Home
Looking to have a rifle built in the next year or so. It's going to be a Model 70 action. I have my eye on a potential donor.

At first I was thinking .257Wby Mag. But .338 has had my attention for some reason. I don't need either one of them for anything particular. But I could see a use for each one certainly.

I'm thinking I'd want the .257 to be a bit lighter, easier to carry, walking around type rifle. Shooting across swamps or poking at deer out west.

The.338 would be an all around type rifle. Could be stand hunting WT deer, could be hunting thick stuff for snowshoe hairs. Neither would be at game further than 400 yds and hopefully...a lot closer. Which kinda leans .338 but I like both. laugh
Had a Ruger in 338 wm.
No thanks, too much recoil for me.
Have a Vanguard in 257 wm. Love it.
Nuff said...
I'll do the Campfire thing and suggest something you didn't ask about. Given your choice of cartridges I'll assume your donor is already set up for a belted mag diameter case. So how about a 264 mag with an 8" twist?
my vote would be for a 257 Weatherby Mag. i have built 4 of them all excellent deer rifles out to 700 yards for me. if i was hunting in Alaska or out west where grizzly bears are i would build a 338 Win Mag. then
I like the 338 Win a bunch. Great elk rifle for me and packs pretty decently as well. I usually shoot 200-210’s around 2950-3000 FPS. Works great for me. It’s not any better than a 300 Magnum but I like the rifle a lot and it’s comfortable to shoot for me. Between it and my 7mm Mashburn Super, they get the lions share of hunting for deer and elk.

A 257 Wby or similar would be pretty slick on a lightweight 70 as well. Tough choice.. I say build both grin
SS Classic M70 w/#3 Lilja @ 25" in a McMillan Classic w/Edge Fill and 4.5-14x40 A/O Leupold in Talley's weighs just a shade over 8# and is very "shootable" w/100's.
257 Weatherby in a light walking around rifle just doesn't add up in my pee brain. I would think it'd need a long heavy barrel to maximize the potential of all that powder.
DollarShort, I'm thinking the same thing. Actually, a good cross between a .257 WBY and a .338 WM would be either a .300 WBY or .300 Win. Mag. Or if you want something lighter a .325 WSM. which would give you a bit heavier bullet in a light easier recoiling rifle (easier recoiling than the two ,300s I mentioned or a .338 WM. Not so much a .257 WBY).
Originally Posted by DollarShort
257 Weatherby in a light walking around rifle just doesn't add up in my pee brain. I would think it'd need a long heavy barrel to maximize the potential of all that powder.

My 25" Lilja 1:10 3-groove runs 100's over 3600fps. Last time I chrono'd w/LabRadar I had an ES of 28fps and SD of 8fps. 100gn SGK and TSX run close enough POA/POI to use the SGK's for practice on steel out to 500.
Split the difference 7mm Rem mag . Those 2 cartridges are polar opposites.
Originally Posted by horse1
SS Classic M70 w/#3 Lilja @ 25" in a McMillan Classic w/Edge Fill and 4.5-14x40 A/O Leupold in Talley's weighs just a shade over 8# and is very "shootable" w/100's.

Similar to my .338.

SS Classic M70 w/factory bbl bobbed @ 23" in a McMillan Bridges w/Edge Fill and 2.5-8 Zeiss Conquest in Leupold DD weighs 7lb 14oz.

225 TSX at 2900.

I'm thinking about taking it to Alaska on a sheep/grizzly combo
Think about the projectiles.
One would be great with 250 woodleighs ☠️☠️
One would be great with 110 gr Accubond at ?3500? , also 💀 absolute laser
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

Similar to my .338.

SS Classic M70 w/factory bbl bobbed @ 23" in a McMillan Bridges w/Edge Fill and 2.5-8 Zeiss Conquest in Talley's LW weighs just a shade under 8#

225 TSX at 2900.

I'm thinking about taking it to Alaska on a sheep/grizzly combo

Interesting, I've got a SS Classic 300 WinMag that came with a BOSS. Cut/re-crowned @ 23" FL bedded in a standard fill McMillan Fwt pattern, 3-10x42 NF SHV in Talley's is just over 9#. I suppose ~ 1/2 of that difference is the difference in the scope weights.
Also has PT&G LW Oberndorff bottom metal, so theres a few ounces saved.

Thinking about replacing the DD with Talley LW and the Conquest with a Swarovski Z5 2.4-12x50 BT.

Should come in right at 8lb.
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Also has PT&G LW Oberndorff bottom metal, so theres a few ounces saved.

My 257 is a blind-belly w/AL trigger-guard which I much prefer but the internal boxes for blind bottom magnums are getting scarce. About have to find a magnum Winlight to rob the box out of it.
OP, I have thought many times about a 257 Roy on the M70.

From my research and what others have posted, including Mule Deer (IIRC), a 24" barrel is all you need.
The 338 Win Mag is somewhat specialized for optimum work on heavy game. Developed for Alaska and used extensively in Africa. Design was to offer more power than 30-06 and close to 375 H&H performance from a std long action chamber. It is a good one but unnecessarily powerful unless hunting large game animals.

The 257 Wby is about as good as it gets when hunting light and medium game at long range out west. Wouldn’t contemplate much use with it unless looking at shooting game way, way out there.

As stated previously if magnum is your desire the 7mm Rem Mag is about perfect as a go between. Offering tremendous power and shooting as flat as the 257 Wby. Better bullet selection and better supply of great factory loaded ammo as well.
Originally Posted by tzone
Looking to have a rifle built in the next year or so. It's going to be a Model 70 action. I have my eye on a potential donor.

At first I was thinking .257Wby Mag. But .338 has had my attention for some reason. I don't need either one of them for anything particular. But I could see a use for each one certainly.

I'm thinking I'd want the .257 to be a bit lighter, easier to carry, walking around type rifle. Shooting across swamps or poking at deer out west.

The.338 would be an all around type rifle. Could be stand hunting WT deer, could be hunting thick stuff for snowshoe hairs. Neither would be at game further than 400 yds and hopefully...a lot closer. Which kinda leans .338 but I like both. laugh

.270 Winchester will be perfect fit for Model 70 action, ammo can be had 24/7 almost everywhere.
I deer hunt at times with both the .257Wby and the .338WM. They are indeed polar opposites, and I do find myself carrying a 7mmRM more often when I do feel the need for something more than a 6.5CM or .308Win, which are what I carry most often.

I use the .338WM as a "thumper", since 200gr/2,900fps loads is about all I'm willing to tolerate for recoil. I even load it lower at times, as a 185 at 2,700-2,700 still makes quite an impact on critters at moderate ranges.
Originally Posted by DollarShort

My 25" Lilja 1:10 3-groove runs 100's over 3600fps. Last time I chrono'd w/LabRadar I had an ES of 28fps and SD of 8fps. 100gn SGK and TSX run close enough POA/POI to use the SGK's for practice on steel out to 500.

Now I see the error in my reasoning. Compared to a 17 pound rifle shot out of a heavy adjustable rest, that thing is probably like toting around a toothpick!

Too small for snowshoe hares. smile

My vote is for the .338 WM.
340 bee 🐝
Originally Posted by mathman
I'll do the Campfire thing and suggest something you didn't ask about. Given your choice of cartridges I'll assume your donor is already set up for a belted mag diameter case. So how about a 264 mag with an 8" twist?

That has crossed my mind. What is the shortest barrel length I can have and still be effective? I have a CM for slow poke 6.5 stuff
Originally Posted by beretzs
I like the 338 Win a bunch. Great elk rifle for me and packs pretty decently as well. I usually shoot 200-210’s around 2950-3000 FPS. Works great for me. It’s not any better than a 300 Magnum but I like the rifle a lot and it’s comfortable to shoot for me. Between it and my 7mm Mashburn Super, they get the lions share of hunting for deer and elk.

A 257 Wby or similar would be pretty slick on a lightweight 70 as well. Tough choice.. I say build both grin

I would love to. My pocketbook won’t allow it at this time.
Originally Posted by Fotis
340 bee 🐝

Had one of those built on a 70 Classic stainless.

Sold it.

Shouldn't have.
I'd vote for the 257, The 338 is a great cartridge, but there's no point in putting up with the recoil unless you have a very specific requirement for it in mind.
Looking to have a rifle built in the next year or so. It's going to be a Model 70 action. At first I was thinking .257Wby Mag. But .338 has had my attention for some reason. I don't need either one of them for anything particular. But I could see a use for each

Which will scratch the bigger itch?

“Hands down”......the .338 WM! Then sell off the other stuff you have! wink memtb
I've owned one 338 and built two 257 WB mags, both on Win 70 actions. Found recoil similar to an identical 270 win, shooting both side by side. I am a big fan of the 257 WBM as it is a super performer and down right sexy. The things I didn't like was 1) brass is expensive and my handloads did not match factory velocity (granted I could have pushed harder) 2) ammo is expensive and not readily available and 3) not a cartridge I'd want to shoot a lot simply as I would want to maintain barrel integrity. For a deer hunting cartridge, a personal favorite for sure. The 338 is special purpose to me and not something I really need so I sold mine off (regret that too!) but can get one if I need one. Mine was a factory Supergrade with fantastic wood which I loaded down just a bit for deer (never killed one with it).

That has crossed my mind. What is the shortest barrel length I can have and still be effective? I have a CM for slow poke 6.5 stuff

My father's 24" Model 70 was plenty effective.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

I don’t have a lot of interest in a 7mag. I should because I love the .280. But becaise I have a .280, I don’t have a lot of interest. laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Tom, you might consider true purpose before going through the process of building something.
I know you have other horses in the stable so you might consider something more purpose built.
And I only mention because I've traveled "path random" before and they're generally the ones that have been sold along the way at a modest loss.

OTOH, if "because I just want one or the other" is your reasoning, that's also good enough for me. laugh
Originally Posted by SKane

Tom, you might consider true purpose before going through the process of building something.
I know you have other horses in the stable so you might consider something more purpose built.
And I only mention because I've traveled "path random" before and they're generally the ones that have been sold along the way at a modest loss.

OTOH, if "because I just want one or the other" is your reasoning, that's also good enough for me. laugh

Damnit. grin
I do happen to have a bunch of 6.5 bullets on hand. laugh

Have you considered a 6.5PRC?

Savage 111 is sitting my my safe, sans barrel. Have been thinking 6.5PRC for the most part, .264WM some and a bit about a few others. Thinking the 6.5PRC makes the most sense as i believe it will be vey successful in the long term. Bullets are already plentiful and I think brass will become much more so pretty quickly.
FWIW, I use my M70 257Wby for ringing steel, Pronghorn, deer in open country, and occasionally for calling coyotes. Anyone who can put up with 270Win/30-06 type recoil LOVES shooting the 257. It's light enough to carry on long walks or day hunts, and just heavy enough to settle down fairly quickly as well as enough weight to make it fairly pleasant during summertime steel-ringing sessions.

The .264 would benefit from a shortened ejector/bolt stop, 3.6" mag box, and a lengthened ejection port.
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

Have you considered a 6.5PRC?

Savage 111 is sitting my my safe, sans barrel. Have been thinking 6.5PRC for the most part, .264WM some and a bit about a few others. Thinking the 6.5PRC makes the most sense as i believe it will be vey successful in the long term. Bullets are already plentiful and I think brass will become much more so pretty quickly.

Good idea if starting with a WSM short action. Less good idea on a standard long action.

Neither. Don’t buy the action or the barrel or the stock or the mounts or the scope or the dies or the brass or the bullets or the powder. GO ON A TRIP AND USE WHAT YOU ALREADY HAVE.

I tell ya, The people that can't make up their minds..................
I'd go with the .257 Weatherby.
T, honestly the .338 is a handful, Think twice about that....

Seriously, what would require the use of a .338?

We don't even take cartridges that large out west for Elk.

Too heavy, too much recoil, Just not fun to shoot.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

I don't know about splitting the difference, but two more opposite cartridges are hard to conceive of.
My vote is the 257 Roy!
A vote for the .257Roy, had used mine on deer and elk

That's the way I'd go.
Once you try the the big 25 you’ll love it.
GreggH
Originally Posted by Kenneth
T, honestly the .338 is a handful, Think twice about that....

Seriously, what would require the use of a .338?

We don't even take cartridges that large out west for Elk.

Too heavy, too much recoil, Just not fun to shoot.

The .338 Magnum can be good if you pick the right oneintelligently customized factory rifle... Quality recoil pad, removable muzzle break, improved trigger and stock to action fit. I'm sure scope is not included but that rifle is very fairly priced. Like the seller says better than original from the factory.
Do the 338 and we can go moose hunting. I have some good looking moose hunts percolating.
Between your choices I'd build the 257. I disliked my last 338. I would build a 375 Ruger before a 338.

25-06 isn't bad in the 25 cal. realm.
All one needs is .30-06. I would be willing to bet the most popular caliber in Alaska is .30-06 or something similar. All them Americans from outside want to tote "Elephant Guns" that's despite the fact that non-residents need to use service of professional guides when hunting there.
Here is professional grade Alaska guide/camper's rifle"Professional use only"....For novice it will leave a mark and "put water" into their eyes.
Originally Posted by TJAY
Do the 338 and we can go moose hunting. I have some good looking moose hunts percolating.

Well that would give me a specific use for a .338WM laugh

TJAY, can you load them down to 338-06 velocities? What are you shooting for elk/moose?
Originally Posted by Slavek

The .338 Magnum can be good if you pick the right oneintelligently customized factory rifle... Quality recoil pad, removable muzzle break, improved trigger and stock to action fit. I'm sure scope is not included but that rifle is very fairly priced. Like the seller says better than original from the factory.

The muzzle break should be the only clue you need,

At this point after many weekends at the Public range, I consider brakes to be Public Enemy #1

Useless, loud, obnoxious piece of chits.............

At this point after many weekends at the Public range, I consider brakes to be Public Enemy #1

While we don’t do public ranges, even then, my wife absolutely hates muzzle brakes.....and “will not” even consider putting one on her .338 WM. Also, 338’s are not necessarily heavy, her rifle weighs in at 8 lb. 15 oz. scoped, loaded, and slung!. Truthfully, she doesn’t enjoy shooting from the bench. Once a load is developed bench work is unnecessary, except for a zero check. Practice should be from field positions, replicating shots likely to be taken when hunting!

As to the .338 WM having a specific purpose, she has used hers every year since 1996, on all game from deer/antelope, thru elk, moose, bear! It’s pretty difficult to beat the versatility of a .338 WM. memtb
Look, you’re on 24hourcampfire.com, which means you’ll end up with both eventually. The real question is which to get first. I’d go with the 257.

Okie John
The 257, but expect explosive results on targets within a couple hundred yards.
For me 257.

I have a Pre Garcia Sako 338 that hasn't seen daylight in 25 years.
Bought it, shot it. Now it sits.
Recoil isn't that bad. But for my use, my 300 win will do
everything a 338 will. And the 300 hasn't been used in a long while.
Only hunt deer anymore.

As someone else posted, a nice light 257 would be very usable.

And quite unnecessary on a .338
tzone -

Regarding .338WM rifles...

1. They aren't necessarily heavy, as has been pointed out. Mine has a fluted 22" barrel and weighs no more than my .300WM or 7mm RM and not significantly more than my or 280 or others.

2. Not a fan of muzzle brakes and the only bolt rifle I have with one is my lightweight .308 Ruger Scout with a 16.1" barrel. Calculated .338WM recoil with 225g AccuBonds at around 2750 fps is a bit more than my .300WM with 180s at around 3050 fps.

3. The difference on target between my .338WM and smaller diameter cartridges is quite noticeable with much bigger holes in. Have never recovered a .338 bullet even on my longest elk kill at 487 yards.

4. Is the .338WM fun at the bench? Not particularly, but it isn't that bad. I wouldn't say my .300WM or 7mm RM or .30-06 rifles are fun at the bench, either, but I've used all the above to hit clay pigeons on the 600-yard berm. For fun, get a rifle cambered for lighter weight, smaller diameter cartridges or one that i heavy enough to absorb a lot of recoil. My most fun rifles are .223, .243, Win .257 Roberts and my heavy barrel 6.5 CM and 6.5-06AI rifles. Recoil on those is light enough al my daughters love to shoot them. If recoil is a biggie, get the .257.
Originally Posted by memtb

While we don’t do public ranges, even then, my wife absolutely hates muzzle brakes.....and “will not” even consider putting one on her .338 WM. Also, 338’s are not necessarily heavy, her rifle weighs in at 8 lb. 15 oz. scoped, loaded, and slung!. Truthfully, she doesn’t enjoy shooting from the bench. Once a load is developed bench work is unnecessary, except for a zero check. Practice should be from field positions, replicating shots likely to be taken when hunting!

As to the .338 WM having a specific purpose, she has used hers every year since 1996, on all game from deer/antelope, thru elk, moose, bear! It’s pretty difficult to beat the versatility of a .338 WM. memtb

I've had and used a 338WM since about the same time. I will say that they are not as fun to practice with shooting off the bench. I've shot as much as 40 rounds off the bench with some of my 338wm rifles, in one sitting. I much prefer shooting my 6.5 creedmoor rifles. My hat goes off to guys or girls that can shoot more than I do with the big magnum rifles. I will always have a good 338wm rifle around for my elk hunts, as that is the one cartridge I always grab on opening day. That's not saying that's the only cartridge I have killed elk with, because it is not. To me, my main elk hunting rifle chambered in 338 rarely gets shot. I have plenty more rifles that I can practice with that replicate the function of my 338. Absolutely no need to practice with your heavy kicking 338 in anticipation of that one shot you are going to put on that elk. That may just be me though. I'd rather practice with my .223's, 22-250's, 6.5 cm and even 30-06 rifles the whole year. If you have a good rifle and scope package, it will stay zeroed during the course of the year and will be ready for your elk hunt. Mine is ready and always zeroed. Funny thing is I have a picture I post a lot about how well my 338 shoots:

Check the date on that target^^^^^^^^^^^^ That was actually the last time I shot that rifle until last year:

That was almost exactly 2 years of not shooting that rifle, but it was ready for that elk hunt. I say if the OP is looking for a dandy elk cartridge, buy the 338wm, but if he's looking to do a lot of shooting and practicing, buy the 257wby. I'm also wondering why there's such a big gap in choice here? Kind of funny question, "help me choose 257WBY or 338WM"..... I'd just buy both and be done with it...
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Five shots and you still missed the center. Better luck next time!!! wink

My 22" barreled .338 WM shoots 225g AB and SST at about the same - about 2770fps and nice tight groups. But I always miss too, about 2-1/2" high.
A lot of talk about the fierce recoil of the 338. 12 gauge slug guns are actually worse in that department. And a sizable portion of the country uses those.
Buy both, sort them out later.
tzone -

1. They aren't necessarily heavy, as has been pointed out. Mine has a fluted 22" barrel and weighs no more than my .300WM or 7mm RM and not significantly more than my or 280 or others.

Thanks for chiming in. I was thinking and hoping a 22" barrel would work out. If the budget will allow, flutes will be part of it. If not, that's ok too.
tzone -

Thanks for chiming in. I was thinking and hoping a 22" barrel would work out. If the budget will allow, flutes will be part of it. If not, that's ok too.

Keep in mind that flutes are 90% aesthetic - and the barrel must be of a certain contour or heavier in order to get that done....which negates any 'weight savings', for the most part.... And it runs anywhere from $150-200 to boot... FWIW.
Originally Posted by Redneck
tzone -

Keep in mind that flutes are 90% aesthetic - and the barrel must be of a certain contour or heavier in order to get that done....which negates any 'weight savings', for the most part.... And it runs anywhere from $150-200 to boot... FWIW.

The fluting does require a larger diameter barrel but the large diameter provides stiffness and the fluting keeps the weight down.
if you did buy both ? which might be the best way for you to figure out? i bet you end up using the 257 Wby. alot more. reason is less recoil, better long range cartridge for deer with handloads less guess work for quick shot.i own 338 Win. and a 257 Wby. believe me the 257 Wby. is a assume cartridge for deer out too 600-700 yards with lite recoil off a bi-pod in the prone position ,my 338 Win has plenty recoil in the prone position.if your short on money and can only own one rifle get the 257 Wby. resale is better too and easier to sell.

I'm also wondering why there's such a big gap in choice here? Kind of funny question, "help me choose 257WBY or 338WM"..... I'd just buy both and be done with it...

A few people have mentioned that.

There big gap because I have the gap filled between them. 22's, .223's, .243, 6.5, .280, .30-06.
Originally Posted by Redneck
tzone -

The fluting does require a larger diameter barrel but the large diameter provides stiffness and the fluting keeps the weight down.

I agree with Redneck and do realize they're mostly for aesthetics. The ounces you're saving on a rifle like this won't matter. Also why I said if the budget allows. smile
Double Post
Originally Posted by pete53
if you did buy both ? which might be the best way for you to figure out? i bet you end up using the 257 Wby. alot more. reason is less recoil, better long range cartridge for deer with handloads less guess work for quick shot.i own 338 Win. and a 257 Wby. believe me the 257 Wby. is a assume cartridge for deer out too 600-700 yards with lite recoil off a bi-pod in the prone position ,my 338 Win has plenty recoil in the prone position.if your short on money and can only own one rifle get the 257 Wby. resale is better too and easier to sell.

There won't be shooting anything to 600-700 yds except maybe targets that aren't living. I can barely see that far, let alone shoot a deer that far away. It would be fun, I just don't have the eyes for it.
338, load it down a little.

There big gap because I have the gap filled between them. 22's, .223's, .243, 6.5, .280, .30-06.

If I had a good 30-06 that I liked, I'd probably skip the .338WM loaded to .338-06 levels. Run warm 180's in the 30-06 and you are right there anyway. The .257wby is a whole different animal from the other chamberings you already have. A fast-twist 264WM would be also, as you'd still have the option of approximating the .257wby, as Barnes makes the 6.5mm 100TTSX, should you want to try warp speed. Should you want to launch heavies, a fast twist .264 would do that too. I only have a .257wby because I found a restocked Vanguard SS for cheap. If I were building, I'd likely lean 6.5 and take advantage of the bullet selection.
If deer was the largest intended game for the rifle, there's no way I'd be considering a 338. (plus it sounds like you have legit elk rifles if you ever want to hunt elk) It sounds like you have a donor picked out with a mag boltface. There's no real gaps in your caliber list. I'd pick something I already like or just want to try. I assume you reload. Maybe a 264/7STW/7RM? 26 Nosler? But you're right, there's nothing wrong with a 257Wby, just expensive brass.
My donor Savage action was a 7mm RM before I removed the barrel and put it in the "resource pile" of scrap metal n the barn. So long action, mag bolt face (which can be changed for about $25 if I choose - one of the things I like about the Savage floating bolt head).

My original intent was to put a match grade 6.5PRC barrel on it. A number of others make sense as well, including a .264WM and 26 or 28 Nosler. I already have rifles with high overlapping capability for those, however. One that keeps popping into my brain is to go where I have much less overlap - a .375 Ruger. Don't "need" it, but don't "need"the others, either.
I will say that they are not as fun to practice with shooting off the bench.

True.

I think that a lot of folks overlook the role of stock design in mitigating recoil. Even a fairly light 338 is manageable if the stock fits, doesn’t have too much drop, and has a good recoil pad.

Fortunately, the 338, the 30-06, and the 7-08 have almost identical trajectories with some bullet weights. Plus the 338 can push 225-grain bullets really fast with a 22” barrel, so it can be light, compact, fast-handling, AND powerful. The trick is to find a 338 load you like then match it with one of the lighter rifles. Use the light rifle for practice and hunting deer and save the 338 for stuff that needs to get pounded.

Okie John
If I were building another 257WM, I'd definitely go with a 26" barrel, 24" for the 338 but that's just me, I'm tall with long arms and don't care for compact rifles.
I'm with you 257Bob...I've had both 24" and 26" and the latter just "felt right". 22" starts to feel like a 'carbine" to me, ha. I have waded into some thick stuff, with a 28-30" barreled shotgun and never felt handicapped. Shorter barrels are indeed "handier", but for what I always used a "magnum" for, the longer barrels made more sense...to me. Stalking out in the open or sitting in a box blind, barrel length means squat, may as well squeeze all the juice out of a round! smile
I've had a .340 Wby, a 338 WM and a .257 Wby

My current .257 is a .257R M-700 LA with a 24" Brux in a Hunter's Edge. It'll shoot the 100 TTSX sub inch at 3,266 fps with H-100V.

My current .338 is a .338-06 FN in a B&C that I glassed and painted. It'll shoot the 160 TTSX over Varget at 3K+, MOA. Also likes 180 NAB's and 210 NPT's. Those three loads cover about anything I want to shoot.

I like what I now have more than what I had. If someone is shooting at very long distances, then maybe the bigger rounds would be useful.

DF
I would encourage anyone to try a 257 Wby ( or warm 25-06, 257AI,etc) on deer and exotics! They kill like a bolt from the blue, ha. I also highly encourage anyone to hunt a few years with a good Medium caliber. from 338 Fed to 375 something...its a wonderful experience also! Life is far too short ( for some of us experimenters) and opportunities too few, only way to be satisfying is either a. try lots of calibers or b. ty lots of different bullets in your chosen caliber. A sharp knife and digging in is a hoot!

^^^ THIS
Call me a party pooper, but you already have a 280 and 30-06.
You are all set for your 400 yard ( or closer) deer.

I was going to suggest a 270 Win ( "your grandfather's 6.5 Creedmoor": ammo is everywhere, with good pricing, lower recoil for more enjoyable bench sessions, but with long range punch), but since you have a 280 Rem, you are close enough. If you don't like the way it shoots, get a new barrel. That's the campfire way....getting responses you didn't solicite.

338 Win mag? Too much.
257 Bee? Too exotic ( and $$$).

Whatev'
What is the .338 WM too much for? What is the .257Wby too exotic for? Who gets to decide that?

A .270 makes less sense than any of my choices, tho I don't mind the round.

I do think it's going to be a .264 WM or a .338 WM.
What is the .338 WM too much for? What is the .257Wby too exotic for? Who gets to decide that?

Get both. Problem solved.

Get both. Problem solved.

I'd get all 3, plus a few more. 6.5 cm included.... Just sayin.

Make it a switch barrel!! Screw the one on you want at the time. With a good set of repeatable scope mounts and a good scope, rezeroing shouldn't take many rounds. I've long wanted to do this with my Ruger 338.
OP,

Some thoughts here-
I would go for the .257 Wby,

I own one, and have used it for some 35 years now, on game from coyotes to elk.
I handload for it, using Barnes 100 gr. TTSX bullets, at a MV of 3700 fps out of the 26" barrel. It is neither difficult, nor any more expensive, to load for, than any other comparable centerfire cartridge. Weatherby (Norma) brass case life is excellent- buy a supply of 50 rounds of brass, and it will last you a very long time, if you are just hunting with your rifle.
Used with proper bullets, like the Barnes, it is not 'explosive', at any range. Stay away from conventional cup and core bullets. I think the .257 really comes into its own when used for open-country hunting of species like mule deer and antelope. It is difficult to imagine a better cartridge choice for this type of hunting.
The first game animal I ever shot with my Wby. was an Alaskan Barren Ground caribou. After stalking the bull to 200 yards or so, I took the shot. The rest of the herd scattered, but no bull with them. He was dead on the ground, and as I approached, I noted a spray of blood and lung fragments for 20 feet on the snow behind the shot! And, there have been more DRT mule deer with my rifle than I can remember.
Never having wanted a WBY in any flavor - how does it compare to a 25-06 or AI?
Bee.....
tzone

Get the 338 Winnie. They are fun to shoot, don't recoil bad, shoot plenty flat to kill game farther than I care to shoot game, and there is no such thing as to much gun.
My experience is with the .257Wby, I have none with a 338. Mine (257) is for rockchucks and it does admirable job. Keith told me about his 26", 0 freebore gun that was doing 3850 with 100's. So I put one together, heavy 29" / 12 twist Hart and 100's at 4000 with superb accuracy. Brass we use is no longer available PMC which is very strong stuff. The 257 just destroys a rockchuck and if there's a 338 bullet that comes apart decently, I doubt there'd be much left of a rabbit, or a chuck. Keith shot a great many deer with his 257, they all were DRT, no runoffs. I can't imagine needing a 338 for your use. A shooting partner just traded for a real heavy 338 and in the near future we'll be comparing it to my 257 on chucks. Should be interesting. Deer aren't on the agenda but for that you'd be more than fine with the Wby.
© 24hourcampfire