Home
Looking for opinions as to why Browning X-Bolt rifles don't sell as well as a lot of their competitors? I'm basing the perceived lack of sales on observation only - no hard numbers to back me up. I just don't see many X-Bolts at the range, in the field and none of the guys I've hunted with own one.
I bought an A-Bolt Medallion 30/06 with a 4X12 Redfield scope for 300 usd on Saturday. I see nothing wrong with them.
The entire states of AL, MS, and LA love their Browning rifles. I’ve seen more in those states than probably the rest of the US combined.
Last year I bought an X-Bolt Medallion in 300 H&H. I love the rifle. It seems like everyone around here is sporting a Browning logo on the back of their truck. Most deer hunters I know are partial to Savages and Remington synthetics.
Originally Posted by slammer
Looking for opinions as to why Browning X-Bolt rifles don't sell as well as a lot of their competitors? I'm basing the perceived lack of sales on observation only - no hard numbers to back me up. I just don't see many X-Bolts at the range, in the field and none of the guys I've hunted with own one.
.................There could be a few things. And I could be wrong on one of them, some of them or all of them and list them in no particular order.

1) Imo, Browning X bolts are not the first bolt action rifles that come to mind when people are looking to purchase a new or used bolt action rifle. Winchesters, Remingtons, Rugers, maybe Savages and a few others or more likely to come to mind. The Win Model 70s and the Rem 700s have ruled the roost for many decades.

2) Personal tastes? Possible the X Bolts may not appeal to most? Hard to understand that imo because I find them very appealing...

3) Price points? I do not know. Just throwing that one out there. Folks looking at a maybe $600-$700 and lower price points don't think of Browning X bolts imo. They associate Brownings at higher price points.

4) Bolt handle dislike? I have read that on a few threads. I don't mind them personally.

5) Trigger issues? Of the friends X bolts that I have fired, I have no issues with the triggers. But, that is me. But if someone wants to modify the trigger pull I think you have some work to do? Not externally adjustable?

6) Competition from other brands....Not only from Winchester, Remington, Ruger, Savages but also from Weatherby, the growing popularity of Bergara, and many more competitors.

7) Parts interchangability? For example if one owns a Bergara rifle, and if you want to switch over to anything Remington, you can.

8) Action popularity? The CRFs from Winchester and Ruger. You don't hear of or at least I don't, a custom build based on a Browning action? Perhaps similar copies.

I believe the Browning X bolts to be very fine rifles. They have modified their twist rates in a few long range chamberings so that the longer and heavier bullets can be better stabilized at extended ranges. Would not hesitate in the least if I were in the market for a new rifle. But then again, I am becoming a very good fan of the Bergara Premier line. So that is where the competition part of this entire discussion comes in to play.
#9 which I just thought of and see that it was mentioned.............Geographic location. Brownings more popular in some states than in others? Very possible.
Made in Japan ?
The problem I have with Browning is only with that emblem, it's seemingly plastered on every trailertrash bitches beat-up car and tattooed on her as a tramp stamp.
I have been told by LGS owners that Browning isn’t selling AS many rifles as
Logo STICKERS. People like Buck Heads.

Jerry
Originally Posted by AU7MM08
The problem I have with Browning is only with that emblem, it's seemingly plastered on every trailertrash bitches beat-up car and tattooed on her as a tramp stamp.

Amen to that. That logo is everywhere but I suspect 90% of the people wearing it or displaying it on their truck don't own a Browning rifle.
Originally Posted by slammer
Originally Posted by AU7MM08

Amen to that. That logo is everywhere but I suspect 90% of the people wearing it or displaying it on their truck don't own a Browning rifle.

I have the sticker on my truck and I have an X-bolt 375 H&H and an A-bolt 7mm mag.
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig
The entire states of AL, MS, and LA love their Browning rifles. I’ve seen more in those states than probably the rest of the US combined.

This is very true. If you go in a gunshop in MS, there will be a large browning showing. IMO, it dates back to our grandfathers love for original Belgium made A5’s and the BAR. In the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, and into the 90’s running dogs for deer was the most accepted way to deer hunt. I have seen a handful of Model 70’s in/on dealers racks. Remington 700s and Ruger 77s used to be second to browning but now I’d say Ruger Americans are 2nd most common rifle for sale in my area of the state.
I have a Browning X-Bolt in 26 Nosler. I have not hunted it, nor worked up a load for it. I’ve run a couple of boxes of factory ammo and it shoots just fine. I especially like the 4 screw pattern for mounting scope bases on it. I Put in an M-Carbro trigger spring. Super easy to do, and the trigger is now real nice.

Funny thing: you never hear anyone compliment, or cuss, the accuracy of a Browning. And, I’ve never heard of anyone doing an accuracy job on a Browning. Maybe the primary market for Brownings are people that just buy a rifle and then hunt it, and don’t spend anytime jabbering on hunting or rifle forums.
The southern states love the 7mm Rem mag too!
Originally Posted by moosemike
The southern states love the 7mm Rem mag too!

Absolutely! My father has a BAR he bought in 79 in 7mm Rem Mag and he believed it was pure magic on deer. He quit deer hunting 10-15 years ago and, as a matter of fact, I don’t think he ever bought another new rifle after it. The only other rifle he hunted was a Ruger M77 in 7 mag and it only a handful of times.
My hunting hat has an R on it.
Originally Posted by DollarShort
My hunting hat has an R on it.

Mine has Two R's, Shiloh ShaRps Rifles! grin
Because they look like some sort of pimp gun or Weatherby knock-off from 1969?? The gold-filled Buck mark?? The stock that has 2-3 coats too many of polyurethane?? The high polish blue that is just a little too much “high polish”??

Maybe I’m just thinking back on the old A Bolts, and I am sure there are plenty that are more subdued, but there are just so many that look like they ought to have a sling made of full-quill ostrich leather, and a stock with abalone inlays...
Several years ago I was in PENN and walked into a gun shop and they Browning Abolts in 284 WIN and 358 WIN. I believe they were a limited run for Grice's in Clearfield I dont think they sold awhole lot of them.
Because they need 8 screws to hold scope bases to the receiver?
The logo is every where
I've owned both A-Bolts and now three X-bolts.

[Linked Image from i38.photobucket.com]

Works for me!

270 WSM

26 Nosler , Hell's Canyon Speed Long Range is a hammer!

Browning Max Long Range, 6.5 PRC

Animals did not co-operate on its maiden outing, but I think it will be fine!

100 yd. zero, 200 yds.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Smilin' n' dialin @ 300.

The trigger pull weights could be better, but what the hey!

ya!

GWB

And Georgia
I always liked the stainless stalker and the micro midas
I’ve got two that I’m very happy with. A .280 and a .25-06, both Stainless Stalkers. Have done nothing but adjust down the pull weight of the triggers. I think they are a lot like a higher priced Tikka in that they generally shoot very well and need little to nothing done to them. That may be why they get less attention from loonies that like to tinker. Also the Made in Japan thing may play a role.
I enjoy my browning xbolt because of the operating ergonomics that work well sitting in the stand or making a drive.

ts similar to my old ruger 77 tang safety ruger, but now I have a composite SS rifle for the rainy days

I have not had to work on it like my remington 700 rifle...
And it doesn't ooze cheap like many savages

Matter of fact I bought the browning on clearance in a small town hardware store because it was well above the save price point and the browning sat there.
One of the major gun dealers here (Scheels) has a nice large display of Browning X-bolts. Out of probably two dozen rifles there are only 6.5 Creedmoors and 300 Win Mags. There may be one 7mm and one 6.5 PRC. Jeez, finding a good 7-08 anymore is like pulling teeth. Now that I think of it, they have a large selection of Bergaras, Seekins, Christianso Arms, Coopers and Brownings and I don't think there is a 7mm-08, 270, 30-06 or 308 among them.

Anyway, I think the Hells Canyon in 7mm-08 will find its way in to my collection as soon as I can come across a good deal on a used one. It will be either that or an X-bolt pro. I'll bet if I stumble across Big Foot riding a unicorn, he will be carrying a Hell's Canyon in 7/08.
The barrels are apparently very difficult or impossible to remove on an x-bolt. Read somewhere it will tear the threads out of the receiver.

Like that they have three different size receivers though.
I have a X-bolt Pro Tungsten with the Carbon stock in 6.5 Creedmoor ... its my 1st Browning and it seems like a solid shooter with good build quality. It’s a great carry rifle with it being lighter in weight than most others I have.
At my age, "getting lucky" has become more like walking from one room into another and remembering why I did.

Don't get old!

Anywho, almost forgot about the Browning Hells Canyon that followed me home two weeks ago. Did a trade and this was part.

Chambered for the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Rifle came with the scope, so I took it straight to the range, did not bother to zero at 25 yds.

Shot these three groups @ 100 yds. Three different bullets/loads.

Think I'll do the 130 Accubonds. Cold bore shot close to the dot is after adjustment w/ the 130's.

It just may be a keeper.
I like them. Seems people buying most of the used guns only want cheap stuff. They know they can get a .270 for $300 and anything more than that they wont spend. So they buy Americans, Axis & SPS etc.
Originally Posted by geedubya
At my age, "getting lucky" has become more like walking from one room into another and remembering why I did.

Don't get old!

Anywho, almost forgot about the Browning Hells Canyon that followed me home two weeks ago. Did a trade and this was part.

Chambered for the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Rifle came with the scope, so I took it straight to the range, did not bother to zero at 25 yds.

Shot these three groups @ 100 yds. Three different bullets/loads.

Think I'll do the 130 Accubonds. Cold bore shot close to the dot is after adjustment w/ the 130's.

It just may be a keeper.

I have two xbolts and what I like is what's shown in your target photo. Both rifle shoot multiple loads very well and print them in the same spot.
I've had other rifles that would move the poi quite a bit with any change to the load.

O e of them happens to be a 7mm rem mag and I do live in the South.
I do not own a bit of buck mark marketing propaganda.
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
One of the major gun dealers here (Scheels) has a nice large display of Browning X-bolts. Out of probably two dozen rifles there are only 6.5 Creedmoors and 300 Win Mags. There may be one 7mm and one 6.5 PRC. Jeez, finding a good 7-08 anymore is like pulling teeth. Now that I think of it, they have a large selection of Bergaras, Seekins, Christianso Arms, Coopers and Brownings and I don't think there is a 7mm-08, 270, 30-06 or 308 among them.

Anyway, I think the Hells Canyon in 7mm-08 will find its way in to my collection as soon as I can come across a good deal on a used one. It will be either that or an X-bolt pro. I'll bet if I stumble across Big Foot riding a unicorn, he will be carrying a Hell's Canyon in 7/08.

I've owned a number of A-Bolts,

My oldest with a Browning A-Bolt in 300 Win Mag.

but my favorite is a "tricked" Micro Medallion chambered for the 7mm-08.

Hard to recollect how many critters I've taken with that rig

ya!

GWB
I have a .22-250 X Bolt that shoots really well. Unfortunately, the plastic stock on it has damn near turned into goo. It sticks to absolutely everything. Been looking for a replacement and will probably get a Boyd's. Not much in the way of aftermarket choices for it.
They are a good rifle, but if you ever have to replace the barrel.... that could be a problem
I have a stainless A-Bolt II in 6.5 Swede and 2 stainless X-Bolts in .223 and 30-06. I like them because, kind of like Tikka's, you just take them out of the box, add ammo (and scope) and hunt. All are well under M.O.A shooters. RJ
I’ve seen a few up here in AK, one of my buddies has an older stainless xbolt and that’s his only rifle. He brings home meat every year with his best up old Lund and his browning.
They don't appear to be all that popular down here either, just a lack of marketing I think. People don't know what they are missing out on. I've only got one X-bolt but really need a few more. Accuracy is just outstanding for such a light rifle. I have one in 325WSM but feel like I need another in a 6.5 of some sort.
No X-bolt, but have an A-bolt Medallion for some years and yes I'm in the south in Louisiana. I was about about 16 and my dad and I went to the local gun shop and was looking. When the owner opened the box and I saw the engravings and that wood stock, DONE. And yes as someone mentioned about southern states, it was a 7mag. I did however went in with the intention of 30-06, but was sold out so the 7mm mag took down deer for many many year until recently I picked up a Tikka in 308. I still use it from time to time but not as much. It does have the Boss on it, 1st year they came out. It is now the Queen of my safe and gets used on an as needed basis.

Not a lot of people like the floor plate design of the A-bolt back then. Hinged floor plate with detachable mag. I personally liked it. Clean look on the outside but allowed for a removable mag. I never had a single issue with it as far as trigger, shooting or anything. I do see now that there are offerings for trigger springs and I may try that just to see. I'm not sure about the X-bolt, however the A-bolt's recoil pad felt like it was made of granite. Hard as [bleep]. I have sinced replaced it with a limbsaver and its much better now. Mine was bedded in the wood stock originally from factory. I didn't know this till many years later when I completely tore it apart to check some things out. All in all, southern states or not, it was a shooter and still is. Its just my shoulder with the issues I have can't take the recoil as much as I would like anymore.
I don’t shoot Brownings because that’s all my father in law buys ! Is that a good enough reason? Lol
The stigma is a carry over from the Aborts. To many MIM parts and lack of aftermarket part availability.
Originally Posted by TheBigSky

I've owned a number of A-Bolts,

but my favorite is a "tricked" Micro Medallion chambered for the 7mm-08.

Hard to recollect how many critters I've taken with that rig

I too have one of those in the left hand version. I bought it for my left-eye dominant daughter when she was twelve. She turns 25 next month and is still hunting every year with it and with me. She usually takes a bigger buck than me. That A-bolt Micro Medallion has been one of the most accurate and reliable guns I own.
While I think they're probably excellent rifles in most ways, they simply don't appeal to my taste visually. That huge bottom metal thingy is IMO, pretty hideous. They're also pretty pricey.

By all means, if you like them, buy one and don't worry about what the other kids say.
My son in law has one. He likes it!
One of the things I like about the X-Bolts if the fact that the Synthetic stock models come with a very good stiff stock. Other than the "get sticky" Dura-touch coating, they are great stocks. I stripped the sticky crap off of mine and did sponge camo paint jobs on them. when I'm doing driven game hunts, I like using a red dot (Ultra-Dot), on the 30-06. It weighs 7 pounds, 2 ounces as pictured. The ,223 has a Leipold FX-2 6x36 and it weighs 7 pounds 1/2 ounce. RJ
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Nice work!
I don't like the "Euro" lines of the Browning rifles. Looks like a Tikka knock-off. frown

Other than that, my only gripe is the triggers. I'm used to a 4-6 ounce trigger on my precision rifles which pretty much means Remington footprint for the aftermarket parts.

Tom
Originally Posted by Sixpack

This is very true. If you go in a gunshop in MS, there will be a large browning showing. IMO, it dates back to our grandfathers love for original Belgium made A5’s and the BAR. In the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, and into the 90’s running dogs for deer was the most accepted way to deer hunt. I have seen a handful of Model 70’s in/on dealers racks. Remington 700s and Ruger 77s used to be second to browning but now I’d say Ruger Americans are 2nd most common rifle for sale in my area of the state.

^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^when I first started hunting over in AR with brothers in law and there buds I never saw so many BAR's and BLR's in my life, OR heard as much damn shooting, those guys run dogs in SW Arkansas, holy damn do they put lead in the air! laugh

I spent the first weekend with them walking around by myself staying below ridgeline hollering WTF!!!!! ; ]
I have a few A-Bolts & 1 X-Bolt, I like them. Some have the lighter Timney trigger spring.

I’m not a big Savage guy, though have an older 110. Not smitten by Remington either, though one Model 7 and a heavily customized 22-250 on a 700 action.

I have a few Model 70’s, a few Sakos, then an older Model 77.

No sense in all of us carrying the same rifle, variety is good.
That's like a whole other country down there, isn't it Gunner?
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
That's like a whole other country down there, isn't it Gunner?

Good Lord You better know it Sig, I'm a slip arounder one shot-er, holy crap those guys have some shoot em ups down that way! laugh
Originally Posted by CWT

And Georgia

And Florida also. They are popular with the few folks that are from here anyway. Pretty sure my daughter is going to get an x-bolt micro midas left hand in 243 for her high school graduation present in a few months.
Originally Posted by sourdough44
I have a few A-Bolts & 1 X-Bolt, I like them. Some have the lighter Timney trigger spring.

I’m not a big Savage guy, though have an older 110. Not smitten by Remington either, though one Model 7 and a heavily customized 22-250 on a 700 action.

10/4 on that!!

Browning B-78, 300 H&H

Browning High Wall, 45-70

Browning High Wall, 454 Casul

Winchester High Wall, 270 WSM (not Browning)

Browning High Wall, 30-06 Springfield

ya!

GWB
Originally Posted by gunner500

I spent the first weekend with them walking around by myself staying below ridgeline hollering WTF!!!!! ; ]

LMAO.
I don't have any, but the one thing I've noted is that Browning doesn't jack around when a new cartridge is introduced, they're busy chambering one or more of their models for it. 6.5 Creed,26 &28 Nosler, the PRC's etc. You name it , their on it. Rem ,WW, Ruger all ways jerk their meat into forever on carts they don't bring out. Dumb F**ks. my line of thought...……….YMMV MB
I bought a Hells Canyon long range with the McM stock. I sighted it in at 100 yards, chronographed the velocity, ran it in a program and shot steel at 550 yards. 6.5 Creedmoor and factory ammo.

Hard to complain with that out of the box accuracy.

I recently put a Timney trigger in it. The trigger did need improvement.
No! You can't blame your father in law on Browning...LOL!
As for being Made in Japan goes, my Citori was made there and it displays a high degree of quality and fit and finish. Nothing in the world wrong with guns made in Japan. I also have a Howa 1500 that's as high of quality as any gun I own. And modern Japanese steels are as high quality as there is.
I like the Xbolts better than the Abolts
Originally Posted by SKane

LMAO.

Damn dogs howling, bullets flying, and cold beers back at the truck with each truck seat and dash covered with boxes and boxes of Remington core-lokt ammunition! laugh

those boys have a hell of a time a camp!
Originally Posted by DollarShort
The barrels are apparently very difficult or impossible to remove on an x-bolt. Read somewhere it will tear the threads out of the receiver.

Like that they have three different size receivers though.

I think that's a myth that carried over from the A-Bolts, I had my smith cut and thread my Montana and X-Bolt at the same time, he said pulling the barrel on the X-Bolt was no big deal and that the Kimber was much more difficult.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

I like my stainless stalker, the ergonomics are good, I like the safety setup and it shoots multiple loads very well. Groups also open up less when hot than any sporter weight I've ever had. You do see Buckmark stickers on tons of trucks down south, they're pretty popular down there.
Browning became THE go to in the south, for a semiauto or O/U, for a status symbol or ‘higher end’ shotgun or rifle, way back when....at least from what I’ve seen. Remington going downhill in quality (especially shotguns) just compounded it. Those that get their feelings hurt by the emblem, probably run hipoints when nobody is looking. wink Browning has never been a bolt rifle player to the level of Remington and Winchester, but they built better semi-auto anything than the rest, and cornered the O/U market. I’ve debated trying an Xbolt, but I’ve never really taken issue with the Abolt.....though I always preferred M70/700 stuff for bolt guns. There’s a lot to like about the xbolt, on paper. Most durable, reliable SA shotgun ever built is still the Auto 5.

LMAO.

Damn dogs howling, bullets flying, and cold beers back at the truck with each truck seat and dash covered with boxes and boxes of Remington core-lokt ammunition! laugh

We don’t use rifles but shotguns for our hound hunts down here and I’ll tell you what, I’ve heard less gunfire amongst the the old Taliban than you heard from our group when the deer starting coming up the line. Not my favorite way to hunt but it is a lot of fun when the dogs are running well. grin
Funny stuff. Yes I was on a few hound deer hunts in MS, behind a tree was a good safety measure. I had buckshot hitting the brush behind me from the guy next door.
Originally Posted by beretzs

LMAO.

We don’t use rifles but shotguns for our hound hunts down here and I’ll tell you what, I’ve heard less gunfire amongst the the old Taliban than you heard from our group when the deer starting coming up the line. Not my favorite way to hunt but it is a lot of fun when the dogs are running well. grin

All them extra shots are just to wake everybody up and get them exited.
Originally Posted by sourdough44

10/4 on that!!

Browning B-78, 300 H&H

Browning High Wall, 45-70

Browning High Wall, 454 Casul

Winchester High Wall, 270 WSM (not Browning)

Browning High Wall, 30-06 Springfield

ya!

GWB

Great knife BTW. Puma skinner is my personal favorite field knife.
Originally Posted by fldoghunter

LMAO.

LOL beretzs, I bet, never any danger of nodding off on hunts like those ; ]

FLDH, I can guarantee you I was wide awake and headed for cover, I quit counting at 50 rounds fired that morning, those guys have that whole 800 acres covered with 308 and 243 RP brass. cool
I love any rifle with a receiver that is beer can aluminum thin. I mean they needed 4 holes in the base mounts to keep them on there. grin
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I love any rifle with a receiver that is beer can aluminum thin. I mean they needed 4 holes in the base mounts to keep them on there. grin

You don't sound very familiar with X-Bolts. I should share a picture so you could at least say you saw one. Laffin.

LMAO.

FLDH, I can guarantee you I was wide awake and headed for cover, I quit counting at 50 rounds fired that morning, those guys have that whole 800 acres covered with 308 and 243 RP brass. cool

It's actually a ton of fun and we set up pretty safely but man oh man, do those auto's put out some rounds pretty quick!

You don't sound very familiar with X-Bolts. I should share a picture so you could at least say you saw one. Laffin.

I have owned two of them , Laffin. Measure the thickness of the rear bridge and compare it to other rifles and get back to me.

I have owned two of them , Laffin. Measure the thickness of the rear bridge and compare it to other rifles and get back to me.

.090"

Perhaps I should put up a picture of a beer can. You don't sound very familiar with those.

LMAO.

It's actually a ton of fun and we set up pretty safely but man oh man, do those auto's put out some rounds pretty quick!

It is a blast, after the race, and dead deer back at the trucks at the low water bridge dressing spot, all the BAR guys are re-filling their extra mags they keep in coat pockets, the BLR guys are restocking those nylon buttstock sleeves with fresh ammo! grin I'm walking around still shaking my head with a Sharps or scoped bolt rifle and haven't fired a damn shot.

.090"

Perhaps I should put up a picture of a beer can. You don't sound very familiar with those.

I am trying to forget ownership of the two I had, don't call me a liar internet jackass. 4 holes to hold the mount in place, they are there for a reason. You obviously are too dense to comprehend this.
Oldelkhunter,

I understand the point you are making about the thinness of the top of the receiver, But, it has nothing to do about the 4 holes to attach a scope base or the strength /safety of the action. The X-Bolt is a 3 lug design and the very top of the receiver scope mount surfaces is thin because that is where one of the 3 lug race ways is machined. It is too thin to drill and tap for conventional 2 screw mount set-up, but plenty strong for a non stressed part of the receiver. There is plenty of thickness on the sides of the receiver for scope mount screws, hence the 4 screw scope base mount pattern. Also, the threaded part of the receiver that accepts the barrel shank is the same thickness (where it needs to be), as other modern bolt actions. RJ
Originally Posted by rj308
Oldelkhunter,

I understand the point you are making about the thinness of the top of the receiver, But, it has nothing to do about the 4 holes to attach a scope base or the strength /safety of the action. The X-Bolt is a 3 lug design and the very top of the receiver scope mount surfaces is thin because that is where one of the 3 lug race ways is machined. It is too thin to drill and tap for conventional 2 screw mount set-up, but plenty strong for a non stressed part of the receiver. There is plenty of thickness on the sides of the receiver for scope mount screws, hence the 4 screw scope base mount pattern. Also, the threaded part of the receiver that accepts the barrel shank is the same thickness (where it needs to be), as other modern bolt actions. RJ

My point exactly you need 4 screws to hold a mount correctly on the rear bridge. It is too thin for my likes, you could not give me another one. The trigger is a no go , if there is one good thing about an Xbolt it is the magazine. It is a good design. Bolt is field strippable(if you know what you are doing) but there are better designs.
Why would you want to drill and tap the thin part if you have thick parts on both sides. Browning could have just used one screw on each side and the base would be attached just as good as a base attached with 2 screws on a Remington or Winchester. You hear people bitching about how scope bases are held onto a receiver "only by 2 little tiny (6-48) screws", and recommend re-drilling and tapping to 8-40 screws. The X-Bolt bases are held on by 4 6-48 screws, which is definitely stronger than 2. Like it or not, it's a good thing. RJ
Why would you want to drill and tap the thin part if you have thick parts on both sides. Browning could have just used one screw on each side and the base would be attached just as good as a base attached with 2 screws on a Remington or Winchester. You hear people bitching about how scope bases are held onto a receiver "only by 2 little tiny (6-48) screws", and recommend re-drilling and tapping to 8-40 screws. The X-Bolt bases are held on by 4 6-48 screws, which is definitely stronger than 2. Like it or not, it's a good thing. RJ

He's not smart enough to understand it. I mean he even said the trigger is a no go. My X-Bolt trigger is amazing. He believes he's had X-bolts before but he doesn't sound very well versed in them.

Buy what you like, its your money. Only browning rifle I would buy would be made in the early 60's.
I have a half dozen of them, three 300 WSM, 243, 7mm-08 and a 308. I wish I could find a 358 Winchester X-Bolt, that would be my holy grail of factory rifles.
Originally Posted by Darryle
I have a half dozen of them, three 300 WSM, 243, 7mm-08 and a 308. I wish I could find a 358 Winchester X-Bolt, that would be my holy grail of factory rifles.

I get it. I've owned somewhere around a hundred rifles over the years and I like this X-Bolt maybe more than any of them.

LMAO.

Most of us shoot shotguns with buckshot. We also won't let anyone hunt with us by theirselves until we trust them to know what's safe and what's not.
I've had an X-Bolt Stainless Stalker in 30-06 for a few years and I love it. I like the ergos of the stock, the Dura-Touch coating (or what ever they call it) helps me maintain a good grip, the tang safety is right where God intended it to be. I like the flush fitting detachable magazine better than the Tikkas and it holds one more round in the same cartridge. It's also been very accurate with just about everything I've fed it.
I traded a M70 Extreme Weather for it as I didn't like the B&C stock on the EW.

Buy what you like, its your money..

If everyone adopted this attitude, 90% of the squabbling on here would die.
Was the Xbolt offered in 358 WIN at any time?
Originally Posted by Jericho

No, but every year I wait for it to appear at shot show, I may find a 308 and have it rebarreled

Actually, yes, it was. Grice’s has had a couple of special runs of them made up over the years. They come up for sale from time to time. For one reason or another most were sold in PA and MI. Now you have to find one...good luck.
Always wanted to like the A-bolt then the X-bolt but the stock on the former fit me poorly and the latter only slightly better. You do plenty of them in 7mag down here in AL for sure.
Yep as Capt Craig stated Grices in Pa. had them in 358 Winchester. I picked up an X-bolt hunter from Grices a few years back chambered in 6.5 Swede which is a real shooter. My favorite Browning is an A-Bolt Micro Medallion in 257 Roberts. I haven't owned a Browning that wasn't accurate and that includes my BLRs. I own a lot of other rifles but the accuracy and the fit and finish of my Brownings is second to none.
Browning sells more of this junk than they do X-Bolts...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BROWNING-S...-on-Aluminum-License-Plate-/152629582202
Craig, are you sure it wasnt the Abolt they offered in 358 WIN?
Craig, are you sure it wasnt the Abolt they offered in 358 WIN?

I’ve seen both. The most recent ones were x-bolts for sure in both wood and synthetic. Grice had them on sale for a long time as they didn’t seem to sell well, even in PA. They turn up from time to time for sale. The other way to do it would be to pick up a short action 243 rifle and send it to JES for a rebore. That way you don’t have to search for one to come up for sale. You also might call Grice’s and see if they know of one or can locate one from a customer of theirs who might want to sell it.
Originally Posted by turkish
Because they need 8 screws to hold scope bases to the receiver?

Ten years ago, I recall a much more negative opinion of the X-bot than today. There was a lot more distrust of the X-bolt design, partly because of the release on the bolt handle. Definitely seems Rube Goldberg to some, myself included

And the shallow thread depth for the scope bases. I still see complaints about the 8-holes, and stripped threads.

Jason
I bought my first Browning rifle a couple of months ago. It's a Hells Canyon Speed Long Range McMillan, 6.5 CM. I have absolutely no complaints, other than the whole name of the thing is a mouthful! 😁.
The $300 & $400 dollar guns are beating it up, it looks and feels like one of them !!!
Well.. I love my xbolt. It's the nicest gun I've owned and the most accurate. I dont understand d the trigger gripes. I turned mine down and it's almost dangerously light to hunt with. No creep, nice and crisp. I really like it.

[Linked Image]

Attached picture PicsArt_02-08-09.00.42.jpg
Attached picture PicsArt_02-10-12.15.36.jpg
Originally Posted by gwg677
The $300 & $400 dollar guns are beating it up, it looks and feels like one of them !!!

Yeah you wish
I don’t dislike the x bolts in particular, but I’ve always felt that, thus far, the A-Bolt II was the pinnacle of A Bolt evolution.

I’ve had an A Bolt II SS .25-06 for the last 25 years. I’d not trade it for any brand spanking new X Bolt.
Originally Posted by Potsy
I don’t dislike the x bolts in particular, but I’ve always felt that, thus far, the A-Bolt II was the pinnacle of A Bolt evolution.

I’ve had an A Bolt II SS .25-06 for the last 25 years. I’d not trade it for any brand spanking new X Bolt.

Why not? The Xbolt is an improved Abolt.
I believe the new abolt3 has both a plastic trigger and plastic trigger guard. Am I correct in that the abolt 2 has a metal trigger and trigger guard, like the xbolt. Thanks
Originally Posted by Musicianized

Yeah you wish

Yeah he doesnt have a clue.
Originally Posted by hotsoup
I believe the new abolt3 has both a plastic trigger and plastic trigger guard. Am I correct in that the abolt 2 has a metal trigger and trigger guard, like the xbolt. Thanks

You are correct

Lets not go crazy here, it is a well made firearm.
I’ve had a 7mm Abolt SS for 30 years. Killed awful amount of animals with. MOA out to 500 yards, that’s as far as I shoot. Just too easy to get along with, it likes whatever I feed it. Best trigger on any gun I own. I’ve always joked about it being made out of Coors beer cans. Maybe so. Kind of like driving a Dodge truck, your friends won’t ride you.
I was wondering the same thing several years ago as Browning’s aesthetics and handling seem nice.

I asked a fairly reputable gunsmith the same question...why no love...He said it is largely due to the thread pitch on the barrel/action and the complexity of the trigger design. He mentioned that the thread pitch was very fine and would often gall when a barrel was attempted to be removed thus making rebarreling difficult/risky.

The above was his opinion as to why there are very few aftermarket parts and you don’t see many Smith’s doing customs based on a browning action.....no love...

He said that a Browning was a “hunters” rifle, not a “shooters” rifle. He was no being condescending but only implying that a hunter doesn’t typically put enough rounds down range to worry about ever rebarelling.

I never vetted this out but it made sense to me...
I have had an X Bolt stainless stalker for a couple of years now and a couple of random observations;

Ergonomics just fit, the rifle just feels better when I shoulder it. The 3 lug bolt lift is nice compared to the 90 degree 700's and 70's that I am used to. Tang safety a plus. Slight swell on the RH side feels good in the hand. Slender fore end is a good thing.

Receiver has been pared down as mentioned earlier to save weight, probably not the best candidate for a heavy tube given the architecture.

Aftermarket support is not very extensive, does anyone re barrel these things?

The rifle is a good, but not exceptional shooter.

Detachable magazine on this rifle is very good compared to some of the hunting style rifles on the market. I touch the lands and still have much COL left in the mag.

Like the previous 5 Browning/Miroku products I have bought the rifle doesn't have the small quality blemishes that are seen on some of the other brands commonly available. Kinda like Japanese motorcycles, extremely proficient just completely lacking in soul.
McGowen re-barrels xbolts
Originally Posted by Southtex
I was wondering the same thing several years ago as Browning’s aesthetics and handling seem nice.

I asked a fairly reputable gunsmith the same question...why no love...He said it is largely due to the thread pitch on the barrel/action and the complexity of the trigger design. He mentioned that the thread pitch was very fine and would often gall when a barrel was attempted to be removed thus making rebarreling difficult/risky.

The above was his opinion as to why there are very few aftermarket parts and you don’t see many Smith’s doing customs based on a browning action.....no love...

He said that a Browning was a “hunters” rifle, not a “shooters” rifle. He was no being condescending but only implying that a hunter doesn’t typically put enough rounds down range to worry about ever rebarelling.

I never vetted this out but it made sense to me...

Fair enough.

I've thought about it, and I'm inclined to agree. I've had an A-Bolt II Stainless Stalker in .30/06 nearly as long, and while the X-Bolt seems a nice enough rifle I I think I'll stay with its predecessor. It is light, handy, I like the looks and feel of it, and it is very accurate - about the most accurate rifle I own in fact, and there's a fair bit of competition.
I have a new AB3 I took in a trade. Didnt really want it and I was eager to move it but I had to shoot it. Plastic trigger and trigger guard. Half plastic magazine but it shoots amazing. I can't bring myself to list it thus far.
Only two things that have kept me away, they cost more than Tikka and don't look as good.

Does the X-bolt have a plastic injection molded stock or does Browning still use B&C stocks?
Originally Posted by Whiptail

Does the X-bolt have a plastic injection molded stock or does Browning still use B&C stocks?

Depending on the model, they are injection molded, they do offer some premium versions like the X-Bolt Target McMillan A3-5 and the X-Bolt Pro which is Carbon over foam
Originally Posted by dan_oz

I've thought about it, and I'm inclined to agree. I've had an A-Bolt II Stainless Stalker in .30/06 nearly as long, and while the X-Bolt seems a nice enough rifle I I think I'll stay with its predecessor. It is light, handy, I like the looks and feel of it, and it is very accurate - about the most accurate rifle I own in fact, and there's a fair bit of competition.

Bingo. I actually waited after the original A-Bolt came out and heard of the A-bolt II. Ended up waiting and picked up the Medallion in 1994. Bedded recoil lug and tang from factory in the wood stock. Shoots lights out.
Well.. I love my xbolt. It's the nicest gun I've owned and the most accurate. I dont understand d the trigger gripes. I turned mine down and it's almost dangerously light to hunt with. No creep, nice and crisp. I really like it.

[Linked Image]

Well, now you've done it...You actually own and shoot an X-Bolt and can speak to their attributes. smile
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

[Linked Image]

Well, now you've done it...You actually own and shoot an X-Bolt and can speak to their attributes. smile

Better than hearsay ey?
Some of it might be the perception of Browning as a premium brand. When I was a kid in Oklahoma in the 60s and 70s, blue-collar guys had Remingtons and Winchesters. The doctor, the dentist, and the lawyer had Brownings. Maybe Browning has managed to turn that into sales in the Southern states.

Okie John
My opinion. They are not worth the money.
Originally Posted by Bugger

Worth every penny I spent and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Actually Im about to buy another.

Worth every penny I spent and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Actually Im about to buy another.

I didnt respond to him because he didn't give any reasons for his opinion. Who knows if he ever even laid eyes on one?
I own a Browning X-Bolt, model is their Grey Synthetic, which I think is no longer made in that configuration. Caliber is .30-06, and it is an extremely accurate rifle, especially with 165 gr. Barnes TSX bullets. Mine has been used to take whitetail, and has been to Africa on a plains game hunt, as well as a couple of exotic game hunts here in the US. It performs flawlessly, is lightweight, and I really like the trigger. I had the plain grey stock painted by a member here on the 'Fire, which really dressed it up.
If I had to get rid of most of the rifles in my possession, this one would be one of the survivors.

I didnt respond to him because he didn't give any reasons for his opinion. Who knows if he ever even laid eyes on one?

... I probably should't have.
I love mine!

Stainless Xbolt, 3.5x10 Leupy w/B&C reticle, 300 WSM,190 gr Nos AB LR over 61.0 grains of H4350.

Velocity is ~2825.

Video of shot. Edited down to about 3 minutes of footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrfZzV7KV-8
Originally Posted by 66niteowl
Made in Japan ?

This.
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Made in Japan ?

This.

That does bother some people. The Japanese actually make top shelf stuff. We're not talking China.
I bought a 26 inch barreled stainless stalker in 7mm mag back in the day, 140gr first gen ballistic tips at 3425 fps, not a typo, extremely accurate deer BOMBS!.
Thanks for all the replies. Seems like the people that have had, or still have, X-bolts really like them. Accuracy and reliability are mentioned repeatedly. On the flip side, the people that don't like them choose not to buy them for a variety of reasons. I made the post to gather info as I'm seriously considering buying an X-bolt Pro Tungsten in 6.5 PRC - I like the 6.5 PRC cartridge and on the x-bolt like the barrel length, twist, short bolt travel and the tang safety.
It was the only available 26 inch barreled factory rifle short of WBY's to my knowledge back then, I had some 7828 and 140 BT's and needed to get to the far side of a 500 yard watermelon field as flat as I could. grin it worked, as did the big m-70 7mm stw I got next ; ]
Made in Japan ?

This.

That does bother some people. The Japanese actually make top shelf stuff. We're not talking China.

Yep, you’re right on both counts.
Made in Japan ?

This.

As compared to some of the absolute sheidt American gun companies are building?
I had a stainless 7mm-08 X-bolt and foolishly sold it last year. Still kicking myself for that. It shot little bitty groups with 120 TTSX and was a killing machine. Lightweight, good ergonomics, smooth action, good trigger. What was I thinking......?
Originally Posted by country_20boy
I had a stainless 7mm-08 X-bolt and foolishly sold it last year. Still kicking myself for that. It shot little bitty groups with 120 TTSX and was a killing machine. Lightweight, good ergonomics, smooth action, good trigger. What was I thinking......?

I had the same exact rifle, beautifully made , nice factory bedding and nice barrel crown. It was just OK in the accuracy department.
Apparently the Japs are pretty good at making guns.

Aparrently Japanese scopes are nice too

Japs build nice guitars too.

They take pride in their work compared to China.. and even some lazy ass Americans.
Apparently the Japs are pretty good at making guns.

Aparrently Japanese scopes are nice too

Japs build nice guitars too.

They take pride in their work compared to China.. and even some lazy ass Americans.

They've come a long ways since the Arisaka days.
I can remember when Japanese tools were absolutely junk, I found a set of Japanese Buffalo Tools wrenches my dad still had for some reason, these things make Harbor Freight look like Snap On
The Japanese have been making good guns for a looong time now. Nobody in their right mind would argue that the Browning Citori, A-5, SA-.22, Weatherby Vanguard and many others aren't darn good guns.
Whatever happened to Savage_99? He was always good for a lecture about not buying Japanese.
Whatever happened to Savage_99? He was always good for a lecture about not buying Japanese.

I'm pretty sure he died
Browning Rifles: You run into some outlandish complaints about Browning bolt action rifles. . My favorite has to do with the extractor. Easily broken? I fell heir to an A Bolt Medallion with detached extractor. The deal included a new extractor. I really need somebody to explain how you could break one these extractors. How did it get detached? My theory is that Bubba took the rifle apart and could not get it back together. With the same deal I got an A bolt Stainless Stalker in 300 WSM. Working up loads for this rifle as we speak. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that rifle. Point being "don't like" and "no good" get all mixed up in some people's head.

I did look at a X bolt in 7mm-08. I found the rifle to have a good feel. The rifle was light and well made One problem was the goop on the stock was very sticky. I don't know anything about the goop. I want no part of it. Seems like errors were made in applying the goop.. Browning, as I understand it, has had some real grief concerning the goop. There is no problem with the Stalker,. This sticky goop is not limited to Browning's. I'd have no problem buying an X bolt.
Browning Rifles: You run into some outlandish complaints about Browning bolt action rifles. . My favorite has to do with the extractor. Easily broken? I fell heir to an A Bolt Medallion with detached extractor. The deal included a new extractor. I really need somebody to explain how you could break one these extractors. How did it get detached? My theory is that Bubba took the rifle apart and could not get it back together. With the same deal I got an A bolt Stainless Stalker in 300 WSM. Working up loads for this rifle as we speak. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that rifle. Point being "don't like" and "no good" get all mixed up in some people's head.

I did looks at a X bolt in 7mm-08. I found the rifle to have a good feel. The rifle was light and well made One problem was the goop on the stock was very sticky. I don't know anything about the goop. I want no part of it. Seems like errors were made in application. Browning, as I understand it, has had some real grief concerning the goop. If on the Stalker, it's not sticky. This sticky goop is not limited to Browning's. I'd have no problem buying an X bolt.
Sticky goop on the stock? Huh? I guarantee you mine had no sticky goop anywhere on it.

It had some factory rust preventative on the metal.. much less than I've seen on some cheap savages etc..
Remingtons and Winchesters have traditionally been the platforms for custom rifles, that's changed these days with so many small business operations offering top quality actions. I've never heard or seen of a custom rifle built on a modern Browning. A smith I have used many times told me he won't put a barrel on a Browning for fear of twisting the receiver. It's my understanding they are made in a mold, much like a Ruger. They shoot fine and can be accurate so I'm not dogging them but I never cared for a receiver that was made by pouring hot steel into a mold. I know they call this "investment casting" but not my thing.
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Remingtons and Winchesters have traditionally been the platforms for custom rifles, that's changed these days with so many small business operations offering top quality actions. I've never heard or seen of a custom rifle built on a modern Browning. A smith I have used many times told me he won't put a barrel on a Browning for fear of twisting the receiver. It's my understanding they are made in a mold, much like a Ruger. They shoot fine and can be accurate so I'm not dogging them but I never cared for a receiver that was made by pouring hot steel into a mold. I know they call this "investment casting" but not my thing.

Browning's are not investment cast. If they are then they are the best made investment cast rifle on the market because they are cleanly machined.
https://postimg.cc/Js19GPHy
I keep thinking I need a light weight stalking rifle. I keep considering the browning x bolt. There is not much to gripe about on a x bolt of we’re talking about hunting rifles.
Sticky goop on the stock? Huh? I guarantee you mine had no sticky goop anywhere on it.

It had some factory rust preventative on the metal.. much less than I've seen on some cheap savages etc..
He's talking about the rubberized coating on the synthetic stocks which is quite well known to have been a problem by turning sticky after a time. They are also known for having feeding issues with the detachable magazines. A few minutes of research on the net is all it takes to find these things out.
Originally Posted by Blackheart

He's talking about the rubberized coating on the synthetic stocks which is quite well known to have been a problem by turning sticky after a time. They are also known for having feeding issues with the detachable magazines. A few minutes of research on the net is all it takes to find these things out.

I don't need to find anything out. I have no sticky [bleep], my scope mounts didn't strip out and my mag feeds perfectly. Must be a lemon. Oh and not to mention.. very sub moa.
Originally Posted by Blackheart

I don't need to find anything out. I have no sticky [bleep], my scope mounts didn't strip out and my mag feeds perfectly. Must be a lemon. Oh and not to mention.. very sub moa.
Works good for now anyway. Not all of the stocks get sticky and from what I gather it takes a few years for the ones that eventually do. Same for the mags. Some work fine right up until they don't. I don't really give a shyt one way or the other as I don't own one but there are other rifles out there for similar or less money with less frequent complaints/problems.
Lol I see more non-browning owners complaining about brownings than people that do own one. 🤷‍♂️
Lol I see more non-browning owners complaining about brownings than people that do own one. 🤷‍♂️

That's par for the course.

Absolutely! Yeah I've heard about the duratouch wearing badly and getting sticky. If that happens I'll strip it and paint it. All the while enjoying the sh$t out if my very accurate, reliable, easy to load for rifle.

My other xbolt has a walnut stock, to be frank, the finish scratches easily. Oh no now I'll have to strip it down and put a hand rubbed finish on it. There's no way I'll have fun doing that.....
Originally Posted by Bisley

Absolutely! Yeah I've heard about the duratouch wearing badly and getting sticky. If that happens I'll strip it and paint it. All the while enjoying the sh$t out if my very accurate, reliable, easy to load for rifle.

My other xbolt has a walnut stock, to be frank, the finish scratches easily. Oh no now I'll have to stop it down and put a hand rubbed finish on it. There's no way I'll have fun doing that.....
All that's perfectly fine. As for me, I think I'll just stick with my Tikka's and Weatherby Vaguard/Howa 1500's and not worry about them getting "sticky" or if /when my magazine is going to stop feeding.
Never heard of the mags going bad but what ever fits your narrative. I never liked the mold lines tikka's have, and the ergonomics aren't as good as the xbolt.
My buddy has a Browning Citori that had the DuraTouch finish on the stock and it got sticky. He called Browning customer service and they had him send the gun back to have the stock refinished at no charge. It took about 6 months to get the shotgun back but they did stand behind their product. The new finish was not DuraTouch but he was pleased with it. If anyone is having this problem it might be worth a call to Browning.
Originally Posted by Bisley
Never heard of the mags going bad but what ever fits your narrative. I never liked the mold lines tikka's have, and the ergonomics aren't as good as the xbolt.
Mold lines are easy to remove. Probably easier than sticky dura touch. Tikka's fit me fine, shoot great are dependable and I've killed alot of game them. I work on guns 40+ hours a week for a living and don't much care to work on my own anymore if I don't need to. If you haven't heard of x-bolt mag problems it's on you. Plenty of info out there on it for those not too lazy or convinced of x-bolt greatness to look for it.
My Brownings wear wood. No stickiness and no mag problems here.
I have the Duratouch on both an Xbolt and a Wicked Wing Maxus and no stickiness. Bisley, you just touched on a key word here..........ERGONOMICS. Does the rifle feel good when you shoulder it? Is it easy and intuitive to operate? This is where the Xbolt shines for me. It just feels better than the 700/70/77 and Steyr currently sitting in the rack next to it and can shoot as well as the other light barrel rifles I have. Just my thoughts.
https://postimg.cc/GHjfwGgb
https://postimg.cc/DJsCCXbk
Originally Posted by bartman
I have the Duratouch on both an Xbolt and a Wicked Wing Maxus and no stickiness. Bisley, you just touched on a key word here..........ERGONOMICS. Does the rifle feel good when you shoulder it? Is it easy and intuitive to operate? This is where the Xbolt shines for me. It just feels better than the 700/70/77 and Steyr currently sitting in the rack next to it and can shoot as well as the other light barrel rifles I have. Just my thoughts.

My xbolts point like a shotgun for me. I didn't like them at first because they didn't look like the classic 70/77/700. For some reason the 700s grip angle is all wrong for me.
After shouldering a few, and really wanting to buy a tikka t3 I could not look past the way the xbolt fit me. I'm no tikka hater by any means but they don't fit me as well and the mold lines look cheap and unfinished.

Blackheart- really I'd never heard of mag issues before you, I have heard of brass ejecting out and bouncing back in. However I think that was early wsm clamberings. So your a gunsmith? Maybe you don't like xbolt because they typically come out of the box shooting and handling well. They are not a tinkerers rifle, just not needed.
i'll admit my duratouch stock got sticky and a call to browning had it fixed in a little more than a month.

The only issue I had with a magazine was the replaced stock needed a shim washer to let the magazine latch engage more positvley. The magazines are well built in my opinion.

You can complain about having to send the rifle back for a new stock, but remington didnt stand behind their product when my 700 Mtn LSS laminate stock warped.

There are cheaper guns with Xbolt features like a ruger american, but my xbolt doesnt ooze cheap like the american or a savage. Of course it shouldnt for 2X the price, but Im just saying....

And NO I dont have a browning decal on my truck or any hats or tshirts either.
Originally Posted by humdinger
i'll admit my duratouch stock got sticky and a call to browning had it fixed in a little more than a month.

The only issue I had with a magazine was the replaced stock needed a shim washer to let the magazine latch engage more positvley. The magazines are well built in my opinion.

You can complain about having to send the rifle back for a new stock, but remington didnt stand behind their product when my 700 Mtn LSS laminate stock warped.

There are cheaper guns with Xbolt features like a ruger american, but my xbolt doesnt ooze cheap like the american or a savage. Of course it shouldnt for 2X the price, but Im just saying....

And NO I dont have a browning decal on my truck or any hats or tshirts either.

But I do! laugh
I was invited to elk camp down by Grand Junction in 2013 by a friend of mine from Alabama. All the guys were from Alabama and Mississippi and every rifle in the rack was a Browning A-Bolt or X-Bolt with Leupold scopes in one sort of short mag or another except my buddy’s 7mm Rem Mag. Those good ole boys sure love them some Brownings! My long barreled Mark V looked a bit out of place. No, it didn’t have a Leupold scope either! LOL! Happy Trails
I too, have X-Bolts and have never had or heard, (from any reliable source) of X=Bolt magazine problems. RJ
You can pick any make of gun or bullet or scope in the world and somebody is gonna hate it.
Good one. I always appreciate a good laugh.
I've never heard of the mag problems either, sounds like BS.

I've been through 4 Tikkas and still have the X-Bolt. Tikkas are fine, but the X-Bolt fits me better, handles recoil better, is a more consistent shooter on average (other than the CTR), and has a better safety setup IMO. Tikkas used to be the high value choice, they've gotten a good bit more expensive in recent years, but they are still usually a less than an X-Bolt, so there's that.
© 24hourcampfire