Home
Posted By: badger "Custom" rifle values? - 10/28/19
Notice the quotation marks. To me, a custom rifle is one that is not built on a mass produced action like a Remington, Winchester, Sako etc etc action. Rather one that uses something like a BAT or Kelby action. That said, I have a few rifles that are Remington action based, with aftermarket triggers and barrels and stocks. The actions have been blueprinted and the rifles were built by Mickey Coleman. A few of these rifles are duplicates and hardly ever see the light of day, and they all shoot very, very well. I also have an itch to scratch with another rifle that I want, and was considering putting a couple of mine on the market. Chamberings run the gamut from 243AI through 250AI and 7-08AI. Obviously to me they are worth more than a stock rifle would be. The question is, how much more, and as a rule of thumb, how much more would they be worth as a percentage of a stock rifle's value?

Yes, I know the question is a little vague absent the details of each rifle, but discussion is invited.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: "Custom" rifle values? - 10/28/19
For me, value would be highly dependent on who did the gunsmithing. A rifle built from a reputable gunsmith should be worth more than one cobbled together from a garage gun plumber.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: "Custom" rifle values? - 10/28/19
The market is soft, and extremely soft for rifles with production actions. You’re likely going to get hosed selling, but I figure you already know this already...

Things that will help mitigate the price reduction is chambering, barrel manufacture/twist and rifle builder. Obviously, condition and rounds down the pipe will be a plus/minus.

If you enjoyed your builds and got to use them a bunch, the small loss maybe won’t be as bad...That’s what I tell myself at least.

GLWYS

😎

There is full customs that are not selling for 45% of their build price, right now...If that helps
Posted By: gunswizard Re: "Custom" rifle values? - 10/28/19
+1 regarding the market being soft right now, not the time to be selling any kind of custom rifle.
Posted By: barm Re: "Custom" rifle values? - 10/28/19
If you sell them as a complete rifle, you will not get close to what you have in it, if you are lucky 50%. I have done the same and found if I parted it out I got significantly more money. I would sell the action, barrel, stock, trigger, and scope bases separately.
Custom rifle: noun; "something you spend money on to reduce its value".

I'm in the same boat. Have a LH M700 with Pac-Nor barrel done up by Mickey that is sitting alone and unused, but there's no way I'd get anything more than basic M700 prices for it and the fact that it is an aftermarket barrel - even though by outward appearances it is a stock M700 BDL - actually reduces the desirability to potential buyers.
Posted By: 16bore Re: "Custom" rifle values? - 10/28/19
Price is what you pay, value is what you get.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: "Custom" rifle values? - 10/28/19
Originally Posted by 16bore

Buffett.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by 16bore

Buffett.

Only when crab legs are all you can eat...😛😎
What’s a “t” amongst friends?
Posted By: Slavek Re: "Custom" rifle values? - 10/28/19
Originally Posted by badger
Notice the quotation marks. To me, a custom rifle is one that is not built on a mass produced action like a Remington, Winchester, Sako etc etc action. Rather one that uses something like a BAT or Kelby action. That said, I have a few rifles that are Remington action based, with aftermarket triggers and barrels and stocks. The actions have been blueprinted and the rifles were built by Mickey Coleman. A few of these rifles are duplicates and hardly ever see the light of day, and they all shoot very, very well. I also have an itch to scratch with another rifle that I want, and was considering putting a couple of mine on the market. Chamberings run the gamut from 243AI through 250AI and 7-08AI. Obviously to me they are worth more than a stock rifle would be. The question is, how much more, and as a rule of thumb, how much more would they be worth as a percentage of a stock rifle's value?

Yes, I know the question is a little vague absent the details of each rifle, but discussion is invited.

They can be excellent value on the used gun market.....good customized big game rifle
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
What’s a “t” amongst friends?

Laffin...Idk, 🤷🏽‍♀️ Crab legs could make a poor investment portfolio not seem so bad 😬😎
Laffin! grin
Posted By: 458Win Re: "Custom" rifle values? - 10/28/19
One year I was walking to the SCI show in Vegas and found one of those rolled , flattened pennies with the Lord's Prayer or some other saying stamped into it.
I picked it up and showed it to a few of my good friends in the custom gun making field and said it remind d me of a custom rifle. Someone had taken a penny, spent 50 cents modifying it, and ended up with less than they started with.

But I still love my custom rifles !
Posted By: hanco Re: "Custom" rifle values? - 10/28/19
There are lots of nice cheap customs on GunBroker from time to time
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: "Custom" rifle values? - 10/28/19
Right now there is a rifle in Texas that has everything and its dirt cheap. I will put the link on and I betcha its sold in a day if its not already sold.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...ting-rifle-30-06cal.cfm?gun_id=100810575
Beauty and features in a rifle are similar to those of wives. Everyone has their own tastes and desires.
Posted By: Bisley Re: "Custom" rifle values? - 10/28/19
Originally Posted by Slavek

They can be excellent value on the used gun market.....good customized big game rifle

Wish I had a need for that beauty.
Posted By: ingwe Re: "Custom" rifle values? - 10/28/19
Originally Posted by barm
If you sell them as a complete rifle, you will not get close to what you have in it, if you are lucky 50%. I have done the same and found if I parted it out I got significantly more money. I would sell the action, barrel, stock, trigger, and scope bases separately.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS

And if it is a mass produced action, especially if "customizing" a factory rifle the rule of thumb is whatever you spent on it...deduct that from the price of the original firearm. i.e. if a rebarrel costs you $400...the rifle is worth $400 LESS.

Custom guns better be built to your dream specs and you'd better keep them and use the hell out of them....they depreciate faster than a boat...
Originally Posted by 458Win
Beauty and features in a rifle are similar to those of wives. Everyone has their own tastes and desires.

Yeah, but wives won't sit quietly in the cabinet until you're ready to enjoy them.

What are the specs on the 7-08AI? You can PM me if you'd rather.
Posted By: pal Re: "Custom" rifle values? - 10/28/19
...how much more, and as a rule of thumb, how much more would they be worth as a percentage of a stock rifle's value?...

Generally I would expect the selling price to be less than if the rifle had not been modified, unless the components and builder had been chosen impeccably. This largely because of the much larger market for stock rifles.
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Yeah, but wives won't sit quietly in the cabinet until you're ready to enjoy them.

That is why smart guys get working models 😁

Delicate elegance , in both rifles and women, is always a costly extravagance
Posted By: badger Re: "Custom" rifle values? - 10/29/19
Originally Posted by jackmountain

What are the specs on the 7-08AI? You can PM me if you'd rather.

Sent you a pm.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: "Custom" rifle values? - 10/29/19
Obviously to me they are worth more than a stock rifle would be.

I have to disagree .. from my perspective. To you as seller, you might want that to be true. To me as buyer, I'm not interested in your project. I am generally less interested in a used custom than a used factory rifle. I have to assume that, no matter how honest the sellers face, they would only sell something they have a bunch of money in if it is worn out or incurably screwed up. I have to assume I am buying an action for a build, no more, no less, so the name on the barrel blank, the gunsmith who did the work ... all means exactly nothing.

Tom
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: "Custom" rifle values? - 10/29/19
Originally Posted by Beaver10
You’re likely going to get hosed selling

I doubt it. badger seems pretty sharp and I don't see him getting hosed by somebody.

I do however agree with most in this thread. Your custom (project) is generally of no or little interest to other buyers. However, if you are patient, you may do well. Your list of calibers limits your audience/market. Without arguing the pluses of improving a cartrdge Ackley-wise, the fact is, a very small portion of shooters want that. The same goes for your preferred stock, action, trigger, etc. I think with selling customs second-hand, it is important to get the firearm into the hands of a prospective buyer so he can really appreciate it. This is just not always an option. Good luck badger.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: "Custom" rifle values? - 10/29/19
Custom building a rifle is like building a hotrod. You put into it what you want, but that doesn't mean the next fellow wants the same thing. If you watch the car auctions on tv, you hear them say all the time that the car sold for less that it took to build/restore it. Of course, there are always exceptions. Same way with guns. And just like cars, the market for guns goes up and down.
Posted By: badger Re: "Custom" rifle values? - 10/29/19
All good observations gentlemen. Truth is, I can afford to buy the rifle I want, it's not a huge investment (About $7k all in with optics), but the safe is pretty full, and I thought it would be a good time to move some of the rifles that don't get much use. There is some sentimental value there too, as Mickey was a very dear friend, and his work never disappointed. Sooo, I'll put a few out there and see what response they generate. They don't have to be sold, and I'm in a good position financially to keep them.
Posted By: jbuck Re: "Custom" rifle values? - 10/29/19
I would say a lot depends on the builder and the chambering.

I've lost the least on GAPrecision rifles.
Posted By: EdM Re: "Custom" rifle values? - 10/30/19
I own a few customs I bought used and they are all worth more than what I paid. From a personal build, one will never get back what they have in it. Not unlike classic/muscle cars. I am talking pre-64 Wins, Mauser's and similar.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: "Custom" rifle values? - 10/30/19
Originally Posted by TheBigSky

I doubt it. badger seems pretty sharp and I don't see him getting hosed by somebody.

I do however agree with most in this thread. Your custom (project) is generally of no or little interest to other buyers. However, if you are patient, you may do well. Your list of calibers limits your audience/market. Without arguing the pluses of improving a cartrdge Ackley-wise, the fact is, a very small portion of shooters want that. The same goes for your preferred stock, action, trigger, etc. I think with selling customs second-hand, it is important to get the firearm into the hands of a prospective buyer so he can really appreciate it. This is just not always an option. Good luck badger.

Clearly getting “Hosed” wasn’t meant to suggest OP would allow himself to be taken advantage of....If you would have quoted my entire post, instead of trying to be a smart-ass with selective quoting like a Liberal, I wouldn’t need to kick you in your fat head. 😎
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: "Custom" rifle values? - 10/30/19
The market is soft, and extremely soft for rifles with production actions. You’re likely going to get hosed selling, but I figure you already know this already...

Things that will help mitigate the price reduction is chambering, barrel manufacture/twist and rifle builder. Obviously, condition and rounds down the pipe will be a plus/minus.

If you enjoyed your builds and got to use them a bunch, the small loss maybe won’t be as bad...That’s what I tell myself at least.

GLWYS

😎

There is full customs that are not selling for 45% of their build price, right now...If that helps
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: "Custom" rifle values? - 10/30/19
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Custom rifle: noun; "something you spend money on to reduce its value". ...
This ^^^^^^^^

And this ^^^^^^^

IMO, if you can get 50% of what you invested in a custom you are doing well. You build a custom rifle to suit yourself. What scratches your itch, probably will not scratch the next guy's itch. So, invest accordingly.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: "Custom" rifle values? - 10/30/19
I don't sell,but if I did...it'd be no thang to turn profits on a herd.

If you fhuqk around with Stupid Schit and fawn Fluff,you'll lose your ass. Do it right and source components with a fhuqking clue and they appreciate. Doubly so,if you savvy the relationship of RPM,COAL and throat geometry. Hint.

Play Pretty Barbie Doll Safe Queens aren't worth a fhuqk,both figuratively and literally.

Hint.........................
Posted By: LazyV Re: "Custom" rifle values? - 10/30/19
Is that why yours are always in the water, gilding them?
Posted By: dznnf7 Re: "Custom" rifle values? - 10/30/19
"Custom" doesn't even have a common definition. But if you build rifles from top-notch components and minimize labor spending, you don't have to take a beating on them. Lots of money wasted on BS procedures and cosmetic surgery.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: "Custom" rifle values? - 10/30/19
HazyV,

Once the brush is wet,everything is IN the water. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Drooling Fence Hopping Window Lickers simply cain't savvy the magnitude,of such simplistic facts. Hint.

Forecast is rather encouraging however! Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Do not discount the Poignant Profundity of Provenance in such equations either. Conjoin same,with a total lack of Fluff and appreciations are easily factored and come to fruition reliably. Pun(s) be intended. Hint.

Bless your heart for trying.

Hint.

Laughing!.............................
Posted By: hotsoup Re: "Custom" rifle values? - 10/30/19
I've known only 3 men who had "custom " rifles built. All on model 700 actions, well known barrels, McMillan stocks, and timney triggers on each one I think. One a 7mmremmag, one a 338 win mag, and one a 7x57. Guy with the 7x57 still has his. the other 2 got hosed when they finally sold. In my experience custom rifles are great for the person who commissioned them, as long as they keep them. At sale, their worth drops considerably. It's wise to consider this before the purchase of a custom rifle. Of course, ymmv.
Posted By: LazyV Re: "Custom" rifle values? - 10/30/19
One trick stick,

Alaska wet, stick smart, got it.
Worth to whom?

Doesn't matter to me what my customs are worth to others. To me they are worth what I paid.

I'm also going to disagree with the OP's definition of custom. Lots of excellent custom rifles have been built on mass-produced actions, including military rifles. AFAiC, the most important part of the rifle to me is the barrel.
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: "Custom" rifle values? - 10/31/19

Clearly getting “Hosed” wasn’t meant to suggest OP would allow himself to be taken advantage of....If you would have quoted my entire post, instead of trying to be a smart-ass with selective quoting like a Liberal, I wouldn’t need to kick you in your fat head. 😎

Take your liberal, snowflake, crybaby panties off and put on some big boy pants. It wasn't an attack on you, it was support for him, for lack of a better term. Have a good day.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: "Custom" rifle values? - 10/31/19
...Yes, I know the question is a little vague absent the details of each rifle, but discussion is invited.

PM Sent.

Ed
Posted By: badger Re: "Custom" rifle values? - 10/31/19
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
...Yes, I know the question is a little vague absent the details of each rifle, but discussion is invited.

PM Sent.

Ed

Answered.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: "Custom" rifle values? - 11/01/19
You can’t call me a Liberal after I’ve already called you one....That’s like playing tag with yourself, dumb-dumb. 😬😎
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: "Custom" rifle values? - 11/01/19
You can’t call me a Liberal after I’ve already called you one....That’s like playing tag with yourself, dumb-dumb. 😬😎

That's actually a good point. It's kind of like saying "I know you are but what am I?". But, you calling me a liberal is kind of like calling a fat guy "slim" or some such nonsense. I guess I just came uncorked. Be well.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: "Custom" rifle values? - 11/01/19
BigSky,
Same...

Always Fun yapping at someone who can take and give it...We’re good.

Feel free in the future to enjoy throwing a mitten full of monkey dung my way. Especially when I’m talking stupid...Which is frequent. Grins.
😎
Posted By: DonFischer Re: "Custom" rifle values? - 11/01/19
I think there's a market for your custom rifle, problem is it is a very small market and might take a long time to find it! But the larger market would be for something like pre 64 Winchester's. I haven't a clue why people pay so much for them. How much your rifle is worth depend's solely on you, what are you willing to sell it for? Then can you find the guy willing to pay your price? I keep reading about guy's wanting to know the resale value of their rifle down the road. That's easy. It's like everything else. It's worth what your willing to sell it for, rifle's are a lousy investment for the most part. I have a custom. 1903 Springfield cost $500 brand new! It was appraised about 25 yrs ago at $7500. I was built in 1945 By Paul Jaeger.. I believe I'd grow a whole lot older waiting for someone to pony up the money for it! It'll never be for sale!

That rifle was made for a very close friend of mine that died in 1995. I wouldn't mind having one made but not for the kind of money they run. Custom's can certainly be beautiful but getting your money back out is close to impossible. Oh wait, I do have a rebarrel I might call custom. 700 BDL with factory stock completely re-finished, factory trigger (I like the Remington trigger), 25" Shilen match grade barrel in 6.5x06. I've got about $800 in it and doubt I could get that out of it. Ya want an inestment? Buy land!
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: "Custom" rifle values? - 11/01/19
BigSky,
Same...

Feel free in the future to enjoy throwing a mitten full of monkey dung my way. Especially when I’m talking stupid...Which is frequent. Grins.
😎

Likewise my friend.
Posted By: kingston Re: "Custom" rifle values? - 11/02/19
BigSky,
Same...

😎

Likewise my friend.

You two are making me uncomfortable.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: "Custom" rifle values? - 11/02/19
Originally Posted by kingston
BigSky,
Same...

😎

Likewise my friend.

That’s not hard to do....😎
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: "Custom" rifle values? - 11/02/19
Originally Posted by kingston
BigSky,
Same...

😎

Likewise my friend.

That’s not hard to do....😎

Yep. It was a big plan to increase the pucker factor for you kingston.
Posted By: Starman Re: "Custom" rifle values? - 11/04/19
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Play Pretty Barbie Doll Safe Queens aren't worth a fhuqk,both figuratively and literally.

Hint.........................

just a sneaking suspicion the CF crowd are more likely to have Ken doll customs.

God made Adam first, but Mattel had good business sense to create Barbie first.
© 24hourcampfire