Home
Posted By: Dogslife57 H.S. vs McMillian - 06/04/19
Considering replacing a stock on a bolt gun, do you favor one over the other? Anybody have both? Thanks for any input.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/04/19
McMillan offers a lot more options than H-S.

I have a lot of McMillan stocks, I particularly like the Hunter and Mountain Rifle styles, and maybe 5 H-S stocks that came on rifles that I bought and are good enough for the little that I use them.

Since stocks are the interface between the shooter and the rifle, they are a very individual thing, in that what one guy thinks is great can easily be an epic fail for another guy.

What make, model, style, and action length of rifle are you looking to restock?
Posted By: beretzs Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/04/19
I have a bunch of McMillans. It’s the only stock I’ll really go for since they can inlet just about any of their styles to the rifles I use and they will put whatever pad I want on the gun along with EDGE fills for the lightweight set ups. Never an issue and they’ve been great to work with.
Posted By: Dogslife57 Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/04/19
A ruger, maybe 2, a 358 that shoots so well I hesitate to change it and a 338 RCM that I may do first. Both have the plain ruger synthetic stocks.
Posted By: David_Walter Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/04/19
Since HS hired Lon Horiuchi the FBI sniper who killed unarmed Vicki Weaver who was holding her child at the time of the shooting at Ruby Ridge in 1992, I haven't purchased their products, or items using their products.

I'm old fashioned that way.
Posted By: Horseman Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/04/19
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Since HS hired Lon Horiuchi the FBI sniper who killed unarmed Vicki Weaver who was holding her child at the time of the shooting at Ruby Ridge in 1992, I haven't purchased their products, or items using their products.

I read a lot of people who go along with this nonsense. Guess what, I have German scopes even though they were not so nice in the 1940's. Lots of my neighbors drive Toyotas even though Japan bombed American soil. Get over it. HS Stocks and rifles are fine. Anti gunners would love for us to eat our own and create divisions in the sport.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/04/19
Originally Posted by Dogslife57
A ruger, maybe 2, a 358 that shoots so well I hesitate to change it and a 338 RCM that I may do first. Both have the plain ruger synthetic stocks.

I have a 3 rifle set of stainless Ruger Hawkeyes in 223, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 338 FED that I bedded in the McMillan Hunter style stocks so that they are as alike as I can make them. The McM stocks made good rifles better by improving the feel and balance.
Posted By: Dogslife57 Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/04/19
Yes I heard the McM is quite an improved feel compared to the ruger original ones. Good to know.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/04/19
I've had both, no complaints with either. I think McMillan's are overpriced though. Either will last 2 lifetimes.
Posted By: David_Walter Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/04/19
Originally Posted by Horseman

I read a lot of people who go along with this nonsense. Guess what, I have German scopes even though they were not so nice in the 1940's. Lots of my neighbors drive Toyotas even though Japan bombed American soil. Get over it. HS Stocks and rifles are fine. Anti gunners would love for us to eat our own and create divisions in the sport.

Think what you like. I think a company that hired someone who shot a woman holding her child, when the woman was no threat, doesn't share my values.

It wasn't combat, it wasn't the heat of the moment, it wasn't snap judgement under threat of return fire.

It was wrong.

What this has to do with "Anti gunners (who) would love for us to eat our own and create divisions in the sport." I haven't a clue.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/04/19
I've owned more McMillan's than HS's. As I am thinning the herd, I'm zeroing in on one McM, one HS, and one Pacific Research Rimrock.

For me, if the rifle is a heavier caliber, or kicker (like the .338), I tend toward the HS for the weight to mitigate recoil. For 270's and down, I like the ergos and reduced weight of the McEdge Hunter... Regardless of HS or McM, I generally pay the upcharge for a LimbSaver recoil pad... Except when I want a Red Decelerator !
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/04/19

Think what you like. I think a company that hired someone who shot a woman holding her child, when the woman was no threat, doesn't share my values.

It wasn't combat, it wasn't the heat of the moment, it wasn't snap judgement under threat of return fire.

It was wrong.

What this has to do with "Anti gunners (who) would love for us to eat our own and create divisions in the sport." I haven't a clue.

It was a big "suck up" to get govt contracts. Money over principle.

I have an HS SPL .240, but traded for it used. The OEM HS stock was an ugly club and weighed 42 oz. The Hunters Edge that replaced it is sleek and weighs 26 oz. No comparison.

DF
Posted By: boliep Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/04/19

No real comparison in those two. Go McMillan.
Posted By: 444Matt Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/05/19
McMillian for me.
Posted By: BWalker Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/05/19
H and S stocks suck. If budget is an issue go with a B and C. If not McMillan are great.
Posted By: Horseman Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/05/19

It was wrong.

My point about eating our own was meaning it's an American gun company and I'd rather not see any more of them struggling. Yes the Horiuchi thing was stupid of them but it's not worth writing off the whole company years later in my opinion. Obviously you're free to keep condemning them for a foolish marketing decision if that's your thing.

McMillan>HS>B&C
Posted By: Dogslife57 Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/05/19
Will go McMillian sometime before hunting season here.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/05/19
Mcmillan offers more stock styles then anyone especially HS. That is their strength , that said they are not the ultimate rifle stock.
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/05/19

It was wrong.

My point about eating our own was meaning it's an American gun company and I'd rather not see any more of them struggling. Yes the Horiuchi thing was stupid of them but it's not worth writing off the whole company years later in my opinion. Obviously you're free to keep condemning them for a foolish marketing decision if that's your thing.

McMillan>HS>B&C

I for one hold companies responsible for their marketing decisions. What Horiuchi did was nothing short of murder under cover of authority. HS chose money over righteousness and honor. In my book they deserve to be shunned.
Posted By: 308cal Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/05/19

You better order soon, if you want it for this year's hunting season. Depending on style, it could be several months wait to get one. I waited 9 months for my last one.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/05/19
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

I for one hold companies responsible for their marketing decisions. What Horiuchi did was nothing short of murder under cover of authority. HS chose money over righteousness and honor. In my book they deserve to be shunned.

That's my take.

DF
Originally Posted by 308cal

You better order soon, if you want it for this year's hunting season. Depending on style, it could be several months wait to get one. I waited 9 months for my last one.

Check with Rick here at the Fire store. Sometimes he can facilitate McM orders, has some stroke with those guys.

DF
Posted By: Dogslife57 Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/05/19
Ok thanks, yeah the way the time goes by it's right around the corner. We're buying next years hunting licenses here in a couple weeks, our license year ends in June
Posted By: T_O_M Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/05/19
Considering replacing a stock on a bolt gun, do you favor one over the other? Anybody have both? Thanks for any input.

Depends on the purpose. HS stocks I've owned were heavy. That's great on a varmint / target gun. My only McMillan is a Hunters Edge ... a very very light stock. I like them on a hunting rifle with a sporter weight barrel.

Tom
Originally Posted by T_O_M

Depends on the purpose. HS stocks I've owned were heavy. That's great on a varmint / target gun. My only McMillan is a Hunters Edge ... a very very light stock. I like them on a hunting rifle with a sporter weight barrel.

Tom

+1

DF
Posted By: Horseman Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/06/19
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

That's my take.

DF

Hope you guys don't own any products made in Germany or Japan. They did some bad stuff too I think.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/06/19

That's my take.

DF

Hope you guys don't own any products made in Germany or Japan. They did some bad stuff too I think.

My relatives who fought in those theaters shunned them both.

But they are all dead and gone, a lot of that stuff forgotten.

This is still fresh. I haven’t forgotten.

DF
Posted By: Horseman Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/06/19

That's my take.

DF

DF

Don't forget the other...it's much more significant.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/06/19
HS is an easy pass,from all angles and for alotta reasons. There's nothing redeeming in their handles and they like to prove same.

Hint...………………..
Posted By: 222ND Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/06/19
I’ve got a couple of Hs longaction 700’s for sale @ 275 each and that is shipped. Sporter and a double palmswell heavy barrel.
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/06/19

That's my take.

DF

DF

Don't forget the other...it's much more significant.

Horseman -

The instigators of the NAZI Germany and the Japanese empire atrocities are dead and gone with very few if any exceptions. Those countries today are very different than back then. I don't hold the current generations of their populations responsible for those atrocities any more than I hold you responsible for enslaving people from Africa.

To my knowledge, Lon Horiuchi is still with us. I don't know if the people running H.S. back in 2008 are still doing so, but their response in 2008 was far short of an apology, just an explanation that they "did not intend to offend anyone or create any type of controversy".

Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/06/19
Coyote Hunter,

Bureaucracies like the FBI, tend to promote their problems. Firing Horiuchi would admit management made a mistake. Promotions tend to purge the narrative.

And, don't ya know, the FBI pawned ole Lon off on their contractor, HS, as their rep. HS had two choices, embrace Lon, in essence going along, or throwing him out in the street and not getting any more lucrative govt. conracts. Bureaucracies work like that. Contractors respond like that.

But, it didn't go unnoticed.

HS made a choice. I make a choice everytime I buy a product.

My HS SPL was traded for, so HS had alraedy made their profit. Actually they make good stuff. Barrels are made in house, cut rifling like Brux and Krieger, and they shoot about as well. Actions are 700 clones with detach mag. Even their triggers are made in house, steel upgrade of a 700 trigger with cut outs to see the sear. This .240 Wby will shoot 100 gr. NPT's half MOA at 400 yds. Once I fitted a Hunters Edge, it became a keeper.

I don't know if Lon was shooting an HS rifle at that fateful event.. It evidently was shooting "minute of a housewife", accurate enough to miss the baby she was holding. Still makes me mad thinking about it.

So, I'll never buy anything HS where they make a profit.

Just me. I don't forget that easily. Maybe in 40-50 years.... smile

By then, I surely will have forgotten... cool

DF
Posted By: powdr Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/07/19
I, like David am old fashioned and believe he has a viable point. I don't own either stock as I have found Borden, Brown and Bansner to all be great stocks that fit me well and are light enough for my use. I'm not part of the "in crowd" that feels you're not a hunter unless you own a McMillan. powdr
Posted By: Big Stick Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/07/19
Good stuff sells itself and HS has Len. Congratulations?!?

Hint............
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/07/19
They got him; they can keep him.

FBI got caught on that one, and instead of changing, they circled the wagons and upped their game, shoving ole Lon down everyone's throats. HS took the bait.

BTW, IIRC, they did pay $3 mil to Randy Weaver for their misdeeds.

Hope we don't see that again. But, it IS the FBI, so who knows... Current goings on in Washington don't foster confidence.

DF
Posted By: TBS Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/07/19
Lets not forget the people who sent the FBI in the first place -------- Janet Reno and Bill Clinton's war on Americans.
Posted By: smitty_bs Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/07/19
Clinton became President in January of 1993; the Ruby Ridge episode was August of 1992.
Facts are rather unsettling to Window Lickers.

Hint................(grin)
Posted By: TBS Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/07/19
My bad, Waco not Ruby Ridge.
Originally Posted by TBS
My bad, Waco not Ruby Ridge.

Even worse.

DF
Posted By: SDHNTR Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/07/19
McMillan makes a wonderful stock, but their leadtime is absolutely outrageous and a dealbreaker, in my opinion. Nine months to deliver a simple product? That’s absurd! If I ran my business on the same premise, I’d be out of work in under a year. If they have that much of a backlog, they need to hire more help. Until they get their act together, which will probably never happen, they do not have a customer in me. Of course, the same could also be said for half of the companies in the gun/hunting industry too I suppose. The lack of business acumen is shocking.
Arrived yesterday...less than 5 months from order being submitted.

[Linked Image]

In fairness however,I've barely ordered 60+ of them,less a single bobble.

Hint.............
That looks sorta like the famous Ingwe “flame” stock.

It is pretty.

DF
It took her a loonnnnggggggggg fhuqking time to catch on. Congratulations?!?

Bless her heart.

Hint...............

[Linked Image]
Posted By: dale06 Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/08/19
I have several HS and close to 10 mcmillans.
Both are quality stocks.
I like the Sako hunter and mcmillan hunter style so that’s what I’ll buy on my next build.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/08/19
"Close to 10".

Fhuqking HILARIOUS!

Bless your heart...you single digit midget!

Hint............
Posted By: Horseman Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/09/19
Originally Posted by Big Stick
"Close to 10".

Fhuqking HILARIOUS!

Hint............

Killing us with irony??!
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/09/19
E
"Close to 10".

Fhuqking HILARIOUS!

Hint............

Killing us with irony??!

This will probably fly right over his head!
Posted By: Horseman Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/10/19
Lol!!!! Yup!!
Posted By: Big Stick Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/12/19
It got quiet.

LAUGHING!...............
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/12/19
Uber
Luckily for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute". Congratulations?!?

Bless your heart for trying though.

Uber +P+.

Hint...............

[Linked Image]
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/12/19
UBEr duper

Youre the slumlord of Alaska.
AlwaysInside,

Pardon my simply shooting it all and then some...while the only fhuqking thing you "shoot" is your mouth and Imagination. Congratulations?!?

Hint....................
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/13/19
AlwaysInside,

Pardon my simply shooting it all and then some...while the only fhuqking thing you "shoot" is your mouth and Imagination. Congratulations?!?

Hint....................

Yes ma’am
Posted By: Big Stick Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/13/19
AlwaysInside,

Luckily for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute". Congratulations?!?

Uber +P+.

Hint...............

[Linked Image]
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/13/19
Yawn
Posted By: Coyote_Hunter Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/13/19
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
McMillan makes a wonderful stock, but their leadtime is absolutely outrageous and a dealbreaker, in my opinion. Nine months to deliver a simple product? That’s absurd! If I ran my business on the same premise, I’d be out of work in under a year. If they have that much of a backlog, they need to hire more help. Until they get their act together, which will probably never happen, they do not have a customer in me. Of course, the same could also be said for half of the companies in the gun/hunting industry too I suppose. The lack of business acumen is shocking.

While you may not be willing to wait 9 months, that lead time exists for various reasons. Your assumption that it is due to a lack of business acumen is just that - an assumption, and quite possibly a false one.
Posted By: Azshooter Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/13/19
Dogslife57,

I like McMillan. There was a fantastic McMillan which is out of production, the Ultralight. I managed to find two over the years after they were discontinued. Who knows you might be lucky and find one. My other Ruger has a McMillan hunter stock.

This rifle just happens to be chambered in 338 RCM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: beretzs Re: H.S. vs McMillian - 06/13/19

While you may not be willing to wait 9 months, that lead time exists for various reasons. Your assumption that it is due to a lack of business acumen is just that - an assumption, and quite possibly a false one.

They might say 9 months but I’ve been receiving them all in less than 3 for the most part lately. I just ordered a couple EDGEs for some M70’s. I’ll have to look but I believe it was April when I placed the order and they should be delivered on Friday.

Just looked, received confirmation 4/16 and they will be on the door 6/14.. No complaints and worth the wait.

My last,received last week...was 5 months.

McMillan is without peer,if only as per always.

Hint...............
I was always gonna try a not so B&W one.

Hint................

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire