-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T, honestly the .338 is a handful, Think twice about that....

Seriously, what would require the use of a .338?

We don't even take cartridges that large out west for Elk.

Too heavy, too much recoil, Just not fun to shoot.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Split the difference 7mm Rem mag . Those 2 cartridges are polar opposites.

I don't know about splitting the difference, but two more opposite cartridges are hard to conceive of.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My vote is the 257 Roy!

Drink and be merry for soldiers die for your freedoms.

Semper Fidelis!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A vote for the .257Roy, had used mine on deer and elk

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
I'll do the Campfire thing and suggest something you didn't ask about. Given your choice of cartridges I'll assume your donor is already set up for a belted mag diameter case. So how about a 264 mag with an 8" twist?

That's the way I'd go.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Once you try the the big 25 you’ll love it.
GreggH

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kenneth
T, honestly the .338 is a handful, Think twice about that....

Seriously, what would require the use of a .338?

We don't even take cartridges that large out west for Elk.

Too heavy, too much recoil, Just not fun to shoot.

The .338 Magnum can be good if you pick the right oneintelligently customized factory rifle... Quality recoil pad, removable muzzle break, improved trigger and stock to action fit. I'm sure scope is not included but that rifle is very fairly priced. Like the seller says better than original from the factory.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Do the 338 and we can go moose hunting. I have some good looking moose hunts percolating.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Between your choices I'd build the 257. I disliked my last 338. I would build a 375 Ruger before a 338.

25-06 isn't bad in the 25 cal. realm.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All one needs is .30-06. I would be willing to bet the most popular caliber in Alaska is .30-06 or something similar. All them Americans from outside want to tote "Elephant Guns" that's despite the fact that non-residents need to use service of professional guides when hunting there.
Here is professional grade Alaska guide/camper's rifle"Professional use only"....For novice it will leave a mark and "put water" into their eyes.

IC B3

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by TJAY
Do the 338 and we can go moose hunting. I have some good looking moose hunts percolating.

Well that would give me a specific use for a .338WM laugh

TJAY, can you load them down to 338-06 velocities? What are you shooting for elk/moose?

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Slavek

The .338 Magnum can be good if you pick the right oneintelligently customized factory rifle... Quality recoil pad, removable muzzle break, improved trigger and stock to action fit. I'm sure scope is not included but that rifle is very fairly priced. Like the seller says better than original from the factory.

The muzzle break should be the only clue you need,

At this point after many weekends at the Public range, I consider brakes to be Public Enemy #1

Useless, loud, obnoxious piece of chits.............

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

At this point after many weekends at the Public range, I consider brakes to be Public Enemy #1

While we don’t do public ranges, even then, my wife absolutely hates muzzle brakes.....and “will not” even consider putting one on her .338 WM. Also, 338’s are not necessarily heavy, her rifle weighs in at 8 lb. 15 oz. scoped, loaded, and slung!. Truthfully, she doesn’t enjoy shooting from the bench. Once a load is developed bench work is unnecessary, except for a zero check. Practice should be from field positions, replicating shots likely to be taken when hunting!

As to the .338 WM having a specific purpose, she has used hers every year since 1996, on all game from deer/antelope, thru elk, moose, bear! It’s pretty difficult to beat the versatility of a .338 WM. memtb

Last edited by memtb; 02/20/20.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Look, you’re on 24hourcampfire.com, which means you’ll end up with both eventually. The real question is which to get first. I’d go with the 257.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 257, but expect explosive results on targets within a couple hundred yards.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For me 257.

I have a Pre Garcia Sako 338 that hasn't seen daylight in 25 years.
Bought it, shot it. Now it sits.
Recoil isn't that bad. But for my use, my 300 win will do
everything a 338 will. And the 300 hasn't been used in a long while.
Only hunt deer anymore.

As someone else posted, a nice light 257 would be very usable.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N

And quite unnecessary on a .338

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
tzone -

Regarding .338WM rifles...

1. They aren't necessarily heavy, as has been pointed out. Mine has a fluted 22" barrel and weighs no more than my .300WM or 7mm RM and not significantly more than my or 280 or others.

2. Not a fan of muzzle brakes and the only bolt rifle I have with one is my lightweight .308 Ruger Scout with a 16.1" barrel. Calculated .338WM recoil with 225g AccuBonds at around 2750 fps is a bit more than my .300WM with 180s at around 3050 fps.

3. The difference on target between my .338WM and smaller diameter cartridges is quite noticeable with much bigger holes in. Have never recovered a .338 bullet even on my longest elk kill at 487 yards.

4. Is the .338WM fun at the bench? Not particularly, but it isn't that bad. I wouldn't say my .300WM or 7mm RM or .30-06 rifles are fun at the bench, either, but I've used all the above to hit clay pigeons on the 600-yard berm. For fun, get a rifle cambered for lighter weight, smaller diameter cartridges or one that i heavy enough to absorb a lot of recoil. My most fun rifles are .223, .243, Win .257 Roberts and my heavy barrel 6.5 CM and 6.5-06AI rifles. Recoil on those is light enough al my daughters love to shoot them. If recoil is a biggie, get the .257.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by memtb

While we don’t do public ranges, even then, my wife absolutely hates muzzle brakes.....and “will not” even consider putting one on her .338 WM. Also, 338’s are not necessarily heavy, her rifle weighs in at 8 lb. 15 oz. scoped, loaded, and slung!. Truthfully, she doesn’t enjoy shooting from the bench. Once a load is developed bench work is unnecessary, except for a zero check. Practice should be from field positions, replicating shots likely to be taken when hunting!

As to the .338 WM having a specific purpose, she has used hers every year since 1996, on all game from deer/antelope, thru elk, moose, bear! It’s pretty difficult to beat the versatility of a .338 WM. memtb

I've had and used a 338WM since about the same time. I will say that they are not as fun to practice with shooting off the bench. I've shot as much as 40 rounds off the bench with some of my 338wm rifles, in one sitting. I much prefer shooting my 6.5 creedmoor rifles. My hat goes off to guys or girls that can shoot more than I do with the big magnum rifles. I will always have a good 338wm rifle around for my elk hunts, as that is the one cartridge I always grab on opening day. That's not saying that's the only cartridge I have killed elk with, because it is not. To me, my main elk hunting rifle chambered in 338 rarely gets shot. I have plenty more rifles that I can practice with that replicate the function of my 338. Absolutely no need to practice with your heavy kicking 338 in anticipation of that one shot you are going to put on that elk. That may just be me though. I'd rather practice with my .223's, 22-250's, 6.5 cm and even 30-06 rifles the whole year. If you have a good rifle and scope package, it will stay zeroed during the course of the year and will be ready for your elk hunt. Mine is ready and always zeroed. Funny thing is I have a picture I post a lot about how well my 338 shoots:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Check the date on that target^^^^^^^^^^^^ That was actually the last time I shot that rifle until last year:

That was almost exactly 2 years of not shooting that rifle, but it was ready for that elk hunt. I say if the OP is looking for a dandy elk cartridge, buy the 338wm, but if he's looking to do a lot of shooting and practicing, buy the 257wby. I'm also wondering why there's such a big gap in choice here? Kind of funny question, "help me choose 257WBY or 338WM"..... I'd just buy both and be done with it...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Five shots and you still missed the center. Better luck next time!!! wink

My 22" barreled .338 WM shoots 225g AB and SST at about the same - about 2770fps and nice tight groups. But I always miss too, about 2-1/2" high.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 21, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,412
Posts18,470,447
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.