Home
Posted By: Dogger Broke a Weatherby today - 12/04/22
New production Weatherby Mark V Bronze in 6.5 RPM. Weatherby Select 140 Interlock grain factory load. This rifle has a total of six rounds thru it... First round today on a nice 8 pointer at 60 yards - devastating bullet performance. Ejected the brass without incident and attempted to slam the second cartridge home. Bolt did not want to close. Had to really slam it into battery. Deer was down for the count so no need for a follow-up shot. Attempted to eject the cartridge and bolt did not want to open. dumped the rounds from the bottom plate then had to really manhandle the bolt open. The ejector pulled the brass out dumping powder into the breech and leaving the bullet. Oh boy. Took a cleaning rod and ran it down the muzzle and a gentle tap dropped the bullet. Removed the bolt and reinserted it into the rifle and closed it to do a function check... trigger will not fire... bolt safety is in the hot position and will not toggle to safe. Dang. I am clueless on Weatherby bolts so I have an email in to customer service. I was planning on taking this rifle on a 2023 elk hunt... now i am not so sure... M700 in 280 Remington and M77 in 300 RSAUM are moving up in the batting order.
Posted By: 338reddog Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/04/22
Call Weatherby Monday, Im sure they will do right by you.
Maybe blow out trigger with compressed air to see if you have powder causing some issues. It sounds like that maybe the reason your safety wont toggle.
I had a Browning Abolt that had the bolt shroud rotate after I shot a deer. No need for a follow up. Some one suggested I may have rotated it in the excitement. Did make me question its future function.
Posted By: Region6 Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/04/22
This rifle has a total of six rounds thru it...

Problem falls on you. You and the unprepared reap what they sow.
Originally Posted by Dogger
New production Weatherby Mark V Bronze in 6.5 RPM. Weatherby Select 140 Interlock grain factory load. This rifle has a total of six rounds thru it... First round today on a nice 8 pointer at 60 yards - devastating bullet performance. Ejected the brass without incident and attempted to slam the second cartridge home. Bolt did not want to close. Had to really slam it into battery. Deer was down for the count so no need for a follow-up shot. Attempted to eject the cartridge and bolt did not want to open. dumped the rounds from the bottom plate then had to really manhandle the bolt open. The ejector pulled the brass out dumping powder into the breech and leaving the bullet. Oh boy. Took a cleaning rod and ran it down the muzzle and a gentle tap dropped the bullet. Removed the bolt and reinserted it into the rifle and closed it to do a function check... trigger will not fire... bolt safety is in the hot position and will not toggle to safe. Dang. I am clueless on Weatherby bolts so I have an email in to customer service. I was planning on taking this rifle on a 2023 elk hunt... now i am not so sure... M700 in 280 Remington and M77 in 300 RSAUM are moving up in the batting order.

I'm sure that Ruger 77 300RSAUM is bullet proof. I'd hunt that one. Hard to f that one up. I have one just like it and would hunt the world over with it. A Weatherby made rifle, not so much...
Originally Posted by Region6

Sounds like the guys here that have 100 rifles with Leupold scopes on top, that never get shot. What doesn't get used, never fails..
Posted By: Region6 Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/04/22
[bleep] even a Leupold would zero at 100, twist to 1000 and back again for 12 rounds šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚
Posted By: Judman Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/04/22
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Sounds like the guys here that have 100 rifles with Leupold scopes on top, that never get shot. What doesn't get used, never fails..

Naw, I can guarantee thatā€™s not Tom, unlike you heā€™s a killin sumbitch, just doesnā€™t post pics, but will text em. Get back on your bench and shoot some groups, us killers donā€™t arenā€™t impressed dummy.šŸ‘ŠšŸ»
Posted By: ldholton Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/04/22
sounds like if I read correctly the ammo or the chamber is not quite in spec. sounds like the bullet stuck in the lands if you had a hard time ejecting the brass and it pulled the bullet out of the brass and poured powder out the bullet is definitely stuck in the lands .. or possibly the wrong ammo.. but it would seem to be an isolated piece rather than a whole box..
Posted By: Elvis Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/04/22

I'm not sure I understand this post??

Are you saying it's Dogger's responsibility to fix a new rifle that has buggered up with only six factory rounds?
6 rounds from sight in to hunting????
Posted By: WMR Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/04/22
Sounds like little bits of styrofoam from the box floating around in the action.
Posted By: WAM Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/04/22
I would pull the bolt and shake out any loose powder and particles, remove the barreled action from the stock and blow out any powder and debris with air. I might also consider soaking the bolt in Coleman fuel to dissolve any old factory grease internally. The next thing I would do is check overall length of the remaining cartridges to SAAMI specs and look for bullet slippage. After cleaning the rifle and reassembling it, I would chamber a spent cartridge and check function. If everything checks out, i would try chambering a few cartridges in a safe place. Good luck!

PS: I would check the diameter of the removed stuck bullet and also check the diameter of remaining loaded bullets with a dial caliper. Anything is possible with cheap Hornady Interlocks no matter who loads them.
sounds to me like defective ammo or reloads.........not a broke rifle
Posted By: WMR Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/04/22
Originally Posted by WAM
I would pull the bolt and shake out any loose powder and particles, remove the barreled action from the stock and blow out any powder and debris with air. I might also consider soaking the bolt in Coleman fuel to dissolve any old factory grease internally. The next thing I would do is check overall length of the remaining cartridges to SAAMI specs and look for bullet slippage. After cleaning the rifle and reassembling it, I would chamber a spent cartridge and check function. If everything checks out, i would try chambering a few cartridges in a safe place. Good luck!

PS: I would check the diameter of the removed stuck bullet and also check the diameter of remaining loaded bullets with a dial caliper. Anything is possible with cheap Hornady Interlocks no matter who loads them.

Hornady Interlocks are not good bullets? First Iā€™ve ever heard of that. I think you may be full of baloney.
Posted By: Dogger Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/04/22
Ammo mics at about 3.265 which is in SAAMI spec
First two rounds to zero...
Next three rounds fun shots, one each by my buddies...
Round six on the deer...
Weatherby Select factory loads... uber accurate btw
Posted By: Al_Nyhus Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/04/22
For your description, it sounds like a simple case of the bullet getting jammed into the rifling. With a factory rifle shooting the rifle mfgs. factory ammo, that's a pretty rare situation. But not impossible.

If you're not a gun tinkerer, you may want to talk with where you purchased it and let them take it from there.

Good shootin' -Al
Lol... Weatherby provides a plastic cartridge holder in factory box... not styrofoam
Posted By: ingwe Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/04/22
I used to work in a gunshop that was also a Weatherby authorized service center. We had to drop that part of the business because the gunsmiths literally had time for nothing else but fixing Weatherbys...and yeah, most of them were Mark Vs. Left a bad taste in my mouth, though I think Highly of the Vanguards.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/04/22
Sounds like a very short chamber throat
Posted By: HadsDad Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/04/22
Originally Posted by jwp475

Which is unusual because Weatherby rifles have long throats.
Originally Posted by ingwe
I used to work in a gunshot that was also a Weatherby authorized service center. We had to drop that part of the business because the gunsmiths literally had time for nothing else but fixing Weatherbys...and yeah, most of them were Mark Vs. Left a bad taste in my mouth, though I think Highly of the Vanguards.

Iā€™ve read on the innanets that folks have had issues with Weatherby Mark Vā€™s. Vanguards and Howas had a recall some years ago I think.

However, I own one 6-lug Mark V, three 9-lug Mark V magnums, and one Vanguard magnum and have had zero issues with any of them and all 5 are very accurate. Iā€™m not disputing your experiences, just sharing mine. And yes, they all have been fired quite a lot, no safe queens. Happy Trails
Never claimed to be baloney-free!

Cheers
Posted By: pete53 Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/04/22
just send the rifle back for warranty , chit happens sometimes . good luck ,Pete53
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/04/22
pete53 for the win...
Posted By: Starbuck Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/04/22
About 10 years back I was driving out of the woods and was flagged down on a logging road by an acquaintance. He was looking for a rod to push a bullet out of his barrel. His story was very similar to yours. It was a well used Savage 110. He was using factory ammo. He shot a buck, jacked another live round in the chamber, which he said was hard to close the bolt down on, and then, with a ton of effort, pulled the round apart trying to get it out.

After pushing the bullet out, we cycled a bunch of full mags through and everything worked fine. Best we could figure was that somehow a factory round ended up with the bullet seated out too far. Guy wasn't a hand loader and never had anyone load for him, so there wasn't much possibility that he ended up with a non factory round.

Can't really comment much on the adversely affected safety, other than that perhaps it slipped partially to the on position and you bent something while pulling hard to extract the stuck round?

I've owned a number of Mk-V through the years. None gave me any trouble mechanically, but most seemed finicky. Had to usually mess around with loads and free floating barrels. I always felt like for the money they could do a little better. Wouldn't say no to another if they offer something that catches my fancy, but haven't brought one home in awhile.
Posted By: las Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/04/22
Never liked Weatherbys. Over-hyped and over priced IMO. Any thing that requires a torque wrench isn't in my lot. My opinion is free of course.... smile
Posted By: Rossimp Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/04/22
One thing for sure is the 6.5 RPM does not utilize Wby style freebore, so typically MKV operation is usually under no over pressure stress with most Wby cartridges because of generous freebore distances from the lands.

Pressure on the 6.5 RPM is 65K psi, could be a tight chamber. Did you measure the max COAL to lands of your chamber? If so compare Wby ammo length cartridges to the found COAL to lands. Youā€™ll need one of the 140 Interlock bullets for analyzing COAL to lands to make a comparison. Once found, the allowable should be found by backing off the lands by about 0.020ā€-0.080ā€ (could have greater freebore) from the COAL to lands for a typical factory chamber or for most handloaders. Wby ammo should fall well short of the COAL to lands measurement. Just a place to start for some specifics and maybe a better understanding.
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555

I was scratching my head on that too.
Posted By: Ngrumba Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/04/22
You didnā€™t test fire your rifle before hunting with it?
Posted By: ingwe Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/04/22
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

Yeah...that alone tells you everything you need to know.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/04/22
Interesting. Please let us know what the final findings are.
Posted By: HuntnShoot Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/04/22
Ammo mics at about 3.265 which is in SAAMI spec
First two rounds to zero...
Next three rounds fun shots, one each by my buddies...
Round six on the deer...
That's impressive in terms of economy of ammo. I don't think it's enough shots to figure out the peculiarities of your rifle, though. In my mind, like driving a new vehicle off the lot straight home to load up your stuff and then leave on a 5k mile road trip.

Not sure what went wrong with the gun, but Weatherby's service department should be able to straighten it out.
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/04/22

I would remove the action from the stock and clean all the spilt powder out of the trigger/action/bolt.
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

I would remove the action from the stock and clean all the spilt powder out of the trigger/action/bolt.
^^^^This and check the ammo , sounds like a bad batch . These threads never fail to attract Weatherby haters.
Posted By: Earlyagain Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/04/22
I bought a rifle once. Zeroed it for one box of factory loads with a few shots and went hunting. Put elk in the freezer. Worked great. Still have it, still zeroed for the same ammo. And I hand load, and have a firearms collection.

People are busy sometimes.
Not like the deer are going to shoot back.
Just sayin'.

I doubt anyone posting on a gun board goes hunting without a backup gun. I don't.

Fix and forget.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/04/22
Originally Posted by Earlyagain
I bought a rifle once. Zeroed it for one box of factory loads with a few shots and went hunting. Put elk in the freezer. Worked great. Still have it, still zeroed for the same ammo. And I hand load, and have a firearms collection.

People are busy sometimes.
Not like the deer are going to shoot back.
Just sayin'.

I doubt anyone posting on a gun board goes hunting without a backup gun. I don't.

Fix and forget.
I go on plenty of hunts with no backup rifle. I can drive the 20 minutes back home if something happens
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/04/22
Ain't like most hunts are high-dollar, far from home deals.

No one's life is in danger if my new gun fails 30 minutes from home. No reason to shoot it 200 times to make sure.

And for that matter, how many rounds DOES it take to make sure it's gonna work?

Better not overdo the testing or you'll wear it out and cause a failure lol
Posted By: JimH Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/04/22
Weatherby Select factory loads... uber accurate btw
Six total rounds by 4 different people and you know its uber accurate ????? I think someone is trolling......
Yep, the Weatherby Haters and Leupold Haters are cut from the same cloth.

There are two kinds of them: Those who have Weatherby rifles and those who wish they didā€¦.

In todayā€™s manufacturing and quality control environment, anything can be out of specs or faulty.

My 6.5-300 Wby has less than two full boxes of ammo through it, yet I have 100% confidence that it will go bang and the bullet will go where aimed. I always take a backup rifle on out of state elk hunts where I have a place to store my spare. I never leave a firearm in a vehicle for the thieves to pluck.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/05/22
Originally Posted by WAM

There are two kinds of them: Those who have Weatherby rifles and those who wish they didā€¦.

In todayā€™s manufacturing and quality control environment, anything can be out of specs or faulty.

My 6.5-300 Wby has less than two full boxes of ammo through it, yet I have 100% confidence that it will go bang and the bullet will go where aimed. I always take a backup rifle on out of state elk hunts where I have a place to store my spare. I never leave a firearm in a vehicle for the thieves to pluck.

No, no. You must have 37 rounds of testing. Any more and then you're just wasting money and any less you're just a fool lol
Posted By: mathman Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/05/22
Originally Posted by WAM

BS generalization.
Posted By: Dave_Spn Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/05/22

I don't see a problem with it. Hell, just 2 weeks ago my wife drove to work in a car with 5 miles on it.
Posted By: WAM Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/05/22
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by WAM

BS generalization.

Yes, indeed! I agree wholeheartedly. Just like most of the Weatherby hatersā€™ BS statements! LOL! šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
Posted By: WAM Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/05/22
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Originally Posted by WAM

No, no. You must have 37 rounds of testing. Any more and then you're just wasting money and any less you're just a fool lol

I think thatā€™s precisely the number I fired so far. You must be clairvoyant! šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
I have 4 rounds thru my Mark V and I am taking it hunting in a little over a month. Should I be worried?
Well yeah. Because if it doesn't work right you'll get bitched at by guys on here. Lol
Well yeah. Because if it doesn't work right you'll get bitched at by guys on here. Lol
I forgot I have to take it to the range and fire the obligatory fouling shot so that will make it 5 possibly 6. Hope nothing breaks on it. Its a 257 bee and you know how they burn barrels and are inaccurate as hell>
Lol mine has not been fired at all yet. Not even allowed to pick it up yet
Lol mine has not been fired at all yet. Not even allowed to pick it up yet

Let us know how it goes, prayers sent.
Posted By: WMR Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/05/22
Originally Posted by WAM

Weatherby envy? Not hardly. I guess Iā€™d be group #3. Owned a couple MK Vā€™s, a 7mm and a 257. Good enough guns but didnā€™t rate as keepers. 2 more if you count Orion shotguns. I liked them but they also went down the road. I guess Iā€™m Non-Weatherby- Binary. Or something like that.

Edited to add: I shot em all more than 6 times. Thousands of rounds through a SKB Orion 12ga.
Posted By: brittguy16 Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/05/22
ā€¦which is very weird given that Weatherbys are known for having a long freeborešŸ§
Posted By: John55 Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/05/22
Their 6.5 RPM does not have the typical long Wby freebore. Theyā€™ve made a point of saying that in the write ups on it.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/05/22
Good grief.... obviously the bullet stuck in the lands and that is why it separated upon extraction.... the powder jammed up the works.... jeesh , not rocket science
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/05/22
Originally Posted by irfubar
Good grief.... obviously the bullet stuck in the lands and that is why it separated upon extraction.... the powder jammed up the works.... jeesh , not rocket science

I posted this on page 1 and they are still going at it

quote=jwp475]

[/quote]
Posted By: Al_Nyhus Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/05/22

Amen....covered early on. wink But in the best Campfire tradition, once it gets past a few of replies....things go in the toilet pretty quickly. Mostly the work of bogus OP's, trollers and multi-handle types. In 10 more replies, somebody will bloviate about someones family, cheek weld, what they'd use in Antarctica or some other moronic blah-blah.

"This one time...at band camp...."
It's been 20 or more years since I've had a Weatherby MK V. I'm just curious about what type and style of trigger the current production is using.

I don't need to know about Leupold products nor want to.
Posted By: Dogger Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/05/22
Factory ammo is expensive lol. I mounted a SWFA 10X milquad on it. First two shots were nearly touching and a click or two on one knob put me where i wanted to be. Next three shots from three different shooters were in a tight group. I suppose this doesn't pass Campfire accuracy but Im easy to impress. There is no loose powder in the bolt. Hope to hear back from Weatherby tomorrow. I have 60 rounds of the 127 grain LRX... it has a slightly shorter coal... might need to go that route once the bolt is sorted out.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/05/22
The ejector pulled the brass out dumping powder into the breech and leaving the bullet. Oh boy. Took a cleaning rod and ran it down the muzzle and a gentle tap dropped the bullet.

Hunted two seasons with my Sako 85 doing the same thing. Carried my cleaning rod to & from the blind every time.
It was my fault though. My loads shot so accurately & fast with bullet jammed hard into the lands, I was remiss to address it. Finally did & now it is back to proper function.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/05/22
Originally Posted by Reloder28
The ejector pulled the brass out dumping powder into the breech and leaving the bullet. Oh boy. Took a cleaning rod and ran it down the muzzle and a gentle tap dropped the bullet.

Hunted two seasons with my Sako 85 doing the same thing. Carried my cleaning rod to & from the blind every time.
It was my fault though. My loads shot so accurately & fast with bullet jammed hard into the lands, I was remiss to address it. Finally did & now it is back to proper function.

I would not admit to this.....
Posted By: ldholton Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/05/22
that's exactly right that's what I hinted to on my first posted. it's just figuring out if the ammo Chambers off or the ammo was off somewhere... if every round chamber had been fired before extracted you wouldn't know. that's the first round that have been extracted not fired it's up in the air..
If you recovered the brass from the final functioning shot, was it intact?

If you didn't recover it, I suspect a bit of the neck broke off and stayed in the chamber (which is a rare malfunction with fresh brass, but I've had it happen with reloads).
Yes the recovered brass is intact.
Posted By: mathman Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/05/22
Factory ammo is expensive lol. I mounted a SWFA 10X milquad on it. First two shots were nearly touching and a click or two on one knob put me where i wanted to be. Next three shots from three different shooters were in a tight group. I suppose this doesn't pass Campfire accuracy but Im easy to impress.

With a new rifle that wouldn't satisfy my version of OCD. grin
What is interesting is the necks of the first five ejected brass look perfectly round, the sixth round is dented a bit off-round... not sure if it struck the scope when ejecting.

The first five were shot months ago when zeroed for the upcoming season
Posted By: horse1 Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/05/22
Buddy had a fresh re-barrel and a brand new scope. I nabbed it as he knew he wouldn't have time to work up a load and sight in. He had a projectile, wanted to start .040 off the lands and had his powder picked out. I ran the #'s in QL and loaded up several shot charges and shot them w/the LabRadar running. I got to max safe velocity per QL before I got to the max powder charge but being a faster twist than SAMII I kind of expected that. I sighted in while finding pressure. I loaded up 10 @ the proper safe max velocity powder charge. Shots 11-15 through the new bbl went into <1" @ 200yds and precisely where I wanted POI/POA. I didn't shoot the next 5. Called it good and shot # 16 through the new barrel killed a beautiful Mule Deer @ 325yds.

I don't need a ton of rounds through a rifle if I trust the bedding, mounting, and optics.
Posted By: StGeorger Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/06/22
Or maybe the bullet in the second round moved forward under recoil in the magazine when the first shot was fired at the deer. Maybe all the range shots were single loaded, none in magazine to move.

Just a thought.
Posted By: Elvis Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/06/22
I once sighted in a very accurate .257 Roberts with essentially four shots with a new scope. First shot at 25m was out a bit. Adjusted scope and second shot was about one inch low at 25m but dead in line. Moved out to 100m and the third shot was about 3 1/2 inch high. Adjusted scope and fourth shot was two inches high. I let the barrel cool for a bit but it wasn't really hot after four rounds. Then I fired a three shot group just to confirm POI which went into 1/2 an inch group right on top of the fourth shot.

And the scope was one of those 'crappy' VX3i's with supposedly poor adjustments. So it can happen at times.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/06/22
Many years a go I traded a shotgun that pissed me off for a Mark V Sporter in 270 Weatherby mag. Picked up dies and brass . Started loading for it and found out it did not like 130 gr bullets period. Ended up with Hornady 150 sp's and 7828 they were a winner. Shot 3 of my nicest whitetail bucks with it never a problem till I used some Barnes x bullets in it. 12 rounds and total copper fouled the bore. Seemed like it took a long time to decopper that barrel. Weatherby and the Burris on it are fine original Barnes X bullets sucked...mb

PS should I have bad mouthed the rifle because original Barnes X bullets sucked?
Posted By: WAM Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/06/22
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Many years a go I traded a shotgun that pissed me off for a Mark V Sporter in 270 Weatherby mag. Picked up dies and brass . Started loading for it and found out it did not like 130 gr bullets period. Ended up with Hornady 150 sp's and 7828 they were a winner. Shot 3 of my nicest whitetail bucks with it never a problem till I used some Barnes x bullets in it. 12 rounds and total copper fouled the bore. Seemed like it took a long time to decopper that barrel. Weatherby and the Burris on it are fine original Barnes X bullets sucked...mb

PS should I have bad mouthed the rifle because original Barnes X bullets sucked?

Sure, why not? All the sheepdips on here do! LOL
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

I had a 27 year old stainless Mark V that loved 130 gr TTSX bullets loaded in Wby ammo.
Posted By: TonyRumore Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/06/22
The chamber/throat dimensions didnā€™t change between the 6th and 7th cartridges being chambered, so clearly round 7 was not the same as the previous 6.

Tony
Posted By: CZ550 Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/06/22
Originally Posted by StGeorger
Or maybe the bullet in the second round moved forward under recoil in the magazine when the first shot was fired at the deer. Maybe all the range shots were single loaded, none in magazine to move.

Just a thought.

Can't happen, but the reverse may happen... when the front of the magazine slams the noses of those in the magazine under recoil - which is revealed in those remaining in the magazine or clip by slightly flattened tips if lead is exposed. In heavy recoiling rifles, Nosler Partitions, Interlocs, etc, can flatten tips enough that the BC is significantly altered.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca
Posted By: Dogger Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/06/22
I contacted Weatherby service and got an RMA #... will be shipping the rifle to them for technical inspection. Will keep you posted on results... in the meantime I am hunting with M700s and M77s... never had a problem with any of them šŸ§
The rifle is a Mark V Weathermark Bronze with a Triggertech trigger. It looks a bit goofy with a 10X SS milquad scope mounted on it... but I wanted the setup to be extremely reliable. Lol. Maybe I should mount that scope on my M77 300 RSAUM and be done with guessing which setup will be reliable in the field for a future elk adventure.
Posted By: Ben_Lurkin Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/06/22
Originally Posted by TonyRumore
The chamber/throat dimensions didnā€™t change between the 6th and 7th cartridges being chambered, so clearly round 7 was not the same as the previous 6.

Tony

That or perhaps a bit of debris in the throat area? It doesnā€™t seem to point to the rifle as the issue if the previous six cycled and shot as designed.
Talk about bizarre: after dozens of attempts to get the safety off i set the bolt aside to go back to work. A half hour later, i inserted the bolt into the rifle and the safety functions again, and trigger mechanism worked too... for about a half dozen times... now the safety is inop again ... my guess is something is left over from the manufacturing process, inside the bolt internals, interfering with its operation. Or some component is out of spec.
Posted By: irfubar Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/06/22
Talk about bizarre: after dozens of attempts to get the safety off i set the bolt aside to go back to work. A half hour later, i inserted the bolt into the rifle and the safety functions again, and trigger mechanism worked too... for about a half dozen times... now the safety is inop again ... my guess is something is left over from the manufacturing process, inside the bolt internals, interfering with its operation. Or some component is out of spec.

The piece of powder jamming the works came dislodged....

I am beginning to understand why Stick is such an azzhole
good lord, i can't imagine a spec of ball powder or two jamming up a bolt(?) ... compressed air blown into the firing pin hole, gas ports, etc. did not loosen up anything...
Posted By: mathman Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 12/06/22
See if there's a youtube for MkV bolt disassembly.
good lord, i can't imagine a spec of ball powder or two jamming up a bolt(?) ... compressed air blown into the firing pin hole, gas ports, etc. did not loosen up anything...

Enclosed triggers like the trigger tech are very susceptible.... many old timers, myself included, prefer the old M70 open trigger for this reason
You are making me a believer... some number of years ago, a campfire old timer was selling a pre-64 M70 in 300 H&H for around $2K... like a dumb@$$ I didn't buy it...

My 300 H&H is an X-bolt and I'm looking at it with the stink eye, wondering if it is going to surprise me like this here Weatherby...
You are making me a believer... some number of years ago, a campfire old timer was selling a pre-64 M70 in 300 H&H for around $2K... like a dumb@$$ I didn't buy it...

My 300 H&H is an X-bolt and I'm looking at it with the stink eye, wondering if it is going to surprise me like this here Weatherby...

If your Ruger is a MK11 or a Hawkeye, it has an open trigger
It is a Mk II, close to 20 years old now with perhaps 100 rounds thru it without a bobble. It has an early production Vortex Viper 3-9/40 on it... i might swap scopes with the 10X MQ from the Weatherby and make the Ruger the go to.
Posted By: Dogger Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 01/11/23
The customer service folks at Weatherby have been great to work with. They sent me a fedex return label and it was a piece of cake to slap it on the nondescript box and ship out of Lynchburg (one hour away)... the rifle arrived in Sheridan this morning... curious to know what their technical inspection reveals...
Posted By: ERK Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 01/12/23
Let me see here. So far all Weatherby are junk. All Leopoldo are junk and now hornady interlocks are junk. Oh ya add Remington rifles as junk. It amazes me that after 50 years of guns and ammo and reloading Iā€™ve never had these problems. Fingers crossed. Edk
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Bbbbut for most gun owners removing the stock would require at least one gunsmith, two engineers, and a quality control team. Turning screws is complicated stuffā€¦ā€¦

Ifā€™n it was me Iā€™d had the gun apart to see what was going on with the safety-trigger-bolt system in a heartbeat.

Cleaning any factory/manufacturing grease or oil from the trigger and bolt before before shooting a new rifle is always a good idea in the first placeā€¦.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 01/12/23
Originally Posted by Dave_Spn

I don't see a problem with it. Hell, just 2 weeks ago my wife drove to work in a car with 5 miles on it.
I deliver cars for a local Chevrolet dealership. I have jumped in many a car and drove 350 miles with only 5 miles on the odometer. I haven't had one fail yet. But, I'm getting paid to take that chance so the new owners don't. My bet is some out of spec ammo for that Weatherby. I don't have an answer as to why the safety won't work. That is Weatherby's problem.

kwg
Posted By: rost495 Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 01/12/23
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I'm sure that Ruger 77 300RSAUM is bullet proof. I'd hunt that one. Hard to f that one up. I have one just like it and would hunt the world over with it. A Weatherby made rifle, not so much...
LMAO. Either can fail. Rifles are mechanical things. They can and do fail. Everyone will eventually fail. Every last one.

The ones say you didn't shoot it enough, well yes and no. Things happen at times. I"d rather have run a few hundred rounds before I trusted the gun to anything serious. Yet I"ve fired ONE shot in a new rifle and killed an animal with the next. If you do a good boresighting and one shot zero its easy.

In fact almost every gun I"ve ever bore sighted looking through the bore you could kill a deer with at 100 yards.

What matters here is how Weatherby handles the issue. And interesting what they find.

According to this people should get rid of their cars the first time a part breaks... OTOH I do believe like with cars, if there is more than an issue or two early on, then scrub it as a lemon and move on.
Posted By: Dogger Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 01/12/23
Lol, i was a tanker. You don't put 100 rounds down a main gun tube before you trust it to put steel on target. The Weatherby came to me dry as a bone. Zeroed in three rounds and three more rounds from different shooters all "minute of deer". The 140 grain interlock put a nuclear @$$ whippin' on the buck. I love the rifle and the cartridge. Really curious as to what their gunsmith determines. If they tell me it is operator headspace and timing I will drop a load in my trousers.

Whats really weird is how the bolt safety went back into operation a half dozen tries then crapped out again... i think there is some debris from manufacture residing inside... and perhaps the chamber tolerances are just a bit too tight...
Posted By: hanco Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 01/12/23
I had a MK V. It was a good rifle. Iā€™ve bore sighted a couple rifles through the years that were spot on, was happy after 5 or 6 shots.
Posted By: keith Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 01/12/23
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
For your description, it sounds like a simple case of the bullet getting jammed into the rifling. With a factory rifle shooting the rifle mfgs. factory ammo, that's a pretty rare situation. But not impossible.

If you're not a gun tinkerer, you may want to talk with where you purchased it and let them take it from there.

Good shootin' -Al

You have powder in the trigger, blow out with an air hose, remove the action from the stock. Now, the ammo is probably defective, seated too long. I would try another brand of ammo.

You will get the trigger free after you have blown out the powder, air hose, not can air!

What amazes me is that the first 6 shots out of the box of ammo worked well, then it did not. Hummm...... Carefully, slowly cycle the balance of the ammo through the rifle, muzzle pointed in a safe direction, preferably outside, not in the house with the gun pointed toward the Big Screen TV....like my nephew did, killing the new 72" TV.
Posted By: dh1 Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 01/12/23
What was the diameter of the bullet that got stuck? Was it ever measured. Sorry if this was asked and answered, I didnā€™t see it scanning thru all the bullschitt.
Posted By: keith Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 01/12/23
Originally Posted by ingwe

Yeah...that alone tells you everything you need to know.

many people do not even verify zero from year to year, must less clean their rifles, etc.
This thread has gotten pretty long, so maybe I missed it....but:
based on the sight in procedure used, and meezly round count, my guess is that the OP might have never loaded a full magazine. Were the sight in rounds singly loaded?

Try it again with at least two rounds loaded, standing just like you shot the buck. Except, now measure the Cartridge Overall Length on the round that was in the magazine. Did the bullet get pulled out at all??
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 01/13/23
Without question, the most accurate rifles I've ever owned. As others have stated, I would try and see if you could repeat the situation. In the past, I had one batch of factory Weatherby ammo (original Barnes 180 Xs) that I had to push the shell out with a rod and the primer was blown. I sent the rifle and ammo back to Weatherby and they checked the rifle out and sent me replacement ammunition. My guess is the cartridges are the issue and not the rifle.
Posted By: Dogger Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 02/07/23
Update:

Got a call from the good folks at Weatherby today:
They did a safety and functions check of the rifle,
They did not like the way it was feeding and rubbing dummy test rounds, so polished the chamber and removed some material from the throat,
Updated the mag box and followers with current versions of same,
Greased the bolt at certain points,
Test fired the rifle.
All is good.
Will be enroute back to me shortly. I hope it runs like a scalded dog. Kudos to Weatherby for the way they have handled this to date.
Posted By: ERK Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 02/07/23
Good luck sir. Hope it meets your expectations. Edk
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 02/07/23
Originally Posted by ERK
It amazes me that after 50 years of guns and ammo and reloading Iā€™ve never had these problems. Fingers crossed. Edk

Perfect way to jinx yourself . . . smirk
Glad the folks at Weatherby are getting you fixed up. Hope I never need them but hearing theyā€™re standing behind their guns is comforting to know. Hopefully youā€™ll have a lifetime of hunting with it and never have another problem.
Posted By: Dogger Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 02/15/23
Got the rifle back on Sunday. Weatherby included a synopsis of work done. It appears the chamber was on the tight end for 140 Hornady factory loads so they opened it up a bit. Also found out i need to grease the bolt at three points for the safety lever to cam properly. That was a surprise. Have not had the opportunity to get back to the range. All in all a positive experience, i am very impressed by their responsiveness and customer support.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 02/15/23
Sounds like stellar service. Thanks for the Post and keeping us posted.

Let us know after a few more rounds.
Posted By: goodshot Re: Broke a Weatherby today - 02/17/23
I have had 3 MKV weatherby rifles. All the six lug action, all functioned fine and with the correct hand loads very accurate. I happen to have a Weathermark MKV in 6.5 rpm ! Functions and shoots great. It does not have a long throat. My other two were a 280 Remington and a 270 win ultra light. I have not tried the interlock but like them. Never had any bullet from Hornady not measure correctly. I love the 24 hr campfire but you kind of learn to tune certain things out , that being said there is a bunch of great guys on here that are helpful and knowledgeable. Best of luck to ya!
© 24hourcampfire