Home
I have brought my 6.5 CM Browning Hells Canyon Long Range rifle with the McM stock to the range a few times now, and it does not let me down. I will eventually get a Timney for it but that is my only complaint. Trigger could be better. It delivers 1/2 to 3/4 MOA consistently. Clean bore or dirty bore. I have only used Hornady factory 143 ELD X loads. Not sure if I am going to hand load for it but I am stocking up on brass.

Currently my range only goes to 550 yards and it is a blast to shoot steel plates with regularity. No, it ain't a hiking around rifle but will be great for bean fields. I almost bought a Tikka but I could not be more pleased with the Browning. It gives my .257 bee with a Bartlein barrel a run for the money.accuracy wise.
Sako

I've only had 1 Browning BOLT C F, - B B R - and it would NOT shoot accurately AFTER being returned to Morgan Utah.

ATST, my pard had the same rifle in 7mm RM and it was Great.

< also have had BLRs in 243 & 358. **NO problems**

I also had a B L R 22 rf and KICK my butt over and over for letting it get away from me.

I've ALSO seen many posts here in the 'fire' about different Brownings that I've had no experience using and people like them.
I loved the 60* lock and BUTTER smoothness.

WE have to ignore the PREJUDICE of some about several things.

ALL, ALL that matters is that YOU are happy.

Good Luck

Jerry
Dunno if you'd call it disdain; what I've seen is some concerns about the complexity of the newer ones under harsh conditions, along with a few examples of troubles that supposedly occurred. For my part, the metro-sexual styling is off-putting, but all I've seen have shown good workmanship. Another issue is their rather hefty price tag.

Brownings are also sold in Europe, and it appears they do pretty well there. Yurrupeans don't buy and sell guns as willy-nilly as we do, and people who can afford to hunt generally have the bucks for whatever they want. Browning's styling is pretty mild compared to its EU competition too, I think. Their new straight-pull is pretty price-competitive with others on the market and should sell. Unlike the others, it returns to battery under its own power after you flip it back, which would seem to be an advantage, if it works.
I don't know anyone that actually owns a Browning rifle that doesn't like it. I love the hells canyon as well. But, I don't think it has a mc millian stock does it?
Yes. It has a bedded Game Scout stock. Depends on the model. Same gun but different stock is offered. I have a game scout on my rem .257 bee and like it a lot. Go to the browning web page and I am sure they are listed.

Metro sexual styling? OK
As long as it is not used in Alaska they are fine. They tend to disintegrate above a certain parallel
tzone, here is a link to the McM stock.

https://www.browning.com/products/f...lt-hells-canyon-long-range-mcmillan.html
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

Gotchya. That's quite different from the one looked at. But I like it.
Everyone I've ever hunted with that owned a Browning really liked them. Range visits with the guys always impressed me. I just never could get away from Remington in the early days and now Sako/Tikka today.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
As long as it is not used in Alaska they are fine. They tend to disintegrate above a certain parallel

Let me tell my hunting partner that uses a Browning A-Bolt II 300 Win Mag that. He did start bear hunting and bought a Savage 116 .338 WM though, so maybe the Browning did disintegrate after all. smile
I think my late father-in-law was on to something, He hunted with an A Bolt II and bought his boys' Rem. 700's.
The ONLY browning rifle I had issues with was a 300 RUM stainless A-bolt. It would not shoot for beans!!!!
They do not make it anymore which tells me that the barrel was too thin for such a violent cartridge.
I used a BAR in the Navy and it seemed to work just fine.
I have a BAR in .338 that shoots pretty good and the wood is very nice.
My 6.5 Creedmoor doesn’t hold a candle to my .257 Wby Mag.
Originally Posted by Hudge

Let me tell my hunting partner that uses a Browning A-Bolt II 300 Win Mag that. He did start bear hunting and bought a Savage 116 .338 WM though, so maybe the Browning did disintegrate after all. smile
I think my late father-in-law was on to something, He hunted with an A Bolt II and bought his boys' Rem. 700's.

Read some of the browning a bolt posts here by a lot of alaskan posters.
Yeah just dont take it to Alaska and a Browning bolt rifle will make you a great hunting rifle 👍 But if your foolish enough to it take to Alaska it will disintegrate right in your hands from the brutal environment 😁.....Hb
To the OP......sounds like a nice rifle. I have an X-Bolt that is very accurate.

I live/hunt Southeast AK with no issues in and out of boats and whatnot. The only thing that irritates me is the right handed palm swell as I am a lefty that prefers the right handed setup.
I've got an X-bolt synthetic in 325WSM with a skinny barrel - consistent 3/4MOA shooter. A bit of an odd shape to the stock and heavy trigger but that's the only criticisms I have of it.
We have an X-Bolt Walnut in .375 H&H. It's a great rifle.

Read some of the browning a bolt posts here by a lot of alaskan posters.

Yeah, I read them and just mostly laugh. I was also warned I needed a CRF to hunt here and the no one uses push feed. The majority of people I met hunting here wouldn't know push feed from CRF. As long as the gun goes boom when they pull the trigger and the bullet hits what they are shooting at, that is all they care about.
I've had an A-Bolt II Stainless Stalker for 20-odd years. It is very accurate - one ragged hole at 100 yards more often than not - and has been very reliable .It is a nice light little rifle too.

I like the location of the safety, and that it locks the bolt closed. I find the magazine arrangement very handy for what I do - put the loaded mag in when I start hunting, take the rounds out in one go when I come to a public road or back to camp - and I can top it off quickly through the action if I need more rounds to drop the rest of a mob of pigs. That and the slick action have allowed me to drop five or more pigs out of a mob before they can get away, on more than one occasion. I don't even need to look at the rifle to stuff more rounds in, and have done it while running to keep a mob in sight.

I've knocked off a number of deer and goats with it too.

I am unlikely to take it to Alaska though.
I have 3 of the original A Bolts in 06, 300 Win and 338 Win...

accurate, never any issues and have always been very accurate...

bought them somewhere in 1990 or the early 90s... so I've had them a while...
Never been much of a fan of the Browning rifles for whatever reasons but one experience especially soured me on them...

Hunting in Africa I was paired up with another guy from this site. Great guy and we had a great time hunting together . His primary rifle was a Browning and we were out riding around in the back seat of the bakkie one day and a couple hares stopped in the road ahead of us, so the guide stopped the truck so we could get some shooting in. My partner leaned over the roll bar with his rifle and took a shot and yelped a bit. I looked over and when his .338 rifle recoiled the trigger guard came up against the rear bar of the roll cage and sheared off the trigger guard and trigger flush with the stock - with his finger still in the trigger guard. Not only was his rifle shot for the trip but his trigger finger was bleeding profusely all over him, the truck, the rifle, and killed his hunt for the day. All those pieces were just cheap pot metal. A decent steel trigger guard may have bent a bit but would have survived the ride. Lucky he had a back 30-06 along in a Winchester Model 70 to finish the trip with.... but he killed the heck out of that hare..... wink

Bob
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
my only complaint. Trigger could be better.

Order a Mcarbo Spring for $20 before you decide on a Timney, I was really surprised at the improvement
I have an older Medallion in 280. Never an issue and the most constantly accurate rifle I have ever owned.

ETA.. Not AK, but conditions here in Maine in November can be pretty brutal at times.
I’ve had several, I don’t feel disappointed!!
Over the years I’ve owned a BAR, several BLR’s and some
A-Bolts and only one was finicky with ammo... even reloads (was my 358 BLR). It still managed around a 1.5”-2” groups at 100 yards and slayed hogs like nothing else.
I’d say Browning triggers are all standard, but being in the military for a decade forced me to shoot crappy triggers to the point I can usually work any bolt trigger with zero issues.

I’d say don’t worry about it and just get used to it unless you wanna spend more cash.
Browning xbolts are pretty common where I live in AK, I’ve never heard any complaints about them. Those xbolts always seemed like nice well made basic hunting rifles to me.

I did this exact same thing. Although I'm not hunting in Alaska, I'm in south Louisiana and Texas hunting. My Browning A-Bolt II Medallion 7mm Rem Mag is the Queen of my safe. Got it a long time ago when the A-Bolt II first came out with the Boss system. I was probably 15 or so and have been shooting it since. The Boss was stupid loud co I put the CR Boss on. But with a magnum barrel and a Boss, the Barrel was damn near 27" long. Made it tuff for Tower stand hunting getting it in and out of some of our smaller tower windows. Thus I had a Rem 700 made in .308 with a 20" and love it as well. Kick is much less, which is understandable, and shorter barrel sure makes it easy where I hunt. Rem vs Browning down here in Louisiana, at least where I'm from, is a chevy vs ford debate. If my custom built Rem 700 had a removable clip like my A-bolt II, then I'd have the best of both worlds. I like the clip design of the A-bolt II. No detachable mag sticking out the bottom, just clean floor plate. The main reason I bought my 2 boys Rem 700's was the safety feature. The A-bolt II has the bolt lock feature and has to be placed on fire to remove the chambered round. Of course my boys ( now are much much older ) are and have been well taught to point a loaded weapon away from anyone when unloading. But there are times when they go hunting with others and well basically, I'm a father and get nervous. Thus the Rem 700 allows you to unload with the safety on. There still can be issues and accidents, but it gives me a little peace of mind. Back to my A-bolt, I have just recently removed the boss system completely and have had a thread protector made for it. Thus bringing my total "original" barrel length back to 24". Haven't shot it yet,b but plan to re-glass it and get it dialed back in. It is and always will be the "Queen" of my safe.
My BARs are not accurate, but the falling blocks are.

The A5 shotguns are great.
The SA 22s are nice guns.
Originally Posted by Clarkm
My BARs are not accurate,

This is a respectful ?

If/since your BARs aren't accurate....why is there more than 1 ?

I'm not prejudiced...... never owned a BAR. Curious.

Jerry
i only have 3
Two 338Wm and one 300wm
They went to the range once 11 years ago.

Range report 2008 - 12- 11, sections c, b, d, e, f, g, and h:

C) 300WM BAR 24" Type I made in 1969 in Belgium 2x7 Burris FF, sling, Limbsaver large pad unground 10.0 pounds as tested
168 gr BTHP Honady 168 gr moly 77 gr H4350, 3.34"
3167 fps [fouling shot with moly paste in bore]
0.7" 3 shot group at 50y

D) 338WM BAR [dark stock] Type I 24" made in Belgium assembled in Portugal in 1990, Vari II 2x7x32, Limbsaver large pad unground 9.25 pounds as tested
250 gr Nosler Gold Partion, moly 69 gr H4350, 3.34"
2645 fps
3.5" 3 shot group at 50y

E) 338WM BAR [dark stock] Type I 24" made in Belgium assembled in Portugal in 1990, Vari II 2x7x32, Limbsaver large pad unground 9.25 pounds as tested
2604 fps
0.97" 3 shot group at 50y

F) 338WM BAR [light stock] Type I 24" made in 1969 in Belgium, 4X Redfield TV eyepiece, sling, Limbsaver large pad unground 9.5 pounds as tested
2594 fps miss target
2578 miss target
2.0" 3 shot group at 50y that was 20" to the right, then corrected scope.

G) 338WM BAR [light stock] Type I 24" made in 1969 in Belgium, 4X Redfield TV eyepiece, sling, Limbsaver large pad unground 9.5 pounds as tested
XXXX too dark for chrono to trigger
2.0" 3 shot group that was 20" to the right, then corrected scope.

H) 300WM BAR 24" Type I made in 1969 in Belgium 2x7 Burris FF, sling, Limbsaver large pad unground 10.0 pounds as tested
168 gr BTHP Honady 168 gr moly 77 gr H4350, 3.34"
Chrono between bench and 50yard target, not 100 yard target.
2.0" 3 shot group at 100y

I shoot the Hornady Superformance 225 Grain SST’s in mine and It shoots better than I can shoot.
The reduction in recoil with my BAR being semi is nice when shooting the .338 Win Mag.
Thanks Mr. Clark

Jerry
Given their price point,they are easily the WORST schit going.

hint...................
Originally Posted by Big Stick

hint...................

Quien Sabe?

Custom Browning Micro-Medallion, 7mm-08

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GWB
I didn't realize after the FN and SAKO based Safari's that they made a rifle...…….. MB

hint...................

[Linked Image]

Browning Hell's Canyon Speed, 26 Nosler

[Linked Image]

My only shot was with him facing me. The bullet caught him at the withers. He dropped, did not even paddle. When I turned. him over his pecker was laying in the dirt under his body. The 142 gr. Nosler LR Accubond penetrated from the shoulders and literally knocked his dick in the dirt!

TFF,

GWB

hint...................

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Don't think one critter out of dozen or so I've killed with this Browning complained a bit about the Brand or the Cost!

ya!

GWB
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
I didn't realize after the FN and SAKO based Safari's that they made a rifle...…….. MB

Think so!

[Linked Image]

Brownimg High Wall Safari, 375 H&H

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Browning High Wall, 45-70

Leastwise, Browning is stamped on the Barrel

ya!

GWB
[Linked Image]

a bit of Carbon Fiber

[Linked Image]

Browning, 270 WSM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IIRC, 150 Gr. Bergers @ 200 are a little to frangible for my tastes,

ya!

GWB

[Linked Image]

Rattle Can Paint job on an A-Bolt in 300 Win. Mag.

My oldest has killed a pile o' stuff with this one

[Linked Image]

pre rattle-can days!

ya!

GWB
Recently had this one follow me home. Didn't cost much more than an RAR predator ........

[Linked Image]

Browning A-Bolt Medallion, 270 WSM.

[Linked Image]

Guess I'm getting old. Had it a month or so and been too busy perforating porkers and playin' with grandkids to even scope it and take it to the range, much less hunt.

Thinking about stripping off the polyurethane finish.

[Linked Image]

Some of the Brownings' have some sweet wood under that glass.

ya!

GWB
GDub
Who's knife you got there?
That's one of Rick Menefee's earlier efforts.

A Lacewood "Boner" in D2

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ya'

GWB
Geedub, I stand corrected ,mighty fine pics of your game and your food makes me hungry. MB
10/4

I miss-remember stuff more and more these days.

Sometimes my kids will ask me about something. Often I will reply, well I'm sure I used to know that but I must have forgotten.......

[Linked Image]

Speaking of memory lapse. I may have posted this one before. However I slept since this time yesterday so, Quien Sabe?..............

I didn’t make it to the gym today. That makes five years in a row.

I decided to stop calling the bathroom the “John” and renamed it the “Jim”. I feel so much better saying I went to the "gym" this morning.

Old age is coming at a really bad time.

When I was a child I thought “Nap Time” was a punishment. Now, as a grownup, it feels like a small vacation.

The biggest lie I tell myself is ”I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it."

I don’t have gray hair; I have "wisdom highlights"! I’m just very wise.

If God wanted me to touch my toes, He would’ve put them on my knees.

Last year I joined a support group for procrastinators. We haven’t met yet.

Why do I have to press one for English when you’re just going to transfer me to someone I can't understand anyway?

Of course I talk to myself. Sometimes I need expert advice.

At my age “Getting lucky" means walking into a room and remembering what I came in there for.

Actually I'm not complaining because I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 60 years later. I don’t have to go to school or work. I get an allowance every month. I have my own pad. I don’t have a curfew. I have a driver’s license and my own car. The people I hang around with are not scared of getting pregnant, and I don’t have acne. Life is great.

I have more friends I should send this to, but right now I can’t remember their names.

Now, I’m wondering: did I send this to you, or did you send it to me?

ya!

GWB
Do you know if Rick still make that one?
Wife would like one for a kitchen knife
And I wouldn't mind one for an
everything knife. I love lacewood.
Gee, cool stuff as always!!!
I do like to cook, and eat.

[Linked Image]

Ribs for smoking and a Dale Howe (Howe Mountain Knives) Santoku. Just have to add the rub.

[Linked Image]

done!

[Linked Image]

preppin' for bacon wrapped, Italian Dressing/Teriyaki maranaded chicken thighs, stuffed with pickled Jalepenos, purple onions and cilantro.

Dale Howe Santoku and a Ken Honeycutt "Dorado" boner.

[Linked Image]

Boudin and Jalepeno Cheese Aoudad/Pork smoked links

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB
[Linked Image]

Gene Ingram Lambs

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We eat like kings and drink like the homeless at "The Petting Zoo"

[Linked Image]

ya!

GWB
Awful lot of critters slain, stacked and cooked for having to shoot the "WORST schit going"...……………………......
@OP, Last time I wandered around Whittaker's, the one rifle I came back to 3 times was a Browning X-Bolt 2018 Shot Show Long Range Special. Left hand, adjustable laminate stock, chambered 6.5CM with a 1:7" twist, mid-weight SS fluted barrel. Have never owned a Browning. Never owned a 6.5CM. But that one was very tempting...
Originally Posted by Texczech
Do you know if Rick still make that one?
Wife would like one for a kitchen knife
And I wouldn't mind one for an
everything knife. I love lacewood.

From my experience many of Ricks earlier fixed blades were "one off".

[Linked Image]

For example, all of these are "Bose Pattern" but each one is just a bit different.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I do not believe these could be done today. Real ivory scales, and the inlay on the Parsons sheath is from the ear of the elephant that the Ivory came from. The knife on the right would be the closest to the same as the lacewood knife that I have seen of Rick's knives.

[Linked Image]

One will not see a ton of his knives with a hamon.

I do believe he is mainly doing "folders" these days. You might try contacting him on Instagram or Facebook.

Believe it or not, the two below are the only knives I've asked Rick to make, and it was two or three years on the folder and about 5 years on the Randall.

[Linked Image]

This repro Randall #1 Fighter in etched A2. IIRC, Bo Randall's grandson was there with Rick during part of the time it took to make this one.

and this Pacheco Folder in etched A2 with inlaid petrified walrus pecker "shield".

[Linked Image]

The rest, I was just fortunate to be in the right place at the right time.

ya!

GWB
Thanks GWB
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Awful lot of critters slain, stacked and cooked for having to shoot the "WORST schit going"...……………………......

Have also owned BL-22,

[Linked Image]

BA-22's and about a dozen High Walls and B-78's.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

can't remember whether this one was an early Browning or not. If so it must have been acquired before the acrlylic finishes. As you can see the firing mechanism needs to be replaced.

but what the hey?

ya!

GWB
Originally Posted by Yoder409

They're fine outside of Alaska. In AK they fall apart within a week apparently.
Originally Posted by geedubya
[quote=Texczech]Do you know if Rick still make [Linked Image][/URL]

I do not believe these could be done today. Real ivory scales, and the inlay on the Parsons sheath is from the ear of the elephant that the Ivory came from. The knife on the right would be the closest to the same as the lacewood knife that I have seen [Linked Image][/URL]

The rest, I was just fortunate to be in the right place at the right time.

ya!

GWB

Gee do you ever keep and tan any of the larger scotums. Looks like they would make good muzzle loader ball bags! 😀😉😊
Originally Posted by Texczech

Gee do you ever keep and tan any of the larger scotums. Looks like they would make good muzzle loader ball bags! 😀😉😊

[Linked Image]

This will be the first!

[Linked Image]

and depending, maybe not the last!

ya!

GWB
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

In 2014 I used a stock 1994 Browning 1885 7mmRM to shoot a mule buck and a buck antelope.
I usually build custom guns, but this one was already so nice there was little I could do for it.
I did shim under the forward scope base on the tapered octagon Japanese barrel.

Another year I used a Browning B78 in 25-06. The conversion of large threads in the stock for the sling to small Uncle Mike sling studs threads, was tricky.

One of the ones I let slip away.........

[Linked Image]

Took me a couple of weeks to assemble the brass, dies and some 300 gr. Hornady XTP's.

Loaded some rounds using the latest Hornady manual. Loaded 5 each in .5 grain increments starting 1.5 gr. below book max with both H422 and H110.

I'd say this rifle likes it hot, as it shot the best groups .1 gr over book max for both powders.

Groups shot at 100 yds. from bench rest. Leupold 2.5 x 8 vari X III scope. Chrono @ 10 feet from muzzle.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

29.5 gr and 30 gr. of H4227.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

30.5 gr, 31 gr. & 31.5 gr H110

ya!

GWB
[quote=geedubya

Have also owned BL-22,

[Linked Image]