Home
Ok,,,,,, I was having a conversation the other day, and was asked this "Question", What do Hunting Guides Carry, Long-Gun or Handgun,,,,, I had to think about that for a few min's...... and as I understand it,,,,,,,,, Guides in Alaska, carry Long-Guns for the most part,,,,,,,,, and Guides/PH's in Africa carry Long-Guns as well,,,,,,, and I know for a Fact that a Hunting Guide in Idaho, can "Only" carry a Side-Arm/Handgun,,,,,,,, what about the other 7-Western States...... ? What say you........ cool Lj
Ask aste, his dad was one of the best in Idaho.
Ok,,,,,,, thanks, but I don't understand your reply,,,,, can you elaborate..... ? cool Lj
If you watch Billy molls's videos he carries both. a 375 Ruger and a Smith N frame
Why would guides in Idaho only be allowed to carry a handgun? That is the first I have heard of that.
Ok,,,,,, Billy is Guiding in Alaska,,,, and Alaskan Guides can and do Carry a Long-Gun, as I pointed out in my Post above, what I'm looking for, is the rest of the 7-Western lower-48, as I've already confirmed Idaho...... cool Lj
Ok,,,,,,, you'll have to ask Idaho Fish&Game..... cool Lj
A knife.
I believe Billy carries an M-70 in 375 Hoot n Holler. Ive been watching a bunch of his videos and that’s what he was carrying at least in the 2010-2013. Maybe he changed after that.

Edit; he now carries a 375 Ruger Alaskan. The M-70 was lost in a river crossing.
Hey Mark,,,,,, Yea, I've seen some of his video's,,,,, but again, he is Hunting/Guiding in Alaska, and the Guides up here are able to carry a Long-Gun, of their choosing..... still looking for info: from the Lower-48 7-Western States, as Idaho limits Guides to a Hand-Gun carry only....... cool Lj
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
A knife.

...in their teeth...
I generally carry both. Montana. Depends if grizz needs to be considered on what caliber I carry.

Why wouldn’t a guide in idaho be able to carry a rifle. What if had tag and was hunting as well as guiding. I have shot animals while guiding if I had a tag my hunter didn’t and they didn’t object. Never guided in idaho but am right next door and haven’t heard of this.
Originally Posted by shootAI
I generally carry both. Montana. Depends if grizz needs to be considered on what caliber I carry.

Why wouldn’t a guide in idaho be able to carry a rifle. What if had tag and was hunting as well as guiding. I have shot animals while guiding if I had a tag my hunter didn’t and they didn’t object. Never guided in idaho but am right next door and haven’t heard of this.

In AK it is illegal for a guide to shoot a big game animal if he has a client "in the field." Even if the client has finished his hunt, but is still there. Jim West got to find out the hard way on that one.
Originally Posted by AK375DGR
Ok,,,,,, I was having a conversation the other day, and was asked this "Question", What do Hunting Guides Carry, Long-Gun or Handgun,,,,, I had to think about that for a few min's...... and as I understand it,,,,,,,,, Guides in Alaska, carry Long-Guns for the most part,,,,,,,,, and Guides/PH's in Africa carry Long-Guns as well,,,,,,, and I know for a Fact that a Hunting Guide in Idaho, can "Only" carry a Side-Arm/Handgun,,,,,,,, what about the other 7-Western States...... ? What say you........ cool Lj

you seem to be the only one that knows that fact.
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

In AK it is illegal for a guide to shoot a big game animal if he has a client "in the field." Even if the client has finished his hunt, but is still there. Jim West got to find out the hard way on that one.

Interesting. I did not know that. Guess every state is a little different. So how do they figure when the hunt is over ? Filled tags obviously doesn’t qualify. I assume you must not be with with a client at any stage of the operation?

Reread your post and decided I didn’t read it correctly the first time. I see the part of in the field. Interesting, but must of been made a law for a reason.
This guy is trolling, big time.

Why adamantly ask about the "other 7-Western States" when his post is in the Alaska forum?
What the hell are the "other 7-Western States" anyhow? I count 11 continuous US states west of and including MT, WY, CO and NM.
I have spent more than a little bit of time in Idaho (including being a guide several years ago) and have never heard of them not being able to carry a long gun while guiding. That's either a somewhat new regulation or a complete fib.
Look at the stupid ,,,,,, syntax. This isn't his first foray here.
I carry BobBrown's COCK.

#twohands
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Sadly, I disagree.
Originally Posted by cwh2

Sadly, I disagree.

May I ask your opinion as to why he is asking what he is?
Im not really sure that all the dots are... connected.

But a guide in Alaska can shoot a big game animal if it charges can they not?
Originally Posted by bluefish

But a guide in Alaska can shoot a big game animal if it charges can they not?

Of course they can, but that is not hunting per se.

Interesting. I did not know that. Guess every state is a little different. So how do they figure when the hunt is over ? Filled tags obviously doesn’t qualify. I assume you must not be with with a client at any stage of the operation?

Reread your post and decided I didn’t read it correctly the first time. I see the part of in the field. Interesting, but must of been made a law for a reason.

many guides have been caught because they tagged an animal shot by a client. A rather famous family tiff resulted in a sister dropping a dime (stack of videos actually) on two of her brothers, one dead. Both brothers were involved...

Why adamantly ask about the "other 7-Western States" when his post is in the Alaska forum?
What the hell are the "other 7-Western States" anyhow? I count 11 continuous US states west of and including MT, WY, CO and NM.
I have spent more than a little bit of time in Idaho (including being a guide several years ago) and have never heard of them not being able to carry a long gun while guiding. That's either a somewhat new regulation or a complete fib.

Completely agree. Confident he could find phone numbers online for all the states he interested in and simply call them.... Or continue to adamantly ask people who may or may not know the answer.
Not that its relevant but 3 months of the year I carry a Glock 20 with me guiding fishing trips. Once we kill a big game animal a Glock 20 is on me at all times. While the rifle is close by generally speaking.
Originally Posted by aheider

Completely agree. Confident he could find phone numbers online for all the states he interested in and simply call them.... Or continue to adamantly ask people who may or may not know the answer.

Or.......you could accept that this is a "forum". Or you could become an "Adult", perhaps "choose" which threads you wished to participate in, allow others the option to participate in threads of their choice. Or you could continue to be a spoiled brat, special snowflake, with delusionary thinking that throwing a tantrum, makes a difference.

You could even "start" threads about subjects that interests you.

I'm not sure if it is true or not, but if it is, I might have some insight. A friend ... older than my dad ... used to guide in Idaho. The guides killed most of the game. He told me once about shooting 5 bulls out of a herd then dragging the customers, who were back in camp drinking, out to do the tagging. Other times, if they weren't as far back in the bushes and they might get checked, the guide would tag an animal with his tag temporarily 'til a customer could tag it.

We had similar situations arise when I was guiding fishermen ... 20+ years ago.

Because of that, I can see good reason to not allow a guide to hunt or fish any time they have customers in the field. It removes several paths to cover poaching.

Tom
The fellow that hosted me in the Yukon carried a 375H&H the 1st time and a 9.3x62 the 2nd.
Originally Posted by AGL4now

Or.......you could accept that this is a "forum". Or you could become an "Adult", perhaps "choose" which threads you wished to participate in, allow others the option to participate in threads of their choice. Or you could continue to be a spoiled brat, special snowflake, with delusionary thinking that throwing a tantrum, makes a difference.

You lecturing someone else on "becoming an adult", "being a "special snowflake" and "throwing a tantrum" on a forum is laughable at best, though I am convinced you're here only to troll too.
I always love posts that begin with " I don't know if it's true or not "
Originally Posted by 458Win

They are almost as good as the facbook posts that go like this..." 9mm for bear defense"....yea I guess...some guy did it in Alaska a few years ago....guy definintely ddint know anything about bears or been around them much otherwise he would have had a 500 Smith"
My favorite stories start with "this one time, at band camp"
Originally Posted by gitem_12

They are almost as good as the facbook posts that go like this..." 9mm for bear defense"....yea I guess...some guy did it in Alaska a few years ago....guy definintely ddint know anything about bears or been around them much otherwise he would have had a 500 Smith"

Hey there gitem_12,,,,, that some guy in Alaska, was the guy you just "Quoted Above" 458Win, yea,,,,, the guy that doesn't know much about Bears,,,,,, looks like you kind-a step in it a bit with your Post........ cry
Umm, hey there. Sorry but this forum doesn’t have a sarcasm font. So you’re forced to interpret it from past knowledge of the poster, or realizing that the story has been posted here before. By Phil, as a matter of fact.
So, swing and a miss!!
I don't know,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,what they do,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,in those,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,other,7(?) western states,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I usually carry my Barret BMG .50,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,in my side holster,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Just sayin',,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Originally Posted by AGL4now

Apparently my response was too much and you were unable to follow your own advice and simple move on. Maybe I should have been more clear, and just mentioned if you have a question about the legality of a guide carrying a weapon in multiple states, my suggestion would be to talk with the actual authority rather than trust an Internet forum. But that’s just me.
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Umm, hey there. Sorry but this forum doesn’t have a sarcasm font. So you’re forced to interpret it from past knowledge of the poster, or realizing that the story has been posted here before. By Phil, as a matter of fact.
So, swing and a miss!!

Or, simply being able to read and comprehend.

It’s a gift!!

Hey there gitem_12,,,,, that some guy in Alaska, was the guy you just "Quoted Above" 458Win, yea,,,,, the guy that doesn't know much about Bears,,,,,, looks like you kind-a step in it a bit with your Post........ cry

Too funny. Gitem knew it was Phil. Re-read his post s-l-o-w-e-r.
Ok,,,,,, I've got some additional info/intel regarding this Post, my information on Idaho was partially correct, ie... as per an email from Idaho Outfitters and Guides Board Secretary, it said that, that particular Outfitter for whom that particular Guide works for, decides what type of Firearm that Guide can carry,,,,,, so I got some bogus-intel at the start, [bleep] happens....
And after talking with Wyoming Outfitters Board, they had the same answer for the most part, but if Hunting in Grizzly-Bear Country, it is Customary for the Guide to have an adequate Long-Gun, and a Handgun as well, especially during gutting/butchering/quartering, a downed animal she said.
Montana Outfitters & Guides Board said just about the same thing as Wyo. & ID.
Waiting to hear back from, CO.~ OR.~ AZ.~ NM.~NV. , but at this point, I've found out, about what I needed to know for now.....
So, this was not a "Troll" at work here, just a guy asking a few questions,,,, after all, this is a Public Hunting Information Forum, is it not......? What ever happened to just having a conversation, and Wow, some of you guys go-off the DEEP-END real Quick,,,,, and remind me of "Chicken-Little" and the Sky is Falling............ cry
Ok,,,, that's all I got, for now. cool Lj
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
So, swing and a miss!!

Or, simply being able to read and comprehend.

It’s a gift!!

A gift that keeps on giving!
Or something like that. 😉
Ok,,,,,, I've got some additional info/intel regarding this Post, my information on Idaho was partially correct, ie... as per an email from Idaho Outfitters and Guides Board Secretary, it said that, that particular Outfitter for whom that particular Guide works for, decides what type of Firearm that Guide can carry,,,,,, so I got some bogus-intel at the start, [bleep] happens....

But fück an A, it is a confirmed FACT Idaho guides can't carry long arms,,,,.

May I ask why you're still refusing to call the various game departments and ask your question? You've gone from asking folks on an internet forum (who generally do give good advice but most have admitted they're not 100% sure about your particular question) to calling and quoting various outfitter and guide organizations. Folks here can give good advice on what to do and where to do it as it pertains to hunting, but generally don't like to answer legality questions unless they're 100% sure and most people here are not guides in western states. Cut to the chase and just call the game departments.

I am also still wondering what the 7 "other" western states are.

Good luck with your quest, but if you're not trolling I suggest you really think about how you're asking this question.
Haha, I should start a new thread on “”guides”... they’re not always what they’re supposed to be. Grin
As a aside, I never carry a pistola, been concerned a time or 3 in montucky carrying my beloved 257 Roy with 100’s, and only a belly full! Haha

Pard was fairly concerned while I was workin meat. Grin

And I especially want to include trolls with over 15,000 posts who have probably never seen a big bear !
I don’t know Phil... Sounds like they are playing for one of those village kid slots where they go after Grizzlies with coordinated fire from 1022s. They disappear out there every once in a while so there are always openings for the team.
Ph uck I just ate a box of thin mint Girl Scout cookies..
I don't know what guides carry or care that much. I always carry a handgun because it is always with me when I have to set the rifle down. Most of the time it was concern about people. Some of the strangest characters have been met out hunting. The second concern was mtn lions and unlike some I never found the weight of the revolver burdensome and can use it to dispatch a deer with less mess than a rifle. Now we have grizzlies within 50 miles of the house in places I hunt. I did know a fella who was killed by a grizzly while gutting out an elk in MT.

huh, not much into reading comprehension are you. now I understand your OP better
Wait a minute here , do you mean to tell me a bunch of old men can't agree on something? Next you'll try to tell me that 24hfcf threads go off topic and devolve into internet dick measuring contests . I find both those things VERY hard to believe. Those things NEVER happen here....
lj
Why you gotta abuse punctuation like dat?

Sheesh!

Hold into the upper case!!

But fück an A, it is a confirmed FACT Idaho guides can't carry long arms,,,,.

May I ask why you're still refusing to call the various game departments and ask your question? You've gone from asking folks on an internet forum (who generally do give good advice but most have admitted they're not 100% sure about your particular question) to calling and quoting various outfitter and guide organizations. Folks here can give good advice on what to do and where to do it as it pertains to hunting, but generally don't like to answer legality questions unless they're 100% sure and most people here are not guides in western states. Cut to the chase and just call the game departments.

I am also still wondering what the 7 "other" western states are.

Good luck with your quest, but if you're not trolling I suggest you really think about how you're asking this question.

T_Inman, all of your questions have been answered in my last Post, as you "Quoted part of it above", did you not read the entire Post,,,,, and quite frankly, I think you are the "Troll" here, that's my Story, and I'm Sticking to it....... cool Lj
Ok,,,,,, I'll work on that..... cool Lj
Originally Posted by 79S
Ph uck I just ate a box of thin mint Girl Scout cookies..

damnit! now i will be craving those things the rest of the week!

T_Inman, all of your questions have been answered in my last Post, as you "Quoted part of it above", did you not read the entire Post,,,,, and quite frankly, I think you are the "Troll" here, that's my Story, and I'm Sticking to it....... cool Lj

Fair enough.
I probably should have put 2 and 2 together when you were listing those various states, but for whatever reason didn't. I am a bit confused as to why WA, CA and UT were not included as they (UT and WA at least) have guiding associations too. All of my questions were not answered in your last post however: but honestly they're really not needing to be.

Carry on, I guess. Good luck in the field.
I did a little odd job fill-in for a packer/outfitter, last thing he always checked when departing the trailhead...made sure he had toilet paper and a shoeing hammer. Amusing maybe, but true. Would have been much more dramatic to pull out a big revolver and spin the cylinder for the clients.
They all carry creedmores! Bwahaha
I have hunted off and on for 20 years with Alaskan master guide Dave Lazier. His back up gun was (is) a boat paddle Ruger 77 30 06 loaded with 220 gr factory.

He also uses a mod 37 Ithaca loaded with Brenke slugs. Have seen him use both and some of those bears might have had powder burns on them.

Occasionally He would carry a Mod. .29 .44 if we were just gathering fire wood or camp chores.

He has been guiding over 30 years and a bear hasn't eaten him yet.

Lefty
© 24hourcampfire