Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
7mm-08 is the way to go here. I'd go handle as many as you could and go from there. Decide what fits you well

-jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
243 wasn't on the list and should be

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Niether was 7/08 or “North American all rounder” grin

G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
I Love how "the Campfire" always turns into an argument amongst a few guys over some so simple to discuss. I can always count on it here.... LOL
I have a Kimber Hunter 7mm-08 and I hate the rifle. I've never had luck with Kimber and have had several. Most are 1.25" or worse shooters. This one I've finally handloaded 120gr TTSX to about ¾" , but I don't trust the damn rifle. Lots of extra work for a rifle with a guarantee. I'd say it's my last Kimber and it's for sale locally with a Leupold VX2 3x9 scope, Kimber soft case. Ive never hunted with do to finishing up my handloads late last winter. I've now heard mixed reviews on the Mesa, so it will probably be a Tikka T3X. My caliber of choice is still a little up in the air.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Golficeman
I Love how "the Campfire" always turns into an argument amongst a few guys over some so simple to discuss. I can always count on it here.... LOL
I have a Kimber Hunter 7mm-08 and I hate the rifle. I've never had luck with Kimber and have had several. Most are 1.25" or worse shooters. This one I've finally handloaded 120gr TTSX to about ¾" , but I don't trust the damn rifle. Lots of extra work for a rifle with a guarantee. I'd say it's my last Kimber and it's for sale locally with a Leupold VX2 3x9 scope, Kimber soft case. Ive never hunted with do to finishing up my handloads late last winter. I've now heard mixed reviews on the Mesa, so it will probably be a Tikka T3X. My caliber of choice is still a little up in the air.

Its almost a given that the tikka will be a good shooter out of the box. Thats something most of us here wont argue about.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

I’ve been warned to stop posting target pics of my Tikka 7mm-08s.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I’ve been warned to stop posting target pics of my Tikka 7mm-08s.

P

Keep posting them. Just quit covering up some of the shots with tape and calling the 3 exposed holes sub moa. shocked laugh

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Even better, I cover all but two, but claim it’s three.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
How about a brand new Ruger Hawkeye .280 for $449.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Even better, I cover all but two, but claim it’s three.

P

Ha ha . Good one grin

BSA MAGA
IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Mauser 98 action in .30-06 caliber. Neither are likely to let you down under nearly any circumstance. Energizer bunny class.

A Model 70 might do - I should get one someday.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Even better, I cover all but two, but claim it’s three. P

Man, you guys like to uselessly burn up good ammo.

Just shoot one-shot groups like I do.... smile

Last edited by las; 11/24/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by las

Im about ready to start.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by las

Savage99 says that's all that matters!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
These threads are both interesting and boring to read. Interesting, to get a sense of what current thought patterns are for choices. Boring, when in the end, there is nothing pragmatically new.

“All around” is a compromise. Not perfect. A compromise. Should be effective whatever the owner/hunter/shooter uses as selection criteria. Therefore it will naturally be different for everyone. Then input “ bias” or “ preference” for action design.

In the end, calibers from 6.5 mm/ .26 ( maybe .243 and .257) on the small end, to 308” - 338+ on a 2” case (“308 family”) to 2.5” case (“30-06 family”) on the big end will come up in the answer. And more importantly, whatever you choose IS the right answer, because they all work-based on the owner’s selection. Hunt elk? Go bigger. Just hunt deer? Go smaller. No surprises there.

More important to me is PROFICIENCY of the hunter/shooter of “ the selected all around rifle” ( and load) rather than the rifle itself. It goes to the “ beware of the shooter with one gun, as he/she probably knows how to use it” train of thought.

I’m thinning the herd of my rifles. First, eliminating calibers and components (sold off .257”, .270, 7mm, .358”, 9.3 mm, .458”). Sticking with .308” ( 4 30-06 rifles, 1 308 Win, 1. 30-30). I could have kept any of the calibers for my needs, but settled on .308. That is MY choice of caliber. Action preference is bolt / lever: JC Higgins FN Mauser “98”, BACO USA-era Win 70 sporter, Marlin 336a, Tikka T3 varmint. Optics: 2.5x to 6x fixed power scopes ( vintage Lyman AA, Weaver micro-trac, Leupold m8, Burris Signature)

I just want to shoot what I have more often, and simplify reloading inventory. Will sell off a couple of the 30-06 rifle in due time-after I play with them a bit.

Nothing new to my thought process. Pretty boring overall. In the end, I am shooting more. That is good. Just my 2c.

Next, is pistol “ herd thinning.”...

Last edited by buttstock; 11/25/18.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Choose the rifle first, then the cartridge. Most come chambered for cartridges that will work well.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GregW
Threads like this really show who likes to talk about rifles and maybe hunt a bit compared to those who hunt a lot......

I don't know if I would make that leap. There are plenty of morons and plenty of a-holes in both camps. As a matter of fact, some of the biggest a-holes on this forum clearly hunt/shoot a lot and clearly know their stuff.

Originally Posted by GregW
Some of the stupid stuff argued for or against in this thread means jack crap...

I agree 100%.

On another note, unlike some, I will limit my response to the criteria laid out and articulated by the OP. I would choose, based on those options, a Tikka in 280. Oh, here's one for sale on another forum: https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/tikka-t3-280ai.211019/

Last edited by TheBigSky; 12/04/18.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Holy cow, what a thread. I try not to MY apply logic to OTHER PEOPLE's decisions. That exercise is like a self sucking D-I-L-D-O...it rattles around, makes a lot of noise and in the end it is good for absolutely nothing.

There are many good options and a lot are being debated in this thread. I did a lot of hunting for a good all around rifle and ended up with a pair of custom Remington 600s with McMillan stocks. One in 338Fed and the other in 7mm-08. They weigh 6.5 and 5.5 pounds each respectively.

Buy/borrow as many rifles as you can to find a rifle/chambering that fits you. I found the Rem 600 action and dog leg bolt to my liking while hunting. The Barrett Fieldcraft is one VERY good option IMO.

Last edited by himmelrr; 12/04/18.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pick a boolit and surround it with a rifle,that'll support it.

Not much to it................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How much do you carry it? You climbing 2,000 vertical feet and packing that sucker 5-6 miles per day? or hiking to a blind or setup on relatively flat ground for 1/2 mile or so? I do a lot of the former and just picked up a Kimber Hunter in 6.5 CM. Will be nice to drop 3# off my rifle weight.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (160user, 1234, 1minute, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 1badf350, 52 invisible), 2,274 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,411
Posts18,507,124
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.