Home
Wondering what fire members think about putting one of those large tactical type knobs on a hunting bolt action rifle. Esp. one that might be used where DG lurks about.

I'm thinking it would be a worthy improvement in situations where it would be nice to get something more to grab ahold of such as if you were wearing heavy gloves (i.e. Alaska) or to find and manipulate the bolt faster in a situation where muscle memory may be impaired by a dulled brain (i.e. bear charge).

Yeah I get the part about tossing your gloves down when the critter hoves into sight, or that we should be familiar with our controls enough not to have to resort to the braille method. And I get the bit about the bolt handle sticking out on a horse scabbard.

I'm thinking its like a power handle on a baitcaster.

But,,,,, in the pursuit of perfect, no stone goes unturned right?

Fire away!
May be of some very small advantage without a scope whereas quick operation might be required. It would hinder things with a scope in place.

Looks cool and I think that is a big plus for some.
Originally Posted by SuperCub
May be of some very small advantage without a scope whereas quick operation might be required. It would hinder things with a scope in place.

It depends on the shape of the knob. The proper design is absolutely advantageous even with a scope mounted. A longer knob is more beneficial than a wider knob, IMO, as it increases leverage and gets your hand away from the scope. My preferred design is a somewhat stretched, modest, teardrop shape, similar to the Kampfeld Hunter.
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
A longer knob is more beneficial than a wider knob, IMO, as it increases leverage and gets your hand away from the scope.

I can see that.
Not for me...
My preference if the Kampfeld Campfire Knurled... Knurled for good grip. Campfire size is larger than factory, but not ginormous...
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by SuperCub

It depends on the shape of the knob. The proper design is absolutely advantageous even with a scope mounted. A longer knob is more beneficial than a wider knob, IMO, as it increases leverage and gets your hand away from the scope. My preferred design is a somewhat stretched, modest, teardrop shape, similar to the Kampfeld Hunter.

My preferences mirror Jordan's.
Another big fan of Karls "Campfire" knob especially on model 700 actions. I've had him do almost all my 700's over the years.

[Linked Image from pic20.picturetrail.com]
TACTICAL, baby......

[Linked Image from i26.photobucket.com]
In a few years shooters will look back at the big bolt handles and knobs the same way they look at shotgun Poly Chokes now, they both may serve a purpose but they are sure ugly.

drover
[quote=Blu_Cs]Wondering what fire members think about putting one of those large tactical type knobs on a hunting bolt action rifle. Esp. one that might be used where DG lurks about.

I'm thinking it would be a worthy improvement in situations where it would be nice to get something more to grab ahold of such as if you were wearing heavy gloves (i.e. Alaska) or to find and manipulate the bolt faster in a situation where muscle memory may be impaired by a dulled brain (i.e. bear charge).

Yeah I get the part about tossing your gloves down when the beast hoves into sight, or that we should be familiar with our controls enough not to have to resort to the braille method. And I get the bit about the bolt handle sticking out on a horse scabbard.

Fire away![/quote

Why? I'm old school, but factory bolts have never ben a problem for me! I don't understand the need for big knobs, and really can't buy into the "can" craze. Lot of folks with money to spend!
Im a eastern whitetail hunter, so in trees a lot... i see a larger knob just getting caught on something a lot causing me a headache. Plus, one well placed shot is all you need, a follow up isnt a normal thing for me..... more so because of the density of the woods.

Prefer the Holland's handle myself......

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by aalf

Prefer the Holland's handle myself......

I could dig that.
I have a Savage that has one, need to get it off, don’t like it!
I like them, assuming as previously mentioned, the shape is right.

Simply adding a “fat” knob is more for looks. A knob with modest diameter increase (I.e. a little “fatter”) but also a longer knob is the sweet spot.

I find these knobs fit my palm better, provide a little more leverage and move my hand father from the scope, all of which provide some benefits over a stock knob.

Now, some “tactical” knob designs seem more focused on improving Instagram pictures than anything else.
I'm all about practicability. So far it seems line longer, but not much bigger, are the hot ticket. Is that the best way to roll?

This from a guy with power handles on all his ambassadeurs.
As long as I can hit it with the heal of my hand, it's fine.
Using fingertips is for BR.
I really like the aftermarket Mnt Tactical knobs for the Tikkas. This is the smaller version and its just about perfect for my liking.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
It all boils down to personal preference, I have them, I like them, and I use them. At 10 above with gloves on, it`s good to know I can find and work the bolt quickly when needed.
Big fan of them myself. Sure makes things faster for me.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Practice rig of course needed one too
I have one rifle with a shift knob on it. It’s tolerable enough that I’m not gonna change it. But, I still don’t care fer it.
I've tried them, but I have no use for them. In several decades of hunting I've never had occasion to think "I could really use a bigger knob". This has often included getting repeat rounds away, such as when culling. From time to time it has also involved critters running at me.

On the downside, they just protrude more, and are just going to get in the road or snag on stuff. As well, if they add to the length of the handle then then my hand has to move over a larger arc to operate it, so if anything slowing things down rather than speeding up A larger diameter on the other hand, won't fit neatly into the crook of my finger for a ball and socket grip, which is what I use, again slowing things down.

And as for the gloves thing, if your gloves are so thick you can't find the bolt handle, how are you going to find the trigger?
I'm man enough to be comfortable with the size of the knob I have now.
Have used them but don’t care for them..
GreggH
Big bolt handles are like big rims and tires! Personal preference, my preference is no big bolt knobs, and no wide tires.
I have a number of Rem 700s that I use for PD and coyote shooting. All of them have various types of after market bolt knobs. Obviously, I like them, but I prefer the mid size, like oregonmuley showed above.
This rig is on a Bansner sheep hunter stock, 223AI(hard to find lefty 223 boltfaces) and just had bolt knob added about a month ago. Sure is a lot faster and should be better for coyote calling now. 8 twist Pacnor shooting 75 amax very nicely. Guess I am a big rim guy though my truck just has factory wheels lol.
I don't like the big Kenworth shifter knobs but the smaller teardrop knobs are fine, I like the extra length more.
The campfire shifters are a nice size. I kind of like the Hawk Hill small version as well.
A little longer and tapered to a little fatter feels great to me. Much better than standard factory knobs.

Advantage on a hunting rifle? Maybe with DG around. For my hunting purposes it would be all about feel and comfort. Don't have any but a SIL got one I like a lot.
Bonus points to the tacticool guy with a flat brimmed hat with his ears tucked in owning a rifle with a tactical knob.
I’ve never noticed the knob when shooting.
Both of these in the pic work great with wet hands, as well as thick winter mitts; quick & easily manipulated with the flat of the hand either way.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=12bNuRV9PHW5dOHl-A6oZp4baUz2oSCHY
I’ve got several of the Kampfeld knobs and the 1 LRI knob. The LRI knob came on a rifle I bought off here. I definitely prefer the size of the Kampfeld Campfire knob.

[Linked Image from uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com]

As far as a tikka knob I prefer this one. It’s made from the factory one.

I don't like big knobs on a hunting rifle. However, a bench gun is fine. If in doubt about wanting a big knob, try the rubber bolt balls. I tried this on a whim and they turned out to be a good inexpensive option:

https://www.amazon.com/Tourbon-Hunting-Rifle-Rubber-pieces/dp/B011ILQXMS
I didn't see this thread until now, just asked the question "why" on Custom Rifles. I never had any problems using any bolt, gloves or not. I also don't understand how we can have a decades old debate on "proper barrel length" for hunting and then add a 2ft long ( I'm being facitious, ha) 'suppressor" on it? don't get me wrong, I grew up in the Big Thicket ( I lived right down the road from Hanco!) and 'THE DEER GUN" ( make that squirrel/rabbits/ducks, anything gun) was a Browning Auto Five 3" 12ga magnum with a 32" Full choke barrel! ha Since we couldn't afford one most 30" Full Choke 12gas were used. We never had trouble with long barrels. Now, the "pickup Poachers" liked the short barrel rifle, and those on horseback, but few hunted in/on either! ha I wonder how many "gun looney" guys have the "perfect" Police/Military Sniper; Dangerous Game Rifle; and so on , who hunt the "back forty"...I know I've owned "my share" ha.
You guys that use them...do you put the knob in the palm/heel of the hand or do you use the web of the thumb to work the bolt? I've always used the palm/heel as my Dad taught me to shoot and he did most of his War fighting in the Pacific with a Mod 1917 Enfield.
Palm/heel and its pretty fast.
Top of index finger for bolt retraction, and slide with the heel of palm for bolt closure.

Works off the bench & while running, doesn't disturb the sight picture through the eyebox.

Not sure why my picture didn't appear in my earlier post.

This one will work -

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
Having made lots tactical bolt knobs, I learned that like knife handles and chisel handles, it is best to copy the shape of something I like.

I found the shape of the Glades tactical bolt knob for Rem700 is the best shape for me
http://gladesarmory.com/tactical-bolt-knobs/83/remington-700-oversized-tactical-bolt-knob-.html
[Linked Image]
They are only $30 and I could save lots of time by buying one, but they are made of anodized solid Aluminum alloy making them cold and heavy.
So I use the shape.
[Linked Image]
This may look boxy and not the same shape, but after sanding, it is the same shape.
[Linked Image]
And I put a coin in the end for decoration.

Here is an 11 minute video of me making that knob.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epjXe_tpFUk

30 degree bolt lift... I like it more than a bigger knob, do both and it’s really nice.
Most of the hunters on Wild Bore Fever have large round knobs on their rifles. The setup seems to work well at running hogs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O1BqN8K0Vs

I hated the bolt handle on a Mark X so I ground it off freehand, threaded it and machined a longer tapered tactical knob. The rifles I use where I might need a fast second shot is either a post 64 model 70 or a tang safety Ruger. Both have nicely shaped bolt knobs and require no changes for me.
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
You guys that use them...do you put the knob in the palm/heel of the hand or do you use the web of the thumb to work the bolt? I've always used the palm/heel as my Dad taught me to shoot and he did most of his War fighting in the Pacific with a Mod 1917 Enfield.

Watch some top-end competitors who shoot on the clock, and you’ll see that most of them use an over-handed, crab-claw technique. I used to be a palm/heel guy (which I still like more for the “cool factor“), but for the last several years I have been using my thumb and forefinger in an over-handed technique as it is faster and more reliable, IMO. The palm/heel technique requires you to rotate the skeletal structure of the entire arm between raising the palm and pushing the heel, which takes more time and is more disruptive to the shooting position.
on my bench rifles those big bolts work fine for me ,for hunting i just use a old single shot Ruger #1 ,#1`s don`t have a bolt . Grin
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
Wondering what fire members think about putting one of those large tactical type knobs on a hunting bolt action rifle. Esp. one that might be used where DG lurks about.

Yeah I get the part about tossing your gloves down when the critter hoves into sight, or that we should be familiar with our controls enough not to have to resort to the braille method. And I get the bit about the bolt handle sticking out on a horse scabbard.

I'm thinking its like a power handle on a baitcaster.

Fire away!

Trust me. Standard bolt handles ain't a problem in a bear situation. Or finding the safety. Or muscle memory.
If it is, maybe you shouldn't be out there.

A bear charge does not result in a dulled brain - quite the opposite.

Now what is a problem is having a pair of binoculars in one hand, camera in the other with the rifle still 20 yards away, the bear 30 feet away and coming hard. I don't think an oversized knob on the my binoculars would have helped in that situation either... smile
Originally Posted by Azshooter
Most of the hunters on Wild Bore Fever have large round knobs on their rifles. The setup seems to work well at running hogs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O1BqN8K0Vs

I hated the bolt handle on a Mark X so I ground it off freehand, threaded it and machined a longer tapered tactical knob. The rifles I use where I might need a fast second shot is either a post 64 model 70 or a tang safety Ruger. Both have nicely shaped bolt knobs and require no changes for me.

Thanks for the link. Looks sorta gay to me. The Chateau thing and all that. And French, right? Believe I'll pass on the balls thing.

No shade on you though.

[/quote]

....A bear charge does not result in a dulled brain - quite the opposite.....

[/quote]

Now that you point that out, I'm understanding what you are getting at!

Another vote for the Kampfeld Hunter knob. Functional, yet not a huge eye sore.
Oh heck yeah!! Absolute first requirement is to be cool and do what's popular and is the current fad. Your mind can justify anything it likes. Objectivity can go hang.
"Tactical" anything is one term I have no use for anymore.
How do you feel about "mil spec" or "aerospace grade" grin
An oversize bolt knob is just one more thing to get in the way along will tall scope turrets, elaborate slings, protruding magazines, ammo cuffs etc. I hunt a good bit it thick woods, brush so the more trim and sleek the rifle/scope setup the better.
No thanks for me.

It’s an aesthetic issue for me, like folks who put muzzle brakes on EVERYTHING!

But I have a classic taste though...
Do it. You'll love it. It makes a big difference when it's cold and your fat gloves need to operate the bolt right up next to your scope. The extra length is really nice.
Give me a bolt knob that looks like it belongs on a real rifle.

Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Give me a bolt knob that looks like it belongs on a real rifle.

Is the picture inverted or is that rifle wrong handed? wink
© 24hourcampfire