-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Big fan of them myself. Sure makes things faster for me.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Practice rig of course needed one too

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have one rifle with a shift knob on it. It’s tolerable enough that I’m not gonna change it. But, I still don’t care fer it.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've tried them, but I have no use for them. In several decades of hunting I've never had occasion to think "I could really use a bigger knob". This has often included getting repeat rounds away, such as when culling. From time to time it has also involved critters running at me.

On the downside, they just protrude more, and are just going to get in the road or snag on stuff. As well, if they add to the length of the handle then then my hand has to move over a larger arc to operate it, so if anything slowing things down rather than speeding up A larger diameter on the other hand, won't fit neatly into the crook of my finger for a ball and socket grip, which is what I use, again slowing things down.

And as for the gloves thing, if your gloves are so thick you can't find the bolt handle, how are you going to find the trigger?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm man enough to be comfortable with the size of the knob I have now.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Have used them but don’t care for them..
GreggH

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Big bolt handles are like big rims and tires! Personal preference, my preference is no big bolt knobs, and no wide tires.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a number of Rem 700s that I use for PD and coyote shooting. All of them have various types of after market bolt knobs. Obviously, I like them, but I prefer the mid size, like oregonmuley showed above.

NRA Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This rig is on a Bansner sheep hunter stock, 223AI(hard to find lefty 223 boltfaces) and just had bolt knob added about a month ago. Sure is a lot faster and should be better for coyote calling now. 8 twist Pacnor shooting 75 amax very nicely. Guess I am a big rim guy though my truck just has factory wheels lol.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don't like the big Kenworth shifter knobs but the smaller teardrop knobs are fine, I like the extra length more.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The campfire shifters are a nice size. I kind of like the Hawk Hill small version as well.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A little longer and tapered to a little fatter feels great to me. Much better than standard factory knobs.

Advantage on a hunting rifle? Maybe with DG around. For my hunting purposes it would be all about feel and comfort. Don't have any but a SIL got one I like a lot.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Bonus points to the tacticool guy with a flat brimmed hat with his ears tucked in owning a rifle with a tactical knob.
I’ve never noticed the knob when shooting.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Both of these in the pic work great with wet hands, as well as thick winter mitts; quick & easily manipulated with the flat of the hand either way.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=12bNuRV9PHW5dOHl-A6oZp4baUz2oSCHY

Low speed, high drag
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve got several of the Kampfeld knobs and the 1 LRI knob. The LRI knob came on a rifle I bought off here. I definitely prefer the size of the Kampfeld Campfire knob.

[Linked Image from uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com]

As far as a tikka knob I prefer this one. It’s made from the factory one.

You ain't about that life.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I don't like big knobs on a hunting rifle. However, a bench gun is fine. If in doubt about wanting a big knob, try the rubber bolt balls. I tried this on a whim and they turned out to be a good inexpensive option:

https://www.amazon.com/Tourbon-Hunting-Rifle-Rubber-pieces/dp/B011ILQXMS

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I didn't see this thread until now, just asked the question "why" on Custom Rifles. I never had any problems using any bolt, gloves or not. I also don't understand how we can have a decades old debate on "proper barrel length" for hunting and then add a 2ft long ( I'm being facitious, ha) 'suppressor" on it? don't get me wrong, I grew up in the Big Thicket ( I lived right down the road from Hanco!) and 'THE DEER GUN" ( make that squirrel/rabbits/ducks, anything gun) was a Browning Auto Five 3" 12ga magnum with a 32" Full choke barrel! ha Since we couldn't afford one most 30" Full Choke 12gas were used. We never had trouble with long barrels. Now, the "pickup Poachers" liked the short barrel rifle, and those on horseback, but few hunted in/on either! ha I wonder how many "gun looney" guys have the "perfect" Police/Military Sniper; Dangerous Game Rifle; and so on , who hunt the "back forty"...I know I've owned "my share" ha.

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 05/15/20.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
You guys that use them...do you put the knob in the palm/heel of the hand or do you use the web of the thumb to work the bolt? I've always used the palm/heel as my Dad taught me to shoot and he did most of his War fighting in the Pacific with a Mod 1917 Enfield.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Palm/heel and its pretty fast.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Top of index finger for bolt retraction, and slide with the heel of palm for bolt closure.

Works off the bench & while running, doesn't disturb the sight picture through the eyebox.

Not sure why my picture didn't appear in my earlier post.

This one will work -

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Low speed, high drag
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Having made lots tactical bolt knobs, I learned that like knife handles and chisel handles, it is best to copy the shape of something I like.

I found the shape of the Glades tactical bolt knob for Rem700 is the best shape for me
http://gladesarmory.com/tactical-bolt-knobs/83/remington-700-oversized-tactical-bolt-knob-.html
[Linked Image]
They are only $30 and I could save lots of time by buying one, but they are made of anodized solid Aluminum alloy making them cold and heavy.
So I use the shape.
[Linked Image]
This may look boxy and not the same shape, but after sanding, it is the same shape.
[Linked Image]
And I put a coin in the end for decoration.

Here is an 11 minute video of me making that knob.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epjXe_tpFUk

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (12savage, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10ring1, 160user, 1936M71, 70 invisible), 2,125 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,909
Posts18,479,473
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.