Home
So the 2019 Grice limited run is the Predator in 6mm Remington. Not sure why Ruger missed the twist with a 1-9". And with the 6mm CM available with the correct twist, not sure that they'll sell all of the 6mm Rem's.

I saw those and really like them, but I'll be damned if I'll suffer another Ruger and gamble on their crap QC. I'd already own one if Ruger hadn't gone to using customers as the final step in their QC.
Cool cartridge. My ranch drives nails, my buddies ruger americans shoot great. That being said they should just sell the barreled action for much less, those stocks are horrendous. The stock on my sons Daisy 880 is better than the American line. Once you buy one for 419 or 449.......out the door for 500......then you put a 200 dollar Boyds on it........coulda just got something else. At least offer a hardwood option.
They’ll sell at least a dozen, maybe more!
6mm is a great round but I would probably just buy a 6mmCM personally
Rather have a 700 SF Ti 6mm Rem
Originally Posted by 257heaven
So the 2019 Grice limited run is the Predator in 6mm Remington. Not sure why Ruger missed the twist with a 1-9". And with the 6mm CM available with the correct twist, not sure that they'll sell all of the 6mm Rem's.

I can't look at the specs from here - did they make these on a short action or long action?
so the 1-9" twist won't stabilize 100-105 grain bullets? gotta say i'm intrigued by the non standard caliber limited runs. well, i would since i'm a 260 rem guy.
Big Ed
Originally Posted by 16bore
They’ll sell at least a dozen, maybe more!

You are an optomist.......
Originally Posted by Yondering

I can't look at the specs from here - did they make these on a short action or long action?

Looks like a short action, but I can't find full specs, either.
The only long action RAR-Ps that I've heard about were a limited run in 25-06 made in 2016. But even if there isn't a COAL issue in a long action, the 6mm REM doesn't look like a good platform fort the currently popular VLD bullets if the ROT is too slow.

If the shorter case of the 6mm Creedmoor makes it a better fit in short actions than than the 243, going to the longer 6mm REM would seem like a step in the wrong direction.

I'm not anti-6mm REM, as I've had at least one for the past 50 years, but I'm not shooting long VLD bullets in either of mine.
Originally Posted by whitearrow
so the 1-9" twist won't stabilize 100-105 grain bullets? gotta say i'm intrigued by the non standard caliber limited runs. well, i would since i'm a 260 rem guy.
Big Ed

Do you have one of the RAR-Ps in 260 from the limited non-cataloged run in 2015?
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Big Ed

Do you have one of the RAR-Ps in 260 from the limited non-cataloged run in 2015?

(3) of em. i just couldn't say no. (1) scoped up and the other (2) sitting in the safe for my 2 boys at some point.
Big Ed
Swing and a miss
You'd think they could turn one out in 6.8spc
Or 350 legend (thwacker)

Grice sells as "GotGunz?" on GB and currently has one listed for $399.95, plus $30 for shipping.
Big Ed

(3) of em. i just couldn't say no. (1) scoped up and the other (2) sitting in the safe for my 2 boys at some point.
Big Ed

Me too. I bought a pair with consecutive serial number from Whittaker's that are NIB and one that is scoped and occasionally gets shot.
260Remguy: I looked that auction up on a search and found it:

link: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/847710882

I thought picture #10 was especially cute there on that site - in that the folks at Ruger could NOT find it in their hearts to mark the barrel with the word "REMINGTON"!
The barrel is just marked 6MM!
He-he.
Kind of a cool caliber (I have owned lots of them including Ruger #1's, Ruger Model 77's, Remington 700's, Remington 40X's, Remington 788's and some customs).
Good for the folks at Grice getting some different stuff out onto the market.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
So the "predator" has a heavier contoured snout? Sorry I'm not familiar with rar's , other than my 358, which I like
Originally Posted by Judman
So the "predator" has a heavier contoured snout? Sorry I'm not familiar with rar's , other than my 358, which I like

Yup, plus a threaded barrel, and most importantly the stock is green. That makes it shoot flatter.

smile

I actually like mine quite a bit too; one of the earlier 6.5 Creedmoor versions.
Copy, my 358 is threaded too, which is dumb
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
260Remguy: I looked that auction up on a search and found it:

link: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/847710882

I thought picture #10 was especially cute there on that site - in that the folks at Ruger could NOT find it in their hearts to mark the barrel with the word "REMINGTON"!
The barrel is just marked 6MM!
He-he.
Kind of a cool caliber (I have owned lots of them including Ruger #1's, Ruger Model 77's, Remington 700's, Remington 40X's, Remington 788's and some customs).
Good for the folks at Grice getting some different stuff out onto the market.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I saw that and think that it was the sort of thing that will cause confusion sometime down the road. The box is marked "6MM REM", so why not the barrel?

One of my first two center-fire rifles was a Remington 660 in 6mm REM that was assembled in 01/69. I still have it, although it has been through several different scopes and mounts over the past 50 years.
Wonder if the twist was determined by mag constraints or simply that 1-9 is their standard in .243s too?

Anyway, the Creed version makes more sense unless you factor in nostalgia. Hell, why not a .250/3000?
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Wonder if the twist was determined by mag constraints or simply that 1-9 is their standard in .243s too?

Anyway, the Creed version makes more sense unless you factor in nostalgia. Hell, why not a .250/3000?

Ruger advertises the ROT of the 6mm Creedmoor as being 1-7" and the 243 as being 1-9", so it seems that they could have gone either way without any extra effort.

A nostalgic cartridge chambered in a rifle that is anything but nostalgic seem out of sync to me.

Ruger advertises the ROT of the 6mm Creedmoor as being 1-7" and the 243 as being 1-9", so it seems that they could have gone either way without any extra effort.

A nostalgic cartridge chambered in a rifle that is anything but nostalgic seem out of sync to me.

I had a Number 1V .243 with a 1-7.7", and have seen that on others as well. Who knows what motivates these guys; maybe just a bunch of 1-9" barrels laying around.

That bit about nostalgia was in jest. Heartily agree about the platform choice. I can think of a better idea, or several. No idea who dreamed this up, but quite possibly someone at Grice, who come to think of it, might've spec'd the twist too.

How does a magazine determine twist?
Originally Posted by mathman

How does a magazine determine twist?

It doesn't, but if mag length is too short for optimum loads with heavy bullets (i.e.: longer COAL), why twist it fast for heavy bullets??
Thank you.

I didn't go into that, thinking it unnecessary for those who've been attending the University of Wasilla.🤓
So you meant influenced, not determined. grin

Only seems dumb until you figure out how much fun it is with suppressed subsonic 250gr bullets. Or with a suppressed 158gr hollow point that duplicates 38 Special loads. (Hint, laughin, etc, you know the drill... smile )

Seriously though, there are a lot of interesting possibilities for suppressed use of a 35 cal rifle, and it's got the suppressed 30 cal stuff beat hands-down.

I knew what you were doing there. Haha.

Only seems dumb until you figure out how much fun it is with suppressed subsonic 250gr bullets. Or with a suppressed 158gr hollow point that duplicates 38 Special loads. (Hint, laughin, etc, you know the drill... smile )

Seriously though, there are a lot of interesting possibilities for suppressed use of a 35 cal rifle, and it's got the suppressed 30 cal stuff beat hands-down.

With a 9mm suppressor...right?? I have thought about this, too. But I'd have to check and see if my suppressor can take it. It's a TiRant, and I think it's aluminum??
Are you guys saying a 9twist won't stabilize the 100-105gr bullets? I knew the old 1in12 wouldn't but the 1in10 has been stabilizing them for years. powdr
105's to 108's would be my choice. I guess the only way to know if they'll stabilize is to shoot them at long range. 100 yards....probably ok. 600 yards.....who knows??

I think there's a reason Barrett twists the 243 and 6mm CM Fieldcrafts at 1-7".

Math expert and grammar Nazi? I'm not sure that's even legal!🤔

Go easy on me. I'm only (barely) a H.S. graduate.
Originally Posted by powdr
Are you guys saying a 9twist won't stabilize the 100-105gr bullets? I knew the old 1in12 wouldn't but the 1in10 has been stabilizing them for years. powdr

Berger bullets calculator says a 105 would be marginally stable at 6mm Remington speeds.

https://bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/
Thank you.

I didn't go into that, thinking it unnecessary for those who've been attending the University of Wasilla.🤓

I graduated ........unfortunately

With a 9mm suppressor...right?? I have thought about this, too. But I'd have to check and see if my suppressor can take it. It's a TiRant, and I think it's aluminum??

For subsonics - yeah most 9mm cans should be able to handle that with the right load. Depends on the can - I think a TiRant should be able to handle it, but check with AAC. If it can handle 308 subsonic loads, it'll handle 358. For full power 358 Win loads though, you'd need to step up to something like a Liberty Mystic that'll handle rifle rounds; some manufacturers have been willing to bore out their 30 caliber cans too on a custom basis, I'd be inclined to look into a Thunderbeast Ultra 7 or 9 for that if they'll do it. (Full power loads are worth suppressing too, and make shooting a lot more pleasant even though there is still down-range crack.)

Build your subsonic loads with fast pistol powders - stay in the burn rate range between Clays and Unique. Some guys like Trail Boss, but IMO with various subsonic rifle cartridges I prefer some of the other powders like Bullseye, Clays, or Green Dot for more consistent velocity. Also, cast/coated bullets are way easier to develop subsonic loads with, and a decent cast hollow point can be a devastating deer killer in subsonic loads.

BTW - that Ti-Rant is so named because of the titanium (Ti) outer tube. The inner baffles are mostly aluminum though, with a 17-4 stainless blast baffle. It's a good suppressor.
Originally Posted by Girlhunter
You'd think they could turn one out in 6.8spc

^ This since it already uses AR mags! 6.8 would be a nice addition for sure!
I've seen 105's hit the target damn near sideways in a 9 twist.
Did anyone ever buy one of these? If so, how is it working out? Also curious if flush fit magazines will work with these.
The big problem is not twist but mag length even with 103 EldX hornday now discontinued when seated deep to the point of the ogive the load is 2.915" LONG and won't fit short action magazines. So why spend the cash bldg one with a long action ,tight twist to hopefully get another 100-150 fps when you can get an out the door 6 creed that everything is ready to go? Bordering on falling off the plank for adventure in loonyism.MB
My Ruger Predator 6.5 Creed

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
The Ruger American in 6 mm Remington has a mag length of 2.87" one still won't use many of the long high bc slinkies in this gun. MB 1
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
The big problem is not twist but mag length even with 103 EldX hornday now discontinued when seated deep to the point of the ogive the load is 2.915" LONG and won't fit short action magazines. So why spend the cash bldg one with a long action ,tight twist to hopefully get another 100-150 fps when you can get an out the door 6 creed that everything is ready to go? Bordering on falling off the plank for adventure in loonyism.MB

When did they discontinue that? Not disappointed; neither Hornady factory nor some handloads I tried won any prizes in my Barret 6CM.
Can't tell you exactly, but must have been before the 10 th edn of the Hornady handbook of cartridge reloading as it is no longer listed. Maybe it's not,maybe the103 postdates the 10 th edn manual. I thought that was one of the early eld's? whose nose tip melted off in flight.The 10 th shows the 105 gr Amax & 105 tbsp and the 108 ELD M but no 103? Before 2016? MB
thought the whole advantage of a Creed was that in a short action you could seat the bullet out farther and still fit in the short Magazine gettng more velocity than a 260 for instance. But that's compariing a .260 to a crudmoor in a short action. In a long action that's not a concern. And with a 6mm Remington in a long action you're going to leave anything Crudmoor in the dirt. That's the only advantage I can see. Of course, with the short action there is a precieved degree of rigidity that may add to accuracy but gaining 200-300 FPS or more is a pretty good advantage too.
Thought about it , local LGS has Interarms Mk x in a custom wood stock 243 win on a long action until I noticed the bulge up past the forend. Even if a guy got it at $250 and a quality 24" 8 twist barrel cut 6mm Rem your gonna have a750+$ custom bastard or 6 creed. Around here you can buy a new Ruger 6 creed for 450 with the AI mag setup. The very one thing you can't find is a inexpensive std 6 mm Rem, collector's gobbled up all the 700's ,788's,600's, 660's, m77r's. Folks know they shoot and don't get rid of them. Which brings us to the Grice limited run . At $399 each + tax otd. Better yet is when you walk into your LGS see 1 of those Grices used with less than a box thru it for $335+ tax otd. Which is where I was yesterday. And yeah they do shoot. MB
I was a huge 6MM Remington fan for years. Shot great with bullets up to Speer's 105 gr. flat based bullet. The last one I had was on a M98 Mauser action until the barrel wore out and I rebarreled to 270 Win. This was before everyone was drooling over BC numbers and instead actually shot things with drab flat based spitzers and they died without crying about not being shot with a boat tailed bullet.
Ha ha Rickt you and I must belong to the same generation. I see in the last Nosler reloading manual the 95 grain NBT and a max dose of Rl-22 will still get over 3200 fps,looks like a superb antelope load waiting to happen. MB
I wouldn't really want the Ruger unless it was a model 77 but maybe someday I will build another 6MM Remington.
Rick , I had a M77R it was nice looking and working as well as being the most inconsistent accuracy wise rifle I ever owned. Thinking back on it a new barrel would have been the cure. MB
I have two presently, a 270 and a 257 Roberts. Took forever to get the 257 right but the 270 is a solid better than MOA rifle and was from the start. The 257 finally settled down and shoots almost as well as the 270. A long time ago I got caught up in the messy business of culling some deer off of a ranch. The Biologists said we needed to remove 200 deer! I used my 6MM Remington on around 50 using Hornady's 100 gr. BTSP. Everything was closer than 200 yards and the deer were small and suffering from malnutrition and related diseases. I shot everything either in the shoulder or in the neck and every deer dropped in place. Doesn't prove much but that bullet was very destructive on those under 100 pound deer. They were all so poor you wouldn't think of eating them anyway. I am in the throes of ordering a barrel for a short actioned Remington and trying to figure out what a 6MM Creedmoor could do better than a 6MM Remington. I won't shoot any of the longer bullets but may use the 105 gr. Hornady HPBT some. Seemed that the 6MM Remington actually got pretty good barrel life, better than the 243 maybe.
I am in about the same place ,no culling experience but over the last 40 years I've piled up the antelope and more than a few deer.95+% of the antelope were dbl lung shots and 100 gr Hornady SP flatbase was a staple I used a lot of, I felt then and still do that they held together better than the boattails . I also used 100 gr Corelokts,95 gr & 100 gr NPT's. My old 243 is about ready to be rebarreled and I'm thinking 6 Creed although it would be less expensive to just buy a new Ruger in 6 Creed. So with a chance at a almost new 6mm Rem for $335 I jumped on it. 3 or 4 weeks back I got in on the SPS 95 gr NBT run of seconds. Far as I'm concerned 243 /6mm are damn near perfect for antelope at normal hunting ranges.. MB
$335. Hmmmm The barrel I am going to order will cost me that but the action needs one and I have to choose. It seems the best option since Criterion does not offer 6MM Rem as an option is the 6 Creedmoor. At the gunshow I went to Sunday I saw no 6MM Remington ammo but at least ten boxes of 6MM Creedmoor. It is going to be a coyote rifle mostly and any of the chamberings will work fine.
The thing was I have 6mm Rem dies and 250 rds of brass ,if it wasn't for that I would have bought the 6 creed without over thinking it and might yet they do have a damn short magazine 2.76". Stick usually is right on what works both my 700 and m7 243's have 1 in 9 twists I have a 105 speer load that works as well as a 105 gr A max load that works with 1 in 9 so this 6 with the same should work as well but in case it don't I picked up some 105 hpbt hornady to work with. Mb
Bought my son a rap in 6mmCR. 103s is all he’s had and it shoots sub MOA. Have a few boxes to reload but not to that point yet.

I always wanted the limited run 260 rem they had.
I have owned a Ruger 77 Tang gun in 6MM over thirty years now! Someone forgot to tell that gun it couldn't shoot 105 Speers. Cause it shoots the RN & Semi spitzers JUST FINE!!

Love these newbies run to some online scale of yae/Nae and tell ya nope cause they so knowledgeable from Shooting for decades. wink

Just like my ol 1:12 223 that shoots 62g surplus under MOA. But on line calculators say NOPE 55g tops!

Im enjoying the heck outta 270/280g cast in my 350
legend SUBSONIC!! I get just a hint of a tail wag but its aslo shooting A repeatable 2 moa for me. PLENTY good for a subsonic caliber.

CW
Bump
I remember that run of 6mm Ruger American Predators well, as I was looking for a repeater in that chambering to go with my single-shot Cooper M22 at the time. Pretty sure the only new ones I saw for sale were by gun dealer Elk County Ammo and Arms, located in the same area as Grice’s (although I believe Grice did once offer a special run of pencil-barreled Remington 700s in blue laminated stocks.) That Ruger also came with an AR-style mag; not sure if it was modified or what length of cartridge that would have permitted.
I really like the 6mm Rem more than I do the 243 Win. but brass and ammo are way harder to find than the 243 Win. If I were buying today, I would go with the 6mm CM due to ammo and brass.
© 24hourcampfire