Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by GF1
Some of his writing interested me, but mostly the content and his expertise. He’s far from alone in his writing tendencies and style.

I never noticed decent prose running out of Papa Keith’s pen either, but I like and enjoy his work very much also.
Yeah, ole Elmer wasn’t a polished literary type, but he was a great story teller and had loads of on hand experience, making him a very interesting read. Thank God for editors.

DF

Have posted this before, but I know one of the guys who edited Elmer's Guns & Ammo copy--which was composed by Elmer himself on an old typewriter. Apparently one of the frequent typographic errors was substituting an "i" for the "o" when Elmer attempted to type the word "shot." (As you'll note, the "i" and "o" are next to each other on the standard keyboard.)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Having worked for Dave , personally guided him on a brown bear hunt and spend numerous evenings With him and his wife Roberta I got to know him quite well. He is an intelligent man and did a commendable job of running Wolfe Publishing. Like all of us He has his faults and foibles but was quick to spot an imposter and didn’t suffer fools well. One of his outstanding traits is that he never seems to be at a loss for words.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
458, have you ever thought about putting your articles together in a book? I'd be on that pre-order list!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We need an autobiography, or at least a biography.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by GF1
Some of his writing interested me, but mostly the content and his expertise. He’s far from alone in his writing tendencies and style.

I never noticed decent prose running out of Papa Keith’s pen either, but I like and enjoy his work very much also.
Yeah, ole Elmer wasn’t a polished literary type, but he was a great story teller and had loads of on hand experience, making him a very interesting read. Thank God for editors.

DF

Have posted this before, but I know one of the guys who edited Elmer's Guns & Ammo copy--which was composed by Elmer himself on an old typewriter. Apparently one of the frequent typographic errors was substituting an "i" for the "o" when Elmer attempted to type the word "shot." (As you'll note, the "i" and "o" are next to each other on the standard keyboard.)

That's awesome!

Haha!

I am MAGA.
IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
It's silly....but what soured me a bit on Scoville was when he went off on Frank Barnes.

My favorite night time book was COTW.

It all seemed unnecessary....but maybe they had a long running dispute.

It was all over the 32 Win Special if I remember correctly.

Hell...Scoville could have easily been correct....but I didn't like the way he went about it.

I am MAGA.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by GF1

DF

I have a letter from Elmer, " type written". When he made a mistake he'd x it out & keep going. Truly a CHARACTER

"not too grumpy"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know Jeremiah Polacek and Rob Leahy, who builds holsters in Prescott, have been discussing it with me. I certainly am willing

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by 458Win
I know Jeremiah Polacek and Rob Leahy, who builds holsters in Prescott, have been discussing it with me. I certainly am willing
Please do it !!! TELL THEM TO PRINT PLENTY !!!

"not too grumpy"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 458Win
Here's one sure sale!

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
".....I really don't care for that man."

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think one of the best, most practical articles Scovill wrote was on case neck tension and crimping. He tested various scenarios in the .45 Colt, adjusting neck tension via different size expanders. By far the best accuracy and least velocity variation was with a tight bullet fit (high neck tension) and a strong crimp. A tight crimp alone could not make up for low neck tension.

He also helped Doug Turnbull design the .475 Turnbull cartridge, based on the .50-110 case. I have a Ruger #1 so chambered, and it is easily the most accurate big bore rifle I have seen.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

413 members (10Glocks, 1moredeer, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 163bc, 1Longbow, 40 invisible), 1,999 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,541
Posts18,531,282
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.