or 308 would be the ticket....
Posted By: prm Re: All-around rifle? - 11/21/18
A Fieldcraft in .308 screams all-around rifle to me. Could spruce it up with a .338 Fed barrel if that suits you.
Posted By: 16bore Re: All-around rifle? - 11/21/18
Of the choices you listed, I'd take the Tikka in 6.5 CM.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: All-around rifle? - 11/21/18
All three are good choices

Any of the three in 30-06 or 270 .
Posted By: DCR48 Re: All-around rifle? - 11/21/18
I swore off from 30 06 years ago but for 1 gun to do everything I think I would pick just that. I would pick 2 scopes though one a 2 to 7 the other somewhere around 4 to 12 or so. Mount the on the best Q mounts you can find. You have bullets available to hunt anything in North America. Powders are not a problem and in a pinch you can buy loaded stuff almost anywhere. I'd go with a H&S stock in a a barreled action. That said mine is a 308 which has served me well.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: All-around rifle? - 11/21/18
of your choices, bergara b14 in 270, because deer are the largest animal you're likely to hunt in the states mentioned.
Posted By: GunTruck50 Re: All-around rifle? - 11/21/18

While I have more than my share, my current favorite is a Stainless Vanguard S2 7mm Mag. Second choice is a Sako A7 in 270 Winchester.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: All-around rifle? - 11/21/18
Originally Posted by 16bore

Yep.

Some other good suggestions as well but of the options you listed this is how I would go as well. Only nudges 270 by a C hair for great factory ammo and a smidge less recoil.

For the gentleman suggesting a 338 ... nothing I know of from Va to Fl short of Sasquatch would warrant the increased recoil of said choice for an “ all rounder.” I don’t care for heavy recoil if I have a choice.
Posted By: Rossimp Re: All-around rifle? - 11/21/18
In your neck of the woods I would prefer 6mm, either Creedmoor or 243 Win with light 22-inch barrel, could go 20-inches. For flat shooting out to 400 yards on game hunted from VA to FL a 25-06 Rem with 24-inch barrel (100-115 gr quality bullets from 3,300 fps-3,100 fps) would be just the ticket. Would not use anything bigger than 6.5mm if hunting that part of the country. No need for magnums, but if I wanted one it would be a 257 Wby in lieu of 7mm Rem Mag.
Posted By: 444Matt Re: All-around rifle? - 11/21/18
I could slum a 270 in Tikka T3, Kimber Montana, Barrett Fieldcraft or CLR/NULA fo all my needs.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: All-around rifle? - 11/21/18
Expand your list to include a Tikka in 7mm-08, especially since you reload. Low recoil, more punch than you’ll likely need.

T3 stainless

[Linked Image]

T3 Superlite

[Linked Image]

409 yards, my nephew’s first, with a Superlite 7mm-08

[Linked Image]

Too many deer pics to post, farthest kill 541 yards.

P
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: All-around rifle? - 11/21/18
T3 superlite 6.5 creedmoor or 7mm08
Posted By: David_Walter Re: All-around rifle? - 11/21/18
Originally Posted by edapp
I picked up a barrett fieldcraft this year in 6.5 CM and it has become my all around rifle. So much so that I may be selling nearly every other hunting rifle I have soon...

This.

I kept my Tikka T3 in 308 because everyone I hunt with sports a 308, and I have bazillions of loaded rounds.

Otherwise, I’d be using this and my LaRue LT-10 in 6.5 Creed for everything.
Posted By: centershot Re: All-around rifle? - 11/21/18
About 99% sure my next rifle will be a Kimber Hunter Black in 6.5 CM. I do a lot of hiking in steep country and my 10# M70 30Gov't06 is starting to feel heavier each season.
Posted By: Brad Re: All-around rifle? - 11/21/18

This.

You didn't ask, but I'd do the special-run 6.5 CM Fieldcraft with the no.2 barrel over all you've listed (I wouldn't do the "regular" SA Fieldcraft with no.1 contour).

Or just get a 270 in the Barrett Fieldcraft. That would make the most sense.
Posted By: hanco Re: All-around rifle? - 11/21/18
Get a death ray 30-06
Posted By: Blacktailer Re: All-around rifle? - 11/22/18
Of the calibers you listed 270. Of the rifles, whichever fits you best in the action you like.
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: All-around rifle? - 11/22/18
Well MY all around rifle is an 8x57, you reload...a quick check on Gunbroker shows new ones from Sako...personally a classic BRNO or HVA would be more appealing to me.
Posted By: moosemike Re: All-around rifle? - 11/22/18
Of your choices the Bergara B-14 in 6.5 Creed. I bought the B-14 in 308 myself.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: All-around rifle? - 11/22/18
All around includes varmints/predators for me. My Tikka .243 is the least fussy, most consistently accurate rifle I've ever owned. I swear you could load that SOB with candy corn for bullets and it would still shoot sub MOA. That's the rifle I'd take if I were only to use one.
Posted By: gsganzer Re: All-around rifle? - 11/22/18
If you like a removeable box magazine, then a Tikka 3X Lite stainless in .308 would be my choice hands down. I have one in 6.5 CM and it's the most accurate rifle I own and the factory trigger can easily be adjusted down to 2.5 LBs and is superb.
If I was limiting myself to a "do-all" cartridge, my recommendation to YOU is a .308. My recommendation for a do-all cartridge for me is a .260 Rem. Just because that's my current itch.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: All-around rifle? - 11/22/18
Originally Posted by Brad

This.

You didn't ask, but I'd do the special-run 6.5 CM Fieldcraft with the no.2 barrel over all you've listed (I wouldn't do the "regular" SA Fieldcraft with no.1 contour).

Or just get a 270 in the Barrett Fieldcraft. That would make the most sense.

I used the 21" #1 FC for about 3.5 months of hunting last year and have been using the 22" #2 for about a month now. They are both great rifles. I prefer the #2 mainly due to off-hand balance. When shooting from bags/rest it makes no difference to me. Really can't go wrong with either for all around use.
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: All-around rifle? - 11/22/18
I recently purchased a Kimber Subalpine in .300 WSM (I also have one in 30-06) and even though my safe runnith over with deer rifles it seems this Subalpine .300 WSM is all i want to hunt with, it's light, shoots great and fits me perfectly...... Deciding on a perfect do-all rifle is a very personal choice that only you can make. you will get differing opinions from just about anyone you ask, there are so many excellent choices in rifle/cartridge combo's you cant really go wrong ....Good luck....Hb
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: All-around rifle? - 11/22/18
I would pick up a Tikka T3 lite stainless in .308 Winchester and call it good.
Posted By: Calvin Re: All-around rifle? - 11/22/18
6.5 Creedmoor in whatever rifle tickles your fancy with factory Horn 147 ELDM ammo.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: All-around rifle? - 11/22/18
As others have indicated, the 6.5CM is becoming my "go to" as well. Just cannot find fault with the "concept" or application.
Posted By: JJWise Re: All-around rifle? - 11/22/18
From your list, I’d take a 270 in any of them. I like the Christensen, handled one today actually, but I’d probably buy the Tikka. My Remington Model 7 SS in 308 has become my go to that I’m carrying every hunt.
Posted By: CRS Re: All-around rifle? - 11/22/18
Rifles: In order of preference from your list.
Bergara B14
Tikka T-3X
Christensen Mesa

Caliber choices:
6.5 Creedmoor
7mm mag

My choices
Rifle:
Model 70 Classic FWT SS in 270 Win. Edge stock, and cerakoted. (What I have)
Model 70 7mm-08
Barrett Fieldcraft 7mm-08

Cartridge:
270 win
7mm-08
6.5 CM
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: All-around rifle? - 11/22/18
I would sure look hard at buying the 280 that 257heaven has in the classifieds.
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Very practical (and good) advice.
Posted By: viking Re: All-around rifle? - 11/22/18
Don't overlook the quarter bores.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: All-around rifle? - 11/22/18
In our area we are limited to what we can hunt with high power rifle. Anything other than a .243, .223 for coyote or a .450 Bushmaster or a 45-70 for deer is over kill or you flat can't use it.

kwg
Posted By: 16bore Re: All-around rifle? - 11/22/18
Originally Posted by viking
Don't overlook the quarter bores.

Over look them....
Posted By: 79S Re: All-around rifle? - 11/22/18
270 winchester
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: All-around rifle? - 11/22/18
If you reload, 358 Winchester in 20" barrel, short action. 200 gr round or protected point for most. With 1/12" twist use 250 to 310 gr for the big stuff. Rusty
Posted By: Golficeman Re: All-around rifle? - 11/22/18
After reading all the opinions, I think I'm going to buy two Tikka T3X rifles instead of the Mesa. One in 6.5 Creedmoor and one in 7mm-08. Put the same optics on both and hunt with the one I feel shoots best. I have a 308 in a Tikka T3X already, was going to have it rebored to 358 Win. I Like reading all the opinions, thanks for the feedback.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: All-around rifle? - 11/22/18
Not looking to pick a fight here, but can someone explain to me the utility of having a Tikka in a short action. I mean the action length, weight, and usually barrel length is the same. If you’re going to get a .308, might as well make it a 30-06. If you’re going to get it rechambered to .358 Winchester, you might as well make it a .35 Whelen and so on and so forth.
Posted By: Edwin264 Re: All-around rifle? - 11/22/18
It’s hard to go with just one caliber for me because I like guns and want to try them all! I’ve shot deer and hogs with:
.223 Rem- deer and hogs
.220 Swift- lots of deer and hogs
.25-06 Rem- deer and hogs
.270 WSM- hogs
7 Mag- lots of deer and hogs
.338 Lapua one deer
45/70 one deer

If I had to pick one caliber from what i’ve used so far, it would be the 7mag. It’s a Remington 700 Rocky Mountain Elk edition that I won in a drawing. For some reason and I cannot explain why, the recoil if extremely tolerable. My brother’s 7 Mag in Model 70 kicks the chit outa me. I’m getting away from the .22 centerfires because to me, they are all short range guns, meaning that the farther the bullet gets out there the less azz it has to get the job done. Today I’m leaving to go hunting and I’ll be carrying my 270 Winchester and 30-30.

Edwin
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: All-around rifle? - 11/22/18
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Handle a bunch of rifles personally and pick the one that fits you best, including stuff like safety manipulation, magazine type, etc. Then decide on the cartridge from those available in that model. Honestly, I see no need for any of the magnums in the East, even if you include Kentucky elk. Other than that, pick a cartridge and use good bullets, and you should be fine. There's all kinds of debate here on cartridge virtues, but except for very specialized usage, they're all fine, especially if you reload and aren't dependent on Walmart for your ammo. Any of the standard rounds should give you good bore-life too, important I think in one's go-to rifle.

BTW, there are caliber restrictions on those Kentucky and Pennsylvania elk, if those are on your list of possibilities.

This ^^^^^^ pretty well sums it up. Pick the rifle that feels best to YOU. Any of the cartridges would work. I finally settled on .270 Win because (as noted above) that is the legal minimum if God ever blesses me with a KY Elk tag...

Rem 700 KS LH barreled action chambered .270 Win in a Rimrock stock with Leupold 2.5x8x40 scope.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: All-around rifle? - 11/22/18
After reading all the opinions, I think I'm going to buy two Tikka T3X rifles instead of the Mesa. One in 6.5 Creedmoor and one in 7mm-08. Put the same optics on both and hunt with the one I feel shoots best. I have a 308 in a Tikka T3X already, was going to have it rebored to 358 Win. I Like reading all the opinions, thanks for the feedback.

Can't go wrong.
Posted By: moosemike Re: All-around rifle? - 11/22/18
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Not looking to pick a fight here, but can someone explain to me the utility of having a Tikka in a short action. I mean the action length, weight, and usually barrel length is the same. If you’re going to get a .308, might as well make it a 30-06. If you’re going to get it rechambered to .358 Winchester, you might as well make it a .35 Whelen and so on and so forth.

Exactly why I avoid Tikka. I like short action cartridges and I like them in short action rifles.
Posted By: smokepole Re: All-around rifle? - 11/22/18
My ideal would be a lightweight rifle that's accurate, in 7 mm. with enough powder capacity to push heavy bullets at decent velocity, but not "too much" recoil. I'm hoping the 280 AI NULA I just received yesterday will fit the bill. We'll see.
Can't see the logic in 6.5 and 7-08, but you gotta do what you gotta do and eventually one will stand out.
Originally Posted by 79S
270 winchester

This for me, but Tikka hasn't earned its 270 badge. That's reserved for M70's only!!
Posted By: Jwood1284 Re: All-around rifle? - 11/22/18
Many have mentioned a 7mm-08 as a great all around caliber suitable for anything in the region you hunt. M70 EW, Fieldcraft, Tikka T3 SS....flip a coin. I just put together an all ‘rounder over the last few months only taking advantage of sales and classifieds. Hindsight the 7mm-08 would be preferred, but the .243 was on sale:

Tikka T3x .243win SS - Whittaker’s Memorial Day Sale
Vortex Razor HD LH 1.5-8x32 - SWFA clearance
Talley extra lows - ‘Fire gearstore
McM Edge Sako Hunter- ‘Fire classifieds

7lb-3oz

A superlite would have been even lighter, but the sporter profile puts more weight over the front (especially since adding the Edge) which I prefer. Waiting on dies and Starline brass to put together a load with 80gr TTSXs.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: All-around rifle? - 11/22/18
Can't see the logic in 6.5 and 7-08, but you gotta do what you gotta do and eventually one will stand out.

Yeah, especially when one already owns the same rifle in a 308. That actually sounds like a really good way to mix up ammo and have a catastrophe.
Posted By: GunTruck50 Re: All-around rifle? - 11/22/18

Tikka 7mm08 or a 270win or 30/06. I think the 7m08 is best light round.
Plus a big waste of money for redundant field performance, while having none of the benefits of having two rifles chambered for the same cartridge, such as owning an identical backup rifle in case of emergency, and the ease in logistics of stocking one type of ammo/components.
Posted By: drover Re: All-around rifle? - 11/22/18

OP,

I am a bit mystified as to why you would want multiple calibers so close in performance unless you just have an urge to buy two rifes. Just pick a caliber and go with it, spend the extra money on components, hunting trips, etc.

Personally I have never been able to tell the difference in recoil between the 308 and 7-08, I have not owned a 6.5 yet but from years of shooting a 260 Rem which virtually duplicates the 6.5 I can tell you that it does recoil a bit less.
Get a T-3 in any of the above calibers and it will work for the scenario outlined in your original post. The nice thing aboiut the T-3 is that everyone I have owned has been "plug and play" - just put a scope on it and go shoot small groups.

drover
Originally Posted by drover

OP,

I am a bit mystified as to why you would want multiple calibers so close in performance unless you just have an urge to buy two rifes. Just pick a caliber and go with it, spend the extra money on components, hunting trips, etc.

Personally I have never been able to tell the difference in recoil between the 308 and 7-08, I have not owned a 6.5 yet but from years of shooting a 260 Rem which virtually duplicates the 6.5 I can tell you that it does recoil a bit less.
Get a T-3 in any of the above calibers and it will work for the scenario outlined in your original post. The nice thing aboiut the T-3 is that everyone I have owned has been "plug and play" - just put a scope on it and go shoot small groups.

drover

Exactly. The current popularity of 140-147 grain bullets in 6.5 Creedmoor makes for very little difference in recoil, when compared to 140 grain 7mm-08 and 150-155 grain 308 loads. As in, when I've shot similar rifles side by side the biggest difference I could detect between the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 308 was in noise level, not recoil.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: All-around rifle? - 11/22/18

It's simply a manufacturing convenience and probably keeps costs down a bit. If the other characteristics of a Tikka appealed to me, I wouldn't sweat 1/2" of action length. We managed to survive with short rounds in Mausers and pre-64s for a good while before short actions became common. Non-issue for me in a hunting rifle, and occasionally the long action allows seating bullets out to some advantage with minor mods to mags and/or bolt stops. And there can be good reasons to go with short rounds even when the same rifle can be had in the "long versions". Different strokes.
Posted By: Formidilosus Re: All-around rifle? - 11/22/18

It just doesn’t matter. The huge less than half inch difference in length means nothing. Does shooting 223 in a short action bother you?

You’re pole vaulting over mouse turds.
Posted By: Formidilosus Re: All-around rifle? - 11/22/18
Originally Posted by moosemike

Exactly why I avoid Tikka. I like short action cartridges and I like them in short action rifles.

Good thing you don’t shoot 223’s in short actions.......
Posted By: GregW Re: All-around rifle? - 11/22/18
Threads like this really show who likes to talk about rifles and maybe hunt a bit compared to those who hunt a lot.....

Some of the stupid stuff argued for or against in this thread means jack crap...
Posted By: Alex38 Re: All-around rifle? - 11/22/18
T3 Lite SS in .270 with a 2-10x42 Monarch 5 in Warne rings shooting 150 NP’s would be perfect for an all-rounder. At least that’s what I thought, and how I put mine together. Can hunt almost all of NA with that combo without issue.
Posted By: Wrongside Re: All-around rifle? - 11/22/18
Originally Posted by drover

OP,

drover

Totally agree. Pick one and go hunting/shooting.

Personally, my recent Tikka 6.5CM was so easy- mount a solid scope (LRHS), whip up some reasonably sure loads, and be dialled in to 500M by the end of range session #1- I'd go that route. And likely will be going that route for my wife's new hunting rifle.

T3 6.5CM, SS 6x, solid rings... Like drover said, "plug and play"...
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: All-around rifle? - 11/22/18
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

To some guys 1/2" is a big difference. I personally could care less. Tikka builds extremely accurate rifles that work just fine. This short action vs long action chit is funny.
Posted By: baltz526 Re: All-around rifle? - 11/22/18
For an east coast bolt action (east of Mississippi) I would just go with a 308 Winchester. Then for longer range deer, shoot the 125gr Ballistic tip. Closer range 150gr Partitions. Exactly like I do East of the Mississippi. For large critter up close 180gr Partitions/Speer Hot core or whatever 180 is accurate. The real problem. One rifle is too boring to settle for just one.
Posted By: Otter6 Re: All-around rifle? - 11/23/18
T3 270 Win I brought in this summer. Can't complain. All around rifle? Sure,why not?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ray Re: All-around rifle? - 11/23/18
I hunt from VA to FL and have a few rifles already in my stable, but I'm looking for that one that I'll carry 90% of the time. I used to use 3-4 different rifles during the season and want that one that I get to know like the back of my hand. I do reload. My thoughts of rifles and calibers. I'm sure this has been done a million times on here. Shots from 25-400yds depending on the state. I have good glass to put on the rifle that I finally decide on. My initial thoughts....

Rifles:
Bergara B14
Christensen Mesa
Tikka T-3X

Caliber choices:
6.5 Creedmoor
7mm mag
* A 280 if I could find one in the right rifle.

It's ashame the rifle business for manufacturers has gone where it's gone. Id love a 338 Federal in a Tikka or a 358 Winchester in a Ruger Hawkeye 77 for a lot of my hunting under 300yds.

All depends on where you hunt and what you hunt. For example, in Alaska where I live the most popular cartridges are the .30-06, .300WM, .338WM, 7mm Magnum, and .375H&H. There are all kinds of cartridges in between, but those calibers are the most popular.

For the type of hunting I do, the .338WM with a 225-grain TTSX is perfect, and so would be a .30-06 or .300WM with a 180-grainer, or even a .375 H&H with a 270 though 300 grainer. I chose the .338WM several years ago, simply because it falls in the middle, kicking on the hills of the outstanding .375H&H. The reasons why these calibers are popular in Alaska is because the animals we hunt tend to be very large, and some fight back. Yes, there is noting wrong with a .270 to hunt moose in bear country, but most hunters worry a little about bears. And yes, some hunters don't worry about bears, big butts, big kneecaps, and big foot, but "me chicken" does.

Your cartridge choices look great to me, and for some reason I can't explain I would pick the .270 first, and 7-08 second.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: All-around rifle? - 11/23/18
Not being contrite, but all my rifles are “all around”. If I’m taking it hunting, it will do the work. I do admire the guy who has hunted with one rifle for too many years to count. He’s the fella who can snap a quick shot in timber or lay behind the scope and crush big fur at distance...No big deal, every time. 😎
Posted By: minixjt Re: All-around rifle? - 11/23/18
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Originally Posted by Pappy348

This ^^^^^^ pretty well sums it up. Pick the rifle that feels best to YOU. Any of the cartridges would work. I finally settled on .270 Win because (as noted above) that is the legal minimum if God ever blesses me with a KY Elk tag...

Rem 700 KS LH barreled action chambered .270 Win in a Rimrock stock with Leupold 2.5x8x40 scope.

Yes. The elusive KY elk tag. My father and friends have all applied so often. No one has gotten one. I personally am just going out West in 2 years.

I like your choice. Hard to beat a 270. Mine is a M70 EWSS 30.06. Love it. Considering getting a 7mm Mag. Have a M70 PF 300 WM that shots excellent but it’s in a heavy Boyd’s stock atm
Posted By: JMR40 Re: All-around rifle? - 11/23/18
[quote]The current popularity of 140-147 grain bullets in 6.5 Creedmoor makes for very little difference in recoil, when compared to 140 grain 7mm-08 and 150-155 grain 308 loads. As in, when I've shot similar rifles side by side the biggest difference I could detect between the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 308 was in noise level, not recoil.
/quote]

With those bullet weights the 6.5 CM has 12 ft lbs recoil in an 8 lb rifle. The 308 will have 15 and 7-08 about 14. Just for reference a 243 shooting 100 gr bullets is about 11. And with those bullet weights the 6.5 will significantly out penetrate 308 or 7-08 on game. You have to move up to 175-180 gr bullets in 7mm or 30 caliber to match the penetration you get with 140's in 6.5. And that means even more recoil. 180's in a 308 is getting close to 30-06 recoil with 150's.

That said I settled on 308 as my all around rifle some years ago. I consider the 7-08 a ballistic twin and would have no argument with someone who prefers it. But I've also played with the 6.5 CM enough to be satisfied that it'll kill anything the 308 or 7-08 will kill. And do it with less recoil, and probably better accuracy.

But at this point I ain't selling my 308's and replacing them with 6.5's. At normal hunting ranges the only real difference is recoil. But for someone just starting out I'd advise the 6.5.

Which rifle is a personal choice, but I like the Tikka a lot.
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: All-around rifle? - 11/23/18
Originally Posted by JMR40
[quote]The current popularity of 140-147 grain bullets in 6.5 Creedmoor makes for very little difference in recoil, when compared to 140 grain 7mm-08 and 150-155 grain 308 loads. As in, when I've shot similar rifles side by side the biggest difference I could detect between the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 308 was in noise level, not recoil.
/quote]

With those bullet weights the 6.5 CM has 12 ft lbs recoil in an 8 lb rifle. The 308 will have 15 and 7-08 about 14. Just for reference a 243 shooting 100 gr bullets is about 11. And with those bullet weights the 6.5 will significantly out penetrate 308 or 7-08 on game. You have to move up to 175-180 gr bullets in 7mm or 30 caliber to match the penetration you get with 140's in 6.5. And that means even more recoil. 180's in a 308 is getting close to 30-06 recoil with 150's.

That said I settled on 308 as my all around rifle some years ago. I consider the 7-08 a ballistic twin and would have no argument with someone who prefers it. But I've also played with the 6.5 CM enough to be satisfied that it'll kill anything the 308 or 7-08 will kill. And do it with less recoil, and probably better accuracy.

But at this point I ain't selling my 308's and replacing them with 6.5's. At normal hunting ranges the only real difference is recoil. But for someone just starting out I'd advise the 6.5.

With loads I use in my rifles, at real world chronographed velocities, with 147s over 4350 and 155s over Varget, the 6.5 and 308 recoil at something like 13.1 and 14.9, in 8 lb rifles, respectively. Not enough difference to matter, as both have some decent recoil and really aren't light recoiling guns.

Penetration is dependent on bullet construction, and either have enough penetration for the big game normally shot with these sorts of rifles. SD as a metric for bullet performance is a tired trope.

I hear ya on sticking with the 308. That's my preference, also.

For someone starting out, I'd recommend something that kicks significantly less than either of the three. But that's getting pretty far off topic.

Posted By: 16bore Re: All-around rifle? - 11/23/18
Originally Posted by GregW
Threads like this really show who likes to talk about rifles and maybe hunt a bit compared to those who hunt a lot.....

Some of the stupid stuff argued for or against in this thread means jack crap...

Probably less than jack crap....

Boots, glass, and sound clothing ("system"if you must)

Then there's the wind....
Posted By: moosemike Re: All-around rifle? - 11/23/18
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
[quote=JMR40]
The current popularity of 140-147 grain bullets in 6.5 Creedmoor makes for very little difference in recoil, when compared to 140 grain 7mm-08 and 150-155 grain 308 loads. As in, when I've shot similar rifles side by side the biggest difference I could detect between the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 308 was in noise level, not recoil.
/quote]

With loads I use in my rifles, at real world chronographed velocities, with 147s over 4350 and 155s over Varget, the 6.5 and 308 recoil at something like 13.1 and 14.9, in 8 lb rifles, respectively. Not enough difference to matter, as both have some decent recoil and really aren't light recoiling guns.

Penetration is dependent on bullet construction, and either have enough penetration for the big game normally shot with these sorts of rifles. SD as a metric for bullet performance is a tired trope.

I hear ya on sticking with the 308. That's my preference, also.

For someone starting out, I'd recommend something that kicks significantly less than either of the three. But that's getting pretty far off topic.

Like the two of you I'm pretty happy with the 308 Win. But unlike you two I'm planning on getting in on the Creedmoor scene too.
Posted By: Trystan Re: All-around rifle? - 11/23/18

The difference in cartridges isn't Jack! If you already have a T3 and it doesn't stand out as something you want to carry everyday than a different cartridge that's more of the same is gonna change things

Sounds to me like you seriously need a Barrett Fieldcraft 😁 Get it in the caliber you have the most components for. If you've never handled one stop at a Cabelas and take a look and feel. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. In fact it seems a good many campfire members have been pleasantly surprised with the fieldcraft. I've not had the opportunity to shoot one yet but the one I held in my hands was one of the most tempting rifles to buy I've handled

Trystan
Posted By: 79S Re: All-around rifle? - 11/23/18
Originally Posted by 79S
270 winchester

This for me, but Tikka hasn't earned its 270 badge. That's reserved for M70's only!!

Yep mine is in a stainless classic, shoots 145 eld-x very well. Pretty much covers all my hunting needs up here in Alaska minus big bears.
Posted By: jt402 Re: All-around rifle? - 11/23/18
Of the CF rifles that I now have, if you pinned me to one, I would likely choose an early Commercial FN with a trim custom stock. It can be loaded down to about 30-30 ballistics, and with Superformance 180s, you can get really close to 300 H&H power. Factory loads go down to low recoil levels, if you do not wish to hand load.

I also have a matched pair of early 60s Browning Safaris in 243 and 308., built on small ring FN actions. Both accurate and dependable. They would span anything that I have left to do in the lower 48.

I’m not yet ready for one or two, but these options work without any outlay of funds.

Jack
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: All-around rifle? - 11/23/18

When you’re ready to reload for the Mighty -08, let me know. I load for 5 Tikkas in 7mm-08, I can help.

P
Posted By: Dre Re: All-around rifle? - 11/23/18
All of those rifles sound nice
I’d go 280.
While I love my 270 and 30/06. With the 280, is best of both worlds.
Posted By: David_Walter Re: All-around rifle? - 11/23/18
I I didn't already have this in 6.5 creedmoor, this would be my pick for all around rifle:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...raft-18-5-308-w-case-of-hornady-178-eldx
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: All-around rifle? - 11/23/18
So many get hung up on a cal. But that is only a part of it...I have several rifles that that I have to think hard which one I want to take...one in paticular is an old beat up sako L61R in 30-06. I got it in a pawn shop cheap...it had a pad that was rock hard and krumbling...the only pad I had was a really thick one so I installed that one adding about a half inch or so...I couldn't believe the difference in fit and aiming ability...I shoot it really well....another is a custom.husky again in 30-06. It has a barrel mounted sling stud and the balance of the rifle is perfect...it carries well all day...its topped with Lyman 2.5 post...the perfect walking rifle...several others could almost make the grade...88 win and pre 64 70 FW...
Posted By: Otter6 Re: All-around rifle? - 11/23/18
Originally Posted by David_Walter
I I didn't already have this in 6.5 creedmoor, this would be my pick for all around rifle:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...raft-18-5-308-w-case-of-hornady-178-eldx

Not my cup of tea,but with the ammo it's a hell of a deal. I'd buy it for my daughter of I wasn't already hunt poor.
Posted By: viking Re: All-around rifle? - 11/23/18
My all around rifle is my GSR, by my difinition anyway. I could get by with it in a lot of different situations. My only complaint is the noise level.
Posted By: moosemike Re: All-around rifle? - 11/23/18
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

Indeed it is!
Posted By: Dogshooter Re: All-around rifle? - 11/23/18
To me..... all-around would mean a rifle capable of punching any tag, under any condition, at any sane range, and has to be <8lbs all-up.

The .308 case does not offer enough horsepower to qualify. Yeah.... I know.... but I ain’t towing the dump trailer with an F-150 either.

I’m not gay enough to go .270..... or .270 Beav.... or Roy... etc. Though, they’re an excellent choice for the LGBT crowd.

I’m not old enough to ‘06.... and I see no reason to .300 Mag anything... ever again.

7mm Rem Mag seems just right to me....

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
To me..... all-around would mean a rifle capable of punching any tag, under any condition, at any sane range, and has to be <8lbs all-up.

The .308 case does not offer enough horsepower to qualify. Yeah.... I know.... but I ain’t towing the dump trailer with an F-150 either.

I’m not gay enough to go .270..... or .270 Beav.... or Roy... etc. Though, they’re an excellent choice for the LGBT crowd.

I’m not old enough to ‘06.... and I see no reason to .300 Mag anything... ever again.

7mm Rem Mag seems just right to me....

[Linked Image]

Boom....

(But I still prefer my two-seventhy, sailor)

😜
Posted By: Gladesman Re: All-around rifle? - 11/23/18
The best all around rifle would be my Ruger 77 in 35 Whelen. I hunt with several others, too, but if I could only keep one, the Ruger Whelen would be it.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: All-around rifle? - 11/23/18
I thought we were talkin "all around" from Virginia to Florida ? If so, that means deer, maybe black bear and hogs and possibly some predators/varmints, correct ? Anybody who needs a 7 mag., .35 Whelen, .358, or even .30-06 for that needs shooting lessons or game anatomy lessons, one or the other. Not saying they won't work but they sure are more than needed for game of that size.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: All-around rifle? - 11/23/18

Were I to want an "all round" rifle I would choose a ZG47 in 30-06 and drop it into a good light synthetic stock.

Something like this...not mine, appropiated picture from UsedGuns ad. HERE

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I thought we were talkin "all around" from Virginia to Florida ? If so, that means deer, maybe black bear and hogs and possibly some predators varmints, correct ? Anybody who needs a 7 mag., .35 Whelen, .358, .30-06 or even .308 for that needs shooting lessons or game anatomy lessons, one or the other.

That wouldn’t be “all-around”..... now would it? That would be “The South”. I love when “all-around” means “all-around my narrow hunting conditions”. Nobody needs a big 7 for white tails out of a tree stand, or bears over bait.... but that’s only a small part of “all-around”.... and anyone who thinks that the 7 ain’t effective in those situations, hasn’t hunted much.

If all-around truly means all-around... then sometimes you’re gonna be a little over-gunned, sometimes you may be a bit undergunned. I’d have no issue taking that rifle I pictured above to hunt almost anything, almost anywhere, under almost any conditions, from Alabama to Zimbabwe.... and I’d expect it to hammer anything I pointed it at.... with about 4 or 5 exceptions. Those exceptions are animals who are willing and capable of immediately rearranging my anatomy.

If “all-around” means whitetail and an occasional black bear, at treestand/woods ranges.... then you can pick about any chambering.... and have it “all” covered.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: All-around rifle? - 11/23/18
25-400 yards hey?

Chip shots with one of these things.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I thought we were talkin "all around" from Virginia to Florida ? If so, that means deer, maybe black bear and hogs and possibly some predators varmints, correct ? Anybody who needs a 7 mag., .35 Whelen, .358, .30-06 or even .308 for that needs shooting lessons or game anatomy lessons, one or the other.

That wouldn’t be “all-around”..... now would it? That would be “The South”. I love when “all-around” means “all-around my narrow hunting conditions”. Nobody needs a big 7 for white tails out of a tree stand, or bears over bait.... but that’s only a small part of “all-around”.... and anyone who thinks that the 7 ain’t effective in those situations, hasn’t hunted much.

If all-around truly means all-around... then sometimes you’re gonna be a little over-gunned, sometimes you may be a bit undergunned. I’d have no issue taking that rifle I pictured above to hunt almost anything, almost anywhere, under almost any conditions, from Alabama to Zimbabwe.... and I’d expect it to hammer anything I pointed it at.... with about 4 or 5 exceptions. Those exceptions are animals who are willing and capable of immediately rearranging my anatomy.

If “all-around” means whitetail and an occasional black bear, at treestand/woods ranges.... then you can pick about any chambering.... and have it “all” covered.
The OP said "all around" for hunting from Fl. to VA.
That ain’t all-around.... that’s the point.
That ain’t all-around.... that’s the point.
The "point" is that there ain't no grizzlies or moose to be hunted between VA and Fl where the OP said he hunts.
Then spin a dead cat in a circle by its tail.... and pick whatever cartridge it knocks off the shelf.... cause it doesn’t matter one iota.

But that ain’t exactly “all-around”....
Posted By: Bocajnala Re: All-around rifle? - 11/23/18
7mm-08 is the way to go here. I'd go handle as many as you could and go from there. Decide what fits you well

-jake
243 wasn't on the list and should be
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: All-around rifle? - 11/23/18
Niether was 7/08 or “North American all rounder” grin
Posted By: Golficeman Re: All-around rifle? - 11/24/18
I Love how "the Campfire" always turns into an argument amongst a few guys over some so simple to discuss. I can always count on it here.... LOL
I have a Kimber Hunter 7mm-08 and I hate the rifle. I've never had luck with Kimber and have had several. Most are 1.25" or worse shooters. This one I've finally handloaded 120gr TTSX to about ¾" , but I don't trust the damn rifle. Lots of extra work for a rifle with a guarantee. I'd say it's my last Kimber and it's for sale locally with a Leupold VX2 3x9 scope, Kimber soft case. Ive never hunted with do to finishing up my handloads late last winter. I've now heard mixed reviews on the Mesa, so it will probably be a Tikka T3X. My caliber of choice is still a little up in the air.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: All-around rifle? - 11/24/18
I Love how "the Campfire" always turns into an argument amongst a few guys over some so simple to discuss. I can always count on it here.... LOL
I have a Kimber Hunter 7mm-08 and I hate the rifle. I've never had luck with Kimber and have had several. Most are 1.25" or worse shooters. This one I've finally handloaded 120gr TTSX to about ¾" , but I don't trust the damn rifle. Lots of extra work for a rifle with a guarantee. I'd say it's my last Kimber and it's for sale locally with a Leupold VX2 3x9 scope, Kimber soft case. Ive never hunted with do to finishing up my handloads late last winter. I've now heard mixed reviews on the Mesa, so it will probably be a Tikka T3X. My caliber of choice is still a little up in the air.

Its almost a given that the tikka will be a good shooter out of the box. Thats something most of us here wont argue about.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: All-around rifle? - 11/24/18

I’ve been warned to stop posting target pics of my Tikka 7mm-08s.

P
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

P

Keep posting them. Just quit covering up some of the shots with tape and calling the 3 exposed holes sub moa. shocked laugh
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: All-around rifle? - 11/24/18
Even better, I cover all but two, but claim it’s three.

P
Posted By: JoeBob Re: All-around rifle? - 11/24/18
How about a brand new Ruger Hawkeye .280 for $449.
Even better, I cover all but two, but claim it’s three.

P

Ha ha . Good one grin
Posted By: las Re: All-around rifle? - 11/24/18
Mauser 98 action in .30-06 caliber. Neither are likely to let you down under nearly any circumstance. Energizer bunny class.

A Model 70 might do - I should get one someday.
Posted By: las Re: All-around rifle? - 11/24/18
Even better, I cover all but two, but claim it’s three. P

Man, you guys like to uselessly burn up good ammo.

Just shoot one-shot groups like I do.... smile
Originally Posted by las

Im about ready to start.
Posted By: The_Yetti Re: All-around rifle? - 11/25/18
Originally Posted by las

Savage99 says that's all that matters!
Posted By: buttstock Re: All-around rifle? - 11/25/18
These threads are both interesting and boring to read. Interesting, to get a sense of what current thought patterns are for choices. Boring, when in the end, there is nothing pragmatically new.

“All around” is a compromise. Not perfect. A compromise. Should be effective whatever the owner/hunter/shooter uses as selection criteria. Therefore it will naturally be different for everyone. Then input “ bias” or “ preference” for action design.

In the end, calibers from 6.5 mm/ .26 ( maybe .243 and .257) on the small end, to 308” - 338+ on a 2” case (“308 family”) to 2.5” case (“30-06 family”) on the big end will come up in the answer. And more importantly, whatever you choose IS the right answer, because they all work-based on the owner’s selection. Hunt elk? Go bigger. Just hunt deer? Go smaller. No surprises there.

More important to me is PROFICIENCY of the hunter/shooter of “ the selected all around rifle” ( and load) rather than the rifle itself. It goes to the “ beware of the shooter with one gun, as he/she probably knows how to use it” train of thought.

I’m thinning the herd of my rifles. First, eliminating calibers and components (sold off .257”, .270, 7mm, .358”, 9.3 mm, .458”). Sticking with .308” ( 4 30-06 rifles, 1 308 Win, 1. 30-30). I could have kept any of the calibers for my needs, but settled on .308. That is MY choice of caliber. Action preference is bolt / lever: JC Higgins FN Mauser “98”, BACO USA-era Win 70 sporter, Marlin 336a, Tikka T3 varmint. Optics: 2.5x to 6x fixed power scopes ( vintage Lyman AA, Weaver micro-trac, Leupold m8, Burris Signature)

I just want to shoot what I have more often, and simplify reloading inventory. Will sell off a couple of the 30-06 rifle in due time-after I play with them a bit.

Nothing new to my thought process. Pretty boring overall. In the end, I am shooting more. That is good. Just my 2c.

Next, is pistol “ herd thinning.”...
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: All-around rifle? - 11/27/18
Choose the rifle first, then the cartridge. Most come chambered for cartridges that will work well.
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: All-around rifle? - 12/04/18
Threads like this really show who likes to talk about rifles and maybe hunt a bit compared to those who hunt a lot......

I don't know if I would make that leap. There are plenty of morons and plenty of a-holes in both camps. As a matter of fact, some of the biggest a-holes on this forum clearly hunt/shoot a lot and clearly know their stuff.

I agree 100%.

On another note, unlike some, I will limit my response to the criteria laid out and articulated by the OP. I would choose, based on those options, a Tikka in 280. Oh, here's one for sale on another forum: https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/tikka-t3-280ai.211019/
Posted By: himmelrr Re: All-around rifle? - 12/04/18
Holy cow, what a thread. I try not to MY apply logic to OTHER PEOPLE's decisions. That exercise is like a self sucking D-I-L-D-O...it rattles around, makes a lot of noise and in the end it is good for absolutely nothing.

There are many good options and a lot are being debated in this thread. I did a lot of hunting for a good all around rifle and ended up with a pair of custom Remington 600s with McMillan stocks. One in 338Fed and the other in 7mm-08. They weigh 6.5 and 5.5 pounds each respectively.

Buy/borrow as many rifles as you can to find a rifle/chambering that fits you. I found the Rem 600 action and dog leg bolt to my liking while hunting. The Barrett Fieldcraft is one VERY good option IMO.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: All-around rifle? - 12/04/18
Pick a boolit and surround it with a rifle,that'll support it.

Not much to it................
Posted By: centershot Re: All-around rifle? - 12/04/18
How much do you carry it? You climbing 2,000 vertical feet and packing that sucker 5-6 miles per day? or hiking to a blind or setup on relatively flat ground for 1/2 mile or so? I do a lot of the former and just picked up a Kimber Hunter in 6.5 CM. Will be nice to drop 3# off my rifle weight.
Light done right,is never a concession.

Nobody gets metal more right,than S/A Fieldcrafts.

Hint.............
Posted By: geedubya Re: All-around rifle? - 12/04/18
Originally Posted by The_Yetti
Originally Posted by las

First shot out of a cold barrel!

Seems reasonable!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

(I hear one seldom gets a second chance to make a first impression!)

Quien Sabe?

GWB
Posted By: shrapnel Re: All-around rifle? - 12/04/18

If I was so broke and bored to limit myself to one rifle, I would use what my father used back in his guiding/hunting days and go with a 30-06 in a Sako with a Zeiss German Diavari 3-9X36 and 165 grain Hornady spire point bullets. When I was first married, that was the only gun I had and killed every animal from gophers to elk with it...
Glad I've never lost a bet that big.

Congratulations?!?

Laughing!............
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: All-around rifle? - 12/11/18
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

P

Keep posting them. Just quit covering up some of the shots with tape and calling the 3 exposed holes sub moa. shocked laugh

No need to go through that hassle. For forum target pictures, a #2 pencil is your friend.
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: All-around rifle? - 12/11/18
All I had for a big game bolt gun was my iron-sighted Ruger M77 7mm RM for the first 20+ years. Prairie dogs, coyotes, antelope, deer and elk all died quickly.

If I had to go back to one rifle, that would be the one.

Having more is just more fun, not a necessity.
Posted By: moosemike Re: All-around rifle? - 12/11/18
One planet, One gun, 375 H&H. Now that's an "all 'rounder".
Posted By: Otter6 Re: All-around rifle? - 12/12/18
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by The_Yetti
Originally Posted by las

First shot out of a cold barrel!

Seems reasonable!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

(I hear one seldom gets a second chance to make a first impression!)

Quien Sabe?

GWB

This. Been rolling this way for a while now.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: All-around rifle? - 12/12/18
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

See my Sig line.

But I prefer 308.

Your choice of 270 isn't bad. wink

"For women, kids, or men of slight build".

Or,
Those with a douche knot. grin
© 24hourcampfire