Home
Posted By: grayfox Dave Scovill - 06/13/23
Whatever happened to Dave Scovill, is he still working? Is he still writing ?
Posted By: gaperry59 Re: Dave Scovill - 06/13/23
He is retired now, and has been for several years. For an editor, he had an interesting pattern of starting to write about one topic, and rambling onto another. For example, he would frequently put a title on his column that, by the time you reached the end, had little to do with its content. Also, he wrote the longest sentences of any professional writer I've ever encountered. However, once I got used to his "style," I always read his column first. It's hard for me to admit, but I miss his writing. He was as loony as the rest of us, and liked to get down into the weeds on handloading subjects.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Dave Scovill - 06/13/23
gaperry,

Yep, that was Dave! I learned a lot while working with him for over 20 years.

But as he got older he tended to keep rehashing the same stuff--which isn't uncommon among gun writers. One reason I've been writing less is trying to avoid that tendency....
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Dave Scovill - 06/14/23
I always enjoyed his articles on the .45 Colt. His book on Single Actions and .45 Colt is all over the place, but has good info.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Dave Scovill - 06/14/23
"vice", "of interest"
Posted By: gaperry59 Re: Dave Scovill - 06/14/23
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I always enjoyed his articles on the .45 Colt. His book on Single Actions and .45 Colt is all over the place, but has good info.

Yes, that book is all over the place, but yet I've read it several times.
Posted By: 300_savage Re: Dave Scovill - 06/14/23
I enjoyed Dave Scovill a lot. Especially enjoyed his tales of Oregon and later life in the southwest. If he rehashed a topic, oh well, it was still interesting reading.
Posted By: chesterpulley Re: Dave Scovill - 06/14/23
I enjoyed Dave Scovill's style, but I kinda ramble myself. I didn't mind the rehashing either, there were nuggets to be pulled out of quite a few of his columns. Hope he's doing well.
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: Dave Scovill - 06/14/23
I enjoyed his big bore lever gun hunting in Africa.

Ron
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Dave Scovill - 06/14/23
Always worth reading. Very accomplished and knowledgable. Maybe just a bit too obviously proud of those things and quick to dismiss other peoples’ notions.

Still, the mags he ran have lost a step in other hands, no doubt about it.
Posted By: OGB Re: Dave Scovill - 06/14/23
Reading his articles was a bit like opening an unexpected pakage. The label may not describe what was inside but was usually interesting.

Like Warren Paige, he used odd verbiage at times. I am not quite sure where exactly "amidships" is on an animal.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Dave Scovill - 06/14/23
Originally Posted by OGB
Like Warren Paige, he used odd verbiage at times. I am not quite sure where exactly "amidships" is on an animal.

Right dab in the middle
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Dave Scovill - 06/14/23
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by OGB

Right dab in the middle

In other words, too far back.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Dave Scovill - 06/14/23
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by OGB

Right dab in the middle

In other words, too far back.

I didn't say that. I took this deer as he was going into the thick brush. Hit him "amid ship" and went right down, didn't make half a body length

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Dave Scovill - 06/14/23
Originally Posted by OGB
Reading his articles was a bit like opening an unexpected pakage. The label may not describe what was inside but was usually interesting.

In the middle, land lubber 😁
Posted By: OGB Re: Dave Scovill - 06/14/23
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Originally Posted by OGB

In the middle, land lubber 😁

HAHA you're onto me!
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Dave Scovill - 06/14/23
Originally Posted by gaperry59
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

Yes, that book is all over the place, but yet I've read it several times.

I also read it many times. Had too to pull out data and wanted too. LOL
Posted By: Craigster Re: Dave Scovill - 06/14/23
Never really cared for his work.
Posted By: 41rem Re: Dave Scovill - 06/14/23
He was definitely the crusty old timer like “get off my lawn [bleep] it!” guy, but I enjoyed his articles usually read them last as I was finishing up the Rifle/Handloader magazine. He definitely understands the big bore handgun world.

Posted By: Earlyagain Re: Dave Scovill - 06/14/23
I always read is column in Handloader. Haven't read his books yet. I figure the content of messages he got from readers could have exacerbated his inner curmudgeon :-)
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Dave Scovill - 06/15/23
Originally Posted by OGB
I am not quite sure where exactly "amidships" is on an animal.

Between aft and for'ard.
Posted By: EdM Re: Dave Scovill - 06/16/23
Originally Posted by Craigster
Never really cared for his work.

Bingo.
Posted By: John_Boy Re: Dave Scovill - 06/24/23
Re: rehashed gun article ramblings.....
It's ok. It's difficult not to eventually have to go over some of the same ground. The quality writers can do it and make it seem new. Choice of words is critical. Ask any preacher....
Read Agatha Christie.... She did a marvelous job avoiding similar plots.
#3 in books sales after the Bible and William Shakespeare...
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Dave Scovill - 06/25/23
Well I allways liked the way Dave told Randy and Coni to pull their head out before they suffocated when he told them their X bullet needed relief grooves like the Northfork to work right and stop c opper fouling so bad..mb lol
Posted By: Potsy Re: Dave Scovill - 06/25/23
I need his book on the .45 Colt. While Dave wasn’t my favorite writer, he did design the 270-SAA bullet!

His Turnbull .50 ‘86 Winchester fascinated me.

He did miff a few folks with his article 15 or so years ago where he supposedly sullied the character of Jack O’Connor. Don’t remember the details and I’m sure it’s in my back issues upstairs, but I’m way too lazy to go find it.
Posted By: GF1 Re: Dave Scovill - 06/27/23
Some of his writing interested me, but mostly the content and his expertise. He’s far from alone in his writing tendencies and style.

I never noticed decent prose running out of Papa Keith’s pen either, but I like and enjoy his work very much also.
Posted By: lotech Re: Dave Scovill - 06/27/23
Despite criticisms, Dave was a great editor and was not adverse to publishing out-of-the-mainstream articles and technical articles. He lasted much longer than many editors do in the gunwriting business. He likely did a lot of things right.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Dave Scovill - 06/27/23
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Well I allways liked the way Dave told Randy and Coni to pull their head out before they suffocated when he told them their X bullet needed relief grooves like the Northfork to work right and stop c opper fouling so bad..mb lol

Bingo - I always wondered if that impressed anyone else.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Dave Scovill - 06/27/23
Your welcome 5sdad. I allways wondered if Dave got a dime from Barnes for making them profitable. I can't be the only guy who had terrible copper fouling from all their bullets prior to tsx variety...mb
Posted By: Bugger Re: Dave Scovill - 06/27/23
I like the things he seemed to like and I liked his articles. One thing he wrote something like “Today’s deer hunters should be hunting with a 44-40
Lever gun with iron sights, so as to learn what hunting is.” His writings make me think we may be about the same age, IDK.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Dave Scovill - 06/27/23
Dave is in his late 70s. He was either 58 or 59 (can't remember exactly) when we went on a safari in Botswana's Okavanago Delta in August of 2003.
Posted By: Switch Re: Dave Scovill - 06/27/23
I always skipped over his articles.
Posted By: lotech Re: Dave Scovill - 06/27/23
Dave was always interesting to visit with at the SHOT Shows.
Posted By: 300_savage Re: Dave Scovill - 06/27/23
I did read Dave Scovill
Posted By: cas6969 Re: Dave Scovill - 07/01/23
Originally Posted by lotech
...and technical articles.

That's why I read the magazines. Read everything, cover to cover. Even things I had zero interest in. When they hired all the folks from the regular gun magazines and made it, well... mostly a "regular gun magazine", I stopped buying it.

I don't need any more "Here is a gun" articles. (Here's a gun I own, and here's some groups I shot with it, and please ignore that I've basically written this same exact article about this same gun a half dozen times or more.)

I enjoyed him. I can remember a few things he wrote, and projects/purchases of mine he influenced. That says something. There are plenty of well known, well like gun writers still working I can't say that about. (most)
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Dave Scovill - 07/01/23
Always liked his writing.
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: Dave Scovill - 07/01/23
I do Like the 45-270-SAA bullet in my .45 Colt. I had totally forgotten that he designed it.

Ron
Posted By: GrizzlyOne Re: Dave Scovill - 07/01/23
Scovill sucked me into the 375 Scovill in his writings. I was ready to take the plunge and I saw the 9.3X62 case one version was based on. I never looked back and have had two of them. Factory Brass and Ammunition, what's not to like with that? MK X action, Montana Rifle Barrel and assorted other niceties. Leupold 3X9 with Pachmyer Low Swing mount. Has the German Plex Reticle. Whitworth Express 3 Leaf rearsight and NECG front. Regulated the 3 leafs with a Laser Sighter at 25 yards. !00/200/300 hit on paper at 100 first go. Needs fine bead sighting to hit the leaf calibration. Has a M70 style safety. Have one 3 shot group at a 100 that is .45" Ctr To Ctr. Boyds stock because of my budget. May have to repost with picture. Been awhile since I've done this. Long live the 9.3 Mauser......

IMG_0831.jpeg
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Dave Scovill - 07/01/23
Originally Posted by GF1
Some of his writing interested me, but mostly the content and his expertise. He’s far from alone in his writing tendencies and style.

I never noticed decent prose running out of Papa Keith’s pen either, but I like and enjoy his work very much also.
Yeah, ole Elmer wasn’t a polished literary type, but he was a great story teller and had loads of on hand experience, making him a very interesting read. Thank God for editors.

DF
Posted By: cas6969 Re: Dave Scovill - 07/01/23
Originally Posted by GrizzlyOne
Scovill sucked me into the 375 Scovill in his writings. I was ready to take the plunge and I saw the 9.3X62 case one version was based on. I never looked back and have had two of them.

It's just "one of those things".

At one time it was "Where am I going to get 9.3x62 brass? 270/280/30-06 brass is everywhere, dang near free!"

Then the internet got into full swing and 9.3x62 isn't hard to come buy.

Then recent events made it flip flop again.

That's why at least one gun in every caliber is always the right answer. wink

(I have a Hawk/Scovill I haven't fired in 20+ years, but I'm still window shopping 9.3x62's on Gunbrokeme. Why, cuz I never owned one!) smile
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Dave Scovill - 07/01/23
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by GF1

Yeah, ole Elmer wasn’t a polished literary type, but he was a great story teller and had loads of on hand experience, making him a very interesting read. Thank God for editors.

DF

Have posted this before, but I know one of the guys who edited Elmer's Guns & Ammo copy--which was composed by Elmer himself on an old typewriter. Apparently one of the frequent typographic errors was substituting an "i" for the "o" when Elmer attempted to type the word "shot." (As you'll note, the "i" and "o" are next to each other on the standard keyboard.)
Posted By: 458Win Re: Dave Scovill - 07/02/23
Having worked for Dave , personally guided him on a brown bear hunt and spend numerous evenings With him and his wife Roberta I got to know him quite well. He is an intelligent man and did a commendable job of running Wolfe Publishing. Like all of us He has his faults and foibles but was quick to spot an imposter and didn’t suffer fools well. One of his outstanding traits is that he never seems to be at a loss for words.
Posted By: 300_savage Re: Dave Scovill - 07/02/23
458, have you ever thought about putting your articles together in a book? I'd be on that pre-order list!
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Dave Scovill - 07/04/23
We need an autobiography, or at least a biography.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Dave Scovill - 07/04/23
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by GF1

DF

Have posted this before, but I know one of the guys who edited Elmer's Guns & Ammo copy--which was composed by Elmer himself on an old typewriter. Apparently one of the frequent typographic errors was substituting an "i" for the "o" when Elmer attempted to type the word "shot." (As you'll note, the "i" and "o" are next to each other on the standard keyboard.)

That's awesome!

Haha!
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Dave Scovill - 07/04/23
It's silly....but what soured me a bit on Scoville was when he went off on Frank Barnes.

My favorite night time book was COTW.

It all seemed unnecessary....but maybe they had a long running dispute.

It was all over the 32 Win Special if I remember correctly.

Hell...Scoville could have easily been correct....but I didn't like the way he went about it.
Posted By: oldwoody2 Re: Dave Scovill - 07/04/23
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by GF1

DF

I have a letter from Elmer, " type written". When he made a mistake he'd x it out & keep going. Truly a CHARACTER
Posted By: 458Win Re: Dave Scovill - 07/05/23
I know Jeremiah Polacek and Rob Leahy, who builds holsters in Prescott, have been discussing it with me. I certainly am willing
Posted By: oldwoody2 Re: Dave Scovill - 07/05/23
Originally Posted by 458Win
I know Jeremiah Polacek and Rob Leahy, who builds holsters in Prescott, have been discussing it with me. I certainly am willing
Please do it !!! TELL THEM TO PRINT PLENTY !!!
Posted By: 300_savage Re: Dave Scovill - 07/05/23
Originally Posted by 458Win
Here's one sure sale!
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Dave Scovill - 07/06/23
".....I really don't care for that man."
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Dave Scovill - 07/08/23
I think one of the best, most practical articles Scovill wrote was on case neck tension and crimping. He tested various scenarios in the .45 Colt, adjusting neck tension via different size expanders. By far the best accuracy and least velocity variation was with a tight bullet fit (high neck tension) and a strong crimp. A tight crimp alone could not make up for low neck tension.

He also helped Doug Turnbull design the .475 Turnbull cartridge, based on the .50-110 case. I have a Ruger #1 so chambered, and it is easily the most accurate big bore rifle I have seen.
© 24hourcampfire