Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by JPro
Do a lot of guys shoot 24" AR rifles for the roles the 6mmARC is to fill? The chambering doesn't seem useless or anything, but I'm a little less interested when you start carving off 150fps for use in a typical 20" rifle. Still has a leg up on 5.56 for hunting use, but I'd rather bite the bullet and spend the extra for a 20" 6.5CM on an AR10 if deer is on the menu and you want to keep recoil down.

https://news.barrett.net/2020/06/03/barrett-announces-shipment-of-6mm-arc-rifles-to-us-dod/

Barrett is getting ~2,630+ fps with factory 108s in 18" barrels. Saw other pictures on The Hide where a guy averaged 2,698 fps with the same ammo in a 20". That's not too bad on the velocity loss, and plenty useable.

I like shooting long range, and I like shooting ARs at long range. I like my Creedmoors and my 6.5G, but the Creedmoor doesn't fit in an AR-15 and real world velocities with my 6.5 Grendel are about 200 fps slower than the ARC, with lower BC bullets.

My only questions are 18" or 20"? Medium or heavy profile? LR/hunting combo or heavy LR bench rig? Once I get the answers to those figured out, I'll be ordering a barrel for sure.

Last edited by Gtscotty; 06/04/20.
GB1

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I think it would be a fine choice for the 223 length Barrett Fieldcraft that we are not going to get.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think this is more for the prs crowd.. not the hunting crowd.. which nothing wrong with that.. this also can be used in the NRA AR tactical Mid-range prone class. I will definitely put one together for the purpose of shooting AR tactical class

Last edited by 79S; 06/04/20.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What's the military using it for exactly, besides whacking bad guys?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Quick run of numbers but I don’t see how a 1-10 twist 243 beats this cartridge.

108’s for the win!

That ballistic advantage 20” dmr profile looks like a good bet. Should be a cvnt hair over 2.5 pounds.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
What's the military using it for exactly, besides whacking bad guys?

It looks to be a small quantity T & E contract. They want to see what it can do and how well the grunts like it.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Looks good to me.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Hornady is in business to make money. Anyone involved in sales knows that it is a "numbers game". If you ain't pitching, you ain't selling. If you ain't selling, you ain't making money. And after you sell so much of one thing, you need to be pitching something new... Same reason there are eighty eleven flavors of Italian salad dressing on the grocery shelf...

I have no personal interest in the 6mmARC just like I have no personal interest in the 6.5 Creedmoor. However, I am glad that they are selling because that means that the ammunition and firearms manufacturers are making money. Which increases the likelihood they will still be around to produce the things that I am personally interested in...

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thanks. Will be interesting to see where it goes.

Question, for the hell of it.

How could you get more out of the AR15 than this? More is whatever you want. I like accuracy, range, lethality...

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Hornady is in business to make money. Anyone involved in sales knows that it is a "numbers game". If you ain't pitching, you ain't selling. If you ain't selling, you ain't making money. And after you sell so much of one thing, you need to be pitching something new... Same reason there are eighty eleven flavors of Italian salad dressing on the grocery shelf...

I have no personal interest in the 6mmARC just like I have no personal interest in the 6.5 Creedmoor. However, I am glad that they are selling because that means that the ammunition and firearms manufacturers are making money. Which increases the likelihood they will still be around to produce the things that I am personally interested in...

Bingo! Never could understand all the flack anything new catches here. It's all good, and almost everything is interesting to me even if I don't have any use for it right then.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Agreed, a healthy firearms/ammo industry is good for us! '

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now house it in a micro bolt action (in stainless) and they will sell. Bonus points for a trim stock.

Yup.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by AKduck
Now house it in a micro bolt action (in stainless) and they will sell. Bonus points for a trim stock.

Was thinking one in SS with a youth stock would be a killer little rifle for wife/kids. 103s for play and 95 lrx to take care of business.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'll take one in an ar please and another necked to 22 with about a 6.5 twist for 88s.

Bb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm going to wait for reports on bolt durability.

Politics is War by Other Means
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I’m glad there appears to be a factory 6mm for the AR15 platform, set up for success. As for getting ‘more’ from the platform, Hornady had their reasons, that won’t all make sense to some.....there’s an argument that a different case, that allowed a different bolt head thickness/higher pressure, would seem to have given more versatility or potential or efficiency in shorter barrels. However, maybe (just maybe) Hornady figured out what (they believe) is the maximum potential there for a 6mm in the AR mag length, and that the lower pressure option was better from a factory sales standpoint? No idea...just trying to see it from outside this bubble. As long as the pressure is kept down, the bolts aren’t likely to be an issue, and it’s a win for the gun and shooting it. IF I was doing much with an AR15 past 300, for hunting use, it would be the best factory option I’ve seen.....however, it can also be the longer range precision package that beats all else, for performance vs size and weight. At 18” and under, and normal deer/hog ranges, there’s other players, but it may work there just fine, also. I haven’t looked into that 108 vs the 103 on game, but the 140/147 6.5 ELDM works very good on deer, IME....at medium velocities.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Calvin

Was thinking one in SS with a youth stock would be a killer little rifle for wife/kids. 103s for play and 95 lrx to take care of business.

Yes. Where I’m at I don’t even have to have SS but would prefer it.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Yeah....that, too....I would be in for a mini-action, lightweight, hunting gun, too.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Kaleb

Yes. Where I’m at I don’t even have to have SS but would prefer it.

Howa is on Hornady's list of industry partners in the cartridge rollout, so I assume a mini chambered in the ARC will be forthcoming at some point.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V

Not just for the wife and kids. This is about what I have been looking for for a woods deer rifle. Was going to build a 6x45 or a 6mm br, but this will be better if it has good factory support.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 3,072 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,382
Posts18,469,572
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.