Home
Posted By: barm 6mm ARC - Hornady's New Cartridge - 06/03/20
FYI

I read the article hornady emailed me. 6x45 ballistics. Yawn.
Could have gone 6woa or just 6.8 spc...or hell...leave the 6.5 grendel and use it. Always gotta fug with schitt that works fine to begin with...
Just trying to make a buck claiming something is the latest and greatest......
You have a cartridge which will work in an AR-15 or mini bolt action. It uses 6mm bullets which can range from 55 to 108 grains. The recoil energy is around 6 ft lb. It carries over 1000 ft/lb of energy past 400 yards. Plus it is being used by the military. A nice light weight, low recoil option for varmints/deer/pronghorn. I know I don't always like the new thing, but I kinda like this one.
Originally Posted by barm
You have a cartridge which will work in an AR-15 or mini bolt action. It uses 6mm bullets which can range from 55 to 108 grains. The recoil energy is around 6 ft lb. It carries over 1000 ft/lb of energy past 400 yards. Plus it is being used by the military. A nice light weight, low recoil option for varmints/deer/pronghorn. I know I don't always like the new thing, but I kinda like this one.

Thank you. Why do these guys always have a hard on to piss and moan about something new? To the guy who mentioned the 6x45 how many guns are chambered for that setting on the shelf with ammo available? It’s like they have a club that has to bash anything new. I may never own one but I’m sure glad the companies are getting new and better things on the market for people who don’t build custom rifles and hand load.
Whatever gets people interested in shooting I am ok with. I am better served with a 6mm CM. ~2700 with a good BC is a good place to be.
So they "invented" a 6mm PPC?

Since when is the military using the Hornady version?
I like the concept.
Mostly I think the govt just spent a billion dollars of our money on a lateral move which pisses me off and doesn't accomplish much else.

ya!

GWB
Fair bored with all the mutant 5.56mm designs they have crafted over recent times. Might be better ways to fulfill needs than reinventing the wheel.
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Mostly I think the govt just spent a billion dollars of our money on a lateral move which pisses me off and doesn't accomplish much else.

You’re looking for the hunters campfire at the top not gun stuff
Originally Posted by adam32

They didn’t invent anything but seem to be standardizing something. If that goes over your head maybe you should join the hunters campfire with the fella who yawns.
It sounds like a great option for an AR platform. But this guy was making it sound superior to a .243 or 6MM Remington in a bolt gun. Yeah, the twist rate's tighter, but my Remington 700 .243 Win. has a 1:9 twist and I know it will stabilize 105 grain bullets and probably 106 and possibly 108. And if not I can always rebarrel to something tighter. I can always rebarrel to a 1:7 or 1:7.5 twist. I looked it up and the ARC comes with a 1:7.5. That's all this has got on anything else,except it will fit nicely in an AR.
For the guy that hunts with an AR this sounds great. But don't compare it to a .243 Win.or 6mm Remington for a regular hunting rifle.
Hey kaleb? Didn't realize you were in charge of everyone's OPINIONS. Pardon me for having one and for being in the wrong place apparently. Do I have permission to go elsewhere on the site?
Hey kaleb? Didn't realize you were in charge of everyone's OPINIONS. Pardon me for having one and for being in the wrong place apparently. Do I have permission to go elsewhere on the site?

I just don’t know why you want to be all negative and hateful about a new cartridge? If that is what floats your boat then have at it.

I hear they have hydraulic fluid now helping cars and trucks drive easier. I’m sure that wasn’t needed in the past either.
So the 6mm Grendel, I mean ARC is better than anything in 223 because the bullet is bigger, and its better than anything in 308 or 6.5 because the bullet is smaller, according to the video they emailed me.

This may be a decent little cartridge, and have some practical application, but their hype makes me just shake my head. That made it sound like it could replace a .300 win mag.
Not meaning to be negative. Just don't see the niche it fits that isn't already filled 3 times over. But to each their own.
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
That made it sound like it could replace a .300 win mag.

Everyone knows the 6.5 Creedless already replaced the .300 win mag...this "new" version of a dozen other cartridges will replace the .375 H&H for DG.
.................Agreed! There are always going to be those who will say,,,"we already have enough",,,of either this or that every time something new is intro'd.......Fine! Then don't buy it if it is close to what you already have. But to discourage others from buying?
Originally Posted by Kaleb

They didn’t invent anything but seem to be standardizing something. If that goes over your head maybe you should join the hunters campfire with the fella who yawns.

Yourself and Hornady called it a "new cartridge"...it's nothing new! It's a PPC with a new name and junk ass Hornady brass!!!!

Yourself and Hornady called it a "new cartridge"...it's nothing new! It's a PPC with a new name and junk ass Hornady brass!!!!

Adam are you saying it has the exact dimensions as a 6mm PPC?
108gr eld-m in factory fodder?

Fits ar mags?

I’m all in.

I’m sure you’re mad at white cops too but it is new. Who offers off the shelf rifles and ammo in ppc? No doubt you do not like creedmoor cases smart phones gps or microwaves.
Originally Posted by Ndbowhunter

Fits ar mags?

I’m all in.

Exactly. Many will like it many do not need it. Why in the world do a bunch of grumpy old Yankees feel the need to cry about it?
Originally Posted by smallfry

Adam are you saying it has the exact dimensions as a 6mm PPC?

Close enough that it's basically a PPC but enough different that Hornady can claim "they made it".
Originally Posted by Ndbowhunter

Fits ar mags?

I’m all in.

At 2700 fps?...YAWN!!!!!!!!!
I'd like one in a 700 personally

I just don’t know why you want to be all negative and hateful about a new cartridge? If that is what floats your boat then have at it.

I hear they have hydraulic fluid now helping cars and trucks drive easier. I’m sure that wasn’t needed in the past either.

Hey did you used to be on the G&A Forum?

I’m sure you’re mad at white cops too but it is new. Who offers off the shelf rifles and ammo in ppc? No doubt you do not like creedmoor cases smart phones gps or microwaves.

Your reply makes no sense, please try harder with your insults.

Who buys off the shelf AR's except in .223? AR's are made to be built not bought. But maybe that's above your skill level so you're happy since you'll be able to buy a 6mm ARC at Walmart.
I apologize if you took that as an insult. I assure you I haven’t meant to insult anyone. I just don’t understand how gun people would be so against excellent new chamberings
Yes loading a 223 escapes me. Please let’s get informed from those elderly and those that get to kill 2 deer a year in the state they live in without a wife.
Originally Posted by Filaman

Hey did you used to be on the G&A Forum?

No sir
Few on the 24hrcf are happy, or even claim to be mildly interested, in any new cartridge.

Then again...there are some good bullets in 6mm. Hell, I bet some guys even want to use an AR to try them out! Why would I complain about it?

Thank you. Why do these guys always have a hard on to piss and moan about something new? To the guy who mentioned the 6x45 how many guns are chambered for that setting on the shelf with ammo available? It’s like they have a club that has to bash anything new. I may never own one but I’m sure glad the companies are getting new and better things on the market for people who don’t build custom rifles and hand load.

Good post..
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas
Few on the 24hrcf are happy, or even claim to be mildly interested, in any new cartridge.

After all, we know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two.

You'll find out there's a lot of yawning mother fu ckers here. Most shoot 1/2 moa rifles too, but have the hardest time proving it. Stick around long enough, you'll see what I'm talking about. I like the new cartridge. Its going to boom and catch on like a sob, probably similar to the 6.5 creedmoor, maybe even more so. Put this in an AR15 and it's going to be exceptional. I'm like you and don't understand why guys have a hard on for every new cartridge to come out. At least this one has something to offer. In the AR platform, you get didly schidt for good choices in 6mm cartridges. Those that are good, are not standardized, so you are left to shoot a wildcat cartridge. Something in the neighborhood of the 6WOA, 6MM Hager, 6DTI, etc. etc. If you reload, its better, but try finding a good set of reloading dies for a cartridge like my 6WOA. Its not going to happen. And to the guy that thinks his 6x45 is just as good as this commercial cartridge, I'm fn rolling. Try finding loaded ammo for that sob. Corbon used to manufacture it, but it shows it as discontinued at midway and it was $46.00/box. I'll likely be buying a 6mm ARC soon, be sure to watch the black rifle thread in the AR and Tactical rifle forum here and I'll post how it actually shoots sub moa groups...I'll fu cking guarantee it..
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

You'll find out there's a lot of yawning mother fu ckers here. Most shoot 1/2 moa rifles too, but have the hardest time proving it. Stick around long enough, you'll see what I'm talking about. I like the new cartridge. Its going to boom and catch on like a sob, probably similar to the 6.5 creedmoor, maybe even more so. Put this in an AR15 and it's going to be exceptional. I'm like you and don't understand why guys have a hard on for every new cartridge to come out. At least this one has something to offer. In the AR platform, you get didly schidt for good choices in 6mm cartridges. Those that are good, are not standardized, so you are left to shoot a wildcat cartridge. Something in the neighborhood of the 6WOA, 6MM Hager, 6DTI, etc. etc. If you reload, its better, but try finding a good set of reloading dies for a cartridge like my 6WOA. Its not going to happen. And to the guy that thinks his 6x45 is just as good as this commercial cartridge, I'm fn rolling. Try finding loaded ammo for that sob. Corbon used to manufacture it, but it shows it as discontinued at midway and it was $46.00/box. I'll likely be buying a 6mm ARC soon, be sure to watch the black rifle thread in the AR and Tactical rifle forum here and I'll post how it actually shoots sub moa groups...I'll fu cking guarantee it..

I like the cartridge but why is it always about your small groups?
Sounds like a fun cartridge.

.22 ARC can't be far behind huh?
Originally Posted by Higbean
Sounds like a fun cartridge.

.22 ARC can't be far behind huh?

.204ARC, .257ARC, 6.5ARC. Next...
2700fps be plenty

Thing about 108gr eld-m is that no matter the speed at the start they never cease being 108’s.

Getcher plink plink with a 22lr upper

Pew pew with 223 and hornady 75’s

And ur boom boom with some buck a pop eld-m match 108’s

All ur reloading done by mr UPS...

Be fun to see how a 112 match burner or 110 atip does with a case full.. probably won’t be rubbish.
Bet it is a sweetheart to shoot
So, what would be the shoulder angle simply going 6mm Grendel? Or, rather, how is this a better direction?

Won't this kill the Grendel case...
W/70 gr NBT?
As a handloader, I am liking the Grendal and its case.. using one in a Ruger American Predator Bolt action...

I'd do one in a 6mm also
I really like my Grendel too. Would like one of these no doubt as well. I think the 6.5 has a bit of an edge for hunting medium game inside 300 with fatter, heavier bullets, but only maybe a bit.

I ain't kicking about this one, or any one actually. Contrary to apparent popular belief, old stuff isn't diminished by new stuff. This is, after all, all fun and games.
It's a cartridge for a platform. What other 6mms that fit in AR15s are factories offering?
JBM says that the ELD 108 has 1.3 MOA less drift at 600yds @ 2750fps MV than a Sierra 80 .224 at the same specs.

Looks useful to me. Not everyone wants to spend $$ & time buying custom dies and forming cases for the wildcats.

I'm not familiar with what makes it different from the 6 PPC, but the one AR I've seen in PPC was a jamming POS. But that was 15+ years ago.
Hornady would be much better off standardizing the 22 Creedmoor. You’d sell it in many more bolt gun platforms than the ARC in an AR platform (although there was a spot for a commercialized AR 6mm cartridge). The real interest, in my opinion, is still a fast .473 rimmed .224 in a fast twist pipe.
Originally Posted by Rossimp
Hornady would be much better off standardizing the 22 Creedmoor. You’d sell it in many more bolt gun platforms than the ARC in an AR platform (although there was a spot for a commercialized AR 6mm cartridge). The real interest, in my opinion, is still a fast .473 rimmed .224 in a fast twist pipe.

Wrong.... Have you priced AR10 compared to AR15?? You priced building an AR10? Hell stripped lowers sell for up to $200 if you can find them. Nothing standardized on the AR10 platform. But the AR15 platform everything been standardized unless you are ruger but that’s another story..
Do a lot of guys shoot 24" AR rifles for the roles the 6mmARC is to fill? The chambering doesn't seem useless or anything, but I'm a little less interested when you start carving off 150fps for use in a typical 20" rifle. Still has a leg up on 5.56 for hunting use, but I'd rather bite the bullet and spend the extra for a 20" 6.5CM on an AR10 if deer is on the menu and you want to keep recoil down.
I stipulated bolt guns not AR platforms. The 22 Creedmoor would sell like fire if it were offered commercially in bolt guns from Rem, Win, Ruger, Howa, etc.
Originally Posted by Rossimp
I stipulated bolt guns not AR platforms. The 22 Creedmoor would sell like fire if it were offered commercially in bolt guns from Rem, Win, Ruger, Howa, etc.

Possibly, but also possibly not. What's your target market for that idea? Seems about half the people here think any .22 (and sometimes .24s) is too small for deer. Target shooters seem fond of 6 and 6.mms, for now anyway. AR lovers, a group I don't belong to BTW, are always futzing around with new uppers and other stuff. I believe the big money's in ammo, long term. Hornady has set the bar for gunmakers with their ammo specs, which should prevent the problems we've seen in the past with slow twists and other specification flubs. As with the 6.5 YouKnowWhat, Hornady has also avoided conflicts with existing wildcats.

If you watch the videos they've made about this, it becomes clear they have a stategy, right or wrong. We'll see.
Scuse me while I snore.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!
Hornady is already making 22 Creed brass, which tells me they're on the verge of SAAMI- izing the ammo too.
Every one poo poo'ed the 6.5 Creedmoor for YEARS then all of a sudden a few people shot them and look at it now!

Same same for this round a factory 6mm in an AR, previously unavailable.

I'm all for cartridge innovation, they can bring out 20 a week for all I care I am not forced to buy them but I appreciate the variety.

This is going to sell like hot cakes I suspect.

Mike
In my opinion the 6.5 Grendel is the best AR 15 platform. Any Hornady commercialized SA .224 pushing sleek 75 grain + high BC bullets at 3,500 fps has a bit of a lust factor. I could be wrong , but how hard is it for Hornady to offer both cartridges. After all they are the home of the Creedmoor.
You won't get an argument from me about the Grendel; I'm liking mine, a Mini, a lot, after a short time. One of Darrik's specials, I left it in the youth stock and added a slip-on pad for versatility. Replaced the DM with a hinged floorplate, and mounted a Fullfield E1 4.5-14. Pretty slick little rifle and very useful for these parts. Only about $750 invested total. Got lucky with load development: 120gr Gold Dots over 31gr of 2000MR, just under Speer's max. Those bullets are cheap and should be killer-dillers. Next trip it takes to the range willbe to check drops at 200 and 300, as far as I have access to, and much farther than I ever expect to shoot at game, deer anyway.

My stock answer to why companies do or don't offer stuff is that if they think they'll make money with something, they'll make it. The reverse is also true, and they pay someone pretty well to figure that stuff out. In this case, it may be as simple as the resources aren't available to do both at once. Or, since they make .22 Creed brass already (someone here said), sales of that aren't good enough to take the full plunge as yet. Call and ask.

I think the new little 6 will do okay, might even get one, though I have it pretty well surrounded by my Grendel, a .243, and a 6CM. Like the other small 6s, barrel life should be very good compared to bigger ones, with a bit more power than 6x45s and such, 100gr + bullets at the same speed as they push 85s.
#ARCnation
Tight twist 6ppc with shoulder moved forward slightly? I love my little 6PPC sako AI sporter repeater and regret only Sako made factory ppcs and not in much volume.

While I'm not a fan of plagiarism but if it results in more PPC bolt rifles then that's a positive.
If you look at this from a bolt gun perspective, you're missing much of the point. The case, like the .24 Nosler, allows long high-BC bullets to be used within the mag constraints of an AR. PPCs are designed around short bullets in slow twists for benchrest shooting, and also varmints as a sideline. Your Sako is twisted 1-14, IIRC, like a lot of 6x45 and 6x47 rifles, which is why stubby Nosler Partitions were popular for deer hunting with those. If the throats of the ARC rifles are long like the .24 Nosler, it may be hard to get light varmint bullets to shoot well.
Originally Posted by JPro
Do a lot of guys shoot 24" AR rifles for the roles the 6mmARC is to fill? The chambering doesn't seem useless or anything, but I'm a little less interested when you start carving off 150fps for use in a typical 20" rifle. Still has a leg up on 5.56 for hunting use, but I'd rather bite the bullet and spend the extra for a 20" 6.5CM on an AR10 if deer is on the menu and you want to keep recoil down.

https://news.barrett.net/2020/06/03/barrett-announces-shipment-of-6mm-arc-rifles-to-us-dod/

Barrett is getting ~2,630+ fps with factory 108s in 18" barrels. Saw other pictures on The Hide where a guy averaged 2,698 fps with the same ammo in a 20". That's not too bad on the velocity loss, and plenty useable.

I like shooting long range, and I like shooting ARs at long range. I like my Creedmoors and my 6.5G, but the Creedmoor doesn't fit in an AR-15 and real world velocities with my 6.5 Grendel are about 200 fps slower than the ARC, with lower BC bullets.

My only questions are 18" or 20"? Medium or heavy profile? LR/hunting combo or heavy LR bench rig? Once I get the answers to those figured out, I'll be ordering a barrel for sure.
I think it would be a fine choice for the 223 length Barrett Fieldcraft that we are not going to get.
I think this is more for the prs crowd.. not the hunting crowd.. which nothing wrong with that.. this also can be used in the NRA AR tactical Mid-range prone class. I will definitely put one together for the purpose of shooting AR tactical class
What's the military using it for exactly, besides whacking bad guys?
Quick run of numbers but I don’t see how a 1-10 twist 243 beats this cartridge.

108’s for the win!

That ballistic advantage 20” dmr profile looks like a good bet. Should be a cvnt hair over 2.5 pounds.
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
What's the military using it for exactly, besides whacking bad guys?

It looks to be a small quantity T & E contract. They want to see what it can do and how well the grunts like it.
Looks good to me.
Hornady is in business to make money. Anyone involved in sales knows that it is a "numbers game". If you ain't pitching, you ain't selling. If you ain't selling, you ain't making money. And after you sell so much of one thing, you need to be pitching something new... Same reason there are eighty eleven flavors of Italian salad dressing on the grocery shelf...

I have no personal interest in the 6mmARC just like I have no personal interest in the 6.5 Creedmoor. However, I am glad that they are selling because that means that the ammunition and firearms manufacturers are making money. Which increases the likelihood they will still be around to produce the things that I am personally interested in...
Thanks. Will be interesting to see where it goes.

Question, for the hell of it.

How could you get more out of the AR15 than this? More is whatever you want. I like accuracy, range, lethality...
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Hornady is in business to make money. Anyone involved in sales knows that it is a "numbers game". If you ain't pitching, you ain't selling. If you ain't selling, you ain't making money. And after you sell so much of one thing, you need to be pitching something new... Same reason there are eighty eleven flavors of Italian salad dressing on the grocery shelf...

I have no personal interest in the 6mmARC just like I have no personal interest in the 6.5 Creedmoor. However, I am glad that they are selling because that means that the ammunition and firearms manufacturers are making money. Which increases the likelihood they will still be around to produce the things that I am personally interested in...

Bingo! Never could understand all the flack anything new catches here. It's all good, and almost everything is interesting to me even if I don't have any use for it right then.
Agreed, a healthy firearms/ammo industry is good for us! '
Now house it in a micro bolt action (in stainless) and they will sell. Bonus points for a trim stock.
Originally Posted by AKduck
Now house it in a micro bolt action (in stainless) and they will sell. Bonus points for a trim stock.

Was thinking one in SS with a youth stock would be a killer little rifle for wife/kids. 103s for play and 95 lrx to take care of business.
I'll take one in an ar please and another necked to 22 with about a 6.5 twist for 88s.

Bb
I'm going to wait for reports on bolt durability.
I’m glad there appears to be a factory 6mm for the AR15 platform, set up for success. As for getting ‘more’ from the platform, Hornady had their reasons, that won’t all make sense to some.....there’s an argument that a different case, that allowed a different bolt head thickness/higher pressure, would seem to have given more versatility or potential or efficiency in shorter barrels. However, maybe (just maybe) Hornady figured out what (they believe) is the maximum potential there for a 6mm in the AR mag length, and that the lower pressure option was better from a factory sales standpoint? No idea...just trying to see it from outside this bubble. As long as the pressure is kept down, the bolts aren’t likely to be an issue, and it’s a win for the gun and shooting it. IF I was doing much with an AR15 past 300, for hunting use, it would be the best factory option I’ve seen.....however, it can also be the longer range precision package that beats all else, for performance vs size and weight. At 18” and under, and normal deer/hog ranges, there’s other players, but it may work there just fine, also. I haven’t looked into that 108 vs the 103 on game, but the 140/147 6.5 ELDM works very good on deer, IME....at medium velocities.
Originally Posted by Calvin

Was thinking one in SS with a youth stock would be a killer little rifle for wife/kids. 103s for play and 95 lrx to take care of business.

Yes. Where I’m at I don’t even have to have SS but would prefer it.
Yeah....that, too....I would be in for a mini-action, lightweight, hunting gun, too.

Yes. Where I’m at I don’t even have to have SS but would prefer it.

Howa is on Hornady's list of industry partners in the cartridge rollout, so I assume a mini chambered in the ARC will be forthcoming at some point.

Not just for the wife and kids. This is about what I have been looking for for a woods deer rifle. Was going to build a 6x45 or a 6mm br, but this will be better if it has good factory support.
If Howa would go back to SS I’d be on the mini. As it sits, the kids are shooting my Kimber 223 with a pair of 6 Creeds standing by for when they step up in recoil.
Originally Posted by vabowhntr

Not just for the wife and kids. This is about what I have been looking for for a woods deer rifle. Was going to build a 6x45 or a 6mm br, but this will be better if it has good factory support.

+1
If Howa would go back to SS I’d be on the mini. As it sits, the kids are shooting my Kimber 223 with a pair of 6 Creeds standing by for when they step up in recoil.

Pretty sure it's Legacy driving that bus, not Howa. I've had down-under types tell me they get SS Minis. Weatherby still sells SS Vanguards. Anyway, while I definitely prefer SS, I'm not gonna fret over a $400 rifle getting a few freckles.

Have an extra stock fom my $359 Mini Grendel package. Have to keep an eye out for barreled actions at Brownells.
Watching YouTube vids. Hornady says basically it'll get at least 100 fps more hand loading above Salami for bolt guns..
Watching YouTube vids. Hornady says basically it'll get at least 100 fps more hand loading above Salami for bolt guns..

We need boomer stocked 6arc minis
Id bet at east 100fps more....you could load to the case pressure, and not the hogged out AR bolt pressure limitations.

maybe

maybe

I need 3 if that helps getting things started
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
Id bet at east 100fps more....you could load to the case pressure, and not the hogged out AR bolt pressure limitations.

If you're going to load to case pressure in a bolt gun then the ARC and crappy ass Hornady brass isn't the way to go...just do a PPC and use Lapua brass.
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey

If you're going to load to case pressure in a bolt gun then the ARC and crappy ass Hornady brass isn't the way to go...just do a PPC and use Lapua brass.

I’m sure folks will be waiting for others to start making some good brass, or just make their own from other stuff, and others had rather just go pick up some good AMMO at a box store....PPC will still be an outlier as far as market goes....the better cartridge rarely gets mainstream, it seems. There’s a passion for the easy button these days.
I like the case design better than the PPC. The horror.
For those who don’t want the Hornady brass can you not just neck Grendel lapua brass down or have I misunderstood something?

I would rather have lapua brass too and would likely do that if it’s a option. That said I think the hornady brass will be fine for a deer rifle.
From what I can tell it would require a shoulder bump and a trim to use Grendel brass.
Pretty much same as the 6mm Grendel, 243LBC, and 6mm AR.

I'm sure it would be easy to form up some Lapua 6.5 brass.

I'm very excited about this 6mm ARC and using some Barnes 85 TTSX for deer and pig slaying smile wink
© 24hourcampfire