Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

30 degree bolt lift... I like it more than a bigger knob, do both and it’s really nice.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most of the hunters on Wild Bore Fever have large round knobs on their rifles. The setup seems to work well at running hogs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O1BqN8K0Vs

I hated the bolt handle on a Mark X so I ground it off freehand, threaded it and machined a longer tapered tactical knob. The rifles I use where I might need a fast second shot is either a post 64 model 70 or a tang safety Ruger. Both have nicely shaped bolt knobs and require no changes for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
You guys that use them...do you put the knob in the palm/heel of the hand or do you use the web of the thumb to work the bolt? I've always used the palm/heel as my Dad taught me to shoot and he did most of his War fighting in the Pacific with a Mod 1917 Enfield.

Watch some top-end competitors who shoot on the clock, and you’ll see that most of them use an over-handed, crab-claw technique. I used to be a palm/heel guy (which I still like more for the “cool factor“), but for the last several years I have been using my thumb and forefinger in an over-handed technique as it is faster and more reliable, IMO. The palm/heel technique requires you to rotate the skeletal structure of the entire arm between raising the palm and pushing the heel, which takes more time and is more disruptive to the shooting position.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
on my bench rifles those big bolts work fine for me ,for hunting i just use a old single shot Ruger #1 ,#1`s don`t have a bolt . Grin

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
Wondering what fire members think about putting one of those large tactical type knobs on a hunting bolt action rifle. Esp. one that might be used where DG lurks about.

I'm thinking it would be a worthy improvement in situations where it would be nice to get something more to grab ahold of such as if you were wearing heavy gloves (i.e. Alaska) or to find and manipulate the bolt faster in a situation where muscle memory may be impaired by a dulled brain (i.e. bear charge).

Yeah I get the part about tossing your gloves down when the critter hoves into sight, or that we should be familiar with our controls enough not to have to resort to the braille method. And I get the bit about the bolt handle sticking out on a horse scabbard.

I'm thinking its like a power handle on a baitcaster.

But,,,,, in the pursuit of perfect, no stone goes unturned right?

Fire away!

Trust me. Standard bolt handles ain't a problem in a bear situation. Or finding the safety. Or muscle memory.
If it is, maybe you shouldn't be out there.

A bear charge does not result in a dulled brain - quite the opposite.

Now what is a problem is having a pair of binoculars in one hand, camera in the other with the rifle still 20 yards away, the bear 30 feet away and coming hard. I don't think an oversized knob on the my binoculars would have helped in that situation either... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

B
Blu_Cs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Azshooter
Most of the hunters on Wild Bore Fever have large round knobs on their rifles. The setup seems to work well at running hogs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O1BqN8K0Vs

I hated the bolt handle on a Mark X so I ground it off freehand, threaded it and machined a longer tapered tactical knob. The rifles I use where I might need a fast second shot is either a post 64 model 70 or a tang safety Ruger. Both have nicely shaped bolt knobs and require no changes for me.

Thanks for the link. Looks sorta gay to me. The Chateau thing and all that. And French, right? Believe I'll pass on the balls thing.

No shade on you though.

Last edited by Blu_Cs; 05/17/20.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
B
Blu_Cs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
[/quote]

....A bear charge does not result in a dulled brain - quite the opposite.....

[/quote]

Now that you point that out, I'm understanding what you are getting at!

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Another vote for the Kampfeld Hunter knob. Functional, yet not a huge eye sore.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Oh heck yeah!! Absolute first requirement is to be cool and do what's popular and is the current fad. Your mind can justify anything it likes. Objectivity can go hang.

Last edited by sharps4590; 05/20/20.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
"Tactical" anything is one term I have no use for anymore.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
How do you feel about "mil spec" or "aerospace grade" grin

Low speed, high drag
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
An oversize bolt knob is just one more thing to get in the way along will tall scope turrets, elaborate slings, protruding magazines, ammo cuffs etc. I hunt a good bit it thick woods, brush so the more trim and sleek the rifle/scope setup the better.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
No thanks for me.

It’s an aesthetic issue for me, like folks who put muzzle brakes on EVERYTHING!

But I have a classic taste though...

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Do it. You'll love it. It makes a big difference when it's cold and your fat gloves need to operate the bolt right up next to your scope. The extra length is really nice.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Give me a bolt knob that looks like it belongs on a real rifle.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Give me a bolt knob that looks like it belongs on a real rifle.

Is the picture inverted or is that rifle wrong handed? wink

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

658 members (1badf350, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1234, 66 invisible), 3,124 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,263
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.