TFF

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
KC thanks for sharing your trip

(BTW this thread took a bizarre turn lol)
looks like a lot of fun.
How did the bear eat?

Get any fishing in while in Alaska?

I am planning next year. ANy tips advice?

T

KC Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Tom:

We BBQ'd some meat while we were there and it tasted OK. Not too greasy. The rest will be made into sausage and it's not back yet.

We did get in some fishing. Josh and I spent a day playing around after we got our bears. First we collected some clams

[Linked Image]

then we borrowed our hosts boat. We caught some ruffies and some black bass. Tasted great when saut�d in a sauce of butter and garlic. I don't know what kind of fish this guy was. He was all head/mouth/fins and we let him go.

[Linked Image]

I've been to Alaska several times and have written an article containing tips for the nonresident hunter. I'll forward it to you in a PM.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thanks jds44. That clears up the mystery.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by ingwe
Geez these guys are catchin' schitt for shooting what was obviously the bear of their choice...

How come I don't catch this much Krapp when I shoot a dink deer????

Oh, wait a minute.....I catch more krapp than this...

That's how come...... grin
i don't remember them saying they got the bear of their CHOICE. (grin)

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
thanks kc for the pm'd info

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
An article? How to shot dinks on the road?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by eyeball
Originally Posted by ingwe
Geez these guys are catchin' schitt for shooting what was obviously the bear of their choice...

How come I don't catch this much Krapp when I shoot a dink deer????

Oh, wait a minute.....I catch more krapp than this...

That's how come...... grin
i don't remember them saying they got the bear of their CHOICE. (grin)

Au contraire.

There is ALWAYS a choice.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by KC
I don't know what kind of fish this guy was. He was all head/mouth/fins and we let him go.

[Linked Image]

That's a quillback rockfish.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
KC Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Dan:

Thanks for the info.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by DanInAlaska
Originally Posted by KC
I don't know what kind of fish this guy was. He was all head/mouth/fins and we let him go.

[Linked Image]

That's a quillback rockfish.

Okay, flame suit on, however...

5 AAC 47.020: General provisions for seasons and bag, possession, annual, and size limits for the salt waters of the Southeast Alaska Area... Section (19)(A)(i) reads, "All non-pelagic rockfish caught must be retained until the bag limit is reached."

KC, with all due respect, as a non-resident you should become familiar with the hunting/fishing regulations before you go out fishing/hunting. It seems to me an ethical transporter/outfitter would have provided you with copies of the Alaska fishing & hunting regulations. In the fishing regs for Southeast Alaska the above regulation is clearly stated, and in the back of the booklet are pictures of the non-pelagic rockfish you might catch, including the Quillback rockfish.

Maybe you already had your limit, in which case I apologize, but your post makes it sound like you released it because it was ugly and you did not know what it was instead of because you already had your limit on non-pelagic rockfish. Black, Yellowtail, and Dusky rockfish are pelagic species and are addressed under separate regulations. Is it the violation of the century, of course not, but you say you write articles about hunting/fishing in Alaska geared towards non-residents and I would hope some of your advice includes being familiar with the fish & game laws before you go into the field.

With that said, I'm glad you and your friends enjoyed your trip to our great state!

Chris

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Would it be better to kill that fish and bury it in the garden or let it go, the law not withstanding?....'specially since there are no obvious decompression sickness signs.

...but you are correct...as far as the law goes. He should'a put the wood shampoo to that shallow water Sebastes and fed it to his cat....although it's likely that fish is far older than any cat owned by a campfire member. wink

I HATE the stupidity, reckless disregard and bycatch historically demonstrated by the commies that necessitates such ridiculous and arbitray laws enacted against recreational fishermen.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Can't say I disagree with any of your comments...

Had the OP not mentioned he's an outdoor writer who has written articles on hunting in Alaska for non-residents I'd have likely not even commented on the photo. However, if folks are reading this thread with an eye to doing their own "self-guided" (I hate that term) Alaskan black bear hunt/fishing trip they should maybe familiarize themselves with the hunting/fishing regulations before venturing out with rifle and fishing rod in hand!

Chris

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I could care less if someone shoots a dink as long as that person is happy with it.But these dinks seem to be borderline illegal.

Personaly I'd be cautious of posting these pics on the web for fear of the AST looking into it.

Glad you had a good time in AK.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by double tap
Can't say I disagree with any of your comments...

Had the OP not mentioned he's an outdoor writer who has written articles on hunting in Alaska for non-residents I'd have likely not even commented on the photo. However, if folks are reading this thread with an eye to doing their own "self-guided" (I hate that term) Alaskan black bear hunt/fishing trip they should maybe familiarize themselves with the hunting/fishing regulations before venturing out with rifle and fishing rod in hand!

Chris

I hear ya'....and that's pretty much where I figured you were coming from.....and with dam good reason! EVERYONE...resident or non-resident needs to know the regs.

It's not like you need an attorney to figger' it out. wink

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Might could be the phunniest [bleep] Thread of All Time. KC's rampant stupidity is without bounds and she fancies herself as a source of "advice" for others,upon the very subject matter in which she's well beyond clueless about.

Sooooooo poignant and upon soooooo many levels and the real beauty is,none of it is on purpose! I hope she can keep the ball rolling.

I'm waiting for the kids to get home,but enjoy Sneak & Peeks and keeping tabs on a few HOGs until that time.

RAT. 6'8" square and he'd dry 20.25" B&C.

[Linked Image]

HOG. 7'6" square and he'd dry 21.5" B&C.

[Linked Image]

Nothin' is funnier than Bear Season...nothin'!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Four years ago I stayed at one of the campgrounds on POW- Lots of groups of non residents would show up with their ultra mags to shoot bears. One particular group would gang shoot the bears, the leader proclaiming that "These big bears are almost always a group effort". The biggest of these "big bears" was not as long as my 52 inch canoe paddle. Wonder what they would have thought about the Alaska boys taking bears three times the size of their biggest bear with one shot from a 223...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wonder what they would have thought about the Alaska boys taking bears three times the size of their biggest bear with one shot from a 223...

Stoopaficated??

Don't hunt black bears here in PA, but we have lots of 'em and some are pretty big ones. Several killed last year above 600lbs, one even bigger (close to 800lbs), but that one didn't count, as it turned out? IIRC, last fall's bear kill was over 3000, again?

I see black bears almost every year where I hunt deer, including a few that were close to 600lbs. A farmer neighbor killed one of 'em in bear season three years ago, within a stone's throw of my camp.

It was once illegal to kill cubs here in PA, then many years ago that "legality" was dropped. Any bear is now a legal bear, be it a 40lb cub, or an 80lb adult.

Peer pressure at bear check stations can be fearsome, often resulting in onlookers being chased away if they can't behave themselves, when a small bear is brought it.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It is always interesting to see what folks do not know... but insist on spreading as gospel.

Some even do it when presented with more than enough facts to get them over the idiot hurdles...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Royce
Wonder what they would have thought about the Alaska boys taking bears three times the size of their biggest bear with one shot from a 223...

It would snap 'em.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 16gage, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 3,141 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,964
Posts18,519,505
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.