Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
grayfox Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Whatever happened to Dave Scovill, is he still working? Is he still writing ?

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
He is retired now, and has been for several years. For an editor, he had an interesting pattern of starting to write about one topic, and rambling onto another. For example, he would frequently put a title on his column that, by the time you reached the end, had little to do with its content. Also, he wrote the longest sentences of any professional writer I've ever encountered. However, once I got used to his "style," I always read his column first. It's hard for me to admit, but I miss his writing. He was as loony as the rest of us, and liked to get down into the weeds on handloading subjects.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
gaperry,

Yep, that was Dave! I learned a lot while working with him for over 20 years.

But as he got older he tended to keep rehashing the same stuff--which isn't uncommon among gun writers. One reason I've been writing less is trying to avoid that tendency....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I always enjoyed his articles on the .45 Colt. His book on Single Actions and .45 Colt is all over the place, but has good info.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
"vice", "of interest"

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I always enjoyed his articles on the .45 Colt. His book on Single Actions and .45 Colt is all over the place, but has good info.

Yes, that book is all over the place, but yet I've read it several times.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I enjoyed Dave Scovill a lot. Especially enjoyed his tales of Oregon and later life in the southwest. If he rehashed a topic, oh well, it was still interesting reading.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I enjoyed Dave Scovill's style, but I kinda ramble myself. I didn't mind the rehashing either, there were nuggets to be pulled out of quite a few of his columns. Hope he's doing well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I enjoyed his big bore lever gun hunting in Africa.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Always worth reading. Very accomplished and knowledgable. Maybe just a bit too obviously proud of those things and quick to dismiss other peoples’ notions.

Still, the mags he ran have lost a step in other hands, no doubt about it.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Reading his articles was a bit like opening an unexpected pakage. The label may not describe what was inside but was usually interesting.

Like Warren Paige, he used odd verbiage at times. I am not quite sure where exactly "amidships" is on an animal.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by OGB
Like Warren Paige, he used odd verbiage at times. I am not quite sure where exactly "amidships" is on an animal.

Right dab in the middle

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by OGB

Right dab in the middle

In other words, too far back.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by OGB

Right dab in the middle

In other words, too far back.

I didn't say that. I took this deer as he was going into the thick brush. Hit him "amid ship" and went right down, didn't make half a body length

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by OGB
Reading his articles was a bit like opening an unexpected pakage. The label may not describe what was inside but was usually interesting.

In the middle, land lubber 😁

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Originally Posted by OGB

In the middle, land lubber 😁

HAHA you're onto me!

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gaperry59
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

Yes, that book is all over the place, but yet I've read it several times.

I also read it many times. Had too to pull out data and wanted too. LOL

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Never really cared for his work.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
He was definitely the crusty old timer like “get off my lawn [bleep] it!” guy, but I enjoyed his articles usually read them last as I was finishing up the Rifle/Handloader magazine. He definitely understands the big bore handgun world.

We deal in lead, friend.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I always read is column in Handloader. Haven't read his books yet. I figure the content of messages he got from readers could have exacerbated his inner curmudgeon :-)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

244 members (16penny, 204guy, 1_deuce, 280Ackleyrized, 260Remguy, 12344mag, 30 invisible), 2,344 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,621
Posts18,474,017
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.