-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
B
Luckily I did just that last year when I was in town from KY. Word on the street is that Cooper sold and is relocating, such a shame. Makes my 2 Coopers made in Stevensville even more valuable to me.

GB1

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Are the magazines still loose? I had a 264, magazine rattled around, safety was cheaply made on it. It was very accurate, great wood, maybe I’m nitpicking.

Last edited by hanco; 12/08/22.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Why are they moving?
To get further from Missoula would be my guess.

My brother retired from the Missoula PD last after 30 years. He would love to move away from Missoula too.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Appears Cooper Firearms was purchased by Nighthawk Custom. And, is moving to Berryville, Arkansas. Or, has already moved there.

Q
qwk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Sounds like Hugo’s kid ran the place into the ground(during the biggest gun demand periods in history). No small feat. 😂😂😂

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Marley7x57
Appears Cooper Firearms was purchased by Nighthawk Custom. And, is moving to Berryville, Arkansas. Or, has already moved there.

Any links to confirmation on this or is it just "insider" info?

Originally Posted by qwk
Sounds like Hugo’s kid ran the place into the ground(during the biggest gun demand periods in history). No small feat. 😂😂😂

Yep, I saw that coming for a lot of years

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
awsome just a little over an hour from home ..!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is just a little funny. Back in 2008-2010 or 11 before Wilson bought Cooper, the gun dealers couldn’t give them away. I know I bought 2 at steep discounts, 1 had sat on the shelf for 2 years after a special order was refused due to Dan Cooper. Bought that one @400 off.

Swifty
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by drover

More like everybody in town was talking about it.....

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Town? - Hamilton / Stevensville ? Or Berryville ?

I am aware that Coopers impending shutdown has been an "open secret" in the Stevensville area but I have yet to see or hear of any confirmation of Cooper being sold. I am aware that Cooper has moved its resources from Stevensville but with no location announced yet that I have seen. At this point the new location, if there is to be one, all seems to be rumors.

It really doesn't matter to me where they are made, I have more than enough of their rifles now and with the recent price increases, and likely more to come after the move, I won't be purchasing any more.

I except that eventually the Cooper name will be like Kimber rifles who went through various ownerships - there will be those who want the Coopers built in the Dan Cooper era, others will want ones built during the Vivero era ownership, if they recover under a new owner then there will be folks who will want those.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm very pleased to have the ones I have. 1 22lr, all the rest are my p-dog arsenal. I have been to both the plants many times and picked wood twice. always enjoyed meeting and talking with the people there. Really liked dealing with Laura and Mike. Dawn was great also.

Last edited by boatammo; 12/19/22.

MOLON LABE
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Town? - Hamilton / Stevensville ? Or Berryville ?

I am aware that Coopers impending shutdown has been an "open secret" in the Stevensville area but I have yet to see or hear of any confirmation of Cooper being sold. I am aware that Cooper has moved its resources from Stevensville but with no location announced yet that I have seen. At this point the new location, if there is to be one, all seems to be rumors.

It really doesn't matter to me where they are made, I have more than enough of their rifles now and with the recent price increases, and likely more to come after the move, I won't be purchasing any more.

I except that eventually the Cooper name will be like Kimber rifles who went through various ownerships - there will be those who want the Coopers built in the Dan Cooper era, others will want ones built during the Vivero era ownership, if they recover under a new owner then there will be folks who will want those.

drover

Are they worth the asking price?? I know where I can get a beautiful 280AI for $1,700.00. The one hole target that comes with the rifle is haunting me..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
They are very accurate but they are a bit clunky in the non 92 version. They are shooters. I only have one model 52 in 30/06 but it is a great rifle. You would be ahead to snag it at that price as they continue to march north of that. I think that they run pretty accurate in that caliber as well. Best Christmas Wishes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Are they worth the asking price?? I know where I can get a beautiful 280AI for $1,700.00. The one hole target that comes with the rifle is haunting me..

Before I got too worked up over the test target I would confirm the target distance. I have heard it used to be 50 yards (or closer).

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by kaboku68
They are very accurate but they are a bit clunky in the non 92 version. They are shooters. I only have one model 52 in 30/06 but it is a great rifle. You would be ahead to snag it at that price as they continue to march north of that. I think that they run pretty accurate in that caliber as well. Best Christmas Wishes.

Thanks. I appreciate that. I may head over and pick it up after Christmas. Hectic time of the year!! This rifle looks pretty slim, but I have not had it in hand yet. Just viewed from afar because of the price tag. Merry Christmas to you as well.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MikeS

Before I got too worked up over the test target I would confirm the target distance. I have heard it used to be 50 yards (or closer).

That's good to know. I'll get a closer look at it for sure.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
52 yards.

Swifty
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
They hand lap those barrels so they need little breakin. Mine has a tight chamber and it has a wood stock. One time I had a 8K from the Bush Teacher's check and Sportsman's Warehouse was filing for bankruptcy. I walked about with the Cooper for 950.00, Zeiss 85FL and 65FLDiascope Spotters, a Leica rangerfinder, and a pair of Zeiss 10X42FL*T roofprism binoculars for 4K. It was roughly 65% off on every purchase.
I took it sheep and goat hunting and shot a goat with the Hornady Superperformance 165SST which it was super accurate with. The goat who was a medium size billy took a dive off of a cliff and wound up in a rock pocket 200ft down and 400ft up on a cliff. All you could see was the rear hoof. I tried all kinds of stuff to get to it to no avail. I haven't taken it hunting since. I probably need to get the stock refinished. It was a tough trip. The rifle is still good. I have moved on with different optics.

I think that they shoot at 35yards for the group but I haven't heard of many that shot over 3/4 MOA if you find the right handload. Certain calibers like the 06 and the 280AI are almost always accurate beyond belief. You might be looking at a Timberline which is a lightened backcountry rifle and is a lot slimmer. You and your tinkering tendencies would get that sucker down to 1/4 inch moa with a good load and solid benchwork.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by kaboku68
They hand lap those barrels so they need little breakin. Mine has a tight chamber and it has a wood stock. One time I had a 8K from the Bush Teacher's check and Sportsman's Warehouse was filing for bankruptcy. I walked about with the Cooper for 950.00, Zeiss 85FL and 65FLDiascope Spotters, a Leica rangerfinder, and a pair of Zeiss 10X42FL*T roofprism binoculars for 4K. It was roughly 65% off on every purchase.
I took it sheep and goat hunting and shot a goat with the Hornady Superperformance 165SST which it was super accurate with. The goat who was a medium size billy took a dive off of a cliff and wound up in a rock pocket 200ft down and 400ft up on a cliff. All you could see was the rear hoof. I tried all kinds of stuff to get to it to no avail. I haven't taken it hunting since. I probably need to get the stock refinished. It was a tough trip. The rifle is still good. I have moved on with different optics.

I think that they shoot at 35yards for the group but I haven't heard of many that shot over 3/4 MOA if you find the right handload. Certain calibers like the 06 and the 280AI are almost always accurate beyond belief. You might be looking at a Timberline which is a lightened backcountry rifle and is a lot slimmer. You and your tinkering tendencies would get that sucker down to 1/4 inch moa with a good load and solid benchwork.

That's good info. I appreciate it.. Swifty said 52 yards, but that is not much better. Maybe he's joking?

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by MikeS

That's good to know. I'll get a closer look at it for sure.

I would say that is a steal on the 280AI, especially if it has decent wood on it.

At the old facility the targets were a bit less than 50 yards, when they built the new facility the test targets were shot at a true 50 yards. I have been in both test tunnels and I laser ranged the distance in the new tunnel to confirm that it was 50 yards.

Nowhere on their test target do they list the distance that the targets were shot but they guarantee 5 shot 1/2" groups at 100 yards with the centerfires and 1/4" 5 shot groups at 50 yards out the 22 LR.
It is a good advertising gimmick that has been in effect since Cooper first started building rifles, people look at the test target and automatically assume they were shot at 100 yards, I have even had folks tell me that is what is printed on their target but I have never seen one with it printed on it.
I have owned, and still own, numerous Coopers and they have all met the guarantee easily. (there is an exception to the guarantee with the lightweight centerfire magnums, if I recall correctly it is less than 1" for 3 shot groups at 100 yards)

drover

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

91 members (7887mm08, 44mc, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 35, 7mm_Loco, 8 invisible), 1,606 guests, and 800 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,557
Posts18,510,448
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.