Home
Posted By: Marley7x57 Cooper Firearms - 12/05/22
Any truth to the rumor that they are moving to southern hospitable environment?

Kinda like NULA??
Posted By: Hydehunter Re: Cooper Firearms - 12/05/22
if they do move I hope they think about So Dakota, their phone mess says they are moving but no location said
Posted By: Marley7x57 Re: Cooper Firearms - 12/05/22
South Dakota would make sense but way south of there is where they are supposed to land. It will be interesting to see how it works out.
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Cooper Firearms - 12/05/22
Why are they moving?
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Cooper Firearms - 12/06/22
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Why are they moving?
To get further from Missoula would be my guess.
Posted By: GrouseChaser Re: Cooper Firearms - 12/06/22
They are probably looking for a tax-haven, and a larger workforce they can pay lower wages. Western Montana isn't a cheap place to live any more.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Cooper Firearms - 12/06/22
Heard they were moving to Connecticut because that is where the company that owns them produces their barrels.
Posted By: BooseB Re: Cooper Firearms - 12/06/22
I was going to call today to check the age of a model 54 and saw the same message. I guess if they move that will make my 2 Montana made Cooper's that much more special.
Posted By: Bill_N Re: Cooper Firearms - 12/06/22
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Heard they were moving to Connecticut because that is where the company that owns them produces their barrels.

I seriously doubt it! The Liberals have pushed most gunmakers out of the state.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Cooper Firearms - 12/06/22
Originally Posted by Bill_N
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

I seriously doubt it! The Liberals have pushed most gunmakers out of the state.
Arenโ€™t they in Montana? Youโ€™d think Montana is a great state to manufacture firearms.
Posted By: KenMi Re: Cooper Firearms - 12/06/22
They are in a major regrouping it seems like. Models and variations kept disappearing off their site. The Classic and Varminter are gone. All single shot actions are discontinued. Maybe it is market demand, maybe it is cost vs. profit.

Hopefully they aren't another Kimber of Oregon story in the works.

One of their major dealers told me last week, the current order time now is 24 months. That will turn many away.
Posted By: Bill_N Re: Cooper Firearms - 12/07/22
I sent a rifle in for some rework last winter that ended up taking 3 1/2 months. Customer service was great to deal with but I was told they're understaffed due to Covid. It's hard to replace skilled workers in any industry but maybe more so in their current location. I hope they can get back on track in the future.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Cooper Firearms - 12/07/22
Originally Posted by KenMi
They are in a major regrouping it seems like. Models and variations kept disappearing off their site. The Classic and Varminter are gone. All single shot actions are discontinued. Maybe it is market demand, maybe it is cost vs. profit.

One of their major dealers told me last week, the current order time now is 24 months. That will turn many away.

Good, my 3 Montana Varminter SS are worth more. ๐Ÿ‘
Posted By: KenMi Re: Cooper Firearms - 12/07/22
Originally Posted by Swifty52

Good, my 3 Montana Varminter SS are worth more. ๐Ÿ‘

All depends what action. They still show the MV, but only in repeaters. However, the model cutting hasn't done anything for resale prices of the single shots yet. Probably will eventually
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Cooper Firearms - 12/07/22

Yeah, I hope not. I saw a really nice Cooper 280 the other day for $1,700.00. I should have bought it.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Cooper Firearms - 12/07/22
Asking prices on Coopers has gone thru the roof. Not sure if they are selling at these increased prices but they sure have gotten expensive.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Cooper Firearms - 12/07/22
Originally Posted by Marley7x57
Any truth to the rumor that they are moving to southern hospitable environment?

Kinda like NULA??

This is off the Cooper subject, but NULA did not move to Arkansas because of "southern hospitable environment." It's West Virginia location was working just fine--except for Melvin Forbes getting older and not wanting to work as hard. So he sold the company to Bill Wilson, owner of Wilson Combat, whose plant has been in Arkansas for years. Melvin is staying in West Virginia, and at least for now his shop will be doing service/repairs.
Posted By: MickeyD Re: Cooper Firearms - 12/07/22
Not trying be pick nits, but I believe Wilson Combat is located in Berryville, Arkansas.
Posted By: Marley7x57 Re: Cooper Firearms - 12/07/22
"Kinda like NULA" in that the company was sold and moved to Arkansas.

And, yes, Wilson Combat is located in Arkansas.
Posted By: tops911 Re: Cooper Firearms - 12/07/22
Now I wish I would have stopped by for a tour of the factory, I have driven by it many-many times. I thought I'd have plenty of time for a tour.....
Posted By: BooseB Re: Cooper Firearms - 12/07/22
Luckily I did just that last year when I was in town from KY. Word on the street is that Cooper sold and is relocating, such a shame. Makes my 2 Coopers made in Stevensville even more valuable to me.
Posted By: hanco Re: Cooper Firearms - 12/08/22
Are the magazines still loose? I had a 264, magazine rattled around, safety was cheaply made on it. It was very accurate, great wood, maybe Iโ€™m nitpicking.
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Cooper Firearms - 12/11/22
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Why are they moving?
To get further from Missoula would be my guess.

My brother retired from the Missoula PD last after 30 years. He would love to move away from Missoula too.
Posted By: Marley7x57 Re: Cooper Firearms - 12/17/22
Appears Cooper Firearms was purchased by Nighthawk Custom. And, is moving to Berryville, Arkansas. Or, has already moved there.
Posted By: qwk Re: Cooper Firearms - 12/17/22
Sounds like Hugoโ€™s kid ran the place into the ground(during the biggest gun demand periods in history). No small feat. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
Posted By: drover Re: Cooper Firearms - 12/18/22
Appears Cooper Firearms was purchased by Nighthawk Custom. And, is moving to Berryville, Arkansas. Or, has already moved there.

Any links to confirmation on this or is it just "insider" info?

Originally Posted by qwk
Sounds like Hugoโ€™s kid ran the place into the ground(during the biggest gun demand periods in history). No small feat. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Yep, I saw that coming for a lot of years

drover
Posted By: ldholton Re: Cooper Firearms - 12/18/22
awsome just a little over an hour from home ..!
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Cooper Firearms - 12/18/22
This is just a little funny. Back in 2008-2010 or 11 before Wilson bought Cooper, the gun dealers couldnโ€™t give them away. I know I bought 2 at steep discounts, 1 had sat on the shelf for 2 years after a special order was refused due to Dan Cooper. Bought that one @400 off.
Posted By: Marley7x57 Re: Cooper Firearms - 12/19/22
Originally Posted by drover

More like everybody in town was talking about it.....
Posted By: drover Re: Cooper Firearms - 12/19/22

Town? - Hamilton / Stevensville ? Or Berryville ?

I am aware that Coopers impending shutdown has been an "open secret" in the Stevensville area but I have yet to see or hear of any confirmation of Cooper being sold. I am aware that Cooper has moved its resources from Stevensville but with no location announced yet that I have seen. At this point the new location, if there is to be one, all seems to be rumors.

It really doesn't matter to me where they are made, I have more than enough of their rifles now and with the recent price increases, and likely more to come after the move, I won't be purchasing any more.

I except that eventually the Cooper name will be like Kimber rifles who went through various ownerships - there will be those who want the Coopers built in the Dan Cooper era, others will want ones built during the Vivero era ownership, if they recover under a new owner then there will be folks who will want those.

drover
Posted By: boatammo Re: Cooper Firearms - 12/20/22
I'm very pleased to have the ones I have. 1 22lr, all the rest are my p-dog arsenal. I have been to both the plants many times and picked wood twice. always enjoyed meeting and talking with the people there. Really liked dealing with Laura and Mike. Dawn was great also.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Cooper Firearms - 12/20/22

Town? - Hamilton / Stevensville ? Or Berryville ?

I am aware that Coopers impending shutdown has been an "open secret" in the Stevensville area but I have yet to see or hear of any confirmation of Cooper being sold. I am aware that Cooper has moved its resources from Stevensville but with no location announced yet that I have seen. At this point the new location, if there is to be one, all seems to be rumors.

It really doesn't matter to me where they are made, I have more than enough of their rifles now and with the recent price increases, and likely more to come after the move, I won't be purchasing any more.

I except that eventually the Cooper name will be like Kimber rifles who went through various ownerships - there will be those who want the Coopers built in the Dan Cooper era, others will want ones built during the Vivero era ownership, if they recover under a new owner then there will be folks who will want those.

drover

Are they worth the asking price?? I know where I can get a beautiful 280AI for $1,700.00. The one hole target that comes with the rifle is haunting me..
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Cooper Firearms - 12/20/22
They are very accurate but they are a bit clunky in the non 92 version. They are shooters. I only have one model 52 in 30/06 but it is a great rifle. You would be ahead to snag it at that price as they continue to march north of that. I think that they run pretty accurate in that caliber as well. Best Christmas Wishes.
Posted By: MikeS Re: Cooper Firearms - 12/20/22
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Are they worth the asking price?? I know where I can get a beautiful 280AI for $1,700.00. The one hole target that comes with the rifle is haunting me..

Before I got too worked up over the test target I would confirm the target distance. I have heard it used to be 50 yards (or closer).
Originally Posted by kaboku68
They are very accurate but they are a bit clunky in the non 92 version. They are shooters. I only have one model 52 in 30/06 but it is a great rifle. You would be ahead to snag it at that price as they continue to march north of that. I think that they run pretty accurate in that caliber as well. Best Christmas Wishes.

Thanks. I appreciate that. I may head over and pick it up after Christmas. Hectic time of the year!! This rifle looks pretty slim, but I have not had it in hand yet. Just viewed from afar because of the price tag. Merry Christmas to you as well.
Originally Posted by MikeS

Before I got too worked up over the test target I would confirm the target distance. I have heard it used to be 50 yards (or closer).

That's good to know. I'll get a closer look at it for sure.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Cooper Firearms - 12/20/22
52 yards.
Posted By: kaboku68 Re: Cooper Firearms - 12/20/22
They hand lap those barrels so they need little breakin. Mine has a tight chamber and it has a wood stock. One time I had a 8K from the Bush Teacher's check and Sportsman's Warehouse was filing for bankruptcy. I walked about with the Cooper for 950.00, Zeiss 85FL and 65FLDiascope Spotters, a Leica rangerfinder, and a pair of Zeiss 10X42FL*T roofprism binoculars for 4K. It was roughly 65% off on every purchase.
I took it sheep and goat hunting and shot a goat with the Hornady Superperformance 165SST which it was super accurate with. The goat who was a medium size billy took a dive off of a cliff and wound up in a rock pocket 200ft down and 400ft up on a cliff. All you could see was the rear hoof. I tried all kinds of stuff to get to it to no avail. I haven't taken it hunting since. I probably need to get the stock refinished. It was a tough trip. The rifle is still good. I have moved on with different optics.

I think that they shoot at 35yards for the group but I haven't heard of many that shot over 3/4 MOA if you find the right handload. Certain calibers like the 06 and the 280AI are almost always accurate beyond belief. You might be looking at a Timberline which is a lightened backcountry rifle and is a lot slimmer. You and your tinkering tendencies would get that sucker down to 1/4 inch moa with a good load and solid benchwork.
Originally Posted by kaboku68
They hand lap those barrels so they need little breakin. Mine has a tight chamber and it has a wood stock. One time I had a 8K from the Bush Teacher's check and Sportsman's Warehouse was filing for bankruptcy. I walked about with the Cooper for 950.00, Zeiss 85FL and 65FLDiascope Spotters, a Leica rangerfinder, and a pair of Zeiss 10X42FL*T roofprism binoculars for 4K. It was roughly 65% off on every purchase.
I took it sheep and goat hunting and shot a goat with the Hornady Superperformance 165SST which it was super accurate with. The goat who was a medium size billy took a dive off of a cliff and wound up in a rock pocket 200ft down and 400ft up on a cliff. All you could see was the rear hoof. I tried all kinds of stuff to get to it to no avail. I haven't taken it hunting since. I probably need to get the stock refinished. It was a tough trip. The rifle is still good. I have moved on with different optics.

I think that they shoot at 35yards for the group but I haven't heard of many that shot over 3/4 MOA if you find the right handload. Certain calibers like the 06 and the 280AI are almost always accurate beyond belief. You might be looking at a Timberline which is a lightened backcountry rifle and is a lot slimmer. You and your tinkering tendencies would get that sucker down to 1/4 inch moa with a good load and solid benchwork.

That's good info. I appreciate it.. Swifty said 52 yards, but that is not much better. Maybe he's joking?
Posted By: drover Re: Cooper Firearms - 12/20/22
Originally Posted by MikeS

That's good to know. I'll get a closer look at it for sure.

I would say that is a steal on the 280AI, especially if it has decent wood on it.

At the old facility the targets were a bit less than 50 yards, when they built the new facility the test targets were shot at a true 50 yards. I have been in both test tunnels and I laser ranged the distance in the new tunnel to confirm that it was 50 yards.

Nowhere on their test target do they list the distance that the targets were shot but they guarantee 5 shot 1/2" groups at 100 yards with the centerfires and 1/4" 5 shot groups at 50 yards out the 22 LR.
It is a good advertising gimmick that has been in effect since Cooper first started building rifles, people look at the test target and automatically assume they were shot at 100 yards, I have even had folks tell me that is what is printed on their target but I have never seen one with it printed on it.
I have owned, and still own, numerous Coopers and they have all met the guarantee easily. (there is an exception to the guarantee with the lightweight centerfire magnums, if I recall correctly it is less than 1" for 3 shot groups at 100 yards)

drover
Posted By: ldholton Re: Cooper Firearms - 12/20/22
The Jackson squirrel rifle is on my want list
Posted By: geedubya Re: Cooper Firearms - 12/20/22
Let's see........

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Back in the day if you wanted a factory 17 mach IV, 17 Ackley Hornet, 17 HeeBee, a K-Hornet, any of the Cooper Centerfire Magnums....... and so forth, Cooper was your Huckleberry (excluding Bulberry and Virgin Valley Contender Barrels)

Models 21, 22, & 38. The only repeaters they produced were the 22 Rimfires IIRC. IIRC before the repeaters were produced there was some trepidation that the 1/2" guarantee could not be maintained.

I've owned well over two dozen Coopers. Never had one that would not shoot better than I could.

A few test targets

and a few @ 100

My second luv after Sakos.

ya!

GWB
Posted By: DLSguide Re: Cooper Firearms - 12/20/22
I have 2 early coopers model 52's bought years ago. First one is an 06 for $1200 and the second is a 270 $1500. Both shoot incredibly well and have killed lots of elk and deer. I had a little trouble with both rifles ,but Cooper was really good about correcting the problems right away. Visited the factory in Stevensville MT a couple time and was always treated first class. Always thought they were a little on the heavy side, but seemed well built and accurate. They have just gotten too expensive for me and now they are leaving Montana, So I probably won't buy any more.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Cooper Firearms - 12/21/22
Originally Posted by geedubya
Let's see........

Back in the day if you wanted a factory 17 mach IV, 17 Ackley Hornet, 17 HeeBee, a K-Hornet, any of the Cooper Centerfire Magnums....... and so forth, Cooper was your Huckleberry (excluding Bulberry and Virgin Valley Contender Barrels)

Models 21, 22, & 38. The only repeaters they produced were the 22 Rimfires IIRC. IIRC before the repeaters were produced there was some trepidation that the 1/2" guarantee could not be maintained.

I've owned well over two dozen Coopers. Never had one that would not shoot better than I could.

A few test targets

and a few @ 100

My second luv after Sakos.

ya!

GWB

Looks great to me..
Posted By: ejo Re: Cooper Firearms - 12/22/22
Originally Posted by ldholton
The Jackson squirrel rifle is on my want list

I could not be happier with mine. The Jackson squirrel is a great rifle.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Cooper Firearms - 12/22/22
Late comer to the Cooper rifle appreciation gallery. I had a 17 HMR for years and shot it quite a bit. I have a bunch of Sakos that have all been good shooters, but after the first Cooper centerfire, I took the plunge and have since gotten quite a few Coopers. They all shoot great...

Posted By: geedubya Re: Cooper Firearms - 12/23/22
Just fer schitz' n giggles.

Do not know if it is true as I've never bothered to Call Cooper to check the veracity of the man's claim, and do not know if there would be anyone there now that could verify.

I was told that is was the first Cooper M38 with the classic style stock, but with a schnaebel fore-end and 20" barrel.

It bears the serial number VR1.

100 yds.

Ya!

GWB
Posted By: Marley7x57 Re: Cooper Firearms - 01/05/23
Received this via email today:

1911s
Parts & Accessories
Revolvers

Nighthawk Custom Acquires
Cooper Firearms
January 5, 2023 in Berryville, Arkansas -

Mark Stone - Owner/CEO of Nighthawk Custom:

I am pleased to announce that Nighthawk Custom LLC has acquired Cooper Firearms of Montana, known for custom bolt-action rifles. The rifle company will now operate as Cooper Rifles of Arkansas LLC and will be located on the same campus as Nighthawk Custom in Northwest Arkansas. Nighthawk Custom will proudly be the exclusive distributor of all Cooper Rifles.

Customers of Cooper will be pleased to know that the name, legacy, and reputation of building high quality custom rifles will continue, and we as a company look forward to strengthening the brand and even improve upon the quality of the past.

We ask for your patience during this time of transition as we move all operations to Berryville, Arkansas. At this time, we are not able to give you an exact date that Cooper Rifles will begin operations. The process will take time, and our goal is to ensure the same great products and customer service from Cooper Rifles that you have come to know and expect from Nighthawk Custom. It will be worth the wait, and we know that you will be thrilled with the quality, craftsmanship, and our excellent customer support.

As owner and CEO of Nighthawk Custom, I am very excited about this acquisition. Cooper has a long reputation of building fine and accurate rifles for over 30 years. Each rifle will be built with 100% fully machined parts, stunning wood, hand checkering, and beautiful finishes that are a perfect fit with our existing offerings that we are known for.

Please like and follow Cooper Rifles social media and check out the website for the latest news and information. We will do our best to keep you up to date and informed on our progress.

Thank you for your continued support. We are excited for what 2023 holds and we are thankful that you are a part of it.

Sincerely,
Mark Stone
Owner & CEO
Visit Cooper Rifles
Check out Cooper Rifles on social media
Instagram

CALL TODAY
DEALER LOCATOR
Instagram
Posted By: Lee_Woiteshek Re: Cooper Firearms - 01/05/23
This one upmanship between Wilson Combat and Nighthawk is getting out of hand...I kinda of like it.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Cooper Firearms - 01/05/23
I have two Varmint Extremes a 223 and 25 WSSM and a Montana Varminter in 220 Swift. These three are all one holers. A Western Classic 22 LR has been reeking havoc on tree rats. Short of a full blown custom rifle a Cooper is the next best thing.
© 24hourcampfire