Home
Posted By: John_Boy Opinions on Tikka T3x Rifles - 07/30/19
I have an opportunity to trade for a Tikka T3x rifle. I understand that they are considered entry level rifles. Competition for the Savage line and the Ruger American.
How good are they? Positives / Negatives......
Are you new here?
7500 posts. I think I see a flasher in front of that spoon ...
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Are you new here?

Oh boy. Now hes got you riled up.
Are you new here?

Tell him how good they are, or better yet show him some targets!
Haha laugh
No, not new, just never owned one.
I don't normally shoot rifles, but when I do I prefer Mauser.....
JMHO - YMMV

I have owned six or seven Tikkas, including one that I am selling right now.

I think the Tikka is nicer than the Savage and RAR regarding design, fit and finish, as indicated by the price.

Some rave about the Tikka accuracy, but I have not experienced anything extraordinary in this regard. And many RAR and Savage owners report accuracy similar results to the Tikka.

The Tikka twists and barrel lengths often don't make sense. And the 30-06 length action benefits the short-action rounds, but is often too short for long-action rounds that could benefit from a 375 length action with proper magazine, twist, and throat.

"Entry level" is a relative term.....if the tikka is your entry level rifle what's next...Steyr?...Sako?...Blaser? I make the mistake of associating "entry level" with ground level price and related quality. Tikka machining and accuracy blows that theory out of the water.
Are you new here?

Hee, hee....sorry but the start of this thread reminds me of a joke about a white gerbil at a brown gerbil get together...
I hear you. I've got a Savage that shoots great groups. But, then again so have some of my Encores. Neither are much for looks. I've painted several T3 stocks and have been impressed with them compared to other versions of Tupperware stocks. I'm looking at one of their 22-250 rifles with a 1:8 twist. Might be a good option to an Encore barrel from MGM...
I've never been able to appreciate the savage aesthetic. I see a lot of encores kill deer on the outdoor channel. It's highly unlikely at this point but if I ever acquire a single shot rifle, its gonna be a ruger #1 B. I've always loved the looks of that gun.
I have a ruger Hawkeye left hand 30-06. I own several ruger handguns.....I've thrown a lot of financial support to the ruger family, they build solid products. The ruger American has never tempted me in any way.....if I'm down to a decision between the American and a tikka, tikka wins all day long.......not to ruffle savage feathers out there but a similar scenario with savage and tikka would end the same way...
Posted By: ingwe Re: Opinions on Tikka T3x Rifles - 07/30/19
Originally Posted by John_Boy
I hear you. I've got a Savage that shoots great groups. But, then again so have some of my Encores. Neither are much for looks. I've painted several T3 stocks and have been impressed with them compared to other versions of Tupperware stocks. I'm looking at one of their 22-250 rifles with a 1:8 twist...

I would jump on it with both feet and never look back...
I've had several Ruger 1 rifles. I got tired of having to crawl the stock to use the scope.
The Encore is on as soon as it hits the shoulder. Almost like a good shotgun.
Tikkas suck. Everyone knows that.
No, not new, just never owned one.
I don't normally shoot rifles, but when I do I prefer Mauser.....

Nothing wrong with a good mauser or pre 64 model 70 for that matter..

Well, since you put it that way..
I have an opportunity to trade for a Tikka T3x rifle. I understand that they are considered entry level rifles. Competition for the Savage line and the Ruger American.

Really? You been a member of the fire since 2009 with 7500 posts and want to know if Tikka rifles are any good? Come on man! 😁😁😁.....Hb

Exactly! Everyone knows Barrett stomps them soundly in every way. I'd recommend folks selling their Tikkas to me for penny's on the dollar to get out from under them. 😁
So, these 3 brown gerbils are hanging out, just shooting the breeze, and this one white gerbil walks up.....

And the first brown gerbil checks him out and says...

Tikka suck
If comparing fit, finish and feel of Tikka to Ruger American and Savage, the Tikka is the winner and it isn't even a contest. The Savage will feel downright clunky to the Tikka. On the accuracy front, Tikka is as accurate as a Savage. Savage has no flies on it in the accuracy department. Go Tikka; You won't be disappointed.
Originally Posted by devnull
If comparing fit, finish and feel of Tikka to Ruger American and Savage, the Tikka is the winner and it isn't even a contest. The Savage will feel downright clunky to the Tikka. On the accuracy front, Tikka is as accurate as a Savage. Savage has no flies on it in the accuracy department. Go Tikka; You won't be disappointed.

Good post. And more than likely the Tikka will function better than the Savage right out of the box too. Also, some of the newer Savage rifles's I've been seeing lately have some quirks. Their actions aren't as smooth (running the bolt feels gritty) and their new bottom bolt release design sucks.. I have seen quality go downhill in the last year or so, maybe because they knew they were selling out..
Originally Posted by SCgman1
So, these 3 brown gerbils are hanging out, just shooting the breeze, and this one white gerbil walks up.....

And the first brown gerbil checks him out and says...

Tikka suck

Little Stick does kinda look like a gerbil....
I'd seen articles by various scribes, but hadn't tracked any conversations here.
I wanted the straight story from the owners of the rifle.
"Trust , but verify." R.R.
Actually, I spend way too much time in the classifieds. Trying to get out more....
I'd seen articles by various scribes, but hadn't tracked any conversations here.
Actually, I spend way too much time in the classifieds. Trying to get out more....

If being in the classifieds all the time means hiding under a rock, then yeah... There are tons of threads here on Tikka rifles.. To a lot of guys here, your thread seems like you were dangling some cheese. I'll bite though. If you are not aware, Tikka upgraded their rifles some time back with the T3X model. It has a better (steel vs aluminum) recoil lug (however, it's still detachable and cheesy and can still loosen up over time and cause accuracy issues):
Here's a newer steel one that was wiggling around back and forth and causing some random flyers:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Tikka's are good rifles, but they are not "perfect" right out of the box, like a lot of guys around here think. One of the reasons I glass bed them and secure that tacky recoil lug system better.... Here are some before groups of that rifle that only had "160 rounds down the tube":
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Now after bedding:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

(continuted), alloy bolt shroud vs. plastic, lengthened ejection port, and better recoil pad.
Ive got one in a T3 Superlight .223 heading to the range with it today, plinking steel out to 400 yards...you might say I like it....
Twist rate on the 223???
Posted By: tomk Re: Opinions on Tikka T3x Rifles - 07/30/19
Ingwe: so very hostile, man....

John Boy--try a scope with a long mounting latitude e.g. something akin to the 3-9x40 Conquest, and yer #1 issue will go away.
Something else that the Tikka has that none of the other rifles in the same price category as them (Remington, Browning, Savage, Ruger, etc.) has is a proper trigger. I am not a fan of the blades on the Savage and Ruger rifles. Remington and Browning have both let lawyers decide that their triggers should suck. I know quite a few people, including myself who are building, or have built custom guns on Tikka actions, and every one of us has left the trigger alone.

In my humble opinion, Tikkas are the only rifles out there right now that don't need at least $200 in upgrades to make them "right". I know some complain about the "plastic" magazines, but I know from experience that they are quite durable and the method of capture is much better than Savage or Ruger. As was pointed out above, $10 of JB Weld and a little time to bed the recoil lug area of the action is all you really need to do.
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR
Something else that the Tikka has that none of the other rifles in the same price category as them (Remington, Browning, Savage, Ruger, etc.) has is a proper trigger. I am not a fan of the blades on the Savage and Ruger rifles. Remington and Browning have both let lawyers decide that their triggers should suck. I know quite a few people, including myself who are building, or have built custom guns on Tikka actions, and every one of us has left the trigger alone.

In my humble opinion, Tikkas are the only rifles out there right now that don't need at least $200 in upgrades to make them "right". I know some complain about the "plastic" magazines, but I know from experience that they are quite durable and the method of capture is much better than Savage or Ruger. As was pointed out above, $10 of JB Weld and a little time to bed the recoil lug area of the action is all you really need to do.

This. I've only owned two, but both were GTG out of the box. Scope, zero, and hunt.

Okie John
Come on man, this is the Fire! If you don't own a Tikka in 6.5 Creedmoor there is something really wrong with you! BTW NEVER, NEVER, NEVER EVER mount a Leupold on a Tikka!
Originally Posted by ingwe
Ive got one in a T3 Superlight .223 heading to the range with it today, plinking steel out to 400 yards...you might say I like it....

What’s your load?

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...-eldm-advice-in-a-1-8-tikka#Post13634027

P
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR
Something else that the Tikka has....is a proper trigger.

In my humble opinion, Tikkas are the only rifles out there right now that don't need at least $200 in upgrades to make them "right"...

Sorry for the heavy edit but this right here is why I bought my three. Just take them out of the box, turn the trigger screw a bit and go shooting. Have had two Ruger Americans and while they are certainly usable and accurate rifles, and especially so at their price point, for another 2-3 hundred dollars I think you definitely get a nicer rifle in the Tikka.

And lest the unwashed question my bona fides opinionwise, one is a .22-250 with 8" twist and another is a 6.5 Creedmoor, neither of which wears a Leupold... wink
Posted By: tzone Re: Opinions on Tikka T3x Rifles - 07/30/19
Junk stock, worse rings, very smooth action, one length action, OK magazine. Most shoot MOA, some do not without work. Since they've raise the price, IMO, they're a non starter for me.

Same as any other rifle. lol It depends on how they feel in your hands.
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
JMHO - YMMV

I have owned six or seven Tikkas, including one that I am selling right now.

I think the Tikka is nicer than the Savage and RAR regarding design, fit and finish, as indicated by the price.

Some rave about the Tikka accuracy, but I have not experienced anything extraordinary in this regard. And many RAR and Savage owners report accuracy similar results to the Tikka.

The Tikka twists and barrel lengths often don't make sense. And the 30-06 length action benefits the short-action rounds, but is often too short for long-action rounds that could benefit from a 375 length action with proper magazine, twist, and throat.

This mirrors my experience with them.

Disagree on the fit. I'll take the ruger 100 times out of 100.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

If being in the classifieds all the time means hiding under a rock, then yeah... There are tons of threads here on Tikka rifles.. To a lot of guys here, your thread seems like you were dangling some cheese. I'll bite though. If you are not aware, Tikka upgraded their rifles some time back with the T3X model. It has a better (steel vs aluminum) recoil lug (however, it's still detachable and cheesy and can still loosen up over time and cause accuracy issues):
Here's a newer steel one that was wiggling around back and forth and causing some random flyers:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Tikka's are good rifles, but they are not "perfect" right out of the box, like a lot of guys around here think. One of the reasons I glass bed them and secure that tacky recoil lug system better.... Here are some before groups of that rifle that only had "160 rounds down the tube":
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Now after bedding:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

(continuted), alloy bolt shroud vs. plastic, lengthened ejection port, and better recoil pad.

Although I have no problems with my T3X rifles, I do have an older T3 youth that I need to replace the recoil lug and bed. Any suggestions on an aftermarket lug that is better or all about the same. I did notice the Lumley aftermarket performance parts.
Originally Posted by Switch
Come on man, this is the Fire! If you don't own a Tikka in 6.5 Creedmoor there is something really wrong with you! BTW NEVER, NEVER, NEVER EVER mount a Leupold on a Tikka!

Uh-oh! I have three Tikkas and they all have Leupolds!

What’s your load?

P

27.6 grains CFE223 and a 55 gr. NBT

OR 24.0 gr TAC with same bullet...

What’s your load?

P

27.6 grains CFE223 and a 55 gr. NBT

OR 24.0 gr TAC with same bullet...

Try mine if you can load long. It’s great.

P
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Originally Posted by Switch

Uh-oh! I have three Tikkas and they all have Leupolds!

You’re screwed!
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
7500 posts. I think I see a flasher in front of that spoon ...

I’ve been using pink wiggle hoochies behind a triangle flasher this year. Great results.

P
https://www.sportsmans.com/fishing-...2k6Te4wIVAqvsCh1DhwU0EAQYASABEgJnyPD_BwE

This guy? Never ran one. Might have to give it a go ...
I just buy the bills and make my own. The action is fantastic and I don’t need a dodger.
Originally Posted by Remington280
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Now after bedding:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Although I have no problems with my T3X rifles, I do have an older T3 youth that I need to replace the recoil lug and bed. Any suggestions on an aftermarket lug that is better or all about the same. I did notice the Lumley aftermarket performance parts.

DOes Lumley still make a titanium lug? I bought one a few years ago, very nice and reasonably priced.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
https://www.sportsmans.com/fishing-...2k6Te4wIVAqvsCh1DhwU0EAQYASABEgJnyPD_BwE

This guy? Never ran one. Might have to give it a go ...

I just buy the bills and make my own. The action is fantastic and I don’t need a dodger.

any of you boys want to send me one to try on Lake O....shoot me a pm.

OP, did you mention what you are potentially trading for the Tikka?
https://www.mackslure.com/index.php?ref=367&name=wiggle-hoochie™-bills
1.5 or 2.25 size for coho?? Might need to try one next week at Buoy 10:) Thanks for the tip Pharm - much appreciated!
So in my Tikka T3 research I find out they the bolt shroud is plastic, or steel lined plastic.
Gotta be a price point thing. Exactly how much plastic of the plastic has metal replacements available?
It looks like wood and fiberglass stocks are available.
It appears that by the time I bring it up to at least Remington standards I might as well buy something else....
Remington standards....funny...
Ok, I haven't kept up with Remington etc...
Let's go Mauser standards......
Or, Sako / Tikka first cuz.... Howa....
The Remington rifles i have seen lately aren't bad, they function fine and have been very accurate, they are certainly not as bad as some let on, If you believed everything you read about Remington rifles on this site you would be afraid to shoot one as it most likely would blow up in your face 😁.....Hb
So in my Tikka T3 research I find out they the bolt shroud is plastic, or steel lined plastic.
Gotta be a price point thing. Exactly how much plastic of the plastic has metal replacements available?
It appears that by the time I bring it up to at least Remington standards I might as well buy something else....

They dont call them "Plastikka's" for nothin....I always replaced the bottom plastic with machined aluminum metal, replaced the bolt shroud with stainless steel and swapped out the bolt stop with a heavy duty stainless steel job from Mountain Tactical.....These three upgrades will run you in the $200 range but IMO are well worth it 👍.......Hb
That's my issue with corporation price point.
Just build it right the first time.....
If they did that it would increase the cost to me $50, not $200

Agreed 👍......Hb

Or, the "issues" presented are not really issues at all, so save the $200 and just go shoot.
Originally Posted by David_Walter

Or, the "issues" presented are not really issues at all, so save the $200 and just go shoot.

It depends on how you feel about plastic rifle parts, the plastic parts work and if your OK with them you will be fine but I hate plastic rifle parts so its worth the extra money for Me to get rid of them .....Hb
It matters to me as I despise plastic whether on cars, or firearms. Cheap is cheap. Steel, wood and leather.
Now as to reality. It's the way the market driven companies produce their wares. So be it. That's why I prefer Mausers, '55 Ford trucks and yes, my old ugly yellow Jeep that still has a manual switch for the headlights..
Adding metal parts to replace the functional synthetic parts on a Tikka is like replacing the rims on your car with aftermarket ones, it may make you feel better but it doesn't add anything to the functionality. Shoot it as is and spend the "bling" money on ammo.

drover
It matters to me as I despise plastic whether on cars, or firearms. Cheap is cheap. Steel, wood and leather.
Now as to reality. It's the way the market driven companies produce their wares. So be it. That's why I prefer Mausers, '55 Ford trucks and yes, my old ugly yellow Jeep that still has a manual switch for the headlights..

How about you tell me where the cheap 8 twist 22/250 is,and you won't have to stress over it anymore. You ask for opinions then try to educate us about the subject matter. Now where is this gem of a 22/250?
I've been shooting Tikkas for over 20 years, going back to the Tikka 695 Whitetail. I've never had one break down, no parts broke, nothing, nada. You can look all you want, and criticize all you like, but you'll never find a total package/value for the buck as a Tikka. I've killed hundreds of animals with them, and they all (have/had 6) shoot lights out without any fuss, plastic and all.
The bolt shroud on the T3 was plastic, but on the T3x they went to metal.
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
The bolt shroud on the T3 was plastic, but on the T3x they went to metal.

Yes they did, an upgrade that was sorely needed 👍......Hb
There’s a big difference between want and need.

If you want to swap out the parts, have at it.

You don’t need to, however. None of your swap outs affect function.

Including the plastic bolt shroud.

P
My groups shrank considerably when I added the metal bolt shroud.
There’s a big difference between want and need.

If you want to swap out the parts, have at it.

You don’t need to, however. None of your swap outs affect function.

Including the plastic bolt shroud.

P
I agree on everything but the plastic shroud,I think Tikka upgraded it on the T3X for a reason, I never had a cracked plastic shroud Myself but a buddy had one crack on one of his T3's a few years back....Beretta would not send him a new one free of charge either, he ordered a new machined aluminum shroud from Glades Armoury for $35 👍......Hb
Posted By: Brad Re: Opinions on Tikka T3x Rifles - 08/01/19
The Tikka T3 is a Glock-Rifle... that’s not a condemnation, just an observation. Personally, I can’t stomach them. But if you can they’re a perfectly serviceable rifle, capable of better accuracy than most over the counter rifles.
Pictures to be posted if trade goes through.....
This might be pertinent.

Tikkas are all I buy these days. I have a bunch of them. My brother saw what I was doing with them and he bought a bunch of them, too. The best ones we gave to our dad, then bought more.

Except for my two rimfires, they’re all T3, not T3x. And I reload for all of them. I’d post targets but they’ve been seen too often. I can’t abide teasing. Too delicate.

P
It does sound as though you have a treatable addition to Tikka's. I want this one since its the easiest and probably the least expensive way to a fast twist 22-250. If I'm able to get it three first thing I'll do is paint the stock. If she shoots as good as y'all say then a new stock and such might be in order.
Originally Posted by Brad
The Tikka T3 is a Glock-Rifle... that’s not a condemnation, just an observation. Personally, I can’t stomach them. But if you can they’re a perfectly serviceable rifle, capable of better accuracy than most over the counter rifles.

I think Brad hit the nail on the head here when he said Tikka's are the Glock of rifles, this is not a desparaging remark toward Tikka rifles, they are perfectly serviceable rifles that shoot as good or better than most bolt action rifles.....I like to keep a T3x .300 Win in My safe for hunting in wet weather, I have killed several nice bucks with it 👍......Hb
I have four of the Finnish Glocks and like them quite alot. I shoot the tar out of the 6.5 CM T3X SS Lite and the 22-250. My only real upgrade was a pair of EDGE Sako Classics for those two. I wanted a little long LOP and the Sako Classic pattern fits me real well. I have a T3X Superlite and a Youth T3X 7-08. All of them have shot pretty danged easily for me. The factory plastic stock are just fine and plenty stiff for great shooting. I am actually a big M70 sorta fella, but the Tikka's are good rifles and so far I haven't been able to make one give up. I have Sportsmatch Rings on the 22-250 and 6.5 with SS SWFA 6's on them both.
I have 5 Tikka's , all are shooters. I've upgraded the stocks on some, installed lighter trigger springs, installed metal trigger guards and bought M plus magazines for the short action calibers. I would consider myself just an average reloader, more a hobbyist. I load for all 5 Tikka's , getting some pretty good accuracy with little load work. If they shoot 1/2" groups I'm thrilled. My 2 6.5 CM rifles shoot what I consider especially good and plenty accurate for my hunting area 500 yds max.
Not sure what rifle I would even consider at this price range other than a Tikka.

[Linked Image]
300 yd group 140 gr BT

[Linked Image]
300 yd group 120 BT

Both 1" or under.
Posted By: jwall Re: Opinions on Tikka T3x Rifles - 08/01/19
Originally Posted by Remington280

Not sure what rifle I would even consider at this price range other than a Tikka.

My answer to that is NONE .

I bought my first Tikka T3 Lite SS in 2003 -> still have and hunt it.

Last year I bought a Tikka T3X Lite SS --> hunted and killed WT with it. NO changes, NO upgrades, No hassles, NO muss, NO fuss.
NO competition AFAIC.

[Linked Image]

Jerry

You buy a T3x which has a metal shroud, steel lug . Remington Standards you kid right?
Tikkas chit.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
More Tikka chit.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
And.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Since 2006 I've had 13 assorted T3s from 22/250 to 338 Win mag. Never a problem. Nuttin. All were good shooters with my hamdloads. The worst was a 30/06. It was MOA. The rest were half that or better. I can't say that I have had that much success with any other brand of big game rifle. With so little effort.

Suminabitches at photobucket stole my best pics.
Originally Posted by Otter6
Since 2006 I've had 13 assorted T3s from 22/250 to 338 Win mag. Never a problem. Nuttin. All were good shooters with my hamdloads. The worst was a 30/06. It was MOA. The rest were half that or better. I can't say that I have had that much success with any other brand of big game rifle. With so little effort.

Suminabitches at photobucket stole my best pics.

Have you ever used Imgur instead of photobucket? Try it out.
😎 I'll do that.

If you can get past how goddam hideous the things are and the fact that in the unlikely event you need customer service it will likely suck, then by all means forgo offerings from companies that support your right to keep and bear arms. Chances are you will like it.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

If you can get past how goddam hideous the things are and the fact that in the unlikely event you need customer service it will likely suck, then by all means forgo offerings from companies that support your right to keep and bear arms. Chances are you will like it.

Paul, have you had some bad experiences with them? We have sent back two Sako's and had them checked over. We had a few week turnaround on each gun. Sample of two, but I was wondering how your experience was.
Those are some outstanding groups. It's stuff like that that's so impressive about the rifle.
That one painted stock sure looks familiar....
That may be my color choice if I am able to trade for the rifle. Either that, or black and silver.
The plastic bolt shroud cracked on my dads 15yr old tikka (he can break an anvil with a rubber mallet). I called Berretta and they sent a replacement for free in just a few days. Can’t ask for much better customer service than that.
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Paul, have you had some bad experiences with them? We have sent back two Sako's and had them checked over. We had a few week turnaround on each gun. Sample of two, but I was wondering how your experience was.

Maybe things are turning around for the Beretta group. It took me a long time and a lot of frustration to get a new recoil pad for my Beretta shotgun. I have read of quite a few accounts of non-response or poor response from Tikka. It may have been 'fire member Redneck here who had serious problems getting parts. It was one of our resident 'smiths.
I am switching from Remington 700 to Tikka.

What are Remington standards for me?

1. Replace the barrel with a stainless steel barrel. I have gone to a standard commercial chambering as a tight chamber throated to match a specific bullet has only led to frustration.
2. Replace the stock with a McMillan Edge stock to my LOP although some have had McMillan Remington Classic stocks at one time.
3. Replace the factory firing pin assembly with a Gre-Tan assembly
4. Replace the factory bottom metal with Williams steel bottom metal
5. Replace the factory trigger with a Jewell trigger

There is not much left of the original rifle. At the end of this journey, I still think wistfully of the Remington 700 LTRs I had that shot .308 165 grain Ballistic Tips consistently within .75 inches for 5 shot groups with the only change being the older Williams bottom metal. I sold them off to start on this journey.

I bought two Tikka T3x Lite's in .308 Winchester, one blued and one stainless, to shoot up some reloads. Fussing with them, I did not get the level of accuracy others enjoy. The barrel heated up quickly. I could seat bullets out no further with the magazines then I could with the Remingtons. The stock is just too long a LOP and did not fit me. What to do?

Solution 1: Sell the stainless steel T3X Lite and buy a stainless steel T3x CTR. Replace the factory stock with a GRS Berserk. Start shooting sub-MOA groups right away. Life is good. Enjoy it. I liked this solution so much I did it twice with another CTR and stock.

Solution 2: This is more involved but does not yet approach what I was putting into the Remingtons. Replace the factory barrel on the blued T3X Lite with a Solid Accuracy stainless steel varmint contour barrel (being done now). Replace the factory stock with a GRS Berserk for the CTR (have the stock on hand). Install Greyboe DBM in the stock so I can use AICS pattern magazines (DBM is on its way in a brown truck). When this is assembled, I expect to enjoy a very accurate rifle.

I am keeping one Remington. It shoots Hornady .308 180 grain round noses well enough to go hunt deer on occasion.

GrimJim (not quite as grim now)
Just an excuse to buy more rifles.....
Feed the addiction.... Sounds like a good deal to me.....
Originally Posted by GrimJim

1. Replace the barrel with a stainless steel barrel. I have gone to a standard commercial chambering as a tight chamber throated to match a specific bullet has only led to frustration.
2. Replace the stock with a McMillan Edge stock to my LOP although some have had McMillan Remington Classic stocks at one time.

There is not much left of the original rifle. At the end of this journey, I still think wistfully of the Remington 700 LTRs I had that shot .308 165 grain Ballistic Tips consistently within .75 inches for 5 shot groups with the only change being the older Williams bottom metal. I sold them off to start on this journey.

I bought two Tikka T3x Lite's in .308 Winchester, one blued and one stainless, to shoot up some reloads. Fussing with them, I did not get the level of accuracy others enjoy. The barrel heated up quickly. I could seat bullets out no further with the magazines then I could with the Remingtons. The stock is just too long a LOP and did not fit me. What to do?

Solution 1: Sell the stainless steel T3X Lite and buy a stainless steel T3x CTR. Replace the factory stock with a GRS Berserk. Start shooting sub-MOA groups right away. Life is good. Enjoy it. I liked this solution so much I did it twice with another CTR and stock.

Solution 2: This is more involved but does not yet approach what I was putting into the Remingtons. Replace the factory barrel on the blued T3X Lite with a Solid Accuracy stainless steel varmint contour barrel (being done now). Replace the factory stock with a GRS Berserk for the CTR (have the stock on hand). Install Greyboe DBM in the stock so I can use AICS pattern magazines (DBM is on its way in a brown truck). When this is assembled, I expect to enjoy a very accurate rifle.

I am keeping one Remington. It shoots Hornady .308 180 grain round noses well enough to go hunt deer on occasion.

GrimJim (not quite as grim now)

Tikkas generally dont need a custom barrel or stock to get them to shoot very well. They do, however, need some work to get them shooting 100% consistently, if you shoot more than 3 to 5 shots per group. I shoot a minumum of 10 and 20 shots per group for score, hence the reason im always stressing 10 shot groups. Generally if you are content with shooting 3 shot groups, most tikka's will shoot sub moa to moa groups. Probably 9 times out of 10.
I tend not to shoot the big game rifles more than once, so 5-10 shot groups just waste components. I’ll do 3 shot strings when I practice at distance in the field but I take my time, no hot barrels.

I lean heavily on both of my .223s (one 1-10”, the other 1-8”) but I haven’t seen accuracy degrade with multiple shots. Just more dead marmots.

My brother gave me a Bell&Carlson replacement stock but it didn’t improve accuracy. It weighs more, though. Looks cool, black with red web.

P
I shot a 12 shot group once with my T3 7-08 and 120 BT's.......

[Linked Image]
Another benefit I forgot about with Tikkas is they don’t seem to hammer primers the way my Remingtons do. I know it’s not a show stopper but the Tikkas leave nice primer strikes that don’t look like welding slag post shot on my primers.
Originally Posted by JGRaider

[Linked Image]

I hear ya, what's your choice of powder? R-15 is what I use in my 7-08 with 120 Bt.
Yes Rem280, RL15, and Varget works well too. I don't like to send 120's much more than 3000" at the muzzle personally.

[Linked Image]

I like your style JG - best 12 shot group I've seen posted in a long time laugh
Originally Posted by joshf303
Remington standards....funny...
Yeah that is funny. "Up to Remington Standards". Shyt, Daisy has higher standards than Remington.
Posted By: Dre Re: Opinions on Tikka T3x Rifles - 08/01/19
Originally Posted by drover
Adding metal parts to replace the functional synthetic parts on a Tikka is like replacing the rims on your car with aftermarket ones, it may make you feel better but it doesn't add anything to the functionality. Shoot it as is and spend the "bling" money on ammo.

drover

this is the best reply yet.

unless the OP is looking for an excuse not to get the tikka because of couple plastic pieces, then so be it.
But to bring it up to the same quality as Remingtons, I'm speechless
After shooting quite a bit for more than 50 years I have come to like stuff that works as expected right out of the box and continues to do so in hard use. I have found that Tikkas, Glocks and SWFA scopes are consistently accurate and easily the most reliable and user friendly wares available. I have often spent more for far less and appreciate value but reliability trumps all for me.

I once had a Nula w/ a S&B on it that was amazing and made me very happy, until it was stolen from a hotel room in Anchorage. Never again.

mike r
Posted By: CP Re: Opinions on Tikka T3x Rifles - 08/02/19
I have commented repeatedly about how well my Tikkas have served my needs over the years. They just damn well work for me. In so far as the plastic parts and pieces are concerned, I have had zero issues with them. However, I did change-out the trigger guard on my 06 with a Mountain Tactical unit to give me a little more late season glove room inside the trigger bow. CP
Posted By: SLM Re: Opinions on Tikka T3x Rifles - 08/02/19
Going to need another truck full with a side by side pic.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jwall Re: Opinions on Tikka T3x Rifles - 08/02/19

For a hunting rifle ^^^^^^^^^^^ boggles my mind. S M H

Jerry
Originally Posted by jwall

For a hunting rifle ^^^^^^^^^^^ boggles my mind. S M H

Jerry

It boggles my mind too. I finally tired of it. Of course, fully evolved rifle looniness is hardly rational.
Just an excuse to buy more rifles.....
Feed the addiction.... Sounds like a good deal to me.....

Your comment has some truth to it but it is nice to just replace a stock with one that fits you and go shooting.
Or, one that is gorgeous English walnut....
That way it looks better while being shot.....
Remington = Chevy

Tikka = Toyota

If you want to tinker with every aftermarket product, go Remington. If you want to pull something about of the box that works and go hunt, Tikka.

To add, I don't care how massaged a Remington action is worked over, it will _NEVER_ feed like a Tikka. Truth.

To add, I don't care how massaged a Remington action is worked over, it will _NEVER_ feed like a Tikka. Truth.

That was my experience with feeding on my Remington 700's and one reason I am switching. (Aside from an excuse to buy more rifles as some have suggested.)

Have not had to do that yet

that is a want thing, their factory stocks are comparable

Agree if it is a wart model

Factory bottom metal is perfectly adequate, williams steel bottom metal is a luxury

Then you are getting better then a Tikka Trigger. More comparable would be a Timney

6. Primary Extraction Fix

I just picked up a LNIB CDL SS SF in 7mm rem mag. It is very nice and very well made, I think the bolt timing is perfect even though it is a "RR" prefix , not sure what the extraction on it is like yet. I like a little variety grin
Remington = Chevy

Tikka = Toyota

Maybe, but I prefer Lexus.

Have Remingtons and others brands with bolts as smooth as a Tikka.

Tough to beat a single stack mag for smooth feeding, but it comes with a cost of less rounds or protruding below the stock line.
FYI $75 rebate on all T3xs through August.

https://www.tikka.fi/en-us/t3x-promo

Love mine.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Dre Re: Opinions on Tikka T3x Rifles - 08/02/19
[bleep] I just bought my new tikka a week ago.
I hate missing deals
Nice stocks.....
There are discounts on the T3X at EuroOptic.
I've owned a few Tikkas that I got a deal on....and couldn't get rid of them fast enough.

I've never seen the accuracy that some folks here rave about with them, plus they feel like a toy gun.

I'll stick to my 700s and Kimbers.
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I've owned a few Tikkas that I got a deal on....and couldn't get rid of them fast enough.

I've never seen the accuracy that some folks here rave about with them, plus they feel like a toy gun.

I'll stick to my 700s and Kimbers.

Statistically speaking, they can’t all be shooters. We must be lucky, between the three of us we’re 12 for 12 on rave-worthy accuracy.

P
Posted By: jwall Re: Opinions on Tikka T3x Rifles - 08/03/19
Just a sample of 2.

I’m 2 for 2 in great outta the box.

Jerry
I'm 3 for 3 with Tikka

0 for 3 with Kimber
12 of 13 Tikkas were sub MOA easily.

Two for two with Kimber. I would like to try a Montana in 308, then call it quits.
Interesting story. I've had a bunch of trouble with Remington chambers the last 10 or so years. Short chambers,long chambers, mostly burred chambers. One 7 Rem mag BDL had to have a burr polished out. The smithy at Grice gun shop did the deed. I bought it there. Brought her home and tried a proven whitetail load that I like in it. Here they are.
[Linked Image]
In convenient yes,but worth the trouble.
Originally Posted by jwall
Just a sample of 2.

I’m 2 for 2 in great outta the box.

Jerry

Sample of 3 and all 3 good. 308--scary accurate 270 accurate 30-06 scary accurate
Since someone has broached the subject....
Chevy / Toyota comparison.
Chevy has the LS 500+ horsepower series of motors.
So what does Toyota have???
Kinda relative huh......
So what does Toyota have???.
A vehicle that doesn't break down or need repairs every month.
That won't fly. My last four GM vehicles all made 150k+ miles. No work other than tires, batteries and oil changes....
The days of poorly made American vehicles are long gone......
I haul my sub moa rifles from Finland, Japan, Germany and even a few from the USA to the range in my toyota 4runner.....as diversified as I appear can you believe i voted for trump?
Kinda my point. Use something long enough and the warts will show.
"Make mine Mauser."
Finn Aagard
I've got a Tikka T3x in .308 and like it. Want to purchase a .30-06 now. Would anyone here pick a Tikka over a Winchester Model 70 EW in .30-06?
Originally Posted by elelbean
I've got a Tikka T3x in .308 and like it. Want to purchase a .30-06 now. Would anyone here pick a Tikka over a Winchester Model 70 EW in .30-06?

Tough question . I would not trade my T3x 30-06 for one, partially because of sentimental value and it is the most accurate 30-06 I have ever owned.
That won't fly. My last four GM vehicles all made 150k+ miles. No work other than tires, batteries and oil changes....

Laughable
Since someone has broached the subject....
Chevy / Toyota comparison.
Chevy has the LS 500+ horsepower series of motors.
So what does Toyota have???
Kinda relative huh......

I'm a Chevy guy. I recently bought my first Toyota (Tacoma). On a Toyota forum, I read all the posts by the fanbois about how Chevy's don't last etc..... Chevy's Trucks and RWD cars, in general, will last just as long as any Toyota. Toyota probably does better with FWD.

I bought the Taco because it felt a little better inside though with fewer features, It has better aftermarket support, and hell if I didn't like it, I could much more easily get my money out of it to buy a full-sized Chevrolet. I've got 75,000 miles on the Taco and don't plan on selling it unless it's to buy another Taco.

As far as horse power, I way prefer the LSx series of engines, SBCs and BBCs, but that inline six they stuck in the Supra can be built to hold over 1,000hp. That ain't nothing to sneeze at.

AS far as the Topic, I'm pretty pleased with the Tikka Lite Stainless I have. Thinking about another.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Laughable

I sold an S10 with 251K on the clock, a Caprice with 220K on the clock.... They were good vehicles.

All day long.
Originally Posted by WoodrowFCall

Laughable

I sold an S10 with 251K on the clock, a Caprice with 220K on the clock.... They were good vehicles.

Both vehicles no longer made by Chevy. Very Relevant
Originally Posted by joshf303

All day long.

Leaning that way myself. I just cannot get over how they manage to build such quality into their products one after another. It's this thing called pride in workmanship.

I would. The Tikka will cost you a bit less and shoot just as good or better than the Winchester. Plus, with the popularity surge that Tikka is going through now, there aftermarket offerings for anything you may want to change out (bottom metal, trigger, stock, etc.) are becoming more affordable than those for Winchesters.

Finally, if you get the bug for a semi-custom, the Tikka is a solid action to build off of.
I have many rifles some are accurate than others. Tikka has been the most consistent. I have a Tikkas in 223 2506 6.5 creed 270 3006 7mm rem mag 300 win 308 win.
Originally Posted by WoodrowFCall

Laughable

Both vehicles no longer made by Chevy. Very Relevant

Sure. They still make trucks and they will have just as many miles. See it all the time.
True. Car makers introduce and drop models regularly.....
Yeah i have owned many new trucks made by Toyota (5) , Chevy (3) Ford (4) and I even had a new Dodge one time, I did not notice one be more reliable than the others, I think you can get a lemon in any brand 👍.....Hb
I’ve got 300k miles or close to it on all 3 of my Chevy’s with NO issues! They’re used like trucks should be used as well, not just for going to church and the pharmacy. 😁
Posted By: SKane Re: Opinions on Tikka T3x Rifles - 08/07/19

[Linked Image]

grin
Looks like things haven't changed for Tikka customer service.

Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
I am stumped. The guys over at rimfire central did not offer any help at all. So far 3 calls to Beretta resulted in me leaving voicemails and they were supposed to call me back but they never did. This has been going on since the end of June. Beretta/Tikka warranty? Its a joke, no emails answered either.

Load 9 in the magazine, the point of the bullet on top three stay downs low in the mag and will not feed. I can remove the mag and reset it with a wack then the front of the round will arch up a little and chamber. Same thing for next 2 rounds. Once I get down to 6 in the magazine everything is fine.
I know, I know, just load 6 and be happy. But the mag is designed to hold 10 and I want at least 9.

Examined the mag, cleaned the inside, nothing appears to be out of wack, no burrs. Can't find a way to take it apart so will leave it alone.

Any suggestions? Could be an easy fix and just buy a new mag but at this point am pissed off at the lack of service and don't want to spend any more of my money.
Yeah Beretta CS is well known to be chitty....I have had 1 experience with them and they are a joke 👎🏿.....Hb
I don't care for beretta customer service even though I have enriched their coffers in the past few decades but the last experience was very gratifying. They actually sent me a new replacement A7 magazine, even though the rifle was built in 2010 they had no issue with that. I got thru to them on the first ring, maybe I should have played the powerball that day.

PS I have used Remington,Weatherby and Swarovski customer service but never needed to send anything but a Silver Pigeon and a Extrema back to Beretta in all these years, all extremely minor.

Hint
I agree, the chances are low that you will need Beretta CS if you buy a new Tikka rifle, I would not hesitate to buy another T3x if I was so inclined...Several years ago I sent back a new Sako 85 chambered in 30-06 that had the famous straight up ejection issue and Beretta basically told me the rifle was in spec and to go pound sand....lol.....That will be my Last Sako rifle unless they redesign their model 85 to something that ejects spent cases properly, say to a new and improved model 95 👍.....Hb
If those Tikka 22’s could be fed by 10/22 mags the world would flip upside down.
Originally Posted by 16bore
If those Tikka 22’s could be fed by 10/22 mags the world would flip upside down.

That was my thought also the first time I looked at a T1.

drover
Originally Posted by drover
Originally Posted by 16bore

That was my thought also the first time I looked at a T1.

drover

Yeah, the world would be a better place if you could use 10-22 mags in other similar rifles. I know savage also suffers from crap mags.
The issue is that 10/22 mags damage the bullet when feeding. The bullet being unmolested has a large part to do with why the Vudoo has such good precision. From the T1x’s I’ve seen, thier mags are very gentle on the bullet and virtually no damage occurs.

The few T1x’s I’ve shot have been the most accurate (precise) repeating .22’s other than Vudoos I have used.
What is the attraction with those crappy ruger mags,they don’t feed well, are hard to fill and make your stock feel pregnant
I have several Tikka's, both T3 and T3x all have aftermarket barrels except one.

The one stock Tikka is a Tactical model in 300 win Mag. When it was a few years old I used it in a 1000 yard competition (actually 1038 yards). got best group of the 2 day competition, 4.00"/ 5 shots. 208 A-Max over H-1000.

This year, same Tikka as above (now 5 years old and 1000+ rounds through it) it got a podium, 8.00"/ 10 shot group. Used a 185 Juggernaut over RL-22. It now sits in a McMillan stock.

The scope is a 4x16 Vortex PST, ya I know , it will fail sometime but hasn't yet. Does hold zero and tracks reasonably well.

The Tikka probably doesn't need any aftermarket help, but a good bedding job, attention to scope mounting and impecabile handloads sure help.
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
The issue is that 10/22 mags damage the bullet when feeding. The bullet being unmolested has a large part to do with why the Vudoo has such good precision. From the T1x’s I’ve seen, thier mags are very gentle on the bullet and virtually no damage occurs.

The few T1x’s I’ve shot have been the most accurate (precise) repeating .22’s other than Vudoos I have used.

Amen!!! When I see folks Bitch about tikka mags I have to wonder just how hard has life been for them up to this point. Grin! Generally the argument goes something like this: "I don't know why?" I just don't like them. Personally I prefer a mag that will feed my loaded ammo without doubling or tripling runout apon feeding. A recent example of this was my brothers Browning X bolt 111 300 win mag I loaded some ammo for him with less than 1 thou runout. When he would feed a round and eject it we'd measured 15 thou! With some extensive feed ramp and mag work we got it FAR better but still no tikka! My brothers Browning will now shoot on par with my Tikka all I had to do was bed the action, work over the trigger, work over the feed system. Tikka sure does make it easy

Trystan

Trystan
Posted By: kman Re: Opinions on Tikka T3x Rifles - 08/16/19
New t3x 6.5cm, bone stock. Alpha brass, imr 4451, 210s and a 139gr scenar. Zero load development. Loaded to 2.8" which is about 100 thou off the lands. What's not to like?

[Linked Image]
Nice work kman. If a guy is into prolonged load development and tweaking, Tikka ain't for them. Congrats!
Posted By: jwall Re: Opinions on Tikka T3x Rifles - 08/16/19
That’s why I have TWO.

Jerry
Nice work kman. If a guy is into prolonged load development and tweaking, Tikka ain't for them. Congrats!

There is no adventure or drama with a Tikka , I hate them grin

There is no adventure or drama with a Tikka , I hate them grin

Yeah, I know, right. I have all this different powder and bullets that I don't have a use for because my Tikka's just eat what I feed them.

I guess I will have to get a couple Remingtons so that I can use up all those components chasing a good load. smile
© 24hourcampfire