Home
Posted By: AGL4now For ALASKA Only - What ATV - 03/31/23
I could use help with purchasing a "NEW" ATV. Budget is $15,000.00 (Can go more if necessary).

I will never hunt with it or recreational trail ride with it. I only need it to get the mail and haul groceries up the mountain. "BUT" it needs to be re-sellable when they put me in a Pioneer Home. So, I need to purchase what will appeal to an experienced "Alaska" hunter utilizing an ATV. Feel free to ask questions. It will need to be a new ATV. I don't need to spend the whole $15,000.00 but it needs to be re-sellable to the Alaska market. THANK YOU.
I like my Polaris 6x6 Sportsman. I use mine around the place dragging a mower and to get up the hill during breakup when the road is crappy. Has a nice size bed in back for groceries, a double up seat in case you have another future Pioneer Home visitor stop by and it's not big and wide like a side by side. I paid about $10,000 for mine in 2018. Still has the tits on the tires. I think resale depends on how new it looks and how bad a guy wants it.
the most reliable and re-sellable would be the Honda 500 Foreman, it's also far better on gas mileage than the bigger ATV's and still gets you to the same places at the same time, the straight axle ATV's don't rip up the trails as bad & as quickly as the independent suspension quads, they are absolute hell on destroying trails

Honda ATV's also last far longer on the salt beaches than any other brand, and this was tested continuously over the last 40 years

I wouldn't pay dime for anything Polaris
Posted By: AGL4now Re: For ALASKA Only - What ATV - 03/31/23
Originally Posted by Swamplord
the most reliable and re-sellable would be the Honda 500 Foreman, it's also far better on gas mileage than the bigger ATV's and still gets you to the same places at the same time, the straight axle ATV's don't rip up the trails as bad & as quickly as the independent suspension quads, they are absolute hell on destroying trails

Honda ATV's also last far longer on the salt beaches than any other brand, and this was tested continuously over the last 40 years

I wouldn't pay dime for anything Polaris

"WOW" a million THANK YOU'S. Exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks.
Posted By: chuda Re: For ALASKA Only - What ATV - 03/31/23
Polaris uses a belt you don't want that Honda is shaft drive. try the rest buy the best Honda
Posted By: AGL4now Re: For ALASKA Only - What ATV - 03/31/23
The "GOAL" here is what ATV has the broadest market. I suspect most would choose a $17,000.00 ATV over a $5,700.00 ATV as a gift. But the "BROADEST" market is likely in the $5,700.00 to $7,500.00 price range. Hell, anything will work for getting the mail. But my goal is to have a marketable ATV when I need to sell it at a loss.
Posted By: las Re: For ALASKA Only - What ATV - 03/31/23
I say Honda, or Yamaha, not Kawasaki. I have all 3 parked in the shed. I've been running a 2005 Rancher since I bought it used in 2011 from my hunting buddy- probably less than 200 on it- he used it mostly for driveway snow-plowing. Ran it in Kotzebue, tundra, beach, street, ice pack, fresh and salt-water crossings until 2018 - since then here in Soldotna, beach and trail riding.. Been using it caribou hunting on the Steese too. I'd go Foreman, tho, if you, and that's your flavor.

Wife bought herself a used Yamaha Kodiak 700 after our 2nd year on the Steese. I REALLY like that machine!

A friend in Ambler has a Kawasaki 600 Brute stashed here and we use it trail here, and on the Steese if son is hunting with us. (She bought herself a Honda for Ambler, I think). It is a hard starting SOB if it sits more than a couple days, but otherwise OK - just not as good as the Kodiak 700 tho.
DO NOT BUY AN ARCTIC CAT.

That's all I'm gonna bother to add to this thread, some great info has been given out so far.
Posted By: JimInAK Re: For ALASKA Only - What ATV - 03/31/23
Yamaha

For ATV - Grizzly/Kodiak 450 (with EPS).
Reliable, more fuel efficient than 700, good resale value and easy to sell on used market (especially when lightly used).

You might want to also consider an UTV. Easier to get in and out of rather climbing over an ATV.... Bucket seats vs saddle. Steering wheel and foot pedal easier to use vs handle bars and hand controls. Protection from elements in inclement weather. Heat could be an option.
At or slightly above your budget if you don't go top end models and accessories.

I too am in the NEVER Polaris camp.
I owned Honda, Suzuki, Arctic Cat, Kawasaki, and mostly Polaris since 1982. All performed well. I don’t think I ever had to take any brand back to the dealers for repairs. The Big Boss Polaris 6x6 was hands down the best.
My current atv is a Kawasaki Brute Force 750. Owned it since 2012 with zero repairs and it gets used almost every day. Only complaint is it likes gas.
Let’s bypass the atv and get you to a pioneer home with no internet. I’ll help you move. Let’s find you a place with a nice duck pond
Posted By: UpTop Re: For ALASKA Only - What ATV - 04/01/23
Honda and its not even close.
Posted By: AGL4now Re: For ALASKA Only - What ATV - 04/01/23
Originally Posted by UpTop

TO WHAT......????
The Honda 520 Foreman is the best choice! You can always sell the Foreman… I own a 2008 420 Rancher, 2015 500 Rubicon and a 2018 500 Foreman. If you buy new they are a 520 now. Hondas start and run, and don’t get stuck…
Big yamaha fan but that belt drive ain't all its cracked up to be.

Just two people sitting on a yamaha, the belts will smoke on hills. You can smell it burning up. Surely have to be in low gear with any weight.

Dog mushers all over the state hook a dmn chain on the frames of hundreds of atv's. It's the worst, constant abuse an atv could be subjected to. It ain't no fkn joyride in unit 13 once a moose season. These machines accrue thousands of pre-season training miles. These dogs yank these machines till the frames break out.

Only ones that handle that abuse is HONDA.

Some mushers have 20-30k miles on these hondas.

Excellent resale value too, honda will sell in a nano second.
... I've owned a horde of them they all got their hits and misses one thing's for sure it's got to have fuel injection that'll save you a bunch of pain but for what you're doing you should check out ....the price of these new Mid range market share takers ... at 15000.00 it would cost u 20$ once a week to get mail for a long dam time ! Lol .... 50%off here smile >
Travis Swanson is the owner of Ron's Honda in Soldotna and Wasillia.
If you both agreed on a unit, I am certain he would deliver it to you as he travels to and from each week. If you are still interested his phone is 907.262.5235. His right-hand man's name is Sean. Either will take care of you. It has been difficult for them to get 4 wheelers but they will know what's coming in and/or going on with inventory. They seem to sell as soon as they arrive...
Yamaha outboards and ATVs. Honda a close second for ATVs. Close second for Yamaha outboards are a set of oars.

Sno-goes: Ski-Doo.

A friend has a Can-Am that's an absolute beast, but I can't justify their price.
Posted By: las Re: For ALASKA Only - What ATV - 04/03/23
I'd listen to Mainer. I don't use our machines heavily, and am mechanically deficient. I didn't know the Kodiak was belt driven but we've had no problems with it, hauling 2 people or one person and a caribou for short distances- 2 miles or so. It's likely fine for us, and probably for AGL use also.

I do know Ron's is a good place to deal with.

My Rancher quit starting when I was in Kotzebue. One call to them diagnosed it as the neutral safety switch going out. This is inside the motor- a $500 fix minimum, not counting freight, and beyond anything I want to do myself. Looks complicated. The guy in Kotzebue wanted $800, plus parts, nor did I have a place to work, except on a tarp in the yard. No thanks.

"I didn't tell you this, but what you can do is buy a new one (about $80), strap it to the frame, ground it, cut the wire from the motor, plug it in as appropriate, and it should work."

That was in 2016, and it still does, tho I did wrap it securely with waterproofing at the time.

On a Steese hunt 3 years ago, It was quitting on me over rough ground, but left a couple minutes would start again. The ignition key was hard to turn also, so on getting home I ordered a new ignition, and sprayed the heck out of the old one, still in the machine, with WD40. Th new one is still on the bench. It was dust from the trip up, apparently. Now I either leave the hooded key in or tape over the key hole for the drive.

I learn a lot from s**t going south, but seldom the same thing twice. smile
Posted By: Vek Re: For ALASKA Only - What ATV - 04/03/23
If you get the honda with the Electric Shift transmission, with thumb buttons on the left handle controls, the ES mechanism will stick at some point in its life. You'll need to disassemble, clean, and reassemble with grease that doesn't turn into glue like the old honda OEM grease. Can't remember what I used; maybe a lucas synthetic grease. Maybe they've changed since 2000 or so. Really not that big a deal. Also, the shift mechanism requires some semblance of battery health to work...charging power won't be enough to make it shift all the time. At least in my experience.

Honda gives you a lever in the toolkit that will slip onto a little stub where a foot shifter normally is, and let you manually shift a stuck ES. Done it, it works.

I'd way rather have all of that ES stuff than any belt drive.

I'd way rather have a manual foot shifter. As far as I know, on a 4x4 machine, that's only available on a Suzuki king quad or the honda rancher.
I have a Yamaha Kodiak 700 - best machine I have ever owned. (Owned Polaris, CF Moto) I wanted a Honda 500, but couldn't find one at the time and lucked into the Yamaha and its been awesome.

My advice would be to buy "Japanese" - Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki.
Posted By: AGL4now Re: For ALASKA Only - What ATV - 04/04/23
The GOAL here is NOT what is the best brand or model. What I really want to know what machine "OUTSELLS" all others in Alaska. I don't care about the features, but there is a reason ONE MACHINE outsells all others. Maybe it is price or features or likely a combination of both. I know I'll lose money; the goal is a quick sale when they put me in an institution (Pioneer Home). Thank You for the replies.
Sidenote on sale price. You'll get your best price if you designate someone to sell your stuff that's not headed to the Pioneer Home.
A gentleman recently advertised an outboard on the radio. It was an amazing deal and my wife just happened to be in town. She drove all the way out East End with me on the phone. The gentleman was digging the snow away from the motor and his wife hurried to meet my wife at the truck. She apologized profusely because the gentleman "misspoke" the price on the radio by at only 1/3 what it was worth. Seems he was having a problem with that lately. He realized what he had done and apologized profusely as well. I'm glad it was us and not someone who was less understanding.
Originally Posted by AGL4now
The GOAL here is NOT what is the best brand or model. What I really want to know what machine "OUTSELLS" all others in Alaska. I don't care about the features, but there is a reason ONE MACHINE outsells all others. Maybe it is price or features or likely a combination of both. I know I'll lose money; the goal is a quick sale when they put me in an institution (Pioneer Home). Thank You for the replies.
I remember you were looking for a mail box rig last fall. Never found one?

A number of machines suggested will fo a great job for you, and being low mileage and in good shape will provide good return.

Quick sale is mostly price.

Don’t make it hard.
Yamaha Grizzly

Posted By: cwh2 Re: For ALASKA Only - What ATV - 04/04/23
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Yamaha Grizzly

+1
Posted By: mart Re: For ALASKA Only - What ATV - 04/04/23
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots

That's all I'm gonna bother to add to this thread, some great info has been given out so far.

Gee I wish I’d known that years ago. I bought a 650 TRV new in 2006 in Wasilla. Still have it today. I’ve used mine really hard, have only had to do oil changes and it has towed every brand of ATV out of the woods over the last 17 years. I plowed probably 100 miles of driveway with it, hauled moose and caribou out over truly rough, untrailed country, dragged way bigger logs than I imagined possible and crossed streams I probably should not have forded.

I’ll keep mine. It’s never let me down.
Our 2012 Grizzly 450 has over 6,500 hours and 20,000 miles on it.
Posted By: UpTop Re: For ALASKA Only - What ATV - 04/05/23
Originally Posted by UpTop

TO WHAT......????
The answer to your question. Hondas hold their resell value more than any other brand.......hence, HONDA and it not even close.
Posted By: AGL4now Re: For ALASKA Only - What ATV - 04/05/23
Honda "Foreman BASE Model" OR Honda Foreman "Rubicon". The total cost does not matter.
Holy Fugg. It's not that difficult. Whatever you buy, if you price it reasonable it will sell and sell pretty quickly.
Posted By: AGL4now Re: For ALASKA Only - What ATV - 04/05/23
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
Holy Fugg. It's not that difficult. Whatever you buy, if you price it reasonable it will sell and sell pretty quickly.

I started in business before most on this forum were born or a twinkle in their daddy's eyes. I was in business in 1955. I was a securities broker, owned three real estate companies, one guide outfitter company, and for entertainment I buy and sell heavy equipment. So don't need any lessons in how to market a product. Rule #1 is knowing your "market". Rule #2 is don't overpay. Rule #3 is having a plan. Rule #4 is don't pay any attention to those who think you're a fool, and that they know your business better then you.

I started in business before most on this forum were born or a twinkle in their daddy's eyes. I was in business in 1955. I was a securities broker, owned three real estate companies, one guide outfitter company, and for entertainment I buy and sell heavy equipment. So don't need any lessons in how to market a product. Rule #1 is knowing your "market". Rule #2 is don't overpay. Rule #3 is having a plan. Rule #4 is don't pay any attention to those who think you're a fool, and that they know your business better then you.

You must be a real old fart then… the Rubicon has a nicer ride than the Foreman, better suspension. I could ride either of them all day though, and I was born before you were in business…
Posted By: AGL4now Re: For ALASKA Only - What ATV - 04/06/23
I am an old fart, and very lucky to be alive. Crashed three aircraft. I think the Rubicon has both electric and pull "till you puke" start. That would be desirable for those going back country.
I am an old fart, and very lucky to be alive. Crashed three aircraft. I think the Rubicon has both electric and pull "till you puke" start. That would be desirable for those going back country.

You won’t need a pull start on these newer Hondas they start easy, fuel injected. I believe if you want to add a pull start, you need the manual shift model. I wouldn’t buy anything but the manual shift…
whatever you buy, make sure it has EPS (Electronic Power Steering)

my old man is 74 and still hunts with me, my 2017 Honda Foreman 500 has EPS, he bought one without because it was $800.00 less ...

It's a night & day difference in ease of steering control, he always gets pulled in by the ruts and now has a lot of forearm & back pain trying to wrench the steering wheel to make the bike go where he wants it to

gets even worse with half a moose on the bike

in the pic .. in front is a 2004 400 Rancher, and a 2007 500 Foreman in back, entire moose on two wheelers, one trip pack out ..... neither bike has EPS, making it a helluva chore getting the moose out on the 26 miles of hell trails

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Swamplord that pic is worth 10,000 words..mb
Posted By: mart Re: For ALASKA Only - What ATV - 04/06/23
That’s a great picture Swamplord. Hondas are good machines.

I’m not as heavily loaded here. This was a cow several years ago.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

The winch comes in handy for holding a leg when you have to dress it by yourself.

This was a 37” three brow time bull a few years after the cow but within 100 yards of where I killed the cow.

For a guy who's so darn smart, you sure have to ask a lot of stupid questions about a really simple thing.
Posted By: AGL4now Re: For ALASKA Only - What ATV - 04/06/23
For a guy who's so darn smart, you sure have to ask a lot of stupid questions about a really simple thing.

Do you know what the worm on the fishhook said to the fish.....???

"BITE-ME"
In the market my self so this thread is much appreciated. Looking at a 420 Honda rancher 2023 model for 7800 or a 2022 model Rubicon for 9450 are those prices high or normal? I won't use it everyday like you guys but it will see some use..mb
When the Rancher had the medium frame 08 - 13, and fuel injection. That was an excellent machine!
I would not buy a newer Rancher in the full sized frame! Buy the 520 engine, not the 420…
Got lucky this morning cruising the local Craigslist found a 2018 420 Rancher with irs, eps and only 742 miles locally owned by an older woman who only rode it occaisionally. Never had a kid or teenager on it, allways garaged. Not a ding or a dang on it. I was the first to call and go check it out. They listed it yesterday still can't believe I got it. Nice condition atv's around here don't exist most look throughly thrashed. This one is street ready to boot. I didn't get the price down much but condition is like new. Went down to the bank before they closed pulled the cash we did a bill of sale and transfered the title handed her the green. My f-150 has an 8' box so set up the 3 fold ramp and drove it into the back. Less than 5 miles from home. That ought to prove even a blind pig can find an acorn ever once in awhile..mb
Posted By: AGL4now Re: For ALASKA Only - What ATV - 04/08/23
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Got lucky this morning cruising the local Craigslist found a 2018 420 Rancher with irs, eps and only 742 miles locally owned by an older woman who only rode it occaisionally. Never had a kid or teenager on it, allways garaged. Not a ding or a dang on it. I was the first to call and go check it out. They listed it yesterday still can't believe I got it. Nice condition atv's around here don't exist most look throughly thrashed. This one is street ready to boot. I didn't get the price down much but condition is like new. Went down to the bank before they closed pulled the cash we did a bill of sale and transfered the title handed her the green. My f-150 has an 8' box so set up the 3 fold ramp and drove it into the back. Less than 5 miles from home. That ought to prove even a blind pig can find an acorn ever once in awhile..mb

CONGRATULATIONS
Thanks AGL I learned alot on this thread to narrow down what I needed. You asked the questions that I needed the answers for my self. Thanks again.mb
Glad somebody bought a machine because of these threads.
wink
You're gonna love the mpg on that Rancher... as compared to the bigger machines where the mpg is a toilet flushing
Yeah I am allready in love with it. Checked the hrs on it 100.9 total, I looked it over hard for the.likely spots for mud accumulation that a pressure wash won't git none nada. The gal who sold it was 70+ and it was hers from the day she got it new. This thread did more than anything to show me what kind of machine I needed. Alaska guys know what makes the grade and what don't. New one like it not currently availible around here is 9k I bought this one for 6800. Maybe to much but I've seen alot of atv's same size or larger as well as older with 5 to 10x the miles for more $'s, i'm satisfied.
Originally Posted by mart
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots

Gee I wish I’d known that years ago. I bought a 650 TRV new in 2006 in Wasilla. Still have it today. I’ve used mine really hard, have only had to do oil changes and it has towed every brand of ATV out of the woods over the last 17 years. I plowed probably 100 miles of driveway with it, hauled moose and caribou out over truly rough, untrailed country, dragged way bigger logs than I imagined possible and crossed streams I probably should not have forded.

I’ll keep mine. It’s never let me down.

Hi Mart. That was in 2006, and I'm guessing yours is pre EFI. The ones they crank out today, suck. The EFI harnesses constantly have problems and cause the quad to throw codes and not function as intended.

Add to that the whole transfer case debacle where they changed designs mid year in 2018 and if you have a pre design change quad, you have to get the upfit kit, which can only be gotten from a dealer, who won't sell it to you because you aren't a dealer. They "have to install it" and charge for labor.
Posted By: LHS905 Re: For ALASKA Only - What ATV - 04/13/23
Here's a pic of Magnum Bob's Rancher.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

It looks like a clean one.

LHS
Thanks Lyle for posting it.
Congrats Bob, way to be a man of action. Some guys waste decades, hypothetically thinking out loud, wishing and dreaming...

To quote the famous big stick

Hint hint....
Last Sept I put some cash down to pre-order a Camo 2023 Honda 520 Foreman at Ron's Honda in Wasilla, they quoted me ETA sometime in March, never showed up ...

Called them yesterday and the fella said they only received one '23 Foreman since and Honda didn't make a bunch of them , instead they went straight to manufacturing the 2024 models,
quoted ETA .... 60 more days ! not convinced ...

And no more camo , only green, tan & red

Just two weeks to flatten the curve....
Usually I like to think over big purchases overnite atleast but around here right now you damn well need to act instantly . Just like in the gunshop you see something you like or want you don't put it down till you agree on price and say I'll take it, had to learn that the hard way but only needed the lesson once. The color didn't put me off as much as Honda red or their bud light blue. Mb
Been running Honda ATV's since 1992 when I traded some work to the Honda shop in Bend Oregon for two Fourtrax 300's. I've never broke down on one that I remember. I still have one of the small ones one Honda 450 4x4 that I love.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
The camo was trash anyway, a sticker that flaked & peeled off and the 2007 Foreman ended up tan .... one hunting season & a trip to the car wash blasted away the camo sticker

the 2017 Foreman has what looks like Hydro-dipped camo and more durable than the stickers, still fading away after a few years of rough trails, brush & high pressure car wash hosing

I only use the 4 wheeler for two weeks of moose hunting every Sept and spring black bear when I have time, the rest of the year it's chained to a tree and covered by a tarp, guess the molded green color plastic cowling will alway be green on that 2024, IF it ever shows up !

Posted By: hardway Re: For ALASKA Only - What ATV - 04/15/23

Since you buy and sell heavy equipment.... Honda= Caterpillar. They are quality machines and will sell easily when priced accordingly. Just decide what features you want and buy it.... won't matter on resale as long as it's 4x4.
Posted By: AGL4now Re: For ALASKA Only - What ATV - 04/15/23
Originally Posted by hardway

Since you buy and sell heavy equipment.... Honda= Caterpillar. They are quality machines and will sell easily when priced accordingly. Just decide what features you want and buy it.... won't matter on resale as long as it's 4x4.

"PLEASE" advise which dealership you suggest I go to that has "ALL" models and colors on display, Plus they would have an additional 266 back-up units the warehouse. So, as I might choose one and leave with it.
"PLEASE" advise which dealership you suggest I go to that has "ALL" models and colors on display, Plus they would have an additional 266 back-up units the warehouse. So, as I might choose one and leave with it.

That ship pretty much sailed a couple of years ago. If you want a new ATV now just pay their price and bend over. The math is simple, if you don't someone else will.

Weren't you looking to buy an ATV a few years ago as well?
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

That ship pretty much sailed a couple of years ago. If you want a new ATV now just pay their price and bend over. The math is simple, if you don't someone else will.

Weren't you looking to buy an ATV a few years ago as well?

PLEASE be advised the "SHIP" to which you are referring is "NOT" currently available. Dealers (Including "RON'S HONDA") are not allowed to accept any deposit. You can put your name on the list. You can't order a machine, the dealers order inventory. If something shows up, they will look at their list and contact you.
Posted By: WMR Re: For ALASKA Only - What ATV - 04/15/23
OP’s been in business since 1955. He’s crashed 3 planes and is still here in 2023 shopping ATV’s at an age where most are shopping Hoverounds. Plus he got to live in Alaska. I’d call that a blessed life!
Originally Posted by WMR
OP’s been in business since 1955. He’s crashed 3 planes and is still here in 2023 shopping ATV’s at an age where most are shopping Hoverounds. Plus he got to live in Alaska. I’d call that a blessed life!

I AGREE.
Delta Power Sports has three new Honda ATVs, 2-Ranchers and one 520 Rubicon or Foreman. Don’t spend too much time thinking about it…
Posted By: AGL4now Re: For ALASKA Only - What ATV - 04/19/23
Well, I now own a 850 CanAm. Now I have to figure out how to get it from Delta Jct. to Sunrise, Alaska. So, FIRE-UP your "FLAMETHROWERS" and flame me for being stupid. It may not be re-sellable, but it should work for getting the mail.
Well, I now own a 850 CanAm. Now I have to figure out how to get it from Delta Jct. to Sunrise, Alaska. So, FIRE-UP your "FLAMETHROWERS" and flame me for being stupid. It may not be re-sellable, but it should work for getting the mail.
Congrats!

2 words - road trip.
Originally Posted by ironbender
Congrats!

2 words - road trip.

I have to figure out some other solution. I can't pass the eye exam to renew my driver's license. After age 67 you can't renew your license unless you pass the eye exam. I'll figure something out.
I’d start with Carlisle and Lynden unless you can find someone headed here. Of course half the state comes to the KP in July.
I’d start with Carlisle and Lynden unless you can find someone headed here.

Of course half of "NORTH AMERICA" comes to the KP in July.

I fixed it for you.
I’d start with Carlisle and Lynden unless you can find someone headed here. Of course half the state comes to the KP in July.

We only do it because you offer to buy the first rounds of beer.

😁😂
Posted By: cwh2 Re: For ALASKA Only - What ATV - 04/19/23
If you can get it from Delta to Anchorage/MatSu, I can get it to Sunrise.
Originally Posted by cwh2
If you can get it from Delta to Anchorage/MatSu, I can get it to Sunrise.

THANKS.

I go a little stronger... the last round and a bunk!
I remember that.

You remember “someone” breaking my toilet?

Ahem……
I remember that. Fortunately it was not me!
© 24hourcampfire