Home
Posted By: KC Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/11/11

Just got back from a hunt near Kake. Here are some photos. Everyone got something.

Joe was the first to score when he called in this wolf.
[Linked Image]

Then I got this guy. It's small but it has a real pretty coal black coat, no rubs. It will look nice under the pool table.
[Linked Image]

Josh got this one the same day that I got mine. It's bigger than mine and it has the same beautiful coat.
[Linked Image]

Tim got the nicest one. It measures about 70" from the tip of the nose to the base of the tail.
[Linked Image]

We had a great time. Joe is going back this fall.

KC

Posted By: taylorce1 Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/11/11
Awesome KC! I'm leaving on Saturday and I can't wait. What did your skulls measure???
Posted By: KC Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/11/11

taylorce1:

I didn't bother to measure the skull on mine and I don't think any of the other guys measured theirs. I guess we just didn't think it was very important.

KC

Posted By: Steelhead Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/12/11
It weren't....

Good to see a wuff.
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/12/11
It doesn't really matter just wanted to compare the big boy to my previous one. I like the wolf as well, hoping I can call one in as well while I'm up there next week.

Posted By: Big Stick Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/12/11
Woke up early to tie up some Feesh Riggin' and saw this and appreciate the chuckle,as Bear Season never ain't not hilarious.

Pretty sad when a Woof trumps the "Bears"...and points is always awarded for soaking wet Rats,laying in the ditch alongside the road. Though the humor associated with the Rubbed Rat,isn't to be totally discounted by default.

Only thing missing,is a Humpie.

Wow............

Posted By: lovemy99 Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/12/11
Originally Posted by Big Stick
....as Bear Season never ain't not hilarious

Never ain't not .... wow is right... a triple negative!!!... with English like that I figured you were from Arkansas... or Mexico...

And stated as such, I find it odd that in the end... (canceling two of the negatives out,) we are left with the fact that you find bear hunting to never be funny yet you are chuckling...just psychosis leading you to laugh when something is not funny??

I find your mastery of the English language ain't never not funny... now that is worth a laugh.
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/12/11
At least he knows a rat when he sees one. English lessons are gay.
Posted By: dubePA Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/12/11
In the spirit of Good Sportsmanship, I generally try not to pizz on someone else's parade. Sometimes I try harder'n others.

WTH, I wasn't there? Nothin' much to sneeze at, for a 70" bear and a nice wolf.
Posted By: BW Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/12/11
Really gents... those first two are just way too small. You can't travel all the way to SE Alaska, and shoot the first thing you see.

But, a good adventure is not defined by the trophy only. If a good time was had by all, and no laws were broken, then it's a success.

On the bright side, taxidermy bills are going to be very cheap for a couple of you.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/12/11
And folks wonder why Guide Only happens for non-residents.
Posted By: Dreamin Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/13/11
should be able to pass as a fox if you just tan the hide and hang it on a nail on the wall....might save you from some awkward moments
Posted By: ingwe Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/13/11
Geez these guys are catchin' schitt for shooting what was obviously the bear of their choice...

How come I don't catch this much Krapp when I shoot a dink deer????

Oh, wait a minute.....I catch more krapp than this...

That's how come...... grin
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/13/11
They are fortunate Stick has only posted once...
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/13/11
Originally Posted by lovemy99
....as Bear Season never ain't not hilarious

Never ain't not .... wow is right... a triple negative!!!... with English like that I figured you were from Arkansas... or Mexico...

And stated as such, I find it odd that in the end... (canceling two of the negatives out,) we are left with the fact that you find bear hunting to never be funny yet you are chuckling...just psychosis leading you to laugh when something is not funny??

I find your mastery of the English language ain't never not funny... now that is worth a laugh.

WooHoooooo!...Bear Season brings out ALL the Window Lickers and for some reason compels them to feign clues,in regards to the matters they know the least about. My Engleesh has no peer,nor do my Bear sizing abilities and I'm hoping you are dumb enough to tackle one,if not both.

Just gettin' home,so am easing into the Cast & Blast,but as per usual,yesterday didn't suck. Found myself releasing Trout that exceed the "Bears" pictured and curiously enough,passed a solid 7-footer that was flawless in all regards. His saving grace? Baby Boy is visiting Grandfolks with Sister and Big Momma,or he'd of received a 62TSX outta the BBMF. Luckily for Yogi,my videocamera's "record" button wouldn't actuate,or I'd of given him a 162 A-Max in the cheerio at 30yds,if only for posterity. In fairness,I wear out alotta cameras.

He'd of not dried All Time B&C,but he'd of Grossed it. Didn't schlep my long lens in on the Cursory Recon,but did affix same for the trek home and had a 6.5-footer at spittin' distance. Pardon my handholding 1/30 at 200mm focal length in very last light and the 6400 ISO...but it's an inkling.

Trout(gotta be clear for DSMFer Window Lickers).

[Linked Image]

Rat(much beeger than the Soaking one and the Rubbed one both).

[Linked Image]

MUCH looking forward to your "Tutorial(s)",frosted copiously with your "experience" and "knowledge",accumulated in the "firsthand"...so give it a whirl Toots. Points awarded for pics of ANY Bear you've sluiced,though it's gonna be another long/awkward silence.

You go girl!

As an aside,I'm all ears about the "nuances" associated with Kake................(grin)

Posted By: Kay9Cop Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/13/11
Hunting off the road near Kake isn't easy. I tried it a couple of times while I was hunting on my boat out of Kake, but it wasn't nearly as productive. The logged out sections are all overgrown and the bears are very difficult to spot. The bears there are pretty wise to the sound of a vehicle too, especially the big ones. Sows and cubs were all I ever saw off the road.

The good news though, is that a 70" bear is pretty average for that area and if you hold out a 7' bear can be had. Just cruise the coast and you'll see some really nice bears.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/13/11
Originally Posted by BigStick
passed a solid 7-footer that was flawless in all regards. His saving grace? Baby Boy is visiting Grandfolks with Sister and Big Momma,or he'd of received a 62TSX outta the BBMF.

I'm looking forward to seeing Juggie riding that one in a similar manner to his doggie ride of yore. smile

BBMF? Damn decoder ring is missing again. a little hep?

The lollipop rifle don't never not crack me up. wink
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/13/11
Mike
Guessing I can help you out on the "MF" part, "if only obviously." grin
Posted By: ironbender Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/13/11
Thanks.

If only...

Draw me a picture. wink
Posted By: jds44 Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/13/11
Originally Posted by ironbender
BBMF? Damn decoder ring is missing again. a little hep?

A picture's worth a thousand words...
[Linked Image]

Follow the link to the full size photo if you can't read the writing.
BBMF pic
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/13/11
TFF
Posted By: ribka Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/14/11
KC thanks for sharing your trip

(BTW this thread took a bizarre turn lol)
looks like a lot of fun.
How did the bear eat?

Get any fishing in while in Alaska?

I am planning next year. ANy tips advice?

T
Posted By: KC Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/14/11

Tom:

We BBQ'd some meat while we were there and it tasted OK. Not too greasy. The rest will be made into sausage and it's not back yet.

We did get in some fishing. Josh and I spent a day playing around after we got our bears. First we collected some clams

[Linked Image]

then we borrowed our hosts boat. We caught some ruffies and some black bass. Tasted great when saut�d in a sauce of butter and garlic. I don't know what kind of fish this guy was. He was all head/mouth/fins and we let him go.

[Linked Image]

I've been to Alaska several times and have written an article containing tips for the nonresident hunter. I'll forward it to you in a PM.

KC

Posted By: ironbender Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/14/11
Thanks jds44. That clears up the mystery.
Posted By: eyeball Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/14/11
Originally Posted by ingwe
Geez these guys are catchin' schitt for shooting what was obviously the bear of their choice...

i don't remember them saying they got the bear of their CHOICE. (grin)
Posted By: ribka Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/14/11
thanks kc for the pm'd info
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/15/11
An article? How to shot dinks on the road?
Posted By: ironbender Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/15/11
Originally Posted by eyeball
Originally Posted by ingwe

i don't remember them saying they got the bear of their CHOICE. (grin)

Au contraire.

There is ALWAYS a choice.
Posted By: DanInAlaska Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/15/11
Originally Posted by KC
I don't know what kind of fish this guy was. He was all head/mouth/fins and we let him go.

[Linked Image]

That's a quillback rockfish.
Posted By: KC Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/15/11

Dan:

Thanks for the info.

KC

Posted By: double tap Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/15/11
Originally Posted by DanInAlaska
Originally Posted by KC
I don't know what kind of fish this guy was. He was all head/mouth/fins and we let him go.

[Linked Image]

That's a quillback rockfish.

Okay, flame suit on, however...

5 AAC 47.020: General provisions for seasons and bag, possession, annual, and size limits for the salt waters of the Southeast Alaska Area... Section (19)(A)(i) reads, "All non-pelagic rockfish caught must be retained until the bag limit is reached."

KC, with all due respect, as a non-resident you should become familiar with the hunting/fishing regulations before you go out fishing/hunting. It seems to me an ethical transporter/outfitter would have provided you with copies of the Alaska fishing & hunting regulations. In the fishing regs for Southeast Alaska the above regulation is clearly stated, and in the back of the booklet are pictures of the non-pelagic rockfish you might catch, including the Quillback rockfish.

Maybe you already had your limit, in which case I apologize, but your post makes it sound like you released it because it was ugly and you did not know what it was instead of because you already had your limit on non-pelagic rockfish. Black, Yellowtail, and Dusky rockfish are pelagic species and are addressed under separate regulations. Is it the violation of the century, of course not, but you say you write articles about hunting/fishing in Alaska geared towards non-residents and I would hope some of your advice includes being familiar with the fish & game laws before you go into the field.

With that said, I'm glad you and your friends enjoyed your trip to our great state!

Chris
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/16/11
Would it be better to kill that fish and bury it in the garden or let it go, the law not withstanding?....'specially since there are no obvious decompression sickness signs.

...but you are correct...as far as the law goes. He should'a put the wood shampoo to that shallow water Sebastes and fed it to his cat....although it's likely that fish is far older than any cat owned by a campfire member. wink

I HATE the stupidity, reckless disregard and bycatch historically demonstrated by the commies that necessitates such ridiculous and arbitray laws enacted against recreational fishermen.
Posted By: double tap Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/16/11
Can't say I disagree with any of your comments...

Had the OP not mentioned he's an outdoor writer who has written articles on hunting in Alaska for non-residents I'd have likely not even commented on the photo. However, if folks are reading this thread with an eye to doing their own "self-guided" (I hate that term) Alaskan black bear hunt/fishing trip they should maybe familiarize themselves with the hunting/fishing regulations before venturing out with rifle and fishing rod in hand!

Chris
Posted By: trapperJ Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/16/11
I could care less if someone shoots a dink as long as that person is happy with it.But these dinks seem to be borderline illegal.

Personaly I'd be cautious of posting these pics on the web for fear of the AST looking into it.

Glad you had a good time in AK.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/16/11
Originally Posted by double tap
Can't say I disagree with any of your comments...

Had the OP not mentioned he's an outdoor writer who has written articles on hunting in Alaska for non-residents I'd have likely not even commented on the photo. However, if folks are reading this thread with an eye to doing their own "self-guided" (I hate that term) Alaskan black bear hunt/fishing trip they should maybe familiarize themselves with the hunting/fishing regulations before venturing out with rifle and fishing rod in hand!

Chris

I hear ya'....and that's pretty much where I figured you were coming from.....and with dam good reason! EVERYONE...resident or non-resident needs to know the regs.

It's not like you need an attorney to figger' it out. wink
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/16/11
Might could be the phunniest [bleep] Thread of All Time. KC's rampant stupidity is without bounds and she fancies herself as a source of "advice" for others,upon the very subject matter in which she's well beyond clueless about.

Sooooooo poignant and upon soooooo many levels and the real beauty is,none of it is on purpose! I hope she can keep the ball rolling.

I'm waiting for the kids to get home,but enjoy Sneak & Peeks and keeping tabs on a few HOGs until that time.

RAT. 6'8" square and he'd dry 20.25" B&C.

[Linked Image]

HOG. 7'6" square and he'd dry 21.5" B&C.

[Linked Image]

Nothin' is funnier than Bear Season...nothin'!...............

Posted By: Royce Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/16/11
Four years ago I stayed at one of the campgrounds on POW- Lots of groups of non residents would show up with their ultra mags to shoot bears. One particular group would gang shoot the bears, the leader proclaiming that "These big bears are almost always a group effort". The biggest of these "big bears" was not as long as my 52 inch canoe paddle. Wonder what they would have thought about the Alaska boys taking bears three times the size of their biggest bear with one shot from a 223...
Posted By: dubePA Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/16/11
Wonder what they would have thought about the Alaska boys taking bears three times the size of their biggest bear with one shot from a 223...

Stoopaficated??

Don't hunt black bears here in PA, but we have lots of 'em and some are pretty big ones. Several killed last year above 600lbs, one even bigger (close to 800lbs), but that one didn't count, as it turned out? IIRC, last fall's bear kill was over 3000, again?

I see black bears almost every year where I hunt deer, including a few that were close to 600lbs. A farmer neighbor killed one of 'em in bear season three years ago, within a stone's throw of my camp.

It was once illegal to kill cubs here in PA, then many years ago that "legality" was dropped. Any bear is now a legal bear, be it a 40lb cub, or an 80lb adult.

Peer pressure at bear check stations can be fearsome, often resulting in onlookers being chased away if they can't behave themselves, when a small bear is brought it.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/16/11
It is always interesting to see what folks do not know... but insist on spreading as gospel.

Some even do it when presented with more than enough facts to get them over the idiot hurdles...
Posted By: ironbender Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/16/11
Originally Posted by Royce
Wonder what they would have thought about the Alaska boys taking bears three times the size of their biggest bear with one shot from a 223...

It would snap 'em.
Posted By: PhilinAZ Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/17/11
Did y'all come across a sow and two cubs?
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/18/11

I for one appreciated the irony of KC's avatar vs. the beast slain.

A banjo and a little lipstick would go a long way . . .
Posted By: MtnHtr Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/18/11
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

I for one appreciated the irony of KC's avatar vs. the beast slain.

A banjo and a little lipstick would go a long way . . .

Or the irony of the initials "KC"...
Posted By: megabucks Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/20/11
Originally Posted by KC

taylorce1:

I didn't bother to measure the skull on mine and I don't think any of the other guys measured theirs. I guess we just didn't think it was very important.

KC

Fish and Game measured the skulls and they usually give you the measurement.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/20/11
Did F&G seal the bears?
Posted By: KC Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/26/11

Did F&G seal the bears?

Yes. All of the animals have been sealed properly by the F&G.

Posted By: tipmover Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/27/11
Originally Posted by BW
Really gents... those first two are just way too small. You can't travel all the way to SE Alaska, and shoot the first thing you see.

On the bright side, taxidermy bills are going to be very cheap for a couple of you.

LMFAO! Thats a polite way to put it!
Posted By: MJS Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/28/11
If they were taken legally then more power to them. I have taken some small deer in my day because I eat almost exclusively small game. Then the "holier than thou" crowd wants to criticize for not shooting larger animals. It is not a contest.

Shoot what you want. Enjoy the outdoors all of us.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/28/11
What you say makes much sense, however, if you read the whole thread you would realize the OP is giving advice on hunting AK regularly and his "success" is pretty meager for an expert...

And, the State has drastically reduced access to the very area they hunted to limit escalating pressure. Shooting yearlings is only going to encourage a negative view of nonresidents from all quarters and calls for a guide requirement will not be far behind.

While not exactly illegal it is not good for anyone...
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/28/11
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
And, the State has drastically reduced access to the very area they hunted to limit escalating pressure. Shooting yearlings is only going to encourage a negative view of nonresidents from all quarters and calls for a guide requirement will not be far behind.

While not exactly illegal it is not good for anyone...

+1
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/28/11
What I said earlier about guides. Can't wait for MJS and KC to be on here in a few years bitching because they can't hunt AK without a guide.

The enemy they are.

Of course I can't wait for the outstanding articles on how to kill a dink on the road.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/28/11
I ate my last POW BB tag. Not because I didn't see any but because I wasn't gonna' shoot a dink.

Posted By: ribka Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/28/11
Geeesh you Alaska guys are a bunch of ball busters tired

I fish quite a bit up in Alaska and have to say some of the friendliest and most helpful people I have met have been up in Alaska. And I fished and hunted all over the US and Europe. Really nice folks and some of the most beautiful and breathtaking country to be seen. Trying to talk my wife into moving up there

Anyway why not keep up your reputation and help guys like KC next time he comes up and spends his money in your state. Guessing at least one of you might be willing to help.

I was looking at an OTC elk (meat)tag in Colorado and KC was very helpful
Posted By: Calvin Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/28/11
How do you "help" a guy like KC?
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/29/11
I'm the last one who should be chiming in, but I think I would have gone home empty rather than shoot that smallest bear. I guess it's possible some may fancy young bear meat much the same as some shoot young pigs, but I always figured the hide and or head was the prize on a bear, the meat secondary. I guess the shooter of that small bear might get a nifty toilet seat cover out of that hide, but dang, aren't there any size restrictions on bear? Maybe it's just the pic, but that one looks like it weighs fifty pounds.

Well, I'm glad you all had a good time, I hope someday to hunt AK myself.
Posted By: Ready Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/29/11
I understand the drift of the AK - posters:

An outsider presenting advice to others while showing a less than squared away figure of himself rubs the wrong way and the criticicm is justified.

Still -

1) KC has conducted himself quite well restraining.

2) the criticicm could have been brought forth with quite a bit less "teeth".

3) on the question of "how to help a guy like KC", I think an honest offer "to" just might go a long ways.

After all - there is a common base line, all being hunters and al that...
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/29/11
In honesty, all things considered, retsraint has been shown... lots of it...
Posted By: Ready Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/29/11
Sitka,

it is true - one could have piled on much more vicious and more.

Would the point have been made anymore clear, though?

Have a good rest of the weekend, all.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/29/11
KC seems like a nice enough fellow to me.

One of the problems with the hunt is that advice was sought after the hunt was locked in. Plenty of advice was given, but it may have been more useful if it had been sought prior to making plans that could not be altered.
Here is the original thread:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...959196/Black_Bears_near_Kake#Post4959196
Much very good advice was offered, but could not be used at that point.

Very few (any) hunters enter the field seeking a dink. That generally is the result of "settling" for "something" or the inherent difficulty of judging an animal that has neither antler nor horn. Bears only have outward trophy signs that take experience to ascertain.

It's a case of: Good judgment comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgment.

However, as famous philosopher 2legit says; you only have to make yourself happy. It seems like those fellers are happy with their hunt.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/29/11
In Stick's defense, at least he's an equal opportunity "disser":

No Grizzlies on Admiralty...but the boys did find the Rat Patch!

Kake's lack of pressure,gene pool,forgiving terrain and layout,make it easily one of the best bets going.

Though not in April.....................

(In reference to shrapnel and company's hunt.)

It sure grates some folks when non-res hunters hunt like some of the residents, eh?
Posted By: ribka Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/29/11
KC seems like a nice enough fellow to me.

One of the problems with the hunt is that advice was sought after the hunt was locked in. Plenty of advice was given, but it may have been more useful if it had been sought prior to making plans that could not be altered.
Here is the original thread:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...959196/Black_Bears_near_Kake#Post4959196
Much very good advice was offered, but could not be used at that point.

Very few (any) hunters enter the field seeking a dink. That generally is the result of "settling" for "something" or the inherent difficulty of judging an animal that has neither antler nor horn. Bears only have outward trophy signs that take experience to ascertain.

It's a case of: Good judgment comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgment.

However, as famous philosopher 2legit says; you only have to make yourself happy. It seems like those fellers are happy with their hunt.

Well stated

Bears can be hard to judge unless you spend time in the field in an area where you can see a lot of bears. I am fortunate that I live near areas now where I can see bears and observe them. I look at a bear's head/ears to judge it size. When I first started observing bears I would think now there's a nice one. After a few minutes in the spotting scope/binos I realized was a small bear. Now I can much quicker size up a bear when I see one.

In NJ when the opened bear season a few years ago, almost 80% of bears registered were well under 100 lbs. Many were 50-70 lbs
Posted By: battue Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/29/11
Black Bears can be deceiving when it comes to sizing them up. I've probably seen 30 something of them here in Pa. and two in Ak. Shot one in Pa. that went 235lbs dressed. Seen a few small ones here in Pa. and one huge one up close that had an ear tag. When tagged he went almost 600lbs the previous year. Guessing he was the same Bear, in that he stayed in the same area for around three years. He had a rear end that seemed as big as an F250.

The little ones look like bowling balls, the big ones immediately grab your eye with their bulk and the in between ones usually look bigger than they are.

One of the ones I saw in Ak, according to the guide I had on a Goat hunt was more than representative. He didn't impress me all that much, other than being a PIIA. He certainly was not as big as the ones Stick posted pics of.

As another poster mentioned we have much the same issue in Pa. when someone brings in a Bear of the year. The problem in Pa. is the pressure during the two week season can be heavy in an area where they currently have been spotted. Myself I wouldn't shoot the mother if the young ones were with her, but the pressure and Bear drives often get them separated. Then the mother gets killed and the GC says you might as well take the young because they probably will not survive anyway. Then again those who have never seen one, and have no experience in judging, shoot the first Bear they see. They take some static, but nothing illegal has occurred.

I understand the criticism from some of the Ak crew. I also give KC credit in that he posted the pics. If I had that much ground shrinkage they wouldn't have made it to the fire.

Addition: Group of guys I know had one of them shoot a small one. He was found of his specialty beers. He became known as the guy who got a micro-bruin. grin
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/30/11
Bears may be hard to judge at some point, but really, not at that point. Calling that a small bear is an insult to small bears everywhere.
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/30/11
Originally Posted by battue
Addition: Group of guys I know had one of them shoot a small one. He was found of his specialty beers. He became known as the guy who got a micro-bruin. grin

haha!

Posted By: Steelhead Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/30/11
5' is a small bear, those are cubs.
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/30/11
Exactly. Was I being too obtuse again? cool
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/31/11
Originally Posted by Steelhead

And a game violation? They have to be at least one year of age, right?
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/31/11
Originally Posted by Barkoff

Neither of the smaller ones is any less than the second year of life. I don't know what the regs say for blackies, but brown/griz regs require an animal that has gotten beyond the second year of life. I suspect both the smaller bears are in their second year. However, in KC's defense, he did nothing at all to bolster the size of his bear in the photo. And that's something that is frequently done, even with the big bears - in case anyone doesn't know that. The blocky head of the bigger bear makes it clear that that bear is a nice bear. If they were sealed by F&G and F&G didn't seize either animal, it seems obvious that there were no issues with legality. They aren't generally slow to do what they think they should if they believe a law has been violated. Lots of black bears have made these pages that weren't much to brag about, not just Alaskan bears. These guys look like they had a good time in their hunting. Good for them. I appreciate good hunts and hard-won trophies. But I'd much rather hear about good times and companionship than smarmy "mine was bigger than your's" stories.
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/31/11
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by Barkoff

Neither of the smaller ones is any less than the second year of life. I don't know what the regs say for blackies, but brown/griz regs require an animal that has gotten beyond the second year of life. I suspect both the smaller bears are in their second year. However, in KC's defense, he did nothing at all to bolster the size of his bear in the photo. And that's something that is frequently done, even with the big bears - in case anyone doesn't know that. The blocky head of the bigger bear makes it clear that that bear is a nice bear. If they were sealed by F&G and F&G didn't seize either animal, it seems obvious that there were no issues with legality. They aren't generally slow to do what they think they should if they believe a law has been violated. Lots of black bears have made these pages that weren't much to brag about, not just Alaskan bears. These guys look like they had a good time in their hunting. Good for them. I appreciate good hunts and hard-won trophies. But I'd much rather hear about good times and companionship than smarmy "mine was bigger than your's" stories.

Thanks for the clarification. Not ripping on KC, I just would have no interest in taking a bear of that small a size. Now a little pig I would not hesitate.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/31/11
Again, NR having good times and shooting dinks will ensure that NR can't go to Alaska again without a guide and have a good time.

Not a difficult concept to follow.
Posted By: ropes Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/31/11

Actually there is no move to require Guides for Black Bear and I doubt there ever will be .... the upcoming Draw for SE Black Bear for the non-resident (unguided) is the plan.

I don't see that changing any time soon.
Posted By: dogcatcher223 Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/31/11
Those are cubs, and there really is no excuse since they are from CO, and we have plenty of bears here...
Posted By: ropes Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/31/11

They are not 'officially' Cubs ... by AK law definition.

By law a Cub is a Black Bear in it's first year ... so as it stands up after it's first denning (the wither after being born) it is a legal Bear @ 1 1/2.
Posted By: HuntKY Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/31/11
wow....seeing this for the first time. Nice wolf.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 05/31/11
I understand that reasoning and don't know Southeast at all, but also realize that F&G might look at those small bears as NR income ($85 license +$225 tag) vs. big bear snacks, which I'm sure those little ones frequently become.
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 06/01/11
Originally Posted by ropes

They are not 'officially' Cubs ... by AK law definition.

By law a Cub is a Black Bear in it's first year ... so as it stands up after it's first denning (the wither after being born) it is a legal Bear @ 1 1/2.

So I take it you would be satisfied if a client of yours took one of these "non-cub" cubs.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 06/01/11
Information that is correct doesn't condone the action.ymmv
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 06/01/11
This thread is akin to somebody being invited to a Hollywood party, and bragging about they slept with Rosie O'Donnel. They may have had one heck of a good time, but they did what they did, and not much to be bragging about.
Posted By: ropes Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 06/01/11
toltecgriz .... why even say that to me ... WTF ... I mearly pointed out that these are not Ileagle Bears as some have said.

On the other hand if somebody wants to shoot a small Bear or a spike Buck who cares ... as Klikitarik pointed out only about 25% of those cubs survive Boar killing any way.

A bunch of Slopers can come to POW and kill a bunch spike and fork bucks and name it "the November to Remember" and everyone around here remarks on how cool that is ... but someone kills a small Bear and the next thing you know there is going to be 'a Guide only' requirement because of it ..... go figure !!!!
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 06/01/11
Come on now... I said there would be "Calls for guides..." not that there would be an actual new law. The point was the bears have value as trophies when they mature... But as dinks they have little value.

Your point about the survival rates of cubs applies to cubs, not yearlings (or do you really think these are cubs? wink ) but your point is still valid, the population has little vested in the bears at that age.

But the point is absolutely about perception... "trophy hunters" whacking dinks while the State is looking at limiting access to an over-utilized resource. Perception from virtually all angles is not good...
Posted By: ropes Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 06/01/11

Actually ... I am in Black Bear regulation central (being a POW Hunter) and have seen and been very active in the current situation.

The State only recently took on the Black Bear as a 'Trophy' animal and that is only in unit #1,2 & 3 ... Unit 5 exempted themselves via ADF&G advisory comm from the Black Bear 'crackdown' and in the northern region they have made 3 Bear bag limits and open season all year.

But that discussion is all for another thread.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 06/02/11
Ropes will cash a check for forked-horns and one-horned Nannies,as well as Rubbed Rats...all under the guise of having a "clue".

[bleep] hilarious,start to finish and I'll feign my suprise that he'd endorse Ratitude with open arms,mainly because few "Guides" know more in how to reliably connect upon same,than he. Fact is,I can't think of another,that scrapes bottoms of bowls so hard.

Ropes is also the only Guide I know who's chickenschit enough,to break into parked cars and rifle through it's contents.

KC should be punched in the face,as should any "Guide" who'd endorse same..................
Posted By: ropes Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 06/02/11

You go girl !!!!
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 06/04/11
I reckon it fair summation,that a 13yr old girl easily trumped your client's "results". No need to cheer her on,exceptional results is innate to her.

[Linked Image]

As an aside...she don't break into cars................
Posted By: frogman43 Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 06/04/11
Little sister did well! My congrats to her. Nice picture Stick......
Posted By: KenaiSlayer1 Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 06/04/11
Originally Posted by ropes
toltecgriz .... why even say that to me ... WTF ... I mearly pointed out that these are not Ileagle Bears as some have said.

On the other hand if somebody wants to shoot a small Bear or a spike Buck who cares ... as Klikitarik pointed out only about 25% of those cubs survive Boar killing any way.

A bunch of Slopers can come to POW and kill a bunch spike and fork bucks and name it "the November to Remember" and everyone around here remarks on how cool that is ... but someone kills a small Bear and the next thing you know there is going to be 'a Guide only' requirement because of it ..... go figure !!!!

Ropes... You Lie and twist the truth. Any thoughts about running for government? Several years of Hog Bucks and bears have been posted on this forum from your so-called Slopers. Forks and Spikes have been posted as well but there is a major difference concerning the the OP. When a "Sloper" posts a fork he doesn't get on here and tell everyone he can provide all the great info to others to come up and shoot a dink! Here is one of my dinks that has been posted before.

You should look in the mirror before you type:

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]
Posted By: Calvin Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 06/04/11
Hey! What's wrong with fork horns? haha
Posted By: ropes Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 06/04/11

I knew my posts would get a bunch of panties in a wad ....

And Calvin ... nothing wrong with a fork .. I've killed plenty of em ... in fact one year we raised big white Turkeys and my wife told me one day "we get more meat from one of these than those Spikes you kill" !!!!!
Posted By: KenaiSlayer1 Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 06/04/11
A Spade is a Spade
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 06/05/11
Sloper?
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 06/05/11
I could be wrong but it seemed a tacit approval. I could expand but I'm on a cell phone and can barely make the dang thing work.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 06/05/11
Oilfield trash in Prudhoe Bay (or other "North Slope" oilfield) typically working 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off. Schedules can vary tremendously, but the time and money are usually good.

The reference is to the north slope of the Brooks Range and everything from there draining north to the Beaufort Sea.

It is not a racist epithet...
Posted By: ropes Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 06/05/11

And I always thought that Sloper was a race of people ... you know like Cajun, Coonass, Okie or Texan !!!!
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 06/05/11
People hunt for many reasons. In March a buddy and I got a few caribou, ten to be exact. He was a bit embarrassed because he only shot one cow while I got three or four. But that's meat hunting; people hunt for many reasons. We had a good time, and we could have killed a few more since the butchering process took us into the wee hours of the next morning when our five-per day limit started over, and we could see to shoot well enough in the dark. We didn't however, and ended up soaking our joints on a natural warm spring at 4 am instead. Is that hunting I would recommend to others? Probably not, but we had a good time and felt rewarded. It seems KC can be judged by those whom he advises. They killed a couple of barbeque bears. F&G are usually not slackers when they smell "too small/too young". Apparently they didn't. So big deal on the size of the bears. It's KC whose reputation is at stake here. Lots of guys wouldn't have chosen to post those pics, especially if they were in the position he has appointed himself to. He did, but it's his problem, not ours. I think the people who might seek his advice can figure out if this is something they'd like to be a part of. And I seriously doubt that they will assume that they can't improve on these results. In fact, a few do-it-yourselfers may just learn something from seeing the small results. (And I don't mean better poses for picture taking, although that might help also; at least it seems to work for others.)
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 06/05/11
Oilfield trash in Prudhoe Bay (or other "North Slope" oilfield) typically working 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off. Schedules can vary tremendously, but the time and money are usually good.

The reference is to the north slope of the Brooks Range and everything from there draining north to the Beaufort Sea.

It is not a racist epithet...

I figured it had to do with those who work the slope, but not getting why they are looked down upon. Are they considered non-Alaskans, outsiders who just show for short-time work?
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 06/05/11
No, I believe it is purely paycheck envy coupled with the proven fact all slopers are hung like ponies...
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 06/05/11
...... all slopers are hung like ponies...

Finally, logic and reason assails this thread. grin (And here I was always given the impression I was "improperly skilled". frown )
Posted By: ironbender Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 06/05/11
They're smart as a horse and hung like Einstein.
Posted By: KenaiSlayer1 Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 06/06/11
It may not be fat but it sure is short! Grin
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 06/06/11
No, I believe it is purely paycheck envy coupled with the proven fact all slopers are hung like ponies...

SO, how many years you do on the slope?
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 06/06/11
Ropes is always the first to whine and always the last to shine. Typical Kalifornian dope smokin' transplant,always eager to happily trade some unknowing newb's dollars,for his lackluster "results". In fairness though...he's adept at breaking into vehicles and rummaging through someone else's goods and it's par for his pathetic course.

Look at his Bear Hunt and Deer Hunt "results"...[bleep] hilarious schit,from start to finish!

Not much else he can do,than to laude 4' rugs.

Laffin'.........................

Posted By: ironbender Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 06/06/11
In fairness though...he's adept at breaking into vehicles and rummaging through someone else's goods and it's par for his pathetic course.

Link?

Second time I've seen a hint at that.
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 06/07/11
Been mentioned often,mainly because it is a fact.

Pard was headed off a mountain after a Deer Hunt and just so happened to have a peek at his pickup that was parked below...and there's the notorious piece of schit Ropes,going through his truck,to the tune of rummaging through the glove box and what not,like he was CSI. Not certain in which States it is "fashionable" for a snake of a Guide to be turning another man's vehicle inside out and sniffing his shorts,but it ain't held in the highest esteem in these parts. Though in fairnes,noone was surprised.

He's a real piece of [bleep] work..................

Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 06/07/11
That's a pretty serious charge...

Maybe he heard there was a dope sting going down and was afraid your pard left some seeds and he was going to clean them up before the narcs found 'em...

Yeah, that's it...
Posted By: ironbender Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 06/07/11
Wow. Ballsy move.
Posted By: bearstalker Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 06/07/11
Dang, this thread keeps getting better and better. grin
Posted By: dennisinaz Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 06/07/11
An article? How to shot dinks on the road?

TFF - that was my first thought too!
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 06/09/11
Wow. Ballsy move.

Were it my truck...bet your ass I'd of had a scalp,as a minimum.

Ask for something and I'm apt to hand over the shirt from offa my back,TRY to take and you'll assuredly have a [bleep] lung kicked outta you,as a bare minimum.

I've seen me do it.................(grin)

Posted By: DayPacker Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 06/09/11
KC,
Put your bear under the pool table and enjoy.
Posted By: MikeNZ Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 06/09/11
Originally Posted by DayPacker
KC,
Put your bear under the pool table and enjoy.

I think that bear would probably fit in one of the pockets of the pool table
You could use the skull for the white ball.
Posted By: oldman1942 Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 06/09/11
World record Black Bear taken in PA......guy didn't even use a firearm.....just sayin.....
Posted By: dubePA Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 06/09/11
The big PA bear taken last fall, primarily with a crossbow, will not be counted as any sort of record, if you're talking about the "tame" one, "Bozo"? IIRC, it weighed close to 800lbs?

No charges were ever filed against those that killed the bear, but there were some collateral damages stemming from that embarrasing incident.
Well Stick pretty much summed this whole sad story up already. At my bear camp we have a $500 fine for any bear killed under 200lbs. Bears can be tough to judge but come on man. If you killed that at my camp you would never be allowed back. It is shiiitheads like you that give hunters bad names. Legal or not it is WRONG PERIOD. But I will give you the fact that you had the ballz to post those pictures. I just don't know how you can sleep at night.
Posted By: akgirl Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 06/10/11
haven't posted on here in a while, but since the boys were talking about it I thought I'd take a look, and I have to say that I'm sickened by the pictures of the baby bears. I can't believe that they were legal! Absolutely ridiculous that they were killed, there are plenty bigger bears around! If you are going to hunt, you need to learn patience! My dog is bigger than those. I'm sure Stick said it better, but I had to put in my two cents. GO HOME and don't come back!
Posted By: SU35 Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 06/10/11
I have to say that I'm sickened by the pictures of the baby bears

Yea, I feel the same way.
Posted By: M7300SAUM Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 06/14/11
Wow. Ballsy move.

Were it my truck...bet your ass I'd of had a scalp,as a minimum.

Ask for something and I'm apt to hand over the shirt from offa my back,TRY to take and you'll assuredly have a [bleep] lung kicked outta you,as a bare minimum.

I've seen me do it.................(grin)

I'll bet you did......in your dreams. The truth is you would post stupid lingo on the internet with lots of tough talk and staged photographs. How much time did you serve for "kicking someone's lung out"? What jurisdiction was it in and when did it occur? We are all just waiting to hear the details of this feat and you supply the facts of the case, complete with newspaper coverage of your sentencing.
Posted By: M7300SAUM Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 06/14/11
Originally Posted by SU35
I have to say that I'm sickened by the pictures of the baby bears

Yea, I feel the same way.
I agree with you. Pretty pathetic.
Posted By: varmintsinc Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 06/21/11
Just found this but damn...remind me to keep my black lab on a leash, I think he would stretch out bigger than those two bears. Any comments on the bigger bear? I dont know the area but he looks to be a mature bear.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 03/26/13
WOW

he shot boo-boo

the guy with the conan avatar

wtf.......................................................
Posted By: colorado Re: Kupreanof Bear Hunt - 03/27/13
Decent black bear in my neighbors yard getting away from the Waldo Canyon fire in Colorado Springs last summer ... Note the small ears and wide hips, not so hard to judge. No we didn't shoot him, but if my sons had seen him up in the hills during bear season he would've been in trouble smile

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire