Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dogger
good lord, i can't imagine a spec of ball powder or two jamming up a bolt(?) ... compressed air blown into the firing pin hole, gas ports, etc. did not loosen up anything...

Enclosed triggers like the trigger tech are very susceptible.... many old timers, myself included, prefer the old M70 open trigger for this reason

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
GB1

D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
You are making me a believer... some number of years ago, a campfire old timer was selling a pre-64 M70 in 300 H&H for around $2K... like a dumb@$$ I didn't buy it...

My 300 H&H is an X-bolt and I'm looking at it with the stink eye, wondering if it is going to surprise me like this here Weatherby...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You are making me a believer... some number of years ago, a campfire old timer was selling a pre-64 M70 in 300 H&H for around $2K... like a dumb@$$ I didn't buy it...

My 300 H&H is an X-bolt and I'm looking at it with the stink eye, wondering if it is going to surprise me like this here Weatherby...

If your Ruger is a MK11 or a Hawkeye, it has an open trigger

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
It is a Mk II, close to 20 years old now with perhaps 100 rounds thru it without a bobble. It has an early production Vortex Viper 3-9/40 on it... i might swap scopes with the 10X MQ from the Weatherby and make the Ruger the go to.

D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
The customer service folks at Weatherby have been great to work with. They sent me a fedex return label and it was a piece of cake to slap it on the nondescript box and ship out of Lynchburg (one hour away)... the rifle arrived in Sheridan this morning... curious to know what their technical inspection reveals...

IC B2

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Let me see here. So far all Weatherby are junk. All Leopoldo are junk and now hornady interlocks are junk. Oh ya add Remington rifles as junk. It amazes me that after 50 years of guns and ammo and reloading I’ve never had these problems. Fingers crossed. Edk

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I would remove the action from the stock and clean all the spilt powder out of the trigger/action/bolt.

Bbbbut for most gun owners removing the stock would require at least one gunsmith, two engineers, and a quality control team. Turning screws is complicated stuff……

If’n it was me I’d had the gun apart to see what was going on with the safety-trigger-bolt system in a heartbeat.

Cleaning any factory/manufacturing grease or oil from the trigger and bolt before before shooting a new rifle is always a good idea in the first place….

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dave_Spn
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555
6 rounds from sight in to hunting????

I was scratching my head on that too.

I don't see a problem with it. Hell, just 2 weeks ago my wife drove to work in a car with 5 miles on it.
I deliver cars for a local Chevrolet dealership. I have jumped in many a car and drove 350 miles with only 5 miles on the odometer. I haven't had one fail yet. But, I'm getting paid to take that chance so the new owners don't. My bet is some out of spec ammo for that Weatherby. I don't have an answer as to why the safety won't work. That is Weatherby's problem.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
New production Weatherby Mark V Bronze in 6.5 RPM. Weatherby Select 140 Interlock grain factory load. This rifle has a total of six rounds thru it... First round today on a nice 8 pointer at 60 yards - devastating bullet performance. Ejected the brass without incident and attempted to slam the second cartridge home. Bolt did not want to close. Had to really slam it into battery. Deer was down for the count so no need for a follow-up shot. Attempted to eject the cartridge and bolt did not want to open. dumped the rounds from the bottom plate then had to really manhandle the bolt open. The ejector pulled the brass out dumping powder into the breech and leaving the bullet. Oh boy. Took a cleaning rod and ran it down the muzzle and a gentle tap dropped the bullet. Removed the bolt and reinserted it into the rifle and closed it to do a function check... trigger will not fire... bolt safety is in the hot position and will not toggle to safe. Dang. I am clueless on Weatherby bolts so I have an email in to customer service. I was planning on taking this rifle on a 2023 elk hunt... now i am not so sure... M700 in 280 Remington and M77 in 300 RSAUM are moving up in the batting order.

I'm sure that Ruger 77 300RSAUM is bullet proof. I'd hunt that one. Hard to f that one up. I have one just like it and would hunt the world over with it. A Weatherby made rifle, not so much...
LMAO. Either can fail. Rifles are mechanical things. They can and do fail. Everyone will eventually fail. Every last one.

The ones say you didn't shoot it enough, well yes and no. Things happen at times. I"d rather have run a few hundred rounds before I trusted the gun to anything serious. Yet I"ve fired ONE shot in a new rifle and killed an animal with the next. If you do a good boresighting and one shot zero its easy.

In fact almost every gun I"ve ever bore sighted looking through the bore you could kill a deer with at 100 yards.

What matters here is how Weatherby handles the issue. And interesting what they find.

According to this people should get rid of their cars the first time a part breaks... OTOH I do believe like with cars, if there is more than an issue or two early on, then scrub it as a lemon and move on.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Lol, i was a tanker. You don't put 100 rounds down a main gun tube before you trust it to put steel on target. The Weatherby came to me dry as a bone. Zeroed in three rounds and three more rounds from different shooters all "minute of deer". The 140 grain interlock put a nuclear @$$ whippin' on the buck. I love the rifle and the cartridge. Really curious as to what their gunsmith determines. If they tell me it is operator headspace and timing I will drop a load in my trousers.

Whats really weird is how the bolt safety went back into operation a half dozen tries then crapped out again... i think there is some debris from manufacture residing inside... and perhaps the chamber tolerances are just a bit too tight...

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I had a MK V. It was a good rifle. I’ve bore sighted a couple rifles through the years that were spot on, was happy after 5 or 6 shots.

Last edited by hanco; 01/12/23.
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
For your description, it sounds like a simple case of the bullet getting jammed into the rifling. With a factory rifle shooting the rifle mfgs. factory ammo, that's a pretty rare situation. But not impossible.

If you're not a gun tinkerer, you may want to talk with where you purchased it and let them take it from there.

Good shootin' -Al

You have powder in the trigger, blow out with an air hose, remove the action from the stock. Now, the ammo is probably defective, seated too long. I would try another brand of ammo.

You will get the trigger free after you have blown out the powder, air hose, not can air!

What amazes me is that the first 6 shots out of the box of ammo worked well, then it did not. Hummm...... Carefully, slowly cycle the balance of the ammo through the rifle, muzzle pointed in a safe direction, preferably outside, not in the house with the gun pointed toward the Big Screen TV....like my nephew did, killing the new 72" TV.

Last edited by keith; 01/12/23.
dh1 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What was the diameter of the bullet that got stuck? Was it ever measured. Sorry if this was asked and answered, I didn’t see it scanning thru all the bullschitt.

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555
6 rounds from sight in to hunting????

I was scratching my head on that too.

Yeah...that alone tells you everything you need to know.

many people do not even verify zero from year to year, must less clean their rifles, etc.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
This thread has gotten pretty long, so maybe I missed it....but:
based on the sight in procedure used, and meezly round count, my guess is that the OP might have never loaded a full magazine. Were the sight in rounds singly loaded?

Try it again with at least two rounds loaded, standing just like you shot the buck. Except, now measure the Cartridge Overall Length on the round that was in the magazine. Did the bullet get pulled out at all??

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by six.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Without question, the most accurate rifles I've ever owned. As others have stated, I would try and see if you could repeat the situation. In the past, I had one batch of factory Weatherby ammo (original Barnes 180 Xs) that I had to push the shell out with a rod and the primer was blown. I sent the rifle and ammo back to Weatherby and they checked the rifle out and sent me replacement ammunition. My guess is the cartridges are the issue and not the rifle.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Update:

Got a call from the good folks at Weatherby today:
They did a safety and functions check of the rifle,
They did not like the way it was feeding and rubbing dummy test rounds, so polished the chamber and removed some material from the throat,
Updated the mag box and followers with current versions of same,
Greased the bolt at certain points,
Test fired the rifle.
All is good.
Will be enroute back to me shortly. I hope it runs like a scalded dog. Kudos to Weatherby for the way they have handled this to date.

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Good luck sir. Hope it meets your expectations. Edk

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ERK
It amazes me that after 50 years of guns and ammo and reloading I’ve never had these problems. Fingers crossed. Edk

Perfect way to jinx yourself . . . smirk

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Glad the folks at Weatherby are getting you fixed up. Hope I never need them but hearing they’re standing behind their guns is comforting to know. Hopefully you’ll have a lifetime of hunting with it and never have another problem.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

242 members (264mag, 204guy, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 29aholic, 28 invisible), 2,234 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,875
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.